The Faces of the Doctor

Home Forums General The Faces of the Doctor

This topic contains 1,095 replies, has 116 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,096 total)
  • Author
    DrBen @drben

@arbutus – I thoroughly agree that 12 seems to incorporate something from just about all of the previous Doctors.  Perhaps his identity issues arise from the fact that he now has so many different personalities trying to operate within him.  Sometimes it’s the haughtiness of 3, the hostility of 6, the surreal humor of 4, the sneakiness of 7, the world-weariness of the War Doc…

I also agree with your take on Eleven and Clara.  More than anything, the Doctor cannot resist a good mystery.  So, until the answer to the Impossible Girl question was revealed, 11 couldn’t see Clara as a real person, but just as a series of clues.  I think, in a way, that 11 took advantage of Clara’s crush on him to keep her close enough to solve the mystery of who she is.  And I think he now regrets that.  12’s speech to her in “Deep Breath” about how it was his mistake to allow her to think there was a chance for romance was really revealing.  To that end, I think his new snippiness towards her is almost a “you’re too good for me” attempt to push her away, while simultaneously being terrified to lose her.

Anonymous @

@arbutus @drben

yes indeed, I can see how 10 was the ‘hero’ gone slightly wrong: (to me) not sociopathic by Waters of Mars but certainly taken with his power, mixed with loneliness, a dolorous quality, and ‘victory’ in the absence of other TLs. He could do whatever he wanted; time could be altered to satisfy and to save -to disastrous effect with Capt Adelaide. I thought she was a fine balance to his inquisitive but occasionally doomed character and imagined that in another universe, he might travel with her to excellent effect. She had a natural pragmatism; austere but not dogged.

The Doctor’s alien qualities are at times so obvious, so startling; it’s a wonder other characters don’t recognise him immediately (but then why would you unless you’re Dr Martha and hearing two hearts (beating as one!) ?). I agree, Arbutus, with the façade as a natural addition -he’s incognito as The Doctor, practiced at dissimulation, roaming the universe, alone like a sleepwalker, stunned even now by its beauty -as evidenced when Clara voted for Sherwood and the Doctor offered more ‘pleasing’ options to avoid Robin Hood.

He’s still taken with the universe, not at all cynical  -it’s wild and distorted (though he seeks order within the chaos; one motivation for travels),  black and gusty, thrumming with endless movement -no wonder Courtney’s spellbound but dazed and sick. I wonder how we’d react?

I think about my own response -would I crave such eternal restlessness, cartwheeling from one oasis and star cluster to  another more impossibly colourful solar system, flushed with the euphoria of discovery, or would I (bilious and frightened) entreat the Doctor to take me ‘home’ (to chips and chops, pallid, workaday tele) away from strange planetary customs, overflowing with confusing whirls of colour, odd barometrics, plunging orange oceans, disorientating 14 hour days?

It takes a special human to be a traveller and even more, a poised, deft and compassionate seeker of the ‘new’ as the Doctor’s (almost) full-time companion -a bolster, a foil.

DrBen the pur is fire in Ancient Greek, not the gentle cooking fire or that of pipe and cigarette, but of harrowing funeral pyres burning hot and malodorous. Ilion had towers billowing with smoke and blue-red fire.

So, yes, I should sign off as pur but actually someone referred to me once as ‘puro’ & I liked it. I’m not obsessive, I’m a digressive naughty romantic, moving from one topic to the next, boring the whimsy out of everyone! If I was a true classicist I’d stick to the pragmatic (like Adelaide), free of quirks and sluggishness. Not that all romantics are blatherers (just me) -look at Wagner, after all 🙂

Kindest, purofilion

DrBen @drben

@purofilion Cheers from one digressive naughty romantic to another! 🙂

I also don’t view 10 as “sociopathic” in The Waters of Mars — the word I would use is “nihilistic”.  He’s lost all reason to care about the consequences of his actions.  He feels oppressed by all of the Time Lord rules he has been forced to follow, even subconsciously — don’t interfere, don’t change history, don’t get involved — and finally cracks.  Because he is well and truly alone, he is beholden to no one, and can basically do what he wants.  He is well and truly the Lord of Time – the only one.  And oh what a rude awakening he gets on that account.

