The Day of the Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor The Day of the Doctor

This topic contains 579 replies, has 88 voices, and was last updated by  nerys 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 551 through 580 (of 580 total)
  • Author
    Nightmare @nightmare

Any one know how the Doctor and Clara got out of the Doctor’s own time stream?  End of the episode “The Name of the Doctor” where we are introduced to John Hurt as The Doctor?  Been puzzling me for quite a while…

Anonymous @

Hi Nightmare and welcome,

The answer to your question will be somewhere on the Name of the Doctor Episode, under Forums and the Eleventh Doctor.  You posted your question under the Day of the Doctor.

I’m sure Bluesqueakpip answered that question on the right forum.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@nightmare – I also answered it on the Into the Dalek forum. Post 30918.

Nightmare @nightmare

Hi, thank you.

Thank you both, I hadn’t realised that, one of those little things that bugged me.

Seems like a friendly place this, I can’t believe I haven’t searched for a Doctor Who forum in the past……strange

Nightmare @nightmare

One thing I will say is that this episode is my favourite of all time, I really enjoy how the three Doctors go together their on screen chemistry is brilliant

nerys @nerys

I just watched this on Netflix (as contrasted with my previous viewings on Canada’s Space Channel). It was wonderful to see it in high definition, and commercial-free. I’d forgotten so much! As Nightmare noted, it was such a joy to see the three Doctors sparring with one another. There was a remarkable contrast yet cohesion between the three personalities, which I really enjoyed. The Moment and Clara had great scenes, as well … as did The Curator … or Doctor? Hmmm … just writing about it makes me want to watch again!

DoctorDoctorWho @doctordoctorwho

Hello, I’m new to these forums! I have been lurking for just under a year though 😛

I see now that the last post was in December, an awful amount of time ago, so for the really quite tremendous bump I must apologize.

I was re-watching The Day of the Doctor just a few moments ago and I thought about the scene where the three Doctors have a nice chat right after saving Gallifrey and I thought; “I wonder if off-screen there were other Doctors present?”.

As in perhaps ALL the Doctor’s went to the gallery to chat, and of course, after some time elapsed they all left but the remaining 3 we see on screen, nice thought.

Another thing I noticed is that in the Tower of London scene, 10 talks about how having 3 Doctors in one room will eventually cause anomalies.

So how come later on they’re all right to just sit down in one room and have a lovely little chat about the painting?

I appreciate how that is what some would call nitpicky, so my apologies for that, anywhom, thank you for reading if you did so and I hope to be a fairly active member of this forum, can’t wait till Series 9!

Kharis @kharis

By far my favorite episode to date.  This is really a perfect blend of excitement, character development, humor and intrigue.  It was entertaining for all ages and well-paced.

Anonymous @

Hi @doctordoctorwho

Don’t worry about bump threads, new ideas are good and people are mostly worried about avoiding spoilers so posting on the right thread is the best way to go.

Nice theory about all the doctors being together and we just didn’t get to see them. Off screen reasons are mostly why we didn’t see them all together at the end, but for onscreen reasons it makes perfect sense they would’ve been there. I’m officially adding that to my personal whoniverse canon now. Thx very fun to think about. 🙂

For explaining the possible paradoxes, DotD has Bad Wolf to explain how it happened without destroying the space time continuum.

But to explain the Curator scene, they might have been in a kind of void space at that time (like the void space in the BG story Warrior’s Gate). I think the time line where Gallifrey was destroyed ended and they were in the void space between switching over to the new timeline where Gallifrey was in the paintings.

Welcome to the DWF, hope to read more of your posts.

Loneshark @loneshark

So in this episode there are thirteen doctors at once. Does this mean there are thirteen different versions of the doctor roaming around time and space?

@loneshark

At least thirteen. Possibly twenty six. Possibly an infinite number of them.

Or possibly the entire population of Gallifrey consists of different incarnations of the Doctor. It’s just that most of them keep it a secret. 😉

Loneshark @loneshark

But if they all are different incarnations then why do they hate the doctor?

@loneshark

Check out the Dream Lord (Amy’s Choice) for the answer to that one. 😉

Loneshark @loneshark

Thanks Bluesqueak.

samiamuc @samiamuc

One thing I’ve been wondering is if the painting, Gallifrey Falls No More, could possibly be the actual Gallifrey, sicne they said they would freeze it in time, “Like a painting.

Pharell, Man! @pharellman

Episode brilliant. But why there was no classic Doctors (omitting Tom Baker, which who had really small role, but yes, great)? Really, even only Paul McGann would be great in episode like this, we’ve seen him only in movie and “The Night of The Doctor”. Oh c’mon! Sylvester McCoy still feel young! 😛

Pardethdakquithamilmun @pardethdakquithamilmun

Most excellent episode and by far my favourite.

