General Films thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films General Films thread

This topic contains 358 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Oochillyo 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 359 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@dentarthurdent

Like you, I judge an episode (or film) by whether I enjoy it or not. If I do, I don’t question it. If not, then I watch again to find out why.

Unlike my friend who analyses it as she goes along?

Life is too short and complicated enough as it is.

Then again, if part of the enjoyment is to analyse, fair enough.

@janetteb

As you say, it is second nature for you to go into the ‘do’s’ and don’ts’ – if that is the right description – and if it does not detract from your enjoyment, who am I to judge. *grins*

Missy

Missy @missy

I finished watching a series on Netflix last night calledΒ Another life. It is science fiction and I really enjoyed it, good news is that there is to be a second series. However to get to the point *rolls eyes* two of the actors in the series were in Doctor Who. One is the actor who played the hero in Doctor Mysterio (sp) and the other is the actor who played Danny, Clara’s boyfriend.

I must say, that the above made a better job of his part than he did as Danny, who frankly gave me the pip!

Have any of you seen this series?

Missy

winston @winston

@missy and @dentarthurdentΒ  I am with you on whether I analyze an episode or not. If I like what I am watching then I am usually drawn in until it is over, but if I don’t then I tend to be over critical and analytical. I can over look so much if I am entertained or I don’t notice things until later on when I read them here. With Doctor Who episodes I don’t like episodes more because of how they make me feel as opposed to how critically good or bad they are. It is all about the feels for me.

I have not seen Another Life but I will look it up and see where I can find it.

Take care

Stay safe

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I Just watched “No Time To Die” which was too long. They could have easily lost half an hour or so, but I loved it anyway. It was a classic Bond movie, including an island that’s the evil lair. It wasn’t trying to hard to be Bourne or Mission Impossible (which is a problem I’ve had with the recent ones).

This was more classic Bond. And the music was mostly classic Bond too. Also, Cary Joji Fukunaga knows how to direct close combat scenes incredibly well (as I knew already from “True Detective”). Maybe car chases not so much. Overall, I loved it. Did I mention it’s like classic Bond? They even end it with the theme from “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” because, why not?

It gets a thumbs up from me.

The question they ask at script meetings is “What would you do better?” Here are my initial thoughts.

I still like the idea of a gentleman spy so I think that should be played up next time – I think they’ve gone too much down the Bourne / Mission Impossible / even Die Hard route. It’s a bit too much of an action movie.

Gentleman thief is always good too – like Lupin, on Netflix (check it out if you haven’t).

People love Downton Abbey. They love The Crown (in fact I’ve even seen the guy who plays Prince Charles suggested for the new Bond by some).

I’d make it smaller scale (so cheaper to make), shoot it all in the UK, and make it more like a real spy movie, like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, just with our beloved womanising, high-functioning alcoholic at the centre. Or maybe I’m now describing Harry Palmer and The Ipcress File.

I don’t think you need exotic locations – just how the wealthy live in London – the finest bars and restaurants etc. Because that is really Bond, and I think the producers may have forgotten that London high-life is exotic for everyone around the world, except those who get to enjoy it daily (I mean the people who make it and star in it).

And then we have a big ending with a lair under the Thames Barrier or the Dome or the London Eye or something. Bond saves London from flooding maybe (just to keep it topical). Bond saves the girl. And that’s job done – all in under 2hrs this time! πŸ˜€

I’m just thinking – blow the Thames Barrier – flood the City of London – raid the Bank of England like Goldfinger with Fort Knox. Or, to be more contemporary, they could short the stock market then tank it (but that’s a bit boring). Then again “Tomorrow Never Dies” was just about a media mogul who wanted to sell more papers by starting a world war – so there’s that.

Anyway, if you meet a producer, those are my initial notes. I can expand on them.

And if these ideas are stolen I have internet proof I came up with them. πŸ˜€

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

By coincidence, I just watched ‘Doctor No’, which was a classic Bond movie, including an island which was the evil lair [grin].

It was also probably the closest to the original book.Β Β  I did notice a couple of glitches that weren’t in the book – Crab Key had (in the movie) a river with waterfalls – no way, not in a cay.Β Β  And No’s mine in the book was guano or phosphate (very credible), Bond ‘got’Β  him by burying him under it; in the movie it was bauxite – highly unlikely I think.

Also one thing I previously *thought* was blatantly wrong, the casting of Honeychile Ryder – in the book, she was a half-caste, no way could Ursula Andress ever have been a half-caste.Β  However in the movie, Honey Rider’s ancestry (I forget the exact details, but her father travelled the world) wasn’t local at all.Β Β  So, not mis-cast.

Tomorrow Never Dies – one of my absolute favourite Bonds, and Jonathan Price is probably my favourite Bond villain – he manages to give the impression of being utterly amoral, and just barely in control of himself.Β Β  Far more unpredictable and dangerous to anyone around him than a master criminal like Blofeld.

Personally, I thought the Bourne movies were excellent, very convincing and grounded in the details.Β Β  I wouldn’t compare them to Mission Impossible or Die Hard.Β Β Β Β  Many of the later Bonds just got a bit too sci-fi for my liking.Β Β  But I think I lean towards the idea that Bond should be more stylish, suave and polished than Bourne.

But I do like the exotic locations.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig I like your ideas for where to go with James Bond. At the moment, most people seem to be thinking about how to address issues of gender and sexuality. But I like that you want to bring it back to the Englishness of Bond and shoot it all in the UK.

