Spoilers (4)

Home Forums General Spoilers (4)

This topic contains 261 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Devilishrobby 3 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 251 through 262 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Was just reading (IMDB) that the cast list for the final JW show (where she presumably regenerates) will include both Sacha Dhawan and John Sim as the Master. I am sure I am supposed to be more excited by this news than I am.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Surely they’re not trying for a repeat of the capaldi exit but instead of a good master and a bad master they’re going bad and mad  though if they’re bringing Sims and Dhawan back surely they could stretch to Gomez she was great.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave and @devilishrobby

It’ll be a shame if they’re just trying to replicate The Doctor Falls but I’d be delighted if it’s for a regeneration crossover, thus retaining Missy’s canonical status as the Last Master.

@jimthefish

It is probably the effect of all the Christmas mulled wine, but you have to explain to me: a) a regeneration crossover (?) and b) Missy’s canonical status as the last Master.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave and @jimthefish. I think Jim the fish is suggesting that Sim/Master regenerates into Dhawan/Master who then regenerates into Missy thus honouring the events of the Capaldi story, (ie as opposed to what he did with Gallifrey) though in this instance i doubt even Moffat expected that to be the end of The Master.

Cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@janetteb

That’s pretty much it — I just think a reset to a mad, bad Master after all the character work put into Missy is kind of a waste…

@janetteb, @jimthefish, Thanks for that, but I tend to wonder if Chibnall even thinks on that level. He seems to have a very wonky knowledge of the history of Who (case in point: the reference to the Brigadier as “our new corporal”. I honestly believe he is not interested in learning enough about the history of Who to be faithful to it.) Anyway, tomorrow, and following the destruction of almost the entire Dalek race (and most of the universe) in “Flux”, a jolly comedy with…Daleks.

Hmm @blenkinsopthebrave I think you’ve hit it on the head Chibnall hasn’t paid enough respect to past  show cannon. Now don’t get me wrong I’ve no problem with there being changes to the established cannon but it needed to fit in so to speak. I always felt there was supposed to be more to the doctors past and if I remember right there was some mention (i think in the 5 doctors anniversary show) that early timelords like Rassalon had regeneration cycles that made them near immortal but Chibnall over the last 2 seasons has essentially driven a wrecking ball through established cannon.

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave I think we’ve been a bit spoiled (haha, spoilers thread! 😉 ) by RTD’s and Moff’s incredibly in depth knowledge of Dr Who. Even when they changed things, it was with a knowledgeable and loving wink/nod to what had gone before.

@jimthefish IMDB are notorious for not having complete listings, and for picking up false info (or misinfo fed to them by Dr Who on previous occasions). Not sure that the Chibs team is that PR aware though. I know, I’m just hanging on to a very thin thread, hoping for a Missy return.

Placing this here as it is more an unsubstantiated rumour but has anyone seen some of the the non BBC  online rumour that David Tenant may and I repeat may be being considered as the 14th Doctor though a precedence may have been created in Day of the Doctor with Tom Bakers Cameo as the Curator and suggestion that he was a future doctor reprising the face. Personally I think it’s more likely he’s going to be cast in the 60th if he going to return as the Doctor. Though I do have a bit of a problem with that as it will potentially be the new Doctors first episode given that Jodies exit is going to be in the 3rd special due to be broadcast as part of the BBCs Centenary celebrations late this year. Given the timing I now suspect that will mean that there will not be a Xmas/ New Year special episode unless the RTDs first new  series is going to launch perhaps New Years Day thus giving the new Doctor time to establish him/herself ahead of a multi Doctor anniversary 60th Special. My reasoning for this is that Tennant has already stated he would be happy to be involved in the 60th celebrations as has Smith. Though having the anniversary special a Multi Doctor  fest has become kind of tradition if they do let it not be a re-hash of Day of Doctor it will need to be sufficiently different. Perhaps the incarnations of the Doctor being subscripted by the  White Gardian for example to save the universe… oh they’ve already done that kind of with the Key to Time Story  Arc in PGWho.

@devilishrobby, I read the Radio Times article, and it seems clear the rumour was more of a fan speculation than anything else. I would be quite surprised if Tennant actually came back full-time.  But a multi-Doctor show on 23 Nov 2023…? That seems to be highly likely. As for when an announcement of a new Doctor is going to be made, I know that JW has long since filmed her last special, but that doesn’t mean the brief appearance of the new Doctor could not still be added; even as a post-credit sequence.

@blenkinssopthebrave as I said in my original post I had realised that the news that Tennent was possibly going to be 14  was coming from non BBC  online sources and was probably highly suspicious. As you say it’s more likely Tennent will reprise his role as 10 if the 60th anniversary special is a multi-doc story.

My main point is the way a lot of the the interviews appear to indicate that RTD will be doing the anniversary special then the series which in my opinion is the wrong way round as I feel they need to let 14 establish themselves as the Doctor before having a new doctor in a multi-doctor special. Now it may be that the interviews were in part a bit misleading as they were concentrating at the time on the the 60th anniversary special and then the fact he was headlining the production of Who going forward, and given the way Jodie is leaving at the end of a series of Specials with no real announcement of how the show is going to proceed after Jodies departure to begin the new Doctors tenure ie is there going to be a new series starting early 2023 either New Year or possibly Easter to co-inside the anniversary of RTD’s NuWho  or as another special which will essentially introduce/establish  the new Doctor much like Tennants start in the Christmas Invasion.

The fact that Jodie has already finished her filming as you say is no problem, with todays filming technology the regeneration scene can be done with the actors at different times. Obviously the decision will have to be relatively soonish as it will have to be filmed and inserted into the final scenes of the third Special.

The other thing I was thinking given the timing of the specials this year and the circumstances that they will be introducing the new Doctor it will possibly mean there will be no Xmas/New Year special this year, which would be disappointing but on the other hand would possibly increase the likelihood that the new Doctors introduction will be in a Tennant style Special during the festive special

Viewing 12 posts - 251 through 262 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.