General Films thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Films General Films thread

This topic contains 358 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Oochillyo 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 359 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Tell us what you’ve been enjoying in the world of film. This section can develop in the future depending upon demand.

janetteB @janetteb

The Hobbit naturally. Have seen it twice in 48 frame and in 2d. Loved it in both formats.

I’m not a fan of action films but The Dark Knight Rises looks good. I think I might go with the boys to see that one when it comes out.

Cheers

Janette

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Just re-watched “The Thief of Bagdad” (the 1940 version with Sabu and Conrad Veidt). One of the most wonderful films ever made, and my choice for the best fantasy film ever.

(and in a funny sort of way, it has the same fairy tale quality that Moffat aims for in Who. But even Moffat can’t match the genius of this movie)

janetteB @janetteb

I really enjoyed all the old Sinbad movies. At once stage we had quite a collection all on video unfortunately. We tried transitioning them to DVD but that didn’t really work probably because the kids would jump about near the computer and shake up the DVD player.

cheers

Janette

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Skyfall Meets the Time Vortex – Bond and Who: The Fiftieth Anniversaries

SPOILERS FOR SKYFALL

………………………………………………….
    Isn’t it interesting that two of Britain’s biggest fictional character exports, James Bond and The Doctor, both reach their 50th anniversaries this year?

As characters, they could not be more different. Or could they? Both are styled iconoclastic rule-breakers with their own fierce codes of morality; head and shoulders above most of their fellow agents/ Time Lords because of their creative individualism. That’s how the British like to see themselves; eccentric, honourable, brilliant rule-breakers with a strong sense of duty. National myths are often most visible in national fiction.

Skyfall is better than Quantum of Solace by an incalculable mile, but then Quantum was a truly turgid and lacklustre affair. Skyfall has been nominated for all the awards and it’s done extremely well at the box office too. I think the uneven but enduring franchise has finally realised that what carries a movie cannot be incredible stunts and stunning sultry women alone (although we expect them in Bond) but a half-decent script, a great director and some wholly decent actors.

Daniel Craig plays an older and more vulnerable Bond and it suits him. Judi Dench is allowed by this script to be a more complex character, ruthless, fond and mistaken. She does it beautifully. I can never resist Ralph Fiennes in anything. He brings his oft-played icy yet fragile majesty to this film. And Naomie Harris, as MoneyPenny, turns in the most actually seductive seduction scene with 007 I think I’ve ever seen. A flirtatious but tender exchange by Shanghai city lights which leaves more than it reveals to the imagination. I really like Ms. Harris.

The script trailed off in its latter half, unfortunately, although shots of the desolate loveliness of Scotland were almost worth it.

My major gripe was the character of Javier Bardem; not Bardem himself I hasten to add, who is an accomplished actor with a pantherian quality. No, I was deeply disappointed that the old trope of an effete and mentally unstable Bond villain (because “homosexuality is creepy, folks!”) could still, so lazily, be written in 2012.  However, Bond’s response was a sign of changing times, because, far from being homophobic, it hinted at a bisexual past for 007.

Here, we can tie Bond and Who in their fiftieth years together again, because, in the half century since their inception, one of the most significant changes in British society has been the changing acceptance of homosexuality/ bisexuality; from Joe Orton’s adventures in cottaging at the cusp of decriminalisation, to a Conservative PM (however opportunistically) proposing to legislate for same-sex marriage.

These national narratives of ours, Ian Fleming’s James Bond, and Sydney Newman, Verity Lambert and others’ Doctor Who, reflect those changes. A bisexual Bond (however hinted at, off-camera and one-upon-a-time) and a Doctor with a lesbian lizard woman from the dawn of time and her Victorian maid wife as (occasional) TARDIS companions? Our most well-known fictional icons of Britishness have, along with the rest of British society, stepped some way out of the closet in time for the new century.

I have to say that Doctor Who has been doing it better, for longer, with thanks to Russell T. Davis, Moffat and the reboot. But then, when it comes to The Doctor vs Bond, the former has always been an infinitely preferable iteration of British fantasy masculinity; patrician and arrogant maybe, but endearingly shambolic, fiercely bright, and more concerned with a shared chat, a great day out and a cup of tea and biscuits than a license to kill. Some might say, given our colonial past, that both are highly idealised versions of British interactions with other nations! And so they are, but that I think, is a subject for another day.

@craig and @phaseshift – if you thing this would be better as a blog post because it’s too long as a general post, by all means convert it…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

what carries a movie … a half-decent script, a great director and some wholly decent actors.

It’s all you ever need.

