On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@meadowrose – Are you planning on completing your run-through of NuWho first before watching more of the Classic Series? I still need to watch all of the Eleventh’s seasons… and I think there’s still one or two episodes I haven’t watched of the Tenth’s (just specials though… I think). So I’m not completely up to date on the new series either. I usually just waffle on about Classic Who… so don’t mind me. And Tomb of the Cybermen is a brilliant episode in my opinion, you do have to get used to watching Classic Who if its new to you I know. But you got to love the Second Doctor, right? You can’t not love him!

@cedarbranchtardis – Oh I like the Ninth Doctor, wasn’t sure on him at first but he’s actually pretty awesome.  Hope you both get to know all the Doctors eventually, I think they’re all great.

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@monochromedimension – Yes, I think so.  Though that does raise a question that no doubt you can help with….do you need to watch the show from the very beginning (First Doctor) to really understand what’s going on (I realize some of the shows from very early days are missing) or does NuWho have it’s own story arc?

Yes, I really enjoyed the episodes….we just got a bit of a laugh out of the Cybermen (keeping in mind I had almost literally just watched Rise of the Cybermen and The Age of Steel). The Second Doctor is wonderful….I wish there were more episodes on Netflix but that was the extent of it. Given that there only seems to be a handful of Classic DW episodes, I may watch them sporadically anyway and then when I’m through with NuWho, can start at the beginning. Where do you go about finding Classic DW?  I assume some can be purchased online etc?

@meadowrose – You can easily watch NuWho without watching the Classic Series, however… you won’t get all the references. It is good to watch the classics as then you will know much more about the Whoniverse and the Doctor himself… but you don’t have to watch them in order. I mean you can try, but as a number of 60s Who is missing it isn’t the easiest task… I’m not watching them in order; I’m just collecting stories randomly… that being said though, its probably quite useful to watch them all in order, just not obligatory.

Glad you liked the episodes and the Second Doctor! I adore 60s black and white Who… might be kinda obvious due to my username though. As to where to find them, I buy the DVDs, but that’s because I’m trying to collect all the stories. You can buy a few off iTunes as well… but the selection is a bit limited. Might be a better idea to buy them in order than my method of just picking random episodes actually! I am also planning on getting the audio of the missing episodes so in a way the collection will be complete… kind of.

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@monochromedimension – Excellent, thank you!  I may start working on collecting them while watching NuWho. There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching episodes randomly but I’m one of those crazies who divides my M&Ms by colour and then eats them alphabetically….so needless to say, I’d also aim to watch the show in some kind of order. Sad but true!

I’m perusing the interwebs as we speak………

@meadowrose – I can understand why you’d want to watch them in order, it is far more organized than my method. Anyhow, I wish you luck on your quest for episodes; I’m going to be buying some more Third, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctor DVDs soon hopefully…that and The Moonbase (Second) which is released this month. I’m trying to wait for the DVD release of Web Of Fear (again, Second) than buying it on iTunes… its not easy, especially since I recently watched Enemy of the World (Second again!) which I enjoyed a lot, even though its not the most Doctor Who-esque of episodes… if that makes any sense.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@meadowrose

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Dont worry, you can watch the new series before you watch the classic series, as long as you still watch the classic series eventually (which you seem to be doing). I hate it when people only watch the new series, it would be fine if they watched a couple of classic episodes and felt that it just wasn’t for them, they’ve at least made the effort. It’s when people can’t be bothered to watch it because “it’s old” and completely ignore it’s existence that gets on my wick. But I’m just rambling, as I said you’re not like that.

Also as @monochromedimension said you don’t need to watch the classic series in order, I’ve been watching it since I was a toddler in the late 90’s and I haven’t even seen half of the stories.

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

OK folks… Just throwing this one out there for your input.

I’m hoping to submit a piece for publication on ‘Supernatural Horror in Classic Who’ and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be worth including. I’ve got the following as standards…

• The Daemons
    • The Brain of Morbius
    • The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    • The Stones of Blood
    • State of Decay
    • Image of the Fendahl (might be a push, I guess I’ll have to re-watch)

If anyone can think of anything else, even if there’s the slightest of supernatural elements, I’d love to hear your ideas!

