The Cloven Hoof

Home Forums General The Cloven Hoof

This topic contains 915 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 916 total)
  • Author
    ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion — yep, that seems to be what they’ve done; SO annoying.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@purofilion

No, I haven’t listened to the Caretaker commentary yet. Either that or I listened to the first ten minutes and then a)switched back to the episode and b) blocked it out of my memory.

The problem with commentaries are a) availability of the actors and b) people who haven’t done it before. The fact that there’s no Moffat, Capaldi or Coleman gives me the sneaking suspicion that the commentaries were either recorded during the World Tour, or at another point when they were just plain too busy.

Or, in the case of Steven Moffat, his commentary would consist entirely of ‘but I can’t talk about that’. 🙂

If the only people available haven’t done one before, you usually pile in two or three people in the hope that they will at least start talking to each other. It doesn’t always work; certainly some directors don’t yet seem to have picked up that being able to do a good audio commentary on your work is becoming part of a director’s skillset.

The main problem is downloads. BBC Worldwide wants the DVD out as fast as possible, because otherwise people will just download the series. But getting the DVD out as fast as possible means that there’s barely any time to do those nice little extras – like commentaries.

@purofilion

When you finish Buffy/ Angel and you inevitably move on to Firefly – and after you have finished being outraged at its premature cancellation – you should listen to the commentary for Objects In Space. A Whedon special.

My impression is that with most commentaries, as @bluesqueakpip says, available people are rounded up and they get done in a single take in reaction to watching the episode ‘live’ and either haven’t bothered, of haven’t had time, to think about any points they might want to make.

Anonymous @

@scaryb – Another snow Angel 😮

There seem to be a few of these cropping up on Twitter lately. I wonder if the Great Intelligence behind them? 😉

Anonymous @

@pedant @bluesqueakpip

Thank you for that -I must be more understanding. Thing is, listening to Into the Dalek -the fellas laughed and laughed and enjoyed themselves so much. They did speak about the weather, the colour palette -but a lot of it was generalised. It was totally infectious and I found myself laughing with them. Also, the impression I have of a lot of d’English (don’t shoot me) is your general sense of clever humour -droll and full of quips. In Oz it’s sarcasm or the occasional ‘farmer’s still-face with bad joke’ which is funny anyway.

Angel is hottin’ up now. Wesley brings some fun lines and the pregnant Cordelia was a hoot to watch.

Firefly you say?  More telly!

Also, Farscape -somehow. I have to work hard to buy DVD sets these days.

@purofilion

Anyway, back to Dawn….

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Poor old @purofilion — doomed to watch DVD boxsets until the end of time…..

Anonymous @

@pedant

catching up on Angel: tomorrow arvo is Buffy and I assume, some Dawn Figuring. -Boy Ilion can go jump. I’ll watch it by meself 🙂

FAO @nick1235

*Innocent face**

nick1235 @nick1235

@pedant those posers, lol, Bit unfair though calling them Chelsea Fans in generalised, yeah? I mean not all of us wants JJ Brink (or whoever it was) on the team, we have the Juan and only filling the left wing side. 😉 😀 Still would laughed my ass off though.

@purofilion must’ve sucked, although I dont actually ever listen to a commentary, not my muse right now, or not yet, even.

Anyway, I’ve just finished this semester final exam, so, hurray to another 2 weeks of turtling in the house like hibernating Silurian. Any movie worth watching?

Cheers.

Anonymous @

@nick1235  tried any Woody Allen of late? I was flicking thru this rather vast DVD collection and recalled one of my personal favs: Manhattan Murder Mystery. Has Alan Alda too. Not long ago I saw To Kill a Mockingbird again -always a good watch with terrific narration.  For comedy fun, and co-starring a Buffy Scooby, is Knight and Day.

Regards, puro

Anonymous @

@nick1235 oh, I get it 🙂 you mean Ja Ja Binks!? I think.

I can never get their weird names right. Not even Princess Laya. Lia? And who is the hairy dude?

I get Darth Vader coz everyone knows him.

