Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 722 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by  wolfweed 3 hours, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 723 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    Missy @missy

@ichabodSheesh, gonna miss this crew no matter what comes after . . .

You and me both!

Still haven’t looked at the clips (old team clips I mean) must make some time. Thanks to all who contributed.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

I’m surprised the complete Series 10 is coming out so soon in the U.S. because 1) the Beeb has really dragged their heels on the American release of Series 10 Part 2, which comes out Sept. 10 here — I have a friend who doesn’t have BBC America and I can’t chat with him about anything past “Extremis” — and 2) I thought they would wait until after “Twice Upon a Time” aired so it would truly be complete, given how they handled the Complete Series 9 set.  (I am assuming this set includes “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”.)

On the other hand, does this mean “Twice Upon a Time” will be so big a deal it will require/warrant an elaborate standalone release the way “The Day of the Doctor” did rather than just being part of a box set?  Could it be feature length, to bookend “Deep Breath”?  So many possibilities!  😀

Missy @missy

@wolfweed:

Thank you, I can’t wait to get this.  I want the Extended edition.

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Russell T Davies received a lifetime achievement award at the Edinburgh Television Festival yesterday – which he fully deserves. He wasn’t too complementary about the government, or most of the industry!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/24/bbc-being-treated-with-contempt-says-russell-t-davies

Missy @missy

To hell with Murdock, the BBC must stay strong.

Thank you Craig.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@craig Last year, the 500th issue of Doctor Who Magazine featured the one-off comic “The Stockbridge Showdown”, in which the Twelfth Doctor teamed up with most of the comic-specific companions the magazine has featured over the years to stop a corrupt intergalactic businessman from taking control of the “Galactic Broadcasting Corporation”, or GBC for short.  😀

Lulu @lulu2001

Hello I went to the doctor who experience for my 16th birthday, and I thought my friend had bought me a black rubber wristband saying it’s bigger on the inside on the inside. It turns out she didn’t I was wondering if anyone who was going to it before it closes could send me one in the post since I asked the experience and they said they wouldn’t. I would be so grateful if anyone who is going sees the and would contact me. Fingers crossed

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Christel & Luke – Penultimate vid from the DW Experience…

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWho/videos/2027062783974405/

c n l

janetteB @janetteb

Little bit confused. The article @wolfweed links to states that Dr Who Experience has only been running in Cardiff for five years but over ten years ago now I took the boys to a Dr Who exhibition in Cardiff which I assumed was the Dr Who Experience. building was not the same as I recall though. I have photos of K.9 and the obligatory fridge magnet to prove it..

cheers
    Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

@janetteb  The Doctor Who Exhibition Cardiff was situated in the Red Dragon Centre, Cardiff Bay. The museum opened December 2005 and was closed on 27 March 2011. In July 2012 the above-mentioned Doctor Who Experience opened…….

old cardiff

Today’s Final Who Experience Tour with Christel & Luke

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

P Cap’s message to The Doctor Who Experience…

Missy @missy

@wolfweed: Thank you. I’m going to miss this man so much. *sniff*

Missy

aqassad123 @aqassad123

if the dying master turns his tardis into a paradox machine and suppressed his regeneration in to missy could he stay as the master

wolfweed @wolfweed

PropStore @propstore

There’s a Dalek and Sylvester McCoy’s hat in auction now… they’re down at the BFI IMAX in London if you want to see them in person too 🙂

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/78/lot/18195/ </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/78/lot/18194/</span>

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

For all the Big Finish fans, the core cast of An Adventure in Time and Space are going to reprise their roles for Big Finish.

Could be very interesting.

Missy @missy

<span class=”useratname”>@jimthefish: Indeed!</span>

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    McCotton @mccottonthedoctorfan

@wolfweed So if I read that right, they’re doing “Shada” the same way they did the Second Doctor’s “Power of the Daleks” almost?

I’m actually mixed on this.  I’m glad it’s going to be finished.  And I’ll definitely check it out and add it to my collection.  But, at the same time, I have Big Finish’s version, with the Eighth Doctor.  And I really like that one.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Missy @missy

Fascinating.