Thanks, Andy

@fiveroundsrapid Ghost Light possibly

@thekrynoidman

Ghost Light! Awesome!!

I did initially consider that but couldn’t remember if the sci-fi element overshadowed any supernatural. Either way there IS a supernatural aspect to it so it needs to be considered

Haven’t seen it for years so another one to re-watch 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fiveroundsrapid Curse of Fenric has some supernatural elements too.

@thekrynoidman It certainly does!! I keep forgetting about the the later McCoy stories!! I’m firmly stuck in the Barry Letts/Philip Hinchcliffe era 🙂

Could use The Horror of Fang Rock as well, although I’m being swayed more by the atmosphere than the content!

ellixin @ellixin

Uhhh hi I’m ellixin I’m a little bit new to the world (sorry, universe) of doctor who. I’ve seen all of the 9th doctor’s adventures with rose and every episode by the 11th doctor, but I’m planning on watching everything from episode 1. I joined the forums because I’m a little over obssessed with doctor who at the moment and kept making way too many references on a different forum *blushes* hopefully I can say stuff here that people will understand and have a conversation about with me ^_^

@thekrynoidman – That bothers me too, its fine if they have tried to watch it and just can’t get into it (and hopefully acknowledge its canon) but if they just ignore the Classic Series… yes that is rather annoying!  But I don’t want to start ranting right now…

@ellixin – Welcome! I’m sure any references you make here will be understood, hah.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings to all the new members, hope you’re all settling in OK. And it doesn’t matter how you watch Dr Who – whether it’s only the new series, only the old (BG) series, only ever/never watch Colin Baker episodes – so long as you enjoy it that’s what counts. Tho a tendency to bonkers theorising always helps around here 🙂

Speaking of which @bluesqueakpip @devilishrobby

Rassilon.  So as far as we know he was “asleep” or yonks. When did he wake up? And why, and who woke him? Has he been participating in the Time War or was he brought back as a last resort by the High Council?  Whose bright idea was that?

@scaryb – Is that a disused Yeti…?

I love the Sixth Doctor, I especially love his COAT! Now I wait for the ‘you’re crazy!’ comments.

Now, about Rassilon… the fact that it hasn’t been explained why that dude was called Rassilon is actually bothering me now. I want to know if he was actually Rassilon, and if so why had he returned?

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@thekrynoidman – Thank you!  I will most definitely be watching the Classic Who as well. If they were more easily accessible, I’d probably watch them first but NuWho is on Netflix almost in it’s entirety so, for obvious reasons, I’m mostly watching those 🙂

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@ellixin – Hi there!  I’m a noob too and only slightly obsessed!  I also understand where you’re coming from….I’ve been watching the Tenth Doctor and “Allons-y” has been a new favourite of mine.  My husband is French Canadian so he just thinks I’m trying to speak French completely out of context 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@monochromedimension

Harrumph!!

a disused yeti???!!!!!

Its very much IN use I’ll have you know. Been on the run since that pesky second Doctor… 😉

I’d say it was definitely intended that that was the original Rassilon – there’s not that many Time Lords who have that much power, megalomania etc. But it’s interesting to speculate on the timing of his return, following the events of Day of the Doctor.

@scaryb – In use Yeti!? Oh my giddy aunt!

And you’re probably right, I doubt they’d make it just some other Time Lord who took on the name (of) Rassilon. But I do hope they’ll explain it at some point.

GallifreyanGirl @gallifreyangirl

hello… I’m new this is my very first post…. I want to make a couple friends and have a good, deep, DW, conversation :3

@gallifreyangirl – Welcome to the forum!

ellixin @ellixin

Help! Im Australian and have developed a slight English tint to my accent! Maybe it’s the all nighter I completed watching nothing but doctor who…  An achievement to me, my friends who are girls say I have no life. Well what else are you supposed to do at night other than watching Rose and Eccleston’s adventures for the fifth time?!

@ellixin – My accent is ridiculously British… but then I am British. Though it even surprises me how I sound when I hear it played back. Hahaha. Though actually I can do quite a good impression of the Second Doctor (even though I’m female)… well I think its a good impression of him anyhow.

ellixin @ellixin

@monochromedimension I love British accents, they sound amazing. Some people think Australian accents are nice but I don’t even think it’s even an accent really. Whenever I’m saying something ‘timey-wimey’ to one of my friends I always tend to pur on an accent very similar to Mr. Matt Smith. Especially when we’re debating on which levers to pull to fly the Tardis.

