General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author

@whisht

Twice Upon a Time (but again, still not finding anything just right).

That’s because I already played the top trump (in the old, nice, sense of “trump”).

Whisht @whisht

Hi @pedant – ah yes, The Farm.

I’ll admit I didn’t know that one was about the Christmas truce.
    Somehow I’d scrubbed any knowledge (and sound) of them from my ears and brain.

Thanks for re-introducing that ‘music-hole’ back to my memory.

{ahem}

😉

Anyway, here’s something where the lyrics aren’t really that close to the episode, but it came up on shuffle and I went “yeah!”

🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It seems a little legal spat has started involving Lana Del Rey and Radiohead over her song “Get Free” which, to me, does sound a lot like “Creep” by Radiohead. But then it turns out The Hollies sued Radiohead for copying them – I can hear similarities, but not as much as the Radiohead/Lana Del Rey songs.

Those with more musical ears – care to enlighten me? I’d be really interested in your thoughts, although be careful so that you don’t get dragged into a lawsuit.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig — I’m in no way a musical authority but I think I tend to echo your thinking. There seems to me to be slight differences with the Radiohead and the Hollies but nothing I would have thought you could have sued over. The Hollies just seems to echo the musical tropes of the 50s in general to me. But the Lana Del Rey seems to me pretty blatant and near identical. I’m not surprised Radiohead are suing tbh.

But really that’s just what it sounds like to my tin ear. Puro would know.

Whisht @whisht

Ah, @craig
    Funnily enough when I first read your post I couldn’t see the image and couldn’t listen. When I read her name I thought “uh oh – she does rather wear her Radiohead influences on her sleeve…”

and then realised it was Lianne de Havas I was thinking of!! *

So – I hadn’t heard Lana Del Rey’s song before, so I thought I’d listen and write stream-of-consciousness as I did…

…and I was pissing myself laughing that she/ they thought they could get away with it!!
    Honestly – it feels like they traced the damn thing from the songsheet!
    oh – but here’s a break that doesn’t sound like Creep – it instead sounds like something from a David Lynch film.
    ah – back to Creep I mean the cover version with different lyrics.

ha ha ha ha ha. ahem.

I know that songwriters sometimes sing over other songs to find something and create something of their own; but this just feels like they forgot to do the second bit!

Now onto the Hollies – I hadn’t heard this before (nor its own controversy with Creep).
    oh hold on, of course I have heard this before.
    Ah, now that I hear it again, I can hear why they contested this one.
    And this does sound like Radiohead may have started with it as inspiration for the verses and though changing stuff, not actually changed it enough (at least to satisy the lawyers).
    At least they didn’t try to keep the “all I need is the air that I breathe” bit as that is truly iconic.
    Anyway, seems like the Radiohead lawyers cut a deal and awarded some royalties of Creep to the Hollies (which may be why they now want 100% of Lana’s royalties – or maybe its because Lana’s is more blatant – or maybe because, y’know, they’re lawyers).

Anyway all thoughts my own ramblings and if lawyers would like this post removed, I’m happy to hum it and upload the sound file sans words.

* and here’s where she covers Radiohead’s Weird Fishes which is just effing amazing gievn its at Glastonbury which is open air and not intimate in any way, yet she manages to try anyway.

maybe she just likes arpeggios (or maybe I just can’t tell what they are!)

and Radiohead doing Weird Fishes live

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht @jimthefish regarding the Hollies and Creep I came across this yesterday which is quite fun.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh, and this made me laugh a lot. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in a Major key.

syzygy @thane16

@jimthefish @whisht

Hallooo! You called the friendly musician? Please press 1 for sales;  2 for technical difficulty and 3 for possible truth and fact mixed with fun.

Yep, Jim, the chords of the 50s are as much of a cross-over as the early 60s. And this has happened before.

Mendelssohn’s famous Octet contains bars from The Messiah- if you listen carefully.

Personally, Creep takes its chords from the Hollies choon. So not surprising that the Radiohead album mentions the Hollies’ lyricists and musicians -or two of them, anyway.

on the other thread I want to thank @wolfweed for all those fabulous vids as well as putting up In Memoriam 2017 which was just heart-breaking. So many people involved in Who and this brings me back to music, there really are a limited amount of ‘notes’ and chords which play nicely together, horizontally, for our Western tonal ear so it’s not surprising that one song inspires another which inspires lawyers which inspires the internet and more music…….it’s all interesting publicity in the end. Or is it the beginning? Composing music or re-iterating music is a lot like time travel. 🙂

Thank you for your call. Would you like fries with that? Is there anything else I can help you with taking bucket-loads off your credit card forthwith?

