Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 1,043 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,044 total)
  • Author

The Children In Need drop in – literally (side note: JW will be guesting on Graham Norton of 6 Dec)

winston @winston

@pedant  It is a cold,grey day here. There is lots of snow and the temp. is 0C and I am  stuck inside feeling a little blue and not just from the cold. Then from across the ocean you have posted something that has cheered me up and put a smile on my face. Thank you as always for the link.

@winston

Alas, in the clip they didn’t include the supercut that aired of every time she mentioned Doctor Who in her interview and how great she thinks Jodie Whittaker is. Which was a lot.

Representation matters. Who knew?

Aaaaand rest:

A tease….

winston @winston

@pedant  Is it pathetic to be so excited for a trailer?  Probably, but I still am!

Thanks and happy Doctor Who Day.

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Lol and hopefully they will give us the series start date too though given the BeeBs usual trailer policy  all it will say is coming soon

Missy @missy

@pedant

It’s bowel streak, a vile misogynistic little shitweasel and noted Angry Virgin. and we are more than familiar with his vile spewings – and you would be too if you ever paid any attention to what people actually said, rather than just getting stampy-footed when people pointed out how gratuitously offensive you are being.

Don’t post that shit here, especially behind a blind link.

I’m offensive? That’s a laugh, re- read your post mate and think again.

A simple  “it’s rubbish” would have sufficed.

As usual I get accused of being snide.  I simply wanted  other members opinions.

Nice Jodie Whittaker interview, hopefully not regional-locked. Spoiler-free, bar a few brief clips from the trailer.

Snowman08854 @changari

I have been a doctor who fan for more years than I like to admit.. and some of the doctors took a little getting used to.. but this new one .. well she is the worst I have seen.. i actually turned it off the other night..i really hope they regenerate her .. and soon.. other wise.

I will be missing one of my all time favorite shows….

Missy @missy

@changari

It seems that you and I agree, as do many, many people who have asked me what I thought- not knowing that I don’t watch anymore. On of my friends called it a ‘parody’ and a very bad one at that.

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion and all on this forum seem to like it.

Missy

BadWolfAlice @badwolfalice

Just a heads up for anyone that’s interested: Big Finish is doing a Doctor Who sale over the next few months. Currently various audios featuring the First Doctor are on sale; next week it will be the Second Doctor, and so on, up to the Twelfth Doctor. You can see the offers by entering the code HISTORY on this page: https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/dwseries12

Davros @davros

This isn’t really news but I wasn’t sure where else to put this.

I’m rewatching all of post-gap Who with my 11 year old son. Although I’ve probably seen every episode at least twice already, this will be the first time I’ve gone through the lot in order since it first came out. My boy has seen quite a few episodes as well a few years back but I suspect he was too young to really follow it.

I wanted to share our responses as we go through it all. The simplest way would be to post comments on each of the individual episode threads but I thought it might be nice to put it all in one place. Would there be a way to have a thread or blog for that purpose on this forum, or is that not really within the scope or ethos here?

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hi @davros

This is probably a question for our resident Time Lords, @craig, @jimthefish, @phaseshift, who manage the site. In the interim, there is always the “On the Sofa” thread, which is open to all Who-related discussion.

Mudlark @mudlark

@davros

Since you will be covering all the post-gap Doctors but understandably don’t want to keep it as a continuous thread, Faces of the Doctor might be the most appropriate forum.

Davros @davros

Thanks for those answers.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I honestly didn’t know where to put this, so it might as well be here. A short prologue to The Woman Who Fell to Earth, penned by Mr Chibnall…

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=read-the-first-thoughts-of-the-thirteenth-doctor#_

geoffers @geoffers

@jimthefish

thanks for that, this is the first i’ve seen it. the flapping of the arms was a nice touch. if only they’d put a bit of a regeneration glow in there, for the viewing audience, after she hit the floor. but maybe he hadn’t thought all this through when first writing the ep…

but we all know, by now, chibbers is much more tell than show, anyway…

There’s another new short story on the Doctor Who website, this time by Pete McTighe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/0f866ddb-21fd-47e0-80c2-0f7da6ac64a8

And here’s a new Eleventh Hour prequel! https://twitter.com/StevenWMoffat/status/1246123045716144130

janetteB @janetteb

@badwolfalice thank you for that link. It was lovely. Just lovely. Watched Eleventh Hour last night and made lots of notes. Was rather like being back at Uni in a Cinema Studies screening only I did not keep falling asleep.

