Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 1,043 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,044 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave

The BBC owns the trademark for the TARDIS. Furthermore, the TARDIS has changed its outward appearance before – Baker2 and Capaldi – but only for a short period each time.

Basically, I can imagine the BBC signing off again on a temporary change to their highly valuable trademarked property, but not on anything permanent.

It’s possible that the storyline is heading in a direction where the Doctor is losing all her ‘props’ – Gallifrey, Time Lord and now the Police Box – in a way that symbolises the past she now knows she’s lost. But if that’s the direction I’d expect it to end with the Police Box back as she gets her sense of self and identity (what you’re describing as authority) back.

@geoffers @blenkinsopthebrave

To be honest, the reason given for the original rumour (police box is to be changed because of the way the police are perceived by the public) sounds like something someone’s made up for its click bait value.

The whole reason the BBC still has the trademark was because the Metropolitan Police lost their case that the iconic blue box is a ‘police’ box. The ruling was that the general public will, if they see a police box, assume it’s the TARDIS. 🙂

I reckon it’s either a pile of rubbish, a rumour aimed at smoking out a leaker in the production team or something happening in one or two episodes being released because it’s guaranteed to get people talking about the new series.

cartertorn @cartertorn

Hi! My name is Carter, and for my research project for my English 1302 class I would like to research the Doctor Who community, and this forum seemed like a good place to start! I will simply be documenting common phrases and forms of communication of fans of the show. If you are willing to have your username in my research, please fill out this form! (Also, if this does not belong here, someone please let me know where something like this could go.)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScU2HJiOsfMNc4Zp6Mp57j38Y31AoS5LDU1WstJu0Ks3sKICQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks,

Carter.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@blenkinsopthebrave having just read the article in question it implies the author actually questions the authenticity of the rumour and if “true” it may only be for a specific storyline. Ok Chibbers has admittedly walked over Whoverse history but is it not what previous show runners have done both BG and AG the Cartmel Plan comes to mind though my understanding it was also part of the reason the show was cancelled. Also I seem to remember they have on the odd occasion “tried” to fix the chameleon circuit(LOGOPOLIS story) so if a storyline involves the temporal fixing of the tardises chameleon circuit its not totally unreasonable, in fact I seem to remember in the Baker years there was a season  or a series of stories where they traveled without the tardis.

geoffers @geoffers

@bluesqueakpip

“It’s possible that the storyline is heading in a direction where the Doctor is losing all her ‘props’ – Gallifrey, Time Lord and now the Police Box – in a way that symbolises the past she now knows she’s lost. But if that’s the direction I’d expect it to end with the Police Box back as she gets her sense of self and identity (what you’re describing as authority) back.”

i’m okay with it happening this way. a functioning chameleon circuit could be used in so many creative ways. but chibnall has already sort of done the losing the tardis bit, in ‘the ghost monument.’ having it just not available is a part of quite a few stories already, so i really don’t see any point to losing it, and having it no longer look like a police box… unless it is used as a “prop” in a judoon court proceeding, in its original form? hmm… lol, maybe i should have thought about the possibilities more, before becoming concerned! (although i really doubt the police box would ever go away for good.)

@blenkinsopthebrave

i don’t think chibnall would permanently get rid of it, either. i think (i hope) his plan is just to play around with established who lore, and change things up during his run, only, and that by the time he’s ready to leave, all will be returned to “normal.” and even if he does blow it up, to an extent, then the next showrunner will just restore the status quo?

fingers crossed! but i’m judging his time as showrunner a bit less harshly, lately, on a rewatch. it really isn’t that different, in concept, from the others, it’s just a different execution of the idea. and that’s keeping it a bit fresh, if also a bit challenging…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Is this a spoiler.? if so, profound apologies. Hopefully not.

Barrowman Returns For “Who” Xmas Special

geoffers @geoffers

@blenkinsopthebrave

for some, yes. might want to @craig about it?

not for me, facebook already opened that bag, and that omnisexual space-cat is definitely out of the bag! 😀

@blenkinsopthebrave and @geoffers

The not-always-good Captain is front and centre in one of the BBC publicity photos, so it’s now as official as it gets.

Missy @missy

Good grief!

Whilst they are at it, why not change the title of the show to The Gallifreyan and have done with it!😠

Missy.

Well here in good old Blighty we finally have a time as well as a date for this years Doctor Who Special New Years Day at 6:45pm

Waris Hussein, the director of the very first episode of Who, “An Unearthly Child” in 1963 (along with another 10 episodes during the Verity Lambert years) turned 82 yesterday.

