Dr Who News (5)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (5)

This topic contains 261 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  janetteB 4 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

I was trying to asses the costume and not the Doctor hence listing Capaldi’s amongst the fails. I always felt that they did not “nail” it and the stary jumper was up there with the question marks. (or should I say down there?) Capaldi is one of my absolute favourite Doctors though. Likewise I liked Whitaker’s costume but was not a massive fan of the stories. In the case of Peter Davison the costume definitely influenced my reaction to him as Doctor. I think I would rate his costume as worse than the misfire that was Colin Baker’s. There were no redeeming aspects to that era. We have just been watching some first series AG and I don’t like the costume though it does suit the more sombre character of “EcclesDoc”. It lacks the sense of playfulness that made SmithDoc’s costume so perfectly in tune with his character. Also SmithDoc’s costume harks back to BG costumes, not Pertwee’s thankfully, that gives the character a sense of history which I like.

Cheers

Janette

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

@janetteb It’s perfectly all right (but interesting) that we disagree!

In the case of Whittaker’s costume, it’s those braces! Braces (IMO) NEVER look good, whoever’s wearing them, instant dweeb. Plus the horizontal stripe across the midriff. And those slightly baggy trousers that end just below the knee, which is never a good place for trousers to end. (IMO of course). (See if this upload works:)

https://cdn.newsbook.com.mt/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Doctor-Who.jpg

Capaldi’s costume was uninspiring but I felt suited his age. In other words it didn’t do a lot for him (but he didn’t need it to) and it didn’t take away anything either. His slight weirdness came from his acting and his slightly alien viewpoint, a quirky costume would have been over-egging it. (IMO!)

Peter Davison was pure 100% cricket umpire. Maybe he was under the influence of the Tardis chameleon circuit. I think it’s a perfectly good costume, whether it ‘works’ depends entirely on whether it matches his character (and I haven’t seen enough of his series to judge that).

Jon Pertwee’s costume, I thought suited his personality fine. Along with his magnificent mop of white hair. A Victorian (?) dandy with just a touch of the Draculas.

@winston Swap the jeans for shorts and let the ‘appropriate’ footwear frequently include bare feet and I think we would be very similar. In fact if I lived in your climate we would probably be similarer. (Is that a word? It is now.) When I was working I had to wear a shirt and trousers to the office (and, of course, shoes) but I managed never to wear a tie. So I think our non-credentials as fashion critics match.

Cheers, cr

winston @winston

@janetteb When I first saw the 9th Doctors costume I was a little disappointed but it soon matched his character , both he and his coat were a little rough around the edges. Then years later when we met the War Doctor and saw him regenerate into the 9th his clothes made perfect sense. I mean if you went to war dressed like the 5th Doc the Daleks would spot you immediately!

@dentarthurdent  My kids tease me about always telling them to wear “appropriate footwear” but sneakers should not be worn in a Canadian winter and flip flops are no good for hiking and rain boots are for when it rains! Crocs are OK for gardening and high heels are torture devices.

It is shorts weather now but the biters are out and I am allergic to black fly bites so I cover up and chase the shade while I garden. Soon the mosquitos will be thick and the dreaded bug repellent will be my best friend. Ahh summer in Ontario.

stay cool

janetteB @janetteb

@winston I it is cold and dreary here. I am looking out at the garden which is in need of pruning and weeding and trying to muster the energy to get out there and overcome my aversion to the cold and damp. So I am envying you the warm weather but not the mosquitos. Those I think anyone can do without.

I like the Guardian fantasy house hunt and last night I spotted a familiar abode. It’s “Scooby Doo’s House”, Wester Drumlins. (I always thought the name was West Drumlins.) It has been refurbished since 2007 when Blink was filmed there. Interesting house.

cheers

Janette

@winston @janetteb   Pretty cold and dreary here too.   The weather has stayed quite warm (notwithstanding the occasional record rainstorm and flooding) up until a couple of weeks ago, when it suddenly fell off its perch so to speak.   So now we’re into winter.   It managed to be quite pleasant for a couple of hours this afternoon, I went for a walk round the block and the ground was warm enough for bare feet though the grass was all pretty soggy, but this only lasts for a few hours in the afternoon until the sun starts to go down.   And of course mosquitos if you stand still too long in the shade.   Watched Time Heist the other night, next ep is The Caretaker which is not one of the greatest.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@winston Yes, the warm weather has arrived over here on the west coast as well. We are promised (or is it threatened?) temperatures in the high 20s for the next few days. As a result, Mrs Blenkinsop has been excavating the darkest recesses of the wardrobe for her summer clothes.

