On The Sofa (6)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (6)

This topic contains 1,013 replies, has 103 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,014 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig @ichabod @purofilion

That is a blast from the past. I was looking at the comments and having a good time because it was written well before Day of the Doctor.

@missy

The subject if how long Peter Capaldi will remain is the subject on the last entries of the News thread (link), so it would be helpful to read those, and keep discussion there I would think.

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  I’m horrified at the thought of an early departure, frankly.  I hope that’s just a trick of impatience that I’m very familiar with (impatience as a trait if a “besetting sin” of mine): you achieve what you’ve been working toward and hoping for, and it’s every bit as wonderful as you thought it would be, and more.  But instead of just basking in the joy of it, you become more and more ware that not only could it be snatched away at any moment (in this case, say, with so much strenuous activity involved, a serious back injury, or one of those terrible microbes that you can pick up while traveling, or — I’ll stop there; this kind of thing comes all too easily to me); but that even in the best of cases, the Great Good Thing has, as all things do, a natural term to it.  It will not last forever.  There will be a final rush to finish a season’s filming, there will be a last few days, there will be a handing over of the TARDIS key — there will be an end.

The evil of impatience is that it keeps kicking you out of the delights of the present and into the inevitable future that you *know* is waiting up ahead.  It steals from you the pleasures of the moment and substitutes a “drumbeat” in the background that surfaces more and more frequently as you go on.  It is a horrible affliction, frankly, and comes with (or maybe causes?) a strong sense of the enormity and reality of that unreal thing, Time, and its major monster, entropy.  Live into middle age, even, and your view will darken naturally with growing awareness of this.  Impatience is a demon that uses that natural element of living in a one-way time-stream to leach as much of the warmth and happiness and sense of achievement out of the present as it can.

The “dourness” of the Scots has that feeling, for me; that sense that no matter how delightful things are right now, it will all End In Tears, because, as Capaldi said in a panel in San Diego, “Life is shit: Scottish philosophy.”  I don’t think he’s thinking of leaving DW.  I think he’s prey to self-torture through this function of impatience, so he’s thinking of how fast it’s all going by (well, that flow-state when you’re doing what you love and doing it well suspends time, but simultaneously encapsulates those moments and whisks them away, like the station your train just pulled out of — and you can never step on the same platform twice, you know).

There are several other afflictions of this kind that are just as damaging — greed, for instance, which means that whatever you’re greedy for, you can *never* get enough of it and you are always in terror of losing however much of it you’ve attained; or constantly running yourself down with a self-deprecating attitude because you never believe you’re good enough and people who praise you will see through you to the fraud you are any minute now.  Every one of these things is a bastard and a thief, a vampire attacking your satisfaction, your contentment, your rejoicing in the fruits of the best in yourself.

Okay, time for breakfast: protein is a good remedy for the glooms.

lisa @lisa

@ichabod Perhaps you can be persuaded to a new default setting other than “impatience’
    It reminds me of the evangelists that are so ‘impatient’ for the rapture nonsense that
    they deny global warming! I personally feel that impatience induces a panic and even
    some bitterness. It robs you! I know its hard trying to readjust to thoughts of well,
    ‘it might not happen the way I want but it might turn out that its just as good or better’.
    Because your right that impatience makes you live in the future instead of the present and
    then you might miss out on some good stuff. We all know people we care about that have this
    impatience thing. ( Well I used to tell my S.O. to go find a quiet corner and punch a pillow
    for a while and after the crazy look he felt calmer 😉 )

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Gawd, rough stuff there! Get some tea into you!

@lisa LOL: “for a while and after the crazy look….” 

Anonymous @

@ichabod

check out post #41985

Just sayin’ 🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  @lisa   Tea, yes!  Otherwise, I’ve found a couple of ameliorating strategies, over the years: one is, meditation of the “pay attention to your immediate surroundings and internal goings-on” variety.  The other is catching myself in the middle of an impatience fit (happens a lot while driving, of course) and tell myself “Ahah, gotcha — that’s you, Impatience, caught you in the act.”  Step out of it, that is.  Feels better, brings the present back.  Giving a bit of money helps too.  I mean the dollar bills I keep in a slot in the car door, to hand out the window to someone holding up a cardboard sign by the road before the stop light changes; or that old guy toiling up a steep street in the afternoon heat –I drove him to his bus stop (he asked me what I thought about “what’s happening in this country” and I said, “Nothing good”, and we had a quiet chat).  Those moments are so real, everything brightens and re-focuses after.

The impatience itself isn’t usually the sort of thing you can shed permanently; it’s part of you.  I think we form these negative habits of thought  as part of the armor we put on as kids to protect ourselves from whatever madness was going on around us.  I can remember thinking, “Yeah, this stinks, but pretty soon I’ll be *grown up* and I won’t be putting up with this crap any more!  So I can put up with it now, because soon it’ll be gone.”  Only when you grow up, you find out how tightly that armor has begun to pinch and restrict you, and also how much it costs you.

