General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 480 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  idiotsavon 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    syzygy @thane16

@pedant @whishtย  @arbutus

Hey YOU! You’ve been gone a very. Long. Time ๐Ÿ™

I hope all is well in the Arbutus manor?

And that reminds me of another manor!ย  The @idiotsavon castle!

I spent, ooh, about 3 hours last night watching Listen & reading all the comments. I’m a-watching all of the Peter Capaldi years again. How beautiful. I was reading all ‘youse’ comments including the idiotsavon’s and SO many others. Can I mention some? @fivefaces @chickenelly? Where art thou?

@janetteb Agreed over at the pub.ย  It’s burning whilst he’s surfin.’ย  So more Midnights… Yep, he did enter politics but his advisors were …unfortunate. There was scandal (serious) over ceiling batts, poor installation of insulation & his association with them. His political life was very short.

So, Beds was released in response to John Howard’s (former Aus PM, of the Liberal Party -the Conservatives, here) behaviour towards the indigenous peoples. Unfortunately, whilst an apology has happened, their situation is more dire. Meanwhile we’re surrounded by cultural elites, drinking their champers, setting up their YT channels, with no care or respect for politics beyond: “I don’t like politics. And mum always said you can’t discuss religion either.”

In my opinion, those two things should be spoken about. A great book by Maddox called God Under Howard. You might like my other copy @janetteb.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: I really didn't want to call the PM Little Dick. Not on the music forum
    janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 thank you, that is very appropriate for the moment, (and I always enjoy ‘the Oils”) and as for the insulation thing, it was greatly overblown and he took the blame and fell on his sword but the right just get away with mess up after mess up never admit to being a fault and the media just turns a blind eye.

Cheers

Janette

syzygy @thane16

@janetteb ah, see, I edited out the Little Dick.

janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 Finally!!! I thought of something I could contribute to this, (we are having a “music” night, something we often do on a Friday) apologies if it has already been posted but this is in honour of a real Prime Minister. (Far from perfect but the good he did outweighed the harm, with the exception of East Timor which I regard as his greatest mistake.) Not their best song but this is for the subject,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdo1uRIZMcc

cheers

Janette

@janetteb @thane16

Somebody falling in their sword when the fucked up insulation, you say?

syzygy @thane16

So, for some meditation. Someone said, here’s looking at you Mr @blenkinsopthebraveLeit motif?

I will now admit for everyone this sad fact: I always thought The Man who Came to Dinner was actually (oh gawd) the same as “guess who’s coming to dinner.”

So when people said “we’re watching The Man Who โ€ฆ.” ” I’d nod enthusiastically & be a little clueless. I have never seen The Man Who Came to Dinner.

Oh boy. Years of my life passed by in ignorance. So, back to the other point. Look over here where I’m not blushing in embarrassment! Did someone (ahem) say Leitmotifssz?

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Niice. Sounds a lot like Patrick Doyle’s thing even though this is 400 years old!

Technically a couple of days late, but satisfyingly secular (well, OK, pagan)

Arbutus @arbutus

@pedant ย  I love these, especially Gaudete, which is an Arbutus family favourite. Here’s another that comes up at our annual carol sing, carefully timed so that we haven’t had too much wine and cheese to get through it, but just enough to not feel self-conscious when we mess up the verses (we take turns soloing, and we never fail to mess them up, sometimes quite extensively!).

Neil Innes, RIP. He played a set ay Kingston Poly in about 1980 that remains one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Also, for those who know their spoof history, co-created The Rutles with Eric Idle. But this is lovely.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Python, The Rutles. They were my teenage through early twenties years.

To have seen him in concert…I envy you, @pedant.

Happy New Year.

Arbutus @arbutus

RIP Neil Peart. ย  ๐Ÿ™

Peace Frog @peacefrog

I hope that I did that correctly. Just want to say, rest in peace Neil. You can join your family now. He lost his wife and daughter not that long ago. My next drum solo is for you.

I was lucky enough to see Rush play in St. Louis, Mo. in 1991. I was a Junior in high school. Played drums too.

Not like Neil Peart though. ๐Ÿ™‚

I know my video is the Femmes, but I’ll post some Rush next.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

I said I would and I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

Beneath, Between, Behind

Peace Frog @peacefrog

One more and I’ll hop on over to the couch.

Frog….hop….er, nevermind.

See you over there.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Two more while I’m hopping around the place.

This is one of my favorite “unknown” to the masses bands.

Firehose with Mike Watt on bass. He is the bass master. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy!