And talking of clothes, recent photos of the new Doctor and companion filming historical episodes show them both in period costumes, be it 1960s London or Regency England. I am starting to wonder if there will be a dedicated Doctor (and companion) outfit at all, or if they will dress for the occasion, as it were.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave I had not seen the Regency pics so went hunting at once. Nice costumes. I do like it when the Doctor and Companion dress for the period. I’m guessing that when not going to period times the Doctor will have a iconic outfit, or how could fans cosplay him?

Only six months now, (roughly) to wait for the 60th Special.

@dentarthurdent Looking forward to reading your reviews.. We re watched The Caretaker quite recently. As you say not one of the best but it has some nice moments.

Cheers

Janette

New Trailer for the three 60th specials

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

So the 60th specials look to be like a 3 episode series with stories that may or may not be connected.

@devilishrobby Well, my theory (which I first broached upstream somewhere) is that they are all connected by Donna–and finding a way to give her back her memories. I may be wrong, but for the moment I’m sticking to it!

@blenkinsopthebrave That may be, but I think that may end up being a byproduct of the story. The obvious thing for the 3 episodes is who or what is behind or caused the Doctor to regenerate with 10’s face. Though we may find out because of who the doctor is  it’s not necessarily unusual for him/her to recycle a previous face it’s just that up until this last regeneration cycle that the Doctor has forgotten that he/her has had a face previously due to having his/her memory wiped. Though I’m still betting there will either be a cause or being behind this regeneration repeat. The only thing now is that I’m not so sure that the Celestial Toymaker is the one as it’s now being hinted he’s only the focus of the second episode with meep the beep being episode 1. I’m scratching my head about episode/part 3 and the giggles hint as to who this may be hinting at, as a long time fan/watcher of the show I can’t remember a big bad who’s trademark was giggling.
    If the 3 specials are to be separate stories but with an underlying thread I don’t know why they are going to be broadcast so close together though the exact timing of when the episodes are to be broadcast hasn’t  been announced to my knowledge. They could have been screened much like Tenants final 3 specials with one at Easter  one midsummer and the final one on the anniversary, so I suspect the underlying thread may be more important than the individual episodes and RTD doesn’t want to give us too much time to speculate for some reason.

@blenkinsopthebrave The ‘new’ Doctor of which you speak, in connection with Regency clothes, is that Ten(nant) (or should that be 14? Or 10(c)? All highly confusing), or Ncuti Gatwa who I suppose is 15. Probably. Or 14 if Ten(nant) Mk III doesn’t get a new number. I give up.
    OK, according to the Beeb, Tennant is 14, Gatwa is 15. OK.
    Quite like Gatwa’s clothes in general (though the blue pinstripe is totally Miami Vice gangsta, he just needs to be holding a MAC-10 to complete the picture).

And – in the specials – I like Tennant’s young companion, she looks quite intelligent.

Hey, I’m actually looking forward to new episodes again.

@devilishrobby I would assume the three specials would have to be broadcast fairly close together since they’re already shooting the following series. But I’m speculating from a position of substantial ignorance (which never stopped anybody yet…)

@janetteb Thankyou for kindly calling them ‘reviews’, I’d say more like ‘random impressions’. But anyway I’ve just posted my impressions in the Time Heist thread.

janetteB @janetteb

@dentarthurdent. I am getting a bit excited about the anniversary specials too. We recently re-watched a few RTD episodes just as a reminder of his show runner/writing style. Also I watched Years and Years which is basically a non sci fi 6 episode version of Turn Left. I did have a sneak look at the trailers and they however somewhat dampened that  enthusiasm but trailers nearly always tend to do that.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

I was wondering if the extension of the Hollywood writer’s strike would impact Dr Who now that it is a Disney production and it seems it will at least according to this Guardian article. That is one of the costs of the new partnership I guess. I hope the strike achieves its aims and am 100% behind the strikers, even if it means waiting longer to watch some favourite shows.

In other Dr Who related news the Guardian are doing a question and answer with Mark Gatiss. I was going to post a question, asking if he is going to write another scrip but someone beat me to it. I hope the question gets selected.

