On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:

It’s interesting how opinions vary. The first three Doctor’s, from 2005, were convincing in different ways, but Capaldi was and is the best of the bunch – so far.

I find him  more convincing than the other three because he appeared to suffer more than they did, so although he is supposed to be non-human, he is more human than the others.

That’s my slant on it anyway.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

As Capaldi’s run is coming to an end, we decided to watch “Deep Breath” again last night. It was interesting for a number of reasons. First, the pace of the episode was actually quite slow in comparison to what it is like now. Second, Capaldi’s first outing as the Doctor has one important characteristic that has stayed with him throughout…self-doubt. Indeed, when you look back at episodes where he is full of swagger and bravado, even they come across as a person who is trying, perhaps too hard, to push the self-doubt away. But the self-doubt has been there throughout. And third, and I think we tend to miss the significance of this, Missy has been there from the beginning. She is introduced from day one of the 12th Doctor’s tenure, as it were. Indeed, one might even say that Missy is part of the 12th Doctor’s identity. She might not have been in every story, but she has been there throughout, and as we are now seeing, is going to be crucial to his regeneration. When we look back on the 12th Doctor, I think that Missy will be seen as increasingly relevant to our understanding of what was distinctive about this Doctor.

nerys @nerys

Initially I was not sold on Capaldi’s Doctor, but I decided to be patient, and over time he has won me over. Especially compelling for me was “Heaven Sent,” in which he delivered a tour de force performance.

@blenkinsopthebrave I agree with you about the self-doubt. And maybe that’s why, for some, he isn’t their Doctor. Certainly Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all exuded a tremendous amount of confidence, each Doctor becoming more manic, almost brash, than his predecessor (though I often wondered if the “whirling dervish” style of Smith’s Doctor was meant to cover up moments of uncertainty).

At any rate, Capaldi’s Doctor often hesitates, which the other post-gap Doctors (sorry, I’m not as familiar with the pre-gap ones) rarely did. That’s a distinguishing characteristic.

I also agree with you about Missy, and had forgotten that we first met her at the end of “Deep Breath.” Throughout Capaldi’s run, his Doctor and Missy have been flip sides of the same coin.

Missy @missy

@blenkinsopthebrave:  Capaldi’s first outing as the Doctor has one important characteristic that has stayed with him throughout…self-doubt.

Forgive me if I am misquoting, but I remember Nardole telling the Doctor that  he knew everything. The Doctor replies that he doesn’t. Nardole answers that he always acted as though he knew everything (something like that.)

“I act that way because  I don’t.”” There is your self doubt.

@nerys:  Initially I was not sold on Capaldi’s Doctor, but I decided to be patient, and over time he has won me over. Especially compelling for me was “Heaven Sent,” in which he delivered a tour de force performance.

Superb wasn’t he. As was the script, the special effects AND the music. I am going to miss him dreadfully. *sniff*

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy I totally agree. Yes there was self-doubt from the beginning -which could cause him to really miss Clara and need to return her to some form of life -in between her heart beats, as it were. As with self-doubt he may well not be thinking as clearly, continually second guessing himself, not trusting soldiers (as he was one) and encouraging Clara to solve major problems (at which point she was now capable) perhaps.

And @nerys, we’re with you on Heaven Sent which was a tour de force as you wrote.

To me, any mis-steps others consider can be forgiven of  PC when you consider Heaven Sent, Deep Breath, and The Husbands of River Song which caused buckets of tears in the Ilion household.

Kindest, Puro

Missy @missy

Puro:  To me, any mis-steps others consider can be forgiven of  PC when you consider Heaven Sent, Deep Breath, and The Husbands of River Song which caused buckets of tears in the Ilion household.

You too a?  Don’t forget  Face the Raven, when he takes her hand and kisses it – Capaldi’s idea or so he said – that really broke me up.

Miss

wolfweed @wolfweed

I finally did it. I engaged with an idiot on twitter. In fact I used my 1000th tweet to destroy their daft argument. Rather than admit defeat, they defended themselves with ‘the age card’, & continued to maintain their daft stance.