Anonymous @

@nick1245 Cripes, I should have watched @pedant‘s video -thus remembering the ‘hairy dude’ Chewbacca. How could these people talk with such virtuous certainty about absolutely no-one? Hang on, we pay people to do that on Channels 7, 9 and 10.

“Artu artu The French fans are really excited about him”

“Alleluia! You’re busted”

After the school’s swimming carnival (where they nearly threw me in) I am amused by anything. Anything at all.

nick1235 @nick1235

@purofilion I think that’s Princess Leia? To be really frank, I’ve never watch Star Wars before, even that JJ Binks was randomly pick because he was one of the “players” that were mention in the video. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look in to it. Just recently watch The Interview, don’t know if any of you watch that fool of a movie, but it did gave me a good laugh. I’ve just finish Nolan’s Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Donnie Darko. Top notch movies.

Cheers.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion — best of Woody Allen for me is “High Crimes & Misdemeanors” I think — Martin Landau at his wonderful best (his other best is playing Bela Lugosi to Johnny Depp’s Ed Wood in “Ed Wood” — gorgeous and sad).

janetteB @janetteb

Sorry I haven’t been about for a while. Well I have been about, reading everything not posting. Had lots of things happening here on top of getting back into the work/school routine and resulting sleep deprivation. Have had an “issue” to deal with that is taking its toll and unfortunately probably going to force us to take action which we really don’t want to do. (I have never in over twenty years seen my SO so angry or disinclined to be forgiving. I am sure I could find a Dr Who quote that would apply) Anyways the boys have persuaded him to spend the afternoon playing D&D which will hopefully allow him to vent a little by beating up lots of monsters. 🙂 At the very least there will be much healthy laughter for us all.

Plans are going well for the Writers’ Festival. We have four workshops locked in now and community support. It is going to be a busy six months as SO and I are also co-organising a seminar or something (not quite decided just what yet) with an international speaker. We are still in the process of trying to get someone to actually some to SA.

So much I have intended to comment on, so many enjoyable discussions that I have followed with interest but been either too tired or preoccupied to engage with actively. @nick1235 was sorry to hear that you have been having “issues” too. Hope things are looking up.

so, hurray to another 2 weeks of turtling in the house like hibernating Silurian.

I loved that line. Please may I use that one on my own three “hibernating Silurians” whose “turtling” days are now slightly reduced due to school, TAFE and a puppet show. One film suggestion that immediately springs to mind, partly due to a recent article in the Guardian, is Princess Bride a film that cannot fail to bring a smile to the face. (Right now I think I am in dire need of a re-watch.)

@purofilion the QLD election result helped restore my faith in democracy. Well done up there. Interesting to see what will happen in NSW now. I can never forget Chewbacca’s name as at at time it was my SO’ work nickname. (When he was hairier.)

I have some re-watching to catch up on too.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Bit quiet in here, but good to see the pub’s still open.

Like @janetteb I’ve been lurking a lot but no time to comment. But not so stressful as you seem to be experiencing. So sorry to hear you’re having a tough time – I hope you get it resolved soon and exterminate whatever daleks are disrupting your bit of the universe. Just let us know if you need a posse – a group of ARSEy (on your behalf) virtual Whovians will soon sort it out!!

And I completely agree with you – @nick1235‘s line is just great –

<span style=”color: #222222;”>so, hurray to another 2 weeks of turtling in the house like hibernating Silurian</span>

I’m going to start practising that now 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

Actually came in here to share with everyone that world may be about to end in about a month’s time. Alcohol – the Ford Prefect recomendation for end of the world times!

http://yournewswire.com/cern-to-attempt-big-bang-in-march-stephen-hawking-issues-warning/

And I definitely need a drink after this next one – the universe may not have started with a bang after all (maybe not even a whimper). In fact it may not have started at all! Has anyone told Smithy this…?! Does this negate the first post…? If there’s never been a big bang, then presumably the god particle, if they’ve found it, won’t create another one…

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

Head sploded! (Sorry about the mess 😈 )

Cheers!

nick1235 @nick1235

Wow, 4 days no post? I’m surprise, feels like we’re in the great city of New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York, but hey, glad there’s still people around and thank you, you guys like my line, don’t know if it’s right though. @scaryb @janetteb, wait, both B in the end? Something smells @pedant, Tee-Hee.

thoughts on your link @scaryb, to be honest, I haven’t read it yet, but I don’t care about the world’s coming to an end, least we can do, is enjoy it,  I hope they’re not discontinuing Barclays Premier League and Dr. Who in the afterlife, if that’s true.

