Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    WhoHar @whohar

@craig

My post #19659 needs a bit of editing to stop me looking like an arse. Probably because I used my phone to post and I’m no expert.

One thing though – on the mobile site, the “Reply to” box allows me only a certain number of lines and then it freaks. Not sure why and it’s not a major problem as I tend to write in a notebook app and then cut-and-paste. Maybe add to your to do list? Thanks. WH

Anonymous @

Hiya @whohar – I’ve done a light touch of editing on your post 19695.  If you’d like anything else changed, please let me know.

WhoHar @whohar

@Shazzbot

Top notch work as ever. Thanks.

You Yorkshirewomen certainly know you way around t’interwebs.

Anonymous @

@craig

I’ve ‘unspammed’ your post

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

@scaryb – Do I get a badge now that I’m a member of ‘The Spammers Club’ ? 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hi @craig – I think I may have been treated as spam.

Now, it could also be a new quality control feature, or it could have been at my end (user error, BT broadband etc etc).

Really hate asking for you to do this but I tried to leave a post on The Day of the Doctor thread in response to mini-HTBDET(s) here.

Apologies if its my error – if so I’ll try and re-post.
    thanks for your help mate (that’s another pint I owe you – you’ll be plastered when after we eventually meet!)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb I thought a black header would be appropriate for a few days (but didn’t want to make a fuss). Also, it felt a bit like the stars had gone out. Thanks for your PM too, by the way.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht I don’t see anything of yours in spam so it may not have arrived. And no worries asking, that’s what I’m here for.

Please try posting again now.

I’ve just unspammed almost everything in spam (then deleted it, as I thought spamming something benign may be creating some of the current issues), so apologies if some people got some old messages from the likes of DrTennant.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@whisht – You just need to lose the brackets around the s – mini-HTPBDETs [not mini-HTBDET(s)].

(I just did the same thing until I realised & edited it).

May I say that you are not spam!

Anonymous @

@craig – sure you’ve seen it too, but do we really need yet another new sign-up promoting that blinking raffle all over the forum?

Anonymous @

Thanks @craig.

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – my go-to person for images  🙂

It’s been suggested that we add a ‘Theatre’ section to the Non-Doctor part of the forum, to supplement the Films / TV / Books topics.  I just know you’ll have good suggestions for an image to display with a new Theatre topic on the home page.  Thanking you in advance …

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot

z
    What size image do you need? If you need a smaller image I can shrink this one or find something else…

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – you truly do have access to everything.  🙂  That’s marvellously funny.

It needs to be the size you see of the other topic images on the Home Page.  Will this one shrink down that far?

Thanks again sweetie.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

z @Shazzbot – Not sure if that’s too teeny tiny to make any sense?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed @Shazzbot

I may be able to do something with it. Or there’s these:

theatre

hamlet

wolfweed @wolfweed

z @Shazzbot  (& @craig) – What about this?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I like that. I had thought of Talons but couldn’t find something that grabbed me. That’s nice and subtle.

Anonymous @

Hi @wolfweed – I think the Palace Theatre one is nice.  I’m liking @craig‘s Tennant one too, but I was thinking the image should be more generically ‘theatahhh dahhhling’ rather than Doctor Who-specific.  If only because it might give an initial impression of a slant toward DW people appearing in theatre, rather than about theatre in general.

It was @tardisblue who originally suggested this, because she wanted to discuss some Sondheim she’d seen (and @htpbdet loved Sondheim just about as much as he loved Doctor Who, so not a bad choice for First Post in this new thread).

At this point, you’re probably thinking ‘go find your own image woman!’ and if you’re annoyed, I certainly will try.  But you have a gift, @wolfweed, and it seems bad not to let you unleash your powers.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Go ahead and create the topic. I’ll find something and if you hate it we can easily change it afterwards.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

@Shazzbot – I’m not annoyed. That’s me on the left.

Anonymous @

Actually @wolfweed – that’s pretty awesome.  (but, ‘left’ as in ‘stage left’?  😀 )

@craig – do you agree?  I think we’ve found our Theatre topic image.    Can you make it the correct size?  I’ll find it in the library once you do.

Hats off to @wolfweed and sterling work as always.  Have yourself a Gin Martini on the house.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot It’s uploaded. Let me know if you can’t edit the Home page and I’ll do it.

Anonymous @

ta v much @craig. Live now.  But as per elsewhere might need to be re-categorised.

