General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig Also, the new Oxygene album (3) is sh*t hot…

Time to go all in…

@whisht

And then there’s this:

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – haven’t heard that version (original?) of Torn before, thanks, its rather great!
    I’d not heard of David Armand before (my shame) and laughed my arse off at his interpretation of Torn.
    I’m not sure if I’ve found what you were looking for, but I did find a version of him with Natalie doing it (as it were).
    Not sure I could love her more but….. yep. Now I do.

And then Bush – I’ve not seen that before and she is truly…. unique. To say ‘bonkers’ (despite here of all places) just doesn’t seem fair. Brilliant.
    And then Catfish and the Bottlemen (new to me) – Its been soooooo long since I was that close at a gig!!
    ;¬)

@craig – Toxygene – not heard that before! I do like the Orb…. there’s always a spirit of fun or at least positivity (if that ain’t too tree huggy). I like dark, but you gotta temper it with something affirming!

So, Oxygen. Like Craig I’ll sidestep Oxygene unless some else fancies it (even a cover).

In fact I went through my library and came up with only some horrible stuff, so here’s something by a group I rarely listen to and I’d never imagine posting here, yet I seem to have mentioned them loads over last couple of weeks!

Can’t find any good (or even terrible) Bowie links but hah – that won’t stop me (I’ll watch again tonight with a Bowie filter on!).
    (and yes, the ‘oxy’gene genie is too far a stretch).
    So far all I have is Blackout [“Getting some skin exposure to the blackout (get some protection)”]

@whisht

Yes! That’s it! @Thane15 – check Whisht’s link and follow it for awesome Ms Imbruglia. It is very funny.

Absolute Radio has been playing the Catfish song for a while now. It is screaming to be turned into a football chant:

“Tottenham are over-rated

There never gonna win the league”.

Anonymous @

@whisht @pedant

Thank you for that link Whisht! It was every bit as awesome as!! Hadn’t heard of that guy, neither had mum.

@cathannabel I think  you were talking about the Bowie references too? I was thinking of Tin Man 2 during Oxygen but then there’s always the Beatles Across the Universe. I think a lot of music might fit these episodes. Although what with the Doctor losing his eyes, and Bowie’s last song/album that was pretty weird too!

Without his eyes can the Doctor travel to the Nethersphere or the Netherworld? He’s been to Hell already and he’s been Heaven Sent so where else can he go??

On Tottenham, pedant, I might have to agree….

Thane.

Frobisher @frobisher

Oxygen / Bowie?
    Ground Control to Major Tom
    Your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?
    Can you “Here am I floating ’round my tin can
    Far above the moon
    Planet Earth is blue
    And there’s nothing I can do”

Whisht @whisht

So, Bowie references…

According to the Doctor Who Fan show (though I may be liberally misremembering this), Jamie Mathieson had originally written the episode as the crew racing between different parts of a much larger conglomeration of spaceships.
    Yes – Station to Station.

{ahem}

But perhaps lyrics from this one from the great man resonate:
    We are the Dead

[I know – I should give up but hell, we did colours one year and this time they’re sticking album covers in the episode!! 🙂 ]

Frobisher @frobisher

I like pushing the Bowie envelope a bit, so:

Knock Knock + Oxygen = Sound and Vision?

And;

The Pilot was searching for… The Passenger (by Iggy Pop, but featuring the musical talents of our boy Dave).

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

@thane15 @frobisher @whisht et al, loving the more, shall we say, tangential Bowie refs!  I had the lyrics of Space Oddity bouncing around in my head whilst watching Oxygen – floating round the tin can, and then ‘Helmets on’ which is actually in the script although whether that qualifies as a quote being so brief and functional I don’t know.

