The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish – pick ‘Father’ if you don’t like ‘Grandfather’. Or ‘Mentor’ – which McCoy’s Doctor was to Ace. Pertwee’s Doctor was often rather fatherly.

The minor problem there has always been with the Doctor is that – for the purposes of pulling in the audience – he has a tendency to go for what David Tennant called ‘easy on the eye’ Companions. Now, for the first time since the reboot, they have to play that with an actor who looks old enough to be the average Companion’s Dad.

With previous Doctors they’ve gone for best mate (Donna, Amy/Rory) boyfriend (Clara, Rose) and unrequited love interest (Martha). Personally, I think ‘best mate’ was the one that really worked well. But I’m not sure you’re going to be able to pull that off too well with the difference in age and acting experience; which is why I’m wondering if they’re going to be going ‘back to the beginning’ in the Doctor/Companion relationship.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

There’s quite a lot of articles about PC already! I’ve just caught up on the Radio TImes site who seem to have a different article for every sentence uttered.

For those not very familiar with PC, they have a good selection of videos on his previous roles here http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-08-04/peter-capaldi-the-twelfth-doctors-top-tv-moments

Also just seen last nights show had viewing figures of around 7 million! That’s more than a lot of actual episodes. I wonder if this means they’ll move the new series to Sunday nights?!?

Anonymous @

@wolfweed — that’s a great find. And £2 for a t-shirt! Bargain!

One of the truly annoying things about PC is just how bloody accomplished he is. Actor, director, writer, artist. He has more talent than anyone really has any right to be.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — I don’t think it’ll be an explicitly ‘parental’ approach from PC. Primarily because I think kids’ attitudes to authority figures are very different even from McCoy’s time in the TARDIS. But it will definitely be a more mature take on the relationship. Maybe more like a favourite teacher or the slightly disreputable ‘black sheep’ Uncle (I like those. I am one.)

Or possibly a different kind of ‘dad’. The Amy arc would have had a different feel with PC as the Doctor, for example. The ‘dad’ who abandoned his ‘kid’ would have been far more marked. Now, that would have been interesting…

I suspect that we’ll see a young male companion to act as ‘action’ and love interest to the female companion certainly…

thommck @thommck

@bluesqueakpip, @jimthefish

One thing I like about the dynamic between PC and CLara is that it is more fitting with how I watched Doctor Who as a Child (the McCoy years). By that I mean, the younger viewer will definitely be identifying with the companion now. Since Tennant was in the role, I think the audience probably has been identifying with the Doctor more. Now he can potentially be that little bit more distant, opinionated and alien

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

Yes, I expect Clara’s boyfriend (or boyfriend to be) will join the Tardis in series 8. Whether its necessary or not is another matter…

@bluesqueakpip

I agree a mentor style relationship will probably work out to be best.

Nick

Nick @nick

@bluesqueakpip

Thinking a bit more about your question, if you ignore some of more flippant elements of D11/Clara relationship when he does rather think he’s god’s gift to (young) women, how would you describe their relationship anyway ?

Hopefully we’ll also see the end of the Madman in a Box description as well.

Nick

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@thommck

It was odd how they kept referring to PC as the 12th regeneration and absolutely no mention of where John Hurt fits in

Yeah, I noticed that too, and at first thought it may hint at the Hurt Doctor being a later incarnation.  However, the BBC Doctor Who webpage seems to be being very careful to refer to PC as ‘The Next Doctor’ rather than the 12th.  I suspect that whoever had scripted last nights special had no connection to the production team and hadn’t accounted for the mystery of the Hurt Doctor.

Clara & the Doctor – I can see him being in a paternal role towards Clara. She is going to be a little bit lost if she survives the 50th

Good point this and I think critical to her character next season – I can’t remember the exact quote, but at the end of TNoTD, she refers to not knowing who she is.  If she’s fulfilled what she sees as her role in life then she’s going to need help finding herself.

Anonymous @

Hopefully we’ll also see the end of the Madman in a Box description as well

@nick — not necessarily. And personally I’ve always loved that description. Different kind of madman maybe…

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

Strange alien thing in a blue box I could live with, but in fact not a man (or human) and not mad (D11 may have been manic, but that’s not the same thing)

I can’t see PC being manic as I don’t think it would suit him (but of course we wont find that out until 2014 🙁 )

Nick

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@wolfweed, thanks for that fanzine find!

