The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

This topic contains 963 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    CraigNixon @craignixon

Thanks Shazz, just checked and the possible possible was announced but better safe than sorry.

@scaryb – Apologies

Dorium.Maldovar @dorium-maldovar-2

Moffat says that he will try to reach 100th anniversary. I don’t think that this is possible because a Time Lord can regenerate only 13 times. We are now in the Eleventh Doctor and we’re going to the Twelfth. How on Earth can Peter Capaldi or the person that he’ll play the Thirteenth Doctor stay on the show until 2063? Moffat may try to make a trick so the Doctor will regenerate in other 13 times. Who knows anyway?

Registered 2 hours ago…

Posting apparently to get post count up…

Drops troll question number 37b (compare real world statement with controversial canon, re regen)….

Axe falling in 3,2,1……

Anonymous @

@pedant – your bloodthirstiness always makes me grin.

Do I need to dust off that Menopausal Maniac picture, again?  Shotguns are the new axe.  😀

Anonymous @

<sniffs> is that the full bodied aroma of an imposter I smell?

Do I need to dust off that Menopausal Maniac picture, again?

@shazzbot, please do, it makes me chuckle 🙂

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox – your wish is my command.

Newbies beware – this Forum is protected!

Anonymous @

Fab 😆

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @scaryb – I’ve just had a truly bonkers idea, one revolving around ‘what is in plain sight’.

The name of the 50th anniversary special is ‘The Day of the Doctor’.  Could this actually be a 75-minute episode which takes place all in one day?  Could it be an hommage to ‘Groundhog Day’?  But with added wibbley-wobblyness, and timey-wimeyness?

What if the Doctor is given the opportunity / challenge to live just one more, single day, with the caveat that if he thinks he’s ‘all that‘, that he’ll be able to resolve several outstanding plot threads (erm, conquer all the baddies / cauterise the Time War wound / fold the Hurt Doctor into himself / deal with the Time Lords’ time lock for once and for all etc), all in that self-same day?  And he manages in that day to encounter himself in various prior incarnations (remember, wibbley-wobbly-timey-wimey), with a prior companion or two, all of which is aided and abetted by Clara who’s still in his timestream – and who is still trying to put the GI’s various nefarious dealings right?

I probably should have thought this bonkers theory through a bit more before presenting it.  But I’d like to hear your thoughts on a literal translation of ‘The Day of the Doctor’.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@Shazzbot — I haven’t been paying attention to this thread for a bit, so maybe someone else has already said this, but Day of the Doctor is a bit like Day of the Daleks, yes? So, as you say, the Doctor gets a chance to rectify the problems with the Hurt Doctor, the Time War and so on and so forth, but actually ends up causing them instead? Just like the guerrillas in the above-mentioned Pertwee classic.

Which would be a pretty bleak way to celebrate, but you never know!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@arkleseizure

Now that is an excellent theory. Definitely agree that “Day of the Daleks” is being alluded to. Whatever happens, I am certain it will relate back to BG Who in some important respect.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@arkleseizure and @blenkinsopthebrave

The thing about Day of the Daleks that excites me is that there’s this centuries long time loop in it. Namely, the one in which the rebels cause everything to happen.

The time loop then collapses when the Doctor manages to change a small detail.

Anyway, it would be fun if we discover that the AG Who has been this centuries long time loop…

janetteB @janetteb

Somebody, (apologies to the person responsible for my lack of credit) recently remarked that Day of the Daleks is one of Steven Moffat’s favourite stories so it does indeed seem likely that the Day of the Doctor will involve a time loop/paradox this time involving the Doctor and the Time War. It is possible that the Hurt Doctor exists in a time loop so won’t count as an actual regeneration.