I would suggest one step further–to address the fact that Bond represents not just the UK, but its past. Or more specifically, its past as represented by the British empire. I can think of all sorts of scenarios where Bond is confronted in the present with the historical legacy of the Mau Mau rebellion, or Partition, or Palestine, for example.

We have become used to a troubled Bond, perhaps this could give those troubles another context.

Just finished watching “Dune”. We both thought it was really good. And when I say really good I mean that it told a complicated story (i.e. given the novel if you have read it) surprisingly clearly, was visually spectacular, and with all the actors giving really good performances, especially the young guy playing Paul Atreides, which is a difficult role to do justice to. Anyway, a Blenkinsop recommendation!

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave We saw it in the local cinema in December just before the Covid tsunami hit S.A. so glad we were able to see it on big screen as it is such a visually stunning movie. I really enjoyed it, though our eldest who recently read the book was less enthralled. I read the book in 1984 so was really watching it with “fresh eyes” which maybe helped.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb I wish I could say I saw it on the big screen, but we watched it at home, courtesy of one of the very few video stores left. (I cannot see either of the two ageing Blenkinsops inside a cinema anytime soon.) It was still visually stunning.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebraveΒ  We just watched it yesterday and we both thought it was visually stunning, you could almost taste the sand. Like you, we stay at home and watch what we borrow from the library. They get stuff pretty quickly.

Sometimes Mr.Winston was lost so I had to explain because I have read the book but on the whole we both enjoyed it.

stay safe

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey everyone πŸ™‚ how are you all πŸ™‚

I’m back again but feel quite lost here so I’ll just mention this cool film I discovered recently πŸ™‚

Has anybody seen the film Career Opportunities (1991)

I found a song over clips of it few weeks back, very relaxing and enjoyable then watched some clips of the film on YouTube and a essay on it, apparently its very good but didn’t go well in the box office typical ha, anyway I recommend checking it out if you can or sharing your thoughts on it πŸ™‚

I really like the characters, the dialogue and the sweet nature of it all πŸ™‚

Thank you.

Regards – Declan Sargent

samajo @samajo

FALL (2022) – 7/10
    Great vertigo inducing cinematography and a thrilling first half, but it didn’t quite pan out as I was expecting.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I know this is the film section but I couldn’t see a game section, I was just wondering if anyone would like to join me in GTA 5 Online or just message and talk wth messgaes on PS4, I have been trying to make space for a while today, deleting games ect and hopefully since a month or so I finally have enough space for the update and then online and was thinking since everyone here is soo friendly and cool maybe it would be nice to ‘hang out’ in a game and its quicker too as we are all in various time zones but gaming ect means there no waiting about you know.

If this is a good/allowed idea and anyone is interested let me know here in this section of film yes or a message to me thank you πŸ™‚

In film wise I just watched for the 2nd or 3rd time Little Monsters 1989 πŸ™‚ love that film and the main kid actor in it I always love him in films and he is very talented, good little spooky film, very adventurous for the time but core message about friendships and sort of dont judge people and help others to be better all of which is sweet πŸ™‚

Really like the music in it too like the batting scene and the ending scene and love 80’s music well most older music such as the time I messaged about the song from Career Oppurtunites, I recently was talking to 2 kinda friend a few days after getting back or before leaving for the holiday and was in a down mood but music was helping and just telling them songs and then Star Girl and the song from that film πŸ™‚ soo all good and good think for music

Take care everyone hugs πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Since we are in the year-end silly season, I thought I would post this for the handful of people on the planet who have not seen this yet. The allusion to 2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty brilliant

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Its difficult here – we have 19 channels and 1 English which is the film channel I guess well English speaking films mostly.

Guide doesn’t work so just if you find something that’s the moment you cant know about it in advance.

Recently seen a lot of good films πŸ™‚ I even wrote down what I had seen cause well I like making lists and like some I ticked off the box of seeing for first time and just making a note of what was on that day.

So recently and much to talk about if you all like. also I cant remember all films I’ve seen, with no guide you have to get lucky in finding the names of things even shows I’ve seen a few times , I mainly look for actors and find out the show from there cause I’m very good with faces.

I don’t think its in order cause I cant remember everything when it happend and the list needs to be updated

I’ve seen Robot Overlords like 2 times it was on but not like little piece first time and like last 30 mins or so 2nd time as I say gotta catch it when its on.

It was kinda ok the look and ideas and what I want from that type of film got me to watch but it wasn’t great

Seen a lot of Classic and modern Clint Eastwood πŸ™‚ , Keanu Reeves , and Chris Hemsworth films πŸ™‚ in fact I saw 3 films with Chris Hemsworh in on the same day haha πŸ™‚

Seen Men in Black 2 like close to ending twice – once with my Dad but I know that film well and number 1 or 3 are my favs

First time seeing Men In Black 4 but it was like more than halfway to ending

Seen something about like IT (computers) and money stealing with Chris Hemsworth in the role

Avengers Infinity War like last 20 mins and Endgame fully for first time πŸ™‚ love Marvel πŸ™‚ it was even on ago at Cousins house, there we watch a lovely film called Ruby πŸ™‚

(77) Rescued By Ruby starring Grant Gustin | Official Trailer | Netflix – YouTube

My Dad and me watched Speed 1 πŸ™‚ and speed 2 but 1 is best plus Keanu is in Speed 1 πŸ™‚ love those films grew up on them especially number 1

Lots of Clint Eastwood who I love some classic ones and a modern one about him moving drugs around by these gangs but finding that his family and time is most important πŸ™‚

Finally saw a Matrix film yay πŸ™‚ it was The Matrix Reloaded and I enjoyed it πŸ™‚

