BBC Approved Spoilers

Home Forums General BBC Approved Spoilers

This topic contains 494 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  wolfweed 21 hours, 1 minute ago.

Viewing 45 posts - 451 through 495 (of 495 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@rorysmith

Uh, Rory? This was the Children In Need clip. Children In Need is the BBC’s biggest fundraiser, for kids needing help with medical care/social care across the UK, and Doctor Who generally provides them with a really generous, fans-are-begging-for-it clip. Or even films a special scene, specially for them – such as David Tennant’s first scene as the post-regeneration Doctor.

🙂
    [They raised £55 million, btw.]

wolfweed @wolfweed
    JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed — unfortunately Radio Times takes somewhat exception to my adblocker so I won’t be able to actually read the article without a load of faffing around on my whitelist but that’s nice news. He’s the fellow who did the rather splendid ‘rain’ trailer for Capaldi, isn’t he? It’s also a nice reminder that far from being dismissive of fans, as he’s often accused of being, Moffat seems to have gone out of his way to reach out to them, to involve them, to make use of their talent creativity. I hope it’s something that Chibnall also fosters.

As to the CiN clip, as @bluesqueakpip says, it ticks all the boxes, being self-contained enough to be understandable on its own and entertaining enough in its own right to fit into the larger scheme of the charity evening. Personally, I liked it, although it is making me mourn the passing of 12 already. Capaldi is very comfortable in his role here and has totally nailed his Doctor’s look here. I could totally do with another series of him in this ‘midway between Pertwee and Tom Baker’ mould. Bradley is great too, of course. He’s very much got a Hartnell vibe going on (far more than Hurndall managed) and yet he’s bringing something of his own to the party. It’s great that he’s going to continue with the audios, but part of me kind of wants to see full-blown modern reconstructions of all the 60’s shows (with the possible exception of The Gunfighters).

MissRori @missrori

@jimthefish I liked the clip too.

The same day I was listening to the fan podcast Verity! and they were discussing the Twelfth Doctor’s tenure and how he was very rarely seen happy onscreen (save for the final five minutes of THORS), culminating in the ending of “The Doctor Falls”. The women were discussing how they would like this Doctor to have a proper happy ending in “Twice Upon a Time”, something like the ending of “The Big Bang”.

Do you guys think this will be an Everybody Lives adventure after Moffat chose not to make “The Doctor Falls” one (and he certainly could have)?  I’m worried because this is supposed to only be an hour long, and I would think that to have a proper wrapup they’ll need to give over about 5-10 minutes of the story to Twelve’s gloriously happy ending.  Could the storytelling here end up rushed, as happened with “Time of the Doctor”?

janetteB @janetteb

@jimthefish I encountered the same problem.

@missrori An “everybody lives” ending would be a nice wrap up for both Capaldi and for Moffat so it would not surprise me at all if that is how it ends. There will never be enough but one can always replay,, and replay and replay in order to savour the moment. (I have done that before.)

Cheers
    Janette

Habemus Doctorem @habemusdoctorem

From yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05q8mt6/p05q8knb

wolfweed @wolfweed

The trailer’s dropped…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Habemus Doctorem @habemusdoctorem

wolfweed @wolfweed

new logo

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Hmm, not sure I’m loving that. Seems a bit insubstantial for my liking — can’t imagine it looking particularly impressive on book and DVD covers, for example. It’s a bit like the RTD-era logo I suppose but it also reminds a little of the McCoy-era logo and that’s surely not a good thing….

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish

It makes me think of a luxury space cruise! As you say, not sure how well it will function on magazine covers etc.

Time will tell…

new logo details

hero

Wibbly-Wobbly @wibbly-wobbly

Hello! I am new on here and love all things Doctor Who! I just want to say I absolutely love the new logo and can’t wait for Jodie Whittaker’s first season!

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Nice to meet you @wibbly-wobbly. It’s nice to have you join the blog. I like the new logo as well and I can’t wait for Jodie’s first season.

janetteB @janetteb

Welcome @wibbly-wobbly good name. Oh how often do we quote those words..
    I am also rather enthused about the new logo. It think the colour scheme is what won me over. Won’t be so easy to 3d print though.
    Cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

Hello @wibbly-wobbly  and welcome!  I like the new logo too and I am very excited about the new series and the new Doctor.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Actually it doesn’t look as bad on the page as I might have thought (although this is obviously just a mock-up from someone on Twitter) but it still doesn’t have quite the impact as the Moffatt-era one.

Still, it’s growing on me…

geoffers @geoffers

i really like the simplistic approach in that wallpaper image. it’s very graphic novel-ish, almost anime-ish, which should appeal to the younger generations,  and gamers. i don’t fancy anime, myself, so i’m glad the show isn’t animated…

…as far as we know?! haha

but the emphasis on the time lord/lady and the tardis is quite striking. that silhouette could even look good as a tattoo…

i just hope they do a full version of the theme song that’s closer to the one(s) we’ve come to love, and not so minimalist as the theme in that teaser. it took me almost all of series 8 to get used to capaldi’s jangly variation, and i don’t want to have to work so hard again! 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    winston @winston

@wolfweed    Nice!