Thanks for the etymology lesson – I fully agree that “puro” is somehow more poetic.  (And you’re wrong – Wagner was definitely a blatherer.  That’s why his operas are so long.) 🙂

Anonymous @

@drben  yes I knew as I typed and then re-read ‘sociopathic’ that I was mis-wording it (not a word either!), and that nihilism would be more appropriate. I am one who uses terms like ‘sociopathology’ too often and that has serious consequences.

The Wagnerian in me is offended!!  🙂

Of course not, no. At uni, when the ABC was showing The Ring (Cycle), we’d set up the TV with a table of cheap nibbles and wine and see how much music/’art’ we could get through before becoming utterly bored/drunk/flirty/silly/ready to walk around the block whilst drunk/bored/flirty.

It was bloomin’ hard work and we loved to watch the serious amongst us become quite pious and watery eyed at the ‘majesty’ of his music. Not that I’ve got anything against Tristan and Isolde -I love the Tristan chord, myself.

I was lecturing with the Ilion thing, wasn’t I? I was being a total condescending twirp as you knew all that stuff? I must stop hectoring people. I recall stating this about 6 months ago. Clearly, I’m still doing it.

Silliest, Puro

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@arbutus

That was just fantastic, and a post (series of posts) that I’ll come back to again and again.  Thank you so much.

when he tells Clara that her answer “must be honest and cold and considered, without kindness or constraint.”  If this is his gold standard for dealing with people, it explains a lot.

It really does!

So what about Rule 1: The Doctor lies? Do you think this still applies with Twelve? In spite of his sometimes brutal honesty?

x

DrBen @drben

@purofilion – To be completely clear, you were in no way lecturing or hectoring.  I’m new here and didn’t know the story — I asked an honest question and was grateful for your answer.  No worries!

There is a quote, attributed at times to either Rossini or Mark Twain, that “Wagner has some beautiful moments, and some lousy half hours.”  But I kid.  Some of the most fun I had in my limited opera career was singing in the chorus for The Flying Dutchman (short, by Wagnerian standards), which included a fair amount of shouting and demolishing the stage.  Great great fun.

Arbutus @arbutus

@idiotsavon    Hm. I’d say he will still lie when it suits him, to accomplish something or keep someone out of danger. But he clearly doesn’t lie purely out of kindness.

@drben     That does sound a blast! For the record, I stand firmly in the wishy-wash on Wagner. A lot of it is great, including big chunks of the Ring, and my husband the trombone player loves Rheingold. But I had to study Tristan on two different occasions while in music school, and I heartily loathed it. So I’m sympathetic to the “lousy half hours” point of view.  🙂

DrBen @drben

@arbutus – It was indeed!  Overall, however, Wagner was not my thing because my voice was not big enough to sing it! 😉  Give me La Bohème or Carmen any day. 🙂

While we’re on digressions about names, yours doesn’t by any chance refer to the suburb of Baltimore, does it?

Arbutus @arbutus

@drben    No, it’s the tree, like my avatar. There are lots of them along the shorelines of the west coast of Canada, where I live.

DrBen @drben

@arbutus – Ah!  You do indeed learn something new every day.  So, alas, we are not neighbors (or neighbours, as the case may be), but it’s a lovely tree.

I guess I should try to get back on topic.  I agree that the Doctor still lies, but never maliciously.  Like any good parent, the Doctor lies when he needs to to protect you.

Timeloop @timeloop

@arbutus @purofilion @drben

Yeah after your comments I watched it again and that made me realize how cold 12 is. He is playing his version of 12 perfectly, I don’t have any objections. 11 Is just so much warmer, a quality that the 12th Doctor hardly shows.

