On the Sofa (part 2)

Home Forums General On the Sofa (part 2)

This topic contains 918 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOULJqX62as
    Doctor Who theme performed at Jodrell Bank
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Sl9hX_g2w
    Russell T Davies on Doctor Who’s return 
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot
    Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who Panel from Space City Con part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPXQN3c4rs
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

The other secret Doctor – The David Burton conspiracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5d5pQM7IGo   The Other Eighth Doctor?
    z

http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – awww, you’re spoiling me.  🙂  Thanks for posting that.

I’m still in the midst of watching your lovely addendum for Sylvester McCoy, but this bit caught my eye:

The idea was, that in the 4th season, we were gonna peel the onion, and scrape … y’know, take off some more layers, and underneath we had this kind of plan, that the Doctor would actually have been one of ‘the Triumverate’ that had created the Gallifreyan society.  That was the plan.  So, in fact, he was a much more powerful, erm, entity, than had previously been the case.

Bring back the mystery … that was the real ambition.  To make the audience wonder ‘Who … Who is he?  What?  Why?  Can we trust this?’

It would be verrry interesting indeed if any of that comes out in the 50th or in the next series with Peter Capaldi.  (Speaking of which, I’m a bit disappointed that SMcCoy affected to not remember Peter’s last name, and drearily decided to run with Malcolm Tucker’s swearing as affecting PC’s interpretation of the Doctor.)

Anonymous @

@wolfweed — by a bizarre coincidence I also came across that YouTube piece on Burton today. There’s something quite endearingly pitiful in the whole tale I think. It seems to have overtones of ‘Creme Brulee’ to it and I could totally imagine this is a scenario in The League of Gentlemen.

Anonymous @

And @wolfweed, this again from your Sylvester McCoy link is pertinent to what we’ve been screening for BG Who episodes:

Q: I watched ‘Ghostlight’ last night, and I was wondering if it was true, that even the actors didn’t know what in god’s name was happening.

A:  True.  {laughter}  Yes, I still don’t know what happened.  I mean, I’ve asked the author what happened, and I don’t think he knew what happened.  He did say – someone said – ‘Read the book, it’ll tell you what happened.’  It was a shame, really, I enjoyed the writing of the character of the Doctor in it.  I thought he did a very good job.  And it was interesting for Sophie, to play the part, too.  She was given a lot to do, but … I have no idea what’s going on.  But that’s what life is, with no idea what’s going on, do we?

I don’t feel so bad now, having watched the three parts of Ghostlight and having been utterly flummoxed!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    TardisBlue @tardisblue

@wolfweed,

Since we first meet the Eighth Doctor in San Francisco (remember he nearly left 1 of his hearts there!), doesn’t he deserve his very own subway map?

http://www.bart.gov/images/global/system-map.gife

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

(@scaryb @jimthefishhave you had this problem, too?)

I HATE NATIONAL RAIL.  Yes, I’m shouting.  But I have a reason …

Last week, I checked train fares from The North to London in November (even though it was too early then to book for the 23rd November weekend itself).  Return fares for the weekend prior to the celebrations were/are £46.

Today, I can finally request the actual weekend in question, and return fares are over £100.

Bastards.  They know what’s going on that weekend in London and are soaking us poor saps outside the M25 who want to meet up in London over the 50th anniversary weekend of Doctor Who.

Hmmpphh.  Well, I’ll still book something (seething with rage at the injustice), and continue to hope that our lovely local London correspondents can advise a dog-friendly pub for Friday 22nd November to meet in.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot– have you tried going into the station and asking ‘what is the cheapest fair I can get to London on this date’? You’ll end up going quite late at night or unforgivably early in the morning, but they often do have cheap fares.

other than that- re-nationalise the railways now! (They can’t get any worse…)

Anonymous @

@shazzbot — yeah, there definitely gets a point where it makes much more sense to fly for virtually the same amount of money and a fraction (ish) of the hassle….