Cheers

Janette

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@Shazzbot – had similar thoughts about Groundhog Day when the name was announced #17122 🙂

Tend to agree with the posts above that suggest the special is going to focus on a massive timeloop.  I’m still also convinced that the Hurt Doctor is a potential future Doctor – someone that 10 and 11 know they could become and fear doing so because they meet him and know what he does during this special.  He is the outcome of this particular loop and is the Doctor’s future until they break out of the loop.  I’m just not buying the Doc 8.5 thing, they’ve been too keen to drop hints in that direction while being really controlling about everything else (WHERE’S THE TRAILER!?)  However it pans out I’m sure, as @janetteb suggests, the Hurt Doctor will only exist in the time loop we’re watching, rather than leading to a renumbering headache.

I’m still convinced the start of The Eleventh Hour is crucial.  What was it about the regeneration of D10 – D11 that was so strong it blew up the TARDIS?  My guess is that it was because this regeneration was a paradox that the TARDIS has been struggling to maintain, because the D10 – D11 regeneration has – or should have – occurred elsewhere and D11 already existed, but outside of this timeloop.  We’ve already seen plenty of hints of 2 versions of D11 and we’ve already seen that paradoxes can blow up the TARDIS (River Song in The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang for example).

Right, me n the little’un have got a date with The Aztecs 🙂

Hudsey @hudsey

Hello folks

My first ever post this, but before I give you my crazy theory on the 50th special I want to say thanks to you for such an entertaining forum. I’ve spent many an evening reading through stuff on here, keep up the good work.

So my theory may be quickly dismissed by most as I think MS’s speech in the last episode gives a pretty good explanation that the John Hurt doctor ‘broke the promise’ of the nature of the doctor. That makes it sound as though the promise was made and then the JH doc broke it. But I think we have been deliberately misled on this point.. I think the JH doc is the first and original incarnation of the doctor, but he is the person that existed with his original name before he renamed himself as the doctor. In short, JH did something so bad that his conscience made him recreate himself, his whole personality again and to spend the rest of his days atoning for his sins. Becoming a doctor and fighting to help the innocent is his way of getting over whatever he did. Some time lords actually have a name and not a title, so choosing a title may be a way to reinvent oneself to the time lord community to be accepted again, like a purging of all the characteristics of the previous person.

Some things that make me think I’m right…. Firstly, we have already done the time war. Rassilon almost restoring Galifrey next to Earth and failing kind of closes that whole thread in my eyes. Also, the time war was created by RTD and not Moffat. I think Moffat wants to take us somewhere completely new, and the start of the whole doctor who story must surely be the place to go for a 50th anniversary. Another big thing for me is how much classic who could get into the show if it is all time war and onwards… It needs to go further back to be a proper birthday for the character.

If JH is the original identity of the doctor this could also mean something pretty amazing.. We could see the FIRST regeneration. IE John hurt into William Hartnell… Or at least that guy who is playing him in the upcoming doctor who drama. That much lauded programme would be a great cover story for getting a WH and Susan in a studio without rousing suspicion and to prevent a leak…. It would also mean we see the day he becomes the doctor.. Thus explaining the name of the episode!

Well that’s my 2p worth. Sorry if someone has already suggested this, or indeed if something else in the doc’s history makes this impossible.

@hudsey

So my theory may be quickly dismissed by most

You really are new around here, aren’t you?

(Actually, I rather like your theory)

@hudsey

I like your theory as well as @pedant. (don’t ask me why we have to refer to him that way…it just is.)

The the only thing about your theory that I wonder about is that when the Hartnell Doctor first encounters the Daleks it really does seem like the first time. But…it would be entirely possible for the Hurt Doctor to also encounter them in a timey wimey way. So…yes! Maybe!

janetteB @janetteb

@hudsey. You certainly know how to get a welcome to this forum. Come up with a bonkers theory. Well done. I do like the idea that the J.H. Doctor might be pre Hartnell. You pointed to some good reasons for The Day of the Doctor not to feature the time war. I think it is now generally assumed that it will but we all know that Moffat likes to misdirect us. The idea just discussed, (for which I cannot claim any credit. @arkleseizure is the author of that one with help from @blenkinsopthebrave and @bluesqueakpip.) of the Day of the Daleks type paradox would enable the Hurt Doctor to be linked to any period in the Doctor’s history. The doctor could regenerate into Hurt in an alternate time line, so the Doctor who regenerates could be any Doctor, past present or even future, though he is referred to in the past tense.

