On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Moffat’s Zygon redesign fails to impress…
    z

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed – Lost in Space and the giant carrot! Ooh, that takes me back!

I think it was actually called ‘The Great Vegetable Rebellion’. Tybo the giant carrot accuses Dr Smith of murder for picking those flowers. In ensuing events, Dr Smith becomes a big stick of celery, Penny turns into a flowerbed and the adult members of the audience wonder how many tabs the writer had been dropping (it was 1968).

For an especially surreal experience, watch it dubbed into Spanish. ๐Ÿ™‚

wolfweed @wolfweed

The Moffat era Dalek redesign is said to be badly proportioned…

z

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed The image of the carrot and Dr Smith brings an instant smile. Certainly one of the most memorable episodes of LiS. Interesting to rewatch now alongside Who episodes of the same period. One is classic the other just silly, albeit in a fun kind of way.

That has to be the worst Dalek I have ever seen. ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks like a Dr Who Lost in Space crossover.

Cheers

Janette

WhoHar @whohar

And now this:

ย http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/17/yeti-dna-ancient-polar-bear-scientists

It’s all coming together, I tell you.

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip

For an especially surreal experience, watch it dubbed into Spanish

ยฟQuรฉ?

(I come from Barcelona – the planet obvs.)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

How disappointed we all were when this years Strictly Come Dancing turned out to not feature any Classic Doctors or indeed monsters as contestants…

z

@whohar – I was a teeny tiny British expat in Bilbao when I first saw Lost in Space. In Spanish. Which I only spoke to the level of ‘Una fresa, por favor.’ ๐Ÿ™‚

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 34 has travelled to deepest Sylvania and requires your diametric dialogue…

z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

In his latest Guardian retrospective, @danmartinuk suggests that McCoy’s The Happiness Patrol is the gayest Who story ever put to screen.

Learn more about what he calls a “pink noir” here:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/oct/16/the-happiness-patrol-doctor-who-classic-episode

Anonymous @

It’s only 5 weeks until the First Annual ** Doctor Who Forum Pub Knees-Up on Friday 22nd November!

** @bluesqueakpip – if it happens once, it must happen every year ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

@scaryb @bluesqueakpip @juniperfish @craig @jimthefish @pedant @whisht @danmartinuk @arkleseizure @daftmunkee @phaseshift
    and @ everyone else –

I apologise that I’m limiting our choice of pub due to The Airedales, but they’re part of our gang, and anyway they really don’t circumscribe our choices that much. Plenty of central London pubs (and gastropubs) allow dogs inside; and considering the late November weather, we don’t want to be huddled under an insubstantial awning outside, even if there are patio heaters.

Let’s narrow choices by area. All pubs listed, I’ve contacted and they insist that a large group must have a reservation on a Friday night. And dogs are absolutely allowed inside (even if only in the bar area, and they all serve food in the bar area) in all of these pubs.

South o’ t’river

http://thegoldsmithpubanddiningroom.co.uk/4.html
    — 2 -3 minutes’ walk from Borough (Northern Line) and Southwark (Jubilee Line) tubes

http://www.theblackdogvauxhall.com/contact.html
    — 5 minutes’ walk from Vauxhall (Victoria Line and overground)

http://www.woolpackbar.com/#/find-us/4562347999
    — 5 minutes’ walk from London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines, plus overground)

http://thedeanswift.com/reviews/
    — 8-10 minutes’ walk from London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines, plus overground), Tower Hill (Central & District Lines, plus DLR), and Bermondsey (Jubilee Line)

North o’ t’river

http://www.foodandfuel.co.uk/our-pubs/the-queens-arms-pimlico/find-us/
    — 5 minutes’ walk from Victoria Station (Victoria, Circle, and District Lines, plus overground)

http://www.theconstitution.co.uk/blog/?page_id=47
    — 5 minutes’ walk from Victoria Station (Victoria, Circle, and District Lines, plus overground)

So, anyway, today 50 years ago the first instalment of the broadcast version An Unearthly Child was shot – and the crew were told to halt all production for future serials (including Terry Nation’s futuristic story) owing to the high cost of production.

In the spirit of Crazy Captions …

Fifty Bonkers Reasons There’s No Trailer is open for your suggestions.

@Shazzbot – I don’t know any of those pubs from personal experience. For ease of access from the Excel Centre, The Dean Swift – you can take the DLR to Tower Hill, walk over the bridge to Butler’s Wharf. I’ve a vague feeling I’ve heard people mention it favourably, but it is only a vague feeling.

