Spoilers (4)

Home Forums General Spoilers (4)

This topic contains 321 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  blenkinsopthebrave 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 322 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

As the old Spoilers thread has passed its maximum allowed posts, this is a new Spoilers thread for, obviously, spoilers. If you wish to share any Doctor Who related rumours or ‘unofficial’ news (i.e. not released/officially confirmed by the BBC) please post them here.

When @ mentioning other members, please bear in mind that not everyone is interested in spoilers so take care who you mention. Perhaps the best way to avoid inadvertently mentioning someone is to check back through the thread. If a particular member has never posted then assume they do not want to receive messages.

The previous thread can be found here: https://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/spoilers-3/

wolfweed @wolfweed

Filming set to return to Garth Hill trig point…

gh

wolfweed @wolfweed

Apparently it’s confirmed that the next Dr has a Yorkshire accent!   Also….

wolfweed @wolfweed

synopsis – twice-upon-time

janetteB @janetteb

I am glad that Jodie W’ is keeping her accent. I think it adds so much to the character. It was a shame that D.T. did not keep his.

Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@janetteb  I found Tennant’s accent in Broadchurch nearly impenetrable (never had a problem with Capaldi’s).  Tannant’s isn’t Glasgow, is it?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@ichabod

David Tennant was born in Bathgate, but brought up in Paisley. So his accent is West Scotland, but not Glasgow.

MissRori @missrori

Hmm, we finally have some hints as to the antagonists.  Moffat did say “new monsters”, and I can’t think of a previously-established Who race that fits the official description.

I noted in the last thread that a friend of mine suspects Moffat’s going to bookend his tenure on the revival with one last Everybody Lives story.  Perhaps these aliens have a sympathetic motivation for their kidnappings — their abilities do sound like the Time Lords’ extraction technology, and poor Twelve had a sympathetic reason to pluck Clara from time in “Hell Bent”.  If so, perhaps the Doctors will redeem them, which would fit in with the Moff saying that redemption is a theme of this story.  Gloriously happy triumph for everyone!

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  David Tennant was born in Bathgate, but brought up in Paisley.

Thanks!

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip though Paisley is not exactly far from Glascow. I know accents change over very short distances in the U.K. but looking at the map it still brought a smile to my face so I assume an Ayrshire accent is not the same as a Glascow or Paisley accent. (My knowledge of the geography of South West Scotland is advancing in leaps and bounds at the moment.)
    Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb

Paisley is not exactly far from Glascow.

No, it isn’t. On the other hand, Chester and Flint are about as far apart, and they’re in different UK countries. 🙂

As you say, accents can change over very short distances in the UK. Rochdale is about as far away from Manchester as Paisley is from Glasgow, and the two accents are quite distinct. Generally, big cities like Glasgow or Liverpool or Manchester will have their own accent, and the surrounding areas will have theirs.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip I believe that even within cities, (such as Manchester) accents vary from suburb to suburb, which isn’t really surprising. Even within Adelaide the eastern suburbs residents have affectations that would be laughed at in other areas and there are pockets in the north where strong English accents still predominate.
    It was interesting to see how many Dr Who alumni come from Paisley, most notably Steven Moffat and Neve McIntosh.
    (I have been recently doing research into Ayrshire history recently and really regretting that when we visited Scotland a few years ago we drove straight through the South West. Next time.)
    Cheers
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

Now that we know a little bit more about the special — namely, who’s responsible for Time freezing over — I’ve been chewing over various theories and predictions still flying about elsewhere as to what will happen for Christmas.  😉

It’s been pointed out that if these Glass People (only one of whom has a speaking role, which may or may not be a  significant detail) are the antagonists, this might just be the first revival-era regeneration story in which the Last Great Time War and/or the Daleks are not involved in any way, shape, or form.  Which would make sense — Gallifrey hasn’t been so much as mentioned since “Hell Bent” (end of Series 9) and the Daleks have had only cameos since “The Witch’s Familiar” (top of Series 9), even though both stories left loose ends that could be picked up somewhere down the line yet have gone untouched so far — Twelve’s relationship with his people, the prickly relationship he had with Ohila, what became of Time Lord-energy boosted Davros and the Daleks (did some survive Skaro’s collapse?), etc.