@jimthefish, @craig, @phaseshift, and @Shazzbot, thanks for those links. I’d seen and loved Local Hero <> But Crow Road is new to me, and wonderful. (I watched much of the ep.) And PC as Tucker’s testimony before the inquiry blew my socks off. I never doubted his acting chops, and you’ve provided proof for any skeptics across the pond.

If the fading of fangirl “OMG, he’s sooooooooo sexy” squees and a disappointing drop in Tumblrs, YouTube vids, and Instagrams becomes a real ratings problem, the Beeb might want to consider Criminal Minds’ Matthew Gray Gubler as a male American companion. He’s played a tall, slender, somewhat geeky, socially awkward genius, Dr. Spencer Reid, for the past nine years. And he’s already got essential parts of the wardrobe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuI7zYtq39o

And he’s (a subdued but natural) ginger!

I really don’t think the show is headed remotely in that direction under SM, though, and I’m fine with that. But … if the next showrunner wants to shake things up a bit, MGG’d be kinda cute with Jenna. Just sayin’

TardisBlue

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

@osakahatter“However, the BBC Doctor Who webpage seems to be being very careful to refer to PC as ‘The Next Doctor’ rather than the 12th.”

Erm, well, there’s this (note the URL):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Peter-Capaldi-exclusively-revealed-to-the-nation-as-the-Twelfth-Doctor

Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor and takes over from Matt Smith who leaves the show at Christmas.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@Shazzbot – ha!  I’ll take that back then.  The headlines on the front seem to be all using ‘Next Doctor’ : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

that’ll teach me not to delve further!

Anonymous @

@jimthefish“I suspect that we’ll see a young male companion to act as ‘action’ and love interest to the female companion certainly…”

That’s interesting.  I had been arguing that with a female Doctor, we needed multiple companions as well.  I’m in utter agreement with you that a PC Doctor and Clara could do well with a male companion to round things out.  Not sure, though, that the male companion needs to be a love interest for Clara.

Could I dare hope that the Tardis becomes a sort of ‘working environment’ where people all get on with saving the world, and there doesn’t have to be a ‘love interest angle’?  Or, is this now accepted as de facto required in Doctor Who?

Nick @nick

@Shazzbot @osakahatter

Isn’t the description 12 th doctor correct anyway as John Hurt isn’t technically a Doctor (by name). PC is therefore also the next Doctor ?

On the other matter, I’m not sure they can bring in another male companion without writing some form of “love interest” angle with Clara. If SM wasn’t interested in that element of the show character dynamics, he wouldn’t need to postulate having a male companion at all. One of the biggest criticisms of BG Who when there was multiple companions was the lack of writing time available for each character in each episode. I don’t think 45 minutes shows (as opposed to multiple 25 minute episodes) help the writer achieve this especially when AG who is quicker paced anyway.

Nick

Anonymous @

@shazzbot — most workplaces I’ve ever been in have always been a hotbed of (often inappropriate) romantic entanglements…  or maybe that’s just me…

and as I’ve said elsewhere, if just ignore sexual tension/possibility then it rapidly becomes the elephant in the room. You could get away from it in the 60s and 70s but later BG Who suffers from its refusal to deal with it and it made the Doctor/Companion dynamic a little ‘fake’ to my mind. Even the pretty good McCoy/Ace dynamic suffered.

A romance between Clara and a male companion will safely defuse that I think…

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

the Doctor/Companion dynamic a little ‘fake’ to my mind. Even the pretty good McCoy/Ace dynamic suffered

Hmm. I’d disagree there. There’s absolutely no reason to believe a 1000+ year old Timelord would really develop a romantic interest with a 20+ something human (male or female). That’s the point about him being Alien after all. However, once AG Who brought sex into the dynamic (even tangently) it’s become impossible not to consider surely ?

Nick

ScaryB @scaryb

I really don’t get this “the fangirls won’t go for PC, he’s too old/ugly/etc” He looks great from where I’m sitting :mrgreen:

He’s also got a great slightly quirky/enigmatic wizardy-type expression at times.

re bringing in a 2nd companion… why not another girl…? (sure the fanboys wouldn’t object)

CraigNixon @craignixon

My question is was PC dressed in his Dr get up?

As there seemed to be a bug deal on focussing on his hand and that wedding band….