For those who don’t know, he was born in India, and arrived in England at the age of 9 when his parents emigrated. His mother worked at the BBC reading the news in Hindi, along with translating Shakespeare into Urdu and Hindi. Waris joined the BBC at the age of 21 and went on to become a prolific TV director.

Sacha Dhawan played him in the wonderful “An Adventure in Space and Time”.

I often wish I could thank him personally for the magical experience of watching “An Unearthly Child” and introducing me to Doctor Who all those years ago at the tender age of 12.

The BBC reports that the Christmas special will be available in a 4K format.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55430997

I suppose if I had a mammoth High Definition TV it might make a difference, but as I will be watching it on my 15 year-old 22 inch TV with increasingly aging Blenkinsop eyes, it probably won’t make a difference. But since I am totally happy watching something with the technical proficiency of “The Web Planet” it doesn’t really matter.

In fact, I must watch “The Web Planet” again. I always loved the Zarbi.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave I only just saw the item about Waris Hussein. He was especially talented given the obstacles he had to overcome to succeed at the BBC at that time. Really liked the portrayal of him in An Adventure in Space and Time.

We watch through a projector or if I am watching things while on the exercise bike, on son’s monitor so the 4k will not be noticed here either. We recently watched The Tomb of the Cybermen for a podcast. I always enjoy re watching the older stories. (and the new ones)

Cheers

Janette

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Hmmm been recently looking at big finish who, as I’m a bit of audiobook fan in the main but have issues with their pricing. Yes I know big finish productions are more audioplays rather than audiobooks but most of their productions are at best 2hrs or under and the ones that are more than that are priced considerably more and to be honest my generally preference is for an audiobook to be at least 6hrs especially if I’m driving extended periods.The majority of the 1-2 hr stories are in the £15-20 price range which makes for an expensive propersition for multiple purchases.

guy @sparkycherr

I’m doing a cancer research run in honour of 10 weeks since Elisabeth Sladen passed away in 2 weeks. please donate or share if you can 🙂 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sparkycherry?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=sparkycherry&utm_campaign=pfp-email&utm_term=04e52d62fae14c59997e470d88129c37.

I see The Guardian has started the old who’s the next Doctor guessing game…

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/22/from-riz-ahmed-to-michaela-coel-who-should-be-the-next-doctor-who

@toinfinityandbepond Yes, there were some great suggestions in the comments. Fortunately, there is a huge pool of talented actors in Britain.

I think the real question, though, is who will be the new show runner. It has to be someone who can write humour effortlessly, someone who can write action as well as drama, and someone who can do puzzles. On the basis of current British TV, I’m not sure who that might be. Some names spring to mind, like David Mitchell, Mackenzie Crook, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, but none of them cover all those bases. Who nose?

Have been giving more thought to who could be the Doctor and who could be the show runner. Keep in mind “Dectectorists” and “Worzel Gummidge”.

So, Mackenzie Crook as the show runner and Toby Jones as the Doctor.

Think about it. Mackenzie Crook can write for adults and for children effortlessly. And can do fantasy effortlessly.

Toby Jones can do…anything…effortlessly.

And they work together.

Yes, I know, Toby Jones has played the “Dream Lord”. But that should not be an impediment, but rather an opportunity to come up with a creative explanation.

janetteB @janetteb

@toinfinityandbepond and @blenkinsopthebrave Saw the article this morning. some interesting suggestions though most  I am unfamiliar with. I have been thinking that Michaela Coel would be an interesting candidate but suspect she has bigger things on her plate, as with Phoebe Waller-Bridge. (Which is a shame because I suspect that both have that Doctorish quality) They might take over as joint show runners however. Now that would be interesting. My choice for Doctor would have been Sacha Dhawan but he is out of the running now. ( I still think he would have been better as the Doctor than the Master.)

I like the Mackenzie Crook/ Toby Jones suggestion. Toby Jones does indeed seem to be able to do anything. I only just caught up with Dectectorists. What a delightful series. It is one of those that I instantly know I will watch again and again and again.

Not sure about David Mitchell as a potential show runner as I believe he does not like Dr Who. Ah well I guess nobody is perfect.

My suggested show runner or runners would be Simon Pegg and Jessica Haynes. (Spaced is another series that i have only just discovered and will watch again, and again.)