Cheers. Puro.

syzygy @thane16

@craig

@jimthefish @whisht

The Lana Del Ray is the same as similar to Creep. There’s no way round that. The middle 8/12 *cough * reminds me of something .. from Sgt Peppers or Revolver actually. That’s happily nicked, studied as well.

“All art is illusion but then try to touch it and there’s nothing to hold on to…..I wanna get off, but I keep riding. I want to live my own life  [well paraphrased]…”

She should start, erm, living her own life, imo.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: copyright features
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@thane16

See, I knew Puro would be on the case. Cheers for that.

Genuinely saddened by the death of Dolores O’Riordan. 46 is no fucking age. Anglo-American pop and rock, but with a unwavering Irish accent.

Cute teen-angst love songs:

Or,  Zombie was a real raw, angry response to the Warrington bombing.She was 23 hen she sang it on Letterman:

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – True that 46 is no fucking age (says the guy who is 46 for at least another month or so).

Another musician that has died is the rather longer-lived Hugh Masekela.
    I don’t know his music well; I heard this many years ago and loved it, but a subsequent hunt and ‘Best of’ didn’t have anything even close, so will have to see if there’s more I should listen to.

Its kinda raw, but if its not your thing then I’m sure that many here will enjoy the other Monterey songs if the right-hand related list is anything like mine!

Whisht @whisht

shit.

That might be a review or a response to another death.

For me its the latter.

With so many songs I could link to many and give a skewed appreciation of them, or just link to one (and admit the skew). This one is because, well, every planet has a North.
    I’m not sure anyone liked everything they released and I’m sure they liked it that way.

But my main thoughts are with my mate Joe who encouraged/dragged me to their gigs and was just so happy there.
    RIP

Whisht @whisht

So as there have been so many mentions in the press recently (100 year anniversary and all), I thought I’d try and find some music.

Some of what I found was a bit earnest so I thought I’d play something a bit more fun :

and of course, all links lead to Bowie :

Whisht @whisht

Yes, I went there.

No apologies.

😉

syzygy @thane16

@whisht LOL

thought this applies to our now older regeneration considering the diamond he had to smash thru and the different names they had for him.  probably someone else posted it well before I did though.

@pedant  I think you would also like Pink Floyds ‘shine On You Crazy Diamond’

@thane16

Shine On You Crazy Diamond has been in my collection for…..about 35 years. 😉

Whisht @whisht

Shine on.. yep, had it a while and go back to it every 5 years or so.

In terms of Aztecs here’s my second not-really-related tune.
    I’ve done Yma Sumac before, but here she is again with a tune I’m sure I didn’t link to (and yes, Incas and Aztecs are different – but so is a singer from New York and a ‘native’ singer from… anywhere other than New York!).

And for anyone who cares, here’s a video where someone has tried to figure out what notes she’s actually singing in a song!

Whisht @whisht

So, my third song(s) for the Aztecs (this time for episode 3).
    I’ll embed a couple but add a few links to stuff I found along the way!

For some contemporary love-related music you can’t really get beyond the Beatles

I was surprised that the Doctor seems to have been a bit of a Loverman even back in the early days.
    And he does seem a bit older than Cameca, which meant I found some fun and some less-fun tracks (but that will happen when the Fall is in your library)!

As the Doctor’s enjoying his cocoa so much (that’s not a euphemism – at least I don’t think it is), here’s something groovy that popped up in my library when I went hunting for choons.

Now, as for Aztec-related stuff, I’m running out (will dig for the last one) so… back to an old fave

syzygy @thane16

This is waaaay late Mr @whisht . But happy birthday (belated by about 3 months nearly?).

From Thane16.

PS: mum loves this song and this particular video.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Murray Gold being very Murray Goldish…!

Whisht @whisht

hey @thane16 – wow, thank you and your mum so much!
    I’m really touched; yes my birthday was a coupla months ago but still, you remembered!!

In terms of Trevor Horn (the bespectacled Buggles guy) he was also a key part of The Art of Noise (though as with Buggles it was a collective of other musical contributors like Anne Dudley).
    And hearing this was one of the seminal moments in my life

Whisht @whisht

And for my final pointless musical post for the Aztecs….

A bit of self indulgent misery (ah Doctor – could that/ would that have been Love…?), but… if your heart has been broken (even by yourself) then I reckon some self indulgence is ok.
    However – everything in moderation.

