On the sofa

Home Forums General On the sofa

This topic contains 1,040 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  g33kboi 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

We don’t have a blog-roll on here at present.

You’ve been offline for a while, haven’t you???!

:mrgreen:

rtlloyd98 @rtlloyd98

Thank you all already, 40 view in last hour.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@danmartinuk

Welcome Dan! Thanks for keeping us entertained over the last three years. Looking forward to your next BG (“Before Gap”) Episode blog (we’re trying to eliminate the marketing term “Classic” from our vocab :-D).

I think @craig may have sent verification details to a @danmartin as well, but I’m sure we can delete that one now we know which is the replicant.

@rtlloyd98

I guess if people think we’re big enough to bother registering to promote their blogs we should take it as a compliment. 😉

I had a quick look myself. I don’t really share your concerns on the direction of the show. Generally loved Series 1-4, but I’m enjoying this one even more. Different strokes and all that.

wolfweed @wolfweed

If you like the Movie-Style posters of Series 7, this will interest you…

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/meet-the-designer-behind-those-doctor-who-movie-posters/
    a

ardaraith @ardaraith

Hiding behind the sofa, after visiting….the other place.  There are aliens in the WiFi! eep.

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Thanks @phaseshift has been a pleasure! A little sideline from my normal work that has seemed to explode into quite a big thing. And yes we still have plenty more golden oldie stories to get fishy over. We should have Genesis up this week, after a bit of a gap dealing with all this actual finale business…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@danmartinuk – Looking forward to your views on ‘Genesis’.

gen

Anonymous @

@ardaraith – do you mean ‘Veronica Rose’ in the G blog?  She is an absolute hoot !  She claims to be a professor of literature, yet litters her (extremely long-winded) commments WITH WORDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS, and rants for paragraph after paragraph about how Doctor Who is NOT DOING WHAT SHE WANTS it to do.   And IT’S NOT WHAT CHILDREN WANT.

Her first comment is on page 6 (viewing 50 at a time), not too far down from the top.  I warmly recommend reading her comments (she goes onto page 7) because they are like a parody of the Demanding Fan trope – the one whose own personal vision and desires are not being met by a show’s producers, and she’s LIVID ABOUT IT.   At one point, she threatens S Moffat that her family will stop watching DW if he doesn’t change things to exactly the way she wants, RIGHT NOW.   😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed – LMAO at Genesis pic – you do come up with them! You’ll need to post some more on the Captions thread, once the mad specialtion of this weekend dies down.And thanks for the post with the lnk to the poster man – I think @craig also posted that a few days agao, but it’s definitely worth repeating. That would come close to my dream job, I think… if only I could draw!

@ardaraith – it’s a very dangerous place to visit after Sunday mornings, LOL. Aliens in the wifi – there are indeed! @Shazzbot – yeah, I saw that one as well. <note to self, and anyone else who wants to listen: DON’T FEED THE TROLLS!!!>  And lets leave them on that side of the watery portal.

Anonymous @

@scaryb – ‘Veronica Rose’ richly deserves to go viral in the Whoniverse.  If she’s for real – and I fear she is – she has some pretty heartfelt (ahem) opinions;  and the wider distribution they get, surely the more likely that S Moffat will see them … and act upon them?  😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot VR deserves to be erased from the timeline, LOL. @wolfweed‘s Clara meme DOES deserve to go viral – can you get it started WW?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@scaryb – funnily enough, I’ve just replied to asgill about Genesis of the Daleks. Which he thinks is a “in a completely different league to anything since 2005: it’s a masterpiece of intrigue and dramatic tension played at the level of high quality theatre.”

I’d agree that Michael Wisher was damn good as Davros, but if he thinks the whole thing is high quality theatre, he obviously doesn’t get to see really high quality theatre. :- D

And in fact, Genesis is one of those stories that went up in people’s appreciation because of repeats and video. It wasn’t that well liked at the time; a fan favourite rather than an audience favourite.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb – On starting Clara’s meme: I’ll look upon it as geography homework.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

he obviously doesn’t get to see really high quality theatre.

I suspect he doesn’t get out much at all!

OK it’s a low shot at stereotypes (aren’t they all hehe) –  But he has found paragraphs this week 🙂

@wolfweed :mrgreen:

WhoHar @whohar

Can I just make a teensy request. Can we please avoid talking excessively about posters on the G blog who aren’t posters here. It feels a bit like we’re talking behind their backs. The odd mention is fine but lets leave it to comments about their comments.