Anonymous @

@timeloop but as your see him in the more recent episodes- particularly ‘mummy’ related-  his hearts of gold start to shine. Perhaps it was so relative -the warmth with 11 was so effervescent: it effected every relationship and thought, kiss and deed! 12 is more Pertwee at times with a cool, grim breath of quiet foreboding. So alien after all.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As we’ve been discussing Series 8, we’ve had a few mentions of how difficult it must be for writers to anticipate how the new Doctor will work. I guess that doesn’t just go for TV as this Guardian interview with writer Holly Black reveals.

Her Book – Lights out, is an addition to the eleven doctor short stories by famous writers released last year, and is an addition for Doctor number 12. It’s quite fun with her talking about what she had to go on, and her relief at being to edit once she’d seen Deep Breath.

That entire range is being released again for all 12 Doctors, and I love the limited run in a slip case. Each of the novels have jackets that really are jackets . Gallery of them all.

Cover for Lights Out.

Brewski @brewski

Colony In Space:

Couldn’t find a better place for this as I didn’t see this epp in the BG section.  So here goes:

I watched this episode recently and something occurred to me.  You have the mining corporation being evil and trying to take over this planet that is being colonized.  And the colonists trying to hang on to their new home.  They bring in an adjudicator (albeit a sham one thanks to the Master) to decide the correct fate of the planet.  All the while struggling to deal with the “primitives”.

And all the while no one – not the colonists, not Jo, not even the Doctor – mention the most pertinent fact to the question.  The planet already belongs to someone!

The answer should have been “Both of you get off.  The current, native population owns the planet”.

Did I miss something there?

Anonymous @

@brewskiColony in Space was a pretty entertaining episode to me.  I think you brought up the most interesting aspect to think about.  It does seems strange that no body thought about the primitives I’m guessing that is mainly because of Star Trek’s influence. Star Trek would have defended the primitives and not allowed the settlers or corporation to take the planet like you suggest. Colony in Space shows that the Whoniverse operates by different rules than Star Trek and it is interesting to examine this episode to find the motives of the parties involved (Doctor, Master, Time Lord Council, Corporation, Settlers).

The Time Lords have a non interference policy similar to Star Trek, but to the Time Lords everyone is a “primitive” that is not a Time Lord. So, the primitives, settlers, and corporation were all the same to the Time Lords. The only reason the Time Lords were involved at all was because the Master stole their files, so they sent the Doctor to stop the Master from getting the doomsday weapon.

It’s funny that the Master was the only one who cared about the primitives, but only for bad reasons which was to get their weapon.

I think the Doctor was helping the settlers because he assumed that they would find a way to live in peace with the primitives. 

Nobody liked the corporation which was going to destroy the planet for everyone.

Brewski @brewski

@barnable

Interestingly,  just a few episodes later,  The Mutants (I’m watching them in sequence in Retro TV) they raised this very issue with human colonists basically disregarding the rights of the native population.

I almost wonder if they didn’t discuss the issue internally after Colony in Space and decide to tackle it head on.

shellthelordoftime @shellthelordoftime

Hi All i wonder if some one can put my mind to rest as i have just finished watching the Doctor Who movie with the so called 8 th carnation of the time lord.

just to clarify the Master in the movie can see through the eye of harmony and can tell that the Doctor is half human (no wonder he loves the place so much)!!

i might be a little stupid here but i am sure that a time lord human metacrisis cannot possibly exist hence Dona`s departure?

and how did he get to be half human previous if it actually happened to him,,apart from Tennant and Tate with the Doctors hand  (growing from her residual energy) making him half human that he gives to Rose as a parting gift.

Thank you

Shell

Cyberlord @cyberlord

CYBER-REPORT: Everyone is mentioning Peter Capaldi’s insanely terrifying eyebrows, but anyone old enough will know the true terror of the Doctor’s eyes….

