Doctor Who News (3)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (3)

This topic contains 1,028 replies, has 95 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,029 total)
  • Author
    gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Thanks to every one who responded to my Torchwood post . Every one has been talking about seasons one , two , and three though . What is every ones thoughts on season four Miracle Day and if you think Torchwood should return on TV than where and when do you think Torchwood should pick up from . What changes would you like to see and how do you expect the characters to change . Again thanks to every one who responded .

I have a theory ( I guess it’s a theory ) on why some fans hated Torchwood Miracle Day . I think Torchwood fans are so intelligent and they like real TV . That’s why they like Torchwood . Even though it’s sci-fi it’s more real than other shows ( mostly american shows ) . Than when we got Miracle Day the show was still intelligent but it didn’t appeared that way . They had to many explosions and fight scenes . They also added two characters that were not smart . Esther was dumb and let her feelings get in the way . She did get a back bone in the last two episodes but it was to late . Every one hated her . Than we had Rex . He was the loud moron who didn’t like Torchwood because he thought he was always right . He also thought he was so important becaused he worked for the government . Both of these characters became important in the end but people thought it was to late for them . Yes they came in handy but that was it . The fans didn’t liked them because of that . If you hate Torchwood Miracle Day because of these reasons or other reason than comment on this post .

Anonymous @

@manishkumar123 – Just so you know, I can delete your posts quicker than you can type them.

If you wish to waste your time spamming then that’s entirely up to you but I’d suggest you delete your account and go elsewhere as we don’t tolerate spamming on this site. At all. Ever. Understood?

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox I noticed your timely ‘delete’. Pages of this stuff about “meat packing” and “fast lane delivery” was in the in-box at home. At first I thought the entire site had gone kablooey. When I checked the activity page it had gone already.

Well done!  It’s annoying you have to do that, though. Why on earth would a Doctor Who Forum be a likely space to freely advertise your Indian packaging and delivery site? Totally bizarre. Still, an Indian outfit rang me last week claiming to be my bank and wanting to speak to Mr Ilion as the main account holder. As soon as I quizzed him, he hung up.

Stranger things….

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

This thread has sadly not seen a a lot of action of late. Hopefully it will pick up a bit after the so-called summer. In the meantime, this year’s Doctor Who Festival at the Excel has just been announced….

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish Thanks for posting the Doctor Who Festival info, I just got an email alert about it, but you beat me to it 🙂

I presume tickets won’t go quite as fast as they did for the last Excel event for the 50th, but I’d suggest that anyone wanting to go shouldn’t hang around before trying to bookl!  Hopefully the phone and email lines will be able ot cope better this time. I remember a day of repeat dial, followed by crashed phone line before I could finish booking 🙁

13-15 Nov, Excel, London

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Presumably this is the ‘we’re-not-really-celebrating-the-tenth-anniversary-of-the-new-series-honest-guv’ event? 🙂

I hope the tickets don’t go as fast as the Fiftieth, because I’m unlikely to be able to try booking until tomorrow afternoon (booking opens tomorrow, btw).

ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  — Sure sounds like it.  It sounds massive and delightful.  Luckily, I’m not really up for that kind of crazy ruckus any more (never was, much), and am pledged to a yearly fantasy Con in Saritoga springs, NY, where an old friend is GOH this year, so . . .  Can’t get to ComiCon in San Diego either, since they only announced the DW team’s attendance a couple of weeks ago and the downtown accommodation has been booked up by the Con since booking opened in April and again, I’ve committed to be elsewhere (near Boston) that weekend.  Drat.  I trust there will be good TV coverage and internet clips of all these events (no doubt there will be others cropping up before the end of the 10th anniversary year).  Lucky you, Blue, being on the spot.

But what I really want is — S9!  Now.  Now, I tell you!

Okay, so that’s me booked in for the Saturday (as a Cyberman – dunno how that happened).

