Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 652 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of MissRori MissRori 10 hours, 26 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 653 total)
  • Author
    Avatar of MissRoriMissRori @missrori

@jimthefish  Ooer, there’s too much vanilla entertainment right now, at the movies and stuff.  Though I like vanilla ice cream, so I’d use the word <i>bland</i> instead!  😉

Avatar of ichabodichabod @ichabod

@conchobarre  the odds of it being Kris Marshall have just risen dramatically

Oh, damn.  I don’t like this guy for the part at all.  Oh, well.  Them’s the breaks . . . I’ll watch just to see what Chibnall does, or I’ll try to, anyway.  If it’s Marshall.

@jimthefish  Broadchurch 3 hasn’t inspired me with any more confidence in Chibnall’s show-running, I’m increasingly expecting an approaching age of extremely vanilla Who.

Oh, double damn!  That’s what I’m afraid of, too.  And it’s why I’ve wandered off before . . . But I wouldn’t mind so much.  A pal of mine with a psychic streak mentioned that she sees me writing a new book staring in the Autumn, so this long period of ingathering rather than output may be coming to an end.  As everything does.  Now, who told me that?

@nikminkr  Thanks for the link.  Funny story — sheesh, I’m gonna miss this guy.

Avatar of BluesqueakpipBluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

The time to panic with the bookies is when they close down the betting – that’s when they think the part has been cast and people-in-the-know are betting on a dead cert. 😉

Remember when Capaldi was cast? There was a massive surge in betting for Rory Kinnear – and it turned out to be rubbish.

It is just a rumor, thankfully.  Nothing more, and one of just many false alarms I’m sure.  I’m still hoping for Paul McGann.  (:

Avatar of JimTheFishJimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

what @bluesqueakpip said. Though seeing the really rather negative reaction on social media to the rumours yesterday I’d say Kris Marshall’s name has quite possibly been scratched off the shortlist…

@kharis I hadn’t even considered Paul McGann. Wouldn’t that be a wonderful redemption for him? I know he’s had other Doctor Who outings since that awful TV movie, but it would be so cool to see him fully realized as The Doctor. However, I suspect that given the unfair complaints about Peter Capaldi’s age, they’re looking for someone younger.

@bluesqueakpip I’d love to see Rory Kinnear in the role. Hey, BBC, it’s not too late to consider him now!

@jimthefish Coupled with the fact that Broadchurch 3 hasn’t inspired me with any more confidence in Chibnall’s show-running, I’m increasingly expecting an approaching age of extremely vanilla Who. Perfectly willing to be proved wrong though.

See, I feel just the opposite. If we were talking Season 2, I’d agree with you completely. But Season 3 has restored my faith in his abilities. I know this is highly subjective, of course. Different strokes, and all.

@nerys @jimthefish

I’m inclined it agree with @nerys re Broadchurch – S3 managed to avoid the plotting stupidities of S2 (although it would be nice is, just occasionally, crime story writers familiarised themselves with the Police & Criminal Evidence Act). But I did quite like the rather contemplative ending tonight.

Avatar of blenkinsopthebraveblenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@pedant Well, now that Broadchurch is over, I’m just hoping Chibnall’s got Thomas Hardy out of his system before he turns his attention to Who.

On the question of the next Doctor, I am assuming that Chris Chibnall would have presented a pitch to the BBC on the type of Doctor he wanted to run with and, at the very least, would have worked in consultation with the suits at the BBC to get an actor that could realise his vision for the 13th? But others on the board might have more knowledge of how the BBC dynamics operate.

@Craig

There does seem to be an issue with vanishing posts – got a notification from @blenkinsopthebrave and the post seems to have gone walkabout (and not in the Jenny Agutter sense).

(unless blenky deleted it, obv)

Avatar of blenkinsopthebraveblenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Funny. The post I just put up seems to have disappeared…I’ll try again.

@pedant Well, now that Broadchurch is over, I just hope that Chibnall has got Thomas Hardy out of his system, before he turns his attention to Who.

On the subject of the choice of the new Doctor, I imagine that Chibnall would have presented the BBC with his take on how he wants to run with the Doctor, and I assume that, as show runner, he would, at the very least, have worked in close consultation with the suits at the BBC to get an actor who was capable of realising his vision? But others on the board might have more knowledge of how the BBC dynamics operate in regard to these issues?

Avatar of JimTheFishJimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@nerys and @pedant

Certainly s3 of Broadchurch is a vast step away from the idiocy of s2 and back in the direction of relative quality but I still felt there were points where dramatic logic was replaced with the dramatic equivalent of loud and self-conscious whistling. Julie Hesmondaigh was consistently amazing though. Haven’t watched the finale yet, so I’m willing to revise my opinion but I’ve not lost the feeling that Chibnall is far too happy to leap across narrative canyons to get to ‘the next cool bit’.

