Heaven Sent

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Heaven Sent

This topic contains 628 replies, has 93 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 601 through 629 (of 629 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@pedant

Thank you for that! It works really well.

But I was thinking of Lie to Me?

Where Ford is dying to be a vampire?

You have a choice, you don’t have a good choice but you have a choice and you’re opting for mass murder & nothing you say is gonna make that OK.”

@Thane @missrori

Yeah good one. And in the episode called – aptly enough  – Choices there is this entire exchange, which covers pretty well every base of who gets to choose while – with hindsight – teeing up what it can lead to.

The point being, that you don’t do the right thing to earn a reward. You do it because it is the right thing, irrespective of cost or reward.

Everything else is just wage slavery.

(It’s almost as if Moff has paid attention to the storytelling doors Whedon kicked open)

Anonymous @

@pedant  @missrori

Agreed.

Yeah, and Buffy knew this already while still in high school -Oz also, not to mention Willow and probably even Zander. (I think it’s an X but I get red squiggles).

Kicking open doors is mad on. I was reading some of the tropes (I think they are that) on BuffWikiquotes during a boring lesson of …something and the things Joss Whedon did were unbelievable. Really and truly. I don’t appreciate them all yet. I ‘ve seen them twice but the ideas that rip thru the whole fabric of each season are so clever, so able to deliver masses of plot with little words and conversations between people (as opposed to action or exposition) that it changed my life.

Thank you.

Missy @missy

Its taken me over 45 minutes to catch up with all your posts and I’m astonished at the amount of thought that has gone into them.

Analysis was never a talent of mine, so I have nothing to contribute.  All I can say, is that I don’t think any of the episodes are complicated. I find them pretty straight forward and, in my opinion, the Doctor did win. It simply depends on peoples definition of ‘winning.’

Anonymous @

@missy

Oh, me too. Not at all complicated.

television should never be complicated. Otherwise who would watch it? Too much hard work, that. Pretty much nothing is really complicated.

Cheers!

Missy @missy

@thane15:  Sometimes it’s good thing having to think too.

Wrong thread I know, but a case in point is Sherlock 4.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

is it?

Mmm. Maybe.

(I found a very complicated message in the inbox which found its way to us -but not to the site? Did you break the internet again? 🙂 )

I think if a thing is posted, pre-deletion, it ends up being auto-sent.

All’s good.

I crash constantly.

Missy @missy

@thane15:

So sorry for delay. I did send a PM, but not you.  Very strange.

And NO, I didn’t break the internet *big grin* I haven’t got the expertise required.

Thank you for letting me know.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

breaking the internet’s pretty complicated.

Missy @missy

@thane15:  The whole thing can be mind boggling.

Missy

Anonymous @

Just researching this. At 10:28, first scene in the Tardis mind palace, there’s a photograph on the Tardis wall. The background of the photo appears to be the classic Tardis interior. Anyone know who the photo is of?

Kharis @kharis

@morpho Rembrant

@mersey and a few other members have a lot of interesting ideas surrounding that.

Anonymous @

@kharis — Thanks, I’m digging through that now. Reading back, I got the impression from @ichabod that the Rembrandt portrait features in (his audio-only) season 10? Hell of a coincidence if I read that right.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

From Peter Capaldi. And Happy Birthday to him!

From Peter Capaldi

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Heaven Sent

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just in case the tweet gets deleted. Steven Moffat’s mood-setter. “My fave piece of music ever – listened to it a lot writing Heaven Sent. By coincidence it was in editor Will Oswald’s temp score. It’s a tribute to the genius Murray Gold that I ended up loving The Shepherd’s Boy just as much.”

Missy @missy

@craig
    Emperor<

Thank you Craig, beautiful musical score for Heaven sent.
    Also thanks for Peter’s letter. it’s made me miss Doctor Who even more.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Late to this one too, although I did more or less watch it ‘live’.