Anonymous @

@miapatrick @jimthefish

Mia – the problem is, I’m in Ruralshire with (thankfully, but not helpfully in this instance) hourly bus service to the nearest town with a train station.  And that hourly bus service runs until the luxurious hour of 18:30, so I’m beholden to train times which return me to said town prior to the ungodly hour of 6:30pm.  🙂  But yes, RE-NATIONALISE!  (sorry, shouted again)  Because privatisation of the railway network has worked SO WELL, just like privatisation of all other public services (water, electricty, gas, ad infinitum).  {/rant over}

Jim – fly?  ha ha ha ha!  I perhaps could request a lift from one of the fighter jets that occasionally bespoil our perfect Yorkshire Dales air with their screaming sonic booms.  I wish I had the equanimity of the preacher in Local Hero (“at least if they’re bombing here, they’re not bombing anyplace else … it’s kind of comforting”).  But I suspect that getting to my nearest airport would involve at least as much contortion, both physically and financially, as just getting on the bloody expensive train(s) to London.  🙁

Miapatrick @miapatrick

mmm- how much are taxis? Then again, you’ll probably end up with the option of saving about £20 max , and at the end of the day you’ve got to put some value on a good nights sleep. Just don’t do what I once did from Manchester to London return: risk an unbelievably cheap coach service. Yes, you can get from t’north to that London for £1. In a bus that’s been retired from public transport. You’ll even get an upgrade to a proper coach, after being stranded on the moterway for three hours. (proper coach will also smell of wee).

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick and @Shazzbot – coaches won’t work, I’m afraid. They don’t take dogs.

Unless you’re going to a dog show, of course, in which case there’s often a specially booked coach full of dogs (and attached humans) from all the Ruralshires, deepest England, heading with grim determination towards either a) giant field, middle of Nowhere or b) giant exhibition centre, middle of Somewhere.

Which digression is of no help at all, because as far as I can work out there’s no show closer than Beds on the 23rd. Honestly, you’d think there was something on in London that had booked the Excel centre…

🙂

Okay, getting more serious: @Shazzbot, have you checked if you can get a cheaper ticket by breaking the journey in two? Or buying two singles? For example, it’s often cheaper to get one ticket to a major station where they have the ‘headline’ deals. Then get singles each way.

A return from York is nearly £98, but if you get two singles, you can drop it down to between £50 and £60.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – Thanks for your suggestions.  But … I’ve tried the journey-breaking trick.  I’ve tried alternate dates.  I can do a return trip for a reasonable price ONLY if I leave on Sunday 24th.  I wanted to stay the whole weekend, leaving on Monday, but that day – and every single day after that – is what raises the price to over £100.

National Rail as of today will only allow a booking for a return (at the latest) on Monday 25th.  But TheTrainLine allows me to check all the way into December for a return, and it’s the return (after Sunday) that is the price issue.

Assuming we’re all getting together on the Friday night (22nd), I guess I could leave on the Sunday, and come a day or so earlier in the week.  Perhaps I was also assuming there’d be something that would keep me up Saturday night the 23rd (whatever might that be?!) and I’d need a lie-in on Sunday … but I’ll just have to re-think my slumber requirements.  🙂

@Shazzbot – have you tried a single ticket there and a single ticket back?

The problem may be that the cheap APEX tickets go on sale 12 weeks beforehand – so it may be that they haven’t yet released the cheap tickets for the Monday.

Have a look at the singles – if there’s a huge difference between Friday and Monday, it might just be that they’re releasing Monday 25th November on the 9th or something stupid. TheTrainLine usually has some system where you can sign up to be sent an email alert when they go on sale.

@Shazzbot

Addendum: a quick look on TheTrainLine for the Monday 25th November had them giving me the ‘do you want to sign up to be notified’ message – so I’d guess they haven’t yet released the cheapies for Monday.

WhoviansRcool @whoviansrcool

hello fellow whovians. i wanted to start this “rant” of sort with a confession. I am in no way a natural born whovian. In fact, in the mind of some, I’m the type of fan that some Whovians hate. I am a natural born english bloke however, i was raised in florida in America. We dont exactly have a long running history with the show here and in all truths, i gained most if not all of my knowledge off Netflix and Tardis wiki. When i was younger my twin sister discovered the marvelous universe of doctor who from my gran when she came to visit. When they found out that it was rebooted, they spent countless hours watching it. At first, the horrible sfx kept me at bay and i hated the unrealism of the show. i could not stand it. However, it wasnt until my mother left back to england and i was stuck with my sister until we finished high (secondary) school that i started watching doctor who.

I began where most did, an eccentric whovian begging me to sit and watch just one episode. She popped on netflix and skipped all the way to the 5th series. I asked her why not start from the beggining. She just said “The begining? Sorry they dont have “The Unearthly Child” on netflix” I had no clue what she meant and before i knew it, i was glued to the telly as she played the 11th hour. I was heart broken when 8 year old amelia had turned into 20 year old amy right before my (and the doctors) eyes. I was terrified at the thought of the atraxi blowing our little level 5 planet to smitherines. And, i was bought when i heard Smith threaten the atraxi by exclaiming “Hello, I’m the doctor. And basically, run.”

