On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    Timeloop @timeloop

@Shazzbot @fatmaninabox You should stop that. 😀 Though it is always very funny with your wee and different beverages all over your screen, think of your poor laptops. How much more liquid can they take before your pictures cause a short circuit? 😀

Anonymous @

@timeloop

Will no-one think of the poor laptops?!

Timeloop @timeloop

@Shazzbot Weren’t you offline for weeks when you were waiting for a new one? 😉 Was just a spoof, don’t take it seriously ;D

wolfweed @wolfweed

Tomorrow @7pm on BBC 1 – Children in Need, feat. Dr Who

Tomorrow @7.05pm on BBC 3 – Greatest Monsters & Villains Weekend

z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

<shakes fist at BBC>

On the bright(ish) side, Children in Need usually show Doctor related sketches during the first hour so we can watch most of Monsters and Villains.

Anonymous @

Ahhhh @timeloop – not weeks, thank goodness, but good on you for remembering my Milky Tea Incident.

Let this be a warning to everyone … Back It Up.

No, really, Back Your Computer Up.

Right now.

Really, RIGHT NOWNOT next week, ‘sometime’, NOT in a ‘few days’.  DO IT.  NOW.

Because you’re one spilt-tea/coffee away from Calamity / Armageddon.  Jus’ sayin’.  😆

@timeloop

I also put it all caps, as it should have been,

I wanted non-English (after the banter with @Shazzbot), and when I thought of the style I recalled that in MY generation, the German was by far the most popular. “Atomkraft? Nein danke!”

At it was always “Nuclear power,? No Thanks!” in English. Just checked my 1970s original…

Yet another thing where Wikipedia can’t grasp the concept of a world before Google.

Oh, what the fuck. Any excuse. Very, very few pieces of electronic music stand the test of time as well as the original Doctor Who theme, but there is one that nearly cuts and is German to the core. Enjoy the full 22 mins:

DrSmith @drsmith

Hello @craig I’m back! Don’t worry I’ll only be The Watcher expect for a few theories when big questions are asked like Hurt.

So I have 3 theories on River Song’s Sonic Screwdriver. First he could of created a loop. He could of kept it until their last meet and gave it to her for when sends her off to The Library(sorry I can’t remember the name) when he gave it to Doc #10 who then kept it untill…….

Second off The Eleventh Doctor could have use the TARDIS to jump back to The Eleventh Hour and grab the Sonic or in Smith ad Joans when Doc #10 used it to amplify the xrays to kill the biker; and when he had it put it in the TARDIS where Doc #11’s sonic to “fix” it when it emerged The Doctor reconized it as the one River had in Silence in the Library and Forest of The Dead I like The Eleventh Hour idea more because it would explain the green spots being all over not just around the top.

Third: What if Hurt was the one to change the Sonic to Doc #9’s but he used gold and red (similar to The Third, Seventh, and Eight Doctor’s Emitters) but grabbed Doc #10’s Sonic and held them together similar to partners in crime slowly pushing them forward (like two magnets) where they fuse together which results in the red setting gold color yhe neuro relay would come from the exstra emitter and the dampers and translusent liquid ring from exstra metal and others materials from Tennant’s and since Eccleston is after Hurt he would know to get the sonic (I’m guessing similar to how he got a new one at the end of Smith and Joans)

Those are my three theories I like the second the most what do you guys think oh and @craig I was just referencing what Doc #11 says to @craig in the 12th episode of season 6.

DenValdron @denvaldron

Hello all!  Anyone remember me?  The guy with wacky theories to incorporate the Cushing Doctor into continuity?   Sorry, I’ve been really busy with work, been wanting to get back here with more wacky theories about Cushing, Curse of Fatal Death, Scream of the Shalka and the nature of the Great Intelligence.   Hmmm.  And I should go back and really fix up my Cushing article…. and submit it in some proper place.

Looking forward like crazy to the Day of the Doctor.  Seriously enjoyed the Night of the Doctor.  Anyway, looking forward to getting involved in discussions.  😀

WhoHar @whohar

@scaryb @Shazzbot

Thigh Gap

The 1st wife of a friend of mine had a terrific pair of legs. Her thigh gap was notorious, mainly because she liked filling it with other men.

Anonymous @

@denvaldron – I, and I’m sure many others, remember your detailed posts about the Cushing Doctor.  I think I suggested you contact Craig about maybe setting up a blog so all Cushing comments and conversation could be in one place, rather than spread out over a Forum topic.

