Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 1,043 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,044 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@missy @janetteb

Mum would  agree with the kettles. About  a year ago she bought a small saucepan for $5 which is just used for heating water. The stove was once gas and it heated up fast. Now with an induction stove for 2 cups  it takes less time. All that gunk in the kettle isn’t in the saucepan!

I think it can be said that the creative cleverness of a composer and writer like you said do need to be recirculated occasionally b ut  then if Pip says if  it could just be a discussion with a new head writer to see they’re on the same page then that would be a good idea -for the media and social media too. I like Murray Gold and saw some good interviews with him -he’s a quiet, humble man in my opinion

Thane

janetteB @janetteb

@thane15 We have resorted to the saucepan too now.

I really like Murray Gold’s music too but would not be surprised if he is ready to “move on” too. At the same time I think Chibnell does need to tread carefully. He is making big changes but some things must remain, or it ceases to feel like the same show. Music is more integral to the feel of the series than many people realise. It sets the mood, the tone and helps tell the story. (You Mum could say this so much better. Music is not my area.) Music has always been integral to the feel of Dr Who and was in part responsible for its success in the early (BG) days because it conveyed an “otherworldy” sense. M.Gs music is more “grounded” but it has a strong emotive note and has been equally essential to the success of AG Who.

Cheers
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

@missy Unfortunately the soundtrack releases stopped after Series 8 so no “Heaven Sent” music for you… 🙁 Just another example of how poorly the Twelfth Doctor’s era was served….

Hellsingfan01 @hellsingfan01

what do people think of the doctor’s new look i personally can’t make my mind up if it’s the best outfit or the worst

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/FB3E/production/_98681346_jodie-whittaker-as-the-doct.jpg

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@hellsingfan01

We’re discussing it over on ‘BBC Approved Spoilers’.

Please don’t post pics on other threads: some people like to know as little as possible before the episode is broadcast.

Hellsingfan01 @hellsingfan01

@bluesqueakpip thanks for letting me know

Missy @missy

@thane15:

Same here. We had a fridge/freezer and air conditioner, which lasted over 20 years!

I also agree that Murray may need a break, even though I shall miss him.

@hellsingfan01:

As for the the JW outfit? She should audition for the Wiggles.

The word ‘ludicrous’ comes to mind. The new series is getting better and better!

@janetteb:

Yes, you are right. Even the best of the best (in my opinion) must run out of ideas sooner or later.

I’ve found that too. The cheaper the kettle the longer it lasts.

@missrori:

That’s fine, I can hear it on YT and have frequently. *grins*

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Missy @missy

@wolfweed;

Thanks for that. I shall investigate.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

The series 10 boxset doesn’t seem to have ‘Friend from the Future’ in, on or under it….

fftf

I hope you taped it off the telly…

Missy @missy

Never even heard of it.

Missy

@missy

It was the promo scene for Bill that the BBC used; it was broadcast as a scene from the first episode.
    However, it was filmed before the first episode, and when they did the final editing the promo scene just didn’t work. It didn’t fit within the main story of ‘The Pilot’.

So it’s now a standalone scene: I suspect Steven Moffat has decided that its status is now ‘promo’, and they often don’t include those in the boxsets.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@missy  @bluesqueakpip

There is a documentary that features the filming of ‘Friend from the Future’ very heavily. But it itself is not in the boxset. Boxsets have always been good to include all the extra bits & bobs in the past. The trailers don’t seem to be in it either, & those have always been in boxsets before…

The boxset is a slight letdown. It has a whole disc of cutdown ‘The Fan Show’ rather than new material…

There is a good little docu’ about the finale and another good one about Rona Munro, though…

MissRori @missrori

Another thing bugging me about the boxset — why did they decide to bring it out now instead of after Christmas along with “Twice Upon a Time”?

Could it be that “Twice Upon a Time” is a surprise feature-length or two-part episode?  🙂

Adrain Smith @adrainsmith

Catch the full episodes of doctor who TV Series and get the latest breaking news, exclusive videos , pictures and updates online FANdemonium Network.

Missy @missy

@adrainsmith:

Thank you for that.

Missy

Missy @missy

The Christmas special usually appears on the next series.  Such as Mysterio is on this boxset. One assumes that this years CS will be on series 11. I shall buy it seperately this time.

Friend from the Future I realised was the opening, when Bill asks (under fire) “What’s a Dalek?”

I didn’t know it had a name. This was supposed to be on an extended edition – I heard SM say so. If not, there is always YT.

