General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 480 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  idiotsavon 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    syzygy @thane16

@pedant er what?

Yes, we know St Pancras & people are in a hurry. The roof is spectacular!  You’d think a few more people might pause. Everyone is going too fast everywhere all the time. I think.

Syzygy (Thane16) and mum.

Whisht @whisht

so, yesterday was Bootsy Collins’ 68th birthday.

Was looking for something of his to paste and then found this.
    Its not what I was looking for (ie something from James Brown era, or Rubber Band or something slick and produced etc etc).

No, this is a tutorial-type thing from BBC’s Rock School.
    The one.

“You can do anythang you want baby”

@thane16

I have lost count of the number of times I have walk past that piano. Never seen it not being played, always on my way to an appointment.

Whisht @whisht

BOO!!

So, songs for Halloween.
    I know I’ve done songs for this before but due to the passing of my old laptop I don’t know what they were, so… I’ll try and pick something I didn’t link to before!

So that means no Monster Mash

She’s Got A New Spell by the wonderful Billy Bragg

But even if I have done this before, this one is for Pedant

(I was 10 !)

but ignoring all the other obvious ones (“its in the trees!”) instead I’ll leave you with this scary (not scary) choon

I should find the cartoon but actually focusing on the orchestra is no bad thing!!

happy haunting!

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

I loved the Banshees! I thought Bootsy was born in Wisconsin? I remember that a boyfriend used to always tell me silly stories about who the head of different bands were -I had zilch knowledge at 16 of The Who, ACDA, Midnight Oil, & hundreds of other headlining acts like Led Zeppelin…

For the lad.

syzygy @thane16

to those who imagine.

I was saying to a friend that Bowie’s comment about make-up & Lennon was used a lot. But it was made known here.

“Made known” sounds a bit biblical

A bit late for remembrance weekend, but Jona Lewie was very vexed that this got treated as a Christmas song.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>When you go home, tell them of us and say,
    For your tomorrow, we gave our today
    </p>

Whisht @whisht

hi all – apologies have been missing of late but catching up!

@pedant – quite a few clips and things you’ve posted recently have been really lovely! That Children in Need clip, Singing in the Rain etc. But also didn’t know this about Jona Lewie (I’m absolutely guilty of the inward-groan in December, every time I here the parps at the beginning…).

@thane16 – haven’t seen that Bowie clip before. I struggled with Bowie a bit at the time as that whole ‘white-Soul’ thing seemed hard to relate to. Like it was lost behind a sheen of glamour.
    But maybe its his anecdotes of Lennon but he seems far more honest in this.
    But I’ve a LOT of snobbishness I need to get over with my music!!

Recently I’ve been reading an old comic (yep – I do that!) which is centred around characters’ relationship to music and culture (Phonogram if anyone is interested. Not the ‘best comic evah’ though. That would be Saga, but I digress…)

So, while reading it I had to listen to 90’s music that I hadn’t listened to at the time to get in the mood.

This is the signature track for one of the characters….

“enjoy”*

*other characters are snobbish about their music and hate this song!

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

welcome back. The Pippettes!  Or is it ‘Pipettes?’

I love the ice cream chord structure: Chord 1, chord vi, iv, v and repeat….

Bowie’s blonde hair & Spray Tan Era was a tad …odd. But yes, his impeccable timing, no over-doing it on the stage gave hints of the performer he would eventually become, I think. A more approachable stage act with a genuine connection to the audience from 1998 (to 2013).

@pedant I heard the Jona Lewie song for the FIRST time in 2007. The guests at the café were horrified it was on a Christmas album put together by the ABC.

Whisht @whisht

Happy Doctor Who Day everyone!!

Now one for all you pop-pickers out there – Its the hip thing daddy-o!

Whisht @whisht

Well, today we learned that we’ve lost some wit from the World.
    Jonathan Miller and Clive James.

I watched a couple of shows/ interviews between them and… well, things from the 80’s don’t always date well and I’m not sure the things I found reflect my memory of what it meant to a too-young-watcher to hear someone being clever and it being ok (and it also being ‘too-clever-by-half’).

So here’s something.

But this is something from half way through an interview with Jonathan Miller which may be timely, but the whole series is interesting.

syzygy @thane16

@winston @pedant and anyone with approaching or passing winter colds.

For anyone feeling under the weather with partners very unwell including Mr @missy.

I had a tear for Miller & James (sounds like a sketch act which both may’ve loved).

@whisht good to see you back on the music boards! Don’t leave them -you make these boards hum & tingle -all the boards & forums.  I should probably write “fora?”