But at least as long as rumors that One and Twelve would be teaming up for this special have been around, there have been rumors that the story would involve their respective hands in the events of “The Day of the Doctor”, finally tying off the long-standing question of when Twelve pulled that lever — a question I would argue is more pertinent after the endgame of Series 9.

I can see him sealing off the deal before they imprisoned him in the dial and tortured him, but afterward?  I’d be sorely tempted to let ’em rot instead.  Yes, he would still have to do it to keep the Web of Time on an even keel and insure his own existence, but — especially if he remembers Clara now, as the end of “The Doctor Falls” suggests — wouldn’t he have a moment of doubt?  Frankly, seeing him hesitate over the decision before doing what’s right, remembering he’s doing it more for Gallifrey’s innocents than the Time Lords themselves, would be more dramatic than treating it as a formality, if it turns out that he helped save Gallifrey at the end of his life.  (Wouldn’t Clara remember if he’d done it when they were traveling together, and maybe brought it up in “Hell Bent”?   By comparison Bill and even Nardole don’t seem to know much about the Time Lords in general, so if he did it while traveling with them, well, they’d just think it was “a thing” he was doing.)

Frankly, at only an hour long I think trying to bring in “The Day of the Doctor”‘s events might be overstuffing the story, since there’s already an all-new alien race to establish as a genuine giant, time-quaking threat that needs two Doctors to fix, followed by what will have to be a somewhat lengthy denouement — getting the Captain back to WWI and revealing his final fate (and actual identity if it isn’t established earlier — we still don’t know his given name), said Doctors parting, (possibly) One’s regeneration, Twelve saying goodbye to Bill, a “proper” sendoff for the Twelfth Doctor as a character, his regeneration, and finally Thirteen’s first scene.

And all that is assuming that the special isn’t bringing in any other companions or villains — and we already have heard rumors of Clara and the diner TARDIS showing up at some point, along with tons of fan requests for Susan to make an appearance.  And if we’re getting Bill, what about Heather?  If we’re getting Clara, what about Me?

And sure, everybody says that Missy is NOT in this special, but if the Moff lies…

suppose the Glass People could turn out to be pawns of the Daleks and/or Time Lords, especially the latter given their abilities sound similar to time extraction tech, but is that what we really want?  Comments are welcome! 😉

Yes, definitely a more big-screen ‘look’ for series 11.

Radio Times: new cameras

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Here it is in youtube form…

MissRori @missrori

Official promo gallery!  Not all that spoilery if you’ve seen any previous promotional materials; still no hint as to what the glass people look like or if there are any other characters of note besides the two Doctors, Bill, Ben, Polly, and Captain Needs-a-name.  😉  Either they decided to do a “bottle episode” with this one, or there’s a lot that they’re still keeping under wraps.

Official promo gallery

MissRori @missrori

So, I have to ask/bonkers-theorize — which classic villain do you think is the mastermind of these glass people?  Come on, Moffat wouldn’t just have glass people as the villains of Twelve’s final adventure.  Just push ’em over!  😉  No, there has to be something more powerful behind them.  Maybe the Time Lords are into glassworking and we didn’t know it?  😀

More seriously, if they’re enchanted glass people as the offical synopsis puts it, who enchanted them?  Maybe they’re finally bringing back the Celestial Toymaker?  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    MissRori @missrori

Along with the TV trailer that dropped today, here’s a Radio Times set visit article with some authorized teasers!  And they’re very interesting ones.

Radio Times preview article

janetteB @janetteb

Drat. Another Radio Times article I can’t read because I have add blocker. Some are fine some are not. Well I guess I will have to be patient. Only two weeks now. (and a couple of days)
    Cheers
    Janette

RorySmith @rorysmith

I finally watched the Black Mirror episode with Jodie. I like her accent quite well. I did in Broadchurch but in this episode she is more natural. It’s hard to guage how she will pull off a Doctor but I feel better after seeing her in so many roles. Bring on Christmas!

@rorysmith

Yeah, I felt the same way after watching Attack The Block. The scene where she had to sneak past the alien to get into the flat, especially. Same thing when a very young Matt Smith gave his ‘introducing’ interview.