In my note book I ranked these 3 films as I say need to update

Avengers Infinity War 8/10 I really liked it but need to see the whole thing and what I saw was good but not perfection you know but I still really liked it

Avengers Endgame – 9/10 it was really nice but I have seen a Closer Look (great Youtuber πŸ™‚ ) Analysis of it ages ago and when I saw the film the final battle like he says it wasn’t hitting it for me like it could have been cooler you know especially for something soo important 10 years a franchise running have all these powers and armies creatures ect and to me what happend was just lacking and I am writing my own book and I have a simialr end fight scene but its different ofcourse and I am not like expert but also I dont have 10 years of growing the biggest money making franchise to hit the final golden nail on the head πŸ™‚

I really wanted to give my reasons for that cause I know how awesome it is and how much it means to people and I love Marvel so it has importance to me as well just didn’t quite reach excellence πŸ™‚

It was really nice though to finally watch some Marvel films and I look forward to Deadpool 3 watching all the guardians films and some Thor films πŸ™‚

The Matrix Reloaded 9/10 I had never seen a Matrix feel before this I know some of the franchise and like philosophical aspects but yeah the whole thing was new to me and even after watching the film I wanted to know what film it was like number 2 or 3 ect cause I had no idea apart from its not 1 or the brand new know is there 4 or 5 films who knows ha πŸ™‚ and I saw an analysis of great movie scenes so I was expecting to see this awesome scene where the spaceship flies out to the clouds but it was the other film haha πŸ™‚ either way I really enjoyed this film the motorway fight was great soo great and the lorry moment it all looks soo good yet computer but that’s good its not shiny perfect like an Endgame Thanos for that film for the concept of Matrix that’s what it need to be and I loved it, really like Trinity, some of the scenes were funny and crazy and you feel even without watching the other films feel how Neo is loved heroed by all but its a burden too, really like that look of ships the world ect the aesthetic and yeah really enjoy it πŸ™‚

So those are a lot of the films Speed 1 11/10 yep smiling with my Dad and laughing the whole way through πŸ™‚

I watch a lot of tv shows that aren’t English not sure if anyone wants to know but only on channel 2 when a good films comes up I am there ha πŸ™‚

Today there was one about bike races and how determined the guy is ect not sure the name of it but it was really good when you get into to and what you see πŸ™‚

Any good films or shows you’ve seen let us know πŸ™‚

Take care everyone stay positive hugs πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I was thinking of talking more about my X Men mutants ideas but not sure where that should go so instead how about our top films of a series or franchise πŸ™‚

By the way I remembered just now before dinner time I was watching the funny Batman film like with Arnold as Mr Freeze πŸ™‚ everyone says its rubbish and though goofy I really liked what I saw the colours and mayhem of whats on screen and everyone like joking around soo much πŸ™‚ maybe 8-10 from what I saw πŸ™‚ then we had dinner then I wasn’t happy so went on a massive walk with Molly and when I was back that nice bike film was on.

So ohh yeah its soo many films I forgot – I have now seen a lot of the Harry Potter films recently πŸ™‚ halfblood prince both hallows and it was crazy to actually watch the ending to Harry Potter after finally seening most of the films for the first time in a week and it was all done and prehaps another film yeah about 4 Harry Potter films this week or so and I really enjoyed it πŸ™‚

My fav Harry Potter film is still Prisoner of Azkaban probs seen that one the most and love it πŸ™‚ but the hallows and Prince were really good πŸ™‚

My fav X Men film is still First Class πŸ™‚

Men in Black as I said either 1 0r 3

Speed still the first one πŸ™‚

Matrix so far Reloaded but I would love to see more πŸ™‚

Indian Jones and Temple of Doom πŸ™‚ but I am soo looking forward to Indian Jones 5 πŸ™‚

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 but hyped to see all of them πŸ™‚

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters the only one I have seen so far but I really love it πŸ™‚

I think Terminator 1 maybe 2 with the kid right I should check these films more but I like them πŸ™‚

Everyone has heard that the third film in a series/franchise isnt great but recently with films I have seen I am finding the not to be the case πŸ™‚

Also I would say Spider Man 2 but I really loved both Home films and wanna see the big meet up one I would love that πŸ™‚

oh I saw Wonder Women 1984 for a bit then had dinner and I saw The Closer look criticism of it ages years ago but where I was at in the film I actually enjoyed it and I saw a Hell Boy 2 the Golden Army and it was great πŸ™‚ love the visuals aesthetics ect it was soo fun and I love love the look of Johann Kraus love the steam punk classic diving helmet look πŸ™‚ gonna have similar in my book and I saw this crazy racing cop film it was the most insane film I’ve ever seen and maybe a few more serious Police films here and there but yeah for 1 channel and random hope it has been good these past few weeks πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

So looking back through the film section just checking out the films being mentioned and also some T.V. series’s πŸ™‚

I’ve watched a lot of Snow Piercer since being here in my family’s house when I had the first major chance to Netflix like ever and I binged Snow Piercer and finished a few films but when I hear people mention Snow Piercer which I haven’t finished at all even when speedy binging (cause we were gonna move so that’s why I was being speedy when I got the chances) it sounds completely different and has actors like Chris Evans you say and many actors people mention in the show I haven’t seen yet and never knew they were in the show and thinking when do they show up and your post @Criag says US version so are there 2 different versions ?

I think I’m on seasons 3-4 but its been months have to check.

