Website comments

Home Forums General Website comments

This topic contains 946 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 947 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@craig – oh, sorry – one more thing! (you’re right – I’m Jfish in disguise hehe)

Can you add the How to Tag someone – @name (I  know you’ve mentioned it in spoilers etc but maybe good to have a separate line about it) – a friendly instruction.

And that there’s a 4 minute edit window before posts are timelocked forever(ish)

And a link to the page of smilies that @phaseshift posted – I meant to make a note of it and I forgot 🙁

Pretty pleeeease?

Whisht @whisht

Hi @scaryb – I know, the poor lamb mistook agreement with agreeableness.

and yes, this place is still organic – we’ve just simply pointed out where the main tracks are, rather than laying down pavement and “keep off the grass signs” (that’s an oblique ref to “desire lines” to make @craig smile!)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

My – you are a hard task master! 🙂 There will be another entry which is more of a “how to..” list. I have some things to tidy up and hope to get it checked with Craig and Jim before it goes live.

As it’s you though, here is the smiley information link:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Smilies

Pedantic point, re etiquette:

Ad Hominem is not the same as personal abuse. It is perfectly possible to launch an ad hom (and therefore fallacious) argument without being abusive.

“You are a puss-filled bubo with all the charm of a hungover bison” is crude abuse.

“You only say that because of your well-known support for puss-filled bubos with all the charm of a hungover bison” is an ad hom.

(Don’t’ get me started on “begging the question”)

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@pedant – “You are a puss-filled bubo with all the charm of a hungover bison”

… I didn’t know you were present when I took my wedding vows?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant Thanks for spotting that, you are of course right, so I’ve changed it slightly. In my defence I did write it after a few wines. 😀

@craig Well, that’s as good an excuse as any 🙂

@HaveYouFedTheFish – You married my sister?!?!?

Anonymous @

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan – I AM your sister and I resent that remark.  🙂

But I didn’t marry @HaveYouFedTheFish .  My dog swept his children out of the tank so the wedding was, erm, delayed and never happened.

@pedant – touché, Sir, touché!

@shazzbot – is it too late to ask you to make an honest fish of me?

Anonymous @

@HaveYouFedTheFish – much too late.  🙂  Try me again after your relatives stop chucking the deep-sea divers out of the tank at us.  (That fake seaweed is a b*tch to hoover out of the carpet.)

@shazzbot – deep sea divers? Bleurgh! I have a small castle, don’t you know!

From the turret I can see the sofa.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

We now have a live blog

Another experiment. 😀

@phaseshift has kindly written the first post, a guide to using this site. But the blog can be used for any sort of post, so if you have something you have always wanted to write about, be it a TV show, film, book or anything else that you feel doesn’t quite fit in any of the forums, that’s more article rather than conversation, please PM (Personal message) me or email me (address on home page) and I’ll give you the permissions to post in the blog.

@juniperfish I think your James Bond post would be a great contribution. Let me know if you want to move it to the blog.

Anonymous @

@craig — would @htpbdet‘s regeneration piece in the Faces of the Doctor section be a good subject for the blog also? It’s a great piece and clearly struck a chord with quite a few of us on here…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish That did cross my mind, it’s such a moving story and a great piece of writing that it really deserves more prominence. @htpbdet would you like to repost your regeneration post as a blog entry? No probs if not.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

I also think that both the comments by @juniperfish and @htpbdet would make good additions to the blog roll if they are willing (I think @juniperfish gave us permission, but it was a while ago, and it’s best to check).

I thought the thumbnail pic that was put up in the Activity thread was a interesting effect – didn’t expect that.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift Yeah, re the thumbnail, didn’t expect that myself. I banged his together using Open Source software, some of which I’ve never used before, so am standing on the shoulders of giants. As I said before, is all a bit of an experiment.

Will wait for Juniperfish and HTPBDET to reply.

Do like your R&H post. It may not get any more attention in the short term, but in terms of search, posting it as a blog rather than a topic gives it much more prominence, and is much easier for users to find as well.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig.      Forgive my innate Luddite tendencies, but truly, if you want to reposition things I have posted please do. You have my complete agreement.

Because it is Anniversary Year, I did wonder if there might be a couple of discussions we could start that could include everyone easily – such as : Favourite Companion and Why?; Best Adversary of the Doctor and why?; Best all time favourite episode ending in Classic Who and why?; Best writer for the series and why?; Favourite Nu-Who story and why?

Too cheesy? I would be happy to write some starting posts for any or all of those if it helped?