Here is a short drama recreating the spirit of that convo…

Old lady: We’re on the brink of nuclear armageddon. I blame Moffat.

Me: But Moffat isn’t responsible for that. It’s in black & white here in article A…

Old lady: I already knew that because I’ve been following politics since 1970. Doesn’t change my opinion though. Also, my cat was run over by a lorry 52 years ago. I blame Moffat for that too.

Me: You were born. I blame Moffat.

twit

Just realised that it’s called twitter because it’s full of twits…

Anonymous @

@wolfweed
    What HAVE you been doing?? 🙂 Twitter -twosser always ends in tears and peril. Engaging them is like waking the Beast in the Satan’s  Pit which would shake chains and roar: sums up twitter, really. The hated of Moffat would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic: “he’s destroyed my favourite show which should always stay true to its original 1963 ideas and ….Science. I loved his Sherlock and prayed to my House God, Moffat, but now he’s jilted me so I hate him. He is the anti-Christ, and we must join together in abject drivel to exorcise this demon.”
    Dear me Wolf,  you need a large lager at the pub. But don’t wake the Beast.

Puro

Missy @missy

@wolfweed:  Just realised that it’s called twitter because it’s full of twits…

That’s why I haven’t joined and won’t ever.

@thane15  as PURO

It’s obvious to me that when some of these ‘humans’ were born, the pediatrician slapped the wrong end and threw away the wrong bit! *shakes head*

Missy

Anonymous @

hey @missy!  ROFL.

Yeah, Mum was in full geared- up mode that day! She was talking about how the people who “once loved” their God Moffat now talk like he’s Hilary Clinton or Tony Abbott? They all “hate Moffat” now saying he’s ruined “their beloved show” with his interest in Time or Fixed Points and tiny plotholes which, oh my “you cannot get away with.”

I actually love the Fixed Point timey stuff which created this very site! -theories more insane than what’s actually happening!

It’s a bit weird to me too? It’s like this great Moffat experiment suddenly turned into something people hated when actually it was the BEST. I loved Mat Smith but the stories with Peter have been better -very interesting, and layered and adept (I think that’s the right word) at explaining things without endless (what I call) gobby-ness behaviour  🙂

I like how he’s foreshadowed things without having to go all out explaining stuff for the 100th times like other shows do like CSI and that.

Thane

@thane15

It’s like this great Moffat experiment suddenly turned into something people hated

It didn’t – it’s just that the gobshites can’t and won’t accept that they may be wrong and will not discuss with civility (and cry like toddlers if anyone pops back), so eventually reasonable people fuck off somewhere else and enjoy their day.

I’m sure there’s a metaphor there somewhere…

Anonymous @

@pedant

It’s a screaming sign of a metaphor!

True, Mum was saying this too -just got home and grabbed the lap top off her! – people who are happy/content/enjoy the show discuss it with the sort of attention that normal people do (not the gobby wackos!). Also I like this site and don’t much care what other people on other sites actually believe? It’s fine if others do I guess because they can extend their knowledge.

Also it’s that echo chamber thing that’s happening and it’s being brought here. If people want to dress like Doctor 10 or 11 that’s fine -and I can see why. As you said or someone else, you could tell they came from a costume dept whereas Capaldi’s isn’t like that. People aren’t going to dress like Peter as easily as, say, Mat. The 0ther thing we were talking about at school is that (and @missrori this will affect what you were saying) people who enjoy this doctor are possibly, but not necessarily older, and so aren’t going to be interested in twitter, flicker, reddit etc and so there’s a big imbalance as to who likes what doctor. Younger people in those cosplays things (what ever that really is) aren’t striking me as people who would dress up as Doctor 12 -he’s more complicated; he’s not a Halloween one size fits all doctor and yes, it was darker, angsty, complex -like real life IS. RL is bloody, at times disastrous, it asks questions of us and our dignity and our morals as people in a dusty and confused world of contrary political ambition. All those issues were highlighted more than ever in Series 8 and 9 and I found it truly meaty. It made me think and it still does.

