Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    Timeloop @timeloop

@craig Okay I can understand that. Those people who want to make themselves look good havent arrived (yet).

@scaryb You mean all of us are fishes now?? Some in here chose the right name..

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop No, most of us are on or behind the (as big as it needs to be) sofa. The fishes are confined to @whohar‘s (megasized, luxury) bath since @juniperfish sneaked some fish-isng nanobots into the water round the sofa. Was getting a bit damp anyway. We may have to move them for the finale though if @phaseshift goes for his usual “bathe in the blood of the innocents” finale watching ritual.

And our mighty mods @craig, @phaseshift, @jimthefish are on guard at the watery portal

:mrgreen:

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig. ย @phaseshift. @jimthefish

I have just discovered that I’m going to have to go into a bit of confinement on Friday and will miss Sat – I will be out of action tilmWednesday next week it seems. No telly! Or Internet afterย Sat morningย it appears.

Grr…

I have been meaning to ask if you think it might be a good idea to separate out the various Doctor posts from Faces of the Doctor and put them as individual blog posts under the blog – eleven, one for each incarnation? What do you think?

I just feel stupid posting now about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Doctors when people are focused ( rightly ) on Davison and soon CB.

Just a thought.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@htpbdet I’m sorry to hear that. Hope everything is reasonably okay, or as best as it can be. Can you not smuggle a TV in?

I’ll have a think, and will discuss with @phaseshift and @jimthefish, about the best way of splitting that forum up. As I said, forum topics and posts are not easily changed into blog posts and comments, but I think I have a solution which may work.

When we started, and had about 15-20 regular posters, one thread for Faces of the Doctor seemed sufficient, but I should have allowed for expansion. I did with the Episodes forum, but not in some of the General threads. Must do better next time ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m guessing you’ll be back before Friday, but if not, I wish you all the best and a speedy return, as I’m sure everyone here does. I’ve enjoyed reading all your contributions and you’ve become a central and invaluable part of our little community.

You have my very best wishes.

Anonymous @

@htpbdet — this is Craig’s call, I think.

Talk about bad timing! But I hope you’re feeling OK and that it all goes well. And just to echo @craig‘s sentiments, I always look forward to your posts, which are invariably wise, entertaining and informative. You’ll certainly be missed when it all kicks off here after the episode airs on Saturday. So I wish you a speedy recovery and a swift return to these parts.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@htpbdet

Yes, best wishes from me as well. We’ll let @craig have a ponder on the Faces issue. I’d suggest you’ve become a draw on there with your posts, and I don’t really mind people catching up with their thoughts later for us to ponder on. Hope you are out for the episode, or get to watch it with an attractive nurse peeling you grapes. ๐Ÿ™‚

WhoHar @whohar

@craig.

Minor niggle – can you please add the formatting icons to the blog post text box. Struggling a bit with the HTML tags. Thanks.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@htpbdet – hope all goes well.

janetteB @janetteb

@htpbdet I hope all goes well.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@htpbdet Seriously going to miss your posts in next few days. Sending lots of positive nanobots in your direction (don’t know what good they’ll do, but they were the most portable virtual things to hand ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). Hope all goes well.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@htpbdet – Best ย wishes! ย and speedy return.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whohar I’ve been working on it. Turns out not to be that easy ๐Ÿ˜ก but hope to find a solution soon.

WhoHar @whohar

@craig

Thanks. I feel a bit churlish for even asking.

Can you give me some tips on the HTML usage then when you have a moment. (Oh no, I sound like a 1980’s grandmother asking for help programming the video).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whohar

Donโ€™t know if this will help as a workaround, but itโ€™s how I format comments for blog posts to easily use the html format functions.

Basically I open the blog page and one of the comment pages like this one in another โ€œtabโ€, format the comment here, click the โ€œtextโ€ icon on the comment box, select all the text, press Ctrl + X (Cut) and use Ctrl + V (Paste) in the blog comment box. Doing it in the Text pane carries all the html tags and makes sure the various expressions are closed.

You just have to remember not to hit the submit button on the wrong page! ๐Ÿ™‚

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift Great idea. And @whohar no problem at all.

I will be doing more work on it tonight, so hopefully will get it working soon. The problem so far is that changes I make to the blog text box also affect the forum text box and sometimes stop it working, or cause it to do strange things, but I think I’m getting close. Just need to isolate the issues.