Not as frantic as the 50th – though the TARDIS tickets seem to have all gone for all three days, so it’s obviously booking reasonably fast.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Hope you have a good time at the event. I’m afraid that I’m not going to be able to play. 🙁

I think that must be a clear signal that the run is going to start on August Bank Holiday weekend like last year. Saturday 29th August. A twelve week run puts you at the convention on the day of the finale. I wonder if the last two parter will act as a thematic celebration of the AG years? Hope you can give us your thoughts on the event. Some of the content really does sound very interesting (the writers Q&A workshop for example).

Oh yes – by the way, looking at the Calender this year, Halloween actually falls on a Saturday this year. That’s going to be irresistible to someone who like tying stories to the calender year, isn’t it?

@phaseshift

Booo. 🙂

The Excel’s always a great venue for me, because it’s close enough to commute. So instead of worrying about travel/hotels etc, it’s simply ‘does it appear interesting, am I free on one of the days?’

Yes, the Q&A session with the writers looks rather good.

Regarding the finale on that weekend: aren’t they having a full series of thirteen episodes this year? So unless the Christmas Special is Episode 13, they’d have to start on the 22nd August to have the finale on the 14th November.

On the other hand, if the finale is a two-parter, we could be on the start of the finale. Thematically, that makes sense; it connects with the show’s original birthday by starting on the weekend of the 13th and then moves the story onwards.

Yes, if I’m the only one who can make it, I will see if I can do a blog.

SpaceAgeClockwork @spaceageclockwork

I am going on the Friday. I was in two minds, since I went to the 50th anniversary one, but in the end I couldn’t help myself and caved. I shall spend the greater part of the day making myself resist buying a replica coat (11th Doctor – purple).

ichabod @ichabod

@spaceageclockwork — oh fr gods’ sake, buy the coat!  Buy the coat!  What is money for, if not the gratification of our fantasies!

Anonymous @

Good news, AG Doctor Who takes it’s first steps in the Big Finish universe with a UNIT based spin-off featuring Kate Stewart and Osgood.

Warning: The last paragraph contains a mild spoiler

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-08/doctor-who-stars-jemma-redgrave-and-ingrid-oliver-get-their-own-spin-off-adventure

I wonder if we’ll be getting any 9th, 10th and 11th Doctor stories soon?

Today is Colin Bakers 72nd birthday . Happy birthday to the 6th Doctor . Also UNITs radio plays will be coming out this November .

thesilencehasfallen @thesilencehasfallen

So we all know that the new doctor is old right. well here’s my theory on it, since the new doctors on and new regeneration line he is repeating history just like the first doctor he is old. Please tweak and comment

Anonymous @

@thesilencehasfallen

welcome to this site! Hope you grand old time. Perhaps you can find the thread which talks about your favourite doctor and why you came to like the show?

Referencing you question -I’m not sure this is the right thread? Let’s go to The Sofa?

See you there!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

I’ve been following the announcements of writers for episodes and based on official BBC statements it looks like the series is a 12 episode run, followed by a break and then Christmas.

It may be they are making a thing of 12 episodes for Doctor 12, and do what they did last year, with one episode being double length (as Deep Breath was). Pure speculation, but Deep Breath was an event at the start to introduce the new Doctor. If this festival coincides with the end of the twelve week run, could it be an “event” of some other kind, and be extra long?

The list of writer Directors (No ep titles or anything)

1&2 Steven Moffat (Dir) Hetty MacDonald
    3&4 Toby Whitehouse (Dir) Daniel O’Hara
    5 Jamie Mathieson & Steven Moffat (Dir) Ed Bazalgette
    6 Catherine Tregenna (Dir) Ed Bazalgette
    7 & 8 Peter Harness (Dir) Daniel Nettheim
    9 Unknown
    10 Sarah Dollard Unknown
    11 Steven Moffat Unknown
    12 Steven Moffat Unknown

At this stage I’d guess 9 is Mark Gatiss, as he mentioned that he’d written two last year, with “the scary one” being held back until this year.