The main reasons I watched cause I love trains – snow – trains smashing through snow ha and I love Jennifer Connelly from Career Opportunities and always delighted when finding a film or T.V. show she’s in such as Alita Battle Angel πŸ™‚

When finding the name of that film I looked in her wiki films list and bingo πŸ™‚ when I became aware of Jennifer Connelly from Career Opportunities and recent films I thought she always looked like she would be the same actress from Labyrinth but I thought I heard different somewhere but now its right πŸ™‚ and I am happy and amazed I guess that’s the first time I knew about this actress watched Labyrinth ages ago and it kinda freaked me out and then a second time still a bit nerve shilling but fun and glad its her she was sweet in that and her acting skills now are great πŸ™‚

Wow LabyrinthΒ  was released in Portugal πŸ™‚ makes me love the film more and Jennifer Connelly πŸ™‚

Happy times πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Labyrinth?Β Β  Was that the Henson one with David Bowie?Β Β Β  I thought that was pretty good.Β Β  Very watchable.Β  And Bowie was good in it too.Β Β  I’ve got it in my DVD collection.Β Β  Must give it a re-watch.

Of course Henson also did a hard sci-fi – Farscape.Β Β  Anyone who thought Muppets were always warm and fuzzy would have got a rude shock on encountering Rygel.Β Β  Farscape was made in Oz and some of that earthy Aussie humour seeped in, not all that different from the British working-class humour of Red Dwarf.

I’d never heard of Snowpiercer, just had to google it.Β Β  It sounds a bit darker than Mummy on the Orient Express.Β Β  Part of me wonders how a train could circumnavigate the globe (a couple of oceans might get in the way).Β Β  But this is sci fi, right?

By the way, I love trains too.Β Β  I managed one item on my ‘bucket list’ 5 years ago – the Trans-Siberian.Β Β  I’d wanted to do it for many years but all the travel agents were advertising $5000 for an all-inclusive tour – too much for me.Β Β  Then I found one can book direct on RzD’s website, a second-class ticket on Train 001 (the ‘Rossiya’ – it would be the Trans-Siberian Express if there was such a thing) from Vladivostok to Moscow cost me just $600. Β  6000 miles, six days.Β Β  That’s for one bunk in a 4-berth apartment in a huge carriage with masses of space and headroom. Β  I flew up to Vladivostok, train to Moscow, then on to Berlin and Paris and (just because I could) on via Irun and the Talgo ‘Trenhotel’ to Lisbon Oriente (was struck by Calatrava’s amazing architecture*) and took a suburban train to Sintra, which is as far west as the rails go in Europe (beyond that you’re in the Atlantic)**. Β Β  The Internet is absolutely great for travel and booking things.Β Β  No snow though, this was in June so just saw a couple of patches in Siberia.

*Vague Dr Who connection – Calatrava designed the fantastic City of Arts & Sciences in Valencia, which was used in the episode Smile!

(**Okay, I tell a lie.Β Β  Cascais is a couple of miles further west.Β Β  But I had a night in Sintra, which is a magic place, then I caught the bus from Sintra via Cabo da Roca to Cascais and the train back into Lisbon, so I sorta did the furthest westΒ  πŸ™‚Β Β Β  And the bus went right past the electric tram from Sintra to Praia das Macas, so I missed a trick there.Β Β  Not sure if it counts because it’s not connected to the railway system.Β Β  Anyway I am not going to travel the length of Asia and Europe again just toΒ  fix that little mistake!)

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey @dentarthurdent how have you been πŸ™‚

Yes but I think its a bit like Polar Express love that film πŸ™‚ with Tom Hanks πŸ™‚

Everything is frozen so ocean dont stop motion ha

Its actually pretty good maybe I wanted different but how they do it is nice and I guess I like more action after going through a tons of eps of a show but when it happens it can be good πŸ™‚

A few characters keep me interested πŸ™‚ as well as big train ha but also Jennifer Connelly is great bit like literally had the name in Water of Mars the Captain but young and like physical brutal too.

P.S. there are a few more famous faces you’ll recognise and used well πŸ™‚

Don’t have Netflix now but I got to where things start to shift lets say πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Well I watched a lot of films yesterday pretty much none stop films till night time where a few series were consumed as they say ha food gets everywhere πŸ™‚

I was gonna post about the shared actors in one of the films but I’ll do that tomorrow I guess πŸ™‚ just want happy as much as possible today πŸ™‚

I watched Happy Valley or Valley Girls yeah I think Happy Valley is the Police show so that’s getting me confused ha , it was like modern day parent talking to their teenage daughter about their life in the 80’s. I’ve seen a few films like that and at first this one was too cheesy but I liked it a lot in the end and was smiling happy πŸ™‚

It was like a film/musical at the same time ha any time anyone says something there would be a musical number with classic 80’s songs which I knew pretty much all of them πŸ™‚ so now I’ve got 80’s music in my head.

Yeah it was pretty nice guess the lesson is things dont always go the way you thought they would and I am convinced Jack Paul was in the show ha πŸ™‚

I do wonder if the 80’s were always that vibrant and movie like ha cause some real life recordings of people hanging out at that time well its not party every second but you know I would like to be in the 80’s for lots of reasons plus Bay Watch keeps saying they are in the 90’s but I think they started in the 80’s who knows but its sweet and that time period is sweet πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’ve been reading comics and finding a lot of sweet new charaters or ones I knew of but like better now πŸ™‚

For instance I didnt realse how cool Sage was – I heard of that mutant in like a top ten strange powers or such video and didnt seem a popular character but I thought cool mutant looks like a spy and her powers are sweet but I thought thats it, she is like super smart and rapid reaction times cause her brain opperates like a super computer and due to that and her look the character now reminds me of Matrix and Trinity πŸ™‚ but reading some issues yesterday and today a much cooler mutant/character and has far more powers and high level training to boot.

