General Films thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films General Films thread

This topic contains 259 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 251 through 260 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

So I went to see the new Star Wars movie today – cos I hate spoilers but I’m on the internet all the time. So NO SPOILERS here.

I was underwhelmed, which is a shame because I like director Rian Johnson’s work a lot. ‘Brick’ is a fantastic movie and Looper has a lot of good ideas even if it doesn’t quite hold completely together.

This is the longest ever Star Wars movie, and yet it probably has the least plot. So it drags at times. The pacing is really off. I just feel it could’ve been so much better.

There are some good moments, in fact some really strong, exciting moments, but not enough. I’d say Rogue One was a better Star Wars movie, even though it has its flaws. At least in that movie there was a plot.

But there was no Death Star in this one. For that we can be thankful.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

On the other hand, I also saw a brilliantly lovely movie this week called The Big Sick. Not that it really means anything, but it has 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. I heartily recommend it. There is talk that it will at least be up for Best Screenplay at the Oscars. It’s a heartwarming film, and definitely one for our times.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig

The Big Sick is definitely one of the gems of the year.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Last Jedi too. Hearing wildly conflicting reports on it. Some love it. Some hate it. Will probably check it out next week though have to see I am feeling a little bit of Star Wars fatigue at the moment. I wonder if Disney’s production line approach to Star Wars movies at the moment is going to end up being counter-productive. It’ll all be down to the tone, I guess. I really liked Rogue One and its grittiness was really quite refreshing.

ichabod @ichabod

Loved The Big Sick — very strong sense of people maturing right before our eyes.

janetteB @janetteb

We are waiting until Boxing Day to see the new Star Wars film, in keeping with tradition. In Oz big films always opened on Boxing Day until a few years ago and so that was when we did the line up to see LOTR with friends and went out for dinner after at a favourite Indian Restaurant. Since then Boxing Day is cinema day followed by curry.
    The Star Wars franchise is becoming very production line. Disney will milk it. (Reminds me of a line from Martin Chuzzelwit about screwing money out of the customer) If it wasn’t for the Boxing Day tradition I would probably not bother to see it in cinema.
    Have heard good things about The Big Sick. Will look out for it.
    Cheers
    Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig

Saw it this afternoon and have to say that I was left not exactly loving it either. Definitely preferred Rogue One. It’s too long for starters definitely. And there’s a few nonsensical plot moments. It’s a shame because it does go out of its way to correct some of the bloodline supremacist nonsense that had crept into Star Wars lore and there are also some fine moments too… but overall oddly soporific for what’s basically an action movie….

Missy @missy

Not a fan of Star Wars, or Star Trek, but I truly hope you all enjoy the coming films.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Finally got to see the film on Boxing Day. Boys spent the next two days ranting about how bad it was. Next year we are going to see Mortal Engines on Boxing Day rather than the next Star Wars film. Hope that doesn’t end up so badly. It is an adaptation of R.3s favourite book which makes it risky however Peter Jackson is the producer so have hope it will be as good as the source material, and I think Steam Punk is a long missed opportunity in cinema. To date only two mainstream films have touched upon it, Golden Compass and Hugo so fingers crossed.
    Cheers
    Janette

janetteB @janetteb

Oh and a note on the Star Wars film, what annoyed me most, even more than the cutesy Disney critters on the island which were so clearly “photoshopped” in, the scenes that were purely designed for 3d effect, or the pointless script, was Ray’s makeup. There she is, a “tomboy” character type on a remote island with perfect makeup of the “spend an hour in front of a mirror” category. It didn’t match the character or the situation, just the Hollywood ideal of what a woman should be. Grrrr
    Cheers
    Janette

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I went to see “Three Billboards…” tonight.

It’s really good. Not even just really good, but really, really good. Even really, really, really good.

I was totally wrapped up in it, fully engaged, I laughed, I was moved, I cried a little, and the plot constantly had me out-foxed. It’s brilliantly done.

Frances McDormand and and Sam Rockwell truly deserve their Golden Globes for their acting, the film deserves its Best Film award, and it should probably win everything really.

Gets a big thumbs up from me – one of the best of the year. I have no doubt about it.

It even has what I personally call a ‘Kubrick’ ending – which is a very good thing in my book – all films should have them (although then they wouldn’t be special, I guess).

There is a little bit of controversy. I can see the point, it crossed my mind, but I think the people offended are wrong. But I can understand that, if taken on face value, there are some things that might really anger people – even make them totally furious and want to boycott the film or burn down the cinema.

That’s kinda the beauty of it – it’s not just a movie you watch then it’s over and you go for a beer or go to bed – it’s something you’ll talk about with people for a while, for days maybe. Which to me is a sign of a good movie, not a bad one or one that should be pilloried. You actually have to think about it for a while and piece it all together in your brain afterwards.

Viewing 10 posts - 251 through 260 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.