Apologies; I don’t want to come across as  prescriptive but we’ve set impressively high standards here and I feel it would be a shame to let that slip.

janetteB @janetteb

For something completely different, or almost. I have been trying to make a list of Who related foods, for the anniversary party. (no harm in planning ahead.)

Thus far I have fishfingers and custard, chips, jammy dodgers, jelly babies, and of course souffle, apples with smiles, grapes and mandarins, (Satsumas in the U.K.) on the menu. I decided against including doormice. (Dr 1 The Romans). Have there been any other notable food references through the ages?

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@whohar Completely agree, with the additional reminder that we are an open forum. In our defence it was a particularly bruising weekend. Many of the comments have disappeared (the replies linked to the ones that get modded) – so it’s ultimately a waste of time. DON’T FEED THE TROLLS (inc on here) – it’s hard, but it only encourages them. <pins big post-it note to computer>

@janetteb That’s a great idea for the anniversary. You can add red wine and champagne too :-) And big luminous blue fruit (you may have to go to Akhaten market for those)

WhoHar @whohar

@janetteb

What a great idea.

I can only think of Wine Gums (TIA?) but feel sure there were a few others mentioned in tEH – “you’re Scottish, fry something” sequence.

Pertwee sips a “good red” in Day of the Daleks.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@janetteb

Who food for a Who bash…brilliant!

There was the ham and eggs that the Doctor cooked for Craig in “The Lodger”, which Craig thought was awesome. And as @whohar reminds me, Pertwee did indeed enjoy a good red. (Come to think of it, perhaps it was Pertwee who set me on a path that led to the Qantas Club Lounge–not to mention the blenkinsop cellar).

Oh, and @whohar, can I second your thoughts about comments? As The Doctor said in “Cold Blood”, we have to strive to be “the best of humanity”.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@whohar

Inspired by your “Pertwee and a good red” reference, Mrs Blenkinsop and I are off to our local wine bar, for it is the end of the day, and there is much more for the two of us to discuss about “The Name of the Doctor”. I briefly thought of going as the 3rd Doctor, but even I recognise that ruffle shirts are best left back in the early ’70s.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Re: Themed food.

When I was at art college, the dinner ladies (presumably to while away the time) would put on ‘specials’ at Halloween.  Occasionally they’d dye the food funny colours or describe things like raisins as ‘flies’, you know the sort of thing.

It occurs to me that we can take it a step farther, by recreating food in the shape of Who monsters – ie a white pudding could be one of those maggoty things (sorry @phaseshift) from Green Death, a Sontaran is clearly a baked potato, etc.

In fact I was scoffing a baked potato with my tea last night, curses I missed the chance to fashion the foil wrapper into one of those high-necked battle uniforms.

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@janetteb Bananas?

WhoHar @whohar

@blenkinsopthebrave

ruffle shirts are best left back in the early ’70s

Indeed.  Although burgundy velvet jackets are very on-trend (at least I think they are)

@satsumajoe.

@janetteb Bananas?

Well, she can be a little odd at times…;-)

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@whohar – good call, though in my defence things did get a little bruising over there. There were a couple of moments when I had to delete the post I was about to send.

🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@whohar It’s a great comment (over there) but I really really mean it – feeding only encourages them. They will ALWAYS come back for the final comment, it’s what they love. If you don’t feed them they don’t go away but they don’t take up half a page of comments. (And no, I rarely take my own advice but I’m trying really really hard this time!) 😉

@bluesqueakpip *proud of you* 🙂

Anonymous @

@whohar – {hangs head}  You’re right, and I felt bad afterward about commenting on a G person’s posts (and I don’t even have alcohol consumption in my defence last night!), because a while back I myself asked if we could leave G people and their fractiousness over there and I knew I looked like a hypocrite.

But … (and you knew there was a but!)

Some people have a level of self-awareness so low, and a sense of entitlement so huge, that it’s extremely hard not to point and laugh.  Ignore them I shall, though, so these fair pages can remain pleasant.

WhoHar @whohar

@scaryb

Yes, I don’t really take my own advice. Just been back on the G and it’s unfortunately degenerated into insults (not on my side I hasten to add). Always a sign that the argument, sorry discussion, is lost.

