Companions past and present

Home Forums General Companions past and present

This topic contains 969 replies, has 142 voices, and was last updated by  nerys 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 970 total)
  • Author
    gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@roskowe The 11th Doctor was right about her being bossy but that’s because she likes to take over the fate of her life and have a say in what The Doctor does. That’s why he has a companion, so they can bring out the best of him. Clara does that well. However all the companions are bossy, Clara is just bossy in a different way, that is what makes her a great character. As for Clara being bananas for relationships, I don’t think she is crazy about them but, if she does find love than she is honest to herself about her feelings. Clara is a great companion and her flaws can bring out the best of her.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@gamergirlavatar

I think that is a really lovely and insightful reflection on Clara. I agree entirely, and  I wish I had expressed it that way myself.

@blenkinsopthebrave Thank you. Clara is such a great character and I’m glad that I could put her personally into words.

millymac @millymac

Hiya! So I’m really new here what brings me today is a few theories that I’ve came up with just while bleaching my cloths, so I just wanted to share them due to the slogan of this website haha

1) MAISIE WILLIAMS, now I’m GoT till I die, utterly obsessed so you can imagine my reaction when her big blue eyes finally were shown on Saturday, great episode! But! And here’s a big but, as much as I want her to be the Drs new companion I don’t think it’ll happen, too many complications. I just HOPE to god the new companion isn’t same old same old. Yeah every one was different but, it’s difficult because I don’t want to slag anyone off but right now I think the Dr is in Clara’s shadow a bit, and that’s not right. It should be DR WHO not The Dr and Clara Oswald. Anyway Maisie William’s character is Ashildr right? Not Ashilder… So to me that sounds like A SHE DR. A she doctor?

And my next theory is insane, and would never be put down, never taken notice of but I thought it’d be fun. I came across a website 10 minutes ago who had 12 possibilities for the new companion and someone had put in Benedict Cumberbatch just for a laugh. And I sniggered till the cogs in my head started turning… What if Benedict Cumberbatch DID join the Dr, and throughout their travels he developed a brilliant mind, he was so clever. Almost on par with the Dr (though that wouldn’t happen really) and one day they adventure to Victorian London, where there’s some funny business. Our Benedict deals with the people and the surface problem with logic and extreme suaveness, while our Dr is behind the scenes doing his investigation at the heart of the problem, where it would freak people out if they seen what he was seeing. THEN! I’m not finished being crazy yet. Bernard (Benedict, I really got into this) influences a newpaper writer, he’s fabulous right? Bernard stays in London to expand and become the Sherlock we know, then fast forward and switch back to the actual Sherlock program, he meets HIS companion Dr Watson.

It’s crazy and I hope you guys seen it a bit funny but I really want to get to the bottom of who Ashildr will grow to be, she’s really going to switch things up a little. Oh god here’s another one I’ve just thought of. The Dr now got his face from Pompeii yes? Well what if the Dr remembers Ashildr who’s life is now deemed to be a bit crap because she can’t die, he gave her that fate. He gave her that life so what if the next Dr is Maisie Williams? Yeah I’m gonna go and do something useful because even now I can see myself getting way too obsessed with this haha. Hope you all had a little laugh at this, and hopefully none of you think it makes sense because… Well we’ll go get our pills together haha.

And hello again everyone!

@millymac Hello and welcome to the site. We all hope that you enjoy your stay. I just wanted to share my thoughts on a new companion. I picture the next companion as being just a friend, traveling with The Doctor for only one season. After that she just walks away from The Doctor. I think she should be a scientist (maybe even a 1800’s scientist) who is willing to learn and is open minded but, she can’t be perfect and can’t always agree with The Doctor. I don’t see her loving The Doctor like Rose or being in any relationship. I want her to make The Doctor happy so much, that he forgets about her leaving and just remembers the good times.

Anonymous @

Something I am noticing and am very uncomfortable with is the recent regenerations’ (to me, at least) excessive emotional attachment to the Companions, and this became clear to me in the last few minutes of The Woman Who Lived earlier this evening.

A ponderable: Can you see Doctor Three having a PDA with Sarah Jane? Or Four with Sarah Jane or either Romana (never mind that Lalla Ward became Mrs. Lalla Baker)?

winston @winston

@plainolddave

Maybe that change in the companion/Doctor relationship is what drew people to the new Who ? But I agree it would be nice to have a different kind of companion maybe even a man or an alien? Why couldn’t two buddies hang around thru space and time, TennantDoc and Donna did and it was a great series. But I give up guessing and only hoping for who I think should be the next companion.I will let Moffat surprise me.

Anonymous @

I think the series would do well with a Harry or a Turlough at this point.