Cheers

Janette

@blenkinsopthebrave it’s not as if they haven’t cast an actor that’s appeared in the show previously for example Colin Baker player a Galifreyan Gaurd in the Tom Baker era as I remember or was it during Peter Davison’s stint. Though some might say that would not be necessarily be a recommendation though you may remember Capaldi also previously starred as a key character in the Pompeii episode

Missy @missy

@blenkinsopthebrave

Hello everyone. I have been very quiet, but have read most of your posts – except for the one above???

Frankly, I have reached the point where I don’t mind who plays the Doctor, as long as it’s a male actor and British.

If this makes me sexist, hard cheese. *grins*

Missy

At this stage it is all conjecture, of course. I have no idea of who he is.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/27/olly-alexander-tipped-to-be-the-next-doctor-who

TRAILER at last!

Well, very short teaser, actually. But even a tiny sip of water is welcome after a long time in the desert.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave thanks for the link. I would have preferred them to say, “smallest adventure yet”, but other than that was welcome. Hopefully the “biggest adventure yet” is just advertising hyperbole and what we get is just a collection of good stories, average stories and maybe, one or two brilliant stories and Gallifrey is restored or was trashed in an alternative time line. (I did not watch the New Year’s Special so maybe that has already happened and I am behind.)

cheers

Janette

@janetteb

From what I read somewhere, the 8 episodes aren’t separate, but are connected in some way.

Let’s just say my expectations are…subdued.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  Thanks for that. I needed some Who news and I guess we got a tiny wee glimpse of what’s to come. Has anyone heard when?  We have to wait for so long and I do wait ,sometimes patiently, sometimes anxiously for each new series. Of course this gap was longer because of Covid so what can ya do.

I really don’t know what to expect but I just hope its a fun ride.

@janetteb  I totally agree with you! Some small, medium and large episodes and an arc that leads to lots of bonkers theories until we find out we were wrong.

Stay safe.

Have been reading a bit more about season 13 (no spoilers though). It seems that they are going to jettison the separate story structure in favour of one story told over 8 episodes. I am assuming that this will re-engage with the consequences of The Timeless Children.

Since all we have been given so far is a 30 second teaser, it would be nice if we were told when we are likely to see season 13.

p.s. Since the end of season 12 reveals the Doctor to be the Timeless Child, I hope season 13 answers the question of why the episode was called (as I recall @bluesqueakpip pointing out) The Timeless Children.

@blenkinsopthebrave oooo what places is this you have been reading. If accurate I wonder if it may be something similar to The key of time season where the adventures were linked stories which all had the underlining storyline but individual stories or if it’s going to be essentially one long story like most of the early BG stories. This move could have been prompted if the rumours are true that this will be Jodie’s last “full” season followed by some specials allowing for another big build up to the changeover to a new doctor.

So,It’s offical.

Chibbers and Jodie leaving in 2022

@toinfinityandbepond yup both Jodie and Chibbers according to digital spy the article also says the next series is only 6 episodes if I’m reading things right +2 specials(christmas and spring) which I think are already in the can, with a further special (aka Jodies finale) later in the year as part of the bbc centenary celebrations . Why am I having deja-vue oh isn’t this how Tennant went out.

Missy @missy

Both leaving?

Whoopee! The best news I’ve had for a long time.

Missy

</div>

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Is this the time to release a really bitter long form post entitled “F*** Chris Chibnall, and all his works”?

Sorry about Whittaker – what might have been,eh?

janetteB @janetteb

My reactions, were sorry when I saw that Jodie is leaving, elation when I read the small print that Chibbers is leaving. Of course the new show runner might be worse and there were some good episodes scattered through the last two series but I disliked the overall arc. The Timeless Children was too much too soon. Played out for longer I could have bought it but destroying Gallifrey felt like it was just stomping on Moffat and the Day of the Doctor. If he rights that in the series much will be forgiven but  I am not hopeful.

I do wish that Jodie Whittaker was staying for one more season without Chibbers but I respect that they are friends and also that she has a career to consider. Dr Who might not do her as bigger favour as it did for David Tennant and Matt Smith. the show does seem to have passed it’s zenith culturally.

So interesting times now waiting to see who will replace both. I assume they will decide on the new showrunner first who will be the one to chose the new Doctor.

Cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@phaseshift et al

Is this the time to release a really bitter long form post entitled “F*** Chris Chibnall, and all his works”?

Sorry about Whittaker – what might have been,eh?