I think this song suits to this situation (or speculation), just to live up the room.

By the way @pedant, did you Watch Chelski boy, Willi-man beautiful half volley in the last minute of Chelsea Everton? Absolute gorgeous.

Cheers!

(sorry for being messy, yet again.)

ichabod @ichabod

Can’t end the world before we get DW Series 9, all of it.  Not.  Allowed.  Then they can blow up whatever the hell they want to, IMO.  One question: how could alien beings out there in the whatever have developed their taste for human flesh, without any humans to eat so far?  And how would any of us normal (?) people know whether these CERN scientists et al “know what they’re doing” or not?  You can know what they *say* they’re doing, when asked, but how many of us really get what their words mean?  You can hardly write any kind of hard SF any more (unless it’s about fancy notions of futuristic weapons and war, like video games), because even if you do read up on the “hard” science you need for your story, and even if you understand the jargon and the concepts, it would take you an absolutely brilliant example of popularized science, per a treatise or textbook or a TV show, to make what you know (or think you know) understandable to a smart reader; which would pretty much kill your story as a story.

We are always just hanging by a thread anyway, thanks to the vagaries of Mother Nature (some mother!).  If it blows up, it blows up.  Piff, poff, been and gone.  And yes, a glass of wine (or whatever you fancy) is a perfectly appropriate response to a news item like this one.

@scaryb

that world may be about to end in about a month’s time.

But do CERN have a Big Red Button? Inquiring minds would like to know. 🙂

Regarding the ‘no singularity’ theory, this article has a good explanation.

ichabod @ichabod

If they do have a Big Red Button, can all thirteen Doctors be far behind?  Trust the universe, right?  It will provide.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip @ichabod

I watched this again this week, and I think it’s relevant to your discussion about writers. I think Moffat may be wrong if he thinks Who is too technical for a newbie. It’s about stories, and it’s about the creatives. This is well worth 45 mins of anybody’s time. Kevin Spacey at the Edinburgh Festival (with added Jack Lemmon).

ichabod @ichabod

@craig  — “Too technical” meaning there’s too much backstory to cope with if you haven’t been watching for decades?  Or too technical in terms of scientific underpinnings, which I’m skeptical about since the show seems to me to be almost pure science fantasy these days (but that may be because the “real science” in it isn’t comprehensible to me, so it all looks like magic)?

Issues of scouting out and letting in new blood and creativity are something else again and not really what Spacey’s talking about, I think, since DW is not a new project that needs to be “auditioned” or has yet to provide a track record to satisfy the money people.  As for branching out into other “platforms”, this show has done that in a pretty impressive way — well, *I’m* sure impressed, since I had no idea there were DW comics, DW radio dramas, DW minisodes, DW conventions, fan videos and music videos, archives full of DW fanfic, etc.  In fact, here we have vested interests to consider — not just the proprietary interests of the various creative teams that have created the show, but the vested interests of large numbers of very vocal fans who are vehement about changing/not changing this or that aspect (say, the gender of the Doctor; or Moffat as head writer) of the ongoing project.  The really creative, progressive, and in-their-own-way-crazy ones are already deep into creating what *they* want to see and giving it away for free on the internet.

Such a lovely chaos!  It’s like a firestorm you can’t outrun because it’s already tearing along out ahead of you on fronts you’re only partially aware of.  I guess I don’t have to add that I’m basically a non-control freak, either by temperament or because of its of experience of how illusory “control” really is.