Nice to see you back, and we’ll hopefully see you on the Prequel blog and other places soon …

Anonymous @

@whohar – ba-dum-bum—tish!  🙂

DrSmith @drsmith

Or to go along with my last post if Romana would make a return should could have modified her Sonic Screwdriver and remembering it from his 1oth incarnation so he trades them.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@denvaldron – You might like my comic blog which has a couple of Cushing-y mentions…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z

I generally hate this sort of click-bait list but…well, you’ll know when you get there

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.starnow.co.uk/Casting-Calls/Actors-wanted/Music-videos/ListingDetail.aspx?l_id=518646

Filming a music video with the theme of Doctor who.

Dr who companion for the 8th Doctor who type.
    Must be able to run. Willing to travel across the city from one location to another.

Females, aged 25 to 38 from London, United Kingdom

WhoHar @whohar

@Shazzbot @scaryb

ba-dum-bum—tish! 

Tough crowd. :O

wolfweed @wolfweed

Someone on twitter has finally noticed that the #SaveTheDay TARDIS hasn’t grown for about 4 days…

Martin Of Rassilon ‏@IAmTheValeyard 25m
    wondering why the #SaveTheDay TARDIS hasn’t grown in about 4/5 days @bbcdoctorwho
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Collapse
    3:34 AM – 16 Nov 13 · Details

Whooovian ‏@Whoovian_ 1m
    @bbcdoctorwho whats wrong with the #SaveTheDay tardis? It’s been stuck like that for days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Collapse
    3:46 AM – 16 Nov 13 · Details
    z

So what is going on? Tweets after Night of the Dr & the CIN clip have been more than plentiful…..

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Just to let everyone know, I’ve asked @wolfweed and @bluesqueakpip to continue being our point people on any further promotional clips and potential prequels. They’ve kindly agreed to add any additiona to their existing blogs so conversations can be kept in a limited number of places.

Cheers All.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Last night’s Dr Who & the Daleks had me in stitches a couple of times.
    First, Susan returns from her drugs score & tells the others (I’m paraphrasing)-
    ‘Alydon is the most perfectly proportioned man I’ve ever seen. I’ll have a private chat about it with you later if you’d like, Barbara?’
    ‘Mmm yes, I think I’d like that, Susan.’

The other bit that got me was along the lines of:
    Ian: ‘I didn’t have a cigarette on me, so I had no choice but to go & save the Thals…’

z

ScaryB @scaryb

Just a quick drop-in to the sofa to say that I am beyond excited about the rest of this week. (And not least because it looks like Moffat is going to knock the “haters” into a cocked hat by producing something that is going to blow minds all over the place with something of real quality. (They’ll still hate it, but they’ll be left speechless and spluttering)). It feels like the culmination of a whole year of Doctor Who, much of which is due to this Forum. Without it I might very well have given in to latent ARSEness and would certainly have missed 6 months of amazing speculation (on topic and thro all the various highways, byways and alternate universes). So a big thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed (or just lurked) in this great little space. You all make it what it is.

Particular thanks to – @craig for setting it up and continuing to maintain it (with loyal support from trusty fellow mods @phaseshift, @jimthefish and @Shazzbot ); I’m sure troll-splatting etc gets to be a pain in the arse sometimes, even if it has its fun moments.

Also to @Shazzbot for organising the pub meet-up this Friday 😀

And to @bluesqueakpip (love the party dress!) and @jimthefish for discussions on ARSEness – I got a lot out of my system and have a whole new appreciation for how to accommodate bonkers theorising into what happens on screen. Honorable mention to @htpbdet for teaching me how to find the fun in retconning. (I can even happily accomodate the Cushing Doctor, haha)

@wolfweed – you are indeed the google-king of links

wolfweed @wolfweed

Tweet:

Thomas Bracken ‏@TomInTheTARDIS 8m

Can somebody please hack the 1D Day live stream so that One Directions faces are replaced with Daleks #TheDayOfTheDoctor #SaveTheDay
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – that’s very funny.  😀   Indeed the right direction for 1D.

I’ve been meaning to ask you, what were you talking about with Dr Who & The Daleks?  Was that something on the radio, or TV?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – Radio – You’ve still got 6 days to listen to ‘The Daleks’ (It’s 5 hours long, mind).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009szrh/episodes/player
    z

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed – ha! that’s funny.  Tho you have to hand it to 1D for a well planned and executed PR hijacking of Who fans. I’d never have known they had a day if they hadn’t splattered it all over the Doctor Who youtube clips.  The best revenge is served up cold tho – and the cold facts are that Dr Who’s CiN trailer has over 400,000 views, 1D has 95,000.   (NotD has over 2m and the 40 sec trailer’s over 4m)

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@scaryb – they announced it on the 2nd October – so ‘hijacking’ is quite possibly exactly what they planned.