In Matt’s case, there was a moment of mischief when I could see ‘the Doctor’ peep out of his eyes; in Jodie’s case there was a moment of grim determination – when I could see ‘the Doctor’ doing exactly this scene. 🙂

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

Not sure what to make of this image, which gets the title “She is coming.” It turned up on twitter via #DoctorWho.  Has anyone else come across it?

@countscarlioni

Yes, I’ve seen it on Twitter. I don’t think it’s on the official UK BBC site, but it may have been the US publicity people who released it, as a teaser.

It could be just a nice bit of Photoshop, of course. There’d be that shot of Peter Capaldi on the TARDIS floor from The Doctor Falls, then you could meld his face with Jodie Whittaker’s.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip et al —

According to certain corners of the t’interwebs, it’s a screengrab from the regeneration shot in the second trailer. Colour me sceptical though…..

geoffers @geoffers

@countscarlioni

my first thought about the picture was that the hair looks more like the first doctor’s, and that maybe moff is sneaking in another regeneration, a la the war doctor (between 1 and 2)! but then, i realized he can’t be that insane…

can he? 😀

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

Thanks to @bluesqueakpip & @jimthefish for the information on “She is coming.”

From yesterday’s BBCAmerica’s Doctor Who’s Day Roundup, it’s possible to get to  bbc.in/2Be3O9h#DoctorWho with the claim “Hey, look! All the trailers, clips, pics and need-to-know facts about this year’s Christmas Special in one handy place” and “She is coming” is the first image. But if the real deal, I’d have expected to have seen much more of this image in other places.

@geoffers (!!)

MissRori @missrori

Early reviews for “Twice Upon a Time” have been very positive from the Radio Times to Den of Geek to Who-specific sites like DoctorWhoTV.co.uk and blogtorwho.com .  I’ll leave other forum members to look them up, as the reviews have varying degrees of teases and such that can be seen as spoilers.  Anyway:

• The performances are all excellent
    • It’s more character-focused than the previous revival-era Doctor finales have been
    • NO reviewers have seen Thirteen’s first scene; all pre-air screeners cut off at the regeneration itself
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Busy, busy, busy…..

wolfweed @wolfweed

Is Bradley Walsh headed for South Africa?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Cape Town

wolfweed @wolfweed

Lots of filming spoilers today. This is the one that got me though. Diggin’ the bum-bag!

Also, you can see clearly that the coat splits up the back…

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Yep, there’s been a lot on the Twitterwebs. Wonder if the bumbag is an episode-centric thing (or Whittaker’s while she toodles around set) or a regular part of her Doc’s kit….

Other impression from today’s pics is that I can’t help feel they’ve gone OTT with the scuzzy nature of the new TARDIS. I kind of miss the brilliant shiny blue of Matt’s run….

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish  I would guess the bum-bag is costume but no idea how permanent. Presumably it’s transcendental like the Doctor’s pockets. The Police box is the weirdest yet & that’s saying something! I think they’re going for RTDesque.

tardy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Yep, it’s definitely got a Tennant-ey vibe about it. And that lamp is seriously weird. Not sure I like it really.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Here’s that rear view of the costume that had eluded us thus far…

rear window
    Credit:
    Dave Johnson
    Doctor_Dave80

@wolfweed and @jimthefish

The bum bag may represent the Doctor’s discovery that too many trousers for women do not have pockets. Fashion designers tend to say ‘oh, but women don’t buy clothes with pockets’. Yes, that’s because you don’t sell them, idiots! 🙂

The worst thing is when they decide to include stupid fake pockets …

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Sonic Bumbag?

“I wear a bumbag now, bumbags are cool”

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@toinfinityandbepond

bumbags will never be cool. And if they become so, I may have to retire to a pocket universe…

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

@jimthefish,

Bet you said that about Fez’s too.

janetteB @janetteb

@bluesqueakpip The doctor has already discovered that wedding dresses don’t have pockets. The subject of pockets in women’s clothes is about as inflammatory as that of kettles. There is simply no reason at all why jackets and coats can’t have good pockets and as for those fake pockets, well they are just insulting. Interestingly Victorian women’s clothing had neatly tailored in pockets though I don’t think they would have accommodated a sonic screwdriver. Which does lead to another thought, will the Doctor stick to her costume when visiting past times. The Doctor has tended to modify what he wears according to the time period to a degree but for a woman that is going to be far more of an issue. She would be rather more conspicuous than desirable running about Victorian London in culottes. She would probably be arrested for indecency.
    Cheers
    Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