@whisht

Original already linked upthread, but here are two version I didn’t know existed until 10 mins ago. The song is 50 years old today:

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @whisht Just in case you missed it – there was a great little 30min documentary on Waterloo Sunset on Radio 4 this morning – well worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q6181

To everyone else, I think you can listen to BBC Radio from anywhere in the world – it’s only TV that’s restricted.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @craig @pedant – yep missed the doc so will give it a listen, cheers!

Prompted by Pedant’s post I googled around and started writing a response about listening to various covers but its coming out nonsensical !

Now, that wouldn’t usually stop me but instead I’m going to add a couple of covers I never knew about until now (you’ve both probably heard these if you’ve just done the same as me!)

The Jam did a version as did Def Leppard*.
    Their version is (like the Jam’s) really ‘respectful’ vocally, though with their’s there is a little bit of stretching the song with their own musical take ie the beefy guitars in Leppard’s case.

* yes, linking to Def Leppard is a first for me!

Whisht @whisht

So, its “election time” again in the UK (lucky us).

Manifestos have been launched.
    Teresa May just dropped hers and said “there’s no May-ism” which is fine, as I’m not sure its exactly ‘Mayfair’.

{ahem}

Anyhoo…. this is old, but I only heard it first a couple of years ago.
    For me this gives rapping a good name – if you’re into lyrics and stuff here’s a link.

Whisht @whisht

… and this little ditty is a single stone (or wrench) that kills two birds*

Blind – Talking Heads.

*no birds were harmed in the writing of this post

Since I mention it en passant in the Oxygen thread, have one of the great songs of the 80s

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@frobisher

I like pushing the Bowie envelope a bit, so:

It was ‘The Passenger’ that sent us on the Bowie frenzy, believe it or not. The version I posted can be found here (easy to miss as the music thread can take some time to load)

+ @cathannabel & @whisht

I was really surprised noone selected this. The enemy in space – lower pressure. The time when you see the Universe’s true face? When they are Under Pressure.

‘Walk away from it all like a blind man’

wolfweed @wolfweed

Whisht @whisht

ah, that’s true @phaseshift nice call!

As I’m assuming the Sonic sunglasses will be making a reappearance I thought I’d post this.
    Now I’m sure that it was linked before (maybe before Capaldi) but I just can’t find by whom.

Anyway, the initial lyrics fit Bill better than I’d realised:

I study nuclear science
    I love my classes
    I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
    Things are going great, and they’re only getting better
    I’m doing all right, getting good grades
    The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades

wolfweed @wolfweed

Pan Pipe Pandemic…

Frobisher @frobisher

@phaseshift

Ah! I hadn’t seen your reference to The Passenger. What a song though!

And yes, Under Pressure! A great choice with that line (as well as the title, of course!).

🙂

Whisht @whisht

ah @phaseshift – yes, Under Pressure!

I just mentioned “walking in my shoes” for a not-as-bonkers-a-theory as may have been intended (or maybe I’m losing what little sanity I had) and this popped into my head.

(now to listen to those other tracks!)

Whisht @whisht

Lots of talk about Aesop’s fables, (missy)trust of the deadly etc and made me think of this.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

In memory of Roger Moore who died today. This is from the first Bond film I think I ever saw in the cinema. And I think it’s one of the best Bond films. But being Scottish I still have to say that Connery was better – but maybe only just. 🙂

Moore was the up there with Connery. And this song was Oscar nominated.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Was reminded of this today by my friend Mark, just came up in conversation. It is almost a nonsense song but I think it’s a classic. And after all the anti-Muslim hate I’ve seen on my Twitter timeline (I follow people I completely disagree with, as well as people I do, to avoid the echo chamber effect) it reminded me of compassion and understanding – in a bonkers way, which is right for this site. Love each other.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Looking back over the songs I don’t know how I missed Kamelot…..man, what memories. What voices.

@craig

lovely piece: needed and noted.

@whisht you really are a Cave fan. I used to be….lost the vinyls in a Brisbane flood. 🙂 So, I need to slowly check ’round youtube for more tasty morsels….