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Season 12 Blu Ray collection with new extras out on June 11th

twelv

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed et al

I did the traditional Whovian thing of immediately finding out all I could – he’s more classically trained than Murray Gold, with a First from Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. He’s got quite a bit of experience in scoring documentaries and drama-docs, and it looks like he’s been working on scoring short films to get experience in film/drama scoring.

By the look of it, this is his first high-profile drama. It looks like Chibbers has picked someone who is hopefully on the verge of making his big breakthrough, rather than going with someone who was as established as Murray Gold was in 2005.

For those who want to judge his music for themselves, streaming is available on https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola

ichabod @ichabod

@wolfweed  Thanks for the link!  Some interesting music — gotta scroll down a bit, though, to get past the first set (African mountains), which are very heavy on the single main theme, IMO.  The bits of score everything below that are much more varied.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@bluesqueakpip Thanks for the information on the new composer, I wasn’t able to find all those facts online. I’ll have to listen to his work but I do have a good feeling about what he’ll bring to the music of the show. It’s also nice to have a fresh take on the music, but I find it confusing that in Jodie’s first scene we hear a piece of music last used when Tennant was The Doctor. I think Akinola will bring a fresh take to the music, something we haven’t had in New Who yet, but Jodie had such a presence in her first moment and the old music made that moment seem so magical. I can’t wait to see how a new musical tone will compliment her doctor, but I do wonder how will have such a great affect as that first moment. It’s a mystery and it will have a great answer. Also, welcome Segun! I love new people and new faces, I wish him the best of luck and I know he will be the best composer for a new and grand era of Doctor Who.

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Thanks, @wolfweed!

Well, that was…short.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Best. Domino’s. Ad. Ever.

Rather underwhelmed by that but it is only a teaser. Hope they pull something a bit more impressive out of the hat at SDCC.

Cheers for posting so promptly though.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave   @jimthefish

Many fans are really p*ssed off. But a ‘trailer’ wasn’t promised. Always read the small print, folks…

Meanwhile, in San Diego…

@wolfweed

It just seems such a looonnng time that we’ve had to wait. 🙂

Agree with @blenkinsopthebrave, but –

All three Companions are eating.
    In each case, time reverses itself.
    It may be a specially made teaser, but it seems to be set after the three of them have met the Doctor. At least, none of them are completely freaked out by the time reversal.

@bluesqueakpip

Agree. As I watch it, (the pattern of the glasses shaking, the lights, the ever-so-brief glimpse of the Doctor passing, and the the look of recognition(?) on each of the companions) I am wondering if it is meant as a signature card calling the companions…somewhat similar to the card that Steed left for Emma at the start of each episode: “Mrs Peel, we’re needed”

@blenkinsopthebrave

Yes, could be.

I’d add that if it’s a specially made teaser, it’s been filmed on three sets – and they’ve included quite a few background artists, as well. So that suggests it IS genuinely teasing something about the upcoming series; either, as you suggest, it’s a ‘Mrs Peel, we’re needed’ montage that may appear in the final series, or it’s a clue to the theme of the series.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip   @blenkinsopthebrave

Is the Doctor using a Vortex Manipulator?

drinksnatcher

This is Sheffield news for a Sheffield newspaper…

sheff

While the ARSE has been mighty on Twitter, the ZOMG!!! SO EXCITED!! GIVE ME MOAR MOAR MOAR!!!! is conspicuously mightier.

Also, we are going to see this stinger A LOT:

janetteB @janetteb

Well having watched that I certainly wanted to see more which is the whole point of a teaser.

thanks for putting it up so quickly @wolfweed Knew you wouldn’t let us down. 🙂

Cheers

Janette

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Here’s Dan Martin’s “Review” from the auld country…https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jul/16/what-did-the-doctor-who-trailer-tell-us

wolfweed @wolfweed

Well, I woke up this morning, to another dearth of information about the upcoming iteration, and decided that I should nonetheless not deny myself the opportunity to bonkerise.

The best I could find by way of information (a notch above zero) was:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-07-16/doctor-who-series-11-monsters-all-new-chris-chibnall-jodie-whittaker/

I then started to wonder if something could be made of the very absence of information. Could Chibnall be preparing to give us a quite radical re-envisioning of the show?

“You don’t need to know anything that’s come before.”

What might this mean in practice? When the third Doctor was expelled from the Tardis in 1970 we had a Tardis-free show for a while. Jodie Whittaker’s first appearance is to be expelled from an exploding Tardis. Could they…? Probably not. But, could they deviate from the established practice of presenting a new Doctor and a new Tardis interior in a joint makeover which stays true to the original template? Well, maybe they could.

After all, why are we being given so little information and so few images…? And how does it relate to the line: “You don’t need to know anything that’s come before”?

Given that they went to so much trouble to break free of the established “12 Doctors life-cycle” in order to give us a 13th Doctor, could this mean a quite radical break from the past? Could, for example, Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor have no memory of the previous cycle of Doctors, for instance?

Or, something…?

Time for a second cup of coffee.

wolfweed @wolfweed

So the Sheffield Advertiser used to be a real thing. Guess it wasn’t discontinued in the Who Universe…

shef

shef 2

Viewing 45 posts - 451 through 495 (of 495 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.