May just be his and his suit, but it seemed to scripted for that not to be…

curvedspace @curvedspace

I watched the special with my daughter; she’s 3 and liked the glitter so I didn’t complain. It did feel exciting, especially since I was also following some liveblogging at the time. I loved PC as the Angel Islington, and I look forward to seeing what he does with the role of the Doctor. I like his face.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craignixon Various interviews with Moffat this weekend says they have no idea what his costume will be yet. Of ourse there’s rule no 1…   But I reckon PC was dressed as “actor on appearance duty”

Anonymous @

@nick @jimthefish

I hear your issue about workplace entanglements, Jim.  But I think what Nick has raised is the chicken-or-egg argument:  Did AG Who bring in the ‘romance’ angle as a difference from BG Who?  Or was it simply in the zeitgeist, the cultural shift in 2005 that wasn’t acknowledged in earlier decades, that we now assume that people in such circumstances must feel a bit of lust now and then for each other … and it has to be shown on-screen?

Anonymous @

@craignixon – I said something similar last night.  With how scripted-to-the-bone that whole awful programme was, surely what Peter Capaldi was wearing was significant?

Dunno about a focus on his wedding band – thank goodness I’m not reading all of the other guff about him!

@scaryb – I’m with you on fancying Peter Capaldi.  We just have to be gentle with those viewers who’s major Who experience is Tennant and Smith.

CraigNixon @craignixon

@SHazzbot , @scaryb
    It just seemed to focus in, probably meant nothing, but I think we can all agree, HTPBDET (Heehee, that Mnemonic really works!) should have hosted.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Re: focus on Capaldi’s wedding band.  I don’t think we should read anything into this, especially when you consider what a slap dash programme it appeared in.  Instead the hand shot was elbowed in with the idea of giving it tension.  You couldn’t show the back of his head as it would be really obvious who it was.

Ironically, when I saw said hand, I knew it was Capaldi as it was clearly belonged to an older gentleman who was married – both of which fitted in with my leap of logic (helped along in no small part by the leaks during the weekend).

Nick @nick

@Shazzbot @jimthefish

I think it was probably a zeitgeist thing that couldn’t be ignored, but that’s in part because RTD forgot the key thing – He’s an alien stupid (paraphrasing Clinton) -. You need to actively make it clear to the audience that they shouldn’t expect human emotions from the Doctor. All of 9, 10 and 11 have had their alien moments of strangeness, but still it seems to me that there is an underlying romantic element in the mix  somewhere. Would it have been that difficult to write a 9/Rose or 10/Rose scene when the Doctor gently explains just why its impossible for him to replicate her feelings ?

as an aside,

No doubt @bluesqueakpip will tell us that there was just such a scene (but it just didn’t stand out to me at the time so much that I can remember it or worse it was in one of those short explain everything lines I keep missing 🙂 )

Nick

Anonymous @

@nick

There’s absolutely no reason to believe a 1000+ year old Timelord would really develop a romantic interest with a 20+ something human (male or female). That’s the point about him being Alien after all. However, once AG Who brought sex into the dynamic (even tangently) it’s become impossible not to consider surely ?

Which is why I think they’ll bring in a male companion, to defuse the sex issue between the Doctor and the companion. And you’re right, it’s a genie you won’t be able to put back in the bottle now.

But look at say McCoy and Ace with Sophie Aldred having to pretend she’s younger than she clearly was. Or Mel having to be so annoying that no one in their right mind would want to shag them. To me, even then there was a falseness to the dynamic, an air of ‘there’s something we’re just not talking about here’.

To use a slightly disgusting analogy it was a bit like a boil that Old Who just refused to acknowledge was even there. AG well and truly lanced it and I don’t think AG will allow it to fester again. (Ugh. I was just about to have a minty Viscount and I’ve now put myself right off it…)

Personally I think this by @Shazzbot

Or was it simply in the zeitgeist, the cultural shift in 2005 that wasn’t acknowledged in earlier decades, that we now assume that people in such circumstances must feel a bit of lust now and then for each other … and it has to be shown on-screen?

is right on the money. It’s not that the Doctor (or whoever) has to have a romantic entanglement but to deliberately and self-consciously avoid this major area of psychological interaction just looks false and wrong (and possibly open to being a bit suspect in this post-Savile age)…

With regards to PC’s wedding ring can I just say that I care not a jot or feel the need to write it into the narrative in any way. No more so than I did with Pertwee’s tattoo.

