On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

You can watch it here… but was mostly a book promotion.

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed – ID parade – still laughing at that one ::scrambles back on to the sofa, wipes tears away::

(@Shazzbot ::sticks out tongue:: You want a thigh gap?? Check out that Yeti 😉  )

Not sure about the last one – Phaseshift..?

PS Your lawyers will also be hearing from mine about the state of my keyboard after the above, and the naked Capaldi comment on the other thread! You are priceless 😀

@blenkinsopthebrave

Indeed, I think there will probably be a few surprises when all of you meet each other in the pub, and discover the faces behind the avatars.

I have no idea what you mean!!

(Though I do have a mental picture of a load of crumblies on (tardis-coloured) zimmers trundling round and round the pub asking if anyone’s seen Ming the Merciless)

Speaking of the booze-up at the pub, perhaps small photos of the avatars of those of us unable to attend due to our locations in far-flung colonies could be printed out and propped up on the table so that we were there with you, in spirit (and spirits), as it were.

That’s a great idea. I’d be happy to take it on, but I’d need to get bigger versions or they’ll look a bit blurry or extremely tiny. If people want to preserve email privacy and if @craig‘s up for it – anyone that wants an avatar rep at the pub meet-up to send as large a file as they can muster of their avatar (I’m talking megabytes not gigabytes, mind) to Craig’s email, he can forward them on to me. I’ll find some suitable stands to present them in.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave @scaryb

I think it’s a great idea too. Yes, email them to me. As admin I know everyone’s email address, so sending them to me would not be revealing anything I don’t already know.

Anonymous @

@scaryb

(@Shazzbot ::sticks out tongue:: You want a thigh gap?? Check out that Yeti)

Yes, your Yeti has an admirable thigh gap.  😉

I do have a mental picture of a load of crumblies on (tardis-coloured) zimmers trundling round and round the pub

heh heh heh.  Now it’s my mental picture, too!

That’s a great idea about having avatars for people sadly not able to attend, ‘with us’ at the pub in two weeks.  I hope people do send them to Craig and that you’re able to source some suitable stands.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – another Caption Competition possibility?  From HIGNFY last night.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – Thanks. I think I’ll keep that one for a later date.

The next Crazy Captions will be the 40th, so I want something ‘special’.

This story is a few months old. Looks like they Photoshopped out the tow rope.

HIGNFY’s headline for the image was something like ‘ Dr Who chase scenes not as good as they used to be…’

HIGNFY viewers will have noticed Capaldi with Dalek head adornment in the show.

The headline on his forehead reads: ‘Embrace the selfie’.
    z

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

I forgot to introduce myself earlier, hello I’m The Krynoid Man.

Anonymous @

Hello @thekrynoidman and thank you for coming ashore here on our Sofa thread.  Your sentiments about our late friend were well appreciated.  So, you’ve have a look around our site.  Have ye any bonkers theories yourself?  (No pressure, mind.  Appreciation of bonkers theories is most important … 🙂  ).

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@shazzbot I’m a member on another Doctor Who forum and I’ve posted my theories there already so I haven’t got any at the moment.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish – another exquisite drawing for the Home Page.  Hat-tip to you, our talented friend.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Dear friends,

I am late (or am I early?). Please forgive me.

I am so sad to hear @htpbdet is no longer on this plane of existence with us, and damn it is just not fair <shakes fist at universe> that he didn’t get to see the 50th nor we to enjoy his spiffy comments on it.

@scaryb ‘s image of him off on his travels in a certain blue box was quite lovely and @pedant ‘s description of him as “a true romantic” was absolutely how he appeared to me.

I had the pleasure of arguing with him on a number of occasions both here and on The Graun 🙂

His insistence that Ten’s feelings for Rose were entirely platonic was quite maddening :-).

His encyclopaedic knowledge of Who was just awe-inspiring.

I could tell that he would be fabulous, flamboyant, gossipy, grouchy and erudite company.

His willingness to share some of his autobiography with us; looking at the stars in shared wonder and grief with his grandmother, his proposal from the wonderful McShe in full Leela regalia (I was tremendously envious of that), the terrible loss of her and his daughters after a night in with his son and beloved Who… these were tremendously affecting.