Anonymous @

Hi @craig – sorry to burden you with something else, really, so apologies in advance for bringing this to your attention.

I was just re-reading the ‘Forum Etiquette’ page and you mention posting into the experimental next episode page.ย  If that experiment didn’t work out as you had hoped (and I admit to suggesting that one myself), should all discussion of a particular episode stay in that one episode’s thread, and anything about a future episode goes into ‘Doctor Who News’ instead?ย  Or, do we just keep commenting in the current episode’s thread until the next one is opened around broadcast time?

I’m a keen organiser (probably why I did so well at creating / maintaining databases), and I know that over-complication leads to disintegration of community coherence.ย  How to handle this as our community grows, the volume of comments expands exponentially, and cross-over of comment content is always an issue?ย  I don’t know.

There is also the anomaly of the 50th this year, which means whatever thread differentiation is done now will change again once the next series is up and running.ย  But in the short term, do you envisage that our theorising should stay with The Name of the Doctor until the 50th airs, or do you suggest we think about the most apposite place to post, i.e., TNotD vs 50th Anniversary?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot no probs at all. Yes, I wasn’t that happy with the way opening the new episode thread early worked out. Some people jumped in, but mostly posted jokes. The jokes were great but there was no real discussion, and at the same time others who were more spoiler averse didn’t want to risk visiting, so it split the community. I wouldn’t mind splitting the community if it really added to the conversation but I don’t think there was any really positive outcome.

So I think it’s probably best if conversation stays in the most recent episode’s thread until the next episode. Even if it’s theorising about the next episode, it’s probably going to be theorising based on what happened in the most recent episode.

Regarding the 50th we already have a “50th Anniversary Special” thread for that. What I think I may do is close that tomorrow to keep the conversation on TNotD for about 5 days or so, then open it up again.

In the words of Indiana Jones, “I’m making this up as I go again along”, but I’m hoping that will work and keep the conversation focused for everyone. ๐Ÿ˜•

What I think I may do is close that tomorrow to keep the conversation on TNotD for about 5 days or so, then open it up again.

@craig – that sounds a good plan. A lot of our discussion on TNotD is likely to look forward to the 50th – and it’s going to get confusing if there are two places to post. Are we discussing the episode, or are we discussing the 50th? And if the post is 50/50, where does it go?

So yes, close the 50th Anniversary speculation thread for a week, and then see whether conversation moves over, or stays on TNotD. ๐Ÿ™‚

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Thanks @bluesqueakpip I do value your advice. And I loved your post this morning. Now that would be breaking the 4th wall! ๐Ÿ˜€

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Re closing 50th thread next week – good idea I think too. Discussions seem to evolve naturally to the next episode after the first few days. And it sounds like there’s going to be LOTS to talk about after Sat ๐Ÿ™‚ย  It’s been working pretty well this week I think. (Apart from the frustration of watching the Spoilers thread buzzing, LOL, but that’s my choice. And everyone has been really good about keepng even slight spoilers off the main threads. ๐Ÿ˜€ )

btw what are the traffic stats this week? (And did you have to beat off any trolls? (concerned for our Mods on portal duty))

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig, @bluesqueakpip and @scaryb

On the 50th thread I wondered if we should play it by ear? I agree with closing it, but perhaps it should not open again to be replaced with a a blank slate that has links to the old thread (and perhaps the series 7b speculation thread because they overlaped?

We may get a few more posters after tomorrows episode. A blank slate in which previous opinions could be drawn on (informed by eight more episodes) may seem a little less cluttered and easier to engage with?

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift – great minds and all that! I just came back in to post that, LOL. If there isn’t a problem re the no of threads we can have, then great. There’s over 200 posts on the 50th already. A clean sheet would be good – since we’ve scribbled and doodled all over the one that’s there ๐Ÿ™‚ And I suspect we may have to rethink a lot of it after Sat (tomorrow!!!) anyway. But still being able to link to it from the new thread would be good, tho not visible on front page.

Also – given that the new 50th is going to have to last 5 months ๐Ÿ™ is it worth having a think (after Sat) re how it could be broken up eg the way it looks at the moment it could be The Doctor, Clara, What monsters do we think will be in it, Beyond the 50th. Who knows what will crop up in tNotD

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Cheers @scaryb Actually, I’ve been keeping an eye on the spoilers thread and no one has posted any real spoilers (maybe very minor ones). There have been a couple of links but then it’s down to you if you click them.

