On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 1,038 replies, has 70 voices, and was last updated by  janetteB 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,039 total)
  • Author
    Bluffme @bluffme

@miapatrick
    If you read my original post that was my point…. American Syfy can turn out up to 22 episodes a season and Chinball complaining about 10 being to much work.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Mum’s apologies Mr P, she didn’t read the first post correctly &around that time she was experiencing some dental problems which led to the DrDentist prescribing some codeine in what is labelled in ‘Straya “Mersyndol, forte” which is  codeine + even more codeine. One reason why she liked swimming in 15 degree water -it numbed her mouth.

Sincerely, T16.

syzygy @thane16

@bluffme

Gidday. Welcome from Oz. I think the BBC is strapped for funds. It isn’t like the channels or the huge production areas available in the US. Even Aus’ own series are 6 hour long-shows. The most loved, Rake, didn’t come out each year & had 7 or maybe 8 eps when it did. The TV shows you’ve mentioned have millions -not just in production but each episode, of a show like The Blacklist costs over 1 million bucks an episode. I don’t think it’s 1 million pounds for an entire 10 ep run of Doctor Who -I read up about it once & noticed I was surprised.

Thank you T16

RougeCyberman @rougecyberman

Hello people I am new to this forum but I love Doctor Who and I really want to contribute as much as I can. I hope I can fit in well and get to know some of you.

syzygy @thane16

would love to make some friends in Australia

@misslegaleagle  @blenkinsopthebrave  As Mr B mentioned, the episode you are after Miss Legal, is Extremis. Boy, are we in extremis here, of late.

Puro and I are from Brisbane. I myself haven’t been to Long Island. The other day, before our holiday where we had to share the home with bright red rosellas and blue kookaburras (not to forget the snorting echidnas who live on termites -we have a couple in our own garden precisely so they can eat the nasty fiery red ants and blue/green ants which are 4 inches in length and if bitten by one & an  antidote isn’t administered immediately, fingers, toes or noses become a fiery red (hence the name) and can become gangrenous.

Prior to going away I took the pet kangaroo, named Lightning, on the bus and fortunately had a muzzle for it -due to new laws. A lady on the bus had her baby crocodile but without a muzzle & I’m pretty sure she was fined. In the end she was allowed to put him in the middle of the bus where the surf boards are usually kept. There were so many wallys with boards the Council (we don’t have a government in Brisbane to speak of -a Lower House only and no Upper House at all which is different to other states and territories of this Commonwealth: we still have to pay a large amount for the Queen’s purse -hence the lack of proper governance).

Across the road a woman has exceeded the amount of wallabies allowed as domestic pets (it’s 12 and i’m pretty sure she has 14) but we, personally, have at least 5 very dangerous brown snakes as well as hordes of toads.  The Council is begging the crocodile owners to feed them toads as they’ve come much further south than originally intended. I’ve started a small business selling toads to the croc and wallaby owners at 5 bucks a pop. Also, in our home, and in many around Brisbane, there are no full walls around each house -it’s far too hot.

Screens over windows slow down any decent breeze but one has to be careful because the possums will wander right in. Worse, are the scrub turkeys. They are triple the size of normal turkeys weighing the same as a large greyhound dog. They particularly like going thru the entire pantry and some have actually succeeded in opening fridge doors. Dad put a padlock on the fridge -it’s not really a fridge in the modern sense? It’s more a meat safe for keeping meat, milk and other things fresh for a week.

We bring ice up from below the spit or builder’s areas and by digging can find not only fresh water but water-cooled droplets which keep most things from going off – providing we use tons of salt for preservation. There are few rate/council payments because we have to dump our own waste using compost heaps for recycling garden waste -specifically coming from papaya trees and mangoes.

These two fruits together, when made into a paste, are effective for any bite or sunburn and when applied liberally, keep the mozzies, flies and huge dragon-flies away. The last have a spectacular blue hue but are growing larger by the year. I saw one carry a small cat away to its den. Shouldn’t complain as cats  are considered feral and it’s acceptable to mow them down when necessary.