There was something magical to the “cracks in the wall” speech when we first meet Mat Smith? That magic was still there but you had to dig deeper into the dirty ground to find it!

I think we all find our true selves that way.

Cheers, Thane (I need to look for 8 bandaids for 8 stuffed toes).

MissRori @missrori

@thane15  I understand about fans of Twelve/Capaldi being older and not hanging out on the social media websites.  I’m barely on the right side of 40 at this point.  But there are some folks I follow on Tumblr who would be right at home on this forum if they knew about it.  I’ve found myself extending comfort and encouragement to younger women who are huge Twelve fans but feel awkward about it.  (Back when I got into Who in my late teens, I found comfort from an email list that was mostly older women than I, so I understand how they feel.)

I have cosplayed a genderbent Twelve at several conventions now (I also have an original Osgood-as-12 cosplay).  I find it a fun way to express my fandom and affection.  At Chicago TARDIS last year, the crowd definitely skewed older than at a general interest sci-fi/fantasy convention; there were many people older than me.  Part of it was that most of the guests were from the 1960s and ’70s eras of the show, the key exception being Michelle Gomez.  And from there, there were some wonderful Twelve cosplayers.

Cosplay is the hobby of passionate and creative fans, and strange as it can seem to the uninitiated I find it fun.  I love to gawp at the more obscure characters and shows represented by cosplayers at conventions, and compliment them, joke around with them, etc.  The best ones are never the stuff one finds in a store.  🙂

Anyhoo I’m glad I found this positive place to share my thoughts with, even if I tend towards being a Gloomy Gus.  🙂

MissRori @missrori

@blenkinsopthebrave  Excellent points about “Deep Breath”.  I think Twelve’s self-doubt is one of the most heartrending aspects of his character.  As Moffat put it in the promo short for “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”, a truly good man doesn’t think he’s a good man.

Before I knew about the Series 10 story arc I was thinking that Missy would have to be central to it in some way, because she was really the one thing being carried over from 8 and 9 in terms of this Doctor’s “myth arc”, his overarching story.  Originally that arc looked to be trying to find Gallifrey, but that was wrapped up in Series 9.  No, I think his myth arc is at least in part about coming to terms with his relationship with her, and what that will say about him.  I am intrigued by how Moffat will wrap up his story as a whole once the season finale has been done and dusted.

Missy @missy

@thane15;  Good for your Mum, I’m with her. Perhaps some fans don’t like having to ‘think’, which, I suppose, is fair enough, they simply want to be entertained. As do I, but I also  like a plot that makes you think – such as “hang on, just a minute – what did he/she say?”

As you say, Moffat doesn’t waste words by explaining things, he  just gets on with it.

Speaking of which – or whom – have you watched the talk Steven Moffat gave to students at Oxford University?

I tried to copy the link, but no good, so here is the title that will get you there on YT.

Steven Moffat | Full Talk and Q&A | Oxford Union

Brilliant as usual. You will enjoy the story of how he came up with the idea for “Blink.” Unless he is lying, and he admits he does on occasion,  it’s very spooky.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

And in a week when we’re about to get some double Mastery action, this might be of interest…

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/phil-collins-sting-and-8-other-actors-who-were-nearly-the-master/

Certainly it will make you look on Eric Roberts a lot more kindly….

Anonymous @

@missy

No I didn’t actually! But thank you for that. I will definitely watch it. I saw a few in the past several months and they were all really interesting and funny.

Thank you,

Thane

Missy @missy

@thane15:

You won’t regret it. He knows how to hold an audience  with wit and good advice.

Missy

RorySmith @rorysmith

I just ended my trial of Britbox. It’s a BBC streaming player for the US and Canada.

I noticed that they blocked random episodes of shows and today it blocked the Tenth Planet.

It wasn’t blocked the other day. It’s very buggy too. Anybody on this side of the pond try it yet?

RorySmith @rorysmith

Kris Marshal is only 14 days older than me.

