General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 480 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  idiotsavon 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Peace Frog @peacefrog

@arbutus

Thank you kind sir.

I live in Illinois where last week we went from 55F to 20F the next day. Also got 4 inches of rain in less than 12 hours that changed into snow as the temps dropped. So I had 1/3 of my backyard covered in a good 2-3 inches of standing water with a few inches of straight ice on top of it.

Pretty sloppy out there still so…..My name is Mud!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Miss Polly Jean Harvey ladies & gentleman….Rid of Me.

…. good luck with that. 😀

@thane16

@whisht

@arbutus

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Well, it was an interesting year, but I think this is my tune of the year, partly because its message is “Deal Wiv It”.

It’s like The Streets over a distorted, but pretty obvious, remix of New Order’s Blue Monday – with a bit of Talking Heads’ Psycho Killer thrown in. Those are two of my favourite tunes so of course I’m gonna like it.

Is pretty cool (in a weird way – but I like weird). Mura Masa – ‘Deal Wiv It’ with slowthai:

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Anybody like the Thin White Duke?

Okay, anybody else afraid of Americans?

How about our Carrot-top in Chief?

Afraid of him? I’m afraid he might do something really stupid.

What’s that?

Oops! He already did.  😀

@thane16

@whisht

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@peacefrog

Eh? I’m kinda the chief. Do you mean me? If so, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

No Sir! Not you. @craig

Was referring to my President Trump. 😀

I don’t like bringing up his name. It’s like Superman & our yellow sun.

He thrives on it.

Sorry for any confusion.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Trying to save this frog from being skinned
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@peacefrog

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, online conversations can get confusing, or misinterpreted, if we don’t make ourselves clear.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@craig

Yes, hard to pick up intent, tone and sarcasm sometimes.

I try to use emoticons for that but it doesn’t always work.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@craig

You don’t wear a bright orange floppy wig like the Trumpster do you?

Not even on Halloween?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@peacefrog

I would never dare walk out in public with hair like the Trumpster. I mean, would anybody, even Trump? 🙂

I haven’t had hair since I was 30, which is almost 20 years ago.

On Halloween I choose hair appropriate costumes. Hence Ming The Merciless. I also do a great Clint Eastwood (cos I can grow a beard in a day), but I need a cowboy hat for that. I do a good Nosferatu too.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@craig

It costs the American tax payers 1.3 million dollars per year for armed security details for Trump’s wig alone. Not to mention that giant ego that has it’s own separate private jet.

Hmm… trying to think of something for this….

I know!

Ozzy used to be a deep thinker…

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Enjoy!

@thane16

@whisht

@arbutus

I don’t have to tell you things are bad, everyone knows things are bad….

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Let us hope that the Mango Mussolini may at least be distracted from pressing the Button (no, not the one to summon his Diet Cokes) or

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

Greetings!

Tell me about it…

But don’t worry just yet, things are looking up. Time to grab my sunglasses, I’m starting to get a glare.

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Not sure what happened there, but the video didn’t embed. Try again

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Either way, as the slogan for a certain UK cell phone network proclaimed a few years ago, ‘The future’s bright, the future’s Orange’ , but I’m thinking heavily smoked glass rather than shades 🙂

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

I watched it from my email link.  🙂

Only Sir Elton could get away with bright orange sunglasses.

In fact I think he has.

Couldn’t see any in this video though.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

@thane16

@whisht

Take me to your leader….

Just as easy to dance to as “Rock Lobster”.

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Meanwhile on this side of the Pond, with Brexit looming and our very own irresponsible mophead and his crew in charge, this comes to mind.

Not that I dislike my home city (where, for what it’s worth, a clear majority voted to remain in the EU), but if I were younger and had the opportunity ….

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

Axl could write some good songs…when he wasn’t busy being a jerk. 😀

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16

@whisht

I don’t want to “hippie” it up too much in here.

But I thought @thane16 might like this one.

See if you can recognize the sound of a gyroscope being used on a piano wire to create a sound that probably didn’t even exist at the time.

This whole ablum is worth listening to.

syzygy @thane16

@peacefrog I think Mum would say “the sound was found as early as the 3rd century BC in…Crete.” Maybe. But we all love The Dead. And it resonates 🙂

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16 @whisht @arbutus

Hello there young Thane,

I think you are ahem….”dead” on with your thoughts about what your Mom would say. 😃

It’s 4am here and I should be asleep but when duty calls, I must be there to be a new version of  the Merry Pranksters. I must spread the message… The good word, if you will.

If you enjoy the Grateful Dead, then you must have heard these songs by now.

Cosmic Charlie

Mountains of the Moon

And this one with our troubadour….