From a musician’s point of view, I knew of Miller before Clive James. But I tweeted something today except I have only 2 followers 1 of whom (or is it “which” as a follower isn’t a specific human person? @mudlark !!!! ‘whom or which?’) I mentioned in this post. I loved Miller & my parents – who despised irreverence loved James (he was just ‘Clive’ to us, though broadly sounding it would’ve been “Clooaghfe”) @blenkinsopthebrave would be able to remember those diphthongs easily. They’re music to an ex-pat’s ears. And you know the ‘whom & which’ too. 🙂

@pedant dead right on d’other thread

The Syzygys

Totally random, prompted by this twitter thread (totally worth your time)

Led to this from me:

In turn led to this, a song I couldn’t tell you the last time I thought about – never mind the band.:

Whisht @whisht

So, there’s a General Election in the UK and everyone here is suffering the bombardment of lies on a daily basis. I’m exasperated, exhausted, disgusted and disgruntled.
    Every time I think to post a song my mood is one of posting something angry about lying.
    The kindest I’ve found is this ditty with at least a silly lyric

I think I’ve been battered into a state of non-anger and I’m simply twitching whenever I turn on the news (which I go to every day). I want to stay engaged….

I haven’t found a song in my library for ‘the bastards can’t stop lying to us’ or ‘it was all their fault not ours even though we’re the ones in power’ nor ‘we won’t cover those stories as we’re scared that whoever’s in government will revoke our license/ hollow us out’.

So, gritting my teeth and trying not to be negative, I thought I’d post a couple of songs I found along the way.
    I may have linked this before but its one I think of when someone says that ‘real life’ has gotten in the way of coming back to this forum/ posting here.
    For me this forum is real life as much as when I met a friend earlier today.
    Its as real as when a friend texted me to say the lives of his family had finally begun to take a turn for the better as his kid had at last been given a placement somewhere that could deal with his condition in a meaningful way. Though this had required the family and situation to hit breaking point.

Sigh.

So, a love song. A truly tender, beautiful love song.

I may yet do a post of invective-filled spleen and anger but tonight, just this.

Whisht @whisht

btw Be Bop Deluxe wasn’t a band I knew at the time, but one I’ve heard about since with other unrelated bands like Graham Parker or Doctor Feelgood… so thanks for that one pedant, kinda enjoyed it.

and really enjoyed the Gold Panda syzergy.
    Here’s something perhaps in a similar vein but maybe again gentle rather than where my head is often going these days!

Maybe I’ll listen to it in the morning!

;¬)

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

Lovely.

OK, so not lying specifically.

But it’s between the lyrics.

Is this the sound of the homeland calling, @thane16 Snr?

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

That is utterly wonderful. The highlight of my week.

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – with the train video I had thought “hm, that’s niche, you’ve found a trainspotters’ video of regional trains…” then I watched and listened!

;¬)

Nice.

@thane16 syzygy – Midnight Oil – they’re a good reminder of how a musician realised that he could make more impact as a politician. Not sure if he did, but respect to him that he thought he could (its certainly not taking the easy option).

There has been industrial, Military Grade lying in this election.
    Shameless, unequivocal, pointed-out-in-the-interview lying.

The Truth? Well, you can’t hide from the Truth cos the truth is all there is.
    (though maybe I’m just being hopeful)

So we’re in the home stretch of our election in UK.
    Polls have it somewhere between a Tory majority win and a Labour minority win. Tories and right-wing Press going with increasingly ‘populist’ messages (ie bigoted/ racist/ lock-’em-up/ scary Marxist Armageddon).
    But even a PM who won’t acknowledge a photo of a 4 yr old boy with suspected pneumonia, lying on coats on a hospital floor due to lack of beds/funding, isn’t losing votes. Doesn’t help that the BBC political Editor amplified a lie that ‘something else had happened’ at an event designed to distract attention from this bad news-moment. And then a central News programme suggested that Labour aren’t interested in NHS as the Labour leader hasn’t been photo’d in an A&E recently (which btw screws up A&E’s on the day massively).

Me? Tired of all this.

And it won’t end on Friday (when we wake up to whatever happens).
    The divisions are getting deeper and deeper.

We’re not looking at others and seeing ourselves.

sorry, rambling.

Talking of rambling…

syzygy @thane16

@whisht I had a whole post & it was eaten. By your PM, probably.

But Syd? What did I ever do to you, huh? huh?

I’m gonna give you one back. The longest Bon Jovi song I can find! Huh! That’ll do you!