@Shazzbot @bluesqueakpip  @everyone

You are right and it’s frustrating. Self restraint is the way to go. I was not having a go at any posts in particular – and they weren’t that bad – but this is a nice space – any destructive arguments are best left at the G IMHO.

Anonymous @

I concur with @whohar on this. I’ve been vainly trying to point out to one poster in particular over on the G that  discussion should always be about the show rather than the person making the points. Or about the showrunner. (I notice there was someone once again calling for Moffatt’s head on a plate. Perspective, much?)

However, in our defence (but not to get all schoolyardy) this blog and therefore presumably its members have already been the victim of some rather catty and snide put-downs over on the G. But that’s no excuse for us to lower the tone over here. I think we should definitely try to be as inclusive and welcoming as possible. As is now painfully evident on the Guardian blog for this episode, when you make it personal the ‘conversation’ just degenerates into chaotic white noise. When you descend to personal insult, it’s not just that you’ve lost the argument but that you’ve given up on the argument altogether. I personally think that, without exception, the members of this site are better than that.

I am working on a blogpost about how the internet has changed the face of fandom but I’m going to hold off on posting it until the excitement of the episode has worn off and we’re in the middle of the summer doldrums.

ScaryB @scaryb

The psychology of blog-boards is fascinating – but long exposure is probably not healthy 😉

@jimthefish I look forward to reading your thoughts on this and the internet in general.

When’s it November?  :mrgreen:

<aagh! I shouldn’t be wishing my life away at my time of life, LOL>

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@whohar– good point well made, we should be better on here. (The best revenge is living well etc).

In future I shall resist the temptation. This is a genuinely nice space. 🙂

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Welcome to new members!!!

Hello everyone, we seem to have had quite a few new sign-ups recently.

In particular delighted to see someone called @janisthorns – I always liked Leela’s fights with Four about those. And I see at least one new member of Clan Fish @mzellepoisson . Swim on in and join the rest of us in @whohar‘s bath, kindly set up here for the purpose by @scaryb [the Weeping Angel in the blue fez – watch out for her :-)]

Sorry we haven’t been able to tempt @TheGrimSqueaker over from The Guardian yet, because I was so happy to see that moniker.

It’s a slightly bonkers, delightfully playful place, this, in case you haven’t caught the flavour yet.

Now the dust of the Season 7 finale has begun to settle everyone’s deep into the time-loop ramifications of Clara’s scattering throughout the Doctor’s time-line over on the episode thread.

Meanwhile I’m wearing my red and blue bow-ties and having an extended “all the red and blue” things party with my doppleganger-fish.

Do drop by the sofa and say hello. Or just get stuck into the temporal quantum mechanics, whatever takes your fancy!

Also waving to all of you viewing from deep-space in your TARDISes without landing, from our sofa, currently strewn with party fezzes and some Victorian dress-up.

@craig is our lovely webmaster and @jimthefish and @phaseshift are our over-lords mods. They seem to be writing poetry from the bath-tub and timey-wimey ball-of-stuff theorising at present.

Welcome to The Doctor Who Forum!

Tournikate @tournikate

Hello all

I’m new – finally took the leap from browsing around (being snoopy?? lol) to joining all you fine folks.  I have the distinction of being the ONLY Doctor Who fan in my hometown (I am working on making converts…) so especially after an episode like this last one I go a little crazy because I just want to talk about it and hear what others think!

Glad to have found you 🙂

Anonymous @

Hello @tournikate!  I feel bad about your lack of Who fans locally, but think of us here as your ‘local’.

Now, nip on over to the episode threads and start theorising with us!  🙂

Whisht @whisht

Food huh?

well, there’s fruit….

That one may well be @satsumajoe….. but maybe not…..

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

I think I have an avatar @Shazzbot. That, and a neighbour with quite beady eyes. Ta @whisht!

Anonymous @

@whisht – I saw in my ‘mentions’ that you picked up on my Valley Girl reference (no matter what the context, I simply cannot say the word ‘totally’ without drawling it properly!).