This site has been a post-operation Godsend!

🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Thanks @htpbdet It’s not a case of moving things because you posted in the wrong place, we want to highlight your post for posterity (well, the life of this site) because it was so moving and well written. I hope you don’t mind but I sent the link to my Mum, to show her that this forum is not just full of “Doctor Who is cool” posts, and she responded, as Mums do, that she thought your post was “lovely”.

If you go to the Home page and scroll to near the bottom we do have a Companions thread and a Doctor Who Memories thread (both sadly more or less abandoned). I don’t want to start too many new threads but if you could ressurect those threads that would be great.

And am glad this little community has helped you. You have helped this site just as much. I’m always eager to read your latest post. Thank you for joining us and the best of health to you!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Actually, I should move them up to the top, especially as I closed the Series 7 pt 2 speculation thread. Will do tomorrow.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig.    Okay – cool. Once you have moved them I will post something about Memories and Companions then.

And I did not think you were staying I had posted in the wrong place – all I meant was that you should feel free to move anything I post anytime without asking me if you think it is better elsewhere.

Your Mum is, obviously enough, a generous and kind woman.

Thanks!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – just a comment on opening up the next episode forum early.

From the point of view of someone not going in there – because I want to stay unspoiled – it’s feeling a bit frustrating. I can’t go into the Nightmare in Silver forum because spoilers are allowed; but The Crimson Horror forum no longer feels as if anyone’s speculating on the next episode. Which is logical, because the next episode forum is open – you can do the episode-specific speculation there.

So definitely ‘frustrating’. I don’t dare go in there; but I can see it’s being used. A lot. And I don’t know whether it’s being used a lot because people are speculating madly, or talking about spoilers. 🙂

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@bluesqueakpip.       Brave heart!  It is spoiler free – and right now a funny caption competion is raging!

Spoiler are for the Spoilers page.

There is some speculation, but mostly cool Cyberimages.

🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@htpbdet – thanks for that! If it’s spoiler free I will dip in once I’ve actually got some work done…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@bluesqueakpip. Speculation, not spoilers. Plus jokes! Jump in!

Anonymous @

Hi @craig – silly stupid thing so I apologise in advance for even bringing it up.

In my Bookmarks list on Firefox, everything else has a little avatar or logo.  But your lovely site only shows the default blank perforated square thingy-ma-bob.  Shall we have a vote on what avatar this site should display in Bookmarks / Favorites, or do you have an idea already?

@Shazzbot – that’d be a favicon…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@htpbdet After a bit of struggling I’ve discovered I can’t really post as you, so I’ve made you a blog “author”. Would you mind posting your post again as a blog? Basically I think you just need to hover over the +New tab in the top bar and choose “Post” you will then be given a screen where you add a title for your post, and then in the main box just paste your post. After that, just click publish on the right and your done. I’ll sort out any formatting issues, if there are any, afterwards.

Thanks again, and if you have any problems please comment here or PM (personal message) me.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot and @pedant Any ideas what I should use as a favicon? A few sites I’ve looked at use the TARDIS, so that’s an option, but if you can think of something different that would be cool.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@htpbdet I’ve also moved the Memories and Companions threads up the Home page now. If they don’t quite fit for you and you do decide you want an adversaries or best episodes thread then let me know, although I’d like to try and keep the number of threads to a minimum if possible, to stop too much fracturing of conversations.

Anonymous @

@craig and @pedant re favicons – well, if other sites are using the Tardis, then obvs this one should be different!   What say ye for your own (Craig’s) avatar?

If that bothers you (I know you are modest!), then how ’bout the time vortex as in the episodes’ beginning?  But that starts the argument on whether it should be blue, or red … @juniperfish  🙂

What about the hotly discussed picture in the hall of The Lodger?  (Considering how many people thought that looked like Nick Cave, though, it could be a distraction, but it lends itself to so many bonkers theories  🙂 .  But would it work in so small an image?)

Help!

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip – if you see I’ve posted somewhere, it’s likely to be safe! (I’ve even avoided the official trailers and the Radio Times so far).  People are even rating any links that are posted for levels of spoilering.

Or @craig even..

Anonymous @

@pedant — yes, Craing sounds suspiciously like a Cyberman name, oddly enough. I quite like the idea of using the Lodger painting. Or maybe that picture of Strax. Or maybe Dorian’s head in its box. It would be nice to have something cryptic and off-the-wall but maybe a TARDIS is the best idea…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot @pedant and @jimthefish I tried a few things but went for an exploding TARDIS for now. Not sure it really works, but trying to get anything detailed to work in 16x16px is quite difficult. Will have a go at a few other things over the weekend.