Really like this character πŸ™‚ also reading few issues of diffrent books ect and discovred this charater Nature Girl who has like antlers in her head like Sweet Tooth in a way πŸ™‚ and has really sweet nature powers even gelocial affecting powers πŸ™‚

I think I like awesome powers more than look of the character such as Havox disc rings looked amazing in the film and is a sweet power but also if the character has a cool look something unquie or not human you know espically if they have typiccal powers written typically like with flight powers lot of comic / film characters in and outside of X Men can fly but like Banshee who flys by sonic screams now thats sweet πŸ™‚

But if the character as I said has like typical powers written typically the look is important for me well maybe the character is awesome but straight away I don’t know that but if there’s just something interesting about their design I like that a lot πŸ™‚

Wolverine when I watched the first X Men film I didn’t know of these characters or anything X Men but having Wolverine near the start and his bladed claws appearing that was awesome and was the start of liking that character and X Men as a whole πŸ™‚

I think Stan Lee who I’ve been watching Interviews of recently he listened to the public with like Spider Man ect if I haven’t got that wrong but he was very aware of the look of characters being important in addition to how to make the reader or viewer care about them through like humanizing the character putting them in our shoes like every day problems we can relate with such as Spider Man being bullied or struggling with rent he really understood how to unlock our love for the character πŸ™‚

Take care everyone πŸ™‚

Stay Positive hugs πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Had dinner lovely pasta and chicken fillet thingys πŸ™‚

So I wanted to say but had to pause for dinner what characters are you looking forward to seeing in new X Men projects or any other projects in Marvel and DC πŸ™‚ I would like Sage, Chamber, maybe a film with Legion in but the TV show was soo great and designed for T.V. not sure what they could do better with him in film, maybe another go with the New Mutants characters cause their comic is good but the film I think its half liked half not.

I’m really looking forward to what new to live action characters we get to see in these up coming Marvel films especially in X Men πŸ™‚

Hopefully we branch out from the main group of Jean Professor X ect in some of these films and shows, there’s lots of potential and story lines that would be sweet if we get to see the wider world of X Men πŸ™‚ and mutants in general πŸ™‚

For DC I’m not as knowledgeable with characters maybe some solo shows about certain characters and then a big Batman and friends vs Joker and friends I know this seems like Marvel Avengers but that sort of step by step to a bigger arc may work well πŸ™‚

Poison Ivy, Man Bat, maybe even Killer Croc are the characters I would like to see more of in film/T.V. in some way maybe like in a vein similar to those Marvel specials or solo stories leading to team up πŸ™‚

P.SΒ  I was wondering if anyone knows who Magento’s Daughter (Nina) in X Men Apocalypse is meant to be , I tried searching for answers when I realized Nature Girl has the same powers as the daughter character in the film but with extra elements.

Polaris is Magento’s daughter and Google said even though her green hair is part of her mutation she has no nature powers at all just as I thought. Polaris has magnetic powers like her Father Magento and maybe some other elements but the character of Polaris and the Nina in the Apocalypse film are two different people with different names and I don’t know why or why they chose Nina in those film scenes unless its a concrete development in Magento stories like Spider Man losing Uncle Ben.

They had Quicksilver seeking Magento in that film after finding out that’s his Dad and themes of sticking with your family no matter what’s happend is in the film yet this daughter character (Nina) is not Polaris even if it were a younger version cause of the different powers.

I don’t know if she features in the lore/comics especially in the Apocalypse story line in comics but mainly wondering who is this Nina character, is she important lore wise if not why is she the only daughter of Magneto we have seen in life action films therefore the general audience who may not know of Polaris or Nina’s lore which includes me in that case goes around since the film has been out thinking Nina is Magento’s daughter who we didn’t get to see much of and like me will be confused later on when learning of Polaris and Nina not being mentioned or show to the same extent as the other Magento children.

Does someone here know whats the answers to these questions ?

Thank you πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I am keeping up to date on Marvel Shows and Film news ha I haven’t done this before in previous years apart from knowing of a few films here and there I was planning to see but really looking forward to whats next πŸ™‚

I hear there’s another SpiderMan film on the way maybe few years but that’s quick we just got one kinda crazyness how many SpiderMen films we’ve had in recent years but so far I have enjoyed all the ones I have seen and I reckon its gonna be another Sony led film and I look forward to it πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Correct @dentarthurdent πŸ™‚ that’s the David Bowie one πŸ™‚

It used to scare me when I first saw it still a bit unsettling at times but enjoyable and well now I love the actress Jennifer Connelly even more πŸ™‚ its the puppets that scare me especially Hoggle.

Ah Warwick Davis was in the film sweet πŸ™‚ I love him too and he’s been in a lot of films and T.V. projects πŸ™‚ even Doctor Who πŸ™‚

I like the adventure/fantasy aspects the maze ect looks sweet πŸ™‚

I’ve seen a lot of films today so far , again the one with the injured Dolphin although the film ended soo differently and abruptly I think there 2 different films with the same characters locations ect its got Morgen Freeman in it πŸ™‚

Then The Book of Life by Guillermo Del Toro so I knew to keep watching πŸ™‚ , we studied him in school, watched Pan’s Labyrinth which is really sweet and spooky but just great , he has done the Shape of Water, he is really famous in film and has amazing films and adding in his inspirations and growing up into them πŸ™‚