CraigNixon @craignixon

Did I miss something with The Twonkfaces?

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip – Undoubtedly

@craignixon – Nothing important 😉

My comment was more of a moan that the new YouTube comments format, with nesting, actively encourages trolling and gives it prominence. (Which no doubt works for YT by increasing the click rate).

OTOH, just ignore the comments threads* (and esp on the trailers, NotD etc  this week – the spoiler trolls are lurking!)  And enjoy this little blast from the past (and it’s worth watching all of it 😉  ) (Tennant looking remarkably comfortable in drag in Rab C Nesbitt clip) –

*makes mental note – must take own advice more often

Anonymous @

Just to echo the sentiments of @scaryb. This site has made the anniversary year all that more enjoyable and it’s been a real privilege to spend so much time in the company of you fine people… @craig is to be congratulated on creating this unique little corner of the interwebs….

I have to say that now we are deep in the anniversary celebrations, I’m inclined to retract much of my previous ARSE. So far, I’ve been really impressed with the anniversary content and don’t think that the Beeb could have done better. It would have been nice if they’d released the ‘all Doctors’ trailer a bit earlier or had a bit more in the way of new episodes but I can understand why these things didn’t happen. But what they have given us has been first-class and offered up with thought and love, I think. And unless The Day of the Doctor turns out to be total pants and I really don’t see how it could be then I think they’ve given the Doc a pretty damn good 50th….

wolfweed @wolfweed

Nice to hear ‘Carmen’ in ‘Protect & Survive’ last night.
    z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Working from home for a bit of this week, so I’m indulging in listening to the audio stuff I managed to record. I’m keeping the audio reading of Doctor Who and the Daleks as a “book at bedtime” option for the future, but I’m listening to Protect and Survive.

First couple of episodes were Doctor lite (it’s McCoy!) but actually a bit haunting, with some good use of extracts from those “in case of nuclear attack” public information films. God – memories of those always send a shiver down the spine. What a mad period.

Episode 3, and McCoys back in the game. If anyone wants to listen, it’s available on i-player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007jxx3/Doctor_Who_Protect_and_Survive_Episode_1/

thommck @thommck

I’ve decided I’m going to not watch any more clips/teasers from TDoTD. I’ve whetted my appetite with a few treats but don’t want to spoil my appetite for this Saturday. I missed all the weekend stuff (CiN) but I’m resisting the links on here.

I was away for a weekend break in the city of Bath for my 13th wedding anniversary. My wife banned me from talking Doctor Who, even though she couldn’t help bringing the subject up a couple of times!

I’d really recommend it as a place to visit, it would make a great setting for a Doctor Who episode (if it hasn’t already).

One thing I had to share was some photos of the Thermae Spa “aroma steam rooms” (not my own, these are from their site!). Remind you of anywhere?

Roundels
    Central column

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

A voice of reason from the otherwise lukewarm-on-Who Canadian colonies:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/arts-video/chris-hannay-doctor-who/article15467639/

Sorry, @pedant, but I do not know how to lose the advertisement at the beginning.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24991046

Jammie Dodger firm Burton’s Foods sold for £350m

z

A-Dub @a-dub

just wanted say I think bbc have done a good job of plugging TDoTD, but um now ready!! I don’t wanna wait anymore, ive had this Saturday planned now for over a month. The last 4 epps few beers pizza then TDoTD (some may say sad but its gonna make me smile lol) anyone else any plans of turning it in to a whole evening??

A-Dub

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

This fact was brought up in today’s Radio Times…

Even though the first on-screen mention of Gallifrey was in The Time Warrior, broadcast in December 1973, the word appeared in TV Action #126, put out for the week ending 14 July 1973. There, in the letters column, the editors responded to a question from Simon Still of Kent who asked where the Master came from. The answer? “The Master’s home planet was called ‘Gallifrey’.” This probably doesn’t mean, however, that Polystyle gets the credit for “Gallifrey”. Since shooting on Warrior wrapped on 12 June 1973, and the scripts had been completed earlier that spring, the likelihood is not that the TV Action originated the name, but that they were given it by the Doctor Who production office.

Just a word of warning: Walmart is planing to build an army of cybermen. The evidence is conclusive.

DenValdron @denvaldron

Poking around online, I ran across Downtime.   Has anyone seen it?  Basically, I was getting my ex-wife, a huge Doctor Who fan, all five seasons of the Sarah Jane adventures, so I was poking around online for Elizabeth Sladen stuff and ran across this.

It’s not an official BBC production, rather, it comes from Reeltime Pictures, which started out making fan documentaries about Doctor Who, notably the mythmakers series.