Tories and right-wing Press going with increasingly ‘populist’ messages (ie bigoted/ racist/ lock-’em-up/ scary Marxist Armageddon). But even a PM who won’t acknowledge a photo of a 4 yr old boy with suspected pneumonia, lying on coats on a hospital floor due to lack of beds/funding, isn’t losing votes.

I know you guys didn’t rule the world by being nice. But you took care of your people, I think. Does good overpower evil? I’m a listing ship broken in the wind: I’m not sure I believe that anymore. But I see it in nurses who stay overtime; in a teacher who takes an interest in a shy, scared kid; in doctors who dedicate time, despite their mounting debts, helping injured people after a “senseless attack.”

That Capaldi speech about being kind keeps springing to mind. And I think last year’s Very Nu-Who was bringing up the very messages people needed to hear but without yelling & rampaging & massive distractions by the ….BBC?

The ABC still (I think) has the capacity to continually expose govt cranks but more people are brainwashed into thinking the ABC is some secret satellite of the USSR. Mainly because there’s reds under every bed, still, & naturally, the USSR is basically the same animal.

Music…for no real reason (other than to distract & annoy you!) & because whatever you may think of him, Jon wrote awesome choons. Even Mr Bowie said so….

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

I DO hope you realise I was joking?   Regarding “Syd.”

Also, *PM = Prime Minister. Personally I refer to it as Little Dick. Childish I know. Still.

Half of Roxette, Marie Frederiksson, has died – apparently after a long illness.

Whisht @whisht

@thane16 – well yes I sat through that whole power-ballad from Bon Jovi.
    Sounds like a live recording (or at least they’ve mixed in a crowd).
    There – that’s to prove I really did listen all the way through.

And yes, that serves me right.

:¬~

So when I thought of “rambling” I obviously should have gone with this:

Crunchy garage band. Geeetarr solos. Swearing. A bloody racket.
    What’s not to like?

;¬)

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Awful. I was listening to her literally 3 days ago on Sunday night. Checking out my CDs & bits & bobs.

triffic voice.  It Must Have Been Love also rocketed them up with Christmas For The Broken Hearted.

@whisht  Ah! Yes, this one I know -not the song, though so thanks for that. I heard Kramer was jailed for dealing but ended up playing with Red Rodney who’d been in the Parker Quintet (loved the ‘Bird’). A friend is a big Bragg fan & apparently Bragg & Kramer set up Jail Guitar Doors 10 years ago? I had no idea about that.

It’s good to know good musicians aren’t always put to pasture, unless you’re that dude from The Smiths & need  knackermen 🙂

Syzygy Senior

@thane16

You just mention that last one to trigger me, didn’t you?

Whisht @whisht

Hi all.

In UK the “exit polls” are in.

Grim news.

fuckety fuckety fuck.

“Misery is rushing down on me…”

This.

syzygy @thane16

I thought this would work or fit the times.

syzygy @thane16

So because of Dracula I thought of the Bernard score which @blenkinsopthebrave might like. Also because of the Quatermass Xperiment & Torture Garden.  Mmm, Torture Garden sounds like ….the name of a band…. 🙂

It’s short but has all the right “ooh, scary! Terrifying moments!!!”

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Man! I didn’t see your reply. Despite the ‘tick’ I’m not getting notifications from the music thread. Possibly because, I’ve been naughty & not nice so yes, a tad of a trigger but also because you know, Thane really liked him & then really despised him. The memes on the internet are pretty funny unless you’re …him. This is like He Who Should Never Be Named.

I was thinking of d’other choon too? JD’s Shadowplay, I think. Can’t remember if it’s correct title ‘n’ all. I remember the harsh, liminal voice. I remember that f’sure.

There’s pub action. A lot of action.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thane16, @whishtet al,

For your consideration:

The CD is regularly played in the Blenkinsop pile.

Apparently there is an effort to get this to Christmas No 1. While I don’t imagine for one second that this will be permitted to succeed, I endorse approve of this effort:

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

Absolutely! In fact, I be a tad envious [ahem] I didn’t put that up before.

It’s his usual arpeggio & chordal treatment but one loves the …..it’s coming ….it’s coming…..chord 1  but not yet…not yet….pedal point it a bit more….& ……da. duuuuum.

OK. I’m being very silly.  It’s terrific & I love it.

@pedant  rough trade, eh? Is this an effort to have the pub in the music hall? 🙂

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Oh Fuck me you owe me a keyboard.

You should tweet that flippin’ everywhere!

@thane16

Rough Trade is probably the most famous label in punk and post-punk.