Anonymous @

I relate most with Peter Davison’s Doctor.   To be fair I can’t claim to be an aficionado and have mostly watched just the 4th, 5th and 7th Doctors.   Davison’s analytical detective pace most appealed to me, although they all have it of course.

RandyPan @randypan

Okay, the site’s not letting me start my own topic, so I’m forced to post this here.

So, let’s suppose, in a couple of years, when Peter Capaldi decides to move on, and they get a new Doctor, whoever’s in charge at that point is like, “We’ve established that Timelords can change gender, so why not make the next Doctor a woman?”  Who would you pick to play a female Doctor?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@randypan

Ever since Gina Bellman was suggested in another discussion, I’ve been drawn to that as a suggestion. Ideal candidate in that she’s not massively famous, good range of parts, light touch with comedy, etc.

Who would you pick?

RandyPan @randypan

Natalia Tena. 

Best known as Tonks(Don’t you dare call her Nymphadora.) in the last four Harry Potter movies, and as Osha on Game of Thrones.  Not only is she a great actress, but she’s eccentric enough in real life to be the Doctor.

Master Merlin @mastermerlin

I have a question about the First Doctor.

In some episodes of the show, he is depicted with just a short bob in terms of hair:

In others, it seems, he has almost shoulder length hair:

I am curious as to which episodes he has very long hair in?

Anonymous @

@randypan; @phasedhift

The idea of the doctor being a woman, gay or lesbian transgender all come under the classification of social themes and issues. The reason doctor who has been so successful and long lasting is the total avoidance of social issues and trends of the day. Doctor who from a primarily  historical view has tended to deal with more abstract political concepts. David Tennant’s Doctor Who said it all. they all grow old; i don’t. It is a bit late to start mucking about with Doctor Who’s gender or socially orientated social issues. The classic series is still making money for the BBC as it has done for the last 30 odd years. We have a saying here in Australia. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Change for the sake of change is not good for business. This is the reason certain British programs came to premature ends.

So in closing the continuing success of the doctor’s character structure is a continuing tribute to the genius of Sydney Newman and Verity  Lambert.

RandyPan @randypan

Okay, you are trying really hard not come off like a misogynist.  What are you afraid of?

Anonymous @

@adt1957  I’m from Oz, and I NEVER say that. Things should always evolve and change. Things are frequently broken and no-body notices.

Cheers though!

Anonymous @

@randypan

No i am not a misogynist you miss the point of my statement. My point is that changing the doctor’s gender for what ever reason is still in the ball park of a social theme and it has never been part of the doctor who story. Changing the doctor into woman is not going to increase its ratings anymore than what they are now. So there is no point changing. That is why it has lasted so long. Social themes have a limited shelf life until the next social them  comes along and that is when you do start losing ratings.

@purofilion

You might not say that but others do. The saying has been around for many decades particularly in Sydney

That things change and evolve is a good point. However change just for the sake of it or without reason is not always a good idea. Goes right back to the ratings and that in the end determines the long term success of a tv program.

okcorral @okcorral

Although I like the idea of changing the Doctor’s gender, I’d say that adt1957 has a point, in that I’d say a lot of fans would have an issue with it. I would think that there’d be a lot of opposition as people are so used to the Doctor being a man. If they were to change the Doctor to a woman they’d have to be very careful about who they chose, because if the individual turned out to not be very good, then people who opposed the change in the first place would become even more opposed to the alteration in gender. Also, as a matter of interest, has the Doctor ever been talked about being with a man?

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@adt1957 — Sorry, you’re wrong. Doctor Who is choc-full of social themes. Always has been, always will be. The show’s second ever show is clearly an anti-nuclear parable and has a few things to say on pacifism too. The Peladon stories are very specific satires on British industrial relations of the time. You could argue that the portrayal of Time Lord society is trying to say a few things about class structure. It’s a show constantly reacting to its social environment and influences.