Heaven Sent is actually a really difficult story to talk about as it’s so unique, such a one-off. Others in the watchalongs, like Vincent and the Doctor and The Doctor’s Wife, also have very unique and special aspects but they still seem to exist within the general narrative of the programme. Heaven Sent, like Listen and Midnight, are more experimental and seem to demand to be discussed on their own terms.

The obvious reference point, aside from the highly effective writing is Capaldi’s performance. This could have become very stagey and static but there’s always a kinetic energy to the episode. This is largely thanks to Rachel Talalay’s brilliant direction but also, of course, to Capaldi’s deft performance. It’s also a nicely defining episode for 12. By the end of this episode, you get a very clear sense of who this Doctor is. It is, in fact, an episode that perhaps could only have been made with 12. It’s hard to imagine too many other Doctors being able to pull it off.

But as others have said, the score deserves some kudos too. Murray Gold has produced some incredible work over the years but this really has to be his defining moment. I can’t think of another episode of Who (or of too many other programmes, in fact) where the score has been such a significant component of the narrative. If you removed it, or changed it in any way, then the entire episode would be different.

janetteB @janetteb

Even later. The only criticism I have about the episode is some of the special effects are dodgy but other than that it is near perfection, one of the best. Agree that few other Doctor’s could have pulled it off. It is hard to imagine anyone but Capaldi in this episode but it was written for him, for his Doctor.

The letter is lovely and so like him to credit all those involved reminding us of the collaborative effort required to produce a brilliant episode. All too often those behind the scenes are overlooked and their contribution not given the credit is is due.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

I can’t think of any other actor who could have been more convincing.

Steven Moffat’s script is one the the best he’s written, if not THE best. There is one line I shall always remember, as my husband died in December.

It’s funny, the day you lose someone isn’t the worst. At least you’ve got something to do. It’s all the days they stay dead.”

Oh so true, heart breakingly so.

Missy

winston @winston

@missy  I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  You must be devastated and I will be thinking of you. I agree that line is so true and so sad and I hope you get through this with the love and help of friends and family. Stay safe.

Missy @missy

@winston

Thank you .

Our children have been a credit to us. Like me, they still can’t believe he has gone.

I think SM must have written that in remembrance of his late mother. He has/had such a way with words.

Missy

Whisht @whisht

@missy

I am so sorry for your loss.
    What you recognised in Moffat’s words (a line I hadn’t remembered) are spot on.

Please take care – you know far more than I will ever know about loss.
    My brother (always far wiser than I) warned me about the waves after losing someone.

I’ll never forget that forewarning, nor be able to thank him enough.

Take care.

Missy @missy

<>@whisht

How many times i have said to someone, “I can imagine how you must feel.”
    I hadn’t a clue, you have to experience something, then you don’t need to imagine, you simply know.
    Your brother was right, grief comes in waves.<
    There has been the  odd occasion when I’ve thought,  ‘I must tell D about that,’ then realised that I can’t.
    Thank you for posting.

Missy<

@missy I’ve just seen this, sorry to hear about your loss. It’s a truly awful thing when you lose someone, but the important thing to remember is that the memories and the good times will always be there.

I’ll never forget the first time I lost someone I was very close to – my Granddad in 2007. He shared a lot of the same interests as me, and I have so many fond memories of him ringing me up after an episode of Doctor Who to get me to explain what on Gallifrey was going on. That’s what I always try to hang onto. Because our loved ones never truly go away. They are always there, in our minds and our memories; they live on in us all.

Missy @missy

@dalekbuster523

You are right of course. I think it’s not being able to share things anymore which is the saddest.

Still, I am ‘getting there’ as our kids like to say. *grins*

Thank you for posting.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@dalekbuster523 That was well said.

@missy  I am sorry for your loss and sorry for not responding earlier. I never know what to say, “the idiot from Galifrey Base says, our loved ones live on in us but nothing can compare to having them with us.

Regards

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Thank you janetteb and forgive me for not responding sooner.

Very quiet on the forum isn”t it.😊

Viewing 29 posts - 601 through 629 (of 629 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.