Peace Frog @peacefrog

And the piano sounds that I was talking about are found at the very end of that song…as it transitions to “The Faster We Go The Rounder We Get”.

It’s the crackling sound like a guitarist taking his pick and slowly scraping it down a low string.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16 @mudlark @whisht @arbutus

Sad news for fans of American folk music, David Olney passed away peacefully on stage during a performance at a festival in Florida last night. It was reported that he collapsed on stage but fans said that the singer said “I’m sorry” and lowered his head.

Never dropped his guitar.

This is what the late Townes Van Zandt said about Olney –

“Any time anyone asks me who my favorite music writers are… I say Mozart, Lightnin Hopkins, Bob Dylan and Dave Olney. Dave Olney is one of the best songwriters I’ve ever heard — and that’s true. I mean that from my heart.”

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Dangling participle had too much dang...not enough ling
    Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16 @mudlark @whisht @arbutus

These two bands always remind me of each other. Not an exact match in musical style, but in musical spirit they are congruent.

Remedy – The Black Crowes

Up on Cripple Creek – The Band

Whisht @whisht

@peacefrog – wow, lots of music for me to catch up on!

Apologies I haven’t been around to listen or ping-pong back, but its obvious we have a lot of overlapping tastes (though I’ll admit to never yet getting into the Grateful Dead, so will listen to those songs to get inspired!!).

Will try and listen soon and try and ‘reply’ with songs.

:¬)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16

No worries, if I’m posting too much music too often could somebody let me know. Not sure of protocol on these forums.

Until then….

Those Dead songs are from their early “Psychedelic” period. They changed into a Americana/folk band soon afterwards. Crosby, Stills and Nash were a big influence on these next ones from “Workingman’s Dead”

You told me goodbye

How was I to know

You didn’t mean goodbye

You meant please don’t let me go

I was having a high time

Living the good life

Well I know…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Some light housekeeping
    Whisht @whisht

So, here’s one for Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror.

But that’s just for my bonkers “all the episodes are linked to Kraftwerk songs” theory.

;¬)

Here’s a couple of very different ‘electric’ tunes.
    Spiritualised’s is a bit of a roller (cruel edit at end)

and something maybe more cerebral from Reich (with a connection to everyone’s fave 90’s bliss-out choon)

But maybe this is the worst least likely to be called to mind (and I don’t think this is the one I remember from the Electro tape we had), but here it is embedded in all its ‘glory’.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16 @arbutus

Hmm…I watched the episode last night and besides really liking it overall, my favorite part was when Graham called Edison and Tesla “AC/DC”.  😀

I put on my finest thinking cap and then had to toss it when it caught on fire from the very stuck and grinding gears in my head. Thankfully I’ve slightly recovered since then. Enough to post this song at least.

Ever hear this one from Gary Numan when he was with Tubeway Army?

Are Friends Electric?

Whisht @whisht

he he yes @peacefrog – that’s kinda’ve a classic!

;¬)

Here’s one (similar era) for the Fourth Doctor’s Birthday.

Happy birthday Tom

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16

It’s a classic in my book, but you can never tell what somebody else’s musical background is like. As you can see, mine is all over the place.

I was hanging out with the Metal heads, the Goths, the skateboarders and the stoner burnouts all at the same time.

Getting back to something @mudlark and I were discussing. I just remembered this song that would be perfect if everything went kablooey.

Let’s hope mutual understanding and reason wins out in the end though.

And this song of theirs is more hopeful.

syzygy @thane16

@peacefrog

Did someone mention Thin White Duke? This is mum’s favourite -amongst (or ‘among’ we need a @pedant when we NEED one!) or one of her favourites!

But I’m not sure which is best…..

Syxygy the young one

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16

Which is your favorite Bowie song?

Here’s one of mine.

syzygy @thane16

Trie to post in the Pub. But the innernet decided against it! No-one has said that people shouldn’t have oxygen now.  As said, the Doctor would give her O2 to anyone else first. The poor are oppressed & speeches to everyone are still necessary. One won’t change the oppression of the other. But it’s a common ideal to be humane -that we try to ameliorate issues by pointing out all our problems. And it’s kind to stand as ignoring is worse.

When our government does nothing, when the rich do nothing, it’s not wrong to protest with or ‘for’ others but to  assure certain groups who are affected, ahead of time. The fireys are happy someone’s trying something (they’re stuck in between fires)

And yup this post might disappear too. And it’s waaay too long. So, to music.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16 @whisht

Yes, I do love Phil Ochs and yes I’m a proud liberal.

This probably all leads back to this guy so…cut to the chase.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Flipping the flag upside down
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Flipping the flag upside down
    Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark @thane16 @whisht

And the Nobel prize goes to….

This guy.