Hmmmm

ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  To me, Peter Capaldi is just not ‘The Doctor’. A Time Lord, yes, fine. Alien, definitely. But he’s not ‘The Doctor’. For me, Peter Capaldi’s playing the Gallifreyan who really lives behind the role of ‘the Doctor’. But I don’t enjoy watching that. 🙁

That’s a good description, really, except that I love watching that.  The Gallifreyan who’s taken the role of “The Doctor” has turned out to be so human as well as so alien.  He’s not a “good” Gallifreyan TL, or he wouldn’t have rebelled and run away; but he’s not always a “good” Doctor, either, just as none of us humans would be that “good”, no matter how hard he tries, and regardless of those moments where “being a Doctor” does seem to come naturally to him.

He’s an actor playing an actor (who’s a TL) who’s playing his own ideal of what a TL should be.  That is so familiar — it touches me to the heart.

But, strokes and folks (and yeah, he’s lovely as Mr. Curry).

ichabod @ichabod

@nerys  @blenkinsopthebrave  Agreed; self-doubt rooted in a lively self-awareness that I don’t recall seeing much of in previous AG Doctors.  I get the sense of a very complex and sensitive subjectivity in this Doctor, and that’s part of both the hesitance and the impulsiveness that I see there.

@wolfweed  Old lady: I already knew that because I’ve been following politics since 1970. Doesn’t change my opinion though. Also, my cat was run over by a lorry 52 years ago. I blame Moffat for that too.
    Me: You were born. I blame Moffat

Just know, friend, that *this* Old lady is with you 100%.  I am probably older, and therefore (ahem) wiser, that your Old lady who is clearly Moffat’s fault.

@missy  when some of these ‘humans’ were born, the pediatrician slapped the wrong end

Thank you for that!  I am officially stealing it, okay?

@thane15  It’s a bit weird to me too? It’s like this great Moffat experiment suddenly turned into something people hated when actually it was the BEST. I loved Mat Smith but the stories with Peter have been better -very interesting, and layered and adept 

It’s the layering that drives them crazy; the ones willing to re-watch have a tendency to change their minds, I’ve noticed.

@pedant  It didn’t – it’s just that the gobshites can’t and won’t accept that they may be wrong and will not discuss with civility (and cry like toddlers if anyone pops back)

The show outgrew them, emotionally and intellectually.  They *hate* that.  It’s okay; Chibnall will probably dial it back down a bit, and huge carols of relief and victory will arise spontaneously; at least, until people get restless, possibly even a bit bored, and start mumbling about how much better the Moffat/Capaldi run was . . . Moffat says he had to persuade Chibnall to sign on for S11, and I’ll just bet he did.  Tell you one thing: *I* sure as hell wouldn’t want to be a writer-runnger taking over after Moffat.

@thane15  Doctor 12 -he’s more complicated; he’s not a Halloween one size fits all doctor and yes, it was darker, angsty, complex -like real life IS. RL is bloody, at times disastrous, it asks questions of us and our dignity and our morals as people in a dusty and confused world of contrary political ambition. All those issues were highlighted more than ever in Series 8 and 9 and I found it truly meaty. It made me think and it still does.

Well-said.  Part of some fans’ problem with CapDoc and Moffat is exactly that the show got uncomfortably close to RL (for these fans, that is), and they said so — “Why does Bill have to be POC and gay?  Why does the Doctor sneer at capitalism?  Why did Moffat turn the Master female?  Wah!  I come to DW to get *away* from scary real stuff like that!  Gimme back my TOY!” It’s understandable: modern life is, as you point out, pretty upsetting these days, and in our faces about it as never before (the internet, I mean).  Lots of pressure, and demanding ideas.  [Best wishes for your toes, by the way.]

@missrori  Thanks for that report on the Chicago TARDIS con.  Very cheering!  I wonder how many older fans had dropped off DW back BG, came back for Eccleston, dropped off again, and returned specifically for Capaldi?  That’s my story, and a more mature take on the Doctor for more mature viewers (like me) was exactly what I was looking for, although I wouldn’t have been able to frame it that way back before Deep Breath.  I suspect there are quite a few.

MissRori @missrori

@ichabod: So you dropped off after Eccleston too and came back with Capaldi?  That’s my story!