My Box set is on it’s way.

Missy

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:

It’s such a shame, because it’s one of the funniest clips in the Pilot.

SM mentions that he didn’t include it, because he introduces Bill in the first scene anyway. So Z bit like double dipping – he didn’t day that I did. *(grins*

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Lots of as yet unseen costume designs…

wolfweed @wolfweed

tardigrade @tardigrade

@wolfweed Looks interesting. I see there’s some criticism of the animation style, but for the purpose of bridging elements of the story where there is no footage, I think it’s fine. In fact, it makes the animation look more like it’s a product of the time when the rest was filmed, rather than a modern day animation studio, so there’s a certain appropriateness to that.

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Shada is now available to download…

Missy @missy

@wolfweed;

Saw this on another forum I belong to (NOT Doctor Who) 54 years?

Happy Birthday.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed
    janetteB @janetteb

Yes indeed. Yesterday was Dr Who Day. Unfortunately we were deeply immersed in exam revision and so only acknowledged the anniversary with a token packet of off the shelf Aussie style Jam biscuits which have a slight resemblance to Jammy Dodgers. Sigh. Hopefully we will manage better next year. (I only realised it was the anniversary when someone at writers group asked about the assignation of J.f.K and I explained that the only reason I knew the date was because it was the anniversary of Dr Who and then I looked down at my laptop and realised that it was the 23rd.)

so Happy belated Who Day everyone..

cheers
    Janette

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

The 23rd was Doctor Who Day and the birthday of Clara Oswald (born 23 November 1986), so belated birthday greetings!

Missy @missy

@janetteb;

I’ve tasted those biscuits you speak of, and they don’t tast like Jammy Dodgers at all.

Still at least I know where I can get them.

@countscarlioni.

Well spotted, I add my congratulations Clara.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy our local supermarket no longer stocks the genuine article and I did not have time to make them so we had to make do with the poor substitute.

Cheers
    Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

Yesterday’s classic ITV f*** up…

ITV News Report and interview with Tom Baker which mistakingly included animation from Ian Levine’s fan project rather than from the official release.

Missy @missy

@wolfweed;

Nice one, thanks for that.

It always amuses me that when anyone asks another actor or actress, what they think of a female Doctor, all of them say it’s a wondeful idea? What did they expect them to say” It’s a rotten idea?”If that’s what they really think.

Actor’s and actresses are always acting in front of the microphone and camera – it’s like an automic switch clicks on – so you can never truly believe everything they say.

Missy

Missy @missy

@janetteb:

Our supermarket used to stock them, but that didn’t last. However, there is a shop not far from us that only sells British sweets and other products from the UK – they stock them. They also stock , Walnut whips, Pontefract Cakes, Sharps toffee, Fox’s Glacier Mints, Murray Mints, Marmite (the good stuff, not made in New Zealand which is revolting) – all the yummy stuff you can’t find in Australian shops *sigh*

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Out on Thursday…

dwm 521

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I have to say I just don’t like the coat. And I think largely on the fact that it’s too costumey looking. Would much prefer it to have looked like a ‘found’ object. Won’t someone think of the cosplayers? (Not that I’m ever planning to cosplay as 13. Although I’m not ruling it out….)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish I’m sure they’ll be churning out copycat coats in China or India by the thousand before the end of the year – will probably come with the braces and T-shirt too. I like how DW Magazine put a little pic of Tom Baker on the cover to remind you where the colours for the T-shirt come from.

I’m kinda more interested in how they deal with the earrings. Does the Doctor decide to get her ears pierced? Did she regenerate with them already pierced?

As with seeing Whittaker previously in ‘Attack the Block and ‘Adult Life Skills’, the more I see of her, the more I think I’ll like her a lot. She looks like someone I could easily have as a good friend to just hang out with, without ever having any male/female, will they/won’t they nonsense come into it. I’m hoping that will lend her universal appeal.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@jimthefish

I was thinking much the same thing. It may be a different thing to see it on screen though. Also it might develop and change very quickly (Matt Smith’s first tweed jacket was binned after his first story…).

I can’t say if similar coats are available on the high street. (Weirdly) An unofficial coat appeared almost immediately. @craig – Yes – Made in China! At around £75 it’s cheaper than the official Capaldi ones, at least…

Shop for:  doctor who 13th doctor costume coat

unofficial

The Doctor’s coat can’t really have that much impact on the quality of the show, can it?(!)

coats can

@craig – Good point! Looking forward to the scene where she goes to get her ear pierced!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed I think a blast or two of the sonic may do the trick.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig — I think you’re probably spot on as to the vibe we’ll hopefully get from Whittaker. There’s something of your quirky best friend in first year of art school vibe about her.

