BBC Approved Spoilers

Home Forums General BBC Approved Spoilers

This topic contains 752 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  WhoHar 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 753 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave and @wolfweed

The structural advantage of the TARDIS over a Vortex Manipulator is that you can’t stick a TARDIS in your pocket. 🙂

That is, while the TARDIS can conveniently get you to the place the story is about to happen, it’s big enough that you then have to park it – and all sort of exciting things can happen to stop you getting back to your parking spot. Up to and including the TARDIS deciding ‘Sod this for a game of sailors, I’m off to the South Pole’.

But with a Vortex Manipulator, the thing is strapped to your wrist and can be used as a get out of jail free card at any time. This is why the only Vortex Manipulators that we see in working order don’t belong to full-time cast members. Any Vortex Manipulator that goes near a full-time cast member is never working properly. It has to be repaired, needs a code, will break down as soon as you arrive…

Star Trek had a similar problem with their communicators, and the resulting easy access to the teleport. They usually solved it by hitting William Shatner on the head very hard. Can’t think why. 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Official pic:

sonoque

off

RorySmith @rorysmith

Now I am restricting myself from spoilers this go around. I love the teaser and the lack of episode footage for a change. I want fresh eyes. My coworker that has yet to figure out who Missy is has inspired my need to not know anything. I also see some resemblance in the new screwdriver to a wasp’s body. Maybe another trip to that era? Hmmm

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Trailer at last! Thanks to the wonderful denizen of twitter, @wolfweed!

And what does the trailer reveal? Surprisingly little, actually. Certainly no monsters, and no sign of the Tardis.

I suspect that what we are to be given over the next few weeks/months will be agonizingly contained, like two or three drops of water to a person parched for water in the desert.

Is so, not entirely sure I approve.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Missed one…

What? Anuthier Wun?

@wolfweed and @blenkinsopthebrave

Ooh, actual information! October start, and the TARDIS is part of the team.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave

et al

oooh, I do like that poster. It’s very cool and striking. As to the trailer, yeah, didn’t really give much away. Like Blenkinsop, I suspect we will get a slow drip of teasing details over the summer. Maybe a ‘monster trailer’ nearer the time. I really do hope so. I get what CC is trying to do but that’s two trailers now that have left me a bit ‘meh’. I feel that at least one of those should have left me totally stoked…. but not yet they’ve not.

Whittaker looks likes she’s going to be great though. I’m definitely starting to get that Tennant vibe off her….

@jimthefish

What struck me about the trailer was how low tech the images were. When you think of the Moffat and the RTD years, the visuals (particularly of space ships) were spectacular. There has been none of that in what we have seen so far. It almost seems like a return to running around rock quarries from the very early years.

janetteB @janetteb

I have the feeling that things are very much still in production and that CC doesn’t want to give anything away. He is holding back for a big surprise when the series starts. I just hope it won’t prove to be a let down.

“tis indeed a well designed poster. I don’t think they will ever drop the Tardis. It is so iconic and so good for marketing. I should know. We have numerous model Tardis around the house. (What is the plural of Tardis?)

@blenkinsopthebrave I liked the quarries. they were iconic too. Maybe that is what CC is aiming at for all his talk about delivering a fresh new take, a return to the feel of the show he clearly loved when he was young.

Well only three months to wait and that will fly by. I already have the jelly babies though I fear they may be past their best. Luckily a lolly shop has opened up “down the street” and appears to e thriving so hopefully they will still be about in October as I am certain they will stock English jelly babies.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

@janetteb

I’m assuming that CC won’t want to go full granite quarry on us but going by the trailer I’m not seeing the much-vaunted new, cinematic look. I thought both the RTD and SM eras totally had a cinematic look — the battle at Stonehenge and Demon’s Run leaping to mind — so I’m not seeing that much of a difference so far. Still, early days.

What is clear from the trailer so far is that Whittaker is on track to be a great Doctor, I think. I’m also incredibly relieved by a couple of the clarifications CC made during the SDCC panel….

wolfweed @wolfweed

And now for something deeply serious…

@jimthefish And @blenkinsopthebrave

The thought that’s occurred to me is that they simply haven’t finished all the post production yet. The teaser had post production special effects, the trailer was more hints of the overseas locations they used.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Yeah, that’s undoubtedly true. Still, I’m sure they must have some post done by now. Maybe not.

Still, the new Star Trek trailer had me considerably more stoked than this did…. never thought I’d say that….