Anonymous @

@plainolddave Oh no, we can’t have “excessive emotion” ? Of course, and we must. We’ve had it and it’s worked.  🙂

It’s magnificent: it creates a feast of fantastic beauty without which we have a Tardis containing functionaries;  in a society which derives pleasure from distance and a certain meanness of spirit where raw love and true emotion, honest, vital, alive and meaningful is lost. We see these creatures from outer-space from a distance sometimes, and for them to be recognised properly, to be understood, we need a connection thru someone via this “excessive emotion”  -if you wish.

For those perilous, bleak, disordered, wild terrains on different planets with their sometime alien emotionless creatures we must have something strong and fulfilling in the Tardis -something that isn’t the stiff self conscious formality or the ponderous ‘charm’ we’ve come to see in television where ‘partners’ use the jumpy man’s wit and call it ‘humour’ -it’s cruel ‘mannered’ charm to me, a fraudulent recollection of the way people really behave. We want to see “excessive emotion” because it’s true. It’s the stuff of life, the tendons, the heartbeat and its blood.

In some hands, the monstrous 7 foot tall creature, is just a handy stage prop, harmless (like a lot of telly emotions), an echo of an anxious ‘scary’ frisson but never really delivering the scare factor on its own with the real persistent menace which is the role of the companion to demonstrate: the Doctor can’t do it as well -his ‘alien’ quality precludes him, perhaps, although Tennant with his “ooh that creature is beautiful” and Capaldi’s own amazement at the dinosaur in Deep Breath was convincing and true but surely two people, one alien, the other a good ‘friend’ and ‘keeper’ or ‘carer’ can show “excessive emotion” by the sheer force of their momentum -but amiable, stable and gentle characters won’t cut it: the wild and erratic emotion, the ‘force 10’ hugs and the grasping need to hang on to the one other who seems human (but is a TL) is essential to communicate just how vast, ominous and bleak the universe can be -but also how majestic, noble and extravagant as well  (The Rings of Aknaton).

It’s a fine line -nuanced and beautifully portrayed -like a VanGogh painting who, himself, never backed away from the need for excessive volatile emotion: to be puckered, and your emotions tummy-tucked would be dreadfully cruel in Who -of course there must be a balance and I think now, with Capaldi and Coleman at their best, we have it.

We had it with Rory and Amy in the driving seat as their companion, the Doctor, watched. Seeing Rory, angry and lost with Amy as Flesh and the Doctor promising, wildly to find her and then to find their daughter -even the way Twelve talked baby, so magnificent and sublime-really juicy, emotional stuff. Again, the rawness of our flesh and heart; I love it.

What do you think @ichabod? Are the companions “extreme” or acute in their emotions, over-attached to their one continuous and stable companion? Oh, I kind of hope so. I think I would be!

Anonymous @

@winston @plainolddave

I recall one teary, disconsolate man, a wonderful Bernard Cribbins: in the Tardis and before that, saluting a true soldier in Turn Left. In his episode as companion, Tennant was pacing madly back and forth debating like Hamlet whether this one human life was important, excessively weak and human; was he worth it? Worth more than a TL? It was because he was a small human, flawed, loving, teary, engaging, dancing his jig in the face of enormous anguish that Ten ‘opened that door.’

A male companion would be great, of course, but they have to be as truthful, as emotional and as magnanimous as any other companion: thru them we understand these barren and cold planets. They narrate the picturesque to us,  for us and as long as they’re warm and analytical (like the Muslim doctor in The God Complex) then the Tardis would need invite them aboard 🙂

Anonymous @

Was Ian “emotional and magnanimous?” Jamie? Harry? Adric? Turlough?

No, the Companions aren’t supposed to be that. They’re supposed to be the venue for action; the Doctor as the detached, somewhat aloof alien, the male companion for action and the female companion for emotional attachment TO THE PLOT, not to the Doctor.

Anonymous @

@plainolddave

och no! don’t resort to capitals 🙂 What I was trying to state -quite loquaciously (to borrow a phrase!) was that it’s perfectly OK to be emotionally attached to the Doctor -if the Doctor is part of the plot.

Increasingly he has become that. And honestly, as I said before, are these companions hurling themselves at him? I don’t believe so. I think they’re genuine and friendly -and mostly kind. Yes, it maybe a different generation but these are human companions. I recall Adric was somewhat different? Actually, I didn’t like him at all. I couldn’t relate to Who because I failed to relate to him. Strangely, I also didn’t take too well to Jamie and yet adored the Cribbins character -he would probably say he was a “sentimental old fool” – in fact I’m sure he would have, but I’m not dubious about that.  I love that.

I am dubious about a world where people keep their distance. I think that is a little frightening (to me) and possibly a sign of something regressive -we evolve as we appreciate when it’s alright to touch -in the ‘right’ way, if you will.