@wolfweed — Yes, it’ll be interesting to see how they do the earrings thing. Maybe she’ll just arrive with them on a la Troughton with his gear. Maybe she’ll do the piercing herself. If the TARDIS can knock out sonic screwdrivers, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be beyond it.

That’s a nice photoshop job on Colin’s coat btw. Strangely suits him. Ah, what might have been. Mind you, it’s quite Capaldi-esque in a way.

@jimthefish

She wasn’t wearing earrings during the regeneration sequence, but it looked like they’d styled the hair to cover the ears (and the presumably already made piercings).

In a Whoniverse where nanowotsits can incorporate gas-masks into your face, I’m sure they have self-piercing earrings. 🙂

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig and @wolfweed

Yep, I’m sure AbbyShot and Magnoli Clothiers etc are all over it even as we speak. I suppose what I was thinking was that it seems a shame to create something so specific that it allows the cosplay companies to have something of a monopoly. Capaldi’s outfits and Smith’s early costumes were ideal for the DIY cosplayers. I always thought it quite cool at conventions etc when you saw hand-me-down tweeds and Crombies and old pin-striped suits being put to a good use. In fact, I seem to remember that being part of Capaldi’s reasoning for his costume choice?

@jimthefish

Not a fashionista myself, but I think you’re not comparing like with like. Men’s fashions tend to change rather more slowly than women’s fashions and women’s fashions are often seriously short-run.

If I grabbed a coat from a charity shop (or wherever the Whittaker Doctor steals her clothes from), I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to discover I’d lifted a short run piece of transient fashion.

Which may be the look that the design team is going for. 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@craig @wolfweed @jimthefish

When it comes to the ear rings, presumably the Tardis has the means to manufacture the requisite jewellery, but a sonic screwdriver or hi-tech Tardis intervention is not strictly necessary to account for the ear piercing; all that is needed is some kind of antiseptic to swab the ears, a sterile needle, something to mark the spot(s) on the ear lobes and a steady hand plus, if you are a terrestrial mortal, sleepers to keep the holes open until they heal – but the last might not be needed for Time Lords, when the expenditure of a teensy bit of regeneration energy could speed the healing process up.  I just hope that the Doctor does not ever decide that tattoos would enhance his/her appearance (a personal prejudice).

As for the costume as a whole, I think that @bluesqueakpip is probably right, and that this particular look will not survive long. My first impression was that it looked a bit gimmicky, though I like the coat, but I can well imagine the Doctor thinking ‘Wheee! now that I’m regenerated as a woman (again?) I can dress as I like without looking out of place among the pudding brains’.*

* Though, given the Time Lords’ notion of formal dress on their native planet, I can well understand the Doctor’s usual instinct would be to tone things down (the 6th and 7th incarnations excepted).

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip — I think you’re probably right but I just can’t help but feel that doesn’t help the skint parents of the ardent cosplayer who’s wanting to do the 13th Doc on a budget. (It’s not without precedent, of course. The whole JNT era must have been a nightmare for cosplayers.) And the cynic in me can’t help but think that part of the motivation is the lovely licensing money the Beeb will get from official costumiers.

@mudlark — Maybe the earrings are going to be sonic. Wearable technology a la the sonic shades. How cool would that be?

Mudlark @mudlark

@jimthefish

Sonic earrings?  We can only hope! The ultimate in cool, and so discreet 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It’s been a while, but I think @jimthefish wins the “Theories even more insane than what’s actually happening” prize this week, or month, for the sonic earrings.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig

Very kind but I think @mudlark also has to takes some of the blame credit

wolfweed @wolfweed

dr who xmas special threatened lawsuit after classic characters kin appearance

Apparently this lawsuit is ‘fake news’ but interesting nonetheless…

mh

wolfweed @wolfweed

A very brief excerpt from the DWM interview on the costume.

Sounds to me like they decided from a very early stage that off-the-peg wouldn’t work, tried a few bits and bobs that were off-the-peg, then said ‘no, really doesn’t work’.

I do get the ‘affordable cosplaying’ viewpoint, but personally, I’d reckon that when you have to dress an alien who is wearing a female body for the first time in several thousand years, the costume designer is entitled to go for something bespoke.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,044 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.