Cheers

Janette

@badwolfalice

Wonderfully sweet clip. Thanks so much for posting.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Here’s rather a spiffy new story from Mr Moffat. Not only is it rather nice that he seems to be absolutely capturing 13, it rather brilliantly encapsulates Who’s mission statement…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/a094ba61-81b2-465b-9b87-2f509fe2a117

@jimthefish

That was very clever and…very Moffat.

I do wonder, therefore, what Chibnall thinks about Moffat coming on board and writing such clever stories about the Doctor on Chibnall’s watch.

There is a line in the story about running a flat management structure, and: “Obviously I have to be top”. Is that Moffat writing about the Doctor? Or…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish @blenkinsopthebrave I just saw a link to that on Twitter and came on here to post it.

Great job by Moffat that, sort-of, connects to young Amelia Pond, in a way, or his other childrens’ stories such as young Danny and the young Doctor.

I hope it means he might write an episode, especially if he’s bored at home like the rest of us, but I’d understand if he can’t.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig and @blenkinsopthebrave

I’d very much like to see Moffat do a story for 13. This is probably too short a sample to give a definitive sense but it seems to me that he can certainly write her character and that even now he still seems to have some interesting things to say about Who. I do wonder how much truth there is in the rumours that they don’t get on. Certainly Chibs’s era seems to have been antagonistic to Moff’s right from the get go.

Maybe @blenkinsopthebrave is on to something and that this story is essentially SM clearing his throat meaningfully….

But it has to be said, I did like this story a lot and I hope that even if he doesn’t write for the show again, I’d at least like to see another novelisation from Moff….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish @blenkinsopthebrave I think the problem is just not wanting to step on the current showrunner’s toes.

I kinda think that’s why Russel T Davies didn’t write an episode for the Moffat era.

Can you imagine if Moffat wrote an episode like “Blink” for the Chibnall era and everyone said “This is exactly what we’ve been waiting for – proper Doctor Who, not the rubbish we’ve had so far” (not that I think it’s rubbish – but some people do).

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

For those who like (or want to try) Big Finish Audios, they’re offering free downloads of selected titles during the lockdown. Some will be available throughout, others will be time-limited. They’re also doing various special offers.

First one up in the ‘time limited’ selection is The War Doctor – The Innocent with John Hurt. Available until tomorrow (April 12th) 23:59 UK time.

This sounds like it will be huge – a new multi-format story to be released over the course of twelve weeks later this year: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/time-lord-victorious-a-new-multi-platform-adventure?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=time_lord_victorious&utm_content=news

MissRori @missrori

I’m wondering if there’s any news on the status of Series 13 at this point.  Series 12 had such a bummer ending and left the Doctor in a sad place for her character arc, and I doubt that “Revolution of the Daleks” is going to do all the heavy lifting needed to undo it (i.e., restore Gallifrey, etc.).  And I’m also seriously wondering if Chibnall and co. are going to rethink everything they planned for her arc given the current pandemic, which I would imagine will have to be acknowledged in-universe, and which makes her current Special One status rather awkward at a time when, even more than usual, we’re seeing Not Special People being kicked to the curb worldwide by people who think they’re Special Ones and mass deaths being shrugged off in favor of the economy.  Can anybody help me out here?

**MAJOR DOCTOR WHO NEWSFLASH**

Maze Theory are announcing a new Doctor Who project tomorrow afternoon. It’s on their Twitter. The site won’t let me post the link for some reason.

So hope this is a standard videogame and not a VR one.

This site won’t let me post links for some reason, but if you go on Maze Theory’s site they confirmed their news. They’re releasing two new Doctor Who games, one for PS4, Xbox and Switch and the other for mobile devices!

So exciting. Can’t wait to play the Switch one!

Apparently, the festive special completed filming before the lockdown.

https://ew.com/tv/doctor-who-mandip-gill-holiday-episode/

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave Thanks for posting that link. That was a lovely interview with Mandip Gill. Really glad that there will be a festive special though her description of Sacha Dhawan just reminded me of how much I wanted him to be the Doctor one day. I had been thinking for some time that he is perfect for the role, in a way that few actors are, so I was a little disappointed when he was cast as The Master.

