General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

Hey Hey Hey Hey – its @scaryb !

Great to see you back on the boards (even if its intermittent!).

[lyrics aren’t meaningful, but the title made me smile and its just one helluva choon!!]

wolfweed @wolfweed

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

wolfweed @wolfweed

@toinfinityandbepond  Great post! Les Dawson is a bloody legend!

Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed and @toinfinityandbepond – fantastic posts.

I’ve been going through my music and though lots popped up, when listening to them, there isn’t that sense of “ah – that sums up the episode!”.

So, I have one I posted before which is… interesting and always a great tune so doing it again (apologies).

Although if only the Monks had been more ‘wiped out; then this may’ve been better.

Whisht @whisht

While I was going through tunes I came across this one again.
    Its something I posted before (for whatever reason) but when a few seconds in I didn’t skip it for something else.
    I listened through and then went looking for another version to the one I originally posted.
    And I found this version.

And, maybe its just that what happened in London Bridge last weekend and having worked in that area over the years, and not knowing if friends were ok for a few hours (they’re fine) but… I dunno.
    Maybe I just needed to feel some love or whatever.

Maybe its indulgent of me but… this just feels right.
    Forgive me if you feel it inappropriate (its not meant to be).

Regardless, tell someone tomorrow (or today if its the morning) that you love them. Maybe that’d be too heavy – so maybe just hug them, or make them tea or laugh at their joke. Or send them an email.

@whisht @thane15 @scaryb and anyone else who cares…

Nothing to do with episodes but:

GO OUT AND BUY THEA GILMORE’S NEW ALBUM NOW! I posted The War, the teaser track, a while back but the standout tracks are Slow Fade To Black and Rise (which is just sublime) – but rather annoyingly neither have been youtubed yet. So have two of the best covers I have ever heard.

And this:

Whisht @whisht

Hey @pedant

Those are great covers!
    I always think a truly great cover is when the person singing it sounds like they’re the only person that could’ve sung it; and/or if they’ve translated it into another musical genre and show something new about the song.
    Which (for me) a folk version of Ever Fallen in Love.. does. It makes it tender.

Coincidentally I’ve been looking for a Bowie song for The Lie of The Land and have been trying not to use the one that someone (rightly) suggested for the previous episode.
    But…. Toby Whithouse is obviously an appalling writer in that he hasn’t given me us an obvious Bowie reference!!
    BURN HIM!!!!!

So, here’s Nirvana…

Nick @nick

@whisht

I prefer Nirvana’s version to the original I’m afraid.

Whisht @whisht

I’m sure I’ve posted this before but can’t find it in my ‘done this don’t post again’ list.

But I loved it when I first heard it; I assumed it was a very faithful version of an original, but can’t find a version its that faithful to (eg Weavers).
    Maybe its just that I love the banjo in this.

**WARNING – this has nothing to do with Dr Who and nothing to do with SPOILERS as I don’t go to that thread and am simply lonely waiting for everyone to come back into the main room…….**

:¬|

wolfweed @wolfweed

@whisht – It might seem like there must be a vast amount of major revelations being leaked over there but we’re mostly just theorising about Xmas future…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

I’ve just got back from the NE and was surprised by the number of spoiler thread comments myself. I’ll be back to post some thoughts on the last couple of episodes tomorrow, but I’m currently laughing at the notion that Theresa May may have just ‘won’ a hung Parliament. Delightful (but being realistic, unlikely).

Anyways, a while back you @blenkinsopthebrave and @arbutus had a conversation about the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. I can only echo @blenkinsopthebrave s thoughts on Viv Stanshall, but just add that the band had another genius in the form of Neil Innes. I was delighted to find out that a large amount of his solo work from ‘The Innes Book of Records’ has been uploaded to YouTube.

So, on the subject of Elections, here is Neil on the subject of apathy:

And a thought on the nature of democracy by a much older Neil:

Anonymous @

@whisht

you didn’t! You’re totally dead to me, dude.

Nitvana. Fuck’s sake, eh?