@ellixin – I think that’s how it is for most folks, you can’t really hear your own accent… though for some reason I can hear mine. I love imitating the Second Doctor’s voice actually, sometimes I just do it randomly in conversation.

And now everyone, some information; on another Doctor Who forum, somebody who recieved a review copy of ‘The Moonbase’ DVD has said that the ‘Coming Soon’ Trailer is ‘The Underwater Menace‘… which has been the subject of debate recently as to if it actually was going to be released. It will be the last Classic Doctor Who DVD to be released (release date still unknown, but it will be after Web of Fear) until any more lost episodes are found. Also I’m guessing it will have animated episodes just like ‘The Moonbase’… unless they’re not telling us they’ve found the missing eps, eh?

@monochromedimension

Interesting re The Underwater Menace. I found this on Twitter a couple of days ago

The Underwater Menace Twitter Timeline

I put a new blog post up earlier re Capaldi’s first day of filming. I’ve put in a stock image from the article that @bluesqueakpip linked to earlier but I’ve also added a fun little fan piece that someone put together on the back of the BBC release

Come have a look http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/and-so-it-begins

@fiveroundsrapid – Yes I had heard something about the animation being halted, perhaps they have found the other episodes? But we know it will be released on DVD now… so either its going to be a long while before its actually released… or they truly have found the episodes. But there have been so many missing episode rumors about lately…

And about your blog post; I’m also very excited about the next season… mainly because of Capaldi (yay for an older Doctor again!). I really hope we find out what his outfit will be soon…

Just went on a Doctor Who DVD shopping spree, I bought;

Dalek War Boxset (Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks)
    Death to the Daleks
    Earthshock
    The Five Doctors
    Trial of a Time Lord Boxset (Mysterious Planet/Mind Warp/Terror of the Vervoids/The Ultimate Foe)
    The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
    Doctor Who: The Movie

And I still have The Sensorites to watch which I got for Christmas. Not to mention I want to buy The Moonbase soon. Well this is going to help with my DVD collection, eh? Yep!

Its William Hartnell’s birthday today; who played the First Doctor (my favourite). Therefore I have a question for… anyone really, what’s your favourite story from the First Doctor? Or, if you haven’t got to watching any yet, which serial would you like to watch? (That can also go for missing episodes.)

I can’t pick my favourite, I’ve liked all the serials I’ve watched; but I really hope Daleks Master Plan gets found one day.

theprettyreckless @theprettyreckless

Hello,Canadian here,new to the forum,long time fan!

Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to contributing! I’ve taken a look around and I’ve seen much great input from you guys!

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@theprettyreckless – *waving from Ontario*

This place is great!  So many wonderful people….I’m a bit of a lurker at present as I’m new to the Whoniverse and working my way through the series’ so don’t have much to say yet but I love reading what everyone writes! Can’t wait to see what your thoughts are!

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

Hello!  Room for another newbie?

I’ve watched pretty much every televised Doctor Who story since  – well, since I was old enough to realise what a television is, I suppose! My early memories are of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen – Sarah Jane remains my favourite companion to this day – but my all-time favourite Doctor is the Second and I’ve a soft spot for Jamie and Zoe too.

I’m liable to fulminate a bit on occasion about the revived series – don’t get me started on the whole 10/Rose thing! – but I take the view that even pretty poor Doctor Who is still better than 85% of anything else on the telly.  And I’ve been fascinated since discovering this forum by the theories you clever people come up with!  I’ll try to contribute intelligently, but you do set standards pretty high!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@theprettyreckless @meadowrose @confusedpolarity

Welcome (and to anyone else who has signed in recently I’ve not mentioned – been away for a few days so still catching up). Plenty of room on the Sofa @confusedpolarity. We can always knock a wall through if required.

@monochromedimension

There are quite a few Hartnell stories I really enjoy for different reasons. It’s probably a bit of a cliche to name The Daleks and The Aztecs, so on an early blog about Top stories I named Tenth Planet (which I like, but which isn’t a strong Hartnell story for understandable reasons) and The Time Meddler.