My sentiments exactly and I to was wondering if it’s time for an examination of the Chibs era. Possibly best to wait to until s13 in case there’s a dramatic rise in quality. I have my doubts and like @blenkinsopthebrave I’m less than enthusiastic about this whole ‘linked story’ thing. It feels like Chibs is planning to end his rein with his very own Trial of a Time Lord.

For my money, the Chibs era (so far) has neither been as awful as the NMDs have tried to make out nor as brilliantly groundbreaking as the JodiStans would have us believe. I tend to put it on a par with late Colin Baker/early McCoy. I’m glad it’s out there and that there are people who are into it but I’ve found it largely charmless — I haven’t even managed to summon the willpower to watch Revolution of the Daleks yet. Like the above-mentioned eras, there are great ideas and isolated moments of greatness but it’s mostly been dragged down by an over-arching sense of half-arsed mediocrity. And what’s struck me most about the Chibs era is the combination of really long production gaps/reduction in episode count and a disinclination to fill those gaps with other, sanctioned but fan-led, material. Even during the Wilderness Years, the show had a more vibrant public profile than it does at the moment. The fact that it’s been the most politically conservative era of the show, despite trying to appear otherwise, hasn’t helped either, of course.

Sad for Jodie though. When she was announced, I was hoping for a vibrant, quirky out-there Doc, largely based on her performance on Adult Life Skills but she so far hasn’t been given the chance to shine — saddled, as she has been, by a terrible costume and an over-abundance of pretty dull and under-developed companions. I would definitely have liked to see what another showrunner would have done with her Doctor — Moffat, for example, seemed to make the character shine far more in his short story than Chibs managed throughout his run. Perhaps she’ll undergo a Colin Baker-esque revival on Big Finish. She’s actually a pretty good Doctor and the best thing about the current iteration of the show but just not being allowed to fulfil her character’s potential.

But what strikes me most about this announcement is the lack of an immediate replacement for Chibs. Wasn’t RTD’s last mission to get his replacement in situ and I’m pretty sure they held off on announcing Moff’s moving on until Chibs was in place. This seems to be the first time that there isn’t any sense of urgency or continuity about the show moving forward. We’re still talking about quite an extended time-frame, of course, and there’s plenty time yet for a new head honcho to be announced and get started but it just seems odd that they leave this gap at the top, however temporarily. It could mean outright hiatus/cancellation, of course, but I find it hard to believe that the Beeb would do that just in time for the show’s 60th.

So, here’s some wild speculation:

• A new showrunner who’s just not been announced/finalised yet. If that’s the case then I find it odd that they wouldn’t have held off until they can make an announcement. (Unless Jodie or Chibs are about to announce a new project that would have given the game away.)
    • A game-changing alteration in format or distribution. Is Who about to make the jump to streaming and get into bed with Amazon, Disney or Netflix? This strikes me as inevitable and the 60th might be considered a good jumping-off point. BritBox has been going big on Who and they’re starting to dip their toes into production. I imagine having exclusive New Who on their service would be a big pull to new subs. (It would also perhaps explain why there’s no announcement as to a new production team — it’s just not the Beeb’s place to make that kind of announcement anymore.)
    • A big-screen movie for the 60th with a film Doctor. Not beyond the realms but strikes me as less likely at this time.
    • A one-off past-Doctors 60th special. Or perhaps a mini-series culminating in the unveiling of a Doc 14/new showrunner for s15 onwards?

But who knows really? And it seems I’ve gone off on an epic diatribe, so apologies for that (I shall look forward to Phase’s bitter rant also). But interesting times — which in itself makes a nice change.

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

OK I’ll toss my cup of petrol onto the fire   🙂    Just been watching  A Town Called Mercy  (Toby Whithouse)  followed by  The Power of Three  (Chris Chibnall).   And I can’t help contrasting them – Mercy was brilliant and gripping all the way through.   Power of Three started with an intriguing concept (the cubes) but wasn’t quite sure what to do with them.    And I couldn’t help reflecting on the theories that floated around when the Moff was about to retire, that Toby might have become the new showrunner.   What might have been…

@jimthefish

Your speculation on possible scenarios for the future is fascinating. I would not rule out hiatus/cancellation though. Given the way the BBC has allowed the show to wither on the vine since the departure of Moffat, I begin to wonder if the suits at the BBC are even aware of the approaching 60th. Or if they are, I wonder if they care. I would not be at all surprised if there was some half-hearted “tribute” announcement followed by silence.

