On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    McCotton @mccottonthedoctorfan

Throughout time, Doctor Who had created many pieces of memorabilia that fans want.  Everything from the Fourth Doctor’s scarf to the Seventh Doctor’s umbrella.  Well, for me, after this season, there’s another piece I’d like to add to my list:

Missy’s sonic umbrella.

Missy @missy

@mccottonthedoctorfan.

I want Mr Huffle, from Doctor Mysterio.

Missy

Paul Ferry @paul-ferry

Hi. I’m new here so I thought I’d better introduce myself.

My name is Paul and I’ve been a Doctor Who fan for longer than I care to remember. I used to be involved with TimeBase, who made interesting fan videos, and also wrote for the fanzines FanMail and Strange Skins. So, you might say I’m interested in the creative side of being a Doctor Who fan.

I backed away from fandom for a long time because of the in-fighting and backstabbing, but in recent years I’ve started easing my way back in a bit. Nice to meet you all.

Paul 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome @paul-ferry !

We are a pretty un-stabby bunch as internet forums go.

I look forward to finding out what you’re up to these days & what opinions you hold about Doctor Who old & new!

wec

RorySmith @rorysmith

Thete are fandoms and then there are Whovians. We created the fandom.

Anonymous @

@paul-ferry

I say also: Welcome!

From Thane.

DenValdron @denvaldron

@paul-ferry   Welcome aboard, I’m a dedicated fan of your work on Timebase.  I’m sorry to say that odds are, you’ll find fandom much as you’ve left it, some new faces, some old, but basically it is what it is.  People are people, unfortunately, and they’ll have to do until something better comes along.  Enjoy the good parts, try not to get too deeply caught up in personalities, take a walk on the bad parts.  Relax and good luck.

Paul Ferry @paul-ferry

Thanks all for the welcomes.

@denvaldron  Fortunately I’ve learned how to walk away from online arguments since my last foray into forums, Den. I’d strongly recommend it to anyone! Don’t get involved in endless back-and-forth bickering, if someone disagrees with you, that’s their prerogative, but don’t get drawn in if they provoke an argument. Life’s too short to argue the toss over every little thing. 🙂

DenValdron @denvaldron

@paul-ferry  then you’ll do fine.

While I’m talking to you, just a quick question – is your film project still on.  Will we be treated to the Ferry Doctor?  The Pub With No Doors just wasn’t enough.

Paul Ferry @paul-ferry

@denvaldron  The planned production fell through due to lack of funds on my part and lack of time on the director’s part, but I’ve been looking lately at reviving it as a slightly less ambitious project. I’ve gone back to my original idea of giving it a sort of indie feel rather than a full-on TV style adventure.

At the moment I’m doing what I like to call ‘script nobbling’ to combine the two 50-minute scripts into a more manageable 75-80 minute single feature, with the more demanding sets shot in a garage rather than the planned hire of a studio.

This is austerity Britain, folks. 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

It’s confirmed – I’m off to Cardiff for the weekend! I wonder what I’ll get up to?(!)

dwe

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed — jealous! And if you happen past any, um, experiences then do enjoy them….

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish – Thanks! I’ve not been to a Doctor Who exhibition since the Kelvingrove in 2009.

Before that, was MOMI on London’s South Bank (26th century Earth!) and a small one at Bristol Museum in the 90s. Longleat in the 80s.

momi

I’m a lucky bunny!

ichabod @ichabod

Not sure where to put this — a humor piece about time travel that (keeping in mind that JW’s Doctor will be a time traveling alien rather than a time traveling human) has a couple of interesting ideas (such as reverse infection) for your enjoyment:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/you-cant-bring-tampons-girls-guide-to-time-travel/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-weekly-20170811

Hope the link works.

The Between @thebetween

Hi, new here, not sure how to act around myself. I don’t really “do” the fan experience much, too much of a shut-in, but wanted to try. Anyways, I was looking for some new toys to geek out about, but I can’t seem to find any good Doctor Who themed or simply Doctor Who like games, either computer, board games or old-school tabletop roleplaying games. I saw a few that use the images and characters from the show, but nothing that really FEELS like it, if you know what I mean?

