General Music thread 4

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 4

This topic contains 480 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  idiotsavon 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

We might need to continue this on the sofa if we go too far into it, but I just wanted to add this.

You know that any President doesn’t give a hoot about any Federal Department when they put the foxes in charge of the hen house. Know what I mean? The people he put in charge of the main departments hate the government and think that government is the problem. They’ve been gutting and systematically rolling back any kind of oversight and protection in almost all of them.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16

Can either of you tell me why this song was not a big hit off of this record?

I mean Eddie is going nuts here, the riff is better than “You Really Got Me”, I think.

syzygy @thane16

@peacefrog

In one, it’s that whilst people love a swagger & enjoy the “going nuts,” part, they don’t like a swagger to stay one. It has to have more than “nuts” & swagger. A good album, but not a great album?

Old Syzygy.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

For being their first record, I’d say it was pretty good.

Guns & Roses Appitite for Destruction was another good debut.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@thane16  @whisht

I was there for this. It was as wild as it looks.

By the end of the riot, the cops brought out the firehoses.

They maybe got through not even half of their set.

Place was brand spanking new when this happened. Owners sold the place not long afterwards. They rebuilt the whole shebang.

Saw Rush there later on. Now there are some professionals. Sounded soooo good.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Some quasi-space/Doctor Who related stuff.

@thane16  @whisht @mudlark  @arbutus

But first I have to take care of my new friends…anybody that I’ve tagged thank you so much and I’ve probably left out somebody. Sorry if that was you. I’ve been up since 4am trying to shovel all of this ice out of my driveway. We have a good 3 inches of a slushy mushy mess out there.

You know that I care what happens to you

And I know that you care for me too

So I don’t feel alone

Or the weight of the stone

Now that I’ve found somewhere safe

To bury my bone

And any fool knows a frog needs a home

A shelter from pigs on the wing….

Think this would have been too “On the nose” for the “Empress of Mars” episode?

Still fits it like a glove. 🙂

Little known fact, this is the only Pink Floyd song with all five members on it. Not even I knew that. 😀

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!
    Whisht @whisht

So, I’ve managed to slog my way through a lot of backlog of music (though not the most recent ones)!

@arbutus – awww Ella – smoky precision. And yes, I’m overly happy with that description. What tone.
    @craig – Maps is a great song; LOVED Mura Masa (reminded me of Sleaford Mods!).
    @phaseshift – that is an amazing mashup! I loved the Slayer one too! And really glad and appreciate you being back.
    @peacefrog – loads of songs(!) I love Jimi live; That Trumping Heads video is great! Neil Young with a good backing Band for once! no idea about Van Halen (I really am left cold by a lot/most heavy metal!). But will always listen to @thane16 so the fact the song doesn’t go anywhere..?
    Oh and I have good memories of Cowboy Junkies (I saw their 1st UK gig by accident) and an early PJ Harvey gig where she… she was awesome.

@everyone else who I didn’t make notes about – that’s more to do with access to a pen than a comment on the music!

Btw there is an interesting doc on BBC iPlayer (however that manifests itself in various regions) by Stewart Copeland (ie Police drummer). I’ve just seen the first episode and its a “why do we have music?” [a daft question and one that no sane person would ever ask, nor try to write the history of, no matter how abridged).

{ahem}

I particularly liked that he interviewed Pinker then stitched him up for being an eejit.
    ‘oh, so that wasn’t empirical that was a thought/ point of view you had?’ [he didn’t say but showed instead].

Sorry but Pinker and Gladwell get on my chest area.

Loved seeing Bobby McFerrin making kids happy through music too.

Overall a ‘good thing’ to watch and not too taxing. But as I may have said in a previous post, David Byrne’s TED talk and book on this is probably the best I encountered (though too late before embarrassing myself!)

Whisht @whisht

So, its Saturday.

Get those glad-rags on!

(ok ok, basically this came on my walkman earlier today and I thought “gawd this is a lot better than I remember”)

Whisht @whisht

…. and later that evenin’….

(tbh I blame my sister although sadly I never appreciated her taste back when I was a kid)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

They could all sing, the whole family.

Mudlark @mudlark

@peacefrog

The Wall of Voodoo video stirred an atavistic memory, and I’ve only just realised what it was.

And I apologise in advance

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@mudlark

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Listen to the similarities between these two songs. Yes, I know Mexicali is in the States…but close enough.