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

I absolutely agree with your analysis, but is it because the (part of the) audience can’t accept that the Doctor is an alien because he looks human. Alternatively (and this is my view) AG Who wants to use that element of the character dynamic (when they choose) to bring an emotional element to the show it wouldn’t otherwise have. I don’t think writers as gifted as RTD/SM would have had any real difficulty in making it clear to the AG audience that any romantic involvement wasn’t going to happen.

The consequence of this decision is that you now are forced to have male/female companion (whether a couple or not) to have some sexual tension in the Tardis (or to avoid it) narrowing your options as a show runner. Since having a Doctor/single female companion is ruled out by this dynamic (unless you have a older female companion where the sexual element can be assumed to not exist ? – “best mates”), having two female companions doesn’t work either (you end up having to have jealousy stalk the Tardis or create/imply a homosexual relationship instead, which is just a different way of getting around the same “problem” anyway). It gets worse with more than two companions let alone with a female Doctor surely ?

I’ll be happy if you can convince me I’m wrong.

Nick

Anonymous @

Oi!  @nick ! “unless you have a older female companion where the sexual element can be assumed to not exist ?”

I had a bad experience with an obvious troll last night so my antennae are on high alert.  Don’t you dare assert that ‘older’ females can’t be involved in ‘sexual elements’!  😀

Nick @nick

@Shazzbot

But they can [but is that what your (teen) audience wants to see  ? – pseudo Mum and Dad snogging]. My point is that the “best mates” solution (Doctor/Donna) is just as much of a cop-out when you bring sex into the Tardis as Rose/Martha/Amy having to fancy the Doctor. Why couldn’t have Donna fancied the Doctor ? Its a less age “inappropriate” relationship than with Rose (who was meant to be a teenager after all).

😉

Nick

Anonymous @

@htpbdet – where are you?  and @jimthefish and @nick too regarding the whole ‘romantic entanglement’ issue.

Back to the subject of multiple companions, and the fact that Clara has been repeatedly portrayed as a governness in multiple incarnations … what if the mooted additional (male) companion was someone she had to look after?  What do you think about that?

It establishes a ‘family’ dynamic and gets the writer out of the hole of needing to address – or not address – ‘sexual elements’.

Nick @nick

@Shazzbot

I have personally felt that the best companion groupings have been Ian & Barbara with Susan/Vikki and Tegan/Nyssa/Adric (other examples being Ben/Polly/Jamie), but I don’t think the dynamic quite works anymore as @jimthefish shows with his alt-Ian/Barbara or my prior run in with @htpbdet (soon to have a C I think) over why Ben/Polly would be a couple these days).

I’d love for you to set out how your idea would work unless you bring in a Doctor offspring (or great offspring). All the other examples I’ve just thought of fall into the same trap I’ve just outlined.

Nick

Anonymous @

@nick and @Shazzbot — Yep, if there was some kind of memo saying that older people can’t be sexual beings then I opt not to get that one…

I personally don’t really have a problem with two female companions with an implied sexual relationship between them either — although I guess the Daily Mail might.

It’s a central part of life and, like it or not, I think kids these days have more of an awareness of adult sexuality than their counterparts in the 60s and 70s. To ignore these aspects of character would be dramatically dishonest and I think kids these days are as quick to pick that up as anyone.

The only question is whether you make it explicit or implicit. I personally always assumed that Jo and Mike, Harry and Sarah and even Ian and Barbara and Ben and Polly were copping off with each other offscreen anyway. That to me is more, er, satisfying than imagining that Tegan or Peri having to rely on their rampant rabbit or Ace desperately trying to hide the onset of puberty.

Although it is possible that with the idea of permanent TARDIS occupancy a thing of the past these days, maybe you can have a Doctor/single female companion dynamic because they’re not co-habiting as it were and she has a life she goes back to that doesn’t include the Doctor. And I actually think it would be quite nice for Clara to have a ‘new’ boyfriend who has to realise that he’s not the only man in her life. The Doctor as ex-boyfriend who still seems to be hanging around? Or with PC, more like slightly disapproving Dad who he has to prove himself to. That could be great.

@Shazzbot — a companion who Clara has to look after implies child, so I’m afraid a world of ‘no’ to that idea as far as I’m concerned…

Anonymous @

@jimthefish – excellent points about youth having a better (and more open) understanding of adult sexuality these days.

I’m still feeling my way on this theory, but a male companion whom Clara has to mind / teach / look after doesn’t need to be a child.  It could be an alien of some kind (again, something I’ve said here in the past would be good to add to the companion dynamic).