Anyway, I’ll just tug my head inside my pillow fortress again 🙂

MissRori @missrori

Anyone in or near Chicago, IL should know that the upcoming Wizard World convention (Aug.24-27) will be very Who-focused.  David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Alex Kingston, Jenna Coleman and John Barrowman will all attend on Saturday and Sunday.  🙂  WW is a great general-interest media convention anytime (I’ve attended the last two, living a few hours downstate as I do).

MissRori @missrori

@thebetween I like the mobile game Doctor Who Legacy a lot, have you considered that?  🙂

The Between @thebetween

@missrori No, never heard of it (I usually avoid mobie games), but sounds worth a look! Do you have a link?

MissRori @missrori

@thebetween Check out tinyrebelgames.com .  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This was just posted on YouTube. I almost thought not to post it but, y’know, they’re just jobbing actors after all. Life after the Doctor… How many can you name?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig

I remember getting into a flaming row with someone on the Graun – because they insisted that David Tennant was selling out by doing those Virgin Media ads. 🙄

Apparently Mr Tennant should have prioritised his artistic integrity over his mortgage, his three young children, and his complete lack of any kind of job security. As a jobbing actor myself, I begged to differ.

[And if anyone would like me to extol the virtues of cat food or saucepans, please feel free to contact my agent. 😀 ]

@craig

Funnily enough, the moment you closed the thread, a bonkers theory about the regeneration into Jodie Whittaker stole into my mind…

… any suggestions where I should post it? Spoilers, maybe?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @bluesqueakpip. If it is ‘spoilerish’ then yes, if not feel free to post here. After several years I think we’re still evolving and adapting. Or, again, if not spoilerish you could write a blog about it – blogs don’t have to be long.

@craig

It’s turning into a blog. I will confine myself to details about the Christmas Special that are known from the trailer.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig, and everybody really,

As we wait for Christmas (and the future), and as Christmas will be about linking up with the Hartnell era, and as, well, there isn’t much happening on the site at the moment, I wonder if there is an opportunity to have a discussion about the early years of Who (to contextualize the Christmas pairing of the 1st  and the 12th Doctors)?

One idea might be to look at the impact, influence, ideas, of early “showrunners” (even though that is a modern term). Like, well, obviously, Verity Lambert. Or, alternatively, perhaps directors, like Douglas Camfield. Or writers, like Terry Nation.

Others might have better suggestions, but, in this waiting time, there might be some interesting discussions to be had. And raising the profile, knowledge of, and interest in, BG Who, as we approach the Christmas blending of BG and AG Who, might be sort of fun.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip “Artistic integrity”. Lovely idea. I wonder if that person would then like to donate money to the support of artists so they can maintain their “artistic integrity”. I get really annoyed by the view that artists are some kind of superior beings that do not require food and shelter like the rest of humanity and have no right to work for money. How is doing adds any different to being employed in any other way by corporations. We all take jobs at some time or other serving “bosses” we would would rather not work for because we have to. It’s called survival and actors/artists/authors can no more afford to be above that than the rest of us. I am sure some people think artists should paint purely for the love of it and writers are selling out if they expect to get some form of financial reward for their work yet those people who object expect to get paid for whatever they do. I hope that you got the last word on that argument. (like you that is an attitude that really annoys me.)

@craig Thank you for posting that. Really enjoyed it and here is my list Tardis, Romanana I, Jamie, Sarah Jane, Harry, Jo, Brigadier, Doctor 5 (Peter Davison) and Johnathon Pryce as the master. (I was watching only so might have missed voice actors)

Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb. Great companion spotting! But I think that was Anthony Ainley as the Master.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish (Et All)

Well I made it to Cardiff at the weekend. On Saturday I went to Cardiff Market, a location from Torchwood: ‘Small Worlds’. It’s a really cool building. (When I got back home I rewatched the scene. I noticed that there’s a continuity error – The brolly shop is open then closed in a split-second!)