At least that is my opinion, for what it may be worth. But it is OK to be different and OK to respect those differences. In the Relaxation Classes I give, I also call them Meditation Classes but it is expected that in my ‘talk’ I do say that I am not expecting this to be “a hypnosis or a kind of deep sleep” where I could ‘eat into people’s thoughts’ (people get weird about that) and yet deep relaxation is wonderful and can aid healing -same as touch, in fact. Again, in the correct environment.

Although I also wonder if there’s some kind of other idea here: that men are “for action” and the “female companion for emotional attachment” -as if women are the emotional ones. Would you prefer the Doctor to not touch or hug? I can understand that it could be seen as ‘not manly’, perhaps. And yet it was well known he had a wife..he had more than one! I can understand and respect it may well be a generational thing and perhaps a ‘traditional’ role should be taken on by the Doctor whilst  viewers expect the Doctor to meet that role and for that role to remain similar as those around him change. And that is fine.  🙂

With respect and g’night to you,  Puro 🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  Oh no, we can’t have “excessive emotion” ? Of course, and we must. We’ve had it and it’s worked.

I think I just answered this on the episode thread instead of here — ?? But this is great stuff, so, yeah!  I can’t, personally, imagine traveling with the Doctor, particularly #12 (I’m only 18 yrs older than PC), without becoming very attached.  Good grief, who could resist The Fool in all his glory?!

-but amiable, stable and gentle characters won’t cut it: the wild and erratic emotion, the ‘force 10’ hugs and the grasping need to hang on to the one other who seems human (but is a TL) is essential to communicate just how vast, ominous and bleak the universe can be -but also how majestic, noble and extravagant as well

Ex-damn-actly.  Could we really go spinning and lurching through all that vast magnificence and *not* react by reaching for a warm, bodily contact of some kind if it’s to hand?  Sure, our astronauts are trained to attend strictly to measurements and responses to tech signals, to attend outwardly rather than inwardly (or so it appears, from the way they communicate about the experience — they’re chosen to start with for their stability, self-sufficiency, co-operativeness, and amiableness after all).  For the untrained, the enormity of it all would be crushing, I think, without touches exchanged with another air breathing animal, preferably human(oid).  Extreme circumstances evoke extreme reactions . . . and that’s a *healthy* response, a life-saving and sanity-preserving response, IMO.  Wish we had more of it without the extreme circumstances . . . maybe as we mature as a species.

And yet — as a person who rarely initiates hugs, myself, I do respect the needs of some people most of the time and (probably) all people some of the time to pull back from the emotional swirl, stand aside and dive inward for a steadying touch to personal bedrock.  Not that I’m a solid example of one side or the other, really — from my dad’s side, coldness + passion, reserve, roving and cynical intellect, ambition, judgment both inward and outward, and warm touching used sparsely because it feels overwhelming when you do indulge  My mom’s family of Viennese Jews — all warmth all the time, hugs and communication a-plenty, the volatility never settles but is rarely mean or cutting, *great* roast chicken and knadle soup, invasive but loving concern from all, a passion for the arts, the life in my veins.  So I reckon I’m like my own companion + and my own Doctor.  How weird!  Must be time to grab some protein again . . . or maybe that’s how most people feel anyway?

@plainolddave   the male companion for action and the female companion for emotional attachment TO THE PLOT, not to the Doctor.

I dunno, but I don’t see how anybody could travel for long with the AG Doctors *without* developing some emotional attachment to them.  For me, being emotionally attached to the plot is more appropriate to the fairy tale or legend model — the characters are less complex because the action matters more and everything serves the outcome of the plot (that is, plot takes precedence because there’s only so much time and space involved and plot is big and takes up a lot of it).  If DW were just that or even mostly that — as perhaps it has been in the past, BG (I don’t remember), I wouldn’t be watching it because there would be no way for me to attach, emotionally, to the Doctor or anyone else in the story — and without that attachment, why would I care?  But that’s me, one among billions, so . . .

@purofilion   Although I also wonder if there’s some kind of other idea here: that men are “for action” and the “female companion for emotional attachment” -as if women are the emotional ones. Would you prefer the Doctor to not touch or hug? I can understand that it could be seen as ‘not manly’

I think that can be a strong factor, too, for people with a more traditional mindset.  Not so much that it’s not manly to be demonstratively emotional, but it doesn’t suit the heroic model of what a man should be.  In the States, popular culture is still very hung up on the square-jawed, fairly impassive hero figure who just grits his teeth and gets the job done (or doesn’t even bother gritting his teeth: see “James Bond”).  That template fits our plague of “action movies” so well, but is also so restrictive that anything else gets jeered at as “emo” (emotional, in a negative sense) and part of the (unwelcome) “feminization” of American men (to hear the Right wing tell it, anyway).  The loosening of gender roles in recent years is allowing people to get some idea of whether and how men *are* emotional, since showing any of that has been so taboo for so long in this society —  where emotionality in men has been (and still is) seen as weakness (can’t speak for UK culture, of course, though it seems it’s not that different).