Cheers

Janette

TranslatorCircuit @translatorcircuit

The Guardian article just says “Doctor Who, which is now being produced in partnership with the streaming service Disney+, is also likely to be affected by strike action”. AFAIK Disney+ is only giving lots of money to the production company Bad Wolf. I think this means it won’t be affected. The good news is that because of this strike by writers and actors in the USA we should be seeing lots of TV series and films produced by other countries apart from the USA! I hope to see some amazing new German Sci Fi series as a result of this. You’ll be able to see them wherever you live in the World by subscribing to the recording and streaming service youtv.de or by buying an Amazon Fire stick, getting a VPN, then setting up an account on Amazon Germany and downloading all the German TV apps from there. You just use the same techniques as in the video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLhEYUBuN9g where a  man in Canada downloads apps from the USA and the UK.

Of course, the BBC has already done lots of damage to Doctor Who in the past, by cutting the number of episodes produced per year from about 40-45 in the 1960s, down to 25 for the beginning of the Third Doctor’s Era in 1970, then up to 26 later in that era in 1972. The number of episodes produced each year remained fairly stable at about 23-26 each year, apart from the strike in 1979, which was obviously caused by Mrs Thatcher becoming Prime Minister. This led to the cancellation of the amazing six part story “Shada”, cutting that series down from 26 episodes to just 20. New Producer John Nathan-Turner could easily have completed this story the following year, when he took charge after years of working on the series, but he obviously just didn’t care. The BBC made lots of money from this later on by releasing it first of all as a VHS video with a book of the original script.  Following this, the production schedule for Doctor Who was decimated in the Seventh Doctor’s Era, when they cut the number of episodes produced down to 14 for his final series. Just the sales of Doctor Who merchandise was enough to finance the series, but the BBC stole this money and used it to produce crap like “Eastenders”! There are also series much better than “Eastenders” such as “Casualty” and “Holby City” which have been showing a new 50 minute episode almost every week of the year, so Doctor Who could have had the same treatment. Of course, “Warriors of The Deep” was a fantastic story which wiped the floor with Star Wars, without spending lots of money on special effects.

After the amazing success of the modern series of Doctor Who, the BBC couldn’t wait to limit the production to just specials for some years, with no new series at all. The main problem with Doctor Who is the BBC not giving it enough priority!

janetteB @janetteb

@translatorcircuit Speaking of German productions, I doubt though that there is any hope of a life buoy being thrown to 1899. I was very very disappointment when Netflix cancelled it. I have not watched it yet but I loved Dark and was really looking forward to 1899. Perhaps the makers will be funded for a new series by someone else.

While it would be nice to see other countries benefit from the Hollywood strike at the same time these major streaming sites are screwing everyone world over and I would not be happy to see them bypass U.S. workers/actors only to exploit creative people in other countries in the same way. I think this strike will have ramifications for the industry world wide. Fingers crossed that will be for the better.

We have several versions of Shada one voiced by Tom Baker which is rather lovely, even if it relies upon stills for the missing scenes. It was a good story, written by Douglas Adams and a great shame that it was never finished.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb I’m not talking about any productions by NETFLIX in German, I’m talking about productions by any of various German TV channels, and/or by other TV channels based in the EU. You’ve probably never herd of these TV channels, because you’ve been brainwashed! Most of them have “Mediatheken”, meaning streaming services similar to BBC iPlayer. Some of these channels are ARD, ZDF, SAT.1, RTL, and Pro7. There are other channels which only or mainly show series which are at least a few years old, usually older,  so they won’t be affected by this strike, at least not for years. These channels include SAT.1 GOLD, Kabel 1, RTL Up, and Tele5.

German channel ZDF  got off to a good start in 1966 with the series “<i>Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion” </i>which translates as “Space Patrol – The Fantastic Adventures of the Spaceship Orion”, but this only had seven episodes. It was a bit like Star Trek TOS. Years later there were some German co productions, such as Star Maidens (1976), and Lexx: The Dark Zone (1997).

During my research in recent years, I’ve found “Missie Aarde” (“Mission Earth”, NL) a sci fi comedy about a search for a new planet that the surviving humans can move to, after the whole World apart from the Netherlands has been submerged, and before long even the Netherlands will suffer the same fate! I’ve also found “IT-Planeet” an Estonian sci fi comedy series about some aliens who land in Estonia. Unfortunately, their information about Estonia which seems to be from Earth TV signals that have reached deep space is out of date, because they think it’s still in the USSR. I think a probe needs to be sent into deep space immediately to try and capture the original broadcasts of missing Doctor Who episodes from the 1960s. A mad inventor who they greet in Russian and by playing the USSR anthem soon tells them otherwise, then they immediately switch their translators to Estonian. This series is almost all in Estonian with some English when the aliens go to meet an African conman. Estonian isn’t an Indo European language and I can’t speak it, but I somehow managed to work out almost everything that was going on!

