On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 937 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  rggoodie 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 901 through 938 (of 938 total)
  • Author
    Melody22411 @melodyhughes

Hi, <span>I</span> just wanted to know everyones opinion, <span>I</span> am 19, and every since <span>I </span>was a very young girl, I have been obsessed with the doctor, never missed an episode, then season 6, episode 7 arrived, ‘a good man goes to war’. The episode where Riversong was born, but what shocked me the most was, her birth name was Melody, my name, you can imagine 11  year old me was speechless, Melody isn’t a common name at all, clearly this is just a coincidence, or is it???

ArchaicWhovian @archaicwhovian

Salutations! Well, Pond came to mean “River”, therefore, I suppose that it would be necessary to determine the meaning of your last name. If it has to do with a body of water, well, we should be friends.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig, @bluesqueakpip, @thane16, @winston, @janetteb, @cathannabel, and, well, everybody

I mentioned this before, but, I think it would be a great idea if we could have a discussion about Dr Who again. After all, that is why we are here.

So @craig, (and everyone) what about “The Meddling Monk”?

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave – Unfortunately, my BG Who experience doesn’t extend to him, so I can’t help there.  I did put a blog entry up to try to generate discussion, though, for what that’s worth.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave. I second that suggestion. The Meddling Monk was a fun story. I always enjoy the “history” episodes though I was not so sure that the Monk’s meddling, had it succeeded would have necessarily been such a bad thing. I suspect my Cumbrian ancestors would have preferred the alternate history that would have resulted. (That is if my memory of the story is correct. I don’t think I even fully watched it when it was repeated on TV in 2005 or 6 and have not watched it since.)

cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave   I think that would be a great idea and it could spark some new conversations. I shall see if I can find it at my library.

Now, while I feel that I rival most in Whovian authenticity within my local area (at least that’s what I like to think), I feel at loss due to the fact that I constantly come across references which are new to me that is familiar with everyone else. Among these. I find that the terms B.G. and A.G. get tossed around quite a bunch around here. What is their meaning? Do they refer to a period in the show’s history, whether it be production or storyline?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave, @janetteb and @winston

The one slight problem is that we’ve already watched and discussed it, about four years back. I think it was one of the first Hartnells we watched. And we can’t really do the Dalek Master Plan because it’s mostly lost. There’s nothing to stop a second rewatch – the conversations are already set up.

I’ve been spending my day off binge-watching the Whittaker Doctor’s first series, which has been fun. I think we really were looking in the wrong direction for the arc – watch the episodes close together and it becomes clear that the arc is both the new Doctor’s character development and Graham and Ryan’s developing relationship and recovery from the loss of Grace.

Anyway, Hartnell. Rewatch The Time Meddler, or pick another Hartnell?

@archaicwhovian

They’re short for Before Gap and After Gap. The Gap is the over-long period when Who wasn’t being produced. After Gap starts with the episode Rose.

Other sites refer to Classic Who and New Who, but we felt that identifying an era by whether it was before or after the Gap was more value-neutral.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BLUE SQUEAK PIP. I AM YOUR DEBT.

winston @winston

@bluesqueakpip   Thanks for the heads up on the Time Meddler. I looked and found the discussions right where they should be. Now I need to find the episodes and watch them because they look good. Maybe we can find an episode we have not re-watched , I am open to anything.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave @bluesqueakpip, @thane16, @winston, @janetteb, @cathannabel,

I’m afraid I’m currently having to deal with some personal matters but normal service should be resumed in March. Hopefully you can wait until then.

We still have a short Chibnall retrospective to do, and a whole host of female Timelord stories lined up too.

winston @winston

@craig  No problem, I have a bunch of Who to watch and a whole lot of time on my hands so I can certainly wait. I hope everything in your life goes smoothly, these days its the most we can ask for.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip and @blenkinsopthebrave It turns out I even posted a comment on that thread but I had not rewatched the story so my memory is not entirely shot. Must be time I remedied that. There are several early Hartnell stories which I have only seen the once.

Cheers

Janette

@bluesqueakpip, @winston, @janetteb By golly, we did discuss it back then. Of course, I have entered the phase of life when what I did yesterday is often a mystery to me…

Until @craig is back on deck (best wishes) might I suggest that if you can find a copy on a streaming service or online (particularly those who might not have seen much early Who) that you try and find the box entitled “Lost in Time” that includes some of the existing episodes from shows that are otherwise lost due to the BBC policy of wiping tapes back in the mid sixties. There are some fascinating glimpses of shows from the Hartnell/Troughton years.