Thank you @wolfweed

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Missy @missy

@wolfweed:

Thank you. I want the extended edition. Like the cover.

wolfweed @wolfweed

TARDIS gets a starring role in tonight’s W1A…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05dph71

w1a

Missy @missy

@wolfweed:

Thanks.

Missy

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Hi everyone, it’s nice to be talking on this blog again. I haven’t really said anything of much importance lately. I don’t know why but for some reason I just kept making less and less time to type here. I feel awful for that because I really do enjoy talking to everyone and typing out my thoughts. The reason I’m typing on this thread is because Torchwood has returned for a 5th season. I don’t know if this has been mention here yet but there is a new set of radio plays being released. It’s being called the 5th season because it takes place after Miracle Day. I didn’t hear about this till this week so I missed parts one and two being released but part three will come out in February, 2018. Again, it’s nice to really talk to everyone again.

janetteB @janetteb

@gamergirlavatar Always nice to hear from you, and thanks for the Torchwood news. I go through phases where I don’t post much, but I check in regularly – usually when I should be working, like right now for instance.
    Cheers
    Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed
    gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

Thanks @janetteb it’s always nice to hear from you as well. You’re welcome for the Torchwood news, I was happy to mention it, and to just talk about Torchwood. I have to mention I smiled when I read your post, when you said you check in when you should be working. That’s what I did.

wolfweed @wolfweed

I was jammy enough to get a couple of pictures published in this today…

doctor-who-fan-artwork-book 100-illustrated-adventures

100 ads

Conchobarre @conchobarre

@wolfweed WOW! That’s so awesome.  Which episode? Are you in the article?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@conchobarre

Thanks! No, I’m not in the article. I’m The Tenth Planet & Battlefield…

Sad news:

Paddy Russell has died…

p r h d

janetteB @janetteb

Well done @wolfweed. I hope the book makes an appearance on “local” bookshelves. I will look out for it when I next get to the city.

Thanks for the link about Paddy Russell. Interesting.

Cheers
    Janette

Anonymous @

@wolfweed

Thank you for the link also and thank you for sharing about your art work. That’s exciting news!

😀   : D

From, Thane

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed

Well done you! That’s very exciting. 🙂

Missy @missy

@wolfweed;

How wonderful.  Good luck and thank you for letting us know.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    MissRori @missrori

This looks to have just broken this morning:

Dudley Simpson, Doctor Who composer, 1922-2017

MissRori @missrori

As per usual, next week’s Children in Need telethon will feature a scene from “Twice Upon a Time”.  I would have preferred an original short like some of the earlier Christmas shows received, especially since Twelve had so few supplementary shorts, but what can you do?  😉

Doctor Who Christmas special scene to be unveiled…

(Remember, no discussion of the clip except under BBC Approved Spoilers)  🙂

janetteB @janetteb

@missrori thanks for the link and also the sad news re’ Dudley Simpson. I was very disappointed about the lack of Minisodes and such additional material during the more recent years, BBC cost cutting evidently but at a cost.

Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

Murray Gold has written the music for every series since 2005.

What wonderful music it has been. I wonder if he will write for the coming series?

Missy

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@missy

Given that there’s been no definite announcement that he’s leaving, I’d guess that it’s currently ‘in negotiation’. Quite possibly Chris Chibnall wants a musical shake-up to go with the gender shake-up, and the two of them are seeing if they can go with what the other wants. I wouldn’t say ‘no’ to a musical shake-up; I’ve got CDs and CDs of Murray’s Who scores, and you can tell how much his music has developed and changed through the ten years. He always seems to have the most fun with the first year of the new Doctor, so if he can treat Chibnall’s Who as almost a new commission, that might be invigorating for his music.

Or it may just be money they’re arguing over. 🙂 Cutting down to ten episodes suggests that Chibbs chose quality over a cut in budget-per-episode – and after ten years, I bet Murray is now bloody expensive. Chibbs may be considering whether it’s time to employ some up and coming (and therefore cheaper) young composer.

But if Murray does decide that ten years is long enough, and it’s time to move on to new projects, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There’s a time on any project when you realise that you haven’t got anything left to say artistically; at which point, it’s time to move on. And let the next generation have a crack. 😀

But I will say that we had exactly these same rumours when RTD left and Steven Moffat took over. Murray may well treat a new producer as a new commission, and takes time to consider things.