Interesting posts, thanks. Will be back to this thread when I have a bit more time 🙂

Those of you with exquisite taste (ie all of you) may find this interesting. The promo is awesome:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

Kristen Bell may be my choice as first female Doctor. She rocks, even is she did get pregnant by someone who is not me.

(BTW, If you haven’t seen House of Lies check it out)

How the hell do you make a new thread here?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

How the hell do you make a new thread here?

Ask @craig or @phaseshift.

Not me. Sorry, Craig, I know you offered and I didn’t reply, but I’ve just sorted out a problem with local time not displaying properly, files not loading properly and then I need to look at our chat and wiki facilities – I really don’t want to take on mod responsibilities for another site. 😀

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan (@pedant)

Hiya – What type of thread were you thinking about? I think it was generally agreed to keep things to general threads until a topic that came up got a fair few responses and was spun off into a more specific thread.

I have to admit total ignorance about Veronica Mars (although I saw a link about the story on the G just now when I looked to see if the next Dan Martin old Who episode was up).

If your up for it, do you want to write a blog introducing the uninitiated to the undoubted delights of Ms. Mars? Why it’s good? Favourite episodes? A smattering of YouTube clips? I have something I hope to complete for the weekend but if you fancy a bit of advocacy on what I’ve missed, I’d enjoy reading it.

Unfortunately “The Power of Mod” doesn’t enable me to do anything about the minor incursion of Spam overnight. I must perform a spell to raise the mighty and powerful KeyMaster @craig (Praise Him).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift Apologies, took my eye off the ball for a few days and the little buggers got in. I’ve been busy building a Record Label/ecommerce site and it’s been taking up a lot of time.

I’ve deleted them all and put even more anti-spam measures in place. Fingers crossed it now works better than the last few measures!

Happy to do a post, but it was more puzzlement – the Veronica Mars tit bit (apparently the fastest Kickstarter to $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 ever, btw) wasn’t really a review/ recommendation but an unusual item of interest to genre fans (think Nancy Drew, as imagined by Raymond Chandler (Line from opening narration: “Want to know how I lost my virginity? So do it…” – as dark as prime time US TV allows, essentially) )- but if it’s not new thread-worthy, that’s fine.

I had vaguely heard about it, then a totallylegimatedownload popped up. I grabbed, started watching with a view to seeing 2 or 3 eps. 10 eps later it was 3am….

I suspect it is not available on Region 2 DVDs, but might be wrong. If anyone finds it, grab it. You won’t be disappointed. Pretty well every writer you like – Whedon, Goddard, Espenson from over there, RTD and Moff both, have name-checked it.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Thanks @craig, a pain in the backside I’m sure. Good luck with the project.

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan (@pedant)

It’ll be interesting to see if the kickstarter model takes off. I saw this article on Joss Whedon’s reaction to the news which was interesting.

Personally I’d welcome a few recommendations and longer posts on shows to watch. I think my point was more that if you’d like to write something we could use that as the start of a blog, giving other people something to bounce off if you will. I know @juniperfish is busy at the moment but I’d love to see if she could write something to tempt me to watch “The Vampire Diaries”. 🙂

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@phaseshift

Haha I doubt VERY much I could write anything that would tempt you to watch The Vampire Diaries.

However… you know I like a challenge 🙂

I am still drowning in work alas, but a semblance of sanity will return in a couple of weeks so then you’re on!

@pedant I haven’t seen Veronica Mars but now you’ve tempted me. So many shows, so little time! I haven’t even got started on The Walking Dead yet.

I’m about to catch up on the Neverwhere radio adaptation – thanks to @bluesqueakpip for reminding me.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Troll Hunter (in Norwegian)

Where the Wild Things Are

The Dark Crystal

Night of the Demon

The Wicker Man (original)

Lair of the White Worm

Wizards

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I realised today that I’d never posted my favourite movies here. I have a lot. It would be a very long list. When I was at Edinburgh University I helped run the film society, which was the biggest in the UK. We had 3 double bills a week – I saw far too many movies. At The Pleasance (which you may have heard of due to The Edinburgh Festival) I used to do the projection some of the time as it was 16mm – 35mm projection is a lot more complex. Many fun memories of being in the booth.

Anyway, I love a load of old movies, but several of Fritz Lang’s blew me away when I was young. Probably my fave is The Big Heat, which I just looked up on Rotten Tomatoes and it gets 100%, so worth checking out. There’s all the usual 70s and 80s suspects such as Coppola and Scorsese, the Coen brothers I love too. But I think this may be my favourite. Because it’s a true story, that happened to real people, of brave people doing brave things, and it is extremely well told. It only gets 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, but you can’t always please everyone.