It’s always there, whether it’s oblique and metaphorical, done as satire or even done straight on the nose. Which is as it should be. Because it’s actually impossible to do drama that’s not in some way engaging with society. Society is people and people are drama.

So, no the show did not survive all this time by standing still. It did it by evolving and changing. And it will continue to do so. And that means that we will undoubtedly get a female or black Doctor when the time is considered right.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish

Good points however what you are talking about in the above post are political issues

not social issues. There is a difference.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@adt1957 — actually there really isn’t. Political issues, social issues. It’s all the same thing. They’re both manifestations of the human condition in relation to the others around it. There’s absolutely no reason why there can’t be a non-causasian, non-male Doctor. It’s entirely dependent on the stories that the showrunner of the time wants to tell and relative talent of the Doctor being cast. A great female Doctor is still far preferable to a mediocre male one.

And on the other hand, it might benefit the show in general if it makes such a move on its own steam and on its own terms rather than sticking its head in the sand and finding itself hopelessly anachronistic and dated looking. If the show had gone by what certain strata of the more stuck-in-the-past fandom wanted — megalomaniac monsters, dated sexual politics, as little character-based drama as possible, the reboot wouldn’t have lasted three years, let alone the 10 it will be celebrating this year.

Fortunately, there’s no danger of that happening.

RandyPan @randypan

Why can’t they do it just to do it?  Why does everything have to have a meaning?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@adt1957

changing the doctor’s gender for what ever reason is still in the ball park of a social theme

Rubbish.

There are parts where changing the gender changes some of the implications – changing Prospero to Prospera alters the relationship between Prospera and Miranda, as well as altering the dynamics of her testing of Ferdinand. If you’ve seen Helen Mirren in The Tempest, you’ll know that it’s both fun to do and worthwhile. It allows you to take a look at a character from a different direction, and brings stuff that you might not have consciously realised into a clearer focus.

Prospero in The Tempest is, however, a character with a fixed script. The Doctor in Doctor Who is not a character with a fixed script. He does have a fixed relationship, but frankly, my dear, I don’t think the TARDIS will give a damn.

Now, please, explain to me exactly what changing the gender of the Doctor will alter that you don’t like? No hiding behind ‘social themes’, just explain to me how it’s going to alter the dynamics within the show. Or the relationships within the show.

Or is it the relationship with the audience that you’re worried about? Because that alters every single time there’s a new Doctor. They took a huge risk with the twelve year old, they took a huge risk with the grey haired stick insect and they even took a huge risk with Patrick Troughton!

So what’s the big deal if they do decide to take a huge risk with an actor of the female persuasion? This is the Doctor. She regenerates. She can regenerate back. 😉

@adt1957

The reason doctor who has been so successful and long lasting is the total avoidance of social issues and trends of the day.

Were you in another room when they were handing attention spans out? ‘Cos you seem to have missed all of the many, many episodes that delat directly – and sometimes not so directly – with social and political themes.

A little less sophistry would go a long way.

The reason the show has lasted as it has is because it has had the balls to constantly reinvent itself.

@randypan

Gina Bellman remains my choice, but I would love to be surprised and delighted by someone I am unfamiliar with.

Anonymous @

@adt1957

I’m never thrilled when people ‘tell’ me things as if I don’t know them. The above discussion with @bluesqueakpip @jimthefish and @pedant was a case in point where they didn’t ‘tell’ but rather explained statements using evidence. You seem to have some ideas which you quantify as a definite point -but the arguments above are far more substantial and concrete. The notion that I wouldn’t have heard “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” is absurd. The phrase has been around for over a hundred years and appeared in the Adelaide Advertiser at the turn of 20th century.