My neighbour has started a ‘Preserve the Feral Cats’ Movement but without any technology to spread the word, it’s going to take a long time. Certain species of mushrooms are very useful as an unguent for any poisons from Dart Ferns which have evolved into a clever species of flora in order to protect themselves from the hungry wallaby and kangaroo Mammalia.

Anyway, that’s about it for now!

T16.

Cool. I am from Sydney.Although I have visited Brisbane before and it is really nice.

syzygy @thane16

@rougecyberman

Love that handle! Awesome! (more creative than mine, for sure). I’m sure you’ll have a great time. There’s a lot to see and do, discuss and theorise and some of us have become real friends, which I believe is a really good thing. I’m not a very technological person -I update facebook once a year 🙂 but I could always use this forum easily. Some other forums or platforms are actually very difficult to navigate -this one isn’t!

Yeah I know other forums are so hard to use and this great.

syzygy @thane16

@rougecyberman

Yep, Brisbane is nice but very hot. Recently, we were almost in NSW 🙂 At Springbrook -hadn’t been there before. Terrific lagoons, waterfalls, masses of blue & green glow-worms and on that property some seriously large echidnas. Spikey, cross things -especially if you don’t let them get to breakfast early!

We have a whole year without Who, so it looks like I’ll be re-visiting some old Who and some recent Capaldi Who (not that recent but it feels like 8 or 9 months ago).

Some people really liked Heaven Sent and Hell Bent & I did too. Having said that I really enjoyed this past series -I was a bit worried but I really like the guy from The Chaser and was very impressed with his character. There were a few mis-fires (tiny ones for me) but I looked forward to it. It was fast and flexible. I remember Old Who on videos where everything seemed very, S L O W   🙂

I think that was TV back in the 60s. I love old movies -Guess Who Came to Dinner, It’s a Wonderful Life, Rope, The Birds and Mr Smith Goes To Washington so a slow pace is something I enjoy .  I sound like my dad now but the erratic editing on many shows and the very quick dialogue doesn’t seem easy to follow. It does not always allow us to reflect on what we’re hearing but I felt Dr Who this past year did -mostly.

T16.

ArchaicWhovian @archaicwhovian

Greetings fellow Whovians, new here too. Yes, I do consider it critical that a forum has a smoothly and simply laid out, as it ought too determine and influence how many and if people join it. I come from an ancestral skills forum (hence the “Archaic”) with a beautifully mapped place, home to both the amateur and novice to expert and professional. On the other hand, I found another forum dedicated to a particular music genre, with a vast array of topics and functions, but it seemed that in order to perform anything, one had to be part of that particular “amino”. So therefore, a simple and easy layout is critical to any forum, and ultimately plays a substantial role in user satisfaction.

winston @winston

@archaicwhovian  and @rougecyberman   Hello from Canada and welcome to the site! it is a great place to discuss Who and I hope you enjoy exploring it all.

winston @winston

@thane16   I also love old movies including the ones you mentioned but when I thought about it I realized that my favourites are the ones with fast snappy dialogue, an abundance of banter and a bit of slapstick. The Thin Man series and Bringing up Baby come to mind. That is probably why I enjoy the 10th and 11th Doctors so much.

The Birds like most Hitchcock movies scared the hell out of me when I was younger.

Ah, The Birds! I wasn’t around that time originally, but I did see it when I was younger, it was love at first, I don’t know, watch? Needless to say, it is a favorite, along with other “creature-features”. Westerns are also deeply appreciated, as well as Mr. Smith Goes to Washington along with numerous other classics, but my heart lies with the science fiction of old.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@bluffme this explains the issues over BBC and Doctor Who quite well, I think :here.

Anonymous @

FYI, two looks mostly ahead for Series 12:

Now I don’t know if any of you read STACK magazine (JB-HI-FI’s magazine) but it had a interesting article about Doctor Who.I quote fro STACK “Doctor Who has been dumbed down to the point were the sonic screwdriver is a instant fix.” Well is this true? I am not sure so I want to here your opinions. STACK also thinks that Chris chibnall”s writing is bad and season 11 is like a spin-of series. But that is just what STACK thinks. What do you think?