Cheers

Janette

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond
    janetteB @janetteb

@toinfinityandbepond You beat me… I shared your delight too when I read this. Great that “Eccles” has finally returned to the fold. There was an article in the Guardian the other day about Big Finish and how they started up.

cheers

Janette

Wasn’t quite sure where to post this. It is official (I think)

xuanze @xuanze

Since money will not wait for anyone, these teenagers have been using fake id cards to get rich.

janetteB @janetteb

Another lost story animation. Article about it is here

It is great that the missing stories are being brought back in some form, as best as can be done without access to a Tardis.

Cheers

Janette

For those parched for news, here is a drop of information. No spoilers, and first seen on the Radio Times.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a34315582/doctor-who-festive-special-daleks/

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave Thank you for the good news. (Might be a bit spoilery for those who have not yet seen series 12)  I hoped the festive special (if there was one) would pick up from the last episode and I’m still hoping to see some of the events of series 12 undone, especially as the depiction of a certain location does not tie into earlier stories, which are set much later.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb I suppose I have always interpreted spoilers as a reveal of something that is going to happen in a future episode, but if an episode has already screened and been discussed, then it is hard to spoil something that has already happened. Otherwise, revealing that the Doctor can regenerate might be seen as spoiler to someone who has only seen the first half of the Hartnell episodes.

I do confess that I am desperately trying to remember “a certain location”….

Time to go back and revisit.

p.s. Hope life with the virus risk in South Australia is allowing you a relatively normal existence. Over here, things aren’t too bad, mainly because everyone takes it seriously; it is more the real sense of unease at what is happening south of  the border (only a few miles away), in terms of both public health and politics (and how the latter impacts on the former).

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave  I do agree that anything that has been screened no longer counts as a spoiler. The location in question is Gallifrey. I was not happy at all about that story development especially as we have seen Gallifrey at the end of the universe. It felt rather as though Chibbers was stomping on Moff’s story.

We feel as though we are currently living in a bubble in S.A. Life goes on almost as normal. Last night we even went to the city for the first time since Fringe in Feb’ and to the cinema. (don’t ask what film…) But we are aware that our security is fragile, very fragile and everyone makes plans while looking for something wooden to touch, even the most cynical of us. When all else fails we fall back on superstition. (well at least I do, silly though it is)

The entire world is watching the U.S with trepidation. I always think the one disadvantage with Canada is not the weather but its border. (even though I really, really feel the cold I love snow and extreme cold and in Canada the houses are well heated. We probably feel the cold more here in S.A. because heating is an alien concept and our houses are designed purely for summer and turn into ice boxes in winter.)

cheers

Janette

The (new) War Doctor

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-10-14/doctor-who-war-doctor-recast/

I am starting to wonder if the most interesting Who these days is now not the TV show…

Missy @missy

@hhspeedy

I shall keep an eye open for Christopher Eccleston’s Audio. always liked him.
    @blenkinsopthebrave
    >Sounds interesting.
    Missy

geoffers @geoffers

news, at last…

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=doctor-who-series-thirteen-begins-filming#_

seems likely that there’ll only be 8 episodes for series 13, but i’m ok with that, if they keep the 8 best scripts. it could make for a tighter, more exciting series? be still my beating hearts…

geoffers @geoffers

i believe this to be a steaming pile of horse manure, but it IS an eye-catching title (aka, clickbait)…

Doctor Who Will No Longer Use A Police Box For The TARDIS

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@geoffers

I suspect it MAY be connected with the Fugitive Doctor/Timeless Child storyline. The Judoon still have that millennia old arrest warrant and a very, very annoyed officer who had his horn removed. So it may be that the Doctor realises that the appearance of a Police Box results in a squad or more of Judoon appearing – and TEMPORARILY changes the Police Box appearance (until this storyline is resolved).

It’s certainly a great publicity item, because the Police Box is so iconic that they used it for the Ruth/Fugitive Doctor to immediately reveal her ‘Doctor’ status.

@geoffers, @bluesqueakpip, I have a bad feeling about this. Somehow, it feels like something Chibnall would actually do–divest the Doctor of a symbol of authority (a police box) just as the last couple of seasons have reduced the Doctor as a symbol of authority, by giving more agency and responsibility to the companions.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,044 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.