I can understand and respect it may well be a generational thing and perhaps a ‘traditional’ role should be taken on by the Doctor whilst viewers expect the Doctor to meet that role and for that role to remain similar as those around him change. And that is fine.

It’s fine to hold that expectation, yes, but it also means you’re probably going to be disappointed a good deal of the time.  DW *is* about change, and it’s moving further away from that older ideal, as is much else in popular culture.  Not without strong reaction, of course, like hip-hop music in the States, all sex-guns-money).  Look at “Penny Dreadful”, Timothy Dalton’s Victorian adventurer Sir Malcolm Something, exposing the bleak underside of what “adventuring” and “exploring” meant in a colonial context and how the emotional consequences come back to tear his heart out; vs. Eva Green’s Vanessa, fighting off all kinds of restrictive expectations laid upon her by her society and insisting on exploring her own true strengths and weaknesses at any cost.  It’s not *just* ghoulies and ghosties, any more than DW is just monsters and space wars.  Tidal waves, indeed.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

I can understand and respect it may well be a generational thing and perhaps a ‘traditional’ role should be taken on by the Doctor whilst viewers expect the Doctor to meet that role and for that role to remain similar as those around him change. And that is fine.

It’s fine to hold that expectation, yes, but it also means you’re probably going to be disappointed a good deal of the time.  DW *is* about change, and…

Oh believe me, I understand. I was trying to be respectful to the poster above! I believe it must evolve and has -in the correct way, as @bluesqueakpip and yourself explained very well on the other thread.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

As to who should be the next companion, I was wondering if Moffat et al had considered not having a companion at all for a while. When I think back to Hartnell (and apologies for the others who have already made this point) the original dynamic of the Doctor and the companions was very different. Then it was the companions who engaged in derring-do, who did the running through caves, who fought off aliens, who saved people. Then, with Troughton, the balance slowly began to change. By the time of Pertwee, the Doctor was becoming the man of action. Now, it is the Doctor who saves people (and companions).

So, could they experiment with a Doctor sans companion? There would be companion-like guest stars, of course, but they would be so within the structure of the story, from week to week.

It might even fit the Doctor in his current, somewhat damaged state. He is sick of losing people. Clara in particular, but he has lost so many companions. As River has commented, he doesn’t like good-byes. Indeed, the 10th season could be The Doctor, front and centre. Perhaps, the arc might be about finding his lost family…

Not sure, just thinking aloud.

Arbutus @arbutus

@blenkinsopthebrave      Personally, I would love this. I was always sorry that they didn’t explore this a little bit more after Eleven lost Amy. Ten travelled alone for awhile after the Donna fiasco, and although I didn’t love everything about those specials, I did enjoy the flexibility that came from the lack of a permanent companion. I try to avoid too many spoilers, but I’m pretty sure I would have heard if any permanent new companion had been announced, so I’m a bit hopeful that the radio silence means that Moffat and Co. might actually be considering this.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @nerys @ichabod

I was watching Donna’s ‘series’ again and noticing that young Donna (no especial sexual tension with the Doctor) is constantly hugging the Doctor: after every incident when they’re apart: be it The Ood episode, Midnight, Silence in the Library,  Turn Left they grab onto each other and hold on like the good friends they are -and the love that connects them is somewhat marvellous. Just as Clara hugs the Doctor so Donna, with none of that ‘sexy’ nature, hugs him too.

Rather wonderful. Puts into perspective that great phrase “we’re just friends” 🙂

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I like your idea too. I liked Cribbins ‘guest starring’ It was a lovely set of episodes. “it’s them aliens, I’ll bet my pension, you go back you swine,” hurls Cribbins at the ‘menace’.

I think if anyone can do sans companion it would be this Doctor in particular -he really is larger than life. His tone and unusual presence, height and funky accoutrements  would make him fearsome. Even with the sunglasses which seem to have caused an internet ‘burn down’

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  I think if anyone can do sans companion it would be this Doctor in particular -he really is larger than life. His tone and unusual presence, height and funky accoutrements would make him fearsome. Even with the sunglasses which seem to have caused an internet ‘burn down’

Oooh, yeah.  But what *is* it with the sunglasses, for cripes’ sake?  The fact that he wears them indoors?  That look goes with the electric guitar as naturally as — whatever goes really naturally with something else.  Grass and sheep?

Anonymous @

@ichabod I don’t know about the s’glasses  but I annoy ppl when I move from outside to inside and end up dropping them to my chin and holding them there -as soon as the sun moves up into the room, I put them back on. I guess this could be seen as a kind of affectation? 🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  It’s only an affectation, IMO, if your eyes aren’t more sensitive to glare than normal.

janetteB @janetteb

I too have been thinking that there might be a series with no companion but temporary companions. In a way the Girl Who Lived was testing that. The Doctor has enough friends scattered through time now to have plenty of recurring companions. Would be nice to see Bors resurrected too. By using a mix of recurring characters and one off companions I think it would be quite dynamic. (Was talking to the local Dr Who fan club Pres’ last night and he said that Capaldi is having “the time of his life” playing the Doctor which was nice to hear.)