Flying the Flannel

Walking the Cow

Arbutus @arbutus

Just leaving this here for @thane16 ย (aka Syzygy the Elder). I love this.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Saw these fine dudes in 1994. Charlotte, NC.

Eggman – Beastie Boys

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Xanaduuuuuu…..

Whisht @whisht

Hey @peacefrog – Thanks so much for posting so much music!

Always great to hear good choons – its a great Violent Femmes song and I do love the mixes on that Beastie Boys track and there’s even a Daniel Johnston cover!

@arbutuswow – Not heard Lau before and that’s really piqued my interest!
    I really enjoyed how its folkiness is welded to something very different to what I’m used to when I think of ‘Folk’.

All I have is a couple of tunes I found when searching for ‘words-related-to-an-episode’.
    Though I think I’ve done the first one one before so methinks there was an episode with a “tranquility” link!

And we’re all about the independent women here!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

Thanks mucho!

I couldn’t remember who it was that partook in the Beastie Boys here. Almost just tagged everybody. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll just leave this here as I walk out the door. Be back soon.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Sorry almost forgot about this…couldn’t wait until later.

syzygy @thane16

OK, we’re goin’ slightly “off.”

I had the recording of this ages ago, never thought it would be on Youtube. Hah, the in’nernet. They needed a few extra female vocalists.ย  So, given the other discussion on t’thread: ole!

Whisht @whisht

So, the opener Spyfall had a motorbike chase.

That is enough of an excuse for these two slightly different songs.

and this which is (surprise!) very tender.

Whisht @whisht

@thane16 – that’s a great version of La Marsellesa – and you’re right about the female choir needing more voices! But I loved the male singers barging in to begin with… and being barged back out.

Its a great, stirring song. A real puff-your-chest-out-in-pride rabble rowser.

And in no surprise to anyone who’s ever seen me post a song, here’s something less…

… but with a killer bass to carry on @peacefrog ‘s earlier bass tracks (incl Jane’s Addiction as well as a soon-to-be-added-after-ripping-my-effing-cd-finally Femmes)!

Whisht @whisht

and this is for….

everyone

thank you

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

Bass!

How low can you go?

These guys slay it on this one.

Unrelated but that’s not unusual for me…one of my favorite videos ever made. They don’t have creativity like this anymore. The director was Michael Kaluta, best known for adapting “The Shadow” with Dennis O’Neil who’s known for his work on various Batman comic titles.

Alan Parsons Project – Don’t Answer Me

syzygy @thane16

@peacefrog

You are a wonderful frog. Genuine, clever & some music I haven’t thought of in ages. Welcome to you. Unless I already did that! in which case, welcome again ๐Ÿ˜€

Love a bit of the AlanPP me.

@whisht I assume the next anthem will be from dat place. OK, let me put on my father’s booming, Czech flavoured, stentorian ‘voice:’ย  ๐Ÿ™‚ “this awful mob, the places wid the screaming peoples, the long haired bums, the greasy looking girlz & toilets. Where. Were. Toilets? Nooh, they looked gaunt, maybe d’ drugs, all liquor & much sex meant they didn’t eat anything, nooh? No toilets always worries me, dcera, it always wid vorry me. And vere wasย  airconditioning? And vot cars vre doze?”ย  In the end, in his ’80s I gave him a vinyl of Hendrix to play on his 50 year old hi fi & he adored it!

Ok, so I’llย  add it. And I do miss Dad. Despite his suspicion of large people singing music he couldn’t comprehend, his own jazz, all self taught, was spectacularly goodย  Particularly on the accordion. People often put it down but it’s a tremendously versatile piece of equipment. He taught me it was a free reed aerophone. It’s easy to transpose & it worked equally for marches,ย  gloomy choons, the saddest love songs & the songs about…..wine, women, sons &, uh, songs. Bless ‘im. Ve had some good times…

Well, I’m rambling this morning. Having not actually made it to bed….

Therefore:

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16

Are You Experienced?

Live from the cornfields of Iowa in 1968.

This video has 62 down votes on the Tube.

Proof that there are at least 62 people out there with absolutely zero musical taste.

My own “Rock” band in high school that hit the big time with our shows at such places as – The high school talent show, that one girl’s birthday party (you can’t remember her name but her parents paid you in beer) and last but not least the County Fairgrounds Pavilion….between the juggling act and the really bad piano solo.

On the plus side, our band name was “Manic Depression”!

But really, we sounded okay. Played some Black Crowes covers and Hendrix’s “Fire” and “Hey Joe”.

When I hear “Fire” it always ends with this song, no matter how I end up getting there. ๐Ÿ˜€

Peace Frog @peacefrog

It’s time to admit that I think I might be hopelessly in love with Karen O.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whist

Which leads me back around to this.

