On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb made a comment on the Terror blog about the target covers @jimthefish and I posted, which made me want to share this. The earliest Who books were released in Japan and had some astonishing covers by people who clearly had never seen the show, or didn’t give a wet slap. I mean – everyone knows that British telephone boxes are red, don’t they?

I remembered @jimthefish was talking about Dalek redesigns for his own stories and thought if he hadn’t seen this it would be interesting. Those things in the foreground are their version of Daleks – although I’ve no idea what Darth Vader appears to be doing to them.

Even more bizarre is the fact that the translation for Doctor Who and the Daleks became “The Big Bloody Space-Time Battle!”. So the Japanese seemed to have invented the concept of the Time War with the Daleks decades before RTD!

DestinyRose @destinyrose

Hi there!! I am new to this site, but I want to express how happy I am to join!!! I have been looking far and wide for a place to discuss all things WHO, and I have finally found it! Sorry for the noob post, just wanted to say hello:)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@DestinyRose- don’t apologise, that’s what this space is for (both the sofa and the site as a whole) 🙂

@everyone else: ok, got exam this afternoon at half two, so please spare me a thought between half two and half five.

(Unless any of you have mastered telepathy, in which case, spare a thought for relics and iconoclasm, cabinets of curiosities, and the evolution of museums, books and the ethics of display and ownership. thank you!)

Had to stop revising yesterday afternoon because hours of screen glare was threatening a headache. (not from this site, though, @craig!)

Probably be in the Rose and Crown later, weeping in the corner….

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves @destinyrose> Welcome to the Forum, thanks for popping in. Look forward to hearing your theories, stories, contributions

@phaseshift – wow! you speak Japanese too? And is that a female Doctor? 😆

Rummaging around on Twitter this morning I came across this (ANYTHING to get my mind off lost/unlost Who) – new project with McCoy (it’s his twitter handle so I’m guessing he’s quite involved) http://www.ministerofchance.com/

New scifi film – The Minister of Chance. They’ve made a well received audio pilot so far and they’re still fundraising for the next stage (filming the prologue).  Not worked my way round all of it yet, but cast also includes Paul McGann, Paul Darrow, Philip Glenister and Jenny Agutter. (I’m not sure if I’m amused or depressed (ie you’d think with those connections they could get the damn thing commissioned, but maybe they’re going for artistic freedom) that they’re working from the basic level of eg £125 for McGann’s train fare)

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick

Fingers, toes and everything crossed for you this afternoon. Let us know how you get on. That all sounds very Dr Who-ish – don’t forget the little shop 😉

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

Doctor Who and the Daleks became “The Big Bloody Space-Time Battle!”

As much as I like Day of the Doctor, that sooo should have been the title of the anniversary special. It would have made a hell of a hashtag too…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick – best of luck! And remember that your eye will, invariably, first light on the one question you can’t answer. It seems to be some kind of weird exam rule that they never mention…

Just keep reading the questions until you find the ones you can answer. 🙂

Anonymous @

@miapatrick – I’m echoing everyone in hoping that one hour from now will find you demanding we all buy you drinks in the Rose & Crown, in exultation at your anticipated high exam grade (and not weeping in the corner 🙂 ).

@jimthefish

Doctor Who and the Daleks became “The Big Bloody Space-Time Battle!”

As much as I like Day of the Doctor, that sooo should have been the title of the anniversary special

That made me snort out my tea.

wolfweed @wolfweed

The long lost War Machines episode, ‘Attack of the Gi-Cats’ has surfaced…

z

Right. I want a D-Notice on this thing, and hound any whistleblowers into hiding.

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

Brilliant (my favourite Goodies episode ref’d as well 😉 )

Additonal rumours have surfaced about the found episodes –

1 – it’s a whole (secret) Colin Baker season

2 – BBC have painstakingly restored the 60s episodes – to full colour and surroundsound

Meeow (I’ve got my coat)

CptNifty @cptnifty

Oh, hello. I’ve been posting away and forgot to say hello. Hello. Oh I’ve done that twice now, still better safe than sorry I suppose.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Another betting scam? Bookies had to close the betting on which episodes have been discovered, after the entire BeeBeeSea & their families all gambled that the story ‘Dr Who & the John Smiths’ was amongst those now found…

z

Also tipped as ‘likely discovery’, was the pilot for 8th Dr sitcom, ‘Half Human’, which saw the battle for Grace Holloway’s affections between her ex Brian and McGann’s Doctor (Set in downtown San Fran’)…

wolfweed @wolfweed

There is a strong hint that 105 episodes have now been found, but that Series 4,5 & 6 of New Who have been stolen & wiped by the Silence, never to be retrieved…..
    z

@wolfweed – what Series 6?

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

@bluesqueakpip – I’m sure I had the Loose Cannon’s a second ago. ‘Blink’ & ‘Amy’s Choice’ even have some CGI reconstruction as well as the telesnaps…but… Hang on, Where am I? How did I get here?