@craig and @ichabod

“Too technical” meaning there’s too much backstory to cope with if you haven’t been watching for decades? Or too technical in terms of scientific underpinnings,

Nope. As I recall, ‘too technical’ as in the sheer breadth of the audience. The baby writer isn’t writing for the child audience, the ‘yoof’ audience or the adult audience. They’re writing for all three, and their script will have to work on those three different levels.

So it’s a writer’s version of ‘technical’. 😉

Rob @rob

Sorry been up to my ears in mud, idiot clients, things breaking, water where it shouldn’t be, no water where it should be and “other minorly irritating but taking a long time to sort out of stuff” (aka omibtalttspps), but I haven’t forgotten you all….. Hiya all 😀

lisa @lisa

Just sharing a delicious piece of a TED talk from the mind of Mr. Walker

https://www.ted.com/talks/jay_walker_s_library_of_human_imagination?language=en#t-403572

He is a entrepreneur that has a special library collection representing amazing human
    technologies–

https://www.ted.com/talks/jay_walker_on_the_world_s_english_mania
    Mr. Walker’s TED talk about the worlds ‘mania’ for learning English !

A extremely clever guy and he holds literally hundreds of patents on various tech
    There is something about people that are innovators like this guy that make me feel
    a bit like they have some Doctor Who inside their souls!

I fucking hate packing.

@pedant

Nobody likes packing.

Hope the move goes well. Or smoothly, at least.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@pedant–

best of luck with the move. Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible…

ichabod @ichabod

lisa — thanks for the TED link.  I suspect that a lot of the people who do TED talks are or have at some time been fans of DW — it can be such a stimulus to the creative imagination!  Here’s one (TED) that showed up in my email today — maybe this is what the Doctor could really use in his life(ves): a smart, compassionate, and thoughtful twin . . . Uh; Clara?

http://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_the_case_for_emotional_hygiene?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2015-02-21&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=talk_of_the_week_image

Rob — Hiya back!  I hope the waters have rearranged themselves, and the dimwit clients have transformed into something more pleasing.

Thank all – very close to meltdown at one point!

lisa @lisa
    The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman
    PaperMoon @papermoon

@thekrynoidman – it’s very sad news. I’m a big fan of Star Trek, so to know we have lost one of the original cast members who was seminal to the creation of the franchise – and, obviously, the Vulcans – is such a loss.

ScaryB @scaryb

@thekrynoidman @papermoon

thanks for posting.

It is indeed sad news. I remember being resentful when Star Trek took over Dr Who’s slot in the summer break in UK (especially cos Who used to run all year round – no concept as a small viewer of what that actually meant re the production schedules!) but I grew to love it and Spock was always my fave (along with Uhuru and Sulu).

There’s obituaries all over the place – he might even break the internet! but this one from the NY Times is particularly nice

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0#

😥

sniff

🙁

lisa @lisa
    ScaryB @scaryb

Spock’s last tweet –

Leonard Nimoy  TheRealNimoy

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

@lisaset screwdriver on weep! RIP”
    Aw, nice one

ichabod @ichabod

Good Lord — a masters in Spanish?  And performances as Tevye?  And the little Thalia movie house that I (like every intellectually hungry misfit and European refugee in the neighborhood) spent a large part of my young years attending, to see outstanding foreign films that never seemed to show up anywhere else in Manhattan until years later?  I’m so glad that little gem of a space endures, and has Nimoy’s name on it!  Perfectly, perfectly fitting.  *sigh*  Thanks for the links, all.

lisa @lisa

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150313-the-toughest-animals-on-earth?ocid=fbert

Tardis and Tardigrades and space? I kept conflicting both of these while reading
    and there was even a mention of Doctor Who type monsters in this article! Is this
    about strange creatures or could this be the Doctors home? I kept wanting to muck
    both up!
    They both have neat tricks —- anyway just something a bit odd

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

just wanted to pop in, on this Friday night, to raise a glass to the beautiful minds here, to @purofilion and her voracious wit, to @ichabod, in sadness and remembrance, to @bluesqueakpip and timey wimey par excellence, to @lisa and tardigrades , to @scaryb and @janetteb and @arbutus, to our mods and their dedication, @krynoidman and delightful nuggets of info, to everyone I’ve missed but not forgotten. Here’s to us, to what unites us, and here’s to now. Have a wonderful weekend, you wonderful people. Much love

@lisa

You’re not the only one to think ‘tardigrades – hmmm, sounds like TARDIS’.