On the other hand, @bluesqueakpip may remind us that we discussed that as well back in the mists of time, and lost to the Blenkinsop memory…

Just reporting back on a re-watch of one of the partial stories contained in the disc “Lost in Time”.

the story is the brilliant “The Crusade” from 1965. Scripted by David Whitaker, and directed by Douglas Camfield (perhaps the best writer and best director of the early years–although they have contenders) it is a fourt-part story set in Palestine involving the Crusade led by King Richard (played by Julian Glover) against Saladin (played by the wonderful Bernard Kay). It really is one of the very best early Who stories.

it also features the incomparable Jean Marsh as Richard’s sister Joanna. It is a story of palace intrigue and those that suffer when warriors thirst for war. The comparison between Richard and Saladin is really interesting–Richard is not portrayed as all that likeable, expecting his sister to offer herself to Saladin as a bride, for example, while Saladin is the wise, but weary ruler surrounded (as is Richard) by military leaders who thirst for battle.

The picture it presents of Palestine is a cosmopolitan one, where the futility of war is obvious to the viewer. At a time (the late 50s, early 60s) when Britain had engaged in some less than admirable military ventures (the Mau Mau Rebellion, For example) the story is both complex and yet still able to be understood by children. It remains a family show about time travel, and yet the story is making a serious political point about war and imperialism. Now, who would have thought Doctor Who ever did that…?

If you can, watch it (two episodes remain intact, the other two are audio only).

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks for that summary @blenkinsopthebrave

I remember The Crusade making an impact on me at the time as a little un (and you’re right about Douglas Camfield. His direction work turns up in a lot of 60s/early series, and it’s always notable)

ScaryB @scaryb

Just popped in as I came across this tonight. Director Rachel Talaley in session at Gallifrey One, talking about making Heaven Sent. She posted this – a breakdown of her first impressions of, and notes about, the first scene. For those of us who like the technical behind the scenes (and sofa) insider view, it’s fascinating. So complicated!

http://racheltalalay.tumblr.com/post/135339295759/notes-on-heaven-sent-part-1

@scaryb (waves!)

It is hard to think of a Who story more relevant to today’s headlines than “The Crusade”. And I really do mean today’s headlines.

@scaryb That material from Rachel Talalay is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for posting.

I will have some reflections, but it is coming up to 5pm Pacific time in Canada which means…off to the pub!

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave *waves back*

Talalay post – I agree (and apologies for it posting with the full length preview* (I just begin to think I’ve got the hang of this posting thing, then that happens!)). I love her direction (like Camfield, it’s got a flair, expertise and depth, that adds to the storytelling).

Must go and check out the Crusade again, you’ve stirred a lot of memories in me old brain. There’s a lot to be learned from Dr Who, old ones and new. Enjoy the pub, old friend. I’m off to bed (after midnight here in the northern territory of the “old country”). Cheers.

*Any mods about who want to fix that, please feel free 🙂

thane16 @thane16

@scaryb

that’s brilliant to read Scary, thank you: hope you’re doing well.

Puro x

thane16 @thane16

@scaryb  your headline comment caused me to jump to this thought. For the wordsmiths out there & you know who you are – & @mudlark are you home yet?

I see this headline:

thousands demonstrate against Climate Change.”

Is that the correct way to write: Climate Change is a THING & it’s bad so we protest
    ?  It could be read as “we’re protesting against it because it’s not real & our jobs are fading etc etc

Puro

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16  (puro)

The curse of headline writing. Headlines have to be succinct but, as in this case, compression frequently leads to ambiguity. It is usually possible to discern the intended meaning, nevertheless, and  Thousands march in protest against the failure of governments to take effective and timely action to prevent devastating climate change – or other words to that effect – is a bit long winded, after all. I tend to ignore headlines and just read the text below.

Yes I’m home and have finally shaken off the chest infection which plagued me throughout most of January.  The Dermatology department at the hospital took their time about contacting me with the results of the biopsy, but it  confirmed that the blob on my nose is a basal cell carcinoma – slow growing and not a matter of great urgency.  Moh’s surgery s recommended and is scheduled to take place at the beginning of April. Before that (March 5th) I have an appointment at the Eye Clinic. Recently I have noticed a deterioration in vision in my left eye and a check up last week revealed that a membrane has formed over the implanted lens – no great problem as it can be zapped with a laser. A photo of the retina also revealed what might be traces of a small haemorrhage which could be more serious, but I suspect it is a false alarm.

Otherwise I’m OK though still in dormouse mode.

