On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

When it atarts getting ‘poitical’ I’m off. *grins*

You are close puroandson, no I didn’t mean ‘nanny state’ I meant ‘nanny’ everywhere in the Western world.

nuff said.

ttfn

Missy

Anonymous @

@missyI didn’t mean ‘nanny state’ I meant ‘nanny’ everywhere”

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what that is! A “nanny” -everyone needs looking after? Or everyone shouldn’t need looking after?

Not sure.

🙂

Anonymous @

I’m afraid I was also confused by that term. In fact, I tried to look it up but couldn’t find a definition and so I resorted to guessing. Did I get it right?

Oh wait, “nanny everywhere.” Okay, I looked that up just now. It looks like it has to do with the claim that the so-called politically correct are trying to force certain rules and standards on everybody. Is that it? Or is it something else?

Missy @missy

@stitchintime

That’s the one. Don’t do this, don’t do or say that!

Bah, humbug!

Ttfn

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod and any other fans of Ghost stories.

Having finished watching “A warning to the curious” by MR James, I saw in the margin (on YT) “The Crooked House.”
    This looks interesting thought I and clicked on to it. Imagine my surprise to find that it isn’t MR James who wrote this, but Mark Gatiss.

It’s a hour and a half of three ghost stories, one set in the 1700’s, the next in the 1920’s and the last – now.
    If you do nothing else this week, for heaven’s sake watch this.
    What writer Mark is , my gawd, scared the living daylights our of me.

Just thought I’d mention it.

Oh, and by the way, for any who do watch these little gems, see if the second story reminds you of anything? No clues – spoilers!

Ttfn

Missy

TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

@missy

I have the crooked house on DVD! Isn’t it great! Up ther with some of M R James work (almost!)

Someone may have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum but have you seen Remember Me starring Michael Palin that’s another good ghost story and relatively new I think!

The M R James ghost stories I own on DVD are two versions of Whistle and I’ll come to you, The Stalls of Barchester, A Warning to the Curious, The Treasure of Abbot-Thomas, The Ash Tree, Lost Hearts, A View from a Hill, Number 13 and the tractate middoth. I also have three other Ghost stories for Christmas including Stigma, The Signalman and The Ice House!

I’d look out for any of these as they’re all very good! The Ice House and Stigma are probably my least favourite but that’s just my opinion!

I really hope Mark Gatiss decides to do more of these kind of programmes as they really are very enjoyable!

Anonymous @

@missy
    “That’s the one. Don’t do this, don’t do or say that!”

Thank you for that.

Missy @missy

@thedentistofdavros

Loved it! I shall try to buy this, thanks for letting me know it’s obtaibabl.
    Thank you too, for the info on the others. I’ve made a note of Remember Me.
    Have you seen a film called “Haunted” starring Jeremy Brett? Not as good as some, but not bad either.

@stitchintime

Not at all.

ttfn

Missy

Missy @missy

@thedentistofdavros

I’ve just ordered the Crooked House from Amazon. Pretty good deal only AUD$18 includidng postage.

Ttfn

Missy

@missy

I have not seen it! Might check it out now though!

Jeremy Brett was the actor who played Sherlock Holmes for a long time wasn’t he? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks for the recommendation though!

Crooked house is well worth the money!

Anonymous @

@missy

just looking back On this Sofa about the start of the PC discussion and the “nanny everywhere” thing which Mum was telling me about. I didn’t know anything abot the nanny state concept? But I do now so I should thank @stitchintime and @pedant as well for the information on this thread and others. Which is great to know.

The movies you mentioned I already started watching! Thank you SO much for that.

@Theconsultingdoctor I watched yesterday with Mum The Stalls of Barchester, A Warning to the Curious and are part way thru Whistle. It’s on youtube (which is probably sad) but I don’t think Mum could buy them from JB Hi-fi -maybe Amazon though?

really good suspense and so different from today’s movies. There’s recorded versions of reading as well from what I saw.

Thank you, Puricle

Anonymous @

@missy @Theconsultingdoctor is on ____! It has the young actor man who was in George Gently which I really have liked (not every story or season but a few. I like the elder actor in it also)

I’m going to watch it when Mum has lunch with me. When I have a break. Awesome!

