On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    CedarBranchTardis @cedarbranchtardis

“Who’s on first”.  A question or a statement?

BTW,, love the music when The Doctor “goes to war”.

Whisht @whisht

@cedarbranchtardis – indeed, nicely put! 🙂

btw is it the same music he goes to war throughout the series?
    I’ll admit I don’t pay attention and don’t re-watch enough, so hadn’t realised whether Murray Gold had used a ‘war’ theme. But wouldn’t surprise me if he had and thanks for making me listen harder (even if he didn’t)!

CedarBranchTardis @cedarbranchtardis

I was thinking of the music of the “When a Good Man Goes To War” episode, but don’t remember how it goes for the life of me. Where are those earworms when you want them.

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip  @whisht

I have fond memories of the Fifth Doctor walking around Castrovalva shortly after regenerating, telling people, “I’m looking for the Doctor.” He knew he needed to find the Doctor, but not who he was or why he needed to find him! Sadly, it only lasted until he’d had a good rest, which I guess was just as well. It might have become awkward once he ran into any of his old enemies. Daleks: “The Dok-tor!” Doctor: “Oh, you’re looking for him as well?”

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@arbutus – the Capaldi Doctor has Clara, though. Which is partly why I keep wondering if the memory problem is going to be more than ‘post-regeneration trauma’.

Moffat’s spent eight episodes and two Specials setting up Clara as the one Companion who knows every incarnation of the Doctor – and indeed, knows his wife, and his friends, and even – though she’s forgotten it – where to find his name.

We also saw her having at least an introductory lesson on how to fly the TARDIS. 😀

Anonymous @

Hello I have just joined.

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip   You could be right, she has certainly been set up that way. It could also be only certain things that have been forgotten. Doctor Tennant forgot what kind of person he was, Doctor Smith forgot what he liked to eat. Who knows what Doctor Capaldi has forgotten!

@whisht @cedarbranchtardis @purofilion

I wrote a little about the theme music over on the Music Thread!

@AplaceOfEndlessWonder   Welcome! I like your user name.  🙂

Anonymous @

@arbutus thanks. So what are we talking about

Arbutus @arbutus

@AplaceOfEndlessWonder

It’s all here to be read! Different threads, different topics. Choose a forum or a blog, read the recent comments, and join in. No ideas are too bonkers!

Anonymous @

@arbutus thanks again

Arbutus @arbutus

@AplaceOfEndlessWonder     I should also have said that some easy places to start are Doctor Who Memories, where you can tell us about your history with the show, The Faces of the Doctor, where you can talk about who are your favourite doctors and why, or The Next Doctor, for your thoughts and hopes about what might be next for the show.

Anonymous @

@arbutus okay I will head of there to one of them.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

Happy Birthday Tom!

And hello folks; haven’t posted in a few days. Anyhow… I’m currently (currently meaning over a period of a few days) watching Trial of a Time Lord (in other words, a full season of classic Doctor Who). Just finished watching Mindwarp. Afterwards I’m hoping to get my Revelation of the Daleks DVD to play properly… annnnd I’m planning on buying some Seventh Doctor episodes too. Oh and The Moonbase DVD arrived today, haven’t watched it yet though.

How are all of you?

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

Good grief, my childhood Doctor is 80!

I’ll get out My “Pyramids of Mars” DVD tonight in his honour!

Arjay @arjay

@arbutus I’ve always understood those situations with Tennant and Smith to indicate how he was a new person and he simply hasn’t yet figured out what type of person he is. It was even rather emphasized with Tennant’s regen. Though I’m still new to the classics so I don’t really have much background to compare to.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Arbutus @arbutus

@arjay    I’ve always understood those situations with Tennant and Smith to indicate how he was a new person and he simply hasn’t yet figured out what type of person he is.

I don’t think that’s wrong at all. I only gave those as examples of “memory” as we were debating the possibility of the Capaldi doctor having lost his. In this context, I interpreted that as memory, but you’re right that it is also a question of “personality”. In early Who, regenerations were all handled differently, but there was usually a suggestion of confusion, forgetfulness, or instability of some kind immediately after regeneration, starting with the Fifth Doctor, I think.

@arbutus

starting with the Fifth Doctor, I think.

Fourth. Or rather, third to fourth. Something along the lines of his brain cells being shaken up and he’d be a little erratic for a while.

