Dr Who News (5)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (5)

This topic contains 58 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  TranslatorCircuit 4 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    TranslatorCircuit @translatorcircuit

I think this is the first time I’ve posted in Dr Who News. In the past I’ve posted in other parts of this forum, though. I’d like to confirm that I mean everything I say in this post. I can’t help thinking that other people have been slowly brainwashed by the BBC’s plans for Doctor Who, which weren’t announced all at once.
    <p class=”p1″>Unfortunately, the BBC seem to have killed the TV series called Doctor Who, which I’ll explain. I’m talking about the original showings on BBC1 and BBC iPlayer, which anyone should be able to watch with a little bit of effort.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>Doctor Who is a TV series, not a set of occasional “specials” with months in between each episode. The format that was established in 2005 was a series each year containing 13 episodes of about 50 minutes each. Not only that, but we had an added bonus of a Christmas Special each year to look forward to! That adds up to about 11 hours 40 minutes per year, or even a bit more, depending on the length of some episodes!</p>
    <p class=”p1″>Regardless of the content of any special, the BBC started messing around with Doctor Who only a few years after the modern series started. In 2009, there were only Doctor Who specials instead of a new series. I heard this was so David Tennant could swan off to play Shakespeare! I think any Doctor who does that must just be regenerated Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy style! By this I mean replaced by another actor who is given a wig, dressed in the same costume as the previous Doctor, then told to lie face down for the start of the regeneration scene. Colin Baker hadn’t even done anything wrong when this happened to him! He was sacked after a forced 18 month gap with no new Doctor Who series. He turned down a contract for one story only leading up to the regeneration.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>I was disgusted when the BBC chose to allow this change of format to a year of specials just to fit in with David Tennant’s plans!<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span></p>
    <p class=”p1″>Unfortunately, it didn’t stop there. The BBC also skipped some other years by having no new series in those years either. This includes the years 2016, 2019, and now 2022 as well!</p>
    <p class=”p1″>By now there should have been 17 series of “Nu Who”, but according to BBC iPlayer there have only been 13! They include the Specials as part of actual numbered series. This shows that what’s actually happened is that fans have been conned out of a new series in four separate years.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> The years are 2009, 2016, 2019, and 2022! They’re even planning the same for 2023!!</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″>The situation now is that after only about 3.5 hours of new Doctor Who episodes this year, instead of 11-12 hours, fans are being forced to wait for over a year for the next new episode! I think it will add up to being conned out of 5 years of new series over a period of 18 years. Everyone should be up in arms about this! It’s worse than anything Michael Grade did BG! At this point I’d like to point out that it was Peter Cregeen at the BBC who decided to have another break in Doctor Who BG, but then the break became indefinite and the series never returned until 2005. I think that Michael Grade is sick! He even made comments about Doctor Who having to compete with Star Wars, which was just a series of films, meaning that it was only made up of a few stories or episodes. I think that Star Wars is crap!  I eventually watched the first three Star Wars films to be released, but I’ve never bothered to watch them again. I have always watched and enjoyed Star Trek, but as you’ve guessed I prefer the series to the film versions.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>The situation is so serious that I think the soap “Eastenders” (which started during Michael Grade’s Doctor Who gap, possibly financed with Doctor Who money) should be cancelled immediately, then the BBC closed down, their assets seized, then used to produce lots more Doctor Who episodes.</p>
    So, in short, up with Doctor Who, down with the BBC!!!!

<p class=”p1″><span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span></p>

Rewvian @rewvian

Supposedly there will be 8 episodes of DW featuring David Tenant next year, beginning in May 2023.

They will also feature Doctors 4-9 in some capacity.

Great news if it’s true!  The Tenant special will likely make for a series-encompassing lead-in to the next Doctor’s run.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@rewvian it’s not a tv series it’s a 8 part multidoctor audio story series by Big Finish that’s been announced as part of this years DoctorWho day, as far as I can tell the 3-4 specials with 3 making up the 60th anniversary with Tennant and the Xmas/newyear introducing Ncuti in his first full episode is the official BBC tv offering

Rewvian @rewvian

@devilishrobby

My mistake!  Still, it’s cool that they can get so many former Doctors involved.

So 3 specials and then the fourth will be the new Doc.

DOCTOR WHO (2005) ENDS

The BBC have confirmed that the revived series of Doctor Who is ending. It actually finished in 2021, but not many people noticed due to ambiguous statements from the BBC. There are now just a few specials left to show in 2023. These will be followed by a Disney+ funded new series, expected to be only six episodes long, in line with their other series. No further series of Doctor Who are expected to be produced after that, the same as with other Disney+ series such as “Wandavision”, “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier”, “Loki”, “Hawkeye”, etc.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@translatorcircuit with all due respect what utter drivel. I sincerely doubt you are a true Who fan  all your comments seem to be negative and putting down the BBC and criticising the production values and the actors about things that are  often out of their control. You’re banging on that Who  has been cancelled by the BBC is blatantly untrue, my impression is that RTD has committed to being the front runner for at least season 14 and 15. Also the deal with Disney+ relates to the overseas steaming/distribution but in the UK and Ireland the BBC will be broadcasting the show. In this day and age it’s not unusual for broadcasting companies to join forces to produce  programs and the  overseas Disney+ distribution deal it is hoped will give the BBC funds to be able to hopefully give us longer series’s in the future. Your griping previously about the some of the lead actors having been allowed to end their runs as the Doctor with a series of specials is basically ludicrous, these actors have to commit to productions anything upto 2 or 3 years in advance so the shows producers will have been well aware of this and it would have been discussed in detail by both the actor and the Who production team before the actor takes on a new role.