Yes.  I wound up binge-watching much of that first series and was eager to get into the Tennant Doctor.  I liked his style.  But I started thinking things were getting rather cornball and too needlessly angsty around the time of “The Girl in the Fireplace”‘s sad ending, and at that time there was a much bigger gap between U.K. and U.S. airings.  Reading ahead online to what was going to happen in the remainder of Series 2 — which included stuff like “Love and Monsters” and “Fear Her”, of course — I lost interest and cut bait after “The Impossible Planet”.

Time passed and I kept a rough bead on what was going on with the show from summary sites and such, was glad to hear Gallifrey came out okay, but I just felt it wasn’t my cup of tea…it wasn’t the rich character acting and alien nature of the Doctor(s) I loved.  Too soapy.  And then I heard word that this new Twelfth Doctor was a grumpy jerk and his stories were really depressing…

Around July 2015, I kinda felt lonesome in my love of original series Who.  I wanted to get back into the fandom in some way, but I knew I’d need to sample some newer episodes.  Maybe I could come up with a cool “headcanon” on my own that way.

I asked around, even to a critic who hated Series 8, as to good episodes to start with for Eleven and Twelve.  Nothing too arc-y or angsty?  With regards to Twelve I was recommended “Robot of Sherwood”, “Listen”, and “Time Heist”.

I decided to sample Twelve first.  After learning the tender story of the video known as From the Doctor to My Son Thomas, I watched that clip and immediately fell in love with the Twelfth Doctor.  I got to those aforementioned episodes shortly afterward.  Twelve blowing up the target in “Robot of Sherwood” was one of the best laughs I’ve ever had in my life.  “Listen” was utterly beautiful.  And I started watching more, and more…

ichabod @ichabod

@missrori  Ha!  Kindred spirit here.  Lots of ’em, I think.  I really enjoyed “Robot of Sherwood”, myself, still don’t get what all that grousing was about afterward.

I came back for Capaldi because of TToI, really — loved that show for its snarling cynicism, and its subtle heart.  So I came to see what this guy could do with the Doctor, and was several times smitten by Deep Breath — including, to my surprise, by the heated self defense that Clara mounted in her conversation with Vastra.  I hadn’t liked Clara at all in the previous series — boring, faultless, heroic Mary Sue with metaphysical pretensions, I thought.  Her rebirth as a dismayed, exasperated, confused, charmed, and passionate person whose trajectory could not be predicted sparked my interest as much as the new/old Doctor, desperately thrashing around in search of his own true nature, did.  I was drawn in from the get-go, and still am.  This stuff is re-watch Heaven for me.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Me too.

Well, sort of 🙂

I loved him in tToI but also would’ve watched anyway having seen Series 5 onwards with Mat and Moffat together.

The lovely, terrified, breathless Doctor: equally confused as his companion…For me, when Capaldi and Moffat departs will be the end of a short (but actually not that short) era and I will be sad. I am smitten with Moffat’s writing -and like you -enjoyed Robots of S (whether he simply co-wrote or showboated that particular episode. What’s the term? Show runner!) and adored the rest.

As I said a few times before, a lot of the episodes were exceptions (exceptional) and the experiments worked -at least for me. Whatever moaners say? Let ’em moan on. I have my happy memories and intend to keep ’em. 😉

Puro

MissRori @missrori

@ichabod  I like The Thick of It.  There’s something weirdly cuddly, as well as funny, about Malcolm’s cussing, isn’t there?

@thane15  That’s an interesting way of putting Twelve — “equally confused as his companion”!

ichabod @ichabod

@missrori  Malcolm’s cussing,

Yep — that’s the bravado of the gifted outsider who lives by his wits, the exasperated incomer from the sticks trying to herd a bunch of stupid, posh housecats to political victory.  But he’s the one who winds up holding the bag, to be packed off to prison.  Brilliant.

@thane 15  @missrori  That’s an interesting way of putting Twelve — “equally confused as his companion”!

Succinctly put.  I didn’t really have that in clear focus, just been talking around it.  Bull’s eye!

KentAllard87 @rutledgemann74

This seems to be the general discussion forum – so apologies if some background comments are repeated from my comment about the newest Cyberman episode.