I suspect the scriptwriter had just met Tom Baker. 🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip      Good catch. My memories of Tom Baker’s first episode are a little vague, and I didn’t want to make a definitive statement that I couldn’t back up! Do you have a workspace surrounded by multiple screens, with all of Who loaded and ready to go, there to be accessed when some distant bit of trivia is required? Images from different eras flickering all around you, helping you build your theories and comment on the theories of others? Or do you just have a really, really good memory? (I personally like the first version best!)  🙂

@arbutus – I’m an actor by trade, so plot details, characterisation, actors and roughly which script that line came from do tend to stick in my memory, yes.

But the real secret is that I also have some training in Internet research skills. 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

John Hurt is 74 today…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 54 longs for your wicked wit…
    z

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

For anyone who fancies a look, my latest blog post went up last night and focuses on Target books and the upcoming City of Death novelisation

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/the-city-of-death-is-coming-and-why-it-matters-2

Enjoy!!

Andy

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

I’m an actor by trade

Really? For some reason I thought you were a screen writer.

Taking care not to reveal your true identity, have you been in anything we’d be familiar with? A certain, long running sci-fi series perchance (it would be sooo cool if you have 🙂 )?

@fiveroundsrapid

Aaagh, City of Death!!! That episode (or, at least,  Scaroth unmasked)  traumatised me so much it erased most of my childhood memories of DW 😮

@fatmaninabox

No, I’m not a screen writer, though I have written scripts. Shortlisted, but not greenlit.

But by the time you’ve read several hundred scripts, plays and commercial storyboards, trying to figure out your character’s through-line, you do get very good at script structure. 🙂

[In answer to your polite query: no, I’m not well-known. Yes, you quite possibly have seen me. No, I’ve never been on Doctor Who. :-D]

MattWholigan @mattwholigan

Doctor Who Tardis Jacket for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191044831443

doctor who tardis jacket image

ScaryB @scaryb

A flyby visit to drop in a note from me mam confirming I’ve been busy busy and sorry for not being about much. Lurking a bit but no time to post.

Hope everyone’s well, lots of new posters and chat, great stuff 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

Any (minted!) Sherlock fans could be interested in bidding for Benedict’s hat on ebay (posted by director Colm McCarthy (Sign of Three and Bells of St J) , so it’s genuine, and for a charity he’s connected with).  As he so charmingly puts it: “there may be actual fibres of Cumberbatch – Benedict residue

You’ve got 6 days to save up!! If the bidding’s too hot, maybe share on twitter or facebook or whatever?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281249900734

Anonymous @

@scaryb – we used to have a member here a long, long time ago with the same username. I’m not sure what happened to her (perhaps got sucked into the Time Vortex) but can I take this opportunity to extend a huge welcome to the Forum 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@scaryb – nice to see you around again. Hope the ‘missing in action’ is due to lots and lots of lovely paying work. 😀

Anonymous @

Awww @scaryb, don’t be sad. I was only teasing. There’s a little something for you on the music thread (or will be once I get round to posting it 😉 ).

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

Afternoon all!

Been busy for a while so haven’t been catching up on what’s going on over here.

If anyone’s interested here’s the link to my latest blog post. It’s an odd post for me as it’s one of those rare occasions where I’ve decided not to sit on the fence for a change and have voiced my opinion about something that’s been bothering me for some time.

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/contentious-moi

Please have a read if you get the opportunity and let me know what you thing. Agree? Disagree? Vent away!!

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Would anyone like to own a very nice nautical painting by Patrick Troughton? If so, head over to eBay now!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Framed-Oil-Painting-by-Patrick-Troughton-The-Second-Dr-Who-/291063955957?clk_rvr_id=578626350014

Be warned: not cheap!

nadin01 @nadin01

is anyone else as excited as me for Peter Capaldi????

Anonymous @

Anonymous @

Is it just me or is Romana Marquez (Karen in Outnumbered) starting to bear a striking similarity to Jenna Coleman?

@fatmaninabox

One of the Claricles became a child actor?

Using the name ‘Romana’ is a tad suspicious… 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

@lordstevenfletcher – I’ve moved your post info here.

Author : lordstevenfletcher
    Comment:
    Look am new to this my name is steven fletcher i have alot of signed dr who art signed and comisioned by the bbc (department six) and signed by the artist. I hav 9 pictures in box sealed if u would like a picture e mail me on steven.fletcher81@googlemail.com am looking for about £300 per picture well worth it.