Congratulations this guy…. you get it.

He gets it folks…. the maker of this video gets it, a big round of applause for this guy.

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Thanks for that; it certainly succeeded in raising a smile, although it also has the disconcerting effect of assembling the word salad into something which seems to make sense.  Normally just the sound of *that* voice brings me out in a rash, and any attempt to parse what he says gives me a headache!

As an aside, I like the moniker. I do my best for frog conservation in my garden, with moderate success, and I’m all in favour of peace, whether on a world scale or on this forum.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

Glad you liked it, I found that one by accident.

Only real problem with that video is that even though it’s a dig at him, the bright orange Bozo would take the entire thing if he saw it, and turn it around into glowing praise for himself somehow someway.

Even to the point of trying to use it as his re-election anthem.   🙁

Whisht @whisht

still need to catch up on loads of songs here!

But wanted to say well done to @jimthefish

This isn’t a great song (unfortunately) but the title at least makes sense

(but for a really good ‘doctor’ song then feel free to shimmy along to this!)

congratulations!

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@whisht

Worth it for the title alone. Many thanks indeed….

Arbutus @arbutus

Wow, I can’t keep up with all the excitement around here! So much fabulous stuff. My American-born husband introduced me to Tom Lehrer many years ago. My father-in-law is tone-deaf and has little interest in music, but as a Harvard-educated liberal, he greatly approved of Lehrer, and those songs were basically my husband’s nursery rhymes. I, of course, was singing a weird mix of Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, the Fifth Dimension, and Englebert Humperdinck (the crooner, not the Hansel and Gretel guy) at a similar age. Oh, and I can recall dancing around my grandmother’s living room singing along to “Delilah” by Tom Jones. I can’t imagine I understood it!

@mudlark   Love the Animals. Here, for @peacefrog as well:

Arbutus @arbutus

@thane16   I think Mum would say “the sound was found as early as the 3rd century BC in…Crete.”

This made me smile. I once heard June Tabor introduce a song that she dated back to the 19th century. When she began, I recognized as originating in the Renaissance. Nothing’s as new as you think it is. Maybe some 16th-century listener knew it from his grandfather! I don’t remember what the song was, but it would have been something along these lines:

Arbutus @arbutus

@peacefrog   I hadn’t heard about David Olney. Heartbreaking.

I love The Band, have posted them on here before. In amongst all the perfect bits, I’m a big fan of Garth Hudson’s organ playing.

Also, nice little Talking Orange Heads mashup.  🙂

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16  @mudlark  @whisht   @arbutus

Great minds think alike because I was on my way here to post this. Dr. Demento anyone? These are both from his show.

Also…this! Can’t believe I found this one. God, I remember watching this when MTV first showed it back in the early 80s. Talk about bringing a smile to someone’s face. 😀

I was like…did I just see what I thought I did?

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@arbutus

Drummer here so….Levon Helm. Any drummer that also sings is amazing in my eyes. I can’t do it. Already doing 5 things at once trying to play the drums. And the vocals and rhythm track don’t always match well. Usually they are on different beats.

Do your thing Levon… R.I.P.

Mudlark @mudlark

@arbutus

As you are presumably aware how ancient I am it will probably not come as a surprise that the music which is most evocative for me is of the period roughly from the late 1950s to the early 1970s so, off the top of my head, including Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, the whole Folk revival scene, The Animals,The Kinks, The Beatles, The Stones, etc. etc. Not that I have been totally switched off since then, but this forum is proving an education 🙂 Voices have always been an important factor for me and I very much liked Tom Jones’s voice, though not so much his choice of songs. And if you were as young as you imply, I very much hope that you didn’t understand the lyrics of Delilah !

But for the ultimate jam session there is this

And this particular song has a Doctor Who connection, since it is referenced in The Magician’s Apprentice.

And for anyone who hasn’t seen the whole thing, the backing singers included k.d.lang

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

Watching the Orange Aberration droning about his devotion to the environment at Davos whilst knowing how his administration (if it can be dignified with that term) has gutted the departments and legislative measures set in place to protect the health of the environment in the USA, that Tom Lehrer song was what came immediately to mind 🙁

Mudlark @mudlark

Just in case there is anyone unaware of the context of the video I posted above, it is the finale of the concert Roy Orbison and Friends: a Black and White Night, an assembly of the great and the good which is well worth checking out.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark  @arbutus

I can’t be the only one who is grateful that Roy “The Voice” Orbison had the chance to hook up with these other dudes before he was gone, Tom Petty too.  🙂

@thane16

This one is for me because…I don’t need no stinkin’ reason to post this. Just enjoy the madness.

Young Thane needs to hear this if he hasn’t before. For strictly educational purposes of course.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.