@blenkinsopthebrave

I think Chibnall will have the greatest say in who and what the new Doctor would be but I think it unlikely that there won’t be other voices in the mix. Certainly I think there’s been plenty of hints from SM over the years that he’s had to accommodate the diktats of higher-ups, marketing bods and the like (iDaleks anyone?) and that there will be strong but insistent voices ‘guiding’ him in certain directions. (Once again, I’m very much hoping that SM is planning a Writer’s Tale type book. I feel certain there would be very many interesting stories to hear from his tenure in the big seat.)

Avatar of wolfweedwolfweed @wolfweed

Terrible jump cut in the Broadchurch reveal. Made it seem like the villain was twins/a ghost/a figment of the imagination/a teleporter…

Avatar of thane15thane15 @thane15

@blenkinsopthebrave @pedant @nerys @ichabod

I really enjoyed Broadchurch 3! Ach. (puro here, let out on her own) but young Thane -nope, not at all.

Actually…….pedant. Didn’t you LOVE it? 😉

I’m sure there was shouting at one point? Not you, of course, pedantic the younger.

Oh, crap,  that sounds weird, but, anyway.

(Mind wipe.)

Puro.

Avatar of janetteBjanetteB @janetteb

Another random thought re’ regeneration. Maybe there are two regenerations coming up. Moffat might do the regeneration he would chose if he was free to do so, ie Doctor into a woman but then two episodes later there will be another regeneration into the actor of Chibnell’s choice which will almost certainly be male. The BBC is too risk adverse for it to be otherwise. That way trying to please all and pleasing none. Fans will not be easily fobbed off.

Just as long as we are not cheated of two or more episodes of PC as the Doctor.. I have been comforted by the reassurance that he would be safely in command of the Tardis console until the end of the Christmas Special.

cheers

Janette

@nerys You should listen to the audio stories starring Paul McGann, there is even a set with Alex as River.

I like an older Doctor personally.  He would rock the part.

Emperor

@pedant Can you give me the number of the post that went missing? Should be in the URL. That’ll help me track down what happened to it.

@Craig

56386 (and if you browse the Pilot there’s at least one more from @geoffers, iirc) – see 56333 which refers to 56324 vanishing).

Emperor

@pedant Thanks. For some reason they were put in the spam folder. Have unspammed them now so that the authors are not tarred with that brush. I have no idea why. Algorithms! I’ll keep an eye on it.

David Tennant to appear on UK tv in ‘Billy Connolly & Me: A Celebration’, tonight @9pm on ITV…

billy connolly listing

bill n dave

Emperor

Cheers @wolfweed love Connolly (and Tennant of course). Been a bit busy over the weekend but can I also add my voice to those welcoming you back. Hope the internet issues are all sorted now. Your contributions are always great.

Avatar of ichabodichabod @ichabod

@jimthefish  I’m very much hoping that SM is planning a Writer’s Tale type book. I feel certain there would be very many interesting stories to hear from his tenure in the big seat.

Oh, I second that — I’d love to see it happen!  But if so, I doubt it would be published for a long time — he has (I hope) a long writing career still ahead of him, and if you’re not in a position to piss off the PTB and tell embarrassing stories because, um, future jobs, it’s more politic to keep your notes in a drawer till if’s safe to take them out of there and let fly.

@kharis  On Paul McGann — I saw The Movie years ago, was unimpressed, but this actor has many vocal fans here, so I’d like to see him get a proper crack at the part now — but, ageism, damn it.  So ridiculous . . . (said the old woman who’s got to do time on the rowing machine at the gym to get some decent breath back!).

@thane15: Someone else  posted the same thing as your good self.(not on  here)  I know one should never believe all one reads, BUT unless it was done to deliberately deceive, why are is there a photograph on Kris Marshall half in and half out of the Tardis? Oh well, we’ll find out eventually, and please let it be Kris Marshall, he’s perfect for the part.

Janette: If you watched the Whovians thingy after DW (thought them a bit silly) PC  apparently told Graham Norton that he will be in the Christmas special.  Also, according to them, you don’t lie to Graham Norton – so who knows?

@mudlark: with a little luck, my viewing of ‘Easter eggs’ will come with my box set.

Missy

@nikmlnkr: Thank you for that.

Confirmed. If you watch the video, PC is in the Christmas special.

Missy

Dr Who style politics in tonight’s ‘This Week’ – from 11.45pm on bbc1…

C92v9uyXUAEygb2

@kharis: Oh lawks, I hope not. It seems, reading some of the comments, that there is bit of skulduggery  afoot.

I wonder if Steven Moffat will write the odd episode in series 11?  After all, he did when Russel T. Davies was in charge. here’s hoping.

Missy

Just a couple of quick Qs from this snip of P Cap @ Calgary…

Questions for Peter Capaldi at Calgary Expo

calg

Don’t know if anyone noticed, but The Return of Doctor Mysterio  is a Hugo Awards finalist (Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form). It is up against some stonking competition, not least from San Junipero, the thing-of-beauty Black Mirror episode that both @Craig and I raved about,  plus the inevitablt GoT.

Full list here.

I noticed @pedant, but I doubt it will win if “Listen” and “Heaven Sent” couldn’t manage wins in their eligibility years (they lost to episodes of Orphan Black and Jessica Jones, respectively).  Sadly, the Twelfth Doctor era looks to be the only one of the revival that goes empty-handed at the Hugos….he never catches a break, on or off screen!