Missy @missy

@puroandson

That’s the chap, Lee Ingleby. he’s vastly underrated in my opinion. If you like a good ghost story you will love three three.
    Although i knew Mark Gatiss was talented, i had no idea how talented. Do see if the second story reminds you of anything>

Hope your Mum will enjoy them too.

ttfn

Missy

Missy @missy

@thedentistofdavros

Indeed it is worth the money and AUD$18 is cheap. And – yes, Jeremy Brett did indeed play Sherlock Holmes, I’ve got the Box Set – now isn’t that a surprise. *big grin*
    After Benedict Cumberbatch, he’s the next best Holmes – in my opinion.
    Did you know that the role killed him? Poor man, he simply wouldn’t slow down and his heart couldn’t take it.

Ttfn

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

thank you for that. Not sure if it means anything or reminds me of anything yet! Still, the articles all agree Ingelby is a terrific talent. Not underrated as far as we can see? The UK press and the Aus press all comment him highly for his range of work on stage and screen where Mum -in the first- saw him, a while ago whilst in the UK apparently.

Son of P.

Anonymous @

@puroandson
    “just looking back On this Sofa about the start of the PC discussion and the “nanny everywhere” thing which Mum was telling me about. I didn’t know anything abot the nanny state concept? But I do now so I should thank @stitchintime and @pedant as well for the information on this thread and others. Which is great to know.”

It has been an education for me too, as although I had heard of the, “nanny state,” concept, the other two, “nanny thingy” and “nanny everywhere,” were unfamiliar to me, until I looked up and was able to find information on the latter and the meaning was confirmed by @missy as well.

Missy @missy

@puroandson

The second story of the Crooked House – think Sherlock Christmas special. That’s where the idea came from.

ttfn

Missy

@missy

Yes it’s a shame he invested so much in the role of Sherlock that it did kill him, but it was a very good performance and one he would be proud of!

@puroandson

It’s great to see so many people watching and reading the works of M R James, I thought I was the only person in the world who was even slightly interested in his ghost stories!

A Warning to the curious is probably my second favourite ghost story of his and I suggest that you try and find an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ The Signalman! It’s very good and made even better by the fact that Dickens was himself frightened of trains due to an experience he had on one before he wrote Signalman, a train crash almost killed him!

janetteB @janetteb

I really enjoyed “Crocked House”. The Signalman is also a favourite. I watched it when I was a teenager and it had that haunting quality that stayed with me. I was so glad when my S/O tracked it down a few years ago.

@thedentistofdavros I only discovered M.R. James recently courtesy of Gatiss who is a big fan. He discussed James’ work in one of his docos. I have Stalls of Barchester but yet to watch it. I think it has just moved up a few spaces on my “to watch” list.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@thedentistofdavros

Thank you for that! We both enjoyed the stories on film yesterday and how, due to received pronunciation, it was incredibly easy to understand. Like @janetteb (:waves:) we also enjoyed The Signalman and love Mark G. whose involvement in resurrecting the stories creates a strong connection to the Sherlock Holmes special to which @missy alerted me (thank you missy)

PuroSolo

Missy @missy

I have long been an admirer of MR James, he creates – for me at least – just the right amount of shudders.
    As for The Signalman, I’ve got it on a Cd and am watching the filmed version on YT at the moment.
    Are any of you admirers of Charles Dickens?

Ttfn

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy I am indeed a fan of Charles Dickens. I really enjoy his works, especially the later, more complex novels.

Cheers

Janette

Miapatrick @miapatrick

hi everyone, can you wish me luck- we have a PIP assessment at half past two today, I feel physically sick. I’ve read up on the guidelines, we are comfortably (well, it isn’t really comfortable) within the guidelines for high rate, but…

Just hope this all goes through alright and I can give my attention to proper subjects. Like Doctor Who of course! My brains been a bit fragmented, with all this and finishing my creative writing module. Really unfortunate timing. And no new who any times soon!