If we were to combine all the bonkers theories about the anniversary special, and ironed out all the contradictions, we would have enough material for the next series at least. Maybe the next 50 years even, with a few filler episodes.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

If we were to combine all the bonkers theories about the anniversary special, and ironed out all the contradictions, we would have enough material for the next series at least. Maybe the next 50 years even, with a few filler episodes.

Haha, loved that. Very true

And welcome to @hudsey Great first post. Agree, and it’s been suggested a few times, that the documentary filming could be perfect cover for filming BG Dr lookalikes

*and jumps up and down excitedly, claiming credit for spotting Moffat saying DotD is his fave episode* (I posted the link on here somewhere, ages ago, I’ll try to find it (amongst my 2m posts haha))

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@hudsey – yes, welcome. Making your first post a completely bonkers theory is definitely a good move.

What I like about it is that placing the Hurt ‘Doctor’ as the very first regeneration of The Time Lord Currently Known As The Doctor fits in with the ‘Prisoner Zero has escaped’ motif of The Eleventh Hour. The Hurt Doctor isn’t Doctor Zero because he’s been cast out of the succession (a Doctor with no number), he’s literally ‘Doctor Zero’, the Doctor before the First Doctor.

And yes, it would give us the Doctor’s ‘origin story’ for the Fiftieth Anniversary. And explain why the Hartnell Doctor starts off as a rather untrustworthy and slightly murderous kind of guy. 🙂

Anonymous @

Hi @bluesqueakpip – I deleted the span junk from  your post.  Just for our record of this issue, did you copy from Word?

Anonymous @

@scaryb – don’t forget that our Emperor has given us a shiny new Forum Search box in the header.  Now we can find all the posts we’ve made!  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot @bluesqueakpip Sorry, that was my fault. Should be fixed again.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ddd123 This YouTube video explains everything. You’ll finally know what it all means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

@craig – Well played that man!

*@Shazzbot !!!!! – fetch the shotgun!!!!!*

Anonymous @

@craig – the 9-minute version is even better.  🙂

@pedant – that picture is going to lose its charm if I keep wheeling it out every day 😉  But I’ll keep the shotgun next to my chair, just in case.

Anonymous @

Oh @pedant … calling @pedant …  I have a very itchy trigger finger** …   😀

** but I’m sure there’s a cream I can use for that 😆

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ddd123 And you might look deleted in a few minutes unless you can redeem yourself.

You talk of YouTube videos but no links? You don’t use punctuation. You can’t spell. You sir, all the evidence tells me, are a troll.

Make an interesting post and I’ll let you live. You have 10 minutes from now.

Go on, redeem yourself. I really hope you do. It’s fun to join in properly.

Ka and, indeed, BOOOM!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @Shazzbot

There’s a new Spammer feature that I’ve been wanting to try. I may get my chance in 3 minutes.

*Makes like a shark circling*

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ddd123 Well, that was 10 minutes.

I’m now going to press the big red button. I don’t even know what it does. Let’s find out.

The Silence of the Trolls…..

@craig – I think you need a 404 showing a mounted troll head…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Wow, wiped completely. Not even Anonymous. Coooooooool.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant That would be cool if I can isolate wiped members pages from general 404s. Will look into it.

ScaryB @scaryb

Aw, boo, I seem to have missed all the fun 😛

BUT I did finally track down my original post with Moffat talking about being impressed by Day of the Daleks (for info the search engine works fine, my problem was narrowing down the search terms – went all the way back to #171 (2 Jan!!). And difficult to avoid being sidetracked, LOL).