Been following the “News” stuff on possible developments, yes; Moffat only recently said *he* certainly didn’t want Capaldi to go, and that there were no job vacancies he was looking to fill.  Really the only concern I have is if Moffat himself decides to go, and Capaldi doesn’t want to do Who without him on as show runner and sometime writer.  That hadn’t occurred to me, but it does now.  I don’t like it.  So.  We’ll see . . .

ichabod @ichabod

@lisa  And the “crazy look” — yaaaahhhHHH!  Like that, yep.   One of my younger sisters has impatience too, and I have seen that crazy look in other places than just in the mirror.  Funniest is how annoyed I get when I recognized impatience in other people — like,”yeah, in that big a hurry, are you, and how about paying attention to right NOW before you kill somebody in your hurry, and nobody else around here has things they need to get to and get done — ”  Ridiculous.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Darl’ when I suggested read that post, I meant that news about Peter Capaldi might be best written about in The News Thread. Some people are not aware of the situation…..: cough: Just sayin’ 🙂

Kindest, puro

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion   Oh crap, sorry — navigating the twists and turns of spoilerism is clearly not yet a skill I’ve acquired.  I thought anything in an episode still to come was the main kind of thing to be shielded, assuming the BBC hadn’t yet alluded to it in the trailers?  Cast news, or comments by the creatives in interviews, I thought were pretty open, since every time someone opens their mouth in public, it seems, speculation starts all over the Doctor-net about what they said and what it “means” — which seemed like fair bonkerizing as part of lots of very public discussion to me, but — isn’t?

Still kind of confused . . . I saw what PhaseShift said, and went over to News, didn’t realize that I was being (very gently, and thanks for that) warned off saying anything more here, since I thought the Sofa was — mm.  Okay.  No possibly spoiler-y details of anything here, then, only on “spoiler” thread — or “News” thread?

???

janetteB @janetteb

@ichabod  Don’t worry. I think@phaseshift was only trying to nudge the conversation re’ Capaldi’s tenure over to the news thread for housekeeping reasons not because it is in any way spoilery for it that were the case he would be dispatching the discussion to the Spoilers threat poste haste.

What we all need right now is some actual Who to discuss. The 19th of September is still so far away. It has been a long wait this year and we are all very understandably getting a tad impatient.

Cheers

Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb  Phew, thanks!  But watch out for that *impatience*, y”all.  (this waiting is plain and fancy KILLING me!)  I need my running, jumping, and standing still, damn it!  Without it, there’s nothing but — but *chocolate*!  And coffee.  The nectarines have already gone off top grade.

Anonymous @

@janetteb @ichabod

You’re quite right Janette it was just for that I would think. Sorry, ichi I didn’t mean to come over all “meany’ on you -see? I do have quite the ‘barbed word’ occasionally which isn’t helpful at all. Apologies.

I guess, I still need “some learnin'” as my old mum would add.

Kindest,

puro.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  Nothing to apologize for, not to worry.  I just thought, “Oops, messed up again — ”  mainly because I’m still not reliably up to speed on internet etiquette, and probably never will be (too late, too LATE!).  Happy to have cues to help steer through it.

Missy @missy

@ichabod

Thank you for answering me. Apologies for taking so long to say so.

Cheers

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  And cheers right back; no problem!

todeledo @todeledo

What episode would you sugest for someone that knows noting of doctor who?

The first episode of a new doctor or something else?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@todeledo – you have two broad options. One, start with the first episode of the after-the-gap series: Rose. Since there’d been a seventeen year gap since the last regular episode, Rose concentrates on explaining the entire concept to new viewers.

Or, start with the first episode of Series 5: The Eleventh Hour. New Doctor, new Companion, new Producer, so the series effectively reintroduces itself.

If someone doesn’t know anything about Doctor Who, I wouldn’t recommend starting with anything before-the-gap. Leave that until they’ve got suitably addicted. 🙂

On other matters, if any of our Scottish contingent are in Glasgow on the afternoon/early evening of Friday 4th, I’m likely to be in that state of limbo known as ‘between trains’.

Possibly for several hours, depending on the ferries. 😕

Anonymous @

@todeledo

I would concur with Pip above. The very first episode ‘Rose’ reintroduced people like me to Who. In the early days of the last century, Who had pretty odd scenery: walls which moved, rocks that bounced, costumes which were pretty mangy but it worked 🙂

With the reboot of 2005 there were fabulous effects and one could really see money had been thrown at it. It was enticing to see everything from a young potential companion: her wonder became ours. The Tardis looked glossy!

