General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 784 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of wolfweed wolfweed 3 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 751 through 785 (of 785 total)
  • Author
    Avatar of wolfweedwolfweed @wolfweed

Purely because it has a ‘Night of the Hunter’ sample…

love

Blimey! Well I guess it was a finale so explains @pedant and @craig rolling out the big guns!
    The End and Morricone!

I’ve gone with something opposite (cos…. well, just cos).
    Tiny tears…

Mainly for the song title but it does have this lyric:
    “How can you hurt someone so much your supposed to care for,
    Someone you said you’d always be there for”

And ‘Don’t Forsake me oh my Darlin’ (excellent @nick !)
    [god i wanna see a Western now…. or Night of The Hunter which is effing fantastic!!]

@whisht

I also thought this song could apply to either Bill or Missy

I wasn’t convinced that this eels song, was quite right, but it could apply to the master given the Doctor;s mancrush.

@Nick – great Eels choices, and made me think of ‘friend’ songs…..

Avatar of ArbutusArbutus @arbutus

I see I have lots of catching up to do around here!  :-)

Right now, just a quick “Hey it’s summer!” to all members in the northern hemisphere. I’ve sort of got the garden organized (it was a wet, wet spring), and loving eating outside despite the ants and so on. I love summer. My clematis is about to turn majorly purple, and the olive tree is growing back from the roots, having apparently not died during the snow after all. There’s prosecco in the fridge, and folk fest this weekend, so I’m sure to discover some great new music.

To our British and American friends: We live in interesting times, with lots of eventful news to read every morning. To our friends down under: It’s winter, so hopefully no forest fires? To my fellow Canadians: If you have a moment, get on to the Canadian Red Cross, and donate something to help BC forest fire victims (14,000 evacuated so far). But on a positive note, how cool is it that our new Governor-General speaks six languages and has been in space?

Heading over to the BBQ to stir things up and make flames. Did I mention I love summer?  :-)

Love, a hopelessly optimistic Arbutus!   OOO

Avatar of winstonwinston @winston

@arbutus   Happy summer to you!  Ontario has been very wet with some flooding but most has dried up now and after pulling out and replanting a lot of drowned veggies things in the garden are looking good. The fires in B.C. are terrible and I like many others are trying to help in any way they can and of course the Red Cross is the best place to start.

Our new Governor General is pretty cool and has certainly seen Canada from a whole different place.

Have a great summer.

Avatar of blenkinsopthebraveblenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@arbutus

Yes! I remember that song from my youth. What a great song!

As a fellow resident of British Columbia I entirely support your appeal for people to donate to the Canadian Red Cross. What is happening out here is terrible and needs support.

Now back to rewatch Martha and the Vandellas!

ooh – somehow I missed @Arbutus‘ post – GREAT song!

Now…. a post for the next Doctor reveal….

Maybe dour (Johnny where’s the fun!? in your voice), but hopeful.

;¬)

@Whisht

Just dour…!

Emperor

Okay, I may take a hit for this, but I mean it in the most endearing and ironic terms. I’m so pleased with the 13th Doctor.

It’s not the longest of songs, I grant you…

great choons – so one from me!

cos the Doctor is, right?

Avatar of toinfinityandbepondtoinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

ooh – missed a few of these!

@toinfinityandbepond – great song – I’ve not heard of Dar Williams before.
    I liked this version I found (prodded by you) as I somehow heard the last verse better – maybe as i wasn’t distracted by the images. thanks!!

@Wolfweed – I’ll admit to not being a massive ELO fan but I AM a fan of Silent Running!
    Huey!!!
    I’ll warn “Spoilers” for anyone who hasn’t seen it and wants to see a great film – don’t watch the video (but listen to the song with the browser down!)

;¬)

so – apologies I haven’t been on for a while but am lurking/reading (just not on the Spoilers thread and nothing to add yet to Capaldi memories until I re-watch his seasons).

So, a song for the 13th (btw I love how xmas is 12 + 1 =13!)

anyway – how did I miss this one (apologies if already done and I missed it)

Hi everybody !

I am so, so sorry for not being there for so much time, I was pretty busy, and actually I still am, so I just thought i would share this with you as an appologize, and sorry if you already knew them ^^’ I just think they’re very underrated.