For so many of us, as for him, Doctor Who has abiding emotional meaning; a wondrous space of adventure we’ve voyaged in alongside the hard times of this particular bubble universe.

@htpbdet was an original child of the Doctor, having fallen in love with the show from the very start, and so in these, the end and beginning times of Doctor Who, it was a pleasure to reflect on time, history, memory and imagination in his company; to share a little of the scar tissue of his journey through the universe, from 1963 to now.

He was the Grandfather Time of our Whoniverse.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – that was a lovely tribute.  We shall certainly be raising a glass (or two, or three) to @htpbdet at our drinks party in two weeks.  Looking forward to meeting you and Mr JFish …

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

::waves and bounces excitedly up and down on the sofa::

Late or early? I’d say you’re more timeywimey 🙂

Beautiful writeup for HTPBDET – you made me have to reach for the hankies again 😥

Hope you’ve managed to organise a bubble universe/timeloop for yourself for the next 2 weeks so we can get the benefit of your fishy musings 😉

Especially since the dopplegangers/dark Doctor plotlines are suddenly in the spotlight.  And I’m sure I spotted a watery portal halfway thro the second trailer (the long one) that Matt throws his fez into.

😀

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Waves at @Shazzbot and @scaryb .

Yes, absolutely @ScaryB , I shall go and take a look at those trailers both in red-shift and blue-shift 🙂

Congrats to @craig on starting to receive PR materials! (re the Gaiman promo from Puffin). You have truly arrived as a Master of this universe.

Two weeks to go? How has this happened?

I owe @phaseshift a cocktail recipe.  How about “The Great Green Vampire”, in honour of our mutual 4th Doctor – chilled champagne with a topping of absinthe!  Good for a toast to @htpbdet as I know he was fond of champagne.

And ha, re the trailers, I knew we were getting the Time War!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Inspired by @wolfweed‘s “blinovitchism”, I suspect that the intellectual trajectory of some of the regulars on this site (particularly the ones whose Who memories go back to the 60s and 70s) might–from undergradate days to the present–might go along the following lines:

Marxism-Poststructuralism-Postmodernism-Blinovitchism.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Many thanks for the recipe! Champagne eh? A high maintenance fish. If you could confirm your favoured proportions, I shall add it to the list. Just Eleven now, which I’m working on. Hic.

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘The Revolution Will Be Televised’ has a joke about the BBC & Dr Who. Watch it @00.30 on BBC Three.
    z

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – per your luncheon reconnoitering of the Dean Swift

They’ve just got back to me, and confirmed that we can have the upstairs dining room.  Yippee!

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed – sorry, meant to post this for you ages ago – report from Stripped (Edin Book Festival comics bit)

https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/the-festival/stripped

There’s links to interviews (inc Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman), blogs, videos, all sorts of good stuff. Only snag is… it’s all over for this year 🙁

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – tell your lawyers one keyboard replacement looks like carelessness, but two … ?   😆

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed – I’m sorry, but that’s terrible partyware. The speech bubble should at least contain ‘Run!’. Then there’s the Cybermen and Daleks, who look like refugees from ‘Dalek Babies’ and CyberRugRats.

The Christmas tree ornaments look much better.

::pause::

I can’t believe I just commented on the authenticity of a paper napkin…

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – ha ha ha ha ha!

It’s the feverish pre-50th excitement.  Your detail-noticing skills are in full flow.  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip – I think that Dr Who Partyware should ‘Scare the little buggers to death’.
    z

Can’t wait for the first series of CyberRugRats, though…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish @Shazzbot

Further to recent John Donne mentions, came across this, in today’s Graun – there’s a virtual reconstruction of the St Paul’s Cross pulpit – not just the buildings, but they’ve calculated what the acoustics would be like for people listening, to produce a vid which gives you the virtual experience of being there while Donne delivers his sermon.

(Who says this place isn’t educational, LOL!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-vault-itunes-download/

z

Blinovitchism: ‘Don’t touch the baby -That’s a Paradox!’