Sarah Dollard is a recent announcement, and makes this an interesting lineup if only because there is a real Being Human look to this, with Mathieson and Dollard both scripting for Whitehouse on that show. She’s also worked recently with Whitehouse on The Game.

Expect to see the usual people who complain about lack of female writers suddenly declare their scripts are rubbish and evidence that they’ve been shoehorned in by Moffat to cover up the fact that he’s a PC Nazi while somehow simultaneously being a woman hater. 😀 As Dollard is an Australian, I think she may have a robust riposte to anyone who tries the kind of shit that was tried on Helen Raynor.

As outlined by Minchin, the idea of more two partners is unusual in that tone and direction may suddenly shift in different ways, and with different writers. I think that’s why I envy you the writers Q&A – it may reveal more about the philosophy after you’ve seen the bulk of the episodes, so your thoughts on it would be appreciated for those of us who can’t go.

Billie Piper , Jenna Coleman , and Karen Gillan will be at a fan expo in Canada , but a date is not set yet . Also Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be at a fan expo in Berlin on the 17th of July .

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

Ooh yes, Sarah Dollard…excellent. Australians are known for their “robust argument” according to JuliaHulia Gillard.

Now, I’m thrilled about Harness -not one but two episodes. It may have been @jimthefish who mentioned liking Brannagh’s Wallander: also a Harness job?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I suppose congratulations are in order to Steven Moffat who has been awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours. RTD won it in recognition of services to Doctor Who Drama in 2008. SM has won it for the same reasons. Brenda, eh? What a fan girl!

@purofilion

Yep – straight back for Mr Harness with a double parter. I think Harness wrote a large amount of the last two series of Wallander, but @jimthefish probably knows the show better than I do.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@purofilion and @phaseshift — Harness wrote all of s3 of the Branagh Wallander and two of the three upcoming ones in the final season this year. What with this, Jonathan Strange and Who, he’s certainly been a busy fellow of late.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish Ah hah! I didn’t know that his output was quite that extensive -I haven’t seen J Strange but have stuck with Wall. after a shaky start.

Now, is there a blog for Firefly?? /:–}

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@purofilion — funny you should mention it but I’ve been working on the blog today. Should be up later. Apologies for the gorram delay.

RE. Wallander. I really rate the Branagh version. Mrs Fish virulently disagrees with me, but, hey, Mankel agrees with me, so there. I thought the first season was pretty good too. I thought David Warner put in some career-best stuff as Branagh’s dad. For a detective show, I thought it was one of the best examples of a drama dealing with the sibling/ailing/dying parent dynamic that I’ve seen.

@purofilion Well I know you can talk about firefly on the TV programmes thread and there are a lot of blogs and chat rooms that firefly fans have started but I don’t know the names of any , sorry . Have you seen ” Serenity ” yet ( the movie , not the first episode ) .

Anonymous @

A treat for Leela fans today.

BBC4Extra are broadcasting the Big Finish production Trail of the White Worm (not to be confused with The Lair of the White Worm which features another Doctor 😉 ) at 18:00 (repeated at midnight) while over on the Horror channel (freeview Ch.70) at 18:40 is the omnibus version The Horror of Fang Rock (repeated tomorrow at 08:00).

The Horror Channel are also showing 3rd Doctor stories Mon-Fri at 19:50. This week we say goodbye to Jo (The Green Death) and hello to Sarah Jane (The Time Warrior).

Good news , Moffat will honoured by the queen herself . He will be honoured an OBE ( Order of the British Empire ) for the service to the world of drama . Congratulations Steven Moffat .

Anonymous @

@gamergirlavatar thank you for that!

@jimthefish excellent: can’t wait to read that. Apologies? Heavens no! You have written a marvellous collection of beautifully analysed and concise pieces about the Buffyverse and you actually have a paying job -not to mention Real Life, so we wait with patience. Always. I should add there are many other blogs on the site at the mo, at any rate.