It stars Nicholas Courtney, playing the role of the Brigadier Lethridge-Stewart,  Elizabeth Sladen playing Sarah Jane,  Deborah Watling playing Victoria Waterfield (a Troughton companion), and Jack Watling, reprising his Professor Travers role from Troughton’s Web of Feat.

Also featuring in the story are the Great Intelligence (Abominable Snowman, Web of Fear in the old series,  Snowmen, Name of the Doctor and Bells of St. John ), and the Yeti (Abominable Snowman, Web of Fear and Five Doctors).

It’s written by Marc Platt, who also wrote the McCoy serial Ghostlight, and directed by Christopher Barry, who had directed Doctor Who serials starting with the Daleks in 1963 and Brain of Morbius and Creature From the Pit in 1976 and 1979.

This is one of only two non-BBC productions to be Novelized by Virgin Books as part of their Doctor Who, Missing Adventures series.

Finally, it introduced the character of Kate Lethridge-Stuart, who was the main protagonist in a follow up Reeltime Video –  Deamos Rising, and who, astonishingly,  has been adopted into the new Doctor Who series, in the episode Power of Three.

I’m trying to decide whether to see if I can track down a DVD to add to the Sarah Jane Christmas.    So if anyone has any recommendations or ideas, let me know.

In the meantime, I’m struck by the inclusion of the Brigadiers daughter Kate, in the new series canon.   What’s that?  Retro-Canon?  They went out, grabbed something that was unofficial, and have made it official now?   Does this have the effect of incorporating Downtime Retroactively as part of the Doctor Who Canon/Continuity?

I’ve been wondering a bit about this stuff because its also come up in Night of the Doctor.  The McGann Doctor names all of his companions from his audio adventures.   Is that retro-continuity too?   Does the explicit reference to the Audio Companions mean that the 8th Doctor’s Audio Adventures are now part of the canon?

If so, then it means that the question of what is and is not  “Doctor Who” canon/continuity has certainly become more interesting.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@denvaldron

You can watch Downtime here

z

Can’t find a copyof the DVD for sale online and the VHS is going for silly money:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downtime-VHS-Nicholas-Courtney/dp/B00004CRJH/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1384948544&sr=1-1&keywords=downtime

Loving the phrase ‘Retro-Continuity’. My view is that canon’s what you make it……..

@wolfweed

Loving the phrase ‘Retro-Continuity’. My view is that canon’s what you make it……..

The usual term is “Retcon”, meaning that, while the facts remain the same our understanding of them changes.

Prior to the reboot, the BBC always considered the audio-advetures as canon (but then did not oblige RTD to follow it) so it would probably be more accurate to say that Eight’s crew has been “Grandfathered in”.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I managed to listen to Fanfare for the Common Men this afternoon (while officially having my nose hard to the grindstone). It was fun enough, but has enough flaws to slightly puncture those few fans who insist that Big Finish is universally great, and somehow true Doctor Who.

It takes a throwaway concept from the very first episode (Susans favourite band were “John Smith and the Common Men”) and weaves it into a tale of time change, with the Common Men taking the place of the Beatles as the Fifth Doctor takes Nyssa to Earth for a bit of cultural eduction. A fun guest star in long time fan and comedy muso Mitch Benn, and the usual good turn from Davison, but the allegory of fame turning you into a monster was a little overdone. It reminds my of some of some of the more comedic New Adventures where you were repeatedly hit over the head with a big stick marked “SATIRE”.

Still worth a listen though, and can be found on i-player here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007k1vg/Doctor_Who_1963_Fanfare_for_the_Common_Men_Episode_1/

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – I’m just finishing Part 9 of ‘Doctor Who and the Daleks’ myself.  Kept my mind off the Airedales fighting valiantly against their ‘beauty treatment’ in advance of their worldwide debut Friday night.

I’m more than disappointed that iPlayer isn’t keeping all of these episodes longer than a week online.  I’ll be offline from tomorrow morning, and they all expire before I return home from London.  🙁

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot

I’m lucky enough to have a Hard Disk Freeview PVR, so I can record the broadcasts digitally via the box and listen whenever. I honestly couldn’t rely on i-player as broadband provision isn’t that great for me (especially when trying to access TV shows). The one I have I can export files to other devices, hence while I’m saving the Daleks 10 part reading for a book at bedtime option for later in the year.

Find out your Time Lord name.

I am The Protector.

You know you want to

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant

Funnily enough, I’m The Technician.

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’m the Clown!

thommck @thommck

Irresistable @pedant

I’m The Tracker!?

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.