If you watch the ComicCon panel Chibnall gives a very clear explanation of why they are not giving anything away.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@pedant

Yeah, I watched it. And as I said above, I can understand that motivation. But at the end of the day, I think it’s the wrong decision. Expecting curiosity about Whittaker to carry all before her is not going to be enough. You need a little bit of wow factor in there too. RTD understood that, and so did The Moff, for that matter.

But as @blenkinsopthebrave says, I suspect we’ll get a few more crumbs of anticipation before October….

wolfweed @wolfweed

syzygy @thane16

@pedant is that at #63665?   -from @wolfweed

wolfweed -thank you as ever.

@janetteb me too. Corridors and quarries. A thing of mine ever since. Particularly long, yellow-ish, slightly dirty corridors. And narrow. Like its people.

Puro and Thane.

syzygy @thane16

@whisht

Good to see you bonkerising with the best! And apologies, you tagged me after I tagged you regarding your birthday & I failed to do so back. I think your QUEST is spot on. I need an acronym for that. And possibly an anagram & an algorithm too.  ((*\*))

@blenkinsopthebrave Greetings from Brisbane where we’ve had (shock, horror & also awe) …..cold weather.

Could, for example, Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor have no memory of the previous cycle of Doctors, for instance?

Oooh that’s great bonkerising too.

@gamergirlavatar That’s a good point. New Who since 2005 (AG) has been resplendent with new music under Murray. Not disputing the new composer’s ideas or what he’s brought to music thus far but I’d add that compared with any other telly Who presented a full score with leitmotifs for all characters. Murray didn’t deviate from this  during his contract & used Romantic era motifs & a Romantic approach unique to the show between 2004-10. Certain scores after that didn’t necessarily re-hash choons from the previous decade with striking contrasts between motifs & their characters despite the musical agenda of AG Who, imo? A new composer is definitely welcome & exciting. All the pieces are in place….

@geoffers. Absolutely. Yes, I’d agree that a less jangly theme & a full throated one would be terrific. If there’s a minimalist ‘realisation’ of the new series (Quarries & Corridors) then the score takes that step instead? It’s lovely how music has a capacity to enlarge what we see. I too like the art-work. It’s different to what I’d anticipated.

And it feels classical, to me…so in times where everything dates so quickly it could hold our attention @jimthefish ? The previous era had circles within circles & CC is investigating, with his art crew, lines & more…..horizontal lines  🙂  indicating a human chronology rather than a Time Lord one, perhaps?

@ichabod <waving to you> Yes, it is heavy on the main theme, isn’t it? And I echo your thanks to @wolfweed for the constant (& necessary) updates in these times of Who-drought as @bluesqueakpip said. Now, Pip, I need to go back to that trailer to ‘see’ all the clues….That’s what’s SO great about Who: it really intensifies the “what if?” question which a lot of telly doesn’t pose (‘let’s make a show quickly; our audiences binge on the entire thing & move on’)

<Time is running out….new series approaching>

Puro.

@thane16

Hi Puro,

Great to hear from you! Cold Brisbane?…almost hard to believe. My memories are very different!

A Doctor without a memory. Why not? I sometime feel that way about my own doctor.

One thing about the new show I am hanging out for (and it is close to what you know) is the music. We have been told about a new composer, but, like everything else, we haven’t been allowed to hear the music.

Could it be as good, say, as the theme music to “Where Eagles Dare”? Well, probably not, as nothing can rise to those Olympian heights.

Oh well, I can always listen to that again while I wait…

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

Ah, yes:  Hordern, Wymark, Eastwood, Burton -and Ronnie Goodwin. And didn’t it get a lot of flak?

Years and years ago we’d teach young teachers how to use drumsticks and a drum pad to this score. This being the early to mid ’90s they had no idea about a movie from 1968 where most of the credits rolled at the beginning of the film with a picture of an aircraft negotiating wind, foreign airspace and snow capped peaks.

Olympia indeed.

Now, that’s a good handle…. (-_-)

On the clues, being a scrabble fan, the word beano can make ‘eon’ and ‘bane’ and ‘base’ from the word beans.

And from basil we get “bails” as in “get out, monsters are coming” and ‘sial’ [rocks forming outer layer of Earth’s crust].  There’s a lot of basil on their pizzas. Or endive. In which case the French are coming (again).