I like Season 5 when Mat Smith begins with Amy Pond too: different show runner -all very nerve wracking but a new Doctor was new to the (new) companion and it was a glorious hit. A lot of ‘news’! The venture might have failed as they were hoping for an older actor as a contrast to the dashing David Tennant – but Smith’s ‘old’ eyes and his ability to capture the ‘professorial’ doctor was captivating. My son favours Smith’s doctor to all the others -for whatever reason (story ones mainly) he didn’t adore last season to the extent I did. I think he misses Smith which surprises me as he enjoys Peter Capaldi from a lovely series, a couple of years old now, called The Hour…..anywaaaay.

One of the things friends of mine, new to Who, liked, were the standalone episodes or specials with Tennant in the year he completed his contract: The Waters of Mars for one. It’s a great episode and shows the Doctor without a companion navigating his way around a Mars base with some very frightening villains! There were a couple of others -but they don’t stand out as much.

Kindest, puro.

Missy @missy

@todeledo

To one who was in at the start (1963) I would begin at the beginning of Series 1 (2005)with Eccleston and Billie Piper. It’s a roller coaster journey and well worth it.

Cheers

Missy

Missy @missy

I was thinking. who would you all like to be the new Doctor?

Ben Miller or Kris Marshall would get my vote, both of whom were in Death…or was it Murder…in Paradise.

Both of them are somewhat eccentric and young enough to take the strain.

What say you?

Cheers,

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy I like those fellas -I think Marshall is a bit one notey? That could be the scripts. Also, I wonder if he’d be like Smithy.

Hmm, right thread, though?

Dunno!

:ducks:

janetteB @janetteb

@missy. I just want Capaldi to stay for at least one more series.. Two even better..

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Or three more even. *big grin*

Missy

Missy @missy

@puro

You’re right about Kris Marshall, but at times he does come over as slightly mental, which isn’t a bad thing, look at Matt Smith.

Ben Millar my personal choice of the two, he was very amusing in Death in Paradise and hilarious in Robot of Sherwood – without actually trying.

Anyhow, long live Peter Capaldi.

cheers

Missy

ScaryB @scaryb

Not sure where to post this, but it seems like a sofa-ish item.

Apologies if it’s already been posted elsewhere, but just came across it and thought of @bluesqueakpip @jimthefish @Purofilion @pedant in particular 😉

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — yeah, I saw that before and it’s been surprisingly well done. And probably fits the s5-6 era more than any other, I suspect. They should use them in one episode, I think — if only to watch the internet melt down in the wake of the attendent ARSE that would no doubt follow.

On another note, who’s going to Edinburgh tomorrow and should we convene for pint-age beforehand? Is there anywhere decent near the Filmhouse? Haven’t been in years. Presumably the Filmhouse itself still has its own teeny tiny hostelry?

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish It scrambled my little brain somewhat – my visual cortex switched into Who mode, while my ears were expecting Buffy, haha.

Pintage beforehand is probably essential – my anticipation circuits will be on overload by then. Can’t believe it’s TOMORROW!!! ONE MORE SLEEP 🙂 (*SSSSHHHH!! Looks round guiltily at being one of the lucky ones with the golden ticket!* )

Filmhouse has a decent sized bar, which is most likely going to be full of a mix of overexcited Whovians, would-be cynical (but secretly excited) meeja folks and a couple of lost Fringe-types. So probably the place to be 🙂 What time are you heading over? Starts at 8.30 (but I presume the seating is unreserved)

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — How about 6pm in the Filmhouse bar then? We can mix with the rest of the meeja types.

It’s Mr Moffatt and Brian Minchin at the Q&A by the way….

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish

6pm at the Filmhouse sounds good to me.

And the Moff… oh my, WOOHOO! (And Brian Minchin too – that’s taking us seriously. I like it)

So see you there. Will you be “in that suit in that bar singing that song, gills flaring, teeth sparkling under the glitterball”?

😈

And @xad4  and any other Forumers who can make it

@scaryb and @jimthefish

The Buffy-style credits made me giggle – I haven’t seen it before. I agree that it best suits the Team TARDIS era. 😉

I will try not to be too envious of all those getting to see the first episode nearly three weeks early. :mrgreen:

Narvin @narvin

Hi everyone. Big Finish fan and overall Doctor Who fiend.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip – Don’t feel too badly – we have a week longer to wait for episode 2 haha. And no doubt we’ll have to sign our souls over to (the) Silence on pain of being thrown in the Punishment Dome on Varos or the Sontaran death pits, before we’re allowed near the screen 🙂 Or maybe we’ll just get some cute memory worms to play with on the way out!!

@narvin Greetings, and welcome. You’ll find a lot of Big Finish fans around here, and fair few DW fiends ( mostly harmless tho 🙂 )

Anonymous @

@scaryb

thank you for the Buffy/Who  credit ‘style’ -it was terrific.