The last one reminds me we are due to start another retrospective of episodes soon, and it looks like The Time Meddler will be the choice (and I didn’t vote for it, but delighted to see it crop up).

theprettyreckless @theprettyreckless

@meadowrose

I’m from Ontario too,freezing weather!But perfect for staying indoors for a Doctor Who marathon!

@theprettyreckless – Welcome to the forum!

@confusedpolarity – Also… welcome! I too love the Second Doctor, he’s probably my second favourite… while the First Doctor is… my first favourite? Okay. Yes. I think that made sense.

@phaseshift – Ah ‘The Daleks’, great serial! And ‘The Time Meddler’ is also a awesome story; glad to hear its going to be the subject of a blog soon. I just finished watching ‘The Sensorites’ for the first time; as others have said it is rather slow moving but I enjoyed it, had some great moments from the Doctor. I like the scene where he took control of the situation and piloted the spaceship.

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@theprettyreckless – Bitterly cold indeed!  And as you say, an excellent excuse to stay inside and spend time with the Doctor 🙂

@monochromedimension

My favourite Hartnell’s are The Keys of Marinus and The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

My favourite Doctor would probably be either Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee, although I think that Peter Capaldi might end up eclipsing them when series 8 starts.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

I wasn’t quite sure where to post this as its not a spoiler, its more of my personal wishes/observations. On the matter of the the new costume hmm if they are only just starting filming the 1st episode i suspect the reveal will be right at the end of the episode much like when Matt’s costume was “cooked”  in the eleventh hour and yes i do know that scenes are usually filmed out of sequence but i suspect security will be tight to prevent premature  spoilers. though once they start filming subsequent  episodes it  will be nigh impossible for the costume to be kept secret unless of course the decide to do something absolutely radical like not having a set costume and having him like normal ppl wearing different things on different days lol ( that i really don’t think will happen as each doctor is defined  as much by his character as his costume).

On another note how many of you are as frustrated that the new season will not be starting till late summer/early autumn .  I for one would like to see a longer season. I personally would think i had died and gone to heaven if  they decided to do the States thing where a series that is well established gets a full season of 20-22 episodes and with DW now hitting it bigger than ever in the States much in thanks to Mr Smith I would have thought the American distributors would have been clamouring for longer series’s, (please take note auntie beeb). I suppose going back to a one block season has its advantages but the very reason for splitting the season into two half’s i.e. fans clamouring for the series’s return,to ease production schedules oh and to allow scheduling slots were very valid. if they were to increase the series length  the dissatisfaction some fans felt over the brake in the series  story arcs would quite possibly be alleviated. Alternatively perhaps along  with the Xmas special they could have an easter special to help alleviate the cravings we  hard core fans have for Who, although i do appreciate this year with the passing of the mantle so to speak doing a easter special would be difficult as they would not have been able to develop the Capaldi`s doctors character and a special is not really the place to be introducing/developing a characters to do this.

right that me finished sounding off for now

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@devilishrobby

We’ve had the ‘longer seasons’ argument before. It’s not really possible; Doctor Who has a combination of a leading actor who’s in almost every scene and a genre that needs a lot of post-production. As it is, they film for eight months and they’re still in post-production for months after the principle filming; it wouldn’t surprise me terribly if the last episode of the series was delivered to the BBC a week before broadcast, just in time for the TV critics advance screening.

If you want to see the effect that the schedule has on the leading actor, look at pics of David Tennant in The Christmas Invasion vs. David Tennant in The End of Time. Or Matt Smith in The Eleventh Hour vs. Matt Smith in The Name of The Doctor. In each case they’re barely four years older – and look about ten.

@devilishrobby

@bluesqueakpip has made a really good point there. I’ve just started re-watching Matt’s run again, and after sitting through The Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below it is pretty amazing to see just how young he looks in those early episodes. The rigorous schedule is always something that comes up in interviews and it wouldn’t surprise me if it continues to be an issue for future actors in the role.

Somehow I doubt we’ll ever be seeing someone play The Doctor for as long as Tom Baker did as the production and structure of the modern TV show has changed considerably since those early days of Who.