You’re right, again, though, in bringing up the other sea change in the show – that current companions flit in and out of Tardis adventures whilst having a home life to go back to.  I wouldn’t want a ‘Mickey’ kind of boyfriend for Clara, though.  Not only because it has been done before, and so recently, but also because it’s incredibly emasculating for that character.

@nick

No doubt @bluesqueakpip will tell us that there was just such a scene 

Of course. Not for the Doctor, but Susan went off with David Campbell, and Leela married some personality-less Citadel guard by the name of Andred. Time Lords (or at least, Gallifreyans) can therefore be attracted to humans. Humans, as established in the very first series of AG Who, can be attracted to just about anything. 🙂

So the Doctor’s marriage to River Song is perfectly in keeping with BG Who. It’s not the first time a Gallifreyan has married a human (and River’s a human Time Lord). In TV terms, Alex Kingston’s age also puts her in the category of ‘older woman’ – so stop being naughty.

Anonymous @

@craig

Yes, I called him Doctor Who. I don’t care.

Maybe he will be “Doctor Who”, rather than “The Doctor”. In the Peter Cushing films of the ’60s, Who was actually his surname. (See my previous bonkers theory bringing the films into the canonical fold.) Plus, there are some potential “hints” (1) Capaldi bears enough resemblance to Cushing to be a believable substitute, (2) the similarities bewteen the names (they’re both Peter C.’s) and (3) Bernard Cribbins was on the reveal show and played Tom Campbell in the 1966 Cushing film Daleks Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. It would make one heck of a twist if Capaldi should turn out to be a next Doctor, but not the next Doctor.

Magnetite @magnetite

Help! Stop posting everyone while I catch up…. Only joking and it’s great to see so much on here in a positive atmosphere.

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned it yet, but PC is the first Oscar winner as The Doctor, which leads me on to another thought – as he won for directing and writing, I wonder whether he’s two or three for the price of one – anyone else think he’ll be writing and/or directing any episodes? Perhaps not in his first year, but later on…

Anonymous @

@osakahatter

Rufus Hound ‘Peter Eccleston’ – nearly gave the game away early

I don’t think so. More likely the result of Peter Davison being on-stage with him.

@jimthefish

The official pics make him look suspiciously like an older version of Ten, but that’s by no means a bad thing. But the video makes me think that we might actually get a kind of McCoy redux Doctor from him. Which again is no bad thing by a long chalk.

The resemblance to an older 10 would work with my half-human Tennant to Cushing bonkers theory. I disagree with you about a McCoy redux being “no bad thing”, though. I haven’t seen much of the McCoy years, but I didn’t think to highly of what I did see (The Curse of Fenric Remembrance of the Daleks).

@wolfweed

The big question now is: What will he wear?

Maybe this?

Doctor Cushing

@juniperfish

Moreover, if Gaiman rides again we simply must meet the Corsair. Who was talking about Eddie Izzard up-thread? Izzard in his drag days as the Corsair – I demand it!

I was going to second this, but at this point, I think I’m actually fifthing it!

@Shazzbot

Doctor Who doesn’t need to be ‘Murcanized’ to be palatable to American audiences.

Agreed. Just look at Life on Mars for proof. The original British version was much better.

And Ginsu knives. (You’d have to be an American of my vintage to remember those late-night infomercials 🙂 )

I don’t remember the original Ginsu, but I do remember the Ginsu II.

@nick

That’s the point about him being Alien after all

He may be an alien, but he’s clearly got a fondness for humanity. And isn’t humanizing the Doctor one of the main purposes of the companions? What could be more human than having an inappropriate romantic entanglement?

Timeloop @timeloop

My first reaction to the new Doctor before I read all you comments: I dont like him.

I first saw him on my way to work this morning in the Metro today though, because I totally forgot about the reveal this weekend as I dont watch TV regularly. I have never seen him before and maybe I am supposed to not like him since Matt is my Doctor. But I am very willing to be swayed. Will start catching up now.