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:

I must get the CDs  of Murray Gold, I especially enjoy his score for “Heaven Sent.”

Incidentally, the use of one of the melodies from the above in The Doctor Falls, when he’s blowing up the Cybermen I thought a nice touch. Such a beautifully poignant piece.

I’ve no quarrel with any new composer, their music may be just as delightful. However, I must admit that it would be the last straw for me.

By the way, I hadn’t heard any rumours about MG leaving, I simply thought that as everyone else I like is jumping ship, he might too. *sigh*

Missy

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @missy

Ms Pip you and my mum are thinking alike!

Yes I think that a new composer would actually be good (providing as you say @missy that they ARE actually good) but Mum was explaining just how hard (I think she said “blod*y hard”) it is to keep on delivering great scores. Even delivering one large commission for the building of a controversial building for the AUstralian War Memorial or a composition for the anniversary of a terrible event in our history like the Pt Arthur massacre in Tasmania brings with it a lot of stress because there are many stakeholders involved in the outcome of the composition and so you have to try and please everybody.

I think Who fits in that category where it’s difficult to get started and there’s only so much stress you can take before you need a really big break. I don’t think Murray Gold is doing all this alone anymore -there are a number of other composers (post grad or PhD in composition) ‘helping out’ but I don’t think he would get a break and also there would be other work Gold would do during the last  12 years  which helps alleviate stress and provide more creative clues to bring in fresh themes -and production rooms for hire which requires massive dosh and then the orchestra’s rehearsals which Gold is in on even though he doesn’t necessarily conduct I suppose?

Anyway it’s exciting though if it’s completely new and I think I’m one who says “if it aint broke fix it anyway” because that’s what keeps things fresh and alive -in my opinion! 🙂

Missy @missy

@thane15:

That’s where we differ. If it ain’t broken, no need to fix it. Makes no sense at all.

Like white goods, they still work well, but you fancy a new one, so out they/it goes. Wasteful in my opinion.

MG  also had this uncanny knack  of fitting the music to the actor/actress, at least I thought so.

Of course, MG might have had enough and who can blame him.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

I think you know me and mum well enough that we actually DO agree with the statement you said!

Sure, I think composer’s can ‘change up’ the music and also need a rest from it! Mum knows this very well. It was her job to know this so I think it’s not unreasonable to say “with music if it aint broken fix it” because it means simply giving it fresh eye and giving poor Murray  a rest.

With what you’re saying about “broken fridges” we agree. Mum and Dad never buy things until they fall apart. Last year remember the kitchen thing in our house? Mum had the kitchen replaced and renovated and the fridge was from when HER mum gave her THEIR old fridge -that’s how old it was. The stove -only 1/2 of it worked and then the oven wasn’t working properly for years! Then the dishwasher stuffed up and for 2 years Dad and I were washing up -and I actually enjoyed doing that. The guys who fixed up the kitchen couldn’t believe that we wouldn’t go out and buy a new one when Mum said “the duct tape worked for 10 years and I was happy with the fridge it was fine and working -except for the door!”.

So absolutely this idea of let’s go and buy something new because we “can” is a silly idea but Mum was saying that these things are built to be obsolete whereas when Grandma was married the fridge and washing machine they got when they married was expected to last the next 40 years. Grandma’s fridge was 55 years old! Can you believe it? Amaxing.

Anyway , sorry I’ve hogged the new page and I apologise.

Thank you for reading,

Thane and MUm

janetteB @janetteb

Like @thane15 I agree with you @missy re white goods and many other things but creative people do “run dry” especially when working on the same stuff. This is why Moffat moved on, before he ran out of ideas and began to recycle. He was already beginning to do so and though I am sure that he had a lot more to give he recognised that he was exhausting his creative potential. If he stayed on then his work would loose it’s brilliance and become increasingly repetitive. Brilliant though Moffat has been, no one can maintain that critical edge forever when doing essentially the same thing. Replacing things that work like White goods is not really a good analogy for artists/writers/creatives and I am sure that the next series will work far better than a new washing machine/fridge/kettle. (I included the later because our last, fancy expensive kettle barely lasted 18 months. Grrrrr)

Cheers
    Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 723 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.