On the Sonic, one of my stances is how well the Gallifreyan does without it or how much she (or he) depends upon it. Personally, I think it’s new appearence is quite simple, though it was made from scratch. It’s simple appearance might also contribute to its simple functioning. While I do think that it has gotten a little more simple, I still admire it for what it can do and how each Doctor utilizes it.

janetteB @janetteb

@archaicwhovian Given that most other fictional tv and film “heroes” rely upon guns to get out of trouble I think the use of the sonic is quite justified. At times writers need to pull a little magic. After all this is a show about an alien who travels in time and space in a police box and critics complains about the way he/she uses the sonic. The character needs some sort of “get out of gaol free card”.

Cheers

Janette

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@rougecyberman, I think the sonic is mostly a useful shorthand. In a lot of sci-fi, a character from a technologically advanced species is going to pull out some useful tech, for this to be valid story telling the tech has to be mentioned before, so you get the choice of either ‘cheating’ by not doing this, or quite a bit of story clutter. But given that our own species has already created multi-purpose, historically speaking, incredibly powerful computers that we carry around in our pockets, the idea that the Time Lords have a kind of sonic Swiss army knife, once it’s established, is reasonable.

It’s also become something of an in joke in Who. War Doctor: ‘what are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at it’, various people in Eleven’s time ‘point and think’. Its tendency not to work on wood. I don’t know if it’s a British thing, but in my experience, we do tend to think if we take the piss out of something slightly silly we’re doing, we tend to think that goes some way to justify it. After all, at least we’re not committing the crime of ‘taking ourselves too seriously’.

@archaicwhovian I agree that a lot is down to how it is used. Thirteen seems to use it mostly as a scanner. I think someone here has described her as a quite excitable field scientist. The sonic as scanner makes perfect sense. The sonic is frequently used to reprogram things, that makes sense as well, its basically a hacking instrument.

As for CC’s writing, I think his best episodes were at the start and the end of the series, which are entirely the appropriate episodes for the show runner to write. I feel overall he’s better at selecting writers than writing episodes, and that’s good news if he’s prepared to hand over more of the work to other writers. But he’s in a difficult situation in that not only does he not have what RTD and SM had – Moffat as a writer – (and he probably knew from the start he’d suffer some criticism as a result), but he’s also, by many, expected to provide a kind of antidote to what many people came to dislike about Moffat.

So Moffat fans will dislike him for not being like Moffat. People who got sick of Moffat’s signature, complex, timey-whimy mysteries and call backs to previous episodes want him to produce something more straightforward (be as little like Moffat as possible), and people who liked his RTD episodes but came to dislike him as a show runner just want another episode like Blink, or The Girl in The Fireplace.

I’m a Moffat fan, I loved all the complex timey-whimy call back stuff. I think the occasional absurdity of it was sufficiently dealt with, once again, by the War Doctor’s sarcasm.  When it comes to CC, I think he’s doing a good job in producing something more straightforward, accepting that that wasn’t what I personally wanted, and also a decent job in producing something different instead. I liked this season at least as much as I like RTD’s first season, and that is my main basis of comparison. I enjoyed the Ryan-Graham arc. I always liked it when Who put a very real and relatable human in there – Donna, Rory, Bill. And I’m all right with the fact that the current companions will most likely not become the kind of legendary beings that these perilous companions became.

Anonymous @

@rougecyberman – I don’t know.  When they talk about the show being “dumbed down” till the sonic fixes everything…  Remember in the opener how the Doctor crashes through a train roof and isn’t hurt?  Or the next episode, when a planet’s out of its orbit?  Or in the New Year’s special, when she brings up the Dalek’s image out of nowhere and talks to it?

No explanation for the first two, and “mad skillz” for the third.

The show does seem to like instant fixes for dramatic moments, and doesn’t think we need an explanation.  (“Mad skillz” is for me about like “ionic energy” letting Chloe turn people and cats into drawings in Fear Her.  Huh?)

I don’t know that “dumbed down” is a fair term for that, though.  Maybe.

I’ve found that I’m better off not thinking about Series 11 too much.

syzygy @thane16

@miapatrick

I think you said that really well. & I would agree, personally.