Arbutus @arbutus

In the spirit of Robbie Burns Day and Lunar New Year. Wanted something a little more Asian but couldn’t find the right thing, so here’s some Scottish big band instead. Gung haggis fat choy! (That is a real thing, btw.)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@arbutus @mudlark @whisht @thane16

I think I might be on to something here…

Timeless Child equals a Child in Time?

Maybe not.

You guys do realize that it was me in the “It takes you Away” episode. The BBC blew their budget on fancy new cameras and big name guest stars.

Couldn’t afford to get their first choice for the part, Kermit the Frog. So yeah….it’s me the transdimensional  frog.  😀

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Peace Frog. Reason: Everybody else is doing it...so why can't I?
    Peace Frog @peacefrog

First thoughts on tonight’s episode…

“Judoon platoon, near the lagoon.”

That look on Graham’s face when he realizes he’s been mistaken for the Doctor once again…priceless.  🙂

Possible parallel universes.

John Frusciante is quite the guitar player.

Whisht @whisht

So, For Fugitive of the Judoon, methinks Chibnall is again channeling his inner Kraftwerk.

Two Doctors you say?

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

…and that made me think of this.

Which is completely forgotten and underrated.

Everything the Doctor knows is a lie so…Truth be known.

Pear Jam is the backing band on this entire record.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave

It is canon that the Master likes the Scissor Sisters – which might be why I always listen to this one and think of the Master and the Doctor returning to Gallifrey. But it fits particularly well with the current arc.

Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – I was trying to find some Chinese/Scottish mashup and wasn’t able to!
    But thanks for the Gung Haggis Fat Choy link – they have haggis wonton (and no, its not one tonne of haggis!). They even manage to have dim sum turnip!
    And there was I thinking there was no way to mix haggis and Chinese food!
    ;¬)

@peacefrog – thanks for the Deep Purple… not a band I know much of (obviously they’ve always been around!). I guess I just never developed that heavy prog thing, though I did dabble with Floyd and other things… But its always good to listen and see if it finally bites!
    Oh, and that Creature from the Black Lagoon at least has more motivation than the Dregs…
    I know the Red Hot Chilli Pepper song but didn’t know its name – nice ‘parallel universe’ track!
    Thanks for the Neil Young song too – not heard that album and interesting to not use Crazy Horse (who are stodgy at best). I’ll check it out.

@bluesqueakpip – didn’t know the Master liked Scissor Sisters! Hilarious (good choon though)!

;¬)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

Please do, I bought it when it came out but I don’t think anybody else did.  🙂

Reminds me of this record which is great from start to finish, but it never gets the praise of Full Moon Fever.

It’s more mellow and reflective, which is probably why I like it so much.

Arbutus @arbutus

@peacefrog    I didn’t know that was Pearl Jam. Cool! And Tom Petty, so beloved and so missed.

@whisht    Whenever I hear the “one tonne” joke, I think of this old SNL bit. For some reason, it has stayed with me when better (probably) bits have vanished in the mists of time. Guantanamera!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@arbutus  @whisht

“I didn’t know that was Pearl Jam. Cool! And Tom Petty, so beloved and so missed.”

Oh yes he’s missed.

Nobody knows that’s Pearl Jam because I don’t think they are listed on the liner notes or anything. But you can tell it’s them from the playing style.

Here’s the guitarist for Pearl Jam and Layne Staley of Alice in Chains. Mad Season.

winston @winston

@arbutus   Thank you for the SNL  clip. I giggled out loud until my OH came in to see what I was laughing at. I remember watching that years ago and it is still as funny.

Whisht @whisht

@peacefrog – not heard Wildflowers (Tom Petty) before; its rather pretty and it oddly sounds familiar, so I wonder if its a traditional melody..? (I won’t invoke @thane16 ‘s or @arbutus ‘ and others’ insanely hooge knowledge of earlier music – its not just SNL skits! ;¬) )
    btw I agree that only fans of Pearl Jam knew they were on the Neil Young album at the time, and as you say maybe not much wider than that.

Whisht @whisht

Now this band may be considered (cruelly) as Flaming Lips-Lite but they do prove that really good choruses are a bloody good thing.

This song is all chorus.

And its a bloody good thing.

And makes me smile

;¬)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

That’s all I meant. The fans knew. They know everthing.  🙂

Wildflowers is so good from start to end, it’s crazy how good it sounds. Great production, clear instruments, vocals audible but not to far in the front.