The point I’m also making is that people who use such a phrase are often socially and politically conservative. I know that’s a generalist statement but it has been my own experience just as your statement:

changing the doctor’s gender for what ever reason is still in the ball park of a social theme”

is an opinion and part of your experience. Though I would agree with the Blue when she says it’s totally “rubbish.” 🙂

I’m not denying it’s an interesting point but evolution is part of the natural order. Change, when applied for the good of the medium, is essential. I’d state that Doctor Who has always used trends and applied them in every iteration of the Doctor -both BG and AG. If it had avoided social and political issues, the show would have simply lost out to better programmes. Ultimately, as Orwell and Proust (and Proudhon) state, all social activities are political acts. It’s in our very nature to be political animals. So when Jim says, “Society is people and people are drama” I would add that “society is people and people is political, mate”.

Getting back to “if it aint broke…,” I recall my mother once ‘telling’ me things. It was as if, by telling me, it became my social experience and did not exist until the telling was told.

DonnaNoble @donnanoble

As the show progressed, and new doctors emerged, they became, well, more serious. Let’s start with the revival, number Nine. He was cheeky, and funny, but that was to cover up the shame of what he’d done. Ten was still not ready to confront his actions, and as Davros himself put it “Never looking back, because he dare not.” Eleven, I could start a blog with. I’ll keep it simple by using a quote from him, “We’re all just stories, in the end.” I know people reading this  are going NOT THAT QUOTE AGAIN!!!!! But listen. People can analize this phrase, look at it from every angle, and never get what it truly means. You have to think of the shame and sadness of Eleven. After losing all those companions, and his PLANET! Now you all think, well all the other Doctors did too, but you’re wrong. He lost something more than that. When he said that quote, he was thinking of everyone he had loved and lost. All that shame and sorrow, and he tries to make jokes and laugh, but there are some moments where he just can’t take it anymore. That is why Eleven is my favorite Doctor. He has to bear more shame than all of the other doctors, and that is enought to make you almost pity him. Not as a weak man, though, but pity him for how strong he has to be.

Anonymous @

@donnanoble

well, you know, I’ve thought about it briefly and I’ve thought about it at length and I think most people would get that phrase: “we’re all stories in the end.” Certainly it’s been analysed and felt by people. I would also add that the other Doctors would feel the same: Hartnell made similar statements in his role as Doctor about what makes up the human condition.

As for: “well all the other Doctors did too, but you’re [all] wrong.”

Why?

I believe that the Doctors’ experience is contiguous and magnifies itself. Nine and Ten have experienced untold loss. I don’t think Eleven has ‘untold loss’ greater than say, Ten. By the end of The Time of the Doctor, he has grown extraordinarily, and in this current iteration, is a reconciled man. I  loved the Eleventh Doctor, however.

Regards, puro.

Master Merlin @mastermerlin

Would someone be so kind as to reply to my post?

Anonymous @

@mastermerlin

Ah! The post regarding the long hair. I don’t have a clue, my friend. You could check out all his episodes and review the hair yourself, if you like.

They are great pictures aren’t they? I suspect that the earlier episodes in which he wore a wig, it was shorter. Later, near the end of his run, the wigs were longer. But that’s a guess, really.

Regardez vous, puro.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

My favorite Doctor is the 12th Doctor . I think people see him as if he is dark and grumpy but I think that he is right to act this way . I think he is the Doctor that is more willing to make sacrifice more and he is willing to prove his point no matter what people think of him . He also seems to be more of a grey hero than the other Doctors witch I like . I know when the Peter leaves the show a woman can not play the Doctor . I think River and Missy are all the female time lords we need for now .

ichabod @ichabod

Ran across some new pics from S9 shooting (around the return of Osgood, or anyway some version of Osgood), and I am very relieved to see CapDoc wearing one of his more casual outfits (jumper, rather than white shirt and vest, under the now somewhat beat-up looking Crombie coat) but not those goofy tartan pants (pics from the filming of an ep with Maisie Williams), which read to me as “pajama bottoms, probably with footies”, and maybe stuffed toy companions for sleeping as well.  I get it that the new series CapDoc has found a workable self in S8 so maybe the whole “power suit” costume will only come out when a special impression needs to be made, but the jammies made him look, to these old eyes, like somebody who had just been tumbled out of bed way too late in the morning (which maybe he was, in that episode, shot at night, but long range)?