Odd. Why has there always been a numerical gap between series 3 & series 7?

When did 10 become 11?

wolfweed @wolfweed

It’s been confirmed that the Troughton story rediscovered is the one with a base under siege…
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb – It turns out you were right…
    z

(Your rumours make me chuckle – just imagine!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

z Crazy Captions 31 & Crazy Captions 32 are now rediscovered…

Anonymous @

@shazzbot – Re my rant on ‘Spoilers’ – I saw ScaryB’s post and on the whole I do agree but it would have been nice if Tony Hall or whoever had thought ‘As it’s the 50th Anniversary in 6 weeks, why not, as a special treat, show ‘The Web of Fear’ as it ties in nicely with the re-appearance of the GI in (AG) Series 7′.

I realise they need /want to make money out of these ‘finds’ and wouldn’t relish the thought that we’ll just record it instead of buying it, so to counteract that possibility they could’ve shown the un-restored version, say on BBC4, the weekend before. I’d have happily watched it and I’m sure others would as well. Even if I recorded it, I’d have still, funds allowing, bought the restored DVD version, not just for the visual/audio quality,  but because I’m a sucker for extra features (btw, has anyone seen details of the extras?).

Any way, I’ve since had a lovely cuppa (5 actually) and calmed down. Can I just repeat ‘6 weeks to go’. Yay 🙂

thommck @thommck

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed following all the email updates I was getting from this and the news thread last night.

It was such a pleasure seeing so much positive and excited activity on here since the lack-of-news-drought from after the last series finished. I wasn’t particularly bothered about the lost episodes personally (as most of the pre-McCoy eps are practically lost to me!) but I got an unexpected pleasure from seeing so many doolally fans on here acting like kids on Christmas morning 😀

Hopefully one day I will watch go back and watch all of the classic episodes so I’m really pleased that these new episodes have shown up and it holds out hope that there may be other lost episodes out there somewhere.

(Looks much better on the new-look mobile site too, great work @craig)

Anonymous @

Hi @fatmaninabox – don’t worry, I was entirely with you, and Craig, and wolfweed in being a bit miffed about paying for these (and can I even download from iTunes if I have no Apple devices, just a Dell laptop?), especially since it was repeatedly announced that we’d be saturated with Who in this anniversary year (and we haven’t been so far), and especially since Web of Fear ties into the latest series.

But then I saw IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan’s comment:

The license fee payer at the time paid for the content at the time.

… and I saw ScaryB’s comment (non-Who fans complaining about ‘their’ license fee being wasted) and worried that I’m being pretty ARSE-y.  🙂

You did have an excellent point about repeats of other ‘classic’ BBC series, though.  And I’m with you on being worried that all repeats of AG Who will be stopped now that they’re available on DVD.  🙁

Glad to hear you got your cuppa(s) in the Rose & Crown!

Anonymous @

@thommck – you and me both, on enjoying the excitement and glee over-running all the threads last night.  I’ve been grinning all morning.  🙂

Anonymous @

@shazzbot, yeah I sometimes worry about seeming ARSEy too. Technically, according to some (ie, ARSEs) I’m not even a ‘proper’ fan as I only watched BG Who when they featured Daleks, if there was a re-gen or a companion arrival/exit. I even, on one occasion, watched a CB episode out of curiosity as I’d heard the TARDIS was no longer a Police Box. I only watched 5 mins – 5 mins too long as well 😉

Although I watched and enjoyed ‘Dalek’, I only start watching regularly from ‘The Empty Child’ onwards. The only BG Who I own are the ones I remembered watching as a wee nipper – The Time Warrior, Genesis Of The Daleks, The Hand Of Fear and Earthshock. I also have ‘The Beginning’ box-set as I wanted to see where it all began. Can’t get enough of it now 🙂

@Shazzbot

and can I even download from iTunes if I have no Apple devices, just a Dell laptop?

Of course you can.

Download iTunes

Set up Apple account.

Win.

They are just mpeg-4 files. Did you think it was some sort of sekritsauce that only us Apple users can parse?

And repeats will not be stopped: they still make money.

Anonymous @

@pedant – 🙂

No, actually, I just assumed that if Apple owns iTunes but are primarily a hardware-selling outfit, then they’d have a commercial reason to want everyone on the planet to own Apple hardware.

However, should I just wait for the DVD releases?  Especially since Web of Fear won’t be available until February, which implies something special will be on the DVD that isn’t available right now from the download.

Yes and if a Dell users gets used to using iTunes then discovers that everything they bought will automatically transfer to an iPad and JustWork(tm), which in turn will Airplay to an AppleTV and JustWork(tm) or video-out to HDMI….

….then their next PC is much more likely to be a Mac (as sales figures clearly show).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Well, I’m delighted by the news. Really happy it’s content that completes/near complete stories.

Practically wore out my target book of Web of Fear when I was a nipper, and it only seems a short while ago I was talking about the (very good) audio version with @htpbdet. So that was immense news for me.