I watched at awe and disbelief leading me to say that one crucial line that changed my world. no it wasnt “turn left”. I said to my sister, “One more episode”. I was sunk. I watched Smiths first two series on netflix and then i bought the start of the 7th series and watched the second half on BBC America. But it wasnt until “The name of the doctor” that flipped my world upside down inside out and on a collision course with raxacorcafallabatorios (probably butchered the spelling). I was scared to think that The beloved 11th would regenerate into the 80 year old John Hurt. my mind spinned at the thought of him messing up the doctors numbering system. And i hated the idea of an older doctor.

My sister of course slapped me when i said this and told me it’s time for me to watch the first series “9th doctor?” i said. “1st” she replied. I saw Hartnell and suddenly i realised that all the research i had done, all the episodes i had watched, all the plot holes i filled, were nothing. Because i knew nothing. Thats when my inner whovian was born.

Since then, i have seen every episode of the nu who, at least a few from every doctor (excluding 8) and own my own memoribilla (sonic screwdrivers, daleks, bow ties, even the 7ths umbrella) and i am not afraid to say that the doctor has changed my life drastically. I’m never hopeless anymore. I never feel like an alien. And i am indeed happy to be English! I think i speak for us all when i say that our first encounter with the doctor wasnt just watching a new series but was indeed a “fixed point” in our lives. In america, no one knows what Doctor Who is , but that doesnt stop me from letting the world know that whovians are strong, whovians are loyal, and above all else. . . . . . WhoviansRcool!

Anonymous @

@miapatrick @bluesqueakpip – Ladies, between the two of you I think you’ve solved my problem.

Mia, you mentioned Manchester (albeit in a coach reference; Bluey’s right, they don’t allow dogs), and Bluey, you talked about breaking the journey.  Last night I was trying the logical places to break my journey, but this morning I tried London -> Manchester and then Man -> my nearest station for Monday 25th Nov, and … that works.  It’s a bit of faffing about but I’ll save over 60 quid on the total return fare.

Yippee!  Thanks you guys.  I owe both of you a drink (and with what you’ve saved me on the train fare, perhaps a couple of drinks 😀 ).  Now, about that dog-friendly pub … any ideas?

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1sqDyGCbjY
    z
    Doctor Who’s line is it anyway

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V5ccIro06I

SCREAM OF THE SHALKA trailer…
    z
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJZmfRS1Wus
    Making Of Scream of the Shalka

@wolfweed – wot, no Crazy Captions?

Suggesting the following (from Masque of Mandragora)

Masque

Still not ginger!

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @wolfweed

For some reason, I saw that pic and thought ‘I Gotta Be Me’

Anonymous @

Lack of anniversary build-up over the summer stressing you out? I find this helps…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot Train travel – dunno if you’re sorted yet but try http://www.eastcoast.co.uk (it’s what everything else links to) – assuming you’re travelling from York? (if you’re not getting cheap fares showing up from there – try from Edinburgh (it’s stupid but occasionally you get better deal, and the ticket’s still valid). They only do up to 12 wks adv so just gone on sale this week. Mostly under £50 (tho less choice at weekends). Best of luck.

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves> @bluesqueakpip @Shazzbot @htpbdet @craig @juniperfish (you still posted missing???) @phaseshift @jimthefish @wolfweed @janetteb @blenkinsopthebrave and everyone (WOW – we’ve sneaked up nearly 100 members since I was last in).

Apologies for absence 🙂 (Me mam’s got the note).

@htpbdet Just adding my best wishes for your speedy recovery, really hope they’ve got your meds sorted out now and you’re ready to come back soon – I need someone to laugh at my jokes 😉

Got  a lot of lurking to do to catch up – yikes! am 2 episodes behind on @jimthefish‘s reboot blog, and many Crazy Captions.  (LOL’d at the Dalek Relaxation vid – after watching half of it  I’m pretty sure I’m probably not a dalek. Solved any lurking oversleeping problems tho). Not to mention needing mega-watching catch up.  Good to be back tho, glad you’ve not been trolled out (knew you’d be better than that).

Any news on poss viewing places in London for the 50th?