Sunday was ‘Doctor Who Day’. Starting off at the Water Tower (& Torchwood lift – correct stone) and into The Millenium Centre (‘Boom Town’ & Torchwood  [& Interiors for lots of modern Who of course]).

Then a trip to The Doctor Who Experience.

Who’d have thought it but @ 10am Rachel Talalay gave me a lovely long smile as I passed her near the Norwegian Church, on the way there! (Presumably, either I look like a Who Fan or my jaw dropped or both…) I would have given her gushing compliments but she had headphones on (presumably not Cyber), so I thought it best not to disturb her… She had on a cool top with an image of her Cyberman on the back. I presume the editing of the Xmas ep continues…….

The Experience itself will be shut in 3 weeks time, so it was good to get there! (It seemed to be pretty popular too!)

There is an exhibition next to the shop displaying the Target Book covers. My new favourite having seen it in the flesh is ‘The Ark in Space’. It’s a great show and it’s free to enter.

The Experience bit must remain top secret. Let’s just say that I was ‘moved by Romana’…

Then it was on to the exhibits. It’s amazing how close you can get to all of the props & costumes. On the whole, it’s only small gadgets that are kept behind glass. The rest are there to be scrutinised and studied…

Happily there is plenty from series 10 represented, including the impressive Vault doors which flank Missy’s costume.

Seeing so many iconic bits & bobs can be quite overwhelming for a Doctor Who fan! I took some photos (As you do).

dwe

Afterwards a snoop at Roath Lock (Just the outside!). Then on to Ianto’s Shrine (Torchwood) finishing with Eddie’s Diner (‘The Impossible Astronaut’ & ‘Hell Bent’) for a burger & ‘shake! (‘Have you met Jim The Fish yet?’)

I also managed to purchase lots of Dr Who goodies, which I’ve yet to enjoy…

I really liked Cardiff (And the fantastic weather helped)…….

All in all, the perfect holiday to Doctor Who’s ‘Mecca’! (An early Birthday/Xmas present)

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed–

This sounds awesome — and the Romana thing sounds intriguing….

I’m so kicking myself that I never got down to the Experience before it shut up shop….

winston @winston

@wolfweed    Your trip to Cardiff sounds wonderful! I am quite jealous ….but still pleased that you had such a good time. I am afraid a trip to Wales is not in my near future so it is nice to hear about it from  you.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave    I think your idea of a look back on the early years of BG Who is good one. I for one do not know as much as I should  about the early Doctors and would love to learn more. I have a few episodes of the 1st Doctor that I could rewatch and comment on and any information on the 1st Doctors life might be good before Christmas.

RorySmith @rorysmith

I was so jealous of my Sister when she went a few years ago. My Mom really enjoyed it too which surprised me. I was going to link some photos from my brother in law but he deleted them. He stuck out like a lost yank too lol.  They really enjoyed Cardiff though and will likely return. Too bad the DWE is gone but the locals there told my family that they hated all the tourist junk as they called it. We get that here where I live in East Tennessee so I understand.

wolfweed @wolfweed

#TouristJunk

tj

Missy @missy

Do any of you have a WEST LODGE in your vicinity?  There is one here, but I’ve not been into to it.

Here is WA.

Missy

FatManInABox @fatmaninabox

Yikes!

“Still, if an intelligent race of tentacled underwater beings winds up outmaneuvering us and taking over the planet, we can’t say there weren’t warning signs.”

http://gizmodo.com/swarms-of-octopus-are-taking-over-the-world-s-oceans-1777790453

If they start to develop metal travel machines, I’m outta here!

@fatmaninabox

I recommend The Kraken Wakes, by John Wyndham.

Sweet dreams. 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

For those collectors out there, Rachel Talalay is selling some rare items in support of the ACLU in the USA. Bids end on Sunday.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/sherlock-and-doctor-who-director-selling-very-rare-memorabilia-and-you-can-bid-now

JonnyTheDoc @sabesjt98

I keep getting email responses so by doing this post I’m hoping they’ll stop. Sorry for the most boring post ever!