Puro.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: Haven't spelled Mr Blenkinsop's in a long while!
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Now BBC Approved…

Lindalee has spoken so now we all know what to think

Also, it seems there is still two weeks of filming (I’m guessing, but probably just pick-ups now)

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

This is going to be so fantastic! Season 11 looks great, I love everything from the sonic screwdriver to the companions and Jodie is just so brilliant, she is already one of my favorite doctors. The comic con panel told us so much, the trailer could of been better but I’m sure they don’t want to give to much away, especially story details. That’s why the trailer didn’t focus to much on any one episode or story, at least that is how it appears. However the trailer is great, I’m going to look at it again and try to find more clues in it. I feel like there is something I’m missing. The details on the new doctor were great and were what I was hoping for. I can’t wait for everything that is about to happen. Everything looks like it’s coming together so well. That’s all I can really say, somethings we just need to wait and see for what’s going to happen. Till than, this is going to be fun.

Whisht @whisht

trying to bonkerise…. its ok, I’m on wine….

The Doctor is thrown from the Tardis perhaps mid-regeneration.

So, does the new Doctor remember her past generations?
    Has she ‘lost’ the Tardis?

Is this initial series her trying to remember who she is and connecting to the Tardis again?
    Well, the first is maybe typical(?) and I’d love each episode having throw backs (“oooh jelly babies! I love those ! I think? or are they the things I like with custard?”)
    But maybe rather than finding the Tardis, she’s on a mission to save the Tardis (dunno – maybe I’m making too much of those red crystals).

“Who am I and how do I ‘save’ this thing that’s (apparently) so important to me?”

[“Who am I?” pun not initially intended]

I suspect that the Tardis, being a time machine, knows that it can evict the Doctor go away and deal with whatever crisis prompted said eviction and then materialise in plenty of time to catch her, perhaps dropping her in the swimming pool.

wolfweed @wolfweed

“Gone is the daffiness and idiosyncrasy of her predecessors in favour of a Doctor with energy, spark and relatability.”

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/bbc-chief-on-the-new-doctor-who-gone-is-the-daffiness-and-idiosyncrasy-of-her-predecessors

daff

@wolfweed

idiosyncracy versus relatability.

hmmm…not sure what to make of that. I have always felt that a defining feature of the Doctor in all the incarnations from Hartnell to Capaldi was that they were identifiably “alien” rather than “relatable”.

We all remember how unDaffy Tennant’s Doc was.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I kind of thought that daffiness and idiosyncrasy have always been a big part of the Doctor’s essential character — even the more serious ones. And is she really supposed to be ‘relatable’ rather than ‘enigmatic’? She’s called Doctor Who, after all (and that is resoundingly canon now)

I also notice that this utterance has incurred some profound displeasure on the Twittersphere, some from no less a mighty personage than Jo Grant herself…..

syzygy @thane16

@pedant @jimthefish

It reminds me of Moriarty actually -perhaps a very sly reference to Moffat himself (via Chibbers but in a good way).

Moriarty (flash back) final episode of Moff and Gattis’ Sherlock as he hops out of the helicopter and says:

“I’m Big G, down with the kids, I’m relatable that way.”

Thane

Ssh: I’ve promised the High Council I’d be in bed by now.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

I can see Puro the Younger on the airwaves near midnight.

Actually, we had ‘cold’ weather -for 16 hours. Not even a full day of proper cold weather in SE QLD.

I might sashay to the Pub for this

<dashing…..>…..>….>

Puro

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Episode one titled: THE WOMAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

Airdate & ep title official

fall gif

Another teaser

@pedant

OK, the visuals show that it is not just running around rock quarries (which, at the time, I liked  actually) but, oh dear, the musical background is, well…awful…is the word that immediately springs to mind.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@blenkinsopthebrave hmm have we been spoiled by the magnificent Murray Gold’s most excellent musical renditions over the years or is it I’m getting to be an old fuddy-duddy but I agree I hope that teasers music is not going to be the musical tone of Jodie’s tenure as the Doctor don’t get me wrong modern music can be appropriate but the key word is where appropriate.

@blenkinsopthebrave @devilishrobby

Not really to my taste either, but I think the choice is intended to be contemporary and NOT by the new composer, whose creation they are trying to keep as secret as the Tardis design.

Also, glass ceiling getting smashed, innit?