The Film was really sweet very colourful art and funny and the character designs reminded me of The Hotel Transylvania films πŸ™‚ but yeah that’s the second film I’ve watched about Mexico and traditions first being Coco so I knew the gist but was great πŸ™‚

Then was Shaun the Sheep movie πŸ™‚ which was sweet , I had watched this in Cinemas’s maybe for my Birthday with school friends years back but was really nice to re fresh my memory of it all and its just a happy little film πŸ™‚ with sweet music πŸ™‚

Then Paddington 2 but in Portuguese ha πŸ™‚ so I went around and watched an Amazon nature programme in Portuguese till that finished like 5 mins later and then on the news a giant pizza 7 meters across I guess haha πŸ™‚ and we were gonna have pizza so I thought that would be funny to tell my family but My Dad went for tuna instead πŸ™‚ at least I had Pasta yesterday that’s the best πŸ™‚

Take care everyone πŸ™‚ your never too old for simple joy so find the joy hugs πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I was just flicking through channels , Avatar was on but also the Amazing SpiderMan with Andrew Garfield πŸ™‚

This was my Spider Man πŸ™‚ like I had seen Spider Man 3 at some point 2 I think not sure if I just know the whole film from Youtube haha πŸ™‚

But Andrews was my SpiderMan really fun, high energy, caring and I liked the lizard, I have seen criticisms of Andrew’s Spider Man and knowing more of Sam Ramey trilogy ect my love for them has grown πŸ™‚ a lot , though as mentioned I have enjoyed all the Spidermen films I have seenΒ  but its nice watching this one when its on πŸ™‚

Is there any actors or characters you liked straight away vs those that took time for you to like ? πŸ™‚

As you all know Hugh Jackman and his version of Wolverine I loved instantly but that’s not often the case and it can be more special more worth it when that turn around occurs a deeper love for something πŸ™‚

Swing on by with your thoughts and loved characters πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I saw another Clint Eastwood film today πŸ™‚ this time he was a Baseball Scout πŸ™‚

Was I think more enjoyable than the one where he moves things around the Country for these gang members we had more time with Clint in this film , also had Justin Timberlake and a few other nice actors πŸ™‚

Pretty sweet and heartwarming πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I love Indian Jones , seen Temple , Crystal Skull (again recently) and look forward to the new one πŸ™‚

Anyone wanna talk about these films I would happily enjoy that πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

winston @winston

@oochillyoΒ Β  I like Andrew Garfield also and he was very good in the two part Doctor Who episode Daleks In Manhattan. He is a great actor.

stay safe

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’m actually looking forward to The new Fantastic 4 film πŸ™‚

As I’ve said before I’ve been keeping up to date this time on new Marvel projects, castings ect through Youtube and if they have the 2 or so actors I hope for I will totally check it out some day if possible πŸ™‚

They may change it apparently the confirmed castings well they keep swapping and all have to wait and see but my hope if its them that would be sweet πŸ™‚ really would boost my interest in the Fantastic 4 πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

What’s a film and we could have the same question in the T.V. section but whats a film that’s like heartwarming , your true like I could watch this all day and years away.

For me Will Smith – I Robot ever since I was like 5 I loved that film even tried to bring it to school DVD day I may have mentioned somewhere in the forum πŸ™‚ but yeah that film started my love of Will Smith πŸ™‚ maybe those Star sneakers ha πŸ™‚ but really love that film and the morality , the scenes , the mystery all soo sweet πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

@oochillyoΒ Β  I watched I Robot recently.Β Β  Picked up the DVD for a dollar in the local charity shopΒ  (my main source of DVD’s these days).Β Β  I wasn’t expecting much.Β Β  (A while before that I watched the re-make of Total Recall, the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie – the original was quite good.Β Β  Well the re-make was on Blu-Ray, the special effects were quite awe-inspiring, but – it left me cold.Β Β  It didn’t have the black humour or the Ahnold one-liners of the original).Β Β Β  SO,Β  I wasn’t expecting much of I, Robot.Β Β  But, rather to my surprise, I found it really good.

My favourite sci-fi movie of recent times (‘recent’ in my case means anything since 2000!)Β  is The Fifth ElementΒ  (okay, that was 1997, which just shows how far behind the times I am).Β Β  With Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich and Gary Oldman.Β Β  Highly entertaining from start to finish, and all the aliens were fantastically weird.Β Β  If I had to name a movie that I could watch again and again just for entertainment, it’d probably be that.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

We went out today with family πŸ™‚ busy day and like going through channels when we got home and saw on T.V. and then as I gave up cause nobody to talk to I just watched it American Graffiti πŸ™‚ it was soo nice I love that time and just pretty light and cars and crazy drivers younger than me getting away with driving powerful cars you cant do now and just that time and it was fun πŸ™‚ Harrison Ford was in it yay and I knew it I thought hey that guy looks soo close to his face is it him I asked my parents and we were all thinking then he smiled and that’s the look that cheeky Han Solo look ha πŸ™‚

Really sweet and then it finished and number 2 was on ha and it was nice not as nice / fun but we didn’t get as far into it before our usual shows were on and waiting for our fav show to watch with my Mum and then the T.V. went funny and I fixed it and then funny again and now its a mess spent like 30 minutes when I was talking to this lovely girl just got to know online language group and trying to fix our brand new modern T.V. we got and sign in this password this wifi error codes ect ect wrong channel selection just a mess and soo tired now cause of that and missing our show and probs gonna have to call the T.V. guys

I was saying to my parents about the film how things were soo simple then , cars simple, everyone talked to each other as they drive along just easy happy times and dancing and now modern cars and high way code is soo stressful and a mess and its just like that with the T.V. our old T.V. in our new home had like 19 channels 1 English one with films and NCIS none stop ha πŸ™‚ and now our brand new T.V. has over 7000 channels and now its gone ka put and is soo complicated even I cant fix it urgh