I am impressed with everyone on here. There has been so much respect shown for everyone else. Would it have been the same without the rumoured leak? I’d like to think so.

I’ve not had to beat off any trolls. It’s actually impossible for anyone to sign up at the mo. I know it seemed like someone did today but I think they signed up before and just clicked the confirmation email link this morning.

Re traffic stats, to me it’s pretty insane. We seem to have about 70ish active members, perhaps even less, yet in slightly less than a week we’ve had over 2000 unique visitors from all over the world. I have visited on several different devices so probably account for about 5 of them, but even if we all counted for 4 or 5 that still leaves a lot of other visitors. And page views is just insane. It’s over 30,000 now. Average time on site per visit is around 14 minutes.

Basically, for a reasonably new site I think we’re doing amazingly well. Keep it up! ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous @

@craig, @phaseshift, @scaryb and@everybody — with regards to the 50th thread after Name of the Doctor dies down I think it might be a good idea to start afresh. Especially if tomorrow’s episode proves to be the ‘game-changer’ that Moffatt claims and throws all our theories into disarray…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift @bluesqueakpip and @scaryb

I’m open to suggestion. I’ll shut the 50th thread and have a read through. It seems a shame to mothball it but it may well look prehistoric after Saturday. Hopefully after tomorrow I’ll have a clearer idea of how things should be organised.

For instance, we may need to start a new thread about what we think about Jenna-Louise as the new Doctor ๐Ÿ˜€

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

I am impressed with everyone on here

Me too. And I think it would have been the same with or without the heightened threat. It was just a case of sorting out the definitions of what everyone thinks is a spoiler and agreeing where to post.ย  What was it you said – “aim is to create a place for those who love spoilers and those who hate them to happily co-exist”

Yay! Go us ๐Ÿ™‚ย  (thanks @everyone)

Re the stats – so no matter how many times eg I log in and post in a day, that counts as 1 unique viewer? Wow! There again you’ve done great work with the search engines, regularly in top 5 (and all the video links etc won’t do any harm either)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Yes, we’ve had around 6000 visits in a week (viewing over 5 pages each) and over 2000 unique visitors. So come and go as you please, you still only count as one unique visitor (unless you log in at work as well, or check us out on your iPad, iPhone etc. then you will be counted as 2 or 3 unique visitors).

I’m happy with where we are in the search rankings. Not sure I want us to be top because we may lose what we’ve got if we have a deluge of members. But then again, I was discussing this with one of my colleagues today and I think that the tone of this forum has been set, and it may be very difficult for it to be changed, even if a few trolls try.

ScaryB @scaryb

Re the 50th thread – come Sunday we may all have abandoned this forum in disgust that Moff’s solution isn’t anything like as creative or fun as the stuff we’ve been dreaming up LOL ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig And yes agree re tone of the forum. The biggest change has been over the last 8 weeks – when membership’s approximately quadrupled. I’d’ve thought that was the danger point, given we were only about 40 in March and a fairly tight group. But the new folk have been great.ย  The way it’s been set up doesn’t encourage trolling, and the general niceness would probably kill them if they stayed too long.ย  I’d expect the newbies joining rate to slow down again after next week, without the series and Dan’s blog, which will give it time to bed in again and new folk to find their feet.

Just wondering about Fulcanelli from last week, who I see has since left. Feeling a bit bad about that and not sure if it read as if I was over-reacting. Was trying to keep it light and I’d just said I didn’t want to hear a whisper of a breath of a hint of a spoiler (or something similar).ย  Then he commented on my post with ref to a (granted, non-specific) spoiler! Thanks for your support on that btw, but let me know if you think I was too nippy with him.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

I was discussing this with one of my colleagues today and I think that the tone of this forum has been set, and it may be very difficult for it to be changed, even if a few trolls try.

I think I agree with this. I’ve always believed that good conversation leads to good conversation. We don’t always agree, but I think the spirit and tone of discussion has remained upbeat and convivial, perhaps because we have attracted people who want that kind of discussion?