@MissRori

I was more surprised (and pleased) by the particular episode getting enough votes in the face of a very much back-on-form GoT and some other excellent SFF. The Expanse is top drawer hard SF, Stranger Things  a dark delight, San Junipero exquisite. Not familiar with the other nominee.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mysterio, but it is up against very tough Competition. A ‘break’ is not an factor.

@pedant and @missrori I re watched Doctor Mysterio recently and really enjoyed it and it is nice, especially for S.M and Capaldi for the episode to get a nomination even if it has no chance of winning given the quality of the opposition. I really must watch Stranger Things. The rest of the family loved it though there were complaints about some confusion over what appeared in which D&D edition. But that wasn’t first edition…Shock horror!! Nitpicking fans. There is no escaping them..

Cheers

Janette

@pedant, I know the Hugo competition is a lot tougher these days than it was before for Who and it has no hope of winning this year.  It’s the downside of the peak TV era, everybody’s upping their game and catching up with it!  Still, Twelve’s era has one more shot next year and already there’s been “Thin Ice” this season…

@wolfweed; Thank you for the video. Mr. C is always entertaining.

Missy

Avatar of pıtırcapaldipıtırcapaldi @pitircapaldi

hello friends

According to hear the news ; Doctor’s regeneration started all over again .This is true or only one times have new regeneration ?

What it says on the tin…

@wolfweed; Loved this. thank you.

Missy

Sad news – Geoffrey Bayldon has passed away.

mirror article

gb

@wolfweed was just reading the article on the Guardian. Catweazle is a favourite here. We only just discovered that there was a second season which we had not seen and naturally watched that a few weeks ago. I think we will have to watch an episode tonight and raise a glass in his honour.

Cheers

Janette

HAL from 2001 brings us this breaking sh*tstorm:

He may have been a stormtrooper in ‘The Last Jedi’ but this cruel snub will probably send him over the edge (didn’t you see [the adaptation of Jamie Bartlett’s] King Charles the Third?!)…

Moral: Dr Who parties are for all, not for personal retribution…

(P.S. – THIS IS ACTUALLY A STORY FROM 2013 SO NOT SURE WHY HAL POSTED IT TODAY?!)

For all you audio adventure fans, Spotify has 30 hours of ’em available for free

P Ness has series 2 all worked out. But it’s realisation depends on a healthy U.S. viewership…

class 2

coal

Michelle Gomez is doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow…

I assume that means Ask Me Anything…

If so, surely that’s a misnomer – Anything? Really?

mg

Oh yeah – Also today’s big announcement was… Dr 10 & Rose are returning to audio…..

Avatar of ConchobarreConchobarre @conchobarre

Thanks Wolfweed.

I just went to the Big Finish website and I didn’t end up getting the Doctor and Rose, I downloaded the Doctor and Donna! It was only $13AUD and it’s my first ever audio Doctor Who, so I’m getting pretty firmly entrenched into the fan zone here.  I’ll probably end up with the new one as well.

I think the one I bought is half price for 24 hours.

@conchobarre

I should have said – I don’t think the Dr & Rose audios are available until November. Announcement only yesterday…

Michelle Gomez Reddit AMA today @ 6pm UK time methinks…

gom

Michelle Gomez AMA questions…

Answers coming soon…

reddit

WARNING: ANSWERS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS…

In fact potentially spoilerish questions rather than answers…

You’ve been warned…

(Maybe get an expert to filter it & read it to you…)

Cool – It’s also got a link to the BBC America trailer for ep 6 which is different to all the UK ones…

Avatar of ConchobarreConchobarre @conchobarre

The Reddit Q&A was so fun! It was Missy answering rather than Michelle Gomez (or perhaps not…).

Definitely spoilerish questions, but nothing I didn’t already know from the British press.

I love her full name: Michelle May Romney Marsham Guacamole Chicken Pot-Pie Gomez

@wolfweed:

So very sad. Catweazle was wonderful. Thanks for news about DT and Rose on audio.  I listen to a lot of these.

I’ll take a look at You Tube, they may have ANA thingy.

Missy

@conchobarre: I wouldn’t entrenched anywhere else – would you? What a name, I bet she made it up, especially the

Guacamole. * giggle*

Missy

@conchobarre @missy

I don’t normally post a link without checking for spoilers first. I didn’t do that with the AMA so that people could join in. Unfortunately, by the time I’d written up the post with the link half the answers were there & it was nearly all over.

Two people on Reddit asked two spoilerly questions about the two big spoilers in the press yesterday. I don’t know why they expected an answer – they didn’t get one. Same with all the ‘What’s gonna happen in the next 7 eps?’ questions…

Unfortunately it means that spoilerphobes can’t safely enjoy M Gomez’s delightful banter…

I see that P Ness was on the Matthew Wright Show this morning. I missed 95% of it but I did catch the end where he said, ‘I write for Doctor Who – I understand being trolled…’

p-ness

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 653 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.