Take care everyone here’s to happier simple times cheers take care stay positive hugs πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Our T.V. is working yay so shows and films will be back πŸ™‚

I think a nice Mr Bean film would be lovely , pretty nice day today warm , beach time so Mr Bean’s Holiday would be lovely too πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Has anyone seen Herbie Fully Loaded or even the classic but about the modern one πŸ™‚ I love that film watched it when very young , soo cool and heartwarming and the It’s Magic song is soo beautiful I used to listen to that actually when watching sunrises soo sweet happy memories πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Watching the newest transformers film with a friend , kinda like date nightΒ  , we are laughing more about the film and being cute than paying attention to the film, funny film but its sweet πŸ™‚

I really like this friend sharing time with her makes days happier πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Pretty happy today , all the Harry Potter films are on up till 3am ha but yeah really enjoyable πŸ™‚

Good way for me to relax I guess just can watch those films think about the great actors , the magical , world , imagination , heart and family πŸ™‚

We Went out today , before that my family aloud me time to watch Prisoner of Azkaban πŸ™‚ very sweet of them and this is my fav Harry Potter film and maybe seen it once fully years ago and always liked it since and it was super nice 11/10 πŸ™‚ , I could watch them all day great opportunity with our few English channel options buts since I missed the first film and well much of number 2 I think one day I’ll go through them all step by step fully and that will be fun and wanna give my parents a break from Harry ha πŸ™‚

Really enjoyable though πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Take care everyone stay positive hugs πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

Listening to Blue (Da Ba Dee) for this cause aliens haha πŸ™‚

I’ve been feeling more and more unwell these past few days and my neck is worse so just watching Youtube drawing creativity techniques some really cool stuff today especially about drawing giant skellies which I have in my book πŸ™‚

Was going through the channels and found again this film I really enjoyed but caught like last 15 mins before and no idea what it was called but now I’ve got it and it was soo sweet πŸ™‚ I was like wow this is some sweet future tech ideas great CGI and monsters plus funny and it just was soo sweet as it carried on like Star Wars but more freeing like creativity and colours soo sweet the alien and ships designs amazing and I love the cast especially the 2 protagonists so very enjoyable to watch while curled up πŸ™‚

I’ve seen Enders Game last Month or so, both share ideas but Enders is like like brain teasing and questioning and this one is pure fun in some many areas πŸ™‚

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2017 – Bing images

I forgot if I have to link the image so just in case πŸ™‚

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets πŸ™‚

Image result for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2017

Regards – Declan Sargent

@oochillyoΒ Β  I’ve got that movie.Β Β  It’s insane, but entertaining.Β Β  Luc Besson on LSDΒ Β  πŸ™‚Β Β Β  The ‘Pearls’ remind me strongly of the aliens in Avatar.Β Β  Rihanna’s character ‘Bubble’ is entertaining (and sexy πŸ™‚Β Β  Visually, it’s spectacular.Β  Fun to watch.

Though, I think, it suffers compared with Besson’s earlier ‘Fifth Element’ (get that if you can, if you liked Valerian you’d love it).Β Β  Sort of demonstrates that ‘more of everything’ is not always better.Β Β  In fact I got Valerian because I’d watched and loved Fifth Element.Β Β  It (5th El) has Bruce Willis who was excellent, Milla Jovovich absolutely fantastic as Leeloo Multipass, and Gary Oldman as the ultimate buttoned-down Bond villain Zorg.Β Β  And all the myriad little details are nicely thought out.Β Β  I liked the wannabe robber who has a picture of scenery on his hat to fool those little front-door peepholes.

It feels a little more coherent than Valerian but is just as much fun to watch.Β Β  Probably my favourite sci-fi movie.Β Β  ‘Alien’ impresses me because it’s so well-made and atmospheric (and scary as hell);Β  Fifth Element I love because it’s so much fun.

Anonymous @

Ignore

Anonymous @

Some of the new shows/films I’ve watched over Christmas break:

Chicken Run 2
    It was just sort of okay. Nothing seemed to carry any weight like the first one and I think it was less family fun and more aimed at the kids only as a result.

Blue Eye Samurai
    Damn is this good. Think Game of Thrones in theme but set in Japan. It’s a bit too dark, but damn. Easily the best thing I’ve watched in a while. Looking forward to Season 2.

Toy Story 4
    I wasn’t sure this was really needed after the last 3 great films, but they just about managed to pull it off. It was surprisingly good.

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I too watched the new Chicken Run film on Christmas πŸ™‚ was very sweet yes I did feel like it went fast and like some stuff maybe didn’t make sense but generally seriously I’m glad its there you know something fun and colourful with again a serious message attached like it made sense like how brainless we can all be you know like with consumer stuff it was kinda creepy to be honest , I was watching my family’s reaction and maybe that’s why I felt like little hollow but I laughed quite a bit and look maybe I was too focused on if they liked it being a big hyped sequel and glad someone else has watched it and mentioned it on this forume cause yes I agree the first is probs best but for me I can say that and also have more relaxed time with the sequal πŸ™‚ and I did like it πŸ™‚ plus Molly is our little doggy so it was sweet and Molly was a cool character πŸ™‚ loved Frizzels’s accent πŸ™‚ it was good well made ect just some stuff was like is this a re do and it felt little short but I was happy πŸ™‚