Live in Europe

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht  @thane16  @arbutus

One of the best videos I’ve ever seen, from back when they put some thought into the stuff.

Directed by French film director Michel Gondry.

Best comment?

“Don’t forget to watch Tank Girl !…. Kiddies”

Just brought it back around to Doctor Who with the Rachel Talalay mention…..   😀

Might as well put this one up too…it’s awesome also.

<div id=”toolbar” class=”style-scope ytd-comment-action-buttons-renderer”></div>

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht  @thane16

“Not heard Wildflowers (Tom Petty) before; its rather pretty and it oddly sounds familiar, so I wonder if its a traditional melody..?”

It sounds like that because that’s the way Tom Petty wrote his songs. From the heart…

But I looked it up, all songs on this album were written by Petty except for a couple by him and Mike Campbell.

This is the biggest hit off of the Wildflowers record. Video is perfect too.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16

Don’t know how much airplay this got anywhere…

My friends and I had it on cassette tape.

Mudlark @mudlark

On this sad day for the UK, in defiance, the anthem of the EU

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@mudlark

That was inspirational. Thanks so much for posting it. I have followed the whole sorry saga–but from afar. The clip gave me a sense of how it can connect with those who have to live with the reality.

As I watched it, I thought of the following clip. I know it is fictional, but it is also inspiring, as it would have been to many viewers in 1942. And your clip captured the same emotion.

Whisht @whisht

@peacefrog
    Ooh never even heard of the Toadies before! Thanks for that!
    And always love a bit of Bjork – even when I don’t like some of her music, I love that she writes it! Always pushing herself. Wonderful. (and always brings back watching a bonkers interview she did when in the Sugarcubes talking about a TV… When she says “city” I fell in love a bit more!)

Oh, and wasn’t saying anything to diss Tom Petty. Certainly not the Paul Simon “oh did Carty play that to me?” thing ;¬)
    I guess its just the folky tinge made me think of other folk songs (but can’t figure which). But love hearing new songs and reading about it just now it seems it came to him fully formed too!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht @thane16

Sugarcubes!

Hit!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Okay, so major problem with micro-plastics in the new episode. Sounds like a job for the…..

Toxic Avenger!

Whisht @whisht

ha ha @peacefrog – I love a lyric that is completely exposition!
    Though I think I’m more of a Swamp Thing person myself (though not as cerebral!).

Weirdly I don’t think I’ve ever seen the video for Hit.
    Which makes me think just how did I ever hear those Sugarcubes songs??!?

I guess I must’ve bought them or had someone make a mixtape for me.
    Its all a bit blurry now….

:¬)

Whisht @whisht

So, for Praxeus (bold as love? nah, though what it does reference I’m a bit mystified about…) it seems that Chibnall is a real geek of Kraftwerk.

He’s referencing Florian Schneider’s solo work!

;¬)

(The beginning made me think of this but these songs are very different)

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

“Weirdly I don’t think I’ve ever seen the video for Hit. Which makes me think just how did I ever hear those Sugarcubes songs??!?”

They had stopped showing videos by the time that came out. 🙂

Still going with Kraftwerk?

You can find the “Who” connection yourself.

Song is too good and I’m too tired.

Whisht @whisht

he he @peacefrog – I have my bonkers theory and will flog it till it stops moving!

Then i’ll kick it and cry “see – it’s still alive!”

;¬)

But you’ve got me on that Kraftwerk track – I can’t make it fit with the series or episodes (I should think harder I know!). I’m sure it will be a face-palm moment!

But yes, I guess I’m hoping at least one of the next episodes deals with motorways, cycling as environmentally friendly or… Autons!

syzygy @thane16

Great to see all this music!

I love this song, but this week it has resonance for a dear friend.

Thane16  (old and young Syzygy)

syzygy @thane16

Not sure if @pedant posted this? He nudged me earlier about Arvo Part. So Da Pacem…

winston @winston

@thane16  Pink Floyd was part of the soundtrack of my youth and I feel like I have heard this song a thousand times when I was younger. I have not listened to it for a long time and I find it so sad and heartbreaking now that I can barely listen(but I did). I am always surprised at how music affects me differently at different times of my life. When I was young it was just a cool song that I liked but now it is a story that affects me very emotionally. The older you get the more loss is a part of your life and there are so many people “I wish were here” Since feelings are the stuff of life thank you .