@craig and everyone

Now that the nights have started drawing in, how about a William Hartnell retrospective? Especially since David Bradley’s take on Hartnell’s creation will be co-starring in the Christmas Special.

I would especially vote for The Tenth Planet, since that appears to be the story where we meet Bradley’s First Doctor. However, there’s easily 15 or 16 Saturdays between now and Christmas, so we could manage two or even three stories.

The BBC have been doing sterling work animating Hartnell’s missing episodes, so the following stories (with one or two animated episodes) are now available:

The Keys of Marinus
    The Aztecs
    The Sensorites
    The Web Planet
    The Rescue
    The Romans
    The Space Museum
    The Chase
    The Ark
    The Gunfighters
    The War Machines

Any takers?

@bluesqueakpip

Count me in.

Whisht @whisht

@bluesqueakpip – sounds good.

Always glad to hear from people here as to how stories/ writing/ acting has changed, how society that created it has changed, but also how exciting/ baffling it was at the time.

Is your idea a binge watch or ‘as-it-happened’ week-by-week ?

@blenkinsopthebrave, @whisht

I was thinking along the lines of the rewatches we’ve done before. That is, we pick two or three stories and ‘watch’ as-it-happened, on Saturdays. I suppose we could binge watch if there were votes for more than three stories.

My preference is for Tenth Planet (4 parts, part 4 animated), The Aztecs (four parts) and The Web Planet (six parts). However, I’d like us to all suggest our choices – I’m well aware that The Web Planet hasn’t aged well at all, but it’s certainly an example of ambitious Sixties television.

@bluesqueakpip, @whisht

Totally in agreement–with the suggestion and with the choices. Quite a few people on the board have confessed to watching very little (if any) BG Who. Not only would it be good to revisit those great stories (and I confess to having a soft spot for “The Web Planet”) but it would help contextualize what we are likely in store for in the Christmas special.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave @whisht @bluesqueakpip   You can count me in! I have watched very little BG and even less 1st Doctor episodes. It would be quite interesting.

@craig

Any chance of moving forward on @bluesqueakpip‘s suggestion? Given your recent post and the onset of Christmas it would be lots of fun. And maybe it would even attract people back on the board.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @blenkinsopthebrave @bluesqueakpip yes, I’ll hopefully have time to set something up on Saturday. Keys of Marinus all right with everyone, if possible? I’ll check what is easily available and easy to purchase.

@craig

Keys of Marinus all right with everyone, if possible?

It’s your site – if you want the Keys of Marinus, then Keys of Marinus it is. 😀

Besides, it has the original team of Ian, Barbara and Susan with the First Doctor and Verity Lambert producing.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

That sounds great. And I was IN Cardiff less than  a year ago! Never went there however.

Is the Dr Who Experience closing?

Or is some of it shutting up shop forever?

Wasn’t sure by your comment there and @craig ‘s

@blenkinsopthebrave @winston (waving helloo from down south: Dr Blenkinsop you might like to know that this ‘Winter’ was the warmest we had with last Monday reaching 32 degrees and most nights not getting lower than 18 degrees. Mum is looking for ways of building an impossible pool that’s bigger on the inside: I suggested  a birthing pool. You can blow it up and it’s quite big. For one person. To sit in)

I saw the Keys of Marinus when Mum was desperate to get me into Who BG. But at 9 years I found everything slow. 🙁    I was a bit silly then (still am) but I’m ready for another go.

I like all the options mentioned by @bluesqueakpip but as said it’s your site so Marinus it is and we’re good with that down here!

@missy I thought you lived in South Australia all this time. Where @janetteb is? Obviously I’m stupidly wrong about that too 😀

Thank you/ From Thane and Mum

winston @winston

@craig  That sounds OK to me and a totally new episode ,for me that is.

@thane15   A great big hello back at you, from up north! and to your Mum of course.

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:  I read that ages ago.  Once I had all books by John Wyndham.

@thane15: Nope, Western Australia. Pin back your lug’oles young man, you are NOT stupid.

<span class=”useratname”>@craig</span>

Emperor. YES please Craig.

Missy

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.