That last bit does seem to have made the Angry Virgins very cross.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@pedant @blenkinsopthebrave et al

Yeah, the music’s terrible. I suspect the remit is to make Who funk and hip with the teens again tho…

But again, a teaser that’s basically not that different from the last one and really left me feeling ‘meh’ once more. I mean, with only four weeks to go, would it kill them to ramp it up a bit now?

@everyone

The song is ‘Glorious’ by Macklemore and Skylar Grey. Can’t say he’s an artist I follow, but in terms of appropriateness, the lyrics include:

You know I’m back like I never left (I never left)
    Another sprint, another step (another step)
    Another day, another breath (another breath)
    Been chasing dreams, but I never slept (I never slept)
    I got a new attitude and a lease on life
    And some peace of mind

I heard you die twice, once when they bury you in the grave
    And the second time is the last time that somebody mentions your name
    So when I leave here on this earth, did I take more than I gave?
    Did I look out for the people or did I do it all for fame?
    Legend, it’s exodus searching for euphoria
    Trudging through the mud to find the present, no ignoring us
    Got 20, 000 deep off in the street like we some warriors
    My mama told me never bow your head, woo!

The crib looking Victorian (oh yes it is)
    You know that we been going in (been going in)
    Since we hopped out that Delorean (Delorean, yeah we win)

(Songwriters: Ben Haggerty / Holly Hafermann / Joshua Karp / Tyler Dopps / Tyler W Andrews
    Glorious lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc)

So I suspect someone picked it for the lyrics, rather than the tune. 🙂

@bluesqueakpip

I applaud your research and I take your point, as I do @pedant‘s point about the shattering of the glass ceiling. But we are still left with the tune! And it is a tune that will certainly appeal to a particular market demographic, but I wonder if that demographic includes me. I assume this is what the BBC suits mean by “relatable”. Nothing about AG Who has ever made me feel old. But this teaser did.

Still, it’s only a teaser. I wait for October. With a slight feeling of trepidation.

@blenkinsopthebrave @jimthefish

Hmmm. Have to agree with @bluesqueakpip on the music.

But also rap/ hip hop and its many variants are major cultural phenomena and have been for the fat end of 25 years now. Dr Dre is 53, P Diddy, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg and 50 Cent are all in their 40s now and even Macklemore is in his mid-30s and Sklar Grey (32) has written for Eminem and a whole bunch of others. They are mainstream.

To ignore that and complain about it is as roughly as rational as complaining about the gender of the lead character in a poplar Sci Fi show. And more than a little ARSEy.

Besides, if they were using it to appeal to the yoof, it would have been Stormzy (although he’s an exception at 25 – most of the Grime scene seem to be in their early 30s).

What say you oh Oracle of Music @thane16 ?

Additional, on target markets:

@pedant

ARSEy? No, I think not.

On the other hand, it might help to understand where I come from if I explain that there was a line in one of the funniest films ever made, “A New Leaf”, starring and directed by the incomparable and brilliant Elaine May, where the manservant says to his fussy and demanding upper class employer (played by Walter Matthau) who has fallen on hard times:

“Sir, in your own lifetime, you have managed to keep alive traditions that were dead before you were even born.”

I have always been inspired by and aspired to that statement.

janetteB @janetteb

In recent years I have found trailers to be really misleading, probably because they are aimed at a “non-fan” demographic in an attempt to widen the viewer base. It reached the point where I found the trailers off putting and so have avoided them because I would start watching the series/Christmas Special with a negative bias. Reading all the above comments I think I’ll give this trailer a miss too despite my curiosity and impatience.

Cheers

Janette

Mudlark @mudlark

The teaser didn’t seem particularly off-putting to me, despite the musical accompaniment. For a variety of reasons I’m not keen on rap and its ilk but, as @bluesqueakpip  has pointed out – and many thanks for providing them, Blue – the lyrics are entirely apt, which was clearly why this particular track was chosen. There is no reason to suppose that it reflects the type of score we will hear in the actual episodes, and if it lures in or reassures a particular audience, then that is all to the good.

As for the rest, tantalising as it is for those who want to something to analyse, the smashing of the glass ceiling* is far from a subtle allusion, but I’ve no quarrel with that; and I found the ‘oops!’ and the way it was delivered a mildly encouraging portent of what is to come. Which isn’t to say that what little the team have divulged so far doesn’t leave me still a little worried that it may be weighted too much on the side of frothy, fast-paced, light hearted romp, with too little ‘meat’ for those of us who relish something to get our teeth into.

*Although the tenth Doctor set the precedent in The End of Time

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 753 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.