It was my own fault for listening, I knew what I was in for but it is such a beautiful song.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@whisht

I was thinking Autons when I heard micro plastics. 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@peacefrog – indeed, if I hadn’t found the Florian one I was planning on that ol’ Auton fallback Showroom Dummies and say “well, the Doctor did mention them!”
    ;¬)

Whisht @whisht

@thane16 – hey you! Hope everything is good with you.
    Love the music!
    Da Pacem is just…. {sigh} and now I realise there’s an entire album called Da Pacem and not just the opening piece! Usually I wait for serendipidy when buying music (ie it turns up at a charity shop) but on this occasion I reckon I need to actually get it!

Sometimes I have Arvo Part on headphones when I’m reading but if this comes on (or a few others) I have to stop and listen.
    Then I stick a bit of Eno on, as its less likely to intrude!

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Forgot the obvious..

.@whisht

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

@thane16 Thank you so much for the Floyd – such a beautiful and moving track. I know it was posted with me in mind – my kid brother died almost a week ago. Expected, as he’d been diagnosed with terminal cancer the summer before last but still. Always sudden. We’re all doing OK, in the circs, but a lot of the time it just doesn’t feel real, so life goes on until you’re ambushed by the realisation. Taking solace, as always, in music and also in Who.

Whisht @whisht

@cathannabel
    I am truly sorry for your loss.
    I’ve lost parents, relations and friends but not a sibling.
    I don’t have words. But I also don’t have appropriate music.

@thane16 rightly gave Arvo Part. If she hadn’t, that particular piece may have been what I would have posted here.

I tried finding music and am here crying: for you, for my parents and for friends.

This music (lyrics etc) is probably inappropriate, but its the music that I have that brings me yearning for someone that is beyond reach.

take care and all my love.

winston @winston

@cathannabel   I am so sorry for the loss you have suffered. I understand completely that feeling of being in a fog and trying to get clear of it. There is little I can say that will help you get through this except I am thinking of you. We will be here anytime you need us to be.

syzygy @thane16

@cathannabel  @winston It is a soulful piece. I hope it adds a small measure of comfort and the knowledge that we love you.  Solace isn’t always easy to find. Sometimes it’s in a familiar burst of confidence but nearly always it takes time, measure by measure, to find peace.

When I was young it was just a cool song that I liked but now it is a story that affects me very emotionally. The older you get the more loss is a part of your life and there are so many people “I wish were here” Since feelings are the stuff of life..

Absolutely, I feel this way too! Feelings & emotions, life, sorrow, death..these are the stuff of life. To feel emotions, to admit them in, to examine them, is part of a life well lived.

It doesn’t lessen the pain but it might show our children that you can’t negotiate with  emotions. They’re like the main ingredient of a good meal. I think as we age we feel, differently & yet the distance between objects & memories seems closer. I’m reminded of my mum in claustrophobic conditions, in the grip of an exigent nightmare, almost convulsing with nausea. The act of my dad’s broad hand, covering her own delicate one, removed the burden & she’d be renewed with strength, her face normal in colour; breathing, rhythmic.

As the years passed, she’d admit that relying on dad like that, was OK. That he had his own very well camouflaged (albeit ‘patrician’) fears & eventually I summoned the ability to help her when dad, now quite ill, was no longer the acutely confident person she’d married.

I mimicked his tender glance, my hands trembling over my mother’s & in that moment, we both felt fiercely honest, our lives no longer separated by time; two help-meets one for another.

Syzygy the Older One. 000xxx

Whisht @whisht

so, music for ‘Can You Hear Me?’

Obviously there’s a Kraftwerk connection, though I’ve struggled to find one.
    I mean, there must be – its not like Chibnall would go to the trouble of finding links and then just forget or use other songs by random bands.

I mean, that kind of lack of consistency would be…

Anyway.
    I’ve struggled and am avoiding the obvious ‘home’ one as I’m guessing that’s for the finale (not a spoiler, but surely The Doctor goes home at some stage??).

So, here is the eerie Mitternacht

These songs by other artists did pop into my head, but I’m not really very good with lyrics so maybe they’re not good choices!
    However, here is The Hurting by Tears For Fears and Lost & Found by Lianne La Havas.
    Both quite sensitive in their way.

But if you like your geetar alt/Rock (Post-Rock?) then turn it up to full volume for this nightmarish piece by Slint. Honestly, loud.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 481 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.