@Purofilion Wasn’t Bernard Cribbons lovely. I missed him as much as Donna whom R.2 and I were just discussing. He said that most of his friends think Donna is the best companion so far. I find that interesting given the demographic. (males of about 18 yrs old.)

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb indeed he was lovely. Am not too surprised about Donna being loved by the 18 yr olds. Many a school boy I spoke too loved Rose and Martha equally in terms of “hotness” (don’t you love boys?) but also thought the “spunk” Donna showed, her go-get it attitude was also ‘ahem’ pretty “hot too”.

Something about her brings out the love in all of us! She has a deep voice, stood up for herself and enjoyed life and being independent. Young men find that quite fiery. Interestingly, only my brother, who turns 68 next Month, didn’t like Donna as she was too “shouty” and perhaps @plainolddave might shed focus on that too? Did you like Donna has a proper companion, Dave?

I think my own SO loved her -she was something different from the angst ridden time of series 2 and 3.

Just a naming thing @janetteb but Season 1 is Eccleston, then Seasons 2-4 are Tennant’s (Rose, Martha, Donna) and then the specials (which are quite long!) are not ‘seasoned’ so the next actual season is known by all as S5 (with Eleven or Smithy)?

I get quite confused with the ‘Gap’ years  -without companions. I suppose it inclines us to believe that without companion, the Doctor is unseasoned! 🙂 It suggests that the show is vastly incomplete when only the male lead is present. He is, after all, not to “travel alone.” A fact more prominent each year and yet, now that the Doctor has figured out his “good man” status, could allude to some interesting solo stories; possibly a romance, even…Not with a human of course! Then again, maybe not!

I hope your assignments with your eldest are soon coming to a halt? I think you have formals down in SA too? Or are they simply called graduation dances? The girls at the state school here (and it’s worse at the private schools) can spend up to $2000 on the dress, the hair, the car and makeup. Oh, and the nails. Probably also the alcohol for the ‘post-formal’ booze fest -what a joke. They bring ‘vomit’ clothes so their formal dress won’t be ruined although, many, who diet like crazy over 6 months, will never wear them again. I remember being immensely proud spending about $20 on mine and wearing very much the opposite of the taffeta marsh mellow which was the ‘trend’ at the time. I wore mine about 18 times across uni balls and dances (For once, I was forward thinking)

nerys @nerys

And yet what’s remarkable to me about Donna was that she wasn’t cast as the “babe” I’d imagine most 18-year-olds would find appealing. She was attractive enough, but not according to Hollywood’s skewed image of the female form, as she was curvy in an “average female body shape” sort of way. Which, by the way, I applaud. How I wish more leading ladies of this body type were cast. But I just didn’t imagine that 18-year-old boys would find her attractive. The average woman in me was “You go, girl!”ing her all the way, especially as she developed into such a remarkable companion. Tough, yet endearingly vulnerable. And then her memory of all that she had done was stolen away from her. Which is why I still yearn for a better resolution for Donna. Her linkage with our current Doctor’s face gives me hope that it may yet come.

Missy @missy

@millymac

Hello there. Only just read your post. Interesting theory and no more bonkers than all the others.
    I doubt if Benedict ( my favourite actor) would do it though, much too busy. He also said that he wouldn’t appear on DW – but that could change.

Cheers

Missy

millymac @millymac

@missy

Haha, thanks! I just come up with them out of nowhere.

I’ve seen a lot of social media about there being a Dr Who & Sherlock crossover, I don’t think it should happen, it would be great fun… But can you imagine it working at all? The Doctor is a genius, Sherlock is a genius, I just don’t think it would work at all besides for humour.

I don’t think much of Clara either, but since seeing last weeks episode I’m sure Ingrid will be the new companion. But I don’t want her to be, it sounds silly but most of the companions have had the same makeup besides Donna (I think). I’d really love for the new companion to be an older woman, maybe a historian. So when she and the Doctor are travelling she’s interested in artefacts and the history, and he’s away busy dealing with a hidden alien society or something. It would be fantastic to watch something like that.

Also what is everyone’s thoughts on Peter Capaldi? Has anyone seen him in The Thick Of It? He’s absolutely fantastic! Being The Doctor has definitely brought out his best acting. Fabulous man he is.