Whisht @whisht

I’m rather late to the party with this band.
    Heard of them, but didn’t bother to listen to them.

Then I heard this – doh!
    [should’ve listened to them a long time ago!]

It seems swapping genders can be a really really good thing, as the original version is sung by a man and… well, somehow the lyrics just don’t quite make me smile as much.

That and the Detroit Cobras kick ass

Whisht @whisht

I just read that Aretha Franklin isn’t well (“gravely ill”) so here’s something to remind us what a great singer and musician she is.*

Sail on, sail on

* This link may be to a better performance (though not as good a recording)

syzygy @thane16

@mudlark

Yes indeed Thane enjoyed Ashes to Ashes after an initial belief it was slow and tedious. He was roundly walloped!

Now, to mud:

syzygy @thane16

and to @pedant!

Mr P has had a day or so of illness so a fun & totally nutty song (with some coarse language I’m afraid) will get your head happily noddin’ up ‘n’ down. My I present: Screeching Weasel…     🙂

syzygy @thane16

@cathannabel This lovely rendition is for you! Colourful and heart warming.

@whisht

I had NO idea I missed that comment about The Buggles and The Art of Noise! Thank you for that.  I had Dudley right but somehow it was ‘Margaret’ not Anne, weirdly.

Puro

@thane16

For some reasons this reminded me of The Amateur Transplants “London Underground” song, which is upthread somewhere.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Yes it is like that. I think the fast beat, rhythmic repetition, manic singing style -a touch of righteous rage    – alongside similar chords & there’s an eerie resemblance   🙂

On the other thread you mentioned the fucker that is PTSD?

Puro

syzygy @thane16

@pedant must also check out the light weight nature of cars -when they’re not!  Didn’t realise that. Also, traversing the narrow path that is nuance.

Puro-goodness-it’s-late.

PS:   @cathannabel I shall find more Aretha choons (the latest from @whisht I think) but no J. Strauss 🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@thane16  Screeching Weasel and The Grateful Frogs . . . how did I miss that concert?  Same way I missed all the other ones, I guess.

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

I missed The Art of Noise THEN I missed The Fall – – Scanlon -Craig or Mark?? With Brix Smith.

Good grief.

This household has been listening to various national songs = Oh Canada and the old  Soviet Hymn sung with Paul Robeson. Such an ancient, beautiful voice.

Puro

Whisht @whisht

@thane16
    so sorry for not replying sooner – didn’t get the kick-in-the-shins email that I usually get for “someone’s mentioned you” !
    Probably my dodgy email…
    so, from flanders and swann to screachin’ weasil to Mozart!
    flippin ‘eck.

I have nothing to reply with but realised I hadn’t replied so…. hiya.

🙂

[and after catching up and reading the great other threads on women/Who (and fuckwittery), age and how it may alter our appreciation and, well and everything else, I’ll try to post more often!]

Apropos of nothing in particular, this is the most sublime thing you will hear any time soon:

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

*respect*

syzygy @thane16

So,  we were talking about gramma.  Maybe also about annunciation.  Others have linked to this group before but not this hilarious number. @mudlark have a listen….

Puro & Thane

syzygy @thane16

Eminem. Strong Content Warning.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Just because…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed

You beat me to it. 😀

syzygy @thane16

Macklemore on the same page as Rap God?

What is the universe coming to?

(Puro)

syzygy @thane16

A few ideas popped into my head after watching The Woman Who Fell To Earth.

I know people think Rise Against is too much like Minor Threat but still….the episode highlighted war, trophies, injustice, fair play, authenticity and loyalty.

Whisht @whisht

I’ll admit – I don’t have anything for the episode, but maybe for the episode as well as us all here…

and its trendy retro* donchya know

*in the UK we seem to have been retro-ing for 10 years until someone kickstarts something!!

Whisht @whisht

ok, this is for the Ghost Monument.

and @puro – yes, yes it is very very silly.

Whisht @whisht

or this….

Call me Captain Obvious:

syzygy @thane16

so Alec Roberts has orchestrated and contributed to a number of telly series and also some movies. The score of this so VERY  operatic.

Puro

syzygy @thane16

This isn’t exactly right as it’s Birmingham. A lot don’t like Phil Ochs either. I do. He and Dylan split pretty nastily due to Ochs’ wish Dylan would stay with protest lyrics. Just in case people didn’t know, is all.

T16

syzygy @thane16

Oh and this one too. Dylan’s lyrics are awesome here, imho. T16

There’s a Tom Petty song for every occasion. And quite often, a Johnny Cash performance…

And the song from the ep

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.