Anonymous @

@craig – Yay!  I have something colourful instead of a blank box!  Thank you, from the Easily Pleased Brigade.  🙂

However, as you say, that 16×16 px limitation is deadly.  Is there anything that looks clever, so small?  (I’m still partial to your avatar, mind.)  I have joined such a unique online community that I guess hoping its favicon at 16×16 could possibly express its uniqueness at that minimal size is a big ask.

Don’t neglect your other website admin on such a small point, though.  😉

Whisht @whisht

favicon material..?

or just the funniest thing you’ve seen today?

animated gif - favicon material?

no credit to me – link here to the page

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig    I have tried to do the Blog thing – please tell me if I have go it wrong. 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@htpbdet

Hopefully you’ve received notification you have a comment on your SIDRAT (great name) blogpost from me.

Many thanks for doing those. @craig s watching the footie, but if I can suggest we break the great text between Polly, Ben and the Doctor into a separate lines and maybe consider insering a few pictures for the blog post? I can edit if you want, but we’ll see what other feedback we get.

I also thought I could add a link at the base of the regenerations one to “The Faces of the Doctor” thread to highlight where your (and others) thoughts on the Doctors could be found.

Brilliant to see some more go up though. I confessed to @craig and @jimthefish that out blog roll looked a bit “phaseshifty” until now!

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift        Nothing wrong with PhaseShifty as far as I can see…

Please feel free to edit format in any way you think best – I tried to break the Power quote up but failed. And, yes, by all means add pictures too – I am afraid I do not have the skills for such cleverness.

Cheers

Zaphod @zaphod

@craig Love the exploding TARDIS (TARDII, Tardises?) favicon (I believe). I think that’s very apt for all the bonkers theorising going on here.  Maybe one day we will be able to explain to ourselves why there were three (or two) or they will all coalesce into one. And thanks again for hosting this party.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@craig  @phaseshift  @JimThe Fish

I have posted something else to the Blog site, but if you would rather it in in Memories, then feel free to move it. Just thought it might spark some discussion.

Cheers

WhoHar @whohar

@craig,

Would it be an idea to have a username that alerts the whole board – eg @all, @board. That way it would make it easier for announcements (eg @ardaraith‘s spoiler alert) to be broadcast via email to everyone. It might make you’re life easier too if there was something you wanted to say to us all. Maybe with an option for board members to opt out of the broadcast if required.

Just a thought.

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

@craig,

Probably everyone already knows, but the story for the next week’s finale is out there. Apparently the dvds for 7.2 were sent out early – including the Name of the Doctor. The plot no doubt will be all over the internet if it’s not already. There is some discussion of this on the spoiler thread (not the story, the news) telling people to stay away from social media and Dr Who websites. Would it be worth putting something on the Home page as a warning to spoiler all users?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift @jimthefish et al

As I’m not really running this as any sort of commercial venture I didn’t bother installing any analytics. However, as we’re growing I thought I might as well so did so on Saturday. Our first full day was Sunday and I was mighty impressed. 747 unique visitors and 7,278 page views. In one day!

Good work everyone for creating such a great space and mine of information and bonkers theories.

And we are now truly a forum on which the sun never sets 😀

12-may-2013

chickenelly @chickenelly

Oooh @craig that is very impressive, especially for a Sunday – weekdays could be less impressive (or more impressive) as a number of us are also accessing the site from work *shhhhh*.

Timeloop @timeloop

@craig Woah, I would have never thought it would be so much traffic!

On another note: Could you stretch the timeframe for editing you posts to half a day or a day?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@timeloop Me neither!

I have thought about extending editing, but I think I’d like to keep it as it is. On The Guardian you can’t edit at all, so I think it’s nice to have, but I am also wary about people posting things and then editing them after people have commented on them, to change the original meaning, making themselves look better, or making other people look stupid.

So sorry. Re-reading anything you post right afterwards usually catches most errors.

If there is something you really want to change later, just comment me or send me a PM (Personal Message) or PhaseShift or JimTheFish. I have edited quite a few posts for people already, and deleted double posts etc., so it’s no trouble.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Wow, that’s impressive. Will be interesting to see how it goes from there – ie I’d expect Sundays to be quite busy. Ha! And there I was thinking we were nested into a big private sofa – and we’re actually in a goldfish bowl 😉

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 947 total)

The topic ‘Website comments’ is closed to new replies.