However, I can’t go into the music thread – I tried again tonight and got the same freezing-up; I don’t appear to have enough bandwidth to handle pages with so many video links.  🙁

Just so you know, I was an actual Valley Girl for many years – well, not the shopping with Daddy’s credit card and the inane dumbed-down chatter – but I lived in the San Fernando Valley north of LA for yonks.  I have been to the Galleria a few times, though.  🙂

Whisht @whisht

ah @Shazzbot – indeed – the music thread freezes on me on the ol’ wifi as well (there must be something in the wifi….. hmm, there’s another network available…. eek!).

so, here’s what I gave you.
    No surprises methinks!

Whisht @whisht

ah @satsumajoe – that’s wonderful!!

thank you! I’m so glad you liked it.

However, feel free to ditch it for another one, whenever you fancy (no offense will be taken!)

aww, we’re a friendly bunch!

Whisht @whisht

now, its a school night, and I really should go back to my hotel room (bedroom), but I’m still in the Departure Lounge, have snuck in to the Rioja, and am idly wondering whether our overlord @craig ever says….

“Klytus I’m booooooored.

What plaything can you offer me today?”

aw c’mon.

tell me you don’t think this a hundred times a day……

fibbers!

TP222 @tp222

Hi there, I’m new here and was wondering if this is the place to find answers to mysteries  that have accumulated in my mind during the last few series. I think I understandwhy there weren’t any ducks on the duckpond in Leadworth (for ages I thought that was the key to the whole Amy/Rory/cracks business), but I’m definitely not sure who was building a Tardis upstairs at Craig’s (I’d love to think it was John Hurt), nor what the Amy and Rory glimpsed in the distance during the Hungry Earth were all about. All help gratefully received.

Anonymous @

Welcome @tp222 — and other newcomers…

There are more mental theories on these boards than you could swing a Cybermat at. But there are also more than a few relatively credible explanations to be found too. Dive in and please don’t be shy to contribute yourselves…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ Everyone. As you may know @htpbdet had to, in his words, “go into a bit of confinement” on Saturday. Well his nephew got in touch with me to tell me that he is still in confinement, so still hasn’t seen Saturday’s episode, but is back writing again, which sounds like good news to me.

He has written a lengthy piece (did you expect anything else 😀 ) on Troughton which I will post in the blog shortly. His nephew said he apologises for the length, and also said “Uncle is writing a lot of things to keep himself busy” so we may see more from him shortly.

He signed of with a thank you, directed to us all, “for making my Uncle happy”, and called himself Mini-HTPBDET(S) “Uncle said that last bit might make you laugh”.

Anonymous @

@craig – fantastic news!  I look forward to the Troughton piece.

And of course that last bit makes us laugh!

Anonymous @

Sorry, @ all the newer recruits to this site – in-jokes should be explained so everyone can enjoy them.

HTPBDET is one of the most knowledgeable Doctor Who fans there are – check out his blog posts, and go to his profile and read some of his comments.   His moniker is derived from the Doctors he holds closest to his heart – Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker (Tom), Davison, Ecclestone, Tennant.

(although, my personal mnemonic is How To Punish Bad Daleks – Ex-Terminate!)

We have not yet been able to persuade HTPBDET to add Smith to his moniker but he told us that his nephew does rate Matt Smith highly – hence the humour in his nephew being HTPBDETS.  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor
    ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Thanks for being the go between and thanks for posting @HTPBDETs beautiful piece of writing. Fairly packs a punch.  Thanks also to Mini-HTPBDET(S) (And yes it did!) 🙂 If you’re back in touch tell him we’re looking forward to having his uncle fully back soon as he’s up to it (and that NotD is worth waiting for!).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb I’ve replied to Mini-HTPBDET(S), thanking him for the update. I ended it by saying “Please send him all our best wishes, tell him we are all glad he is writing again, and that we are all waiting for his opinion on The Name of the Doctor!”

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Perfect 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Great news @craig, thank you.

Its wonderful that though we don’t ‘know’ each other, other than through posts about a TV show, no matter whether you’re just lurking, dipping in with a question or thought, or writing treatises, there’s an honest concern over the health of people here.

Thanks again Craig for the space for that to flourish.

Looking forward to hearing from you again @htpbdet (and a sincere thanks to your nephew for passing on your update).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Yes – best wishes to @htpbdet and thanks to mini-HTPBDET(S) for the post.

It must be hugely frustrating for him not to have seen the episode yet, but we’ll be around for his thoughts. I’m saving his latest post until I’m a bit more alert.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 1,040 total)

The topic ‘On the sofa’ is closed to new replies.