I hope to see lots more European sci fi productions, NOT productions in Europe by US companies, in the very near future!

@translatorcircuit  I seem to remember watching a series called  Star Maidens in the late 70’s or early 80’s, if I remember right it was a Gerry Anderson co-production of some description. I also remember watching the Lexx series it was broadcast in the uk on an early version of skys  sci-fi channel I also remember it was almost soft porographic and had a Barbarella type vibe.

@devilishrobby Star Maidens wasn’t a Gerry Anderson co production! Gerry Anderson was never mentioned. As anyone can look up in a few seconds it was produced by Portman Productions for ITV and partly financed by the organisation Werbung in Rundfunk, using revenue from the limited TV commercials (before 20:00) on the German channel ZDF.  There were some German actors in it as well, including Christiane Krüger, who also appeared in several episodes of the German detective series Derrick, which used to be shown on ITV. As for Lexx, I can’t remember which channels it was ever shown on in the UK. Wikipedia only says that season 3 debuted on the Sci Fi Channel UK. This wasn’t owned by Sky, but was part of their package. Part of the story of Lexx was that a woman called Zev was supposed to be transformed into a “Love Slave” which involved both physical and mental transformations. She went through a machine and her whole body was turned into Eva Habermann, who is one of my ideal women. Before this she appeared amongst other things in the series Küstenwache (coastguard) as well as the medical series Klinik unter Palmen and OP Ruft Dr. Brückner. She put a robot head into the part of the machine that was supposed to reprogram her mind making her desperate for sex all the time, then the robot head got this programming instead and kept telling Zev that he loved her. Fellow crew member Stanley was also in love with Zev, but she didn’t care about him. There was also Kai, who was undead and was killed thousands of years before Zev and Stanley were born. Zev is sort of in love with Kai, but he doesn’t really care about her, or has no emotions.  I don’t know what all of this has to do with Barbarella.

I seem to have been gone a while. But I am back with news.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-series-1-4-blu-ray-newsupdate/

Following the David Tennant specials, it looks like the Ncuti Gatwa season starts in Spring

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20230822-new-episodes-of-the-bbcs-doctor-who-will-be-streaming-globally-from-november

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave. Thank you for sharing that news. I note they used the words, “Christmas Special” and that makes me very happy indeed.

In a overview of tv series coming this “autumn” to the UK in the Guardian the other day it was said that RTD is saving Dr Who for a second time. I hope those words prove true.

Cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  Thanks for the news! Like @janetteb I look forward to a Christmas special and the return of RTD.

stay safe

nuwhovianjean @nuwhovianjean

I am looking for a streaming service where I can re-watch series 1-13 of nuwho, but every where I have been told had them does not.  can anyone point me in the right direction.  I have tried Disney+, Pluto, Britbox and Roku.

@nuwhovianjean  In the uk I think your best bet would be the BBC iPlayer, it was also on Netflix but was taken off when Disney+ announced its partnership and I think outside of the uk Disney+ will have the contractual rights to screening past series’s

@nuwhovianjean I assume you’re outside the UK, otherwise you’d be using BBC iPlayer for this. I’ve just had a quick look round on bbc.co.uk/iplayer so I can confirm that the episodes from Series 1 and Series 13 are still there and marked that they will continue to be available for “over a year”. All other series are listed there and Series 8 also says the episodes are available for “over a year”. The BBC has been making as much money as possible out of Doctor Who from merchandise, as well as BD and DVD sales  while refusing to make a new series with a reasonable number of episodes (i.e. AT LEAST THIRTEEN) in various years since the series returned in 2005. Now they’re trying to make people round the World subscribe to Disney+ to watch it, making them even more money!! I can give you the following advice about watching BBC iPlayer from outside the UK.

1. Use a good VPN, such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN, and watch on your computer, preferably while connected to a large TV or monitor using a compatible cable, or Bluetooth if that works on your TV. You need to look up a UK Post Code and input that while setting up a BBC account, though.

2. Use a VPN and watch on an Amazon Fire TV stick or another Amazon Fire TV device. This feels like using a TV instead of a computer. You need to use a good VPN as mentioned above. Set up an account on amazon.co.uk so you can use their appstore, download the BBC iPlayer app, then set up an account on there with a UK Post Code. For more details about this, please watch the video on how to do this from Canada on https://youtu.be/CLhEYUBuN9g I can also confirm that this same method works from the UK for watching lots of individual or groups of TV channels and paid subscription packages of lots of channels from various other countries in Europe, but you still have to pay the subscriptions. You can also install an app called Aptoide Appstore which is an independent Android appstore with apps not restricted by country, because Google Play store is now blocked on all Amazon devices.