@devilishrobby I can assure you that I AM a true Who fan! I’ve been watching Doctor Who since I was a little boy. Doctor Who is the only thing that remains in my life while other things keep changing, coming and going. My whole attitude is that Doctor Who must take priority for the actors playing The Doctor, as well as for the BBC. What this means is that whoever is the current actor playing The Doctor must be committed to playing The Doctor and give that role priority. Their contract should state this implicitly and they must stick to this or be regenerated with another actor playing them for the regeneration Sylvester McCoy style. If the BBC had actually discussed this with David Tennant in enough detail, then they should have known he was unreliable, then regenerated him in the Christmas Special “The Next Doctor”, leading to a new Doctor a year earlier than it actually happened. I don’t think Jodie Whittaker went off to play some other part, though. I think it was COVID-19 restrictions as well as a hate campaign against her which led to a six episode series, followed by three specials.

The production values I support are what I came to expect from Doctor Who as well as other series in the past. It’s a TV series, NOT a film, with lots of stories, instead of just a few stories. Michael Grade didn’t understand this! I don’t particularly care about special effects. Star Wars is crap! I care mainly about the stories being told. I think there should have been another (non animated) Star Trek series made in between Star Trek TOS and Star Trek: TNG, as they were planning, instead of the Star Trek films featuring the cast of Star Trek TOS. There were six of these, not counting “Star Trek: Generations”, so those stories could all have been told in about 12 episodes of about 50 minutes each. I admire the fan made productions of Star Trek, such as “Star Trek Continues” because these show just what small groups of dedicated people can do!

I would welcome a return to the Doctor Who production schedule of about 40-45 new episodes of about 25 minutes each per year, as with the first two Doctors in the 1960s. AFAIK there have always been some TV series with only about 6 episodes each year (e.g. “Only Fools and Horses”, “Porridge”, “Open All Hours”, and “Sink or Swim” which even starred Peter Davison managing to fit in the filming with Doctor Who!), but Doctor Who shouldn’t be one of them. I thought I’d seen details of co production credits on lots of “Nu Who” episodes, but at the moment I can’t find details of these, although I thought I remembered seeing CBC (i.e. Canada).  What I expect is a new series of Doctor Who each year without fail. Not only that, but each new series must have at least 13 episodes of at least 50 minutes each and there should be a Christmas or New Year special as well, because lots of or even most BBC series have these, so why shouldn’t Doctor Who?  I think the answer is because there are lots of people working for the BBC who hate Doctor Who and will do anything to undermine and kill it off again, which they’ve made a pretty good job of so far! Of course, I’d also like to see Eastenders cancelled immediately for siphoning off Doctor Who money when it started, as well as for having a decimated crossover for the Doctor Who 30th Anniversary instead of the amazing planned story “The Dark Dimension”, and being a graveyard for former Doctor Who actors. I eventually saw a fan animated version of “The Dark Dimension” on YouTube, which I thought was fantastic!

As for the Disney+ agreement, I don’t think that all the money they’re investing in Doctor Who comes without strings. How can a Doctor Who series of 13 episodes of about 50 minutes each fit in with all the series they’re streaming already? Will they just split the next Doctor Who series into two series released on Disney+ at different times of the year, or will they insist on annual series of 6 episodes only, otherwise they’ll withdraw their funding? I think they’ll do the latter.

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@translatorcircuit

You said “DOCTOR WHO (2005) ENDS
    The BBC have confirmed that the revived series of Doctor Who is ending.”

References please? Or I’m inclined to agree with Devilishrobby. I think you’re stating your opinion as if it were fact. And some of those opinions are debatable, to say the least.

@dentarthundert OK, here’s a revised version…

DOCTOR WHO (2005) ENDS

The BBC have confirmed in their usual ambiguous style (i.e. “having a rest”, “having a longer than usual wait”, etc) that the revived series of Doctor Who is ending. It nearly finished in 2021, but not many people noticed, due to deliberately confusing ambiguous statements from the BBC. There are now just a few specials left to show in 2023. These will be followed by a mainly Disney+ funded new series, expected to be only six episodes long, in line with their other series. No further series of Doctor Who are expected to be produced after that, the same as with other Disney+ series such as “Wandavision”, “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier”, “Loki”, “Hawkeye”, etc, as well as the BBC/Universal co produced Doctor Who TV movie in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cregeen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/doctor-who-bbc-and-disney-branded-television

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.