FishComBobulated @fishcombobulated

@shazzbot et. al. – After the deflating celebrity hype of the live special and a day to consider the new Doctor, I have come to realize this:

Celebrity is being incredibly overblown. Not just on the special. Whether the Doctor is a celebrity, say, a “famous” actor, or a stage actor (not mutually exclusive by any means), or is an “unknown” seriously does not matter at all. I fully believe that they can jump from celebrity to unknown to celebrity to unknown (if the regenerations continue, of course). The calibre of talent that makes the casting process has for the past three (?) have all done stage work as well as multiple video/film media. The younger an actor is, however, the more unlikely he/she has received enough exposure to be considered of celebrity status. The older the actor is, he/she would have garnered sufficient celebrity and fame from an opus of theatre and tv/film. That’s all a matter of time and age. Also, while I consider Capaldi to be famous, that’s only because I’m a British TV freak in America. The BBC is casting the Doctor for a global Anglo audience now, and in that larger arena, Capaldi is not exactly a celebrity.

So, I have no worries about that particular issue, just because I think the very concept of celebrity is very distinct from the views of the public and the inside views of the industry players. The latter tends to think that most celebrities are right arseholes and would prefer to avoid them at all costs.

@osakahatter – Good to know about Hannibal. If it’s the first 15 min, then I could watch it streaming some couple of days when my disability strikes me down to bed. Honestly, it was that unforgettable, truly horrifying final grotesque scene from the “Hannibal” film by Ridley Scott that made me avoid the series. The image and my instant recall of it is something I really wish I could forget but never will. And I didn’t want to deal with another of those.

@scaryb – Let’s be honest about the fan”girls”, especially some of the American ones, who made some rather “ugly” social media responses to Capaldi’s selection: if they think that not having late 20-something to 30-something sexy Doctor eye candy is a problem, by the time 2014-? comes around when Capaldi’s episodes finally begin to air and once they end, and the female fans are that much older too, it won’t be a problem. Right? Any die-hard fangirls/fanwomen agree? As our Captain Jack might say, I’d say there’s something about a distinguished gentleman that calls up one’s attention. There won’t be a problem.

That said, what is the popular consensus on if there should be/will be a general move in the direction of removing the Doctor from all romantic possibility with any Companions with the new incarnation?

On the one hand, fans and fangirls seem very split that Rose’s and/or Amy’s attraction was either not cool or was understandable. (The attraction element to both Smith and Tennant, I think we all must admit, expanded global popularity among fangirls.) On the other hand, fans mostly love River Song’s marriage with the Doctor, and newer fangirls couldn’t care less.

Pre-boot, the Doctor was literally alien to all romance, and I loved that. Things have changed though, post-boot, and I also love that. I love that the Doctor can love a human. “Intellect and romance over the brute forces of violence and cynicism” to quote Craig Ferguson’s homage theme cover. I do like purely platonic relationships with the Doctor. I also celebrate if the Doctor could possibly alienate his own loneliness and find solace in finding love, even if it can only be with a lowly human.

chickenelly @chickenelly

If it’s not been posted above, here is Sophie Aldred (and another bloke) on BBC breakfast, talking about the news…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23572529

@shazzbot @nickthefish @nick

That all said, I think it would be creepy for Clara and Capaldi’s incarnation to have a romantic angle. Her introduction has been a definite BG transition back to Platonic. I was referring to a post-Clara companion, or possibly River Song once again.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – that Sophie seems like a genuinely nice person.

Also, did you hear her point out that Peter Capaldi touched his lapels in a very Hartnell-like manner?  Sounds like Moffat could indeed be ‘going back to the beginning’ – if he wants PC to be Hartnellesque.  Which means hopefully a fatherly or avuncular type relationship with Clara (thank goodness).

EDIT:  Sorry @bluesqueakpipyour comment 15450 was related to that thought (and better expressed!) …

Timeloop @timeloop

You all are right about the quality of the reveal. Hope they dont make this the template as most of you said.

I totally cracked up with Fat (He wants to be called that 😉 ) : ” I’d like to go on record; I think it is time that the queen was played by a man.”

I will cling to the last episodes with Matt in place.

I’d like to go on record; I think it is time that the queen was played by a man.

A lot of people seem to have taken that absolutely straight and not realised it was a joke, and quite a clever joke. The role of ‘The Queen’ will be played by a man. It’s just that we’ll then call that role ‘The King’.

😀

Timeloop @timeloop

@Bluesqueakpip Yes, true. For a moment I wanted to argue there that Queen can never be played by a man as it would no longer be Queen but they are doing the same job, so yes.

I really love his line. Puts everything in proportion.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Another video link, this time to Moff talking about casting Capaldi:

http://bcove.me/xkik0u6a

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.