I did have a thought spring up into my mind. This isn’t something that usually happens as I’m very articulate in paradoxes and time travel etc but my problem is this…

The doctors don’t remember the events of the “Day of the Doctor” however does Clara? And do the other humans who would be now randomly be in partnership to this weird looking alien race with big sicker and venom sacks in the tongue? I’m not sure if anything was mentioned in the capaldi episodes where there were rogue zygons though.

Any help would be much appriciated

“GALLIFREY STANDS!”

SeverusOswald @severusoswald

Okay, here’s my theory about the Day of the Doctor.

So, Hurt and Capaldi are a bit older than Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. It may just be a coincidence, but did anyone notice how Hurt repeatedly asked the other two about why they were so afraid of being grown-ups? And then they looked at him somewhat oddly? In the Time War, it was certainly an ageing experience. The Doctor was faced with an extremely tough and extremely grown-up decision. After that, he tried to put it behind him, and not dwell on it again. Well, perhaps the War Doctor is why they’re so afraid of growing up – they prefer to bounce cheerfully around space and time fixing planets, insisting on looking young and fresh as opposed to growing up and making tough decisions like that again. With each regeneration after Hurt, the Doctor gets younger, and more whimsical and childish. After The Day of the Doctor, however, they accept the War Doctor, accept that it wasn’t entirely his fault, and accept that we all have to make tough, and adult, decisions sometimes. Then Smith generated into Capaldi, became older and less childish and carefree. Could this mean anything?

‘All those years, shutting you out, pretending you didn’t exist … you were the Doctor on the day it wasn’t possible to get it right.’ — the Doctor.

‘When you love an ageless god who insists on the face of a twelve year old … never let him see the damage, and never, ever, let him see you age.’ — River Song

Anonymous @

@severusoswald

Sometimes it’s hard to read block text? So (someone once said this to me) paragraphs are your friend 🙂

I think you have it right.

And I love the quotes….just right.

PuroSolo

Anonymous @

@severusoswald

13? Really. My 14 year old never writes “somewhat” -it’s rather an odd expression for one so young.

Still, we are all anon here much like Dante was as he wandered into the 9th circle. Welcome!

PuroSolo

I am a very odd person! Also my teacher always encourages me to use words like ‘somewhat’, ‘therefor’, ‘whereas’, ‘moreover’ etc.

Anonymous @

ha! yes, my son is told this too.

There is a newer style used by writers these days which encourages a simple yet cohesive expression.

Words like ‘moreover’ and “furthermore” are great but I know of some who simply chuck ’em out.

Still, don’t listen to me!

I’m retired

*grins*

Hah!

@puroandson I would love to ‘chuck ’em out’, but I’m not allowed. Tell that to my teacher!

Anonymous @

@severusoswald

Oh no, teachers around here are sacrosanct.

I wouldn’t dare 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@severusoswald

my teacher always encourages me to use words like ‘somewhat’, ‘therefor’, ‘whereas’, ‘moreover’ etc.

All power to you and your teacher!

Words are wonderful, and a large vocabulary and the skill to deploy it flexibly and appropriately are valuable assets.  Conveying your meaning simply and clearly does not mean restricting your choice of words – for that purpose the more you have at your disposal the better. The main thing to avoid is giving people the impression that you have swallowed and are regurgitating a thesaurus or, still worse, resorting to ‘management speak’  🙂

As for being an ‘odd person’.  When I was around 12-13 I was told that I was ‘peculiar and talked like a book’ – and that was one of my friends; goodness knows what the others thought!  Despite being considered an oddity I cruised reasonably happily through my school career, and positively flourished afterwards, and I hope that the same is true for you.

@mudlark

Thank you! My friends nicknames for me are ‘Doctor Potter’ which I like and ‘Dictionary’, which is probably not a good sign. Oh well. I’ll do my best.

@mudlark

*friends’, sorry. They call me a dictionary but I can’t even get the grammar right.

nerys @nerys

OK, I just watched this episode again last night, and loved it once again. For me, it was a nearly perfect celebration of the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.

But I have one question (and I know I’m not the first to ask about this): Where does the War Doctor fall in the numbering system? I’m thinking he came between Paul McGann’s Doctor No. 8 and Chris Eccleston’s Doctor No. 9, correct? So shouldn’t the numbering of the Doctors have been changed to reflect this? Thus making Eccleston No. 10, Tennant No. 11, Smith No. 12, Capaldi No. 13 and now Whittaker No. 14? Or does that make the timeline more hopelessly complicated than it already is?

@nerys

Have you not seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo ?

The numbers weren’t changed because The War Doctor did not consider himself worthy of the lineage.

nerys @nerys

@pedant I guess I missed that. I know that Smith and Tennant’s Doctors mentioned they didn’t like to think of that incarnation of themselves, and Hurt’s Doctor mentioned not considering himself worthy of the title. But I thought he came around when they ended up saving Gallifrey (though they also noted that none of them would remember doing it). Thanks!

Viewing 30 posts - 551 through 580 (of 580 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.