The fact that the research project seeing if they could survive in space used all caps is just a teeny bit suspicious…

Lovely little animals, BTW. I don’t think they could ever be a Doctor Who monster, because they’re undeniably (if microscopically) cute. 😉

lisa @lisa

@Barbara Lefty Hello Sweetie ! What a totally splendid compliment that was and thank you!
    Since Spring has arrived I hope we all get out a bit to enjoy the wonderful weekend. I’m
    planning to play in the garden myself and theorize some more about the Doctor. Also, happy to
    be with all of you too!

lisa @lisa

@bluesqueakpip Cute Tardigrades??? well ok. All I know is that they looked to me a bit
    like something I expected to see in Captain Jacks monster files.
    But isn’t nature amazing!

janetteB @janetteb

@barbaralefty Thank you I raise a glass in return to you and @all for being such a wonderful community. I love all the discussions happening though I have not had much time to participate of late. Busy with organising the program for the writers festival.

@lisa I love that tardigrade, (water bear) photo. I put prints of it on the boys’ science books. I agree with @bluesqueakpip They are very cute.

Autumn is making itself felt now with cold nights, lovely mild days, blue sky and soft breezes. Autumn and Spring are the best times of year in South Australia. Summers are too hot, winters far too cold. I would just like it to rain occasionally but I fear the predicted El Nino has taken effect..

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@lisa @janetteb @barbaralefty -what great words and ideas. Tardigrades? wonderful! Though on closer inspection, maybe not? 😉

And cheers to you BL and “to what unites us”!

Also @arbutus – I see a drink is needed for you and your little family (a big family of love, that’s for sure!) -but rather than an alcoholic drink, perhaps a soothing chamomile? And a lot of ice-cream. Or chocolate? This helps. Never think that a dose of the total artificial won’t work. For it can!

@lisa it’s very warm in Brisbane still and Autumn arrived 14 days ago; still about 35 degrees! I have the A/C on and it’s broke. Grr. I shall think of cooler climes and planting my bulbs in a few weeks so they ‘spring up’ in the winter (of all times).

Anonymous @

@arbutus -on the music thread, the Jocquin des Pres was very decent indeed! Just what we both needed?

@lisa do you remember the sea-monkeys phase a few years ago -and those other water creatures that I can’t recall? – add water and ….snap! ‘live’ animals! The tardigrades remind me of those -though monkeys were prettier.

ichabod @ichabod

@barbaralefty  *(clinks glasses all round)*  We are all very lucky on this friendly site.  Another toast to Craig and the other mods, for keeping it a good playground for wandering minds . . . Well, mine wanders, anyway.  Some of you guys are really good at the focus thing.

Arbutus @arbutus

@barbaralefty     Thank you for your kind inclusion on a list of amazing people! And thanks to you to, for your lively and thoughtful contributions. There is a synergy on this site that is pretty unusual, in my experience. Many different approaches, interests, and personal styles create magic!

I admit to missing the acerbic comments of @phaseshift and @pedant recently. I hope all is well, and that the move has gone as well as can be expected for the Pedantic One?

@purofilion    We run to tea and cookies or chocolate most evenings, actually! Usually green tea or rooibos– bush tea, as Mma Ramotswe prefers. Does anyone else share my deep love of every word ever written by Alexander McCall Smith?  🙂

@barbaralefty

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I’ll raise a glass to you. Well, a mug. Well, of tea.

We are, indeed, very lucky in the contributors here and much thanks to @craig for his hosting of this lovely corner of the Internet. 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 916 total)

The topic ‘The Cloven Hoof’ is closed to new replies.