Anonymous @

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@miapatrick</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>We’ve all been there. Stay strong, and good luck!</p>

janetteB @janetteb

@miapatrick I wish you all the best though I am not entirely sure what a PIP assessment is. I am guessing a kind of sickness or disability assessment from a brief Google search and if so I double the well wishes. I have a friend on disability allowance who is currently afraid of loosing it because her husband is in hospital. (They might think she is managing without him so doesn’t need the benefit, as though the worry about his health isn’t worry enough or he chose to go into hospital and leave her career-less and there is a big difference between surviving and coping.) Very best of wishes with the creative writing module too and hope you find more time to devote to what really matters, ie Dr Who, soon.

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick

Hope the PIP went well.

And well done for finishing that Creative Writing module!

Anonymous @

@miapatrick May all the gods be with you -and all that <<*\*>>

It be over by now but I can wish luck retrospectively. 🙂

Kindest, P and Son

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick

“Hope the PIP went well.

And well done for finishing that Creative Writing module!”

Ditto! (Crosses fingers and toes for luck.)

Missy @missy

I meant to add, that Lee Ingleby isn’t the only British actor to be underrated, so is Laurance Fox. He is very good as James Hathaway in Lewis, but he can so so much more.

PuroSolo Not at all, I enjoyed hinting, I knew you would click. *big grin*

@janetteb I have a few of his novels, and the screen adaptations. Many people say that he rambles and is too wordy but I don’t find im so.

@miapatrick Whatever a PiP is, my dear, you are wished the very best of luck. As has been said, we are all here for you. Well done with the wrting too.

ttfn

Missy

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@janetteB- that’s horrible, bad enough in that situation without having to worry about keeping the allowance that you need. Unfortunately, she will probably be transferred over to PIP this year (possibly next.) PIP is Personal Independence Allowance, which is replacing DLA. The good (ish) thing is that the needs you discuss on the PIP form include help you need even if you aren’t getting it. I’ll send you a link to a website which actually has documents provided by the DWP for assessing applications, breaking down the point system if you like. It makes the application much easier. And if our application is a success I’ll let you know what we did. It’s good to be prepared. And thank you.

@Bluesqueakpip- thank you- it seemed to, she even said at the end that it was all consistent with what was on the form and she was satisfied.  Not trusting it, quite, but nothing I can do for the next five/six weeks. Could have done with different timing, but both are now over and I can breath a little. And thanks for your help, by the way, realy appreciate it.

@TheConsultingDoctor Indeed, far too many have. It’s horrendous right now. Thank you.

@puroandson, @stitchintime @missy- thank you for your luck and good thoughts. Feel like I suddenly have an abundance of time, odd feeling…

DalekTor @dalektor

I have just discovered the band Chameleon Circuit and they’re really good! Here’s one of their songs. SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN’T WATCHED THE SERIES 5 FINALE.

I hope everyone likes it too.

Anonymous @

@dalektor

brilliant! I really loved it. I actually watched this finale about 3 or 4 days ago? I was able to piece it together -though at the time, I couldn’t.

Chameleon Circuit remind me of several old German bands. They also use their head voices -rare this -so a real treat.

Music Thread??

Might pop over there. Saturday morning and a new day dawns.

Puro and Son.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @dalektor

In reading the berky comments on youtube it seems they agree that “The doctor gave Rory the sonic and the only reason he did that was because he let the Doctor out…therefore a paradox”. Surely, this wasn’t a paradox insofar as the ‘old’ doctor’ before he ‘died’ gave the sonic to Rory. Or, was it Amelia who let the Doctor out? Or, are they referring to 1800 years before when the Doctor, placed in the Pandorica by the Alliance, somehow got out, gave Rory the sonic who then…got…the …Doctor….out?

Dear me, I am confused!

I saw this 4 days ago, mind, and now I’m confused. Again. I swear I wasn’t before the song. 🙂

PuroSolo (the wibbly wobbly stuff makes me ache!)

DalekTor @dalektor

@puroandson

Music thread sounds like a great idea!

About paradoxes…

“Oh my god, I don’t have a clue, these paradoxes are hard to construe. My mind is blown, I bet yours is too, well I guess this is Doctor Whoooooooo…” So true. 🙂 It’s what makes the show so awesome.

Missy @missy

@dalektor

Clever. Thank you.