Loved it!

To those seeing episode 1 of Who; enjoy!

But you’ll have to keep the secret….. <<*\*>>

Missy @missy

@narvin

Hello and welcome.

Missy

Missy @missy

@jimthefish

You know, you can really go off people! Oh well, envy is a dreadfully exhausting emotion. have fun.

cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@scaryb

Loved the video. Thumbs up.

Missy

Narvin @narvin

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to the new season! By the way I run a company that makes fun Doctor Who products so if anyone is interested I can hook you up as long as your in the US or Canada. (for now) facebook.com/tardisspeakers

May the Sash of Rassilon protect you always-

Missy @missy

@narvin

Damn! I’m in Australia and all I want is the sound of the Tardis. as ‘the moment’ says, “that wheezing, groaning.”

Cheers

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy. You are in Australia? I had the impression you hailed from the other side of the planet.

My S/o just now has the Tardis sound as his message tone on his phone.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks for thinking about us @janetteb and @bluesqueakpip

Had a great mini-forum meet with @jimthefish, Mrs Fish, @wolfweed and @xad4 and a packed cinema full of Doctor Who fans.  Can’t report much from the screening of Magician’s Apprentice (very temporary escape from the stasis cube to post this) – except to say – make sure you don’t miss it on 19 Sep!! It’s EPIC! And fully deserved its big screen outing. Capaldi is brilliant, the effects are great and the plot twists are up to speed.  And there’s at least 1 line which which will get all the ARSE fans knickers in a right twist 😉

Have to go… the guards are coming back…

Shhhh! 😉

*VWORP*

XAD4 @xad4

It was indeed a most lovely evening! 🙂

A big thanks to Mr and Mrs @jimthefish, @wolfweed, and above all @scaryb for being so welcoming.

Only downside: more than three weeks to go until the re-watch! 😮

XAD4 @xad4

Oh, and this one is for @jimthefish , as promised…

Narvin @narvin

@missy Australia! Bummer, I can only ship to USA and Canada. BBCShop.com.au sells them though 🙂

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@xad4 — brilliant. Thanks for that. A close relative of our own Frank Spencer. And a cautionary tale to smart-arse cafe bars who get too creative with their picture framing…..

And it was great to see the northern contingent again. @wolfweed is much missed so it was good to catch up. And to put a face to @xad4. And of course to see the mighty purple yeti again….

And now we’ve got to wait all those weeks to see how this is going to be resolved….

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb @jimthefish @xad4 @wolfweed

Glad you all enjoyed it! I look forward to any snippets you can remember (hint hint) from the Q&A when the episode airs.

Don’t look at the extra wait for part 2 as a drawback. Look at it as extra time to develop theories on how part 2 will go. 🙂

Missy @missy

@narvin

I knew you’d say that. what a shame.
    My OH built me a 2ft high Tardis. Painted it, put on all the stickers, light at the top which goes on. plug lights up inside when you open the door – all I need now is the NOISE! Boo Hoo!

Thanks anyway,

Cheers,

Missy

Missy @missy

@janetteb

Yes, I live down under – no worries, she’ll be right! *grins*
    We’re Londoners, but have lived here a looong time.
    I told my OH that if I had a mobile (which I haven’t)I’d have the Tardis sound as a ring tone.
    Can you imagine the looks I’d get.

janetteB @janetteb

@missy I did not realise that you were in Oz too. I tested my SOs ring tone last night. It works but not the Tardis sound message alert. Sadly my phone can’t manage the same. It can’t even do the kitten meow that I had on my humble little flip phone of days of yore. The meow certainly excited some amusing reactions at times perhaps the most amusing being when the nursing staff on the fourth floor of a Swedish hospital were frantically looking for the cat.

I once bought the rather expensive Tardis USB hub but that did not work very well because it was powered from the computer only. (I think the newer ones are better designed.) From memory it was supposed to make the sound whenever a USB device was connected to it. It does make a fine cake decoration however along with the “klicky” Doctor and Romana.

cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Thank you @purofilion
    The reason I got offended is before that last bit, I did say that I would explain it later, but yeah, I can see what you did, and also understand it, so I apologise for calling you rude.

I was hoping my question would raise some interest, as everybody knows the answer, it’s because the Doctor killed them all, or so we thought at first, but then it turned out he trapped them inside a pocket universe, explained to us, in the use of Gallifrey Falls No More, (Or is that Gallifrey Falls, No More?) it’s a slice of time, but it still raises the question as to why aren’t there any more Time Lords, yes, there is Jenny, and The Master, not sure if you can count Doctor Donna, but that isn’t what I mean.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,014 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (6)’ is closed to new replies.