Puro

Anonymous @

@whisht @pedant

It’s Friday arvo! Yeah! Now, this morning I was listening to an interview with Morrissey? Thx for all those songs Whisht -but I think the dood’s a bit weird?

On a Johnathan Ross interview he said that “TV in America was for kids” and when Ross said: “what about the west wing and….” Morrissey said; “you’ve made my point for me”. Also, he’s all for Brexit – no surprise, so now I’ve stopped listening to him -except for anything Johnny Marr does that’s old Smith’s songs.

Whoa. So much to learn about that music. People really love Morrissey: on youtube it’s “he’s a god. He’s better than David Bowie. He’s so kind and gentle.” Huh? I think he’s pretty arrogant but then maybe lots of rock stars are?

But usually when they’re young not when they’re in their 40s and 50s?

Still, thank you for all the links gentlemen! I’m onto Kamelot now.

From, Thane.

Whisht @whisht

oh wow – I missed a few songs!
    @wolfweed – not heard that They Might Be Giants song before! hm, may revisit some of their stuff as its been years.
    And you’ve made me listen to Enigma which… is rare.

@pedant @craig – yes, Roger Moore – that was a terrific story pedant, he truly understood what his charm was and what it was best for.
    And always did love that particular song – the title sequence is…. mesmerising 😉
    and Camper Van Beethoven – fantastic!

@Thane15 – yes, well now you know why pedant reacted as he did. Morrissey did have that kinda effect on people at the time (surprised it still does though). But yes, he’s a berk.
    Best to ignore him and just listen to the music (if that’s possible). But you’ve got there using your own judgement so all is good!

;¬)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Thane15 and @whisht @pedant

I saw this just the other day on Twitter. 🙂

@whisht @thane15 @craig

The preening narcissist Morrissey can fuck right off. This is what Manchester is about:

Nick @nick

@whisht @thane15 @craig @pedant

I preferred this sentiment personally. IMO the poem by Tony Walsh was the most moving part of the first vigil/memorial (watched it live) at (Prince) Albert Square, even I wasn\t convinced that it was entirely appropriate in that setting.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/may/25/tony-walsh-poem-vigil-manchester-bombing

Choose Love.

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

@pedant @craig @thane15.  Nice article re Mozzer in the New Statesman:

The records still sound marvellous, of course. Art does not wither. The man sounds less and less marvellous with each passing day. The old pun on a Smiths song title now seems closer to home and closer to the bone than ever: that bloke isn’t funny anymore.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2017/05/years-have-proved-only-thing-morrissey-understood-was-himself

@nick

Yep, saw that earlier. I thought it very affecting, even if the presentation was a little bit Tame Craig Charles.

@cathannabel @craig @thane15 @whisht

I was with them all the way up to “the songs still sound marvellous”. The emperor never had any clothes, he just hid his self-pity behind Johnny Marrs’s fig leaf.

Ugh. I feel the need for something silly and over the top. Paging Miss Lee, paging Miss Lee…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Someone will post this. Might as well be me…..

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Love it, you did get there before me.

There was a “Right here, right now” which might be a reference or might just be nothing. Evolution and all that.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Also there’s a ‘Highlander’ episode called ‘One minute to Midnight’…

Nick @nick

@wolfweed @craig

I doubt either of you have heard this since virtually no French pop crosses the channel (although you never know):

La fin de la fin du monde

Whisht @whisht

ah – @nick haven’t heard any French pop since leaving work where a few of the team are French. And you’re right, it doesn’t travel across much (there’s a particular aesthetic I find to a lot of what I heard).

I’ve actually got loads of songs popping up on my iTunes when looking for music for these episodes (Extremis and Pyramids…). So I’ll dole it out over the week!

;¬)

I guess the obligatory Bowie reference has to be this one (though there may be others):

Whisht @whisht

Now I’m sure I posted this before, but can’t find it and so maybe I didn’t…

Anyway, Doomsday Clock features heavily so its rather obvious.