Long may it continue. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous @

@scaryb — Didn’t realise that @Fulcanellli had left. Sorry to hear that. I thought he was quite a good contributor. But I’m sure it was nothing you said. Maybe they just didn’t fancy it anymore. Or Nightmare in Silver was the last straw for them…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb I hadn’t realised Fulcanelli had left. I did see him popping in and out during this week so he didn’t leave right after your minor altercation, if that makes you feel better. He must have just left yesterday or maybe the day before.

I wouldn’t feel bad. For example, @craignixon posted that he’d read a synopsis of the final episode but promised he wouldn’t say anything. I cautioned him that doing a Fulcanelli and saying no, your theory is wrong, is just as bad as a spoiler. He said he wouldn’t and he has been as good as his word. Thanks CraigNixon, you have been a gent! ๐Ÿ˜€

Fulcanelli may be a lovely person, but if he can’t hold his tongue then actually I’m quite happy he is gone. After all, he’d posted spoilers in the wrong place before. That may sound a bit brutal, but I’d love everyone here to respect everyone else. I know things about tomorrow’s episode because I have been on spoiler alert, I wish I didn’t, although I don’t think I have been too spoiled. But to start telling people they are right or wrong, hmmm, this isn’t the right place. Go join Gallifrey Base.

I remain your guardian, although I do sleep sometimes!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift I’m drawn back to Truculent’s comment on The Guardian a week or two ago that on here everyone agrees with everyone else.

It made me laugh for two reasons.

1. He is wrong, we disagree at times, we just don’t abuse each other like everywhere else on the internet.

2. And this is the main reason I laughed (with joy), he’s visited and read the posts, is familiar with the sort of conversation that goes on here, and decided it’s not a place for him.

For those reasons I think we’ve done a great job.

Anonymous @

@craig – besides the obvious and deservedly lauded benefits of having a wonderfully congenial contingent of commenters, I think this site’s USP is the provision of a forum for very long, very personal, very detailed and utterly articulate, and for all those reasons very interesting comments and blogposts.

I’ve said before that I haven’t travelled much in the Who-niverse online.ย  But what few excursions I made into links provided herein were frankly terrible experiences.ย  The Graun blog’s standard ‘I hate this and it should be drowned with puppies while we all laugh at what a travesty it has become’ comments long ago drove me away from participating there.ย  Other sites’ comments are on a par with YouTube’s (which are richly parodied elsewhere, not least in ‘From The Message Boards’ in Private Eye).

But here we have contributors generously posting magnificently detailed and thoughtful analyses of characters, individual storylines, story arcs, and production/writer changes (and the effects of those on the series as a whole).ย  Contrary to what is perhaps some G contributors’ stereotypes of this site, it isn’t a gigantic wankfest of Who-love; certainly, a minimal level of appreciation for the series is necessary, but there are plenty of differences to be seen.ย  As you say, though, differences are acknowledged with ‘I disagree, for these reasons …’ ;ย  NOT: ‘Your SH*T cause thats so ENTIRELY!!!!! wrong and you DON’T HAVE A CLUE!!!!ย  What a wanker!!’

The problem, I guess, is that a vast majority of people commenting anywhere on the internet believe that ‘This series makes me want to drink my own vomit during my Gran’s death throes’ is a valid (and therefore valued) contribution.ย  And so far – fingers and toes tightly crossed! – we have managed to ward off anyone of that persuasion on this site.

But you @craig, and all the original people who built this site into what it is today, have nurtured and encouraged comments – and now blogposts – which explore in rich detail the literary and philosophical horizons of Doctor Who.ย  For everyone who came before, I heartily salute you, and thank you for welcoming me and others who came after the beginning, who share your vision.

Anonymous @

@craig — RE. Truckles. He posted a reply to me a couple of weeks ago that was essentially a warning that he was continuing to keep an eye on us with great interest (maybe to make sure we weren’t dissing him). I’m afraid it got deleted as it also contained some rather, ah, intemperate and downright rude personal attacks in it also.

Still quite bemused by that whole DeM thing of a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have attracted his personal ire now and I’m still not completely sure why.

But, yeah, I think he’s still a regular lurker here.

ScaryB @scaryb

Setting up this forum has been a fascinating experiment, particularly when you see the rising tide of grinchiness on the G-blog (and elsewhere) esp since they introduced nesting. And especially given that none of us actually know each other; I’m guessing we’re a wide range at least of ages and experiences, not to mention fish, fowl, dogs, cats and aliens; the one common factor (after Who) is maybe a tendency to read Graun blogs.