3. Use a VPN and watch on an Android TV box. This is similar to using an Amazon Fire TV stick, but I haven’t used one myself.

Please only watch Doctor Who and Red Dwarf on BBC iPlayer! This is because the UK is now an isolationist state, ruled by corrupt politicians, bankers, and tax dodgers. Watching other BBC programmes made after 2019 (i.e. Eastenders) would give you a false impression that everything’s OK in the UK and you might even want to visit.

Unfortunately, the rest of Europe is seriously lacking in Sci Fi TV series. However, I can recommend “Missie Aarde” by NPO (Netherlands) which is a Sci Fi comedy (clips on https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBvGnghCtxJHavyamDqdcL2_ltG75OPb4 you can watch it on the streaming service NLZIET with a free trial) , as well as “IT Planeet” (TV3 Estonia) https://play.tv3.ee/series/it-planeet,serial-2574321 . I don’t speak Estonian, which isn’t an Indo-Euopean language, but I managed to work out what was going on. This series features some aliens who land in Estonia, accompanied by Laika the Cosmonaut dog from Sputnik 2, thinking it’s still in the USSR, but the mad scientist they meet soon brings them up to date. The series is mainly in Estonian, with some of the aliens’ language subtitled in Estonian, as well as a bit of English when they go to meet a con man who sent them an email from Nigeria or Ghana.

Should we prepare for colourful language on Who?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/miriam-margolyes-doctor-who

Has anything been said about the actual air dates for the aniversary specials. Just saying so I can book my shifts accordingly is it going to be over a 3 day weekend or is it going to be over 3 weekends the Beeb seem to be remarkably silent about when they are actually going to be shown.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave     Oooooh! Lovely. I absolutely adore that women.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave. Good news indeed. She is always great value.

@devilshrobby There is still very little news coming out and like I am getting impatient. I believe the third of the specials will be broadcast over Christmas, though the actual date is unspecified. I am hoping it will be Christmas Day in a return to “tradition”. I guess things are a little uncertain now too due to the strike but I don’t know if that will effect the specials.

cheers

Janette

@janetteb I don’t think the American writers’ and actors’ strikes will affect these specials at all, for the following two reasons.

1. Filming of these specials must have finished ages ago! They’ve had enough time to make two whole series by now!!

2. Doctor Who isn’t a US production. They’re just getting funding from Disney+.

Here’s some more details about the production of future Doctor Who episodes, dated October 25, 2022. Read what it says under the pic of Ncuti Gatwa.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/bbc-and-disney-branded-television-join-forces-on-doctor-who

As for the scripts lined up for Ncuti Gatwa, based on a clip of him as well as some rumours of a reboot, I think they will be as follows.

The Doctor suddenly develops amnesia. This means he can’t remember who he is or where he’s from, but he remembers how to fly the TARDIS. Later on, he might find some clues to his identity in the TARDIS, such as a 500 Year Diary, or the TARDIS telepathic circuits. No stories featuring the Daleks, the Cybermen, or the Master will be made for some time. The Doctor will be travelling through space and time as if it’s all new to him! Eventually, he will meet the Daleks, the Cybermen, or the Master, or two or all three of them, because it would be very strange if he kept travelling but never happened to meet them. When he meets them, he won’t remember ever meeting them before, though.

janetteB @janetteb

@translatercircuit According to an article in the Guardian recently the next series of Dr Who is going to be impacted by the writers strike, presumably due to the Disney connection. I guess that the specials will not be impacted.

. Cheers

Janette

@janneteb sorry this reply is a bit late from what I understand the 3 anniversary specials are to be broadcast together, however they do the 60th with Tennant changing to Ncuti at the end of the 3rd part, with Ncuti’s first full episode being the Dr who Xmas special. Then his first full season to be aired after that. As to the writers strike my understanding is that series 14 was pretty much all written and they were even  working on series 15 before the strike began. In fact large parts of Series 14 was already in the can from what I understand. Now a lot of this has come via Dr Who You-Tube blogger Tharris who in the past has been quite reliable in his reporting of Who news and some from the Beeb.

Another glimpse of what’s to come

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-jinkx-monsoon-new-photo-newsupdate/

Albeit, coming at an agonizingly slow pace.