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – Sleeping Beauty with a TARDIS? Sounds like a winner to me.

z

This is months old now but just been posted to youtube.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Being Scottish, this guy requires subtitles!!! 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

Have we done this yet? Real physicists doing important stuff (or Those Cornell dudes have WAY too much time on their hands)

Traversable Achronal Retrograde Domains In Spacetime

And this is really cool:

Lay reader’s version

And this is just for LOLs

@pedant – the link’s been published before – I think in @jimthefish‘s Science and Doctor Who Blog.

By the way, while your current search for a new avatar is very entertaining, I think your original ‘fish’ always looked appropriately annoyed at looking fish-like. 🙂

@bluesqueakpip

Sadly I trashed the original absent-mindedly. The previous one was cobbled together in 10 mins. This one came following the exchange with @Shazzbot courtesy of Google Translate. Google kept trying to help me out with idiom – hopefully I’ve got it literal enough to confuse @timeloop (and give a nice flashback to those who remember the original badges). I think it look suitable homebrew (the very original pre-remembrance-poppy one, of course, was spoofing those fish signs that Christians sometimes put on their cars)

@pedant
    I think you’ve said you don’t want to be a thing tasting of fish, but it’s my brother who speaks German – so you’d really have to ask @timeloop.

Timeloop @timeloop

@pedant Actually there is a typo. It should say fischige Sache. Why would that confuse me? Why do you want to confuse me? To which badges are you referring?

Cheers,

Timeloop

P.S: not confused.

ScaryB @scaryb

Like how lots of avatars are regenerating/sprucing up in advance of the 50th, but unlike @timeloop it’s confusing the hell out of me! 😉

@pedant – shame your original was lost but I’m intrigued by your multiple new personalities!

@bluesqueakpip Miss your old one but who couldn’t like a cute hamster and a little blue squeak?

@scaryb – I may revert to the old one post-50th. This one’s my party frock. 🙂

@timeloop @bluesqueakpip

I was aiming for an excessively literal translation of the idiomatic “Fishy business” but Google knew I was using idiom and kept trying to help me, which was really unhelpful. Also, according to Timeloop, Google can’t spell!

This is the inspiration, for those of us of a certain age. They used to be available in any language, but by far the most popular was the German.

My original avatar (and name obv) was inspired by the number of fish-based handles in the earlier days (@Juniperfish, @branfish, @jimthefish, @haveyoufedthefish etc) and the vaguely cultish feel it it had (“The Fish Clan”) – hence the relgion-spoofing original. But you will also see why the new version had to be literal, rather than idiomatically sensible (hence the desire to ‘confuse’ @timeloop).

Wish I could find the right font. Kerning on a bezier curve is a bitch!

wolfweed @wolfweed

A thank you from Czech and Slovak Whovians to Matt Smith.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant If you do a Google image search for IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan Google still has your old avatar cached, if you want it back for later use.

@craig

Ta!

Magnetite @magnetite

If you do a Google image search as @craig suggests, it’s amazing what (or who) else turns up!

Anonymous @

Ooooh, @magnetite – you’re right!  I did a Google Image Search on ‘Shazzbot’ and got lotsa other images / avatars from this very forum.  But I think this image is my favourite ‘Shazzbot’ (@chickenelly, eat your heart out over the pipe!  😆 )

Anonymous @

@magnetite @Shazzbot – My username brings up The Bloodhound Gang’s ‘Hefty Fine’ cover and a number of images too rude to show 🙂

Timeloop @timeloop

@pedant I see you fixed it. Why German though?

And honestly the first thing I came up with were those badges you linked. I thought you wouldn’t know them.  But I don’t think “for those of us of a certain age” applies, since I am 23 and know them. They were quite popular in all shapes and forms after Fukushima and that kind of movement finally enabled a law to shut down every single atomic power plant in Germany by 2022.

According to Wikipedia you call it a “Nuclear power phase-out”.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Don’t know what we’re supposed to do tomorrow, as Greatest Monsters & Villains Weekend clashes with Children in Need…

z

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox – well and truly got me.  Not drinking coffee, but tonight’s tipple of choice has done a Jackson Pollack all over my laptop screen.

🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.