<throwing water balloons at you now>

Purothejoker

Anonymous @

@nick I used to have this on youtube -the actual interview, now it’s stuck in a number of hour long Bowie facts:

In the wake of its release, Bowie bemoaned the fact that when he performed the number himself he would encounter “kids that come up afterwards and say, ‘It’s cool you’re doing a Nirvana song.’ And I think, ‘Fuck you, you little tosser!‘”

This is why I said what I did to @whisht who, you know, hopefully knows I’m joking!

Puro 😀

Whisht @whisht

@Thane15 – Puro, you know I don’t have a sense of humour.

Once I stop weeping from the hurt, I’ll gather my thoughts, before throwing them out of my pram.

EDIT: hmmm….. just noticed that my avatar kinda contradicts this…

;¬)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

As a break from politics and everything else, I thought I’d post this. My cousin who lives in America posted it on Facebook as we both had deaf grandparents.

It isn’t a fantastic piece of music but to me it’s a very heartwarming clip. And it does kinda echo the “In a population of 7 million there’s you” or whatever the quote was regarding Bill.

Just a pity you can see Simon Cowell’s eyes fill with dollar signs. But try to take it for what it is and just enjoy. It made my Mum cry.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Call me Captain Obvious…

ScaryB @scaryb

Great posts (as always), Thanks @whisht, @toinfinityandbepond, @phaseshift, @craig, @wolfweed and all. @pedant – you have great taste! Thea Gilmore is fab.

Bit hard to get away from politics in the UK this week, but I don’t really need an excuse for The The, haha. Love this –

Whisht @whisht

I’m being lazy…..

Whisht @whisht

ah – somehow missed yours @pedant

One reason I posted the actual song was I’ve been failing to find original songs of Bowie’s (DRM!) so was a bit surprised to find this one (maybe its a Vevo thing).

But did really like yours – would’ve loved to have been there!

Whisht @whisht

ok, been a few days without posting and then posting two songs (I’m like bloody busses!)

{ahem}

Anyway…. here’s one for the Empress of Mars episode that isn’t a lazy Bowie reference (bad whisht).

The lyrics are even fun if you squint your ears

@scaryb
    ah – The The never a bad choice!

But to take a theme of this election’s outcome, I’ll try this.
    It seems the ‘yoof’ turned up and wanted to take things a bit ‘leftwards’.

So, I give you…

;¬)

I’m sure I’ve put this up before, but fuck it.

Anonymous @

@pedant @whisht @craig @cathannabel @mudlark @wolfweed @fatmaninabox  and all of you! (and I know many  don’t live in London city -but you’re a small kingdom filled with big-hearted people.  Just like this Forum).  And Pedant,  some things should be posted regularly!   Last night I went thru all 14 pages of the music thread before Bowie died. It was poignant on SO many levels.

This particular song isn’t part of the new album ?

Thane has Spotify etc but I haven’t talked to him about which songs he likes.

This is an awesome choice:  considering the horror you’ve all witnessed in past months.

We’re standing with you, all of us, Australians and ex-pats too.

Puro xoooo

Anonymous @

@whisht

And yes, despite buses, keep posting!  Although any other  nitvardi  covers of David will dis-concert. <puro bringing d’humour>

I thought this was posted pretty recently. And I love this particular concert.  Some don’t like anything much from ‘Low’ -I’m not one of dem people! I’m adding this because it’s part of his chat with the congregation (ahem).

Love to you ALL!

Puro and Thane

Anonymous @

@arbutus and the Arbutusas (too much sherry for Meli! -although that could be a great name for a band, yeah?)

Congratulations for Master Arbutus.  Always loved this bright song.

And it’s a brand new day!

Kindest

The PurIlions.

@thane15

Not new – from an album of previously unrecorded Sandy Denny (of Fairport Convention) that were never recorded before she died. Gilmore wrote the music and recorded them (this). The BBC used London to wrap up its 2012 Olympic coverage.

Anonymous @

@pedant

It’s not often you see [a]  keen grasp of detail like that

Oh, clever that.