If it does continue, I suspect your theory about farming it out to a streaming service is highly likely. If that happens, the temptation to “internationalize” it in tone and approach might prove irresistible to the show’s new owners.

Of course, I hope I am wrong and that there is a full-throated celebratory announcement to the effect that the budget has been increased and the show will be back bigger and better than before with a genuinely exciting show-runner and new Doctor. But…does that really seem likely?

@jimthefish the digital spy article I saw indicated that Jodies final special was to tie into the BBCs 100th anniversary celebrations not sure that this coincides with Who’s  60th. Given that both Jodie and Chibbers  are leaving I sincerely pray that this is not an indication of the Beebs loss of interest in Who though having both showrunner and change of Doctor is not unprecedented and given that so much effort was made to create a work around to the 12 regeneration limit for the Doctor either as the timeless child or even what we now know was essentially a false renewal of the regeneration cycle I think the Beeb would be stupid to cancel now.
    I really think that they should think long term in that I think it is possible they are going to lose the right to  television licence revenues within  in the next 5- 20 years as many ppl are getting annoyed at essentially paying twice for the right to watch programs through cable/satellite/streaming services, so they should keep control over what would become profitable well made  drama, Doctor Who being a prime example though this is partly a political issue that I would prefer to keep away from.

Personally I feel Chibbers has definitely been a weak showrunner though he has produced good individual episodes though in his defence he had a lot to live up to following his predecessor Moffat but this argument can be made of BG who as well though my knowledge of the BG showrunner’ s is a lot poorer and there are probably other members who could provide examples but my thinking being the production team during the CBakerwho  era should have possibly been shot😜

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@devilishrobby

I believe the Beeb’s centenary year is 2022, which is the year the specials and Jodie’s regen story are planned for with the 60th the year after. That would mean a new showrunner having to introduce a new Doctor (and presumably new companions) as well as marshalling through 60th celebration duties and that strikes me as something of a seriously big ask for anyone. If it’s indeed the case, then I wouldn’t be surprised if an old hand (a Moff or an RTD, say) were on hand in the background to help out.

Personally, I think @blenkinsopthebrave is probably correct and that if there is no new production partnership in the offing that they might well be willing to let the show die for a while, no matter how short-sighted that might be. As you say, the corporation has got a lot on its plate at the moment and Who is (or has become) a complex and expensive proposition and maybe one that they feel they can do without for a while.

That said, in an age that’s hungry for IP with already built-in fanbases, I think there’s no way we’ll be looking at another 14 years without Who on-screen. It’ll pop up somewhere or other in some form or other. My money, as I said, is on some streaming behemoth snapping it up.

@dentarthurdent

Yeah, Mercy is a quite underrated ep indeed. I’ve never been the biggest Whithouse fan and consider the Under the Lake two-parter to be his best Who work but he certainly wouldn’t have been a terrible showrunner. In terms of their stories, I would maybe have preferred Jamie Mathieson or Sarah Dollard but there’s more than writing to running a show — as Chibs has demonstrated. But in Chibs defence, the mess that is The Power of Three (and it does have some great little domestic moments with the Doc and the Ponds) are less Chibs’s fault and the way that Steven Berkoff threw a veritable hand-grenade into the filming of the episode.

As to a future showrunner, I suspect that Neil Gaiman might be a more credible proposition than he was a few years back, now that he’s got a few seasons of American Gods and Good Omens under his belt. Whether he’s available and willing is quite another matter though, of course.

@jimthefish    Now you mention them, Jamie Mathieson or Sarah Dollard have both written good episodes.   Though Whithouse certainly has showrunner experience (I think he did ‘Being Human’ for example)

Re Power of Three, a quick Google seems to confirm that Steven Berkoff was, um, ‘difficult’, and I guess that does explain why the climax was so very short and the villain so easily dealt with.   The first two-thirds was a good steady (and intriguing) build-up.   Though I still think there’s a logic gap in that a race that could build such technologically unbeatable impervious cubes shouldn’t need a whole year to perfect an assault that would only kill a third of their intended target…

Neil Gaiman would be a good choice, and he’s got heaps of experience I think.   However, on his website he’s just announced he’ll be doing Good Omens 2 and Anansi Boys simultaneously, so I guess that rules him out.  Though it depends how long a hiatus between seasons Who undergoes, I guess…

Even though I remain unconvinced that the BBC will commit to more Who, I still have this idea that Mackenzie Crook as showrunner and Toby Jones as the Doctor would be sort of wonderful.

nerys @nerys

@phaseshift Sorry about Whittaker – what might have been,eh?