Anonymous @

Well, it was episode number Seven. 🙂

I forgot what my brother said, I forgot what he said….

On a bridge of violent people, I was small enough to cry…..

The gods forgot they made me;

So I forget them too.

I listen to the shadows;

and play amongst their graves….

Anonymous @

and…..yes, 7 days between episodes. 🙂

“Bring it”

Anonymous @

@whisht -it’s not bad – ‘Seven’  -is it? The base is tight and complex with hints of contrapuntal support from acoustic and k’boards depending on whether live/recorded.

I like to think of the Doctor as Shadow Man myself 🙂

Anonymous @

From Thane here . I like Shadow Man a lot but I really also love this much later version with his older, mature voice? To me it sums up the Doctor and what he’s always needed: a companion, someone to show the stars to?  Someone who’s never seen them before but before long finds that sorrow accompanies any trip with the Doctor. As Bill has just found out…

Take a turn and see his smile; Made of nothing but loneliness.

Just take a walk and be a friend to the shadow man…..you can call him Joe, or you can call him Sam…

Look in his eyes and see your reflection. Look to the stars and see his eyes.

He’ll show you tomorrow, he’ll show you the sorrows; of what you did today…

From Thane.

Whisht @whisht

hey @thane15 – I’ve not heard that Bowie track before (Shadow Man) but think I agree with you Thane in preferring the later version.

Love the fact that you’re getting so much from the lyrics!
    Though its no surprise, as you’ve demonstrated with all the reading, analysis and writing!

Great stuff!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Not very episode-specific but I like this song…..

Whisht @whisht

So, although I have a couple of songs related to monks and games and stuff, they’re all from my usual suspects I’m afraid.

Still, here’s something a bit different.

Obviously, out of my usual suspects ‘Pyramid song‘ sprang to mind. Its an ok Radiohead song, probably better than ok in fact.

But then I found this.
    I didn’t even know this was a ‘thing’ !

I’m now listening to ‘Nude’ which is even better.

Someone somewhere needs to develop these slowdowns orchestrally with choirs and suchlike (admittedly those aren’t quite the right terms as my more learned friends here will know!!). Its just that hearing them, I’m reminded what Brian (bloody) Eno did on Discreet Music with Variations on Canon in D Major by Pachebel (with the other ‘bloody’ Gavin Bryars). Now I don’t really know what Eno and Bryars did, but hearing it I know he was doing something.

Something should be done with Radiohead.

(a t-shirt slogan that many on various sides of any line concerning Radiohead will agree on)

Whisht @whisht

… on realising that less is more (and when to shut up).

I remember hearing Guy Garvey from Elbow on Desert Island Discs and how he talked about how really great songwriters can perfect a song down to its elements.

I think he said he could have chosen many, but he chose this by Tom Waits.

Which made me smile as I love this song anyway and for what I took for its simplicity (Garvey and others here may tell me rightly that its actually sophisticated yet simply laid out like a lace dress).
    But it also made me think of this song by Elbow themselves and whether it was influenced by Waits.

Less is more sometimes and editing is king.

Whisht @whisht

So, probably my last bit of music before Saturday.

Here’s some reggae/dub/ska/hiphop as a kinda anthem for what we’re going into (I haven’t seen the “Coming Next” or the other stuff so maybe wildly out!)

Anonymous @

@whisht

that’s great music: loved it all. 800% slower’s awesome. Someone’s does this with all Radiohead -various choirs have expanded radioheads influence though?

Erm, whatstheirname? Great choir of girls, Voldemort as conductor (I won’t live that down) Belgian. Nice guy, worked with his less scary pianist brother.

Puro

@thane15

It’s not often you seen keen grasp of detail like that.

Apropos of nothing (honest guv), Sam Brown (whose voice has, alas been destroyed by nodules on her vocal chords)

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.