I’m new to any Dr. Who forum, but not new to the series; I prefer the original series (w. Pertwee, Troughton, Baker, McCoy being favorites) and the Big Finish audio series (Colin Baker fav. there), over the new stand-alone episodes. The endearing, but less than stellar special effects of the original series were overcome in the audio series – the storylines are mostly well-done with top-notch sound effects.

Some of my fav. Dr. Who storylines; the Celestial Toymaker, the Daemons, Talons of Weng Chiang. In the audio NIght Thoughts and Chimes of Midnight come to mind. I’m pleased that more’s being done with the 2nd-3rd doctor, although the third Dr. is the most neglected with new productions.

The black and white film of the early series also lent sort of an ethereal nature to that era. William Hartnell used to be one of my least favorites, but I’m growing to like his version. Turlough always will be my least favorite companion.

I didn’t care for the Eccleston series and although I liked Tennant and Smith, I became an occasional watcher after the Eccleston season. I have watched the Capaldi ones – and I tended to like the earlier part of the season.

Happily, there’s a choice; there’s classic episodes and the audio for the originalists (and there’s spinoff series starting to cover TV themes) and the TV series for newer fans and those who prefer the newer storylines.

Anonymous @

@rutledgemann74

Hi ho there! Forgot to welcome you ( too over-excited by penultimate episode). Yes, the B & W has that quality doesn’t it? As a child I grew up with some Who (never a close follower though) and adored the ‘man with a cape’ which was Pertwee (as it turned out); eerie corridors and a future which was bleak, starved of the colour associated with the Star Trekky era: neat, clean, precise.  Doctor Who wasn’t like this at all;  it drew me in so I participated rather than viewed it from a distance.

@ichabod @pedant

Oh, guess what came in the mail? All shiny and pretty? Season 4 of RECTIFY!! Whee-hay! Doing a leedle dance: maybe even some dabbing! In fact, definitely some dabbing despite my hybrid half saying: “Mum that’s ALL over now. Totally out. Completely over-taken and unfashionable.”

I don’t know if I can begin to watch it this minute. I need another Who re-watch and then a deep breath as San Junipero just about did me in emotionally  (Black Mirror).

Kindest, Puro and Thane (the latter in absentia)

Missy @missy

@ichabod:   when some of these ‘humans’ were born, the pediatrician slapped the wrong end

Thank you for that!  I am officially stealing it, okay?

Be my guest, I don’t mind sharing. *big grin*

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod:   “when some of these ‘humans’ were born, the pediatrician slapped the wrong end”

“Thank you for that!  I am officially stealing it, okay?”

Be my guest, I don’t mind sharing. *big grin*

I think my last post has gone AWOL, first time for me. To repeat, I think SM is a genius, even though he broke my heart in episode 11. Let us hope that he does write the occasional episode for DW, even though he said he probably wouldn’t.

@thane15: Have you seen the SM talk at Oxford yet? You should really enjoy it.

Missy @missy

Sorry, don’t know what happened there? *blushes*

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy   No apologies needed!

@rutledgemann74  Hi!  Welcome!

@thane15  Ooh, “San Junipero” — good story, with a good reputation!  I haven’t been all that impressed with the rest of Black Mirror, though.  Looking back, there’s not much that’s stayed with me.  I have yet to begin “Rectify” — I have a tough time with any kind of story that’s set in the southern states of the US, though I enjoyed the first season of “True Blood” (partly because it simply omitted the pernicious — IMO — religiosity and generally reactionary politics of that area altogether).  Been there.  Don’t like it.  Tell me good stuff about the series.  It’s good to have my — attitudes shaken up.