ScaryB @scaryb

Ed Festival report – great fun – did a bit of a Dr Who tour – caught up with Neil Gaiman at a booksigning – he was just lovely, watched Michael Gambon doing Beckett (with Harriet Jones (aka Penelope Wilton) on voiceover duties (brilliantly)) but missed Neve McIntosh – she slipped under my radar till last day.  Avoided 2 DW themed shows, but caught up with a 3rd one which was fun for fans.

<thinks may have recovered enough from JtF’s dalek relaxation vid above to try to sleep now>

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed Dr Who Trivial Pursuit???

Want it!!

daftmunkee @daftmunkee

@Shazzbot Thank you for the great info.

janetteB @janetteb

@scaryb. Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you have a very interesting time at the Edinburgh festival. I’ll second your wishes re @htpbdet. He has been been absent for some time how and I miss his contributions.

@jimthefish My cat was most unimpressed by the Dalek relaxation tape. 🙂

cheers

Janette.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Good to see you back. Hope you had/have fun catching up.

First time I saw Neil Gaiman was at a signing for Good Omens in Leeds with Terry Pratchett. At that time no-one except comic book fans seemed to know who he was, so while Terry was signing mountains of his books, he was very laid back (he only signed Good Omens if people asked). I think MrsPhaseshift delighted him by asking him to sign a copy of Black Orchid.

I doubt he gets away with that these days.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 24 pines for your attention…
    z

StaceyB @staceyb

So confused – never used a Forum before! 

** DW 50TH ANNIVERSARY TICKETS **  I have two ADULT tickets for Friday 22nd November and two CHILD tickets for Saturday 23rd November available.  Both Weeping Angel tickets. Selling at face value of £45 each for adult tickets and £26 each for child ticket.  I ended up buying too many tickets, because of all the problems using their website!  Please let me know if you are interested in buying them.  Thanks.  Stacey xx

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnuNvCbKCPU
    K-9 (from Doctor Who) made out of Zen Magnets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdjb98DNB8s
    Doctor Who Dalek Cake HOW TO COOK THAT 
    z

Just a heads-up to those watching the BBC3 repeats – they seem to have decided to start racing through S7 part 2. Cold War is on tomorrow, Sat 7th Sept, at 7pm.

Hopefully they’re racing through because there are goodies planned for October, but don’t hold your breath…

TardisBlue @tardisblue

Just read that someone has a Kickstarter campaign going on to fund a 59th anniversary poetry book.  http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pageviews/2013/09/crowdfunded-doctor-who-poetry-book-on-the-way

@scaryb, glad to have you back.  I’ve always thought that the Edinburgh Festival would be fun to attend — so glad you were able to go.

TardisBlue

ScaryB @scaryb

@tardisblue

Thanks for welcome back. Edinburgh Festival is indeed a crazy but fun maelstrom.

Thanks for the info on the poetry book – your typo was interesting – I clicked cos I thought “59th anniverary… eh?!” Wasn’t over-impressed with the poetry, but loved the opener –

What rhymes with TARDIS?

What indeed…? Not too-taxing on-the-sofa trivia question for Saturday afternoon 🙂

(…barred this? …bard is?)

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Hopefully they’re racing through because there are goodies planned for October, but don’t hold your breath…

I’m always optimistic! (well mostly)

Haha – I’m still catching up with the last episode of Ghostlight, then Caves, then the Moffat summary – 4 different Doctors simultaneously – planning mega catch-up with Dr Who overload very soon 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

What rhymes with TARDIS?

far dis…

tance

😉

donnanobol @donnanobol

i’m new in this forum so i say you hello 😉

i know it’s strange but i don’t understand what is the silent and why nobody must know what is the name of the doctor

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kRCYQ112E
    Doctor Who Series 7 Soundtrack – Remember Me
    z

This youtube channel has uploaded 9 tracks from the forthcoming album…

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@jimthefish– MED-I-TATE

(Why did that Dalek remind me of my dentist…)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 25 has forgotten what to say…
    z

Anonymous @

Exterminate Exterminate *walks in my room* Exterminate?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hey everyone <waves fishily> – I’ve been a bit MIA – arrgh so much to catch up on!

Looking forward to the sofa here as the Autumn encroaches upon our last golden days of Summer (in the UK anyway).

I imagine Mr. Capaldi making faces in the mirror, tap-dancing with butterflies, as the Doctor starts to inhabit him.

Welcome to the blue box of anticipation!

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘On the Sofa (part 2)’ is closed to new replies.