Also, as we’re on the Sofa, Mum was asking how your study is doing? Have you finished & do you have a lot more to do?

T16.

syzygy @thane16

@kevinwho

I think the 1st one (the train) doesn’t need an explanation. It’s been the case since at least 2006 that the Doctor ‘cooks’  so any burns & bruises are sorted out with extra regeneration energy. When SmithDoc gave his regeneration energy to River to fix her hand & also to stop her dying? I think the planets were put back in orbit using the Ux energy field as well as anything Doc did. The people had died but the planets could not share the same time/space so she fixed that & explained how it was done. As Puro said this Doc is a “gabby” one. She explains at huuuge speed what she’s doing By watching it on catch-up TV we get the subtitles which helps a lot.

An instant fix could sound like a Dues Ex Machina but I remember how TenDoc didn’t use this device  ‘pulling’ all the planets back into line near the end of his era with everyone helping. When Smith was on Trenzalore he knew, after a few hundred years how to sort the enemies: the wood cyberman or the Weeping Angels and even the Daleks but the 13 new lives were first used to kill all the Daleks & was explained in story how & why this occurred.

Ok thanks.True about alot the mistakes or mad skillzs.I agree I should not think about it.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thane16, hya, and thank you.

I finished my degree (got a first) and right now am bogged in a sea of panic over MA application, partly because a third of my degree was on Creative Writing, and I want to study literature. Felt a similar way when I started my degree, and that was with the OU who’ll take anyone! So I’m doing a lot of reading and thinking and writing which I like, but probably not enough actually applying. It’ll be fine, though. So far this year we’ve mostly been focusing on adopting a puppy (we lost three dogs last year). I think it’s a forgivable distraction.

Anonymous @

@thane16 – What needs an explanation and how much will vary from person to person.

The planet out of orbit thing was in The Ghost Monument, not the Battle of something-something.  (Why can’t I remember the titles better?)

Anonymous @

@thane16 – Let me expand on that, to show you what I mean.

When the writers don’t explain something, they’re leaving it to us to make something up.  So, for the train roof, sure, we can say it’s regeneration energy.  Or we can come up with something else.  Like this:

The 12th Doctor knew tough times were ahead, thanks to one of those vague Time Lord prophecies usually trotted out only for season finales.  So he went and got another one of those gem-pill thingies like he gave to The Ghost in The Return of Doctor Mysterio, and took it just before regenerating.

The regeneration was thus so violent it blew up the TARDIS.  But the 13th Doctor could wham on through the train roof because superpowers.  Plus, when teleporting to the TARDIS at the end of The Woman Who Fell Through Roof, she pushed the planet out of orbit because teleport plus superpowers.

How did she talk with the Recon Dalek while in the TARDIS, making its puppet’s face appear?  Superpowers plus telepathic circuits.

See, I can make up all kinds of explanations for these things.  I can drag in Missy’s TARDIS, The Ghost, Time Lord mysteries, amazing hitherto-unknown TARDIS abilities, you name it.  (I know!  The Meddling Monk done it!)

But it’s a matter of personal preference.  I’m a Moffat fan ( here’s looking at you @miapatrick ) and I’d rather be dazzled by some brilliant writing, rather than sit around noodling up semi-nonsense.

It’s just me, though.  Don’t think I’m calling out the show or saying you should feel like I do.  This is just what I happen to want from fiction – and it’s not like I get it from any other TV or movies either.  Mostly I read.

Thane6 and MiaPatrick, I’m guessing y’all know each other. I still need to give more time into Moffat and Chibnall before I can make a statement. I do feel that while the newer season lacked much ties to the earlier history, I do feel that it was well executed, and there were some very pure moments which could move one. By the way, Wooden Cybermen? I must not have seen the episode, but are they fireproof?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@archaicwhovian only from this site. So, yes we do ;).

I know what you mean by ‘pure moments’, that’s an excellent way to put it.

syzygy @thane16

@archaicwhovian

I think the cyberman (wood) was a long, long time ago on Trenzalore? The cybermen sent many different things to stop Trenzalore so the Doctor simply never left.