Avatar of JimTheFishJimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I’ll stick this here because, although possibly it should go in TV shows or On The Sofa. But, let’s face it, Brian Pern was a musical legend. Lots of Who references here too which are fun, including Peter Davison, Matt Lucas and Christopher Eccleston (proving that he really can do comedy). But it’s Michael Kitchen who once again steals the show.

Emperor

Ah, in memory of Glen Campbell who died today. My Dad is a Country & Western fan so I grew up with the likes of Rhinestone Cowboy, but this was my favourite. Campbell was also a great guitar player (although here less is more), having been a session musician for many other acts.

Avatar of Cath AnnabelCath Annabel @cathannabel

Nice one @craig.  We played Wichita Lineman last night when I saw the news.   A gorgeous song, gorgeously sung.

@JimTheFish

Thanks for the Brian Pern Documentary. I’m pretty sure that it’s Dr Who canon…….

pd

(P.S. – The music cues @ 5:18 & 15:56 are from Resurrection of the Daleks methinks…)

Avatar of JimTheFishJimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed— to be fair I don’t think Pern is all that worse than the real Tereliptil…

and kudos to Davison and his excellent comedic chops….

So, a song for Bill.

Because the aftershow managed to get fixated by hair (and it seemed a gentle distraction here too) I thought this might work.

Maybe a bit ‘stoner’/ ‘slacker’ for Bill, she’d be more energetic, but… its late and its all I got for now!

;¬)

Emperor

I think I may treat myself and watch “Silent Running” again tonight. Brilliant movie, fantastic script, performances and direction and, even if not, it’d be worth it just for Joan Baez.

Emperor

I’m having a week off (although busy on other things), so having enjoyed ‘Silent Running’ last night I’m watching ‘The Big Lebowski’ tonight. So, y’know…

This riff reminds me of something…  I can’t think what…….

Emperor

So this is officially the most bonkers/fun thing I have ever seen.

Avatar of thane15thane15 @thane15

To all fans of The Mist including me Mum and @pedant.

Great series.

Thane15 (up all night making sock puppets: long story)

ah @Thane15 – not seen The Mist, but I love Perfect Day.

I was lucky to know a couple who lived in New York 20-odd years ago and spent a holiday or two with them.

I couldn’t help but hum this after spending a wonderful day with one of them in Central Park (and a few museums/ galleries).

well, I don’t know this musician deeply (others here will, I’m sure). Just a few tracks by Can and collaborations with David Sylvian.

Although every time I come across anything he’s said, he seems amusing, curious and subversive, the music I came across him first was probably this moody, atmospheric piece.
    Its still one I’ll put on when I’m reading so that now it sparks odd visual memories from books and comics I’ve read.

Holger Czukay 1938-2017

Avatar of thane15thane15 @thane15

@whisht

Hey there!

Thx for your selection.

Yeah, I’m not sure about whether I like Orange’s version of Pft Day better than Reed. Mum actually does which I think is probably treasonous or something but on balance Reed’s is better to me, anyway

It’s like Mum really liking Lea Salonga singing Les Mis  -and yet she says she doesn’t like musicals 😀 when Patti Lupone was the “first singer” of that and it was probably note perfect (though mum says she was both sharp and ‘lost it’ in one bar -I couldn’t tell because I can’t sing a single note in tune). So whadda I know? :)

Czukay? I had never heard of him (him?) And he passed away this year?

I will now check him out.

Sounds like  a Russian or Serbian name maybe.

Thane

So, I’ve joined in with some people watching The Keys of Marinus on the other thread.

and I thought “I wonder what was on the radio at the time?”

I wasn’t around at the time, so I’m using what I think was in the charts (based on this site) but happy (perhaps happier) for people who were around at the time to tell me “well, yes that was in the charts but actually this was popular…”

Here’s something recorded a few months later, but was number 1 when The Keys… went out live.

Here’s another song that had already been in the charts a while.

@Winston

“She seems a little dense to me. I can imagine her driving 12 crazy. “stop trying to swim”, “don’t wander away” “don’t follow strange footprints” etc”

I love the idea of a weary Doctor, sick and tired of telling Susan what not to do…

@Whisht   ‘Don’t pretend to be a Doctor…’

pretend

Viewing 35 posts - 751 through 785 (of 785 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.