Hmmm now this may sound a bit mad but they’re not setting her up as the next master/Missy are they??????

nerys @nerys

@nuwhovianjean I’m not sure where you live, but in the United States, HBO Max carries past seasons of Doctor Who. In Canada, we were able to watch it on Crave, but it was removed earlier this year. (Oddly enough, I just checked, and it looks like one episode from Season 3 got left behind. Guess I can still watch that lone straggler.)

I will have to figure out what I want to do about the upcoming specials and the new season, whenever it airs (since it sounds like the new season will be impacted by the writers’ strike). I don’t want to subscribe to Disney+. It would mean adding another streaming service to an already expensive monthly bill.

@nuwhovianjean I hope you’ll take my advice earlier on in this topic about how to watch Doctor Who on BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, just by using a VPN and looking up a residential address, then inputting at least the Post Code. The BBC website has no news for Doctor Who dated after 2021. I demand a new series of Doctor Who with 26 episodes of 50 minutes each immediately! Down with BBC News, Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing, etc, etc! I’ve recently been seeing banner advertising for something with a BBC logo called “Henpocalypse” on my Amazon Fire TV stick, depending on what my VPN settings are at the time, so down with “Henpocalypse” as well! BTW, it’s sometimes possible to watch various episodes of Doctor Who in German (sometimes on One, Germany), French (sometimes on France4), and sometimes even in other languages, which makes it even more educational! I must advise everyone against watching Doctor Who on Fox Germany, because this channel is owned by Rupert Murdoch! Keep checking the links below to find out when any more episodes will be shown there.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/serie/Y3JpZDovL3dkci5kZS9vbmUvZG9jdG9yIHdobw

https://www.france.tv/recherche/

New trailer. And it looks good.

The bbc dr who website confirms that all 3 60th episodes will be shown in November and Ncuti’s first full episode is going to be a special screened over the festive period ( hopefully that will mean  Xmasday)

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  That was so good! I am getting excited for November ,which is a new thing for an Ontarian. The Doctor and the Doctor Donna together again, a really cute alien plus explosions everywhere, I can’t wait. Thanks.

stay safe

@winston lol cute alien you obviously never saw the Dr Who magazine comic strip story Meep the Bleek comes from.I’m not going to potentially spoilerise the special but let’s just say all is not as it may appear if they are following the Star Beast story line.

Murray Gold returns to Who with new musical themes

janetteB @janetteb

Thank you for the news @blenkinsopthebrave. I have mixed feelings about this one. While I loved Murray Gold’s music I also really liked the music composed by Segun Akinola. His adaptation of the theme is one of my favourites and I am sorry that he is no longer composing for Dr Who.

Cheers

Janette

Yes, @janetteb, his scoring was probably one of the best parts of the Chibnall years, but watching the new trailers, it becomes clear that the tone of Akinola’s music just would not fit RTD’s frentic vision.  So, to that extent, the return to Murray Gold makes perfect sense.

P.S. The referendum outcome seemed sadly predictable.

janetteB @janetteb

@dentarthurdent. Yes. It was especially with all the nonsense being churned out by the no camp. It does not restore one’s faith in humanity.

Re the music that is a good point. Murray Gold’s music suits the nature of RTD’s writing.  Neither tends towards the subtle.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb I read your reply to my comment on Akinola and the referendum. Alas, my identity has apparently disappeared and been transfigured ( is it in a timey wimey sort of way…?)

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave. I am sorry. Was posting late last night. Dangers of posting while very tired. You both have long names and my half asleep brain scrambled things.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb  @blenkinsopthebrave   That explains things.   I was a bit puzzled how to respond for a while.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone’s done that.   I’ve done it, and much worse.   🙂

I promise I’m not blenkinsopthebrave    🙂

Sorry, but I don’t think anything much of Murray Gold’s music!

What I really want is some special electronic music, as produced for the BG/Classsic series of Doctor Who!!

I’ll never forget these amazing BBC Radiophonics Department themes, which were sometimes reused in different stories as variations on a theme, being revamped from one story to another. I really loved the incidental music from the Fifth Doctor’s Era (Peter Davison) story “Arc of Infinity”, for example!

The BBC Radiophonics Department has been closed down. I wonder why? However, why can’t there be a special group doing this music now? Why should it be left to the BBC Wales Orchestra?

I think the answer is just to save money!!

How can anyone say that Doctor Who is better without this kind of dramatic, electronic music which is different for each story?! I think the answer is if they’re a BBC Accountant!!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.