@kevinwho

I think a lot of us ‘make up’ things as we see the consequences of something that’s occurred. I liked Sherlock & the way we saw the first thing which happened and then the resolution -we didn’t always see ‘how’ they fixed something but we know they did. And because we’d seen the ‘how’ before, many times, we didn’t need to. But I understand how you might feel about this. Thank you for your explanation!

@miapatrick congrats on the 1st (had to ask mum what that was) who said darkly, “something you will never, ever get.” Sorry, but the way she said it was quite funny and she did laugh but then said “that is very, very difficult.” S, well DONE!!

T16

winston @winston

@archaicwhovian   The episode with the wooden cyberman is The Time of the Doctor. It is a Christmas episode and there is a forum here about it.

Missy @missy

This is right out of my memory bank.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F45%2F0d%2F04%2F450d04857f7e8469e744b85991138a35.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F153192824796407435%2F&docid=B0PFaZONpyf3gM&tbnid=2Kr9xJcfsi0BXM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiih6a2sPHfAhXHQ30KHZS8B8UQMwg-KAEwAQ..i&w=212&h=353&bih=758&biw=1600&q=1950%27s%20London%20with%20famous%20Blue%20Police%20Box%20on%20corner%20of%20street&ved=0ahUKEwiih6a2sPHfAhXHQ30KHZS8B8UQMwg-KAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Missy

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@thane16 thank you, and can you thank your mother for me? To be fair, it took me till my late thirties. And took a good deal of glowering at my desk hissing ‘It’s assignment week!’ if someone so much as asked me to put the kettle on. ‘You can have your tea when I’ve graduated.’ I was great fun during this time.

Missy @missy

@rougecyberman

Hello and welcome.

@miapatrick

As you know, I too am a Moffat fan. However, I don’t dislike CC because he isn’t Moffat, but because he is Chibnall and I never liked his writing. SM’s sometimes complex stories were right up my street, they made me think and didn’t preach politics, or what I should believe – unless it was subtlety done of course.

Well done on getting your degree and a 1st.

@kevinwho

But it’s a matter of personal preference.  I’m a Moffat fan ( here’s looking at you @miapatrick ) and I’d rather be dazzled by some brilliant writing, rather than sit around noodling up semi-nonsense.

It’s just me, though.  Don’t think I’m calling out the show or saying you should feel like I do.  This is just what I happen to want from fiction – and it’s not like I get it from any other TV or movies either.  Mostly I read.

Hear, hear and well said.

Missy

Missy @missy

@winston

Quite right about the wooden cyberman, in Time of the Doctor.  The Doctor makes it destroy itself.

Missy

Missy @missy

@seeoswald

We should send a request.  Please bring back Blake’s Seven – or rather re-make Blake’s Seven.

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@kevinwho

Puro here. I didn’t know there are vague prophecies trotted out for finales. The prophecy was a clever algorithm, explained as such and used sensibly to explain why the young Doctor wanted to “run” in the first place. He left because of what he heard.  The regeneration energy was established BG but in AG Who it was used in The Christmas Invasion. The 10th Doctor lost his hand, it grew back, Torchwood nicked it and it hung around there for awhile until Barrowman’s character heard the familiar Tardis wheezing,  grabbed it and off he went: hand in hand. So the 13th can easily drop onto a train and repair any broken bones and bruises. To cram that dialogue in it wouldn’t work with a group of humans who don’t know who you are anyway.

The telepathic circuitry was used repeatedly by most show runners – Martha/Doctor in The Family of Blood; The Frontier in Space (I remember this as it was Delgado’s last Master and orchestrated by Dudley Simpson). Later, Idris uses her own circuitry to ensure Rory finds an old, battered control room by using mental pictures. Like so:

IDRIS:
    (laughs) Your chin is hilarious! (pinches the DOCTOR’S chin then looks at RORY) It means the smell of dust after rain.

RORY:
    What does?

IDRIS:
    Petrichor.

RORY:
    But I didn’t ask.

IDRIS:
    Not yet. But you will.