Ttfn

Missy

DalekTor @dalektor

@missy

I was just quoting the song. Nothing really clever about that.

Anonymous @

Anonymous @

@dalektor

Hi there not sure if the above is what you might like -if you wait a minute or so it becomes very evocative.

@arbutus I was also thinking of you when I pasted this -in so doing I committed the cardinal sin of pasting it On The Sofa and not the music thread. It won’t be to many people’s liking but I do love the backstory and I think his major 7th inversions work very nicely.

Puro and Son

<running to music thread>

DalekTor @dalektor

@puroandson

Wait, there IS a music thread? Huh. I did not know that.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@puroandson

It’s a time-travel loop. Please only try this at home if you have access to either a) a TARDIS, or b) a Time Vortex Bracelet. 🙂

From Rory’s POV: The Doctor appears from the future (using a Time Vortex Bracelet), gives him the Sonic, goes. Rory then uses the Sonic to let the Doctor (in his present) out of the Pandorica. Rory then hangs around, meeting the Doctor 2000+ years later in the National Museum.

Shortly after he’s met the Doctor again, he mentions that the Doctor now looks exactly the way he did when he gave him the Sonic – so the Doctor realises what happened (i.e. how he got out of the Pandorica). So the Doctor then uses the Vortex Manipulator to go back in time to talk to Rory, hand him the Sonic etc.

No paradoxes are involved beyond ‘who wrote Beethoven’s Fifth’? That is, nobody worked out how to get the Doctor out of the Pandorica; the escape plan was created and maintained by the loop. 😀

Well played, Doctor Who Magazine, well played:

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

Ah yes! I knew it had something to do with the time Rory says: “that’s how you looked when you gave me…”

So, yes, on the youtube thingy, where @dalektor gave us the wonderful song, there are at least 55 people who think the whole thing is an impossible paradox to the point where the person who wrote this is given major plaudits: “you, sir, are great, for figuring that out” etc etc when he was wrong.

I feel like or you or me (you, you, you! -picture a large cheerleader in Tardis Blue) should go back there and set them straight.

@pedant indeed. Very funny.

PuroSolo

Missy @missy

@dalektor

I meant that IT was clever.

Ttfn

Missy

Missy @missy

Admirers of MR James may already have discovered this video, but in case you haven’t.

Trawling through ghost stories on Youtube this morning, I found to my delight, a video about MR James:

MR James: Ghost writer 720P presented by Mark Gatiss. Thoroughly recommended and very recent.

I was delighted to hear that two of Mr. James’s favourite writers were Dickens and P.G. Wodehouse.

TTfn

Missy

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson      Lovely piece of music! (I loved the poem as well.) Have you heard it done live, or perchance, performed it yourself? I would think it would make a terrific impression heard in person. Some very interesting harmonies in there. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

perchance, yes!  I worked with the choral group to prepare them. The poem is lovely -the recording a little wobbly in this particular instance.

Glad you like !

Fandom Is Broken (or A Bunch of Arse as we call it)

DalekTor @dalektor

@pedant

That’s… that’s horrible! Why are people doing that? I mean, I can understand being a bit upset over the way your favorite character is being portrayed, but DEATH THREATS?!? Why?

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant  Thanks for that link — very interesting, and definitely confirms my own feelings about this . . . so far as I know, no Tolkien fans ever wrote death threats to JRR because he didn’t have the elf and the dwarf run away together and live happily ever after.  How times have changed . . . and how old and crochety it makes me feel to have to say that in a discouraged tone!  But there’s no doubt that the undercurrent of possessive insanity in fandom has becomes much more than one undercurrent among others.

I suppose it’s also possible that we’re seeing a serious conflation of fantasy and reality in the more extreme fringes of fandom.  It certainly applies to, say, ISIS and their dream of restoring whatever they think “the Caliphate” was.  The condition sometimes has the flavor of distilled idealism run utterly amok out of sheer frustration in the real world.

Missy @missy

@pedant

Charming! The human race – or a fair amount of it – is going to pot. Too meny hard drugs snf respect for nothing or no one.
    Be obsessed with something by all means, but try to remember it isn’t real.

Thanks for posting,

Ttfn

Missy

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.