Anyway, it’s been a wonderful haven in here this week, much appreciated, when the trolls and spoilery things are barking in the woods outside!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

But here we have contributors generously posting magnificently detailed and thoughtful analyses of characters, individual storylines, story arcs…

We have to – you keep asking very detailed questions, LOL

(And thanks for your own contributions – doesn’t matter how long you’ve been watching the show for)

:mrgreen:

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig @jimthefish

Yes, dear ‘Xander is the type of personality who is probably a frequent lurker on this site, drawn, like a dog, to the smell of its own vomit. Frankly, I couldn’t give a wet slap.

With enemies like him, you are always sure to make more friends…. ๐Ÿ™‚

This really has been good for me. Its been great to see people engage with the site, have their say in the conversations, volunteer to post the odd blog. It really does feel fresh, new and old in so many ways. Very Doctorish.

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish – LOL

Maybe he thinks he’s acquired a stalker! Actually it’s more likely to be because you reply. He loves to stir it and get a reaction, and he loves to get the last word. He may even think he’s being funny. I have a friend like that – love him dearly – but he can’t understand that forceful dry humour just doesn’t translate on to paper/screen, and especially if you don’t know him. He’s pissed off a few people (not on the G blog).

Anonymous @

@scaryb[what I said] : “But here we have contributors generously posting magnificently detailed and thoughtful analyses of characters, individual storylines, story arcsโ€ฆ”

[what you replied] : We have to โ€“ you keep asking very detailed questions, LOL

I know, I know, I’m starting to feel a bit guilty about trying to drag this website over to my own personal needs and vision.ย  In my defence, m’lud, with the advent of the blogs this site gratifyingly moved to what I want without my having said anything at all.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

But beyond my ferocious need to be told a story (probably dates back to my childhood when I, as a precociously early reader, had to read to my Gran at bedtime, rather than the other way around) I truly do think what this site uniquely provides is a forum for extended and erudite comments which wrap Doctor Who the show into both people’s personal lives, and the political and social times which accompanied the various Doctors and companions.

So I will continue to request more of the same:ย  more room for people who have both writing ability and knowledge of the show to be let loose to entertain and educate us in equal measure.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift @jimthefish @scaryb @Shazzbot

When I started this, it was a response to a slightly frantic plea for someone to start something, anything! I didn’t really want to.

On the eve of the final episode of this series I am so glad I did because it has become, so far, the sort of forum I always wanted to be a part of, populated by proper fans, and many with an encyclopedic knowledge of Doctor Who.

I’m going out now, but will be back tomorrow in time for the finale.

Thank You, to all of you.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Our reluctant hero, haha, just like the Doctor.

Have a good night

@craig

I bet you say that to all the nerds…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Oh, and one more thing. Let’s all send @htpbdet some good vibes. I’m not a big believer in anything spiritual, but you never know. If we can believe the Doctor can be remembered out of nowhere, we can certainly will one of our valued contributors back by this time next week.

WhoHar @whohar

@phaseshift @craig

Thanks for the help re blog formatting. It’s appreciated.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @htpbdet – just wanted to echo the feelings from everyone here; hope everything goes as well as it can, and that you can get back to good health. Like everyone else, I’ve really enjoyed your posts – they’re personal, considered and informative.

Sorry to everyone else – been avoiding most threads due to spoiler fear, but couldn’t resist the comments thread just now and realise I had misjudged and that things were fine.
    Should’ve kept lurking (though I’m sure my occasional Drolling is never missed! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Now, back to the Music thread and listening to more LCD (thanks @craig)!

@craig or @phaseshift – could someone enable my username to make a blog post? I’d like to post something on The Eleventh Hour. Thanks

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

I think @craig has the power to make you an author. Just posting as a reminder for him as he may have nipped of to bed. Look forward to reading it though.

The Eleventh Hour – The spring eternal, Source of a speculative Nile. I think the episode I’ve watched too many times. Do you really want me to watch it AGAIN?!

@phaseshift. Nope. Actually, part of my post will be riffing off your idea that little Amelia represents us; the Children Who Waited.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

(Sighs in relief)

@craig – make @bluesqueakpip an author!

Only joking. I do like that thought, but haven’t given it that much thought. I think your expansion on it, and a couple of others I’ve seen have done it far more justice. I’d really like to read it.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.