As to Wallander, yeah I agree that the scenes and feelings associated with the death of his father were aptly realised and with great sensitivity. Branagh (sheesh I keep spelling his name wrong) is one of those rare actors who can twitch his eyes or slightly raise an  eyebrow and convey just the right amount of emotion, tension or disbelief.  I hadn’t seen him in years -far cry from the hey-day of Much Ado About Nothing (“sigh no more oh ladies, sigh no more….” Wonderful score by Patrick Doyle)

@phaseshift

A double-length episode would certainly explain why they confirmed a full series of thirteen, but do seem to be doing twelve.

Regarding the women – judging by Helen Raynor’s experience I confidently expect them to be blamed for any special effects failures, costume failures, bad performances, the lighting design, the sound levels, Peter Capaldi’s Scottish accent and Murray Gold’s music.

@phaseshift

Brenda, eh? What a fan girl!

The excuse in both cases is probably Doctor Who’s sterling contribution to the UK’s balance of payments and overseas profile.

But it does carry a faint flavour of pointed hints during the weekly audience with the PM. 😉

nerys @nerys

I’m not sure where this news story about John Hurt should go, so I apologize if I have posted it in the wrong place. Mods, feel free to move it to the correct one, if necessary: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33151261

Carole Ann Ford turned 75 today . Happy birthday Carole .

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Welcome news for River Song fans who want to see her matched up with another Doctor. Might not be the “one you were expecting” though.

Apparently Big Finish have access to Professor River Song now in an agreement over story ideas with Steven Moffat. She’ll be meeting Doctor Eight in Doom Coalition 2 (the latest story strand in their Eighth Doctor adventures). How this will work in practice will be interesting. She’ll be played by Alex Kingston, so this Timey-Wimey incursion may be out of phase (and thus leading to memory loss so Doctor 10 doesn’t recognise her). While I would have preferred to see a meeting like that on screen, it’s nice to know that the characters longevity in one form or another is guaranteed, and it doesn’t preclude other screen appearances.

I think it’s good news for Big Finish personally. This agreement also sees a number of new series creations meeting old Doctors for the first time (for example, Peter Davison is set to encounter the Weeping Angels). It may help breath a little diversity into the range.

Also on the cards is Ian McNeice as Churchill relating his various off screen encounters with the Doctor. The blurb mentions tales with Nine, Ten and Eleven (with a meeting with the Young Sardick set in A Christmas Carol). Personally (for once) I hope they include some references to Six, as Terrance Dicks wrote a good novel called Players which dealt with Six jumping about Churchill’s timeline as someone seems intent on killing him. As Colin Baker is on the books so to speak, it would be an interesting one. Players was Dicks attempt to show how he would have done Six, and it does work for me (even with my “issues” regarding six).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

The first proper trailer has just been published. For those averse to Spoilers – even BBC approved ones – let’s keep discussion of it here in the “BBC Approved Spoilers and Trailers blog:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/trailers/bbc-approved-doctor-who-series-9-spoilers-and-trailers/

Remember that it is ONLY for BBC approved spoilers – all other spoilers from other sources go in the proper Spoilers topic.

lisa @lisa
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I’ve gone on record before about the excellent AL Kennedy being on my wishlist for Doctor Who writers. After last year’s short story/novella thingy The Death Pit, she’s extended it to a novel, reviewed here and extensively on the web. I haven’t read it yet, although am currently reading her latest batch of short stories, many of which are sublime. I’m in two minds about this. There’s some accusations that she’s cashing in on a known brand as the market for literary fiction dries up. Not sure I buy that. But equally wonder if Who is the best outlet for her talents. I shall more than likely be checking it out anyway.

Now, all we have to do is get SM to commission a TV story off her….

Anonymous @
    ScaryB @scaryb

Attention all DW fans in the Edinburgh area on Thurs 27 Aug.

The Filmhouse is screening the first episode of Series 9 nearly 3 weeks ahead of TV broadcast!!! (Or am I wrong in thinking DW-Day is 19 Sep..?)