I do have issues with it, the female characters are not as well defined as they could be and there are hints of misogyny – but it is a film about men being men so it would be hard to avoid.

So despite some moments making me cringe, I still love it overall. I love Doctor Who flying about space and time, but the true story of the breaking of the sound barrier, and then of the first American astronauts and our own baby steps into space, makes fantastic viewing.

This trailer doesn’t do it any justice, but it is a brilliant film and I highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it.

Ah, yes, The Right Stuff. Great book and film – though I admit that, personally, I always preferred Apollo 13.

To be truthful, I think that’s because I was old enough to remember Apollo 13; especially the feeling of the world holding its breath as NASA fought to get them back alive.

And while we’re on films about our baby steps into space, may I recommend The Dish? It’s kind of a ‘based vaguely on real events’ film rather than a drama-doc, but it’s very, very funny. And Parkes Observatory does look like it’s set in the middle of a sheep-run; the logic was that by placing it in Parkes, middle of nowhere NSW (pop. slightly less than 10,000) they’d avoid a great deal of radio interference.

Parkes Observatory, by the way, is still working with NASA and also has an extremely impressive record of discovering pulsars.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip I love The Dish too, fantastic film and great fun. Apollo 13 is also very good but nowhere near my top 10… and as for being better than The Right Stuff, maybe I’ll have to check it out again to get a fuller appreciation. But considering The Big Heat, The Godfather and Millers Crossing don’t beat The Right Stuff in my final list (although close), maybe it’s just a me thing, maybe something in that movie just flicks all the right switches – a bit funny, a bit geeky, a bit heroic, a bit macho, a bit macho-is-actually-pathetic etc. etc.

The Dish is, indeed], awesome. The sequenced when they are listening to the final approach is stunningly well made.

The only error (as opposed to fictionalisation) was referring to the Saturn V Rocket, pronouncing thr letter. Any self-respecting 10 year old at the time (*cough*) knew it was a Saturn V as in FIVE.

And Parkes really did have a two line contract…

WhoHar @whohar

Some Timey-Wimey and Reality er Weality quotes on the movie Harvey, surprisingly enough:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Harvey

WhoHar @whohar

Thinking about @craig and @curvedspace‘s discussion on the kitsch aspects of Flash Gordon set me wondering. Is there a movie that you like / love that you really shouldn’t. You know, it’s poorly written or acted, dodgy production values but, but you just can’t help it. A guilty pleasure if you will.

I’ll start. Two words. Hudson Hawk.

Bruce Willis as a singing cat burglar, Danny Aiello as his assistant, Andi Macdowell as a nun, James Coburn as head of the CIA, Richard E Grant and Sandra Bernhard as villains, characters called Kit Kat and Snickers and a mythical Leonardo da Vinci alchemy machine. What’s not to love? Plenty, it turns out. What can I say? I’m bearing my soul here people.

curvedspace @curvedspace

Flash Gordon tops my list; I’ve loved that movie since I was about seven.

Hackers. Even people who haven’t worked in tech (I’ve done QA/IT) know that the technology is ridiculous. Plus the villain is cheezy and I’ve never met hackers like those kids. But the music is good, and the movie makes me laugh. (Sneakers, OTOH, is a hacker movie that holds up.)

I will also admit to indulging in the occasional Xanadu cheesefest. Good music and good costumes again (I’m detecting a theme). And this one I can watch with my toddler, which makes a nice break from the replays of Sesame Street and the Miyazaki movies suitable for kids.

Anonymous @

@whohar – I’m not sure this meets your criteria, as it’s fairly well-written, the acting is hammy in some cases but not too OTT, and the production values are pretty good.  But, it is indeed a movie I don’t care to admit to my RL friends that I like – A Knight’s Tale.

Every time I watch it, I think ‘this just shouldn’t work!’  It’s so gloriously loopy in its medieval setting but with jousting crowds chanting ‘We will … we will … rock you’ and genteel ball-goers grooving to ‘Golden Years’.  The accents are all over the place – especially Heath Ledger’s – and that’s probably the only place it falls down.

It’s a mash-up of so many different movies that in less restrained hands it could have turned into something like Scary Movie.  But it’s consistently laugh-out-loud funny even after repeat viewings; and Paul Bettany as ‘Geoff’ Chaucer is a joy to watch.