It’s very short, but interesting as he talks about it being possibly the first time the show uses time travel in quite this way and the get-out clause of the Doctor being able to change things when he’s not part of the history (the participants can’t).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0129kly

WhoHar @whohar

@blenkinsopthebrave (or anyone else)

Any news on how the 50th is to be broadcast in the colonies. I heard there is going to be a simulcast of the 50th over 75 countries, which I guess would mean a Sunday morning viewing down here. Presumably that means a TV show rather than a cinema release too.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I’ve been caught up in non-DW stuff, unfortunately and I really can’t be arsed looking through 10 pages of comments. Thanks in advance.

WhoHar @whohar

I too thought about Day of the Doctor = Day of the Daleks (btw the Special Edition is worth purchasing, especially if you like to see Jo grant flashing her pants!). Does this mean the return of the Blinovitch Limitation Effect? It would be good to see the Ogrons return.

I do think Moffat will try and “reset the clock” for the 50th and the alternate history plot in Day of the Daleks

*******SPOILER ALERT (KIND OF) *******************

(which is changed when Doc 3 realises how the guerrillas cause the very future they are trying to prevent)

*********SPOILER ALERT (KIND OF) ENDS ************

would be right up Moffat’s street.

However, i can’t see him ripping the plot off directly, but he may allude to it somehow. Given Eleven’s penchant for new outfits, I fully expect to see Matt in a burgundy velvet jacket, drinking copious amounts of wine. I wonder if he’ll improve on Pertwee’s fine wine line though. Something like “That’s a most good-humoured wine. A touch sardonic, perhaps, but not cynical”  They don’t, err, write them like that anymore.

ScaryB @scaryb

@whohar

You’re back!!! 😀

We missed you. Hope the bath’s in good nick, you’ll need to start filling it soon 😉

Maybe @janetteb or @blenkinsopthebrave can help with the broadcast details down under, there’s not a lot of info out and about yet re times etc tho 7.30 (GMT) is rumoured. I’d assume you colonials will also get a cinema release.  Again, I’ve not seen any details – harrass your local cinema!

PS I now have to mop of my keyboard after your comment on crazy captions 31

janetteB @janetteb

Apologies @whohar and @scaryb I don’t know the broadcast details yet and I believe that @blenkinsopthebrave has decamped for milder climes. If I hear anything I will let you know. I do recall hearing mention of cinema releases here but I imagine will only be in the cities.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb @whohar

Keep an eye on this page for updates on broadcast times –

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/50th-anniversary-to-be-simulcast-in-over-75-countries-and-cinemas/

(They’ve not announced time yet, but that’s usually late to catch the other channels on the hoof)

Hello @janetteb. Yes, indeed, I have decamped for milder climes (you must pay attention, @scaryb!)

I believe, @janetteb, that you will be well served in the unseasonal warmth of my former home (as we both know, Australia has always been very civilised when it comes to Doctor Who), although whether Doctor Who will penetrate the rugged wilds of Tasmania, where, if memory serves correct, the lovely @whohar is now resident, is another question.

For my own part, I am exploring the Who potential of the wilds of Ontario. Apart from finding out that Doctor Who screens on the Space channel (which I do not subscribe to), information on what is happening with regards to the 50th in the Canadian colonies is rather elusive. If anyone else can enlighten me, please do.

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb Thanks for that link, exactly what I have been looking for! Even though I am back in Germany now I am honestly thinking about flying to the UK for the 23. to see the whole thing in a cinema, must be amazing. Turns out my best mate found his way to Doctor Who as well when I was in the UK so we might just book a flight and do it… (Funny how things work out sometimes).

A bit off topic: got into Sherlock BBC while waiting for the Doctor to get a move on – Looks like anything Gatiss and Moffat do turns out to be genius. If either of those two or anyone who knows them in person ever reads this in secret: thank you very much indeed for all the fun times to Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat!