Mudlark @mudlark

@scaryb   The comments by Rachel Talalay on the first scene of Heaven Sent are fascinating. I’m always amazed at how much intricate thought goes into the details, and it certainly paid off in this instance.  Interesting that Pierrefonds castle was referenced as an inspiration. I remember visiting it in the early spring of 1961 when I was attending a short French Language course in Compiegne. Viollet Leduc at his OTT best!  I believe it was also used in the filming of Merlin, though I confess that I never watched that show – my loss, no doubt, and maybe I’ll get round to it some day.

@scaryb

After reading the Rachel Talalay notes you uploaded, I watched Heaven Sent again last night. Fascinating to compare the notes with the way it was realized. The whole was very effective, yet I wonder if the TV monitors clashed a bit with the dream-like quality of the castle? For me, perhaps they did. But it was still a damned effective episode, and the insight her notes gave into the way it was conceived and realized was very, very interesting.

thane16 @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave -me too! It was a late night of telly watching for the Puro Crew

@mudlark Eyes, noses, next it’ll be ears! Glad your chest infection has diminished, however & thank you for the answer.

Puro

Missy @missy

@seeoswald

Sorry for delay.

I don’t know an email address, but if people are interested, it’s simply BBC RADIO 4 EXTRA

on you computer. They even have episodes of Doctor who (Tom Baker and Colin Baker) as a play, not visual.

Whatever your taste, you’ll find it there as I mentioned on a recent post – which people must a have missed or aren’t interested.

Their loss, not mine. *grins*

Missy

Everyone

Just flagging that I have a new blog up – which is really my take on the Series 11 arc. Other series arcs may be available. 🙂

More seriously, since it’s now time enough for Series 11 to have sunk in, so to speak, I wondered if we could use the comment sections of the blog to talk about Series 11 as-a-whole, rather than as individual episodes?

winston @winston

@bluesqueakpip  The blog is great and I have written 2 replies over there that seem to disappear into thin air or another time?  That is too bad because I wanted to tell that I agree with you about the loss of Grace and how it effects  Ryan and Graham in this series, how it changes all of them because loss is change and change can be scary. There is the loss of Grace and Bill and even our crusty old 12th Doctor to challenge Team Tardis.

I only watched the first 3 episodes when it aired and had to wait till yesterday to get the series from the library so after a re-watch of the first 3 I will carry on with the rest and then comment again on your blog. Hopefully it won’t disappear again. Thanks for the post, it came at the right time for me.

@winston

Yes, loss after death was a good arc for this series – because, in the subtext, we had the loss of just about everything except the format and the technical staff. Producers, leading actors, writing team – all gone.

I’m going to check the settings on the blog in case there’s anything I can do – it might be a time-out or a connection drop, though.

Okay, I’ve been thinking about our BG episode recap discussions.

Generally, we’ve run them as follows: @craig sets up a thread for each episode in the story, we discuss them. But that puts a lot of work on Craig, who has to set up a new thread weekly. That became apparent during The Invasion of Time discussion, when it just wasn’t possible for him to publish a thread beyond Episode 1.

So: one possible solution would to use the blog facility for BG story discussions, with posters with blog privileges agreeing to host each story. Either we could have a blog per episode, or one blog per story – if the latter, I’m thinking that the host could add the new episode to the blog each week. Either way, the discussion would take place in the blog comments.

Do we want to restart BG watches? Do we want to keep on with the ‘Women Time Lords’ theme, or say that didn’t work and try something else? If Women Time Lords, do we want to restart with Invasion of Time or say ‘we all hated it, let’s move on to Romana I’?

Thoughts?

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip Keen to restart the BG watches and am happy to go with the “Women Time Lords” theme if that is what we are doing. Happy with whatever is chosen really and with whatever works best for Craig and the other mods. I was also thinking of maybe doing a podcast, (on my local community site) to coincide with the discussion here at some point through the year too. (there are others to be consulted on that though.)

cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

Oh and just for the record, for all its faults and they were many, I still enjoy Invasion of Time. I thought it was great when I was a teenager and first watched it.

Cheers (again)

Janette

Welcome back @craig!

And you return bearing treats! You are a beneficent Emperor indeed.

rggoodie @rggoodie

New to the forum, but have been a Dr Who fan since 1967, when I discovered him on television in New Zealand.

In recent years I have seen a episode – perhaps a TV movie about the creation of the series. In the episode it showed the selection the the cranky doctor the design of the interior of the Tardis made on a desktop.

I am trying to locate this episode- show for viewing by my grandson.

Can anyone guide me to the show I am look for?

Thanking you in advance

janetteB @janetteb

@rggoodie You are looking for An Adventure in Time and Space, a dramatisation of the beginning of Dr Who. I indeed love that scene you are describing.

cheers

Janette

rggoodie @rggoodie

Thank you so much.

My grandson and I are now watching it.

Viewing 38 posts - 901 through 938 (of 938 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.