BBC Approved Spoilers

Home Forums General BBC Approved Spoilers

This topic contains 568 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Devilishrobby 8 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 551 through 569 (of 569 total)
  • Author
    Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

I had the opurtunity to watch the teaser again but on the TV today rather than on YouTube. For some reason the music didn’t seem quite so jarring for some reason, weather it was the volume seemed lower or I was seeing it on a bigger screen it seemed better.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Most will have seen it by now, but fresh image for the new series released. It’s looking very MCU to me and that’s by no means a bad thing….

janetteB @janetteb

MCU? have not seen that one before. It is certainly a very “busy” image and um, colourful. Heavy use of CGI which is worrying. CGI is great but not when overused. Nice to see the TArdis poking out of a cloud though.

(on the overuse of CGI have been watching some older Sci fi stuff recently and have been observing that when done well, models have a realistic look that CGI is yet to achieve.)

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish and @janetteb

The word that springs to my mind is ‘crystals’.

There’s also a TARDIS hexagon in the upper left (facing) and more TARDIS style hexagons behind the Doctor. The picture seems slightly unbalanced with the left side very ‘busy’, as you say, and the right side clearer and less cluttered. As if the whole picture is spiralling round.

The series tagline is ‘it’s about time’ and the teasers so far have involved time freezing or reversing.

Hmmm. The TARDIS is in the background, as if parked on a cloud, but that cloud could also be a trail of smoke. Reference to the explosion at the end of the last series? Or are they going to make that explosion into something that doesn’t get sorted out by the end of The Woman Who Fell To Earth?

I know we’ve been promised self-contained stories, but I can’t help thinking that Chibnall might have thoroughly absorbed Rule Zero – The Head Writer always lies. 🙂 That is, each episode story might indeed by wrapped up by the episode end, but there’s an undercurrent that leads to the finale, maybe in ‘Bad Wolf’ style.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@janetteb MCU — is geekspeak for the extended universe of the current Marvel films. Am I the only one who thinks that all those coloured crystals positively scream ‘infinity stones’?

@bluesqueakpip — RE. the smoke. That kind of reminds me of the spec fan-made ‘ink’ opening titles that can be found on YouTube and which I thought were really quite cool. I wonder if CC has taken a leaf out of SM’s book and used them as the basis for the new official titles.

With regards to an ongoing plot thread, I suspect it will be likely that there will be something like that in evidence throughout the series….

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish

Given Disney’s proactive attitude to copyright infringement, I doubt that the thought ‘Infinity Stones’ has even crossed Chris Chibnall’s mind. 😈

What’s crossing my mind, however, is ‘Key to Time’.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

I was thinking more in terms of the colour scheme as much as anything. It’ll be interesting to say the least if the MCU has some kind of visual or thematic effect on the new series. Even JW’s costume looks a little bit superhero-ey when you think about it.

But it will certainly be interesting if CC is thinking of doing something with the Key to Time (the first and probably most clunky series arc the show ever did.)

@janetteb

Why on Earth would CGI bother you? Virtually every effect you see post about 2010 is CGI – green screen is the way.

The days one one frame of Treebeard (in LoTR) took 48 hours to render are long gone, so it is much more const effective than was once the case.

Although it might be interesting to try to use some Andy Serkis-style motion capture to push the boundaries of what on-screen aliens cam look like…

janetteB @janetteb

@pedent CGI does not bother me and I did not say I dislike all CGI. Far far from it. I love good well used CGI, It creates infinite possibilities. (indeed one day, I hope, my second son will be employed in the industry) Like all good things however there is excessive use, ie when a scene does not look, “natural”. No immediate examples spring to mind other than movie trailers, which appear to be all CGI, no story or character development. There were times in LOTR when Jackson used CGI to create an effect, Galadrial at the mirror for instance, instead of letting the actor act it out. (there I did recall an example after all.)

Cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

New trailer… same dodgy music, tho I like it better this time…. very 80s vibe to it, I think…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Well, the all the running feels like Who, and it does establish the Doctor with an air of authority. I can tell that it is going to take a while for me to accept the music, though. We did get (I assume) a couple of shots of the inside of the Tardis (white and pale green), although not the console room. If those shots are of the Tardis interior, they reminded me a bit of the recent movie version of Star Trek’s Enterprise, which I wasn’t expecting.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

I’d be willing to bet that most of that footage comes from the opening episodes and suspect that those interiors might belong to one of those spaceships we’ve seen here. But yeah, they do look very Star Trek, although like I say they definitely gave me an early JNT-era vibe too….

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@jimthefish

Yes, you are probably right. As for JNT feel, I was more struck by the way it consisely telegraphed the relationship of the three companions to the Doctor. If, as you say, the clips are from the early episodes, it seems to indicate a quick and uniform acceptance of the authority of the Doctor. A sort of “Team Who” feel. With previous Doctors there has often been a certain distance prior to acceptance by the companions. Here, the acceptance and recognition of authority seems to come early. A conscious decision, perhaps, to award a female Doctor authority and acceptance in the eyes of the viewers from the get up and go?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Imagine how exciting a trailer for The Dominators would be, if it wasn’t allowed to show Dominators or Quarks…

alienless

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘The Secret in Vault 13’ cover revealed…

vault

vault 13 amazon

wolfweed @wolfweed

Australia’s ‘Unglorious’ version…

Doctor Who – The official trailer is here!

"I’m the Doctor, when people need help, I never refuse." #DoctorWho starts Monday 8th October at 5.45pm or watch it first on iview!

Публикувахте от ABC TV в Четвъртък, 20 септември 2018 г.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Oooh, I like that cover. I do wonder if that was part of the thinking behind the design of JW’s look that it lends itself more to caricature and stylisation than PC’s did (or at least initially)…

Getting to the actual content of the trailer:

Who (or what) was The Doctor bidding an apparently tearful farewell to?

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Hmmm, I see she’s going with a northern accent lol so reinforcing the notion of the Doctor comes from the Gallifreyan “ North” . Is the background music the actual music for the series, it seems more in keeping with past MG style music and not as pop culture orientated that the Beebs British trailers have been indicating. I think I actually prefer the Auzzie version as you can concentrate on the action and what is said better.

Viewing 19 posts - 551 through 569 (of 569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.