Already done.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Nope, I didn’t know that.  That’s me told!   Skittering off to do homework, whilst listening to this song live on YT. Thankyup, totally new to me.

Whisht @whisht

ooh – lots of great music here!!

@pedant
    The Cocker is… amazing. I think that’s the word I’m left with.
    How many do I need to buy/ download??!?
    Also the Dixie Chicks – I’ll admit I’m not a fan but always good to need to listen to music I don’t think I’ll like. I need to confront my prejudices far more often and I cannot fault the sentiment in the song!

@thane16 – That Hammer music is wonderful! Its exactly what I have in mind when I think of ‘horror’!! It also somehow conjures up some fantasy-eastern-Europe of castles and mountains and…. things that go bump in the night.

@blenkinsopthebrave – it was great hearing this straight after the Hammer music. A real change and obviously its very Glass!
    Its kinda romantic (though not Romantic) and doom-laden in a reserved way, but with some fluttering hope.. or is it passionate love.. or just a victim?!?

Both of these made me go back and listen to The Thing. I’d not realised it was a Morricone composition! But I think Carpenter probably had a heavy hand on it – if nothing else the motif of the synth-throb. This is a bit long and as its not Morricone’s ‘best evah’ people can feel free to pass! But if you’re somewhere cold wanting to listen to cold, or somewhere hot wanting to chill, this will leave you… freezing.

In terms of Dracula-related songs…. well, this is a bit silly.

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – argh, I missed the Housemartins! You may be interested (or not!) to know that you and this forum has meant that whenever I listen to anything posted (especially by you) I tend to open up another tab for the lyrics!
    And @thane16 – I also missed your Joy Division. I really need to listen to more Joy Division. I wasn’t in to them at the time, but there’s no excuse not listening now.

@whisht

100 plays on Spotify, or a 99p purchase on iTunes.

@whisht

Natalie Maines is a quite extraordinary singer and Emily Robison and Martie Maguire are superb musicians . This is sung entirely at the top of her register and is quite breathtaking (check the lyrics and see what a heartbreaker this song is).

I know I have loaded this up before, but it always make me feel a bit better, and thinking that maybe we could all do with something to make us feel a bit better at the moment, here it is.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave You did, you thought right the 1st time & you’re right the 2nd time (or is that the 3rd?). I was aiming for pithy. Instead you got the pith. 🙂  That was my first ever CD -$29.99.

Thank you. We do need an uplift.

@whisht @pedant

Dixie Chicks

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – thanks again for the Dixie Chicks.
    And thanks for the ever-prompt to check lyrics (I do mean this without any sarcasm or humour or whatever – I know text on a screen and my usual-tone might make it seem something other, but I do genuinely mean it).

I realise that the only thing I have close to the Dixie Chicks in sound terms is REM.
    Or maybe B52s (though they’re more ’50’s but they do have a country twang at times… maybe.)

hmm.
    Thanks again

Whisht @whisht

@blenkinsopthebrave
    You are a wise man.
    Music that makes us feel good.
    A Morricone piece that always makes me smile is this, though its for the visuals too…

The juxtaposition of the sheer beauty of music and Claudia Cardinale to the place she’s landed in… I dunno. I just always liked that.

Whisht @whisht

and other songs I’ve posted before, but are ones that are about feeling better (a feeling I need) and simply joyous.

That share a tuba.

Tuba??

Yeah, tuba.

Whisht @whisht

and something I know I’ve never posted as I only found it the other week(!) while looking for something else.

I need this album!

(not trying to bring the mood down again, but this is a lovely slice of soul)

Arbutus @arbutus

Wow. Logging on to say it’s Christmas and I’ve been thinking about you all, and look, tubas! So great. And scrolling upward, Dixie Chicks. I’ll check in at the Kebab later, but wanted to leave this here. I hope I haven’t shared this before, but I may have. One of the great drops in Christmas music. 🙂

@whisht

No problem.

This is an earlier Dixie Chicks, a version of a Patty Griffin song that I am fairly sure is craftily obscene, in the same way – but rather darker – as Roam, discussed upthread:

And the glorious White Trash Wedding:

@whisht

Yes! I love both the music and the film of Once Upon a Time in the West. Fabulous.

It would be easy to offer another bite of the score, but what you provided is the best. Instead, I offer up one of my favourite film scores of all time, by Erich Wolfgang Korngold. The music is a perfect counterpoint to the movie. I cannot say more, because of…spoilers. (But anyone who has seen the movie will know how the romanticism of the music relates to the…conflicted emotions (can’t say more) of the movie. I know the clip is 7 minutes long, but it is worth it.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.