You and @jimthefish have perfectly expressed my feelings about these developments. As @janetteb noted, I’m sorry about Jodi Whittaker, but I am not sad to see Chris Chibnall leaving. While Chibnall has created some good episodes during Whittaker’s run (the historical ones are consistently his best), for the most part I would describe his work as underwhelming. Which did not serve Whittaker well. I know she is capable of so much more, but she was never given the chance to shine as the Doctor.

@jimthefish … and the way that Steven Berkoff threw a veritable hand-grenade into the filming of the episode.

Is this the same actor who was in Vikings? He chewed up the scenery every time he appeared. I never did understand why his character was there. I think he was supposed to be an oracle, but I kept wishing he would just shut up. I can’t recall enough about “The Power of Three” (the cubes episode) to remember him from that one. Was it something similar?

The prospect of Neil Gaiman taking over as showrunner would fill me with a lot more confidence than I had when Chibnall took over. I knew that too many of Chibnall’s Doctor Who episodes were mediocre, at best, so I had a bad feeling about it. Wish I hadn’t been right. Gaiman, on the other hand, has clearly demonstrated his ability to write fantasy infused with wry humour. So I think he could revive the old charm that Doctor Who lost with Chibnall in charge. In a perfect world, I’d love to see Whittaker in some Gaiman-penned episodes!

nerys @nerys

And, I apologize for misspelling Jodie‘s first name. I’m having a bit of a run with name misspellings!

Lol @nerys you don’t admit that blame autocorrect instead

The Radio Times has quoted a BBC statement: “We will announce plans for the new generation of Doctor Who in due course – watch this space!”

If true, that is good news.

Was also reading that apparently Chibnall told the BBC when he signed up to be showrunner that the was only there for a three year stint. As I remarked to Mrs Blenkinsop, it turned out to be a three year stink.

Too harsh?

nerys @nerys

@blenkinsopthebrave Too harsh?

When the shoe fits ….

I know I’m a broken record, but there were enough good episodes that I don’t consider it a total loss. On the other hand, there aren’t enough for me to consider it a successful run, either.

winston @winston

@nerys  There were some very good episodes and some great acting but it was not consistent.  I have been confused about Chibnalls  vision or plans for the Doctor and her future and past. I hope the next series clears some of that confusion up and gives me some 13th Doctor episodes to add to my favourites. So far the only one I rewatch is her regeneration and first episode when I do my watch of all the Doctors 1st episodes. Fingers crossed that the 13th Doctor goes out in style.

There is good news, we can now start guessing who the new Doctor will be or rather who we want it to be. I will have to think on it……

Stay safe.

janetteB @janetteb

There are a few episodes that I re watch from J.W’s first two series, Demons of the Punjab, the Witchfinder one and the one set in Norway from the first J.W. season and the Tesla story and Villa Diodati from the second, so mostly historical episodes with the exception of the story set in Norway. None are brilliant. The demons in the Punjab story are a bit weak though I like the idea of aliens who are not doing harm. Dr Who needs more “good” aliens. They can’t all be intent on destroying earth or conquering the universe. I want more misunderstood aliens. Likewise the frog at the end of  Norwegian story is a bit lame but everything leading up to it is soo good. The Witchfinder story is full of holes but it is fun.

@winston, Yes indeed. Let the fun begin.Well my number one pick for Doctor is now the Master so other picks. Michaela Cole’s name has been tossed in the ring and  I can see her in the role. I have only seen her in Black Earth Rising so know she can do dramatic and evidently she does comedy too. She could even provide scripts however I suspect she has other things to do at the moment. Richard Ayoade comes up frequently but I don’t know if he has the dramatic range required. I would love to see him in Doctor Who however, as a companion maybe.

@blenkinsopthebrave I want Mackenzie Crook to be presenter on the new Time Team You tube episodes but they are only doing two at this stage so that would leave him plenty of time for Doctor Who and as the series was referenced at least once in Detectorists he might well be a potential show runner.  Toby Jones could certainly nail the role.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb    The only episode I remember fondly from 13’s first season is the Norway one.   I didn’t mind the frog.    The Punjab one would have been okay as an episode in a historical drama but there’s hardly any sci-fi in it (and what there is, resembles Testimony from Twice Upon a Time).

I’m afraid I can’t warm up to Jodie Whittaker, what kills it is the way she goggles like a goldfish when anything surprises her.   I think she could have been a lot better with better writing and direction.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,044 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.