Sorry for rambling… It happens when I get a little over excited hah

@millymac I really enjoy Peter Capaldi as The Doctor. Peter has always been a wonderful actor and The Doctor was the right role for him. He brings out a side to The Doctor were he will break the rules of time to do the right thing. His Doctor appears to be darker but, really it’s the same nice man, just in a darker form.

ichabod @ichabod

@millymac   I’d really love for the new companion to be an older woman, maybe a historian. So when she and the Doctor are travelling she’s interested in artefacts and the history, and he’s away busy dealing with a hidden alien society or something. It would be fantastic

It would be fantastic, and I for one would love it — but can you imagine the endless firestorms of nit-picking craziness from the fans who are still screaming about electric eels in The Girl Who Died?  The writers and researchers et al already have their plates full; I wouldn’t want to see the scripts scanted because too much time was spent researching how many buttons were usual on a vice rear-admiral’s coat cuff (if any!) in 1815.

As for Capaldi, I think he’s magnificent in this role.  He was great in TToI, but as a satirical comedy, the show offered him a pretty restricted range (at least until the very end, when they gave Tucker the boot).  DW, with all its wild gyrations of tone, has really cut him loose.  Well, except no overt sexy stuff, given the audience, but frankly, I don’t miss it.  As a powerful driver of real life action it’s omnipresent for us in *reality*, but pushing it very much into the background (or reserving it for Torchwood, where I found it really annoyingly obtrusive, in fact) leaves DW free to explore other stuff — our responsibilities to and for each other, the workings of character flaws, violence and government, and, of course, Time, for starters.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

beautifully written -he has been ‘set free’ hasn’t he? Tonally and physically. And I also agree that in T/wrd the physical stuff was “obtrusive” to the point of ridiculousness.

Capaldi has hit it out of the park -however, I kind of thought he would.

winston @winston

@purofilion and @ichabod I totally agree about Capaldi in the role of the Doctor. His Doctor has a depth and mystery that draws you in and a manner that drives you away. He is his own Doctor , yet you know the others are in there and every now and then he lets one of them out. He is “fantastic!”

Missy @missy

Having seen all the Doctors now – from 2005 – I had no favouite, they were all as good as each other in different ways.

Then Peter Capaldi came along and BINGO, he’s the best.

@millymac Yep, it could be fun, but possibly a daft mistake. *big grin*

I haven’t seen yesterday’s DW and don’t intend to watch any more. I would rather wait until I get the DVD.

I can do this – I know I can. Blimey there’s a lot of “I’s” in this.

Until then,

Cheers,

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  I also agree that in T/wrd the physical stuff was “obtrusive” to the point of ridiculousness.

It was like being in bl**dy High School again — who’s going out with who, who had a fight with their maybe s.o. and is sulking over it, who’s not attracted to the satyr Captain Jack, god almighty, can we please get some of this damn soap off us long enough to have a story?  The *only* thing I remember — visually, in my brain — is, would you believe it, John Frobisher and his family — people with actual grown up problems, like being afraid for their children.  I came to really dislike Captain Jack H., thinking I sure wouldn’t want this guy with the fiery pants for everything and everybody all the time around if I had life-threatening business to attend to.

But I’m a fan of subtlety and depth, so that show was never for me (I tried, though; I did).  And of course my memories of the show may be distorted by time . . .

@missy  Best in my opinion, too.  And I agree with whoever it was who noted that re-watches of Tom Baker’s best tend to bring out the cringe in me, although he was “my Doctor” for years.  I have to watch the zygon invasion tomorrow on an iTunes download, because the sound on the TV broadcasts is so overwhelmed by the music that I miss half the dialog.  On my computer, I control the balance at the speakers, so I get all the lines there.

I can tell you one thing, though, without sound: when I saw Truth or Consequences as (obviously) imagined by the Who staff, I had to laugh.  I’ve teen to T or C, as it’s called around here.  It’s out on the barren plains that form the eastern half of New Mexico, not a mountain in sight; and it has *no* “Hispanic” style to its architecture at all, having been founded by a bunch of white Baptists from West Texas, as I recall.  So that’s *me* found a nit to pick!

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Oh I know! Even young Gwyn ended up having an affair with the Doctor (whatever his name was) whilst poor Cho (or whatever her name was, actually had a major crush on him too). Then the same Gwyn engaged to her pal, still has the ‘hots’ for Capt Jack who apparently feels the same for her –and Ianto (his name I do recall).

It really was 50% soap but there were some good stories -in between all the silly spy-ware stuff where, typically, during the credits, you see all 5 walking stiffly thru the wind with their fancy black cars behind them, all dressed in ‘spy-Black 2009’ very severe and unsmiling -like an English CSI. I think RTD loved that stuff and milked it helplessly. The idea that Ianto dressed in formal suit was fronting a DVD shop with an invisible lift was quite funny. I think he even had a pocket watch. In Comic-cons people go bananas for Ianto and Barrowman -it’s pretty ridiculous, really, but then Gwyn would have made a nice companion for the Dr =Barrowman would have been too intense, imo.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  I didn’t see Captain Jack as intense, just as always just-this-side-of-hysterical and way too exhausting, like a large, over-eager dog with (sometimes) soulful eyes constantly sniffing crotches and trying to hump your leg (or the leg of the guy standing next to you).  Let’s just say I liked him best as the huge, jarred, and somnolent Face of Boe (which, apparently, was just a throw-away joke anyway).  I’m sure I’m firmly in the minority in this as in many things, and so it goes; not to worry.