[Sam] whose voice has, alas been destroyed by nodules on her vocal chords..

And where else would they be? But still, a penetrating analysis.

Seriously though: a gorgeous and very unique voice.

@thane15

“very unique”, eh? 😉

@whisht @thane15 @scaryb

At last someone thought to get their smartphone out at a gig.

The sublime “Rise”:

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – that’s lovely and I’m hoping the smartphone was held in a vicelike grip by one of her production crew!!
    I jest – currently musicians make most of their money from live gigs so live performances online showing to thousands “you should go to the next gig by this person because they are great live” are (imo) essential.
    I think the whole ‘don’t let them listen/download it’ legal culture is killing musicians but at the same time we have a lopsided technical availability.
    Probably blockchain or somesuch will redress this, but I hope it doesn’t stifle creatives and creativity for too many years.

In Empress of Mars…

Bill mentioned The Thing – lovely score. Morricone channeling Carpenter. One thing polishing/ rubbng off on the other?

‘Enjoy’ [entirely the wrong word unless you enjoy being scared]

part 1 too many spoilers in the video
    I’ve forgotten the film so may rewatch this weekend

:¬O

wolfweed @wolfweed

Courtesy of former PM David Cameron (& Lucius)

Arbutus @arbutus

It’s worse than jazz.

Whisht @whisht

ha ha – yes @arbutus I noted the “its worse than jazz” dig!

Will listen eagerly!

I haven’t said much (anything?) about Eaters of Light as nearly everything has been said (an I kinda agree with it all).
    So, Bowie reference for Eaters of Light…?

Not exactly a favourite of mine, but seems obvious.

Whisht @whisht

So, a different choon for Eaters of Light.
    This one for all the children references…

(not the best off this album, but hopefully not a bad introduction if you’ve not heard their stuff. I tire quickly of it – maybe two songs in succession and that’s enough but those two songs….. ahhhhh….)

@whisht @thane15

So, the definitive song about time, and may as well got right back to the beginning:

Whisht @whisht

great song @pedant – it will shock and sadden you to know that I’d never heard it before!

:¬o

As for World Enough and Time…

Well I’m still flogging this horse if no one else is(!) but is this too obvious a Bowie link?

;¬)

@whisht

There are many cover of the song, but check out the one by 10,000 Maniacs.

And back to Time… Best. Intro. Ever.

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – noooooooooooo!!!

You went there.

But “Best. Intro. Ever.”
    blimey.

I hope when you said that that it sounded like:
    “Besp. Inpro. Ebah”
    while you had your tongue firmly in your cheek!

🙂

Whisht @whisht

Now, in all seriousness.

This IS The Master’s Theme.

@whisht

Many years of diligent research by scientists, using science, have show that people who like The Smiths are in no position to criticise any one else’s taste. About anything. Science proves it. With science.

Over to you Tom…

Whisht @whisht

awww @pedant – I’ll let you link to Bowie’s Time and you can have a full house!

😉

@whisht

Seems a shame not to…

Whisht @whisht

ah, just realised some may not have understood (or cared to be fair) why I chose El Cumparsita for The Master’s Theme.
    That’s because the version I preferred happened not to have the ‘full’ name of the song “El Cumparsita (The Masked One)
    [link to another version I don’t like as much and don’t think its as capey/ moustache-twirly as the one I originally linked to].

Blimey – this is a pointless post, so here’s another track for World Enough and Time.
    This is for the Patients and the nightmarish volume controls imposed on them.

It’s by The Knife (Mr Razor! ha ha …. ohh, I’ll go now…).

wolfweed @wolfweed

@whisht

Too good to resist…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I loved the western theme tonight, with nods to The Alamo and The Magnificent Seven. And the soundtrack had many nods to Ennio Morriconie, from all of Sergio Leone’s westerns, so I’ll just drop this bomb.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh, and of course, there was that harmonica.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Nick @nick

this seemed particularly appropriate.. although not particularly outstanding musically

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.