Then we watched the famous Wolf of Wall Street on Christmas Day hahahahah what an eye opener but it was soo cool at times and like I can see why its soo high up in this is one of the best films type of comments you hear a lot πŸ™‚ really good acting by Leonardo , really cool use of like first person in a way , made that job seem soo fun and like I wanted to do it and yeah it was crazy I kinda lost what was the point of the ending but you know here we go again ha πŸ™‚

Yeah look health stuff has been really bothering me to the point where I just went down the hill at night with Derick but soo glad to hear Chicken Run 2 mentioned and it got me talking and happy about something πŸ™‚

Take care everyone stay positive and healthy hugs and love πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Regards – Declan Sargent

ps1l0v3y0u @ps1l0v3y0u

If 60’s sci fi is to anyone’s taste, I just got back from the gym to see β€˜Quatermass and The Pit’ on the schedules. Genuinely terrifying. Recording the second half.

Reluctant to watch β€˜Chicken Run’ because the gits told Julia Sawalha she was too old. As a voice artist. Don’t chickens get old? Almost mentioned Mel Gibson’s tendencies there… breathe. Breathe.

I might watch β€˜Withnail and I’ tonight, just to hear Brian Jone’s percussion at the start of β€˜All along the Watchtower.’

Anonymous @

@ps1l0v3y0u I really don’t get the voice acting decision. None and I mean, none of them sound the same. So why did they say she was too old? At least try and get someone who sounds close.

@ps1l0v3y0u I was forbidden by my parents to watch Quatermass (the TV series). Too scary. As I recall, there were all these ‘dead’ alien things hanging on racks in a warehouse. Then one of them flopped off. That’s all I know.

ps1l0v3y0u @ps1l0v3y0u

@dentarthurdent

Q & The Pit, the film is a bit Hammery, and die-hard fans criticised it, but I thought it delivered.

I don’t remember the tv show. Spike Milligan lampooned the original version in β€˜The Scarlet Capsule’

”unexploded German skulls? I hadn’t thought of that…”

Mudlark @mudlark

@ps1l0v3y0uΒ  @dentarthurdent

Quatermass and the Pit:Β Β I’ve never seen the film, so I can’t comment on that,Β  but I remember the live TV production featuring Andre Morell as Quatermass and Cec Linder as Roney very well indeed – December 1958/January 1959, so I would have been 16 and my brothers 11 and 13. We can still quote bits of the dialogue. It was chillingly effective and probably gained from being shown in weekly instalments with cliffhangers. The effects were remarkably good given the limitations of TV at the time.

@dentarthurdentΒ  What you remember is the closing scene of one episode. Sladden had been trying to drill through a bulkhead into the sealed compartment at the front of the alien ceramic vessel without success, then the bulkhead started to rotate and open, apparently of its own accord, revealing the mummified corpses of three tripedal, horned insectoid creatures hanging in the remains of some kind of organic webbing, then one slips suddenly, making everyone, including the audience jump. Quatermass said, if I remember correctly, ‘It’s all right, they’re dead; they’ve been dead a very long time’ – fade to credits.

At the time my brothers and I were expected to take turns each evening in going down to the cellar to fetch the coke for the hot water boiler and solid fuel cooker. The cellars were extensive, only partially lit, and the coal cellar was at the far end. Oddly enough, during the weeks Quatermass was on whoever’s turn itΒ  was always seemed to have an excuse to take someone with them.

@mudlark

The 1958 version of “Quatermass and the Pit with Andre MorellΒ is brilliant, and still very creepy. I have it on DVD, and a quick check reveals it is still available for purchase in the UK and North America. Surely a new year’s treat is in order…

Another TV adaptation of a distinctly British version of “end of the world” fiction that is surprisingly effective is the BBC version ofΒ Day of the TriffidsΒ with John Duttine. Miles better than other versions.

Nigel Kneale, John Wyndham…great stuff, fabulous writers.

@mudlark I share your nervousness at dark spooky places. (I’m not as bad as I was). But movie directors know, it’s not what you *can* see that’s frightening, it’s what you can’t. The noises in the future base at the end of time in ‘Listen’ for example, scare the daylights out of me.

As a University student I had a holiday job with the Ministry of Works. The Newmarket Viaduct (a long box-girder motorway viaduct) had developed cracks and they had installed strain gauges across a crack in a middle span, and once a week someone had to go and read them – guess who got the job? Each span was a concrete box 5 feet high, eight feet wide and 50 feet long, with a bulkhead (wall) across the end with an access hole about 21″ wide and 15″ high at the base of the wall, into the next box. So from under one end of the viaduct, I had to climb a ladder into the bottom of a box, then make my way crouching through seven or eight boxes and crawling through the access holes by the light of my torch to reach the strain gauges. Spooky?? (These days ‘Elf & Safety would have a field day, suppose I’d been taken ill or banged my head?)

Dug out my DVD of the “Quatermass Collection” last night and watched (for the first time) the first Quatermass story to be filmed — “The Quatermass Experiment” from 1953. It (that is, the first 2 episodes that survive of the 6 filmed) was great! And genuinely creepy. It was very early days for BBC television (and probably the oldest TV show I have seen, so it had a strangely archeological Β appeal. Quatermass was played (very well) by Reginald Tate, and it was filmed live, so it had a certain theatrical feel to the interaction of the actors. The story…no, I won’t, as anyone who fondly remembers “Quatermass and the Pit” should watch it without spoilers.

And why do only 2 out of 6 episodes survive? It turns out that the BBC, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to even press the “record” button for the last four episodes! Fortunately, you can download the whole script, however, from the DVD.

Highly, highly recommended.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.