No disrespect to previous Doctors and their rather outré clothing choices, but if CapDoc wants some street-funk time, instead of tartan jammie pants I’d rather see blue jeans (with a hole in the knee?) to complement the hoodie (an inspired choice, IMO, worn, instead of a vest, *under* the Crombie so the coat can left open to swirl about dramatically without the guy wearing it freezing to death in cold spring winds).  Or maybe camo pants?  Except, the “soldier” problem, only that was moderated by the events of DiH, wasn’t it?

Um.  That’s it for today’s fashion commentary from me . . .

Anonymous @

@craig @fatmaninabox @ichabod

honestly, Maisie Williams? Isn’t the above post a Spoiler**  not for this particular thread? ie not for future faces or companions.

H’Help!

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion   Oh damn, if that’s a spoiler I’m sorry — the net has been humming about this for some time, so I assumed — wrongly, it seems — that it was widely known that this acto was tipped for some kind of part in S9 weeks ago.  “Spoiler” as I’ve seen it used so far has meant some sort of plot-reveal, rather than ID of someone joining the cast for a bit.  I’ll avoid naming anybody in future; meantime, by all means somebody get the post outta here!  I certainly didn’t intend to distress anyone.

Anonymous @

@ichabod no, I dunno. If you mention a place or a new name -I didn’t know about Maisie until Gamergirl mentioned it and it was promptly moved to the spoiler. I think it’s not just about plot reveal. Let’s say Kingston was coming back? No way would I want to know that. It’s easy to avoid actually. We just skip ads or don’t read the papers. Here, we talk about it on the Spoilers thread which kind of protects us.

No worries. I knew about Maisie from some other source….but then I quickly stopped reading your post. Again, no sweat.

jphamlore @jphamlore

Isn’t the Valeyard supposed to emerge around this time in the Doctor’s life …

RandyPan @randypan

Technically, he’s from between Tennant and Smith.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion  Okay then, thanks!

Ichi

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

I have a question . Some people think that the 9th Doctor was to much from the north , but people said Matt Smith was to young and he became one of the best actors to play The Doctor . Some fans said Peter was to old or to Scottish but he has turned out to be a great Doctor also David is Scottish and he is rated the best Doctor . Some people are still saying that the 9th Doctor to much from the north . If you think that about the 9th Doctor can you tell me why you think that .

Anonymous @

@Purofilion

I haven’t seen The Space Museum. Must see?

BG Who was a lot more inconsistent than AG Who (at least for me).  I like 99.99% of AG Who and BG Who might be closer to 60% at times.

I watched stories then I read reviews online afterwards.   Some of my least favorites were hailed as greats while some stories I liked very much were rated the worst things ever inflicted on the viewing public (even officially on the 200 list 😥 ).

If I learned anything it’s that my opinion is rubbish for judging what you might like. They’re all must see stories because you don’t know which ones you will like. It’s like finding buried treasure when you find a new favorite. And there are definitely some good ones to find.

I know you are busy watching box sets till the end of time, but here is my advice.

I usually could tell early if it was my kind of story and I can’t think of any, where my early opinion changed much. So to save some time, I think you could skip through until you find one interesting. Or if you like a certain companion you can research to see all of their stories.

The TL stories might be must see, only because they rarely show up in AG Who.

Anonymous @

@barnable thank you

And I know what you mean. Half the stuff I like other people say “huh?” to. Apparently the entire country love something called The X Factor and I’m a fool on Youtube because I despise the idea of humiliating people by ‘stars’ who are total dickheads and who demonstrate they ‘like a voice’ because they put their $3000 La Swank heel on the button (being too cool to use their hand, I suppose: or being Neanderthal, they don’t know what hands are for).

But thank you for advice : -)

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,096 total)

The topic ‘The Faces of the Doctor’ is closed to new replies.