And of course this…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

As I started a little Tim Minchin love in, here’s a full concert for those who haven’t yet appreciated his brilliance / madness.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

This next one is for all the trolly trolls out there under the bridges and for all of our world leaders.

And for any folks who just enjoy musical talent being displayed. Check out the Leslie speakers they borrowed from Pink Floyd for this video. Awesome!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

One more then I have to go do something productive…

Lighten Up!

And go learn to play some instruments like these guys.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

@thane16

Okay, I told a little fib…

Almost forgot about my friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

Whisht @whisht

Hi @peacefrog – ah, Karen O. I like Yeah Yeah Yeahs but only have the first album (I think).
    It reminded me (perhaps many things do!) of Mimi Goese when I saw her chanced upon this concert on TV ‘back-in-the-day’.
    (memories of hearing one song and scrabbling around on the carpet looking for a VHS to tape it on! The rest of it was amazing too – Durutti Column and David Byrne)

As I say, it wasn’t fancy but… fascination

Oh, and btw you mention the Beastie Boys and Pink Floyd’s Leslie amps so I think you may have also been bingeing on this while you were looking for choons (the one you found was great btw).

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

That’s my jam.

Yeah, I couldn’t remember which video showed them. But they used them on a few songs on “Check your Head”.

I see your gratitude and raise you this…

Lets go back….waaay back!

And it goes a little something like this, hit it…hit it.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@peacefrog @whisht

If you like Karen O and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, this is worth a quick watch – how “Maps” changed pop music.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@craig

@whisht

@thane16

Maps is a killer song.

Thanks for posting that. I wish there were more bands like that now. They sound sooooo good.

Got to go into work here in a sec. How dare they!ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

This one speaks for itself.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@craig

@whisht

@thane16

This band was….dare I say transcendent.

Still are. Somebody wrote this in the comments section for this video and I couldn’t have put it better myself.

“At their best, what the Doors made wasn’t just music but an incantation, a ritual in the dark to create a moment of magic.”

Spanish Caravan –ย  From the Live in Europe ’68 DVD

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

With discussions of alternative timelines and a certain cognitive dissonance required to watch the upbeat Doctor 13 takle climate change then what can I do?

Well, this guy Bill McClintock could help. He’s a You Tube remixer of some repute.

His channel is seriously funny if you have a bit of knowledge about rock/metal.
    His mashup of slayer & Katrina and the waves is cognitive dissonance personified

But,the featured track is pure brilliance. River said the Doctor got Stevie Wonder to play at the frost fairs get her birthday. I’d like to think that in a Aborted timeline this actually happened!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@phaseshift

@whisht

This one’s for you and you and you and especially for you Phaseshift.

Now, just click play… that is if you can get your gimp hand to operate a mouse. If not, maybe you can have your wife do it for you.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

What a great track! I am blessed!

I did get MrsP to help me (with my arthritis) and she loved it too!

Wishing you the best xxx

Thanks for bringing so much joy into our lives!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@phaseshift

I’m deeply sorry for what I said

It was uncalled for and I should know better.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Fair enough – get what you want from the site. It should be a place like that. I think that was the intention.

Have a good time.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Sure is quiet in here….in here…in here.

@whisht

@thane16

Live at Pompeii (1971)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

@thane16

Hey you green warty toad!

You croaked?

Could you post three different songs from three separate soundtracks and have them all be killer, but still have all three soundtracks be awesome at the same time?

…….said absolutely nobody ever.

Shhh…I just need an excuse to post these songs. ๐Ÿ˜€

Starting with the Pixies.

Wave of Mutilation from the “Pump up the Volume ST”

Next up is Teenage Fanclub featuring De la Soul.

Fallin’ from the “Judgement Night ST”

And finally the Maestro Leonard Cohen from the “Natural Born Killers ST”

Did I say three?

Sorry, but this Cowboy Junkies cover of Sweet Jane by Lou Reed is even better than his version.

Arbutus @arbutus

@peacefrog ย  ย I haven’t been able to keep up with your awesome posts. And now Cowboy Junkies! And the Doors. ๐Ÿ™‚ Brilliant.

I’ll leave something completely different, as I make ready to go out into the snow, with requisite grumbles about living in Vancouver where we’re not supposed to get this stuff. And yet, there’s about a foot of it outside my door, and more what they like to call “mixed precip” coming down as I write. *Huff!*

But really, as I am about the age Ella was in this recording, and feel like I’m ย watching my skill sets vanish before my eyes, how amazing is this performance? Cheers!

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.