Also looking forward to the Enemy of the World. One of Troughton’s favourite serials I believe, because of the two parts he plays.

This raised a smile from the Daily Mash:

Doctor Who fans say new old episodes not as good as old old episodes

Fan Julian Cook said: “I firmly remember The Web Of Fear as a terrifying piece of television that sparked a lifelong obsession with the show.

“But these episodes go in new and worrying direction to the other episodes that slot around them.

“For example they’re made Patrick Troughton’s Doctor into more of a comedy figure than he was in the preceding and following episodes.

“Why do the BBC alway have to change things? I’m going to start watching Babylon 5 instead.”

@shazzbot

I’m waiting for the DVDs as I’ve had real problems in the past with i-tunes, but look forward to any comments on people who have accessed them.

The DVDs are likely, if the past is anything to go on, to have additional content. Not of interest to everyone, but I quite like the docs and alternative commentaries. Some can be dull, but Fraser Hines in particular is good value for money.

@Shazzbot – they won’t stop the repeats. They’re a ‘loss-leader’. Compared with taking up a large chunk of your hard drive, forking out £15 or so for a Blu-ray seems quite attractive; especially with all the extras. And once people have bought that series, they might decide that they want the earlier series. And then they might want to look at all these earlier Doctors. 🙂

If you watched the recordings of the Comic Con Q&A, did you notice that Steven Moffat made a point of asking ‘who here watched S7 by downloading?’ He obviously wanted to show that bit (or Julie Gardner had primed him to show that bit) in his next presentation to the BBC execs; that pretty well every single one of those keen fans didn’t want to wait for their Who. And they all knew how to find the illegal downloads.

The results of that informal poll can be clearly seen in the world wide simulcast of The Day of The Doctor and the delay of the announcement that, yes, tapes had been recovered – until they could be legally downloaded. This is, I think, the BBC trialling the oft-stated idea that if you make downloads immediately available worldwide at an attractive price, people will prefer to buy stuff legally. The ‘illegal’ downloads will then reduce to people trying stuff out because they’re not sure they want to buy it, and penniless students. 🙂

The alternative would be trying to make the region formatted DVD’s available immediately – and we all found out how well that went with The Name of The Doctor going out early.

Anonymous @
    wolfweed @wolfweed

I heard a rumour a while back, that Capaldi was going to present Have I Got News For You tonight but sadly it’s not to be…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – I didn’t realise that that Mash piece was a spoof for a second… It sounds so feasible. Funny to think that when Tomb of the Cybermen was rediscovered, there was a lot of disappointment from some. The actual footage didn’t live up to their imaginations’ (which must have had multi-million pound budgets!)

wolfweed @wolfweed

Here are those other 97 episodes that the Mirror promised us…
    z

Not sure this link’ll work, but if it does it’s the best gif ever.

Anonymous @

Aaaaah @pedant – but is that pronounced ‘gif’ or ‘jif’?  😀

Jif is what I clean my kitchen with.

thegreenwhofan @thegreenwhofan

Found this quite interesting: what would happen if every Who episode was strung together into one massive film:

http://imgur.com/FmEcjjf

Anonymous @

@thegreenwhofan – total running time 15.5 days! I bet the half a day would for the credits 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 33 would like a word or two…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

Anyone who enjoys a bit of Troughton might enjoy this:
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed

Double post catastrophe…

thommck @thommck

I was just taking a look at The Doctor Who Adventures website, you know, for my kids, and noticed they have a rather awesome collection of downloadable pictures http://www.dwamag.com/downloads/

friends

wolfweed @wolfweed

T-Shirts now available to buy…
    z

z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I deleted some duplication in your first URL and now the Salamander Tshirt displays properly.

Anonymous @

I have a theory on the names of Time Lords: The name they choose has to either start or end in R and then they have their alternate name, The Doctor=John Smith, River Song=Melody Pond. Then there’s the people we don’t know like Romana, Susan, Master, and good old @Shazzbot.

Anonymous @

@drtennant – try this website.   You’ll find it educational.  I’ve started you off on a page relative to your post’s assertion (not ‘theory’).

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_individual_Time_Lords_and_Gallifreyans

Anonymous @

I’ve just seen a Christmas advert and still there’s no 50th trailer!!! Bah, humbug 👿

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Christmas advert – for Dr Who?

Be patient, it will come (and be gone before we know it)! (I know, we’ve been saying that for months/centuries!). I heard they’re doing something especially for it, more like a prequel than a trailer as such. That’d be worth waiting for.

wolfweed @wolfweed

BBC budget cuts mean that this will be the 2014 Dalek redesign…
    z

Anonymous @

@scaryb — Agree and hope so too. I’m still holding out for there maybe being some kind of a McGann starring Time War prequel…

@wolfweed — just when I thought I wasn’t going to see anything creepier than that Ood pumpkin today, you find a deeper place…

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.