#Gally1 has been an informative hashtag tonight…

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Yes, have been dipping into it. I really wish I could have seen that Moffat panel. Sounds like he was kicking ass.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Today I learned that there is such thing as a bumbag.
    I saw the pictures of the crew filming today. Everything is looking great. I love the video of them filming. It appears to me that they are filming episode four or five. Most of the time when The Doctor gets a new companion, they take one trip to the future or another planet than one to the past, after the characters meet up on Earth. So it seems like that would be the case here, returning home for a small break. If they wanted to have more episodes before returning to Earth than I would say this could be episode seven but I don’t know how likely that is due to fewer episodes this season. It also appears that the TARDIS is acting up again since Yasmin seems surprise that they are home, reminds me of the struggle to get Barbara and Ian home. Of course she could just be surprise that she is home after seeing everything they will after their journeys. I assume that Yasmin lives in a apartment there because some photos don’t include Yasmin. There is another character, possibly explaining something to the Doctor. The only reason why this is important is because The Doctor has Graham and Ryan with her (they are having their own talk). If the group decides to split up for what ever reason, why split your team up into a group of one and another of three. I think Yasmin went up to her place while The Doctor found something to do with her companions. That always means trouble. Or something could have happen to Yasmin but I don’t know what. The new companions are going to be great but I’m still wondering if they are all from present day Earth and meet The Doctor at the same time. I know The Doctor is falling to present day Earth and she appears to meet Graham there, and Yasmin must meet her there too if she lives there, but I don’t know if it is the same case for Ryan but we will find out soon.
    I love The Doctor saying “Results” as they leave the TARDIS. Maybe Jodie’s doctor is going to be more technical in her speech pattern, making her sound more awkward around humans. I think Jodie’s doctor is going to be very different and great in her own way. Of course she is still The Doctor, her placing her hands on her hips for the shot proves that (great job Jodie, I love that), but she is going to be nothing like what we have seen before. However, I don’t know how to feel about the bumbag. Maybe that’s because I just learned today that there is such thing as a bumbag. The article I read mention that a lot of celebrities I don’t care for wear one, so that didn’t make me love it. But it looks fine, it goes with Jodie’s costume but I thought her coat had pockets. It would be hard to unzip a bumbag and try to find your sonic screwdriver in it. A pocket just seems so much easier but woman are losing pockets in their clothing. If The Doctor needs the Bumbag to carry her stuff in than we will see it on screen a lot. It can even be like the sonic shades in that we see them a lot but sometimes they aren’t there. I’m just wondering what will The Doctor do if she has to dress in period clothes. I hate wearing dresses because I can’t run in them, I’m sure The Doctor will feel the same. Although now that I’m typing and thinking of more theories, I suppose she could just use the hologram shell from The Time of the Doctor. She just wears her normal clothes and in tunes the hologram to everyone within a certain radius. That would be so easy to film, we just see The Doctor in her normal clothes. Write in a line so a character mentions the dress. That would solve so many problems for this new Doctor. I don’t know if they would do that though, oh well.
    We are getting closer to season 11 and I can’t wait, I want to know everything that’s going to happen but I want to wait and see. This is going to be so great.

winston @winston

What you refer to as a “bumbag” is what I am sure you will be amused to know are called “fanny packs” here in Canada. And no even with that name they are not cool.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Well Jodie has been spotted filming in Gosport, Hants. She has been spotted filming with a dalek and with K-9 the wonderful robot dog. This is great, I wanted Jodie’s doctor to meet K-9, however part of me is wondering if K-9 is going to be in an episode. The prop could have been on set just for fans to see, a lot of people were there and I heard a rumor that K-9 was going to be in Last Christmas but he was cut out. I hope we see him again, I love K-9.

@winston We call bumbags “fanny packs” in the states as well. I didn’t notice they were suppose to be the same thing. I thought there was something different about them. Lesson learned. Still don’t know how I feel about it but I’m sure it will be fine.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Looks like the BBC are animating The Daleks’ Master Plan…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 322 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.