Victoria from the Excel Centre would be a nightmare; right across town. There’s a similar problem with Vauxhall.

Anyone else any comments?

Anonymous @

Yeah @bluesqueakpip – I was leaning toward the Dean Swift myself.ย  It’s a teensy bit further from public transport, but 10 minutes really isn’t that far (and might be bracing for those who need a bit of ‘wakey-wakey’ before getting onto the Tube to go home!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚ย ย  ).ย  Also, it’s near as you say to the DLR for those coming from the Excel, and there’s so many other Tube line options.

Plus, the guy I spoke to on the phone sounded the nicest of all of them!ย  Kitchen’s open until 9:30pm which is later than others, they have craft beers, and from the photos it looks like an unpretentious place.ย  Also, Butler’s Wharf is near the river …

Linky again to The Dean Swift

I’ll wait for more people to comment, but I really do want to book our table someplace by the end of the weekend if possible. @arkleseizure @daftmunkee – let me know as soon as you can whether you’ll be coming that night.

ScaryB @scaryb

LOL @pedant Seems the Doctor was up against the BBC Daleks from before it even started. (Or maybe they were just worried that every episode was going to be done twice)

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot (kudos to you on the pub research @bluesqueakpip

I’m happy with whatever suits most people (and the Airedales of course) – big Sat’day morning woofs to them)), but I’d second the request for easy access to DLR

wolfweed @wolfweed

The latest one from Hickman & Roberts…….

wolfweed @wolfweed

Since it’s been three hours since the Fifty Years trailer aired, some of you must have seen it 180 times by now…

You know who you are!

#SaveTheDay was trending no.1 in the UK twittersphere, followed closely by #DoctorWho

wolfweed @wolfweed

Who are these people? Why are they in the 4th Doctor’s TARDIS?
    z

@bluesqueakpip – Hurry, Martin Freeman! Sauron beckons…

Anonymous @

@scaryb @bluesqueakpip @juniperfish @craig @jimthefish @pedant @whisht @danmartinuk @arkleseizure @daftmunkee @phaseshift
    and @ everyone else available in London on Friday 22 November:

I’m sensitive to the fact that many of you may not have been able to login this weekend and vote on a pub.ย  But what with my Topic, Grammar, Spelling, Editing, and General All-Round Anal-Retentive Dalek Crown weighing heavily on my head, I now also have the Choose-a-Pub Dalek Crown ** to bear.

** In-Tox-i-Cate!!!

So, with the votes currently unanimously in favour of The Dean Swift – that’s where we’re going.

The Dean Swift Pub, Butler’s Wharf
    10 Gainsford St, Butler’s Wharf, London, SE1 2NE
    t: +44 (0)20 7357 0748

http://thedeanswift.com/
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=533806&y=179932&z=0&sv=SE1+2NE&st=2&pc=SE1+2NE&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Our table for 14 (12 humans + 2 dogs) is booked for 6:30pm, Friday, 22 November 2013, under ‘Shazzbot’.ย  If I’m not there with The Airedales when you arrive, whoever arrives first, just say my name three times – ‘Shazzbot … Shazzbot … Shazzbot …’ **

** (‘You-don’t-need-to-talk-to-Barbara — JUST SAY IT!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ‘)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Wow – thanks for all the organising @Shazzbot – I and dark doppleganger Juniperfish will be there on the 22nd ๐Ÿ™‚

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Waves excitedly at everyone as the 50th approaches xxx

Anonymous @

@juniperfish – glad to see your two-toned flippers back here!ย  It’s been too long.

Glad I booked for 12 now that I know you’re bringing your doppelgangerย  ๐Ÿ™‚ .

@ everyone else re the pub get-together – please PM me if you can come (and weren’t directly named in the previous post), and if you were named in the previous post but are bringing a +1 (or any other number of additional bods!), please also PM me about that, so I can keep an eye on the numbers and arrange a larger table if necessary.

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

Welcome back! ๐Ÿ˜€

<does a little yeti dance of joy>

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Cheery wave to @juniperfish! Long time no see.

@Shazzbot – Blog updated with details and link.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@Shazzbot @scaryb @phaseshiftย  ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

@scaryb – Love the Yeti avatar

@phaseshift Did you get tickets for the 50th after all?

@craig A fishy pint it is!

Or indeed, one ofย those amazing cocktail recipes! ย 700 members – amazing!

Enlighteneddespot @enlighteneddespot

Hello all.