@tardisblue – please do tell us all about your Sondheim Into The Woods experience.  I repeat that it’s quite an appropriate beginning, this week, to a new theatre thread.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Sorry, forgot how I set up the non-Doctor stuff. Theatre forum now in place so you can move your topic to there. It won’t break any links as any hierarchy of forums and topics is just for illusion and all just a bit wibbly wobbly.

Anonymous @

Thank GOODNESS @craig‘s back to Ming.  That Nosferatu picture was doing my head in, and anyway, only Ming has the regalness (regality?) concomitant with your Emperor title.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@craig – just to mirror the comments above, the black header was a lovely touch.  Understated but respectful.  I think this week has shown why this is such a special website, a community, not a fansite.  I hope yourself and @Shazzbot are doing ok.  I can’t claim to have had many exchanges with @htpbdet but I’ve found myself glancing up at the stars a few times this week.

overunder @jamesunderscore

Hi all.

I haven’t posted for a while due to personal circumstances (new job etc.), but have still been checking and reading the site.

I checked the site yesterday at work and saw the sad news. In the midst of feeling very sad, I had an idea, and I hope it will be taken in the spirit that it’s given, which is one of remembrance and celebration of @htpbdet.

I thought it would be nice if we could have, underneath our names/avatars, a selectable list (maybe selected using checkboxes on our profile pages?) of “Our Doctors” in honour of @htpbdet‘s chosen moniker, so for instance one of my posts would show my avatar, my name, and then below that MS.

I’m not sure if this is possible with this forum software, although I have seen seen similar things on other forums, and I hope no-one thinks I’m being ghoulish – since I heard the news I have been thinking a lot about one of @htpbdet‘s posts where he said (and I’m paraphrasing heavily here!) that being a real fan is about loving something, being aware of it’s faults and not always having to enjoy it – knowing that some doctor’s are yours, but the ones that aren’t still belong to someone else and being respectful of that. I think it sums up the spirit of this forum well, and maybe this would be a nice little way of showing that.

Anyway, I hope that’s not out of line – please feel free to slap me down if it is!

ScaryB @scaryb

<peers nervously round the door and notes with relief that @craig is back as Ming (MtM would smoosh Nosferatu 😈 ) > All hail the Emperor! (The header is perfect btw, as is your description of it seeming like the stars have gone out this week 🙁 )

And welcome back @jamesunderscore. I like your idea of a tribute but am a bit confused how it would work. Let’s keep bonkers theorising in his honour 😉

WhoHar @whohar

@craig

On @shazzbot ‘s blog one of the comments from @mini-htpbdets was for me to send my “cack-handed (ie not very good [yet]) script” over to them.

Can this be done via this forum? Any file would probably be a pdf. Thanks.

Anonymous @

@whohar – can you send it to @craig‘s email on the home page?  He can get it to me, and I can get it to mini-HTPBDET(s).

WhoHar @whohar

Ok @shazzbot thanks.

It needs a bit of fettling first before it’s ready for release into the wild.

Anonymous @

@whohar – I had to look up ‘fettling’ but what a fine word it is indeed.  Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Can somebody with Time Lord powers (eg @craig, @phaseshift, @jimthefish, @Shazzbot) please move post #19873 from the Day of the Doctor thread by d123456 into the spoilers thread. Also explain to d123456 about spoilers policy & the fact that ‘Shapeshiters’ was not a word (until now).

z

Cheers.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whohar I’d be interested to read it myself anyway. I used to read scripts for the likes of Miramax, Newline and the BBC so, if you want, I can give you a few comments too. Although it was 99% rejection and about all I’ve got to show for that whole time is one scene in “Sliding Doors” so it may not be worth much.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

& the fact that ‘Shapeshiters’ was not a word (until now)

Shapeshiter (n) – A practitioner of the art of the anus, with the ability to excrete faeces into amusing and/or dynamic shapes.

Example – “Those balloon animals look horrid. Why are they all brown?” “They aren’t balloons. All the work of our resident shapeshiter.”

wolfweed @wolfweed

Thanks, @craig.

@phaseshift – Well, you learn something new every day!

So we now know what the Zygons will be doing in TDOTD…….

z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed are you jelaous or what ?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – I know you don’t want too much stuff in the ‘Etiquette’ section, but maybe we should put Standard English in there?

