Spoilers (4)

Home Forums General Spoilers (4)

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bluesqueakpip 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

As the old Spoilers thread has passed its maximum allowed posts, this is a new Spoilers thread for, obviously, spoilers. If you wish to share any Doctor Who related rumours or ‘unofficial’ news (i.e. not released/officially confirmed by the BBC) please post them here.

When @ mentioning other members, please bear in mind that not everyone is interested in spoilers so take care who you mention. Perhaps the best way to avoid inadvertently mentioning someone is to check back through the thread. If a particular member has never posted then assume they do not want to receive messages.

The previous thread can be found here: https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/spoilers-3/

wolfweed @wolfweed

Filming set to return to Garth Hill trig point…

gh

wolfweed @wolfweed

Apparently it’s confirmed that the next Dr has a Yorkshire accent!   Also….

wolfweed @wolfweed

synopsis – twice-upon-time

janetteB @janetteb

I am glad that Jodie W’ is keeping her accent. I think it adds so much to the character. It was a shame that D.T. did not keep his.

Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb  I found Tennant’s accent in Broadchurch nearly impenetrable (never had a problem with Capaldi’s).  Tannant’s isn’t Glasgow, is it?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@ichabod

David Tennant was born in Bathgate, but brought up in Paisley. So his accent is West Scotland, but not Glasgow.

MissRori @missrori

Hmm, we finally have some hints as to the antagonists.  Moffat did say “new monsters”, and I can’t think of a previously-established Who race that fits the official description.

I noted in the last thread that a friend of mine suspects Moffat’s going to bookend his tenure on the revival with one last Everybody Lives story.  Perhaps these aliens have a sympathetic motivation for their kidnappings — their abilities do sound like the Time Lords’ extraction technology, and poor Twelve had a sympathetic reason to pluck Clara from time in “Hell Bent”.  If so, perhaps the Doctors will redeem them, which would fit in with the Moff saying that redemption is a theme of this story.  Gloriously happy triumph for everyone!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  David Tennant was born in Bathgate, but brought up in Paisley.

Thanks!

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip though Paisley is not exactly far from Glascow. I know accents change over very short distances in the U.K. but looking at the map it still brought a smile to my face so I assume an Ayrshire accent is not the same as a Glascow or Paisley accent. (My knowledge of the geography of South West Scotland is advancing in leaps and bounds at the moment.)
    Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb

Paisley is not exactly far from Glascow.

No, it isn’t. On the other hand, Chester and Flint are about as far apart, and they’re in different UK countries. 🙂

As you say, accents can change over very short distances in the UK. Rochdale is about as far away from Manchester as Paisley is from Glasgow, and the two accents are quite distinct. Generally, big cities like Glasgow or Liverpool or Manchester will have their own accent, and the surrounding areas will have theirs.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip I believe that even within cities, (such as Manchester) accents vary from suburb to suburb, which isn’t really surprising. Even within Adelaide the eastern suburbs residents have affectations that would be laughed at in other areas and there are pockets in the north where strong English accents still predominate.
    It was interesting to see how many Dr Who alumni come from Paisley, most notably Steven Moffat and Neve McIntosh.
    (I have been recently doing research into Ayrshire history recently and really regretting that when we visited Scotland a few years ago we drove straight through the South West. Next time.)
    Cheers
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

Now that we know a little bit more about the special — namely, who’s responsible for Time freezing over — I’ve been chewing over various theories and predictions still flying about elsewhere as to what will happen for Christmas.  😉

It’s been pointed out that if these Glass People (only one of whom has a speaking role, which may or may not be a  significant detail) are the antagonists, this might just be the first revival-era regeneration story in which the Last Great Time War and/or the Daleks are not involved in any way, shape, or form.  Which would make sense — Gallifrey hasn’t been so much as mentioned since “Hell Bent” (end of Series 9) and the Daleks have had only cameos since “The Witch’s Familiar” (top of Series 9), even though both stories left loose ends that could be picked up somewhere down the line yet have gone untouched so far — Twelve’s relationship with his people, the prickly relationship he had with Ohila, what became of Time Lord-energy boosted Davros and the Daleks (did some survive Skaro’s collapse?), etc.