ScaryB @scaryb

<waves @janetteb>

Good to see you back. Hope you had a great holiday, and RL’s going well – but not TOO distracting from these boards, haha. (Amazon reviews are hysterical, some of them v clever).

janetteB @janetteb

Waves back. @scaryb

A welcome to you is also in order I believe. Thanks yes we had a lovely holdiay. Been busy since returning. I “lurk” rather than comment mostly these days, partly because I have not had time to catch up on all the discussions that have taken place since Christmas and don’t want to comment on a thread that I haven’t read through.

The Guardian now has an article about the Amazon comments.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

Guardian article on the Series 8 reviews. So they do 😀

Interestingly the G article commenting on reviews for a yet to be filmed series, has a link to 22 comments of its own – which would appear to be invisible!

(mainly lurking etc, me too; glad you enjoyed hols)

schultze101 @schultze101

Hello all,

I haven’t quite just joined (I made my introductory post in another topic thread last week) but I do have some things I feel I ought to let everyone know.

I’m a fan of Doctor Who. A major fan. I stopped just short several times last year of a buying a sonic screwdriver (and I probably won’t get any further on that front because now that I’ve started watching again, I can’t decide between Ten’s and Eleven’s sonics). Partly, I’m here as a fan who’s a bit behind on the times (I’m stalling on my first watching of Season 6 because college is taking up a lot of my free time).

But I’m also here for another reason.

I’m currently in my sophmore year at college (I’m attending DePaul University), and am taking a course focused on online/virtual communities. The overarching project of the course is a research project. Said project requires I interview three separate people about themselves and their place in the overall community/feelings on the property. My group decided on Doctor Who, since we all have watched and enjoy the show.

Now, let me be up front about some things. If any of you would be open to this, there are things I’m obligated to tell you: for one, everything I record will be used only for the course work. Any information I might get from any of you won’t go beyond a single paper and a group presentation, at which point it will either by deleted or simply sit unused forever (the ultimate fate of the information you disclose to me is yours to decide). Another thing: if you tell me anything that might be in any way personally compromising to you, I will happily change whatever details I have to so you could not be recognized if that information somehow ever got out to a less controlled environment than a college classroom, or simply omit that information at your request. You should also know that you should feel no obligation to participate in this, and if you do choose to participate, you can stop the  interview at any time and for any reason. I will do everything I can during the interview itself to ensure that I am the only one who hears what you tell me. If you would prefer me to not electronically record the interview in its entirety (by way of recording software or other such methods), I will just take notes.  The interview itself should take around 45 minutes to complete, and will likely happen over a form of long-distance communication (telephone, email, skype to name a few possibilities). I will do my best to make my method easy on you.

If you would like to know more and/or are interested in participating, send me an email or personal message through the forums. Those who aren’t 18 or older should not respond.

My email is isaacschulz@yahoo.com.

On a somewhat less professional note, the first set of field notes is due February 10th, so if any of you would be able to participate in a interview at any time over the weekend, that would be fantastic.

robynlyn15 @robynlyn15

Hello.  I am new to the site, but not to Doctor Who.  I was looking for a place to let people know about a Doctor Who themed Kickstarter and happily came here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geekyhostess/geeky-sprinkles-fun-sprinkle-shapes-for-geeky-bakihttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geekyhostess/geeky-sprinkles-fun-sprinkle-shapes-for-geeky-baki

TARDIS sprinkles!  Everyone should check it out.  She is not at her goal yet, and I won’t get mine unless she gets there.  Thanks!

robynlyn15 @robynlyn15

Nooooooo.  I missed bidding on the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock cap.

Anonymous @

Normally, I’d post something like this on the Fan Creativity page but I thought it might provide some entertainment while your having a chat and a coffee.

It’s a CGI Dalek story explaining how Dalek Khan got through the Time Lock and into the Time War. Completely non-canon of course but brilliantly done.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z

FaeGrl @faegrl

Okay… this IS daunting… I’ll make it short then. I’m new to the site, not to the series, long time fan of the Doctor since age six (age 33 now). Hello, everyone!!! And now, bye. ^_^

Anonymous @

Uh oh! Alfie’s on the rampage. Craig Owens really needs to learn how to control that child of his 😉

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.