Something like ‘This Forum started off as an offshoot of Dan Martin’s Doctor Who blogs in The Guardian newspaper, when the below-the-line commentators wanted somewhere to continue talking. Consequently, posts use the Standard English used at the Guardian. Read through a few of our posts and you’ll see what we mean.

If English isn’t your native language, say so and think of this as a place to practice your best English. ‘

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – I wonder how many new sign-ups read the Etiquette page (and the Help page).

@craig – Perhaps if those pages were linked to from the Home Page near the ‘If you want to get started, please sign up’ text they might be more prominent to newbies?

Good idea btw Bluey on including Standard English notes.  Do you agree Craig?

janetteB @janetteb

A toy collector forum I was a once an active member of, (which sadly died a few years ago) had members from around the world, many of whom did not speak English as a first language. Most began by explaining that and apologising in advance for any errors they might make. It was never an issue. Some clearly struggled but they all managed at least to know when to end and begin sentences. (I think in the example here it was a lack of respect rather than a lack of linguistic ability that was the issue.) I have only just read through the exchange on the Spoilers thread discussed above and I think there is a little too much angst on the part of members here over what happened.  This is a friendly forum which does welcome new members. We treat people in response to the way they present themselves. Having been a member of several on line communities for many years I have always found that one can tell a lot about a person from almost their first post. I was fortunate to be able to meet up with many members of the forum I was a member of when we travelled in the UK and Europe and found that the members I met were just as I imagined them to be. (not physically as I pictured them all to look like their avatars). @craig, @wolfweed, @Shazzbot and @everybody, you are all fantastic and this is a wonderful place to be.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

I second all of that.  There are many people who have joined over the last few months who have slid seemlessly into regular (or irregular) posting, including several for whom English isn’t a first language.  People watch first, get the tone then decide if it’s for them or not.  They then either join, leave or troll.

Just to repeat what I said earlier about whether we should be chasing for new members – we don’t need the numbers, we’re not a commercial site (all praise to @craig (and isn’t it great to be on a site where you don’t have to keep the virtual blinkers on?!)) – the people who need to find us will find us!

thommck @thommck

Similar to @jamesunderscore I was feeling that it would be great to expand our profiles so we can all have a little more insight to the people behind the avatars.

If there was just a text box we could do a bit more free writing in to tell a little bit of our own stories

WhoHar @whohar

@craig

I’d be interested to read it myself anyway. I used to read scripts for the likes of Miramax, Newline and the BBC so, if you want, I can give you a few comments too

Thanks very much. Any comments gratefully received. It’s not really even at first draft stage, more of an extended brain dump, so I can get the concept down. I’ve had to put it to one side while I work on another project, so your critique will help me get back onto it. I’ll try and send it to you this weekend.

ScaryB @scaryb

2 weeks to go 😀

And a great new site avatar to celebrate, and bring us in. Many thanks and kudos @jimthefish

Anonymous @

Hiya @craig – as per @bluesqueakpip ‘s previous comment, I’m another vote in favour of her idea to add a ‘standard English’ clause to the ‘Etiquette’ page.  And also, here’s a repeat of my earlier post, that having a link to the Etiquette page (and to the Help page) near the ‘login here all ye’ text might be quite a good thing.  😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Don’t worry, I know what you’re referring to and have my eye on it. I don’t think those things would help though. Do you ever read the instructions? Best to ignore.

Anonymous @

@craig

Do you ever read the instructions? Best to ignore.

Awww.  And all that time I spent re-writing @phaseshift ‘s original blog to be scrumptiously perfect for your upgrade.  😀

Ain’t the weekend grand?  😆

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Help is different. People read that when they need, well…

The weekend, and any day when there’s news, is always grand. And there may be a different trailer on TV in 10 mins, but probably the one we’ve already seen.

Anonymous @

@craig – don’t forget about the 10 hour version … 😆

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig @arkleseizure

I’m in complete agreement with the one formerly known as the Cute Little Green Cartoon Creature with a Straw Hat (what a difference an avatar makes LOL). Close to new members NOW!

(Any doubts, go and check out the fracas on the YouTube trailer sites which were hijacked by 1 Direction fans for a while (and most of the Who fans responses weren’t much better). That’s what happens when you convert to nesting, peeps! (YouTube proudly announced this just recently, along with several other compulsory “improvements”). (It’s also a late Fri and Sat night problem – the trolls must be at their grumpiest when they realise everyone else has a social life, and they don’t 😈 )

Life’s too short.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.