But at least as long as rumors that One and Twelve would be teaming up for this special have been around, there have been rumors that the story would involve their respective hands in the events of “The Day of the Doctor”, finally tying off the long-standing question of when Twelve pulled that lever — a question I would argue is more pertinent after the endgame of Series 9.

I can see him sealing off the deal before they imprisoned him in the dial and tortured him, but afterward?  I’d be sorely tempted to let ’em rot instead.  Yes, he would still have to do it to keep the Web of Time on an even keel and insure his own existence, but — especially if he remembers Clara now, as the end of “The Doctor Falls” suggests — wouldn’t he have a moment of doubt?  Frankly, seeing him hesitate over the decision before doing what’s right, remembering he’s doing it more for Gallifrey’s innocents than the Time Lords themselves, would be more dramatic than treating it as a formality, if it turns out that he helped save Gallifrey at the end of his life.  (Wouldn’t Clara remember if he’d done it when they were traveling together, and maybe brought it up in “Hell Bent”?   By comparison Bill and even Nardole don’t seem to know much about the Time Lords in general, so if he did it while traveling with them, well, they’d just think it was “a thing” he was doing.)

Frankly, at only an hour long I think trying to bring in “The Day of the Doctor”‘s events might be overstuffing the story, since there’s already an all-new alien race to establish as a genuine giant, time-quaking threat that needs two Doctors to fix, followed by what will have to be a somewhat lengthy denouement — getting the Captain back to WWI and revealing his final fate (and actual identity if it isn’t established earlier — we still don’t know his given name), said Doctors parting, (possibly) One’s regeneration, Twelve saying goodbye to Bill, a “proper” sendoff for the Twelfth Doctor as a character, his regeneration, and finally Thirteen’s first scene.

And all that is assuming that the special isn’t bringing in any other companions or villains — and we already have heard rumors of Clara and the diner TARDIS showing up at some point, along with tons of fan requests for Susan to make an appearance.  And if we’re getting Bill, what about Heather?  If we’re getting Clara, what about Me?

And sure, everybody says that Missy is NOT in this special, but if the Moff lies…

suppose the Glass People could turn out to be pawns of the Daleks and/or Time Lords, especially the latter given their abilities sound similar to time extraction tech, but is that what we really want?  Comments are welcome! 😉

Yes, definitely a more big-screen ‘look’ for series 11.

Radio Times: new cameras

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Here it is in youtube form…

MissRori @missrori

Official promo gallery!  Not all that spoilery if you’ve seen any previous promotional materials; still no hint as to what the glass people look like or if there are any other characters of note besides the two Doctors, Bill, Ben, Polly, and Captain Needs-a-name.  😉  Either they decided to do a “bottle episode” with this one, or there’s a lot that they’re still keeping under wraps.

Official promo gallery

MissRori @missrori

So, I have to ask/bonkers-theorize — which classic villain do you think is the mastermind of these glass people?  Come on, Moffat wouldn’t just have glass people as the villains of Twelve’s final adventure.  Just push ’em over!  😉  No, there has to be something more powerful behind them.  Maybe the Time Lords are into glassworking and we didn’t know it?  😀

More seriously, if they’re enchanted glass people as the offical synopsis puts it, who enchanted them?  Maybe they’re finally bringing back the Celestial Toymaker?  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    MissRori @missrori

Along with the TV trailer that dropped today, here’s a Radio Times set visit article with some authorized teasers!  And they’re very interesting ones.

Radio Times preview article

janetteB @janetteb

Drat. Another Radio Times article I can’t read because I have add blocker. Some are fine some are not. Well I guess I will have to be patient. Only two weeks now. (and a couple of days)
    Cheers
    Janette

RorySmith @rorysmith

I finally watched the Black Mirror episode with Jodie. I like her accent quite well. I did in Broadchurch but in this episode she is more natural. It’s hard to guage how she will pull off a Doctor but I feel better after seeing her in so many roles. Bring on Christmas!

@rorysmith

Yeah, I felt the same way after watching Attack The Block. The scene where she had to sneak past the alien to get into the flat, especially. Same thing when a very young Matt Smith gave his ‘introducing’ interview.

In Matt’s case, there was a moment of mischief when I could see ‘the Doctor’ peep out of his eyes; in Jodie’s case there was a moment of grim determination – when I could see ‘the Doctor’ doing exactly this scene. 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.