Missy @missy

@rutledgemann74;

Hello there. *waves*

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

Something I think is pertinent to DW’s fan audience — by way of perspective (though if we’re downplaying links to other sites here now, please, mods, cancel this post, no problem!):

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170616-the-joy-of-hate-watching

wolfweed @wolfweed

Pinch, punch – First of the month!

pinch

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed Hum wonder if that counters the evil of rising electricity prices. Surely witchcraft is to blame. (alright witchcraft in the form of stupid and or corrupt politicians)
    (random comment refers to Aus’ energy price rise today.)
    @ichabod Have heard people talk about “hate watching”. Personally I think there is too much to do to waste time watching something that one doesn’t enjoy/learn from.
    cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb   Aus’ energy price rise today

Ouch — my electricity bills are double and sometimes more in the summers!  I could do some solar — it’s not as if we get no sun here.  But I think I’d have to give up my shade trees . . . ugly trade-offs all over the place.

MissRori @missrori

@janetteb. I never got the idea of hate watching either.  I think it was coined to refer to fascinatingly bad shows.  First one I remember that referred to as that was “Smash”, an NBC musical drama from about 5 years ago.

@ichabod Yeah, I wouldn’t want to give up green growing things either.  We used to have a lot of trees around our house, but now there’s just the one…

janetteB @janetteb

Our cottage was built in the time when surviving the summer was the prime consideration so the old part of the house has high ceilings, narrow windows, with a verandah on the north side which means we get no sun at all in winter and the rooms are impossible to heat. I guess the nineteenth century immigrants, being predominately British, were used to cold winters but the blistering summers must have been a real shock.

The nearest I ever got to “hate watching” was Star Trek which I didn’t hate but found it mildly amusing predicting how the story would unfold, the scripts being so formulaic.

Cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

@missrori @ichabod and @janetteb  I will admit the although I am Canadian I “hate watch” the American Fox news network when I need to let off steam and shout at the TV but I can only take about 10 mins. then I have to change the channel.

winston @winston

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

Missy @missy

@wolfweed:

Yes I did.  We learned it at school and then I read it in an English newspaper. Interesting isn’t it.

@janetteb:  “The nearest I ever got to “hate watching” was Star Trek which I didn’t hate but found it mildly amusing predicting how the story would unfold, the scripts being so formulaic.”

Very generous of you, boring would be my word for it. so blessed predictable.

@winston:

Is it?  Happy Day indeed.

Missy

Missy @missy

Did I mention that I bought “In the Loop?” Hilarious! For some  reason, the F word coming out of PC’s mouth, is very funny. On the other hand the other Scottish actor – his offsider I think – I found to be offensive, not a bit funny. Why?

Missy

Blinkycaryn @blinkycaryn

Hello,

So I’ve never been part of any forum before, so Dr. Who seems like a great and proud place to start.

I started my Dr Who love about a year ago, after watching it here and there.

I’m fully hooked now. Just finished the season finally, and am wishing I could travel in time and space to the future to watch the Christmas episode. I love Peter and don’t want to see him go.

So hello everyone.

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  . . . the other Scottish actor – his offsider I think – I found to be offensive, not a bit funny. Why?

Because PC is a miles-better actor than that guy, and can carry obscenities off with such heartfelt, yet casual panache?  The other “comic Scotsman” felt forced in performance, and completely superfluous to the story, to me.  PC’s scene with James Gandolfini was priceless, though.  I miss JG.  Which reminds me, sort of — Iannucci has something new coming down the pike, I read somewhere — the NYT, today’s Sunday edition, arts (July 1).

@blinkycaryn  Hiya, welcome, and glad to hear that you are properly hooked.  Same to all the rest of our new addicts — er, members!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

From Who to Sherlock

Was just watching the Master in Terror of the Autons (as one does), and it struck me that the scene with the Time Lord who arrives to warn the Doctor of the arrival of the Master was strikingly similar to the first meeting of Mycroft and Watson in A Study in Pink:

The scene in Sherlock opens with a long shot of Mycroft:

The rest of the scene plays out with very much the same tone as in Who:

Did Gatiss consciously model Mycroft on that Time Lord? I suspect he did.

Nick @nick

@blenkinsopthebrave

you are a genius 🙂

Serahni @serahni

Not sure where to bring this up, or whether it’s already been mentioned, but looks like the Impossible Girl is returning for the Christmas Special.  I figured she would!

Nick @nick

@serahni

It’s been mentioned on the Spoiler page.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.