Interestingly enough the length of the modern series is roughly the same in terms of minutes on the screen as the classic series used to be. For instance a standard 13 episode run of around 45 mins per episode approximately equates to 26 episodes at around 22-23 mins per episode. The classic series usually had 6-7 stories in each season with 4 episodes per story (with the odd two or six parter thrown in every now and then).

So we’re still getting pretty much the same amount of Who screen-time as we were 30-40 years ago, it just doesn’t really feel like it 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Good point about how much the actors age/grow doing DW.   Not necessarily all bad, but it certainly shows in their faces.

Re the schedule – I believe the series 8 filming goes on till August

@fiveroundsrapid The first few years of BG* Doctor Who had 48 (25mins) episodes/year, filmed every week. 4 weeks off in the summer (was very grumpy for those 4 weeks, haha). But as Bluesqueakpip says the post-production is much more extensive these days. I’d guess at least 3 months intense work for each episode.

Quantity wouldn’t necessarily make it better. I’m happy so long as the creative team is firing on all cylinders (with a few deadlines to keep a little bit of motivational pressure on).

@devilishrobby Wouldn’t it be great if they could surprise us with the costume and keep it under wraps till screening? No, I know it ain’t gonna happen. Expect a photo release mid Jan.

@wolfweed My eyes!!! 😉

*BG = Before Gap

Anonymous @

re what @bluesqueakpip, @ScaryB, @fiveroundsrapid  and others said above, yep, the principal actors aged alright. I remember that Tennant agreed to do some video blogs (or whatever they’re called) during his first and possibly second series -even by the end of year 1 he looked shocking: black, eyes, bad skin…it’s an awful filming sequence. Most of the time, they were filming in bitter cold and all through the night. Fancy trying to be all ‘sciency’ ; ‘doing a clever thing’; being  jolly and remembering difficult, fast lines such as in Midnight? Glory Be…talk about @rob (is it?) and the coffee pot being well used 🙂

@thekrynoidman – ‘The Dalek Invasion of Earth’ makes me cry at the end… its done really well that scene…

I love both the Third and Fourth Doctors too, but as I have stated before I like all the Doctors. Capaldi is going to be a great Doctor, I just know it. I doubt my favourite being the First will change any time soon though.

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

@thekrynoidman – I have that feeling about Capaldi as well.  He’s a superb actor, a massive fan, and he’s got some pretty good writing talent behind the scripts.  I may criticise Steven Moffat for being a bit over-ambitious at times (The Time of the Doctor suffered a tad from that in my opinion) but I general I like what he does with the show.  I’m trying to keep a lid on my expectations, but the potential for something really special is definitely there.

@devilishrobby – I’d like a longer series, but in practical terms I just don’t see how it could be done, or funded.  If we can get between 12 and 14 high-quality episodes a year I’ll be a very happy bunny, and while the wait for Series 8 seems interminable at the moment I remember watching on chilly autumn evenings in the 70s as a child so I’m happy to go back to that now.

It’d be great if they could keep PC’s costume a secret, but frankly I’m amazed nothing’s leaked already on the grounds that it’s surely been approved and made up by now!  I’m assuming there’ll be an official unveiling in the next 2/3 weeks, in good time for shooting on the second episode to start.  The last thing they’ll want is a blurry image on the internet stealing their thunder!

chickenelly @chickenelly

Hurrah! Finally got a broadband connection.

Never mind the Tardis, this last month has been like a trip back to the 90s. No internet at home, only at work. Damn you Talk Talk and your rubbish service!

I’ve switched to BT thhssspp *blows raspberry in the direction of Talk Talk’s dodgy call centre*

Have I missed much?

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@chickenelly

Have I missed much?

The real question should be: have we missed you? And the answer is a resounding YES! Welcome back from the fog of a pre-internet age.

Of course, there is stuff for you to catch up on: lots of interesting new blogs, lots of new lurkers-who-became-posters, and lots of Who stuff from around the web courtesy of @wolfweed

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@confusedpolarity

The last thing they’ll want is a blurry image on the internet stealing their thunder!

As when they started filming Series 5 in what they thought was an out-of-the-way location. To discover, to their dismay, that the entire Internet was discussing the new Doctor’s costume almost the second Matt Smith stepped out of the costume van.

They’d wanted to keep Alex Kingston’s return quiet, too. Oops! 🙂

Welcome back, @chickenelly. We’ve missed you.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.