Set your alarm clocks for 10am, 21 July to get your tickets. (It’s not a big cinema so repeat dial could be necessary)

http://www.filmhousecinema.com/showing/doctor-who-the-magicians-apprentice-aug15/

Ooooh…. my fur is all aquiver *looks round guiltily in case mods spot the stray spots of glitter cascading on to the couch!* 😳

CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!

@wolfweed (Woolfweeeeeed!!! yay) @jimthefish (lovin the new Angry Salmond look, LOL) @barbaralefty… (We could make a Forum convention of it 🙂  )

ScaryB @scaryb

And thanks to everyone who’s been keeping the news entries up to date… ish 😉

Particular shoutouts to @fatmaninabox (mostly because of the FABULOUS new horticultural look to your box), @phaseshift and @lisa

And… @craig – a new trailer to discuss did you say? Wooohooo!

😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@JimtheFosh

Given A L Kennedy’s longstanding professed love of Dr Who I don’t think you could accuse her of cashing in. (OK I’m a bit biased, I agree would love to see her getting a shot by the Moff)

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — welcome back, o purple one…. Good to see you back (and you too, @wolfweed). You’ve both been much missed.

ooo, seeing the Magician’s Apprentice three weeks early. That might be kinda cool. Will try and get tickets tomorrow. Would it be something that our esteemed emperor @craig might want to make the trip back to the mother country for, I wonder? Also wonder who the special guests are. Could even be Moffatt himself. Isn’t that round about the time of the Telly Festival? He’s bound to be in town for that.

Henceforth I shall take Jim The Fosh as my alternate title.

Think you’re right about Kennedy btw. I just raised the ‘cashing in’ point as I’d read some ARSEs online trying to make the accusation.

ScaryB @scaryb

Deep bow to @jimthefish aka JumtheFosh 🙂 Thankee kindly sir!

You are spot on re it being part of the TV Fest. They did the same thing last year for Deep Breath (and I think Moffat was one of the guests then). Couldn’t make it last year but I’m definitely having a shot at getting tickets for this one. Let me know you get on.

I notice it’s a regulation 45 mins, so no extra length this time. Although it’s a 2 parter I think so I’ll let them off. (Very happy to see a few of those in S9 schedules).  It seems like it’s been such a loooong wait this year *sigh*

Haha ARSEness is never far away 🙂

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb–

No obvious Who faces in the festival line-up but it’s still a pretty stellar collection of faces for all that….

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — OK, that’s me in.

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish YAY!! Me too 🙂 🙂 🙂

Only downside is we then have to wait FOUR weeks till episode 2!!

See you on 27th Aug. (Fingers x’d for Moff for the Q&A)

XAD4 @xad4

Can anybody here recommend a reasonably-priced accommodation in Edinburgh for me to stay at for one night on the 27th August? 😉

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@xad4@scaryb is probably the one to ask. It’s her manor and she probably knows the decent hotels and suchlike….

XAD4 @xad4

Thanks @jimthefish

To be honest, I wasn’t really expecting a suggestion – just my clumsy way of announcing that I’ve got a ticket, too! 😀 (There’s a reason why I usually don’t write any posts… I’m just rubbish at it!)

A clever colleague of mine suggested getting a ticket for the night bus, which is probably what I will do. Only need to cover a few hours until the first train back home goes in the morning anyway… 🙂

PS: Apologies for being off-topic

ScaryB @scaryb

@xad4

Accommodation in Edinburgh’s  always a bit pricey, many times worse during August when there’s several festivals happening all at once, all over town.  But you should still be able to pick up something OK for around £50-60/room/night for single, en suite with breakfast, pay later option, if you book very soon!  Anything within a mile radius of the Filmhouse (Lothian Road, 5 mins from Prince St west end) should be OK for area and getting about.  You don’t want to be outwith walking distance – traffic’s a nightmare 🙂

Try booking.com, they’re usually good (or whatever your preferred accom booking site is). Best of luck.

janetteB @janetteb

Sounds exciting. I look forward to hearing all about it, (sans spoilers of course).

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (3)’ is closed to new replies.