@curvedspace – Sneakers is one of my all-time favourite movies.  I love how they take the mickey out of themselves the whole way through – Robert Redford and Sydney Poitier saying ‘we’re getting too old for this’, River Phoenix wanting the girl, Dan Aykroyd making fun of conspiracy theorists and his weight, and (Sir) Ben Kingsley doing the worst Brooklyn accent ever.  (actually, Sir Ben probably wasn’t doing a self-parody.  I don’t think he has a sense of humour. 🙂 )

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@htpbdet and anyone else who follows musicals, Johnny Depp, and upcoming movies:

I’d mentioned Stephen Sondheim musicals in another thread. Speaking of Sondheim’s Into The Woods, Disney’s signed Johnny Depp (Big Bad Wolf), Meryl Streep (Witch), Chris Pine, Tammy Blanchard and more … to be directed by Rob Marshall (who did one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies)

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/two-more-join-disney-s-into-the-woods_3779222

not sure if I should be cringing or smiling

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

@tardisblue – I used to think Johnny Depp was such an interesting actor making interesting choices, never the same character in films which were wildly different in tone and subject (What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?, Edward Scissorhands, etc).

Now, I see his name attached to a movie and sigh in quiet desperation and assume the project will be shite.

However, the cast for In The Woods as per your link contains some names that appear to be must-see – not just Streep but also Christine Baranski (Cinderella’s wicked stepmother).  Less of a must-see but still interesting casting are James Corden and Emily Blunt.  So, maybe this one will be good … although that having been said, Depp is playing the Big Bad Wolf so my trepidation starts over-riding my excitement …

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@tardisblue @Shazzbot

Depp should be fine as the Wolf although he just won’t sing Hello Little Girl with the rapacious glee and dexterity it needs.

Far more troubling, however, is Corden as the Baker. I can’t see that. But Sondheim, who has final casting approval, and Marshall, who is a genius, obviously do. Hopefully, he will be the surprise…

Corden as the Baker. I can’t see that.

@htpbdet – because of the character’s dramatic range, I take it? Probably why Corden wants to do it – if he can pull it off, it’s going to widen his casting quite a lot.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@bluesqueakpip

The Baker is the key to the whole show and the relationship between he and his wife a delicate, real one which sits in contrapuntal mode against the fairytale action.

And he needs to sing really very well. (Corden does not)

Corden may surprise me but based on everything I have seen him do (live, on TV and in auditions) I can’t see it.

But I will certainly see the film – as you say he might pull it off.

Patrick Wilson wanted to pay the Baker and I rather wish he had been cast. Oh well…

wolfweed @wolfweed

Robin Hardy to complete The Wicker Man trilogy
    http://www.screendaily.com/5059535.article
    z

Anonymous @

Available on iPlayer until very late at night next Tuesday 15th October:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tc29d/Frequently_Asked_Questions_About_Time_Travel/

If you haven’t seen it, it’s pretty darned funny.  And stars Chris O’Dowd, Dean Lennox Kelly, and Marc Wootton.

Comedy about three ordinary men who hold the fate of the world in their hands when they discover a rift in the space-time continuum in their local pub.

Borklaydoctor @borklaydoctor

and of course hunger games well maybe book

Anonymous @

Tonight (well, tomorrow really) at 01:10, Film4 are showing ‘Haxan:Witchcraft Through The Ages’ as part of it’s ‘Dark Arts’ season. Made in 1922, if this is a typical example of horror/supernatural films from that period (especially European ones) it should be pretty creepy 😈

P.S. Happy Halloween

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Here are my top 10 favourite films

1) Alien (1979)
    2) Don’t Look Now (1973)
    3) The Ipcress File (1964)
    4) The General (1927)
    5) Jaws (1975)
    6) The Great Escape (1963)
    7) Head (1968£
    8) The Omen (1976)
    9) Alfie (1966)
    10) Manhattan (1979)

Whisht @whisht

hey @thekrynoidman – nice list.

Now, as is the way with “top” lists, you and I probably have about a hundred films in our “top ten”. My brother (genius and all round good guy) had a really interesting alternative to a “top” list of songs – he asked “what three songs would I like to hear right now?”

so – what three movies would you like (the choice to see unless you like marathons) right now?
    What’s great is that I’d bet it’d include film(s) that aren’t on that list!

and if you’d like to do that with music… there’s a thread for that.

🙂

oh, and the Day of the Doctor doesn’t count

😉

@whisht that’s an interesting theory your brother has. At the moment the only film I feel like watching is Superman (1978).

Anonymous @

@whisht

what three movies would you like to see right now?

Now, there’s a Desert Island alternative list question!  Of course, ‘right now’ will differ from moment to moment, eh?  (sore-ry, went all Canadian on you there 🙂  ).