@hudsey there rings something very true for me in your idea for the name of the Doctor actually being the day that the Doctor is “born”. I have a feeling this might be spot on. Fits with the last episode we have seen: the Doctor has a secret he will take to the grave. It is discovered. They were not talking about the secret but the grave. So we should try to take it without forcing more meaning into it than there is. Exciting to think we will see the emotional process that formed the Doctor whether that is number zero or a timewar Doctor. As I always like to include River I had a thought that fits into what you were theorizing: if it is a Non-Doctor and everything the Doctor wanted to leave behind then there is that reason in SITL and FOTD why River is so sorry to tell him his actual name because she knows it causes him pain and s stress in a situation where he already lost Donna…

Sorry if I am just repeating anyone in this thread, have not kept up with every post.

Cheers,

Timeloop

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Just got time to dash off a note before this hotel room’s WiFi expires*: @hudsey, welcome to the forum, and congrats for a superbly bonkers theory — but also a very plausible one — to start us off with!

*Venice. It’s a hard life…

ScaryB @scaryb

@arkleseizure – have fun and keep an eye out for watery vampires 😈

<waves @timeloop> welcome back. Keep an eye on the websites, cinema listings are starting to come through now

Anonymous @

Not sure where to post this – here?  DW News?  The Next Doctor?

The original article from the Radio Times:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-13/steven-moffat-on-doctor-who-regenerations-go-back-and-count-again–theres-something-youve-missed

However, Steven Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time,” said Moffat, “there’s something you’ve all missed.”

The follow-up article from the RT:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-14/doctor-who-your-best-theories-on-steven-moffats-missing-regeneration-clue

We here in the Land of the Most Splendiferously Bonkers and Insane Theories can surely do better than the RT’s readership … 🙂

@Shazzbot – I think he is asking us to count in the same way that psychologists ask us to count the number of times the basketball gets passed – so that we don’t notice the man in the gorilla suit.

@scaryb – that clip for Day of the Daleks appears to have Klingons in the background…

Anonymous @

master craig i am back to redeam myself

Anonymous @

master craig,we can call it the redemtion of trolls

Hudsey @hudsey

I’ve long thought the troughton doc transformation to pertwee doc wasn’t an actual regeneration, and that we actually had a ‘spare’ one. But then however the tennant doc regeneration I thought actually allowed us to catch up – it was just that he chose to dump the remaining energy into the amputated hand (which went onto become the meta-crisis doc). Surely if it went into grow into a whole other tennant it was enough regeneration energy and should count as a ‘proper’one? I think this is what Moffat was on about in the @shazzbot post. However I also think this is his way of making us look in another direction.

My theory of john hurt being the original and true self of the doctor before his first regeneration into Hartnell doc still seems right to me, and I think the tennant doc in the anniversary episode is actually the meta-crisis doc. This is why smith doc cannot remember the experiences of the tennant doc in the anniversary episode, as those characters arg separate and distinct characters in parallel time streams. Smith doc (and all the regenerations from Hartnell onwards) simply cannot remember life as the john hurt character as the doctor has permanently buried the memories even to himself. Hence the references to this in the recent cyberman episode nightmare in silver.

So what could john hurts character do that is so bad? Why would the doctor steal a tardis and run from his own people? Why is he seemingly the only time lord with a ‘granddaughter’ or living relative? Perhaps the doctor origin story will be bigger than we realise, perhaps explain if all galifreyans are time lords or whether only an elite few are bestowed such powers? Maybe there is a selection process that the doctor cheated at?

Perhaps they do not actually have parents as such, but perhaps the doctor chose to ‘naturally’ reproduce and give birth to offspring that lead to Susan? Or maybe the opposite? Perhaps he initiated artificial creation of galifreyans to become time lords and he somehow stopped the natural birth cycles of time lords to stop them becoming too many – “for peace, for sanity” ?

@hudsey

I am liking your theory more and more. Particularly the fact that it provides a coherent alternative to the Time War focus of the 50th that most people have accepted. But…when you say that the “smith doc cannot remember the experiences of the tennant doc in the anniversary episode”,  I am not sure where you are getting that from. After all, we haven’t even had a trailer to make such a supposition. Is there a plot synopsis out there that I have missed?

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special’ is closed to new replies.