I do believe I dreamed last night of attending a meeting addressed by Ursula K. LeGuin.  Capaldi and some of the cast and crew were there, too, along with many of my writing colleagues (I head off to the World Fantasy Convention in Saratog, NY, next Wednesday, so I guess I’m jumping the gun and already thinking in group terms).  Big Issues were on the table.  I wish I could remember what they were . . .

janetteB @janetteb

I quickly gave up on Torchwood for the reasons mentioned above. I preferred Sarah Jane Adventures, which being written for a young demographic just got on with the adventure with a lovely rapport between the young actors and Sarah Jane. Personally I thought it a lot more mature than Torchwood.

I agree @Purofilion that Gwyn would have made a lovely assistant, with that beautiful accent. I do love the Welsh accent. Oh and R.2. (second son in case that is getting confusing) has only the Math’s exam to go and that is his Dad’s department. I bow out when it comes to Maths. I really did enjoy helping with the Drama essays however. So much so that now I want to go back to Uni. And he too thought the school formal was absurdly priced and so chose not to go much to my relief. We promised to take him out to dinner after the exam instead. Much cheaper, better food and no speeches.

I was a bit confused about the second paragraph of your post re’ the numbering of series. Have I been getting it wrong? Well I almost certainly have. I have a terrible memory for numbers, (hence maths not being my thing) so usually just refer to them by the Doctor and companion. Apologies if that causes confusion.

@missy. I have said this before but having recently watched some Eccleston and Tenant stories, (seriously Eccleston as a “skin head”. Really!!) I am reminded that my favourite Doctor is always the one I happen to be watching. When it comes to companions however Donna was a definite favourite. I have liked aspects of all the other companions, Rose to begin with though over time she began to irritate me, Martha in Human Nature and Family of Blood I could relate to maybe because I worked in menial jobs in the U.K. but also  I think in part due to the writing of those two episodes, likewise Amy and Clara have had their strengths and weaknesses. Rory is probably my second favourite companion of AG Who.

Wow. Only five companions, (counting Rory and Amy as one as they were “team pond”) since the reboot. It seems like more.

Cheers

Janette

millymac @millymac

@gamergirlavatar I’ve just seen your comment on the Doctor being darker, so sorry I’m not sure how to work this forum yet haha but YES! Absolutely spot on, he brings a darkness with him, very very different from anything I’ve seen before, it makes you feel like there’s going to be something sinister coming, but it doesn’t happen! So strange.

@ichabod Yes I agree, Dr Who gives him a lot to work with a mon avis, and the way he acts is amazing. Not sure what the electric guitar is all about, but it’s quirky. I’m convinced the new companion is Ingrid still- just by seeing her in last nights episode. I won’t say too much because @missy is waiting for the DVD hah

Lovely speaking to you all!

ichabod @ichabod

@millymac  he brings a darkness with him, very very different from anything I’ve seen before, it makes you feel like there’s going to be something sinister coming, but it doesn’t happen! So strange.

Oh, I think it’s coming; but it’s Moffat’s genius to make us *wait* for it.

Anonymous @

@janetteb

I was a bit confused about the second paragraph of your post re’ the numbering of series. Have I been getting it wrong? No, that would be me! I have no clue and I think it was connected with a new member who was talking about naming the episodes from the original first serial, as it were. But no matter.

I thought Eccle was 1, with 2, 3, 4  being Tennant’s – then the specials – but S 5 was the beginning of young Smith’s reign? Which means 8 and 9 are Capaldis so that the intervening 2 years were Smith’s  as well? I may be completely wrong. I have an issue with numbers.

Me too, regarding Boy Ilion, he ends up having to ask Papa about maths -except Algebra -that I adore. For some mad reason. Also, trig, that was fun too -followed a precise formula, no deviations so I could do it. But the stuff with “there’s  train following another at 105 miles an hour with 67 passengers consuming 80 kilos of food, what is the…..” My brain melts then, I’m afraid.

Give me fractal patterns on sheet music. My breathing relaxes or maybe not?

Ever have those dreams when you’re studying for an exam and realise you don’t know anything? I get these dreams all the time! Last night I was both playing some tough piano pieces and, beyond me, also dancing ballet. Yes, ballet. It was ridiculous. I had done some 3 perfect sessions and then the dream started to ‘unfold’ insofar as I could see myself taking longer between ‘performances’, making things up and then absurdly looking embarrassed and twirling on the spot while everyone ‘coughed’ and looked away – there were thousands of people. It was just terrible…. I did however, have an awesome body, in tights. 🙂

Yeah, for dreams. Maybe.