I’ve been lurking for a long time but thought it was time to finally say hello. Got started with the Doctor a few years ago when I realized that cable tv package included BBC America. Watched a couple Tennant episodes, then got dvds from the library when teen child had flu. We were both hooked. Have only watched AG Who. Matt Smith is my doctor, so it’s going to be bittersweet whenever he regenerates.

Love the website you have here. It’s the best of the Guardian commenters without the trolls!

Keep up the good work. And thanks to Craig for sorting out my sign up issue (emailprovider difficulty, not trouble with the website).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@juniperfish

Afraid not m’dear. I shall spend the weekend reporting on the event by making facetious comments on my blog, acting as Mod etc, while celebrating in my own small way.

Please have a think, and contribute a mad cocktail recipe for a Doctor for me to sample. ๐Ÿ™‚

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@enlighteneddespot Glad you could join us. Hello back. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regeneration always seems bittersweet (my ex-girlfriend, who’d never seen Doctor Who before AG Who, burst into tears when Christopher Eccleston regenerated but soon loved David Tennant)… But, somehow, regeneration has always seemed at the right time and for the best.

And next time we get Peter Capaldi. I just hope he can live up to expectation (but given notification of directors and rumoured writers I think they may be stepping up their game). I am hoping to be blown away.

Anonymous @

@mordred1986ย  – I moved your post to our Fan Creativity topic, as it seems better placed there.ย  But thanks for joining us, and coming to the sofa to introduce yourself.ย  Welcome.

Hope you enjoy our site and we look forward to your ‘theories more insane than what’s actually happening’.

Anonymous @

@htpbdet – wha-hey!!!ย  You have internet contact!ย  Welcome back, your 50th anniversary theory has got a lot of people excited.

Mordred1986 @mordred1986

@Shazzbot – Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ i’ve been reading this forum for some time now but because i usually dont post i had not signed up until now.

Anonymous @

I am interested in your opinion

Doctor who is for me a 8.5 show , what does it not have to go over 9 ?

Over 9 are perfect shows whithout any flaws , like the wire , breaking bad , the game of thrones

I think more related stories , less non related stories , and 24 episode per season and not 13
    Then it would be 9.5 in my book

What is your opinion?

ScaryB @scaryb

@d12345

In my opinion it’s currently mostly 9+ and occasionally a 10.ย  Wouldn’t argue about a 24 episode series, but I doubt it’s going to happen ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous @

Scary , what are your other favorite series ?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@d12345

What are your favourite shows. You can tell us about them here. I’d be interested in sci-fi genre shows with 24 episodes a series you think would rate a 9/10.

ScaryB @scaryb

@d12345

Currently Orphan Black, recently Broadchurch. But I think we are just going to have to differ on this. I particularly liked the (mostly) unrelated stories in series 7. But I also like the arc based series – so long as the writers are coming up with good ideas rather than doing the same thing/not doing the same thing just for the sake of it.

Anonymous @

Scary we agree to disagree , but i agree that if non related story is good then no problem , but blink good and not rings of aghten(?) poor episodes

wolfweed @wolfweed

Behind the scenes of the Sydney Doctor Who Projection earlier this year.

Anonymous @

Only one month to go people ๐Ÿ™‚ย  You could mark the passage of time with this beautiful fob watch available from the BBC Shop. That’d be a nice addition to my growing fob watch collection (hint, hint ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 36 demands your corridor convo…

z

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox — I do like me a half-hunter but I think the face itself is a little garish for my liking. The casing looks fab though….

wolfweed @wolfweed

Amazingly, this image from ‘Amy’s Choice’ was just used in (consumer programme) Watchdog’s ‘Rogue Traders’ segment, to scare some rogue traders who’ve been ripping off old folk…

zย  Dr Who gets everywhere

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

Dr Who gets everywhere…

So Moffat even lies that he lies ๐Ÿ˜‰

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish

re TARDIS consoles – they have the original 10’s console, the documentary Hartnell replica, and Matt’s one plus at least 3 exteriors from various periods, at the Dr Who Experience in Cardiff.ย  Place is hoaching with them!ย  Just sayin… ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous @

@scaryb – lovely word, ‘hoaching’!

And I’m glad you got to go to the DW Experience.ย  Besides consoles, what else did you like?

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

z

that’s @SHAZZBOT on Troll Patrol that is

Anonymous @

heh heh heh @toinfinityandbepond – yep, when I’m wielding an axe instead of a shotgun.ย  Wait ’til you see my raygun.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.