Notably when the Doctor becomes extremely angry -such as when SmithDoc was laughed at by Angel Bob he starts  to formulate a complex plan. Keeping the Angels talking. 🙂

In Resolution she’s already spoken to the Dalek via a microphone that would be part of the circuitry designed to spook any intruder. And the Daleks live to intrude.

When the recon scout laughs, that’s when she gets into action using “texting” but in this case it’s closer to FaceTime.  She says: biotracking fused to holo-projection” or “my mad TEXT skillz.”

I know very little about this real technology but I know it’s out there. 😉

Puro.

seeoswald @seeoswald

@thane16
    I lived in Brissy from 2006 to 2016. I’m now 3 hours west of Gladstone. I kill 12-15 cane toads a night when my shoulder is not completely stuffed, which it has been for 6 months now…. 🙁 . I still manage to kick a couple to death every now and then.
    @missy
    What’s a good e-mail address for the BBC? or Maybe we could launch an online petition!

seeoswald @seeoswald

@thane16
    I’ve always believed the Doctor’s “Sonic” was telepathic. Only way a device with what appears to be only one button and no display could possibly function in the manner the Doctor uses it.

seeoswald @seeoswald

Note to self:
    The Doctors hand only grew back because his regeneration had not completed, if he had been fully regenerated the hand would have remained missing…. possibly replaced with the Luke Skywalker trick.

I was so disappointed when Torchwood ended… grrrrrr.

geoffers @geoffers

oof… i chuckled mightily at this! some here might get the jokes, as well? i hope…

geoffers @geoffers

oh, youchube… another hearty chuckle!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hi @craig

Since we have a very long wait for new Who, do you think we might revisit some old Who to discuss?

And I mean really old Who. Specifically, “The Meddling Monk”.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave   I think it would be fun to look back at older episodes of Who and discuss them and I hope @craig  considers it. I am lacking in my knowledge of BG Who and it would be mostly new to me, in fact I admit to never watching “The Meddling Monk”. Sorry.

winston @winston

There is a new show on here called “New Amsterdam” about a hospital in New York and one of the Doctors is played by Freema Agyeman,  our own Martha Jones. I heard her  on the TV from the other room and recognized her voice. It looks OK but I have not watched it yet.

@winston

You must watch it! It is lots of fun, and it is the first time a renegade Time Lord is introduced. And it is about 1066!

Here is a brief clip (approved by the BBC!):

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/05/doctor-who-whoopi-goldberg-reveals-she-wanted-to-be-the-first-female-doctor

Sometimes, it seems, the BBC suits make the right decision…I mean, yes, she’s funny, but…

Unfortunately, I do not find that she contains enough of the Doctor’s “charm”. I feel that the role of the Doctor isn’t just one for any actor who can act, but they themselves must possess qualities that make us ponder “Oh, I feel that they would be great as the Doctor!) To be honest, there aren’t a lot of actors, at least in my preferences, that I have seen that make me think that way. Goldberg is extraordinary, and she does possess the character for someone with both intelligence and a little bit of humor, just not the Doctor. I am not stating that I would be disappointed to see her become the Doctor, I am sure that she could execute it well, I just have others in mind.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave and @archaicwhovian   I really like Whoopi and I am happy she is such a Whovian but as the Doctor? Who nose? It would be great if she could do an episode of Who , maybe as an alien.

syzygy @thane16

was on youtube (& survived) & I found a set of little eps on “easter eggs’ in DR Who. Incl Flatline, the Day of, The Time of, Family of Blood, the time when Oswin first appears. I should link to it.

Of them all, I remember only 3. That’s terrible!

Good fun.

Puro

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@archaicwhovian,@winston,@blenkinsopthebrave she’s a great actor, but… I don’t want the Doctor to be anything but British. It’s probably as irrational as people not wanting the Doctor to be female, the Doctor isn’t, after all, human. I don’t object to American actors playing British characters, or vice versa. I’d forgotten that Christian Bale was British. ,So I’m not entirely sure what my problem is with it, and it is something I bare in mind when I encounter people who are opposed to the changing in sex. (Not the people who think the Doctor should be white, I have no patience with that.)

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,039 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.