Anonymous @

bugger on the wrong thread -thought I was in the Pub. Sorry mods.

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Rose and Donna remain my favourites, but I like Clara, she is very convincing.

Martha (with the exception of HUman Nature and Family of Blood) used to get up my nose somewhat, as did Amy and Rory- especially Amy, but I didn’t dislike them either.
    You are right, just 5 companions in 10 years. Pretty good going.

Cheers

Missy

Missy @missy

@millymac

What is more, Amazon has just informed me that my copy of series 9 is on it’s way…jumps up and punches the air!

I sat in front of my DVD recordewr last night and deleted Doctor Who – yes, you heard right DELETED it, unseen!

You have to admit that took courage?

Naturally, I’m not reading any posts which relate to the episodes.

Cheers,

Missy

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@missy @lisa

I was a bit confused by the comment about deleting this episode because the Series DVD was on its way. Isn’t the release this week Season 9 Part 1 (Episodes 1-6)? Part 2 (Episodes 7-12) is released in December right after the finale.

I think a single Series 9 complete box set isn’t released till next year.

Missy @missy

@phaseshift

You are so right. It’s only Part One that’s coming! Drat! I should be more vigilant – daft tart that I am!

Oh well, thank goodness I have a special fund for DVD’s

Be warned, really check before you order, I shall.

Missy

McCotton @mccottonthedoctorfan

A thread about the companions.  Well, let me start off with my opinion:

Favorite companion:  Actually that’s tough.  Right now, the best I can do is a five-way tie (because I can’t decide how to rank them) between Jo, Donna, Ace, Ian, and Lethbridge-Stewart (and yes, in that particular debate, I am in the group that considers the Brigadier a companion)

Least favorite: Mel

Missy @missy

@mccottonthedoctorfan

ME is the one possibility I could live without, so I agree.
    It isn’t the actresses fault, but I simply can’t warm to her.

All my hopes were pinned on Osgood, but now they have been dashed – or have they?

Cheers,

Missy

@missy Yeah.  Out of curiosity, mostly because there seems to be ongoing debates about it, would you consider the Brigadier and River companions?

DoctorDani @doctordani

@mccottonthedoctorfan Obviously this question wasn’t directed at me, but I thought I’d jump in anyway. I believe someone asked about River being his companion at a Q&A and Alex Kingston jumped in and declared her character was a wife not a companion. I’d agree with that to be honest. It chimes with what Moffat says about their interplay being distinct from that between The Doctor and those who travel with him full-time, because the relationship is different. They’re on more of an equal footing in that her expertise match and compliment his. I’m not sure about the Brigadier. I think a distinction probably needs to made there too.

@doctordani I believe that one of the producers from the classic series called the Brigadier a companion and that was how the debate started.

OB-Wan @ob-wan

@doctordani

On the face of it, that seems a little strange.  I mean can you imagine someone saying “She’s my wife, but she’s not my companion”? (And what if she heard you?)

You can be a companion without being a wife, but can you be a wife without being a companion?  I know that Doctor Who and River are not a conventional couple and they may not travel together extensively but still…

Perhaps it’s like people who have a Doctorate who get insulted if you call them “Mr.”  Maybe she was saying that she was much more than JUST a companion.

I usually go with the credits.  When a person is listed in the opening credits, to me, that makes them a companion, even if it’s just for one episode, like Wilfred Mott in “The End of Time” or Craig Owens in “Closing Time”.

Alex Kingston has been in 12 episodes and is credited in the opening 5 times (according to Wiki – not a perfect source, but I don’t have the videos in front of me right now to count them myself).  BTW The Brigadier, despite appearing in over 100 episodes is listed as a companion in only one – “The Five Doctors” – and that kind of makes sense.  Especially since his previous appearances were as more of a “boss” with The Doctor as his consultant, not his companion.

I’m reminded of a story from Isaac Asimov who heard a fan talking about one of his stories and Asimov challenged him on his interpretation.  The fan told him – Just because you wrote it, what makes you think that you know the most about it?.  Asimov considered that and agreed that just because he wrote the story doesn’t mean that he had studied it more than someone else might.  That once the story was released to the public, it was up to them to interpret it the way they wanted as long as they could explain themselves and their theories rationally – and some of their theories might be just as valid as the author’s.

So I’m going to disagree with Alex, I’m afraid.  Even ignoring the opening credits – a wife is, in my mind, by definition, a companion – with the usual proviso that there are exceptions to every rule.

Perhaps some may think that River is an exception – that’s fine, but I don’t agree.

@ob-wan I don’t think it’s exactly like that.  I think, because they’re married, it’s more of a status thing.  Like, and this makes River sound kind of pompous and snobbish and I’m really not trying to do that, she considers herself above his companions because they’re married.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 970 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.