If I feel in need of gentle comedy, pathos, and big themes, I’d go for ‘The Dish’, or ‘Dave’.  If my current mood is bordering on dangerous with a need for a hearty helping of cynicism, I’d go for ‘Dogma’.  And if I just want to laugh at the outrageousness of existence, I’d put in ‘Blades of Glory.’

Of course, whatever mood I’m in, Mark Knopfler is always welcome, so ‘Local Hero’ or ‘The Princess Bride’ will always do nicely.  🙂

Your brother and you have lots in common, I think … so, Whisht – what would be the three films YOU would want to watch, right now?

Whisht @whisht

hey – thanks @Shazzbot!
    apologies for lateness of reply, been away from the forum with a bunch of dull distractions!

Right now I’d like to see films I should have seen but haven’t yet (eg There Will Be Blood or the latest Batman trilogy).

If I just need a laugh, surely Airplane can’t be bettered.

Just don’t call me Shirley.

🙂

gctv @gctv

As much as I love big blockbusters like the Hobbit and I was very entertained by Pacific Rim, I’m a big supporter of independent British Films. There is so much more than just football and east end gangster films out there that seem to get a lot of the mainstream attention. Myself and my friend Paul have started a little youtube review show called ‘Best of British’ trying to dig up films that most people may have missed. The first film we watched was ‘The Hide’, a contained thriller with just two characters which ended up being the best film ive watched all year!

RocknRollGhost @rocknrollghost

I finally caught 12 Years a Slave the other afternoon – powerful, incredibly so.  Saw The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday and was disappointed in it  – after hour 2 you’ve seen every depraved act of excess you need to and the rest becomes overkill. Great performance by DiCaprio, but Scorsese and writer Terence Winter have nothing to say of worth about greed/excess and the criminality of Wall Street.

Anonymous @

I’d like to use the might hive brain of the forum. I have vague memories of a film (or possibly TV episode) that gave me the willies when I was a kid, featuring David McCallum being menaced by a creeping disemembered hand. Was it the version of Frankenstein that he appeared in? Thanks in advance if anyone can remember it…

@jimthefish

I don’t know if it’s what you’re talking about but according to IMDB, David McCallum was in Frankenstein: the True Story from 1973, which also has Tom Baker in it.

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman — yeah, I saw that, cheers. I’ve actually seen that version of Frankenstein years ago but I can’t remember the creeping hand scene from it. Maybe it was. It certainly had some haunting moments in it anyway. Gah, it’s really bugging me now.

Whisht @whisht

Sorry @jimthefish – only thing I can think of was The Hand with Michael Caine… and a quick whizz on imdb doesn’t ring any bells (including the Hammer episode with McCallum).

lets hope the hive starts to buzz…

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@jimthefish,

couldn’t have you really bugged about David McCallum now … 1960’s international heartthrob (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) and the best bow tie wearing and opera loving forensic examiner currently on screen in the states (NCIS).

So I took quick look-sees at reviews of some likely-looking listings on his long list of credits. No slam dunks, but basketball is probably not his best sport, methinks. Too American. Too fast moving. Too, dare I say it?, tall. Still, I hope I’ve narrowed down the field for you. Some TV show summaries left the possibility of disembodied hands open to speculation.

I haven’t seen these, but here are some possibilities culled from McCallum’s extensive credits.

The Outer Limits episode The Sixth Finger. The episode is discussed toward the end of this article. No mention of disembodied, menancing hands, but, hey, at least there are body parts mentioned I the title. http://www.davidmccallumfansonline.com/Outer%20Limits.htm

The Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense. McCallum works at an auction house which acquires a mysterious necklace … mysterious things start to happen … did I mention that this mysterious episode is full of mystery? Plus a little romance, apparently. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087087

probably not this B– horror flick, but hard to rule out based on what little I found out about it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116060/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

And the final possibility: Short-lived TV series The Invisible Man McCallum plays the scientist whose experiment goes awry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Man_%281975_TV_series%29

Let us know if any of these turn out to be what you were looking for.

And, if you want to thank me for all this extra credit sleuthing, well, you could always place McCallum’s late 1970’s – early 1980’s series Sapphire and Steel at the top of our Who-adjacent filling in the long months before October 2014 viewing queue. Non-human interdimensional operatives, policing the order of timee itself. Definitely worth a retrospective, IMHO. Especially since, as far as I know, iti was never shown in the states and I’ve always had a fan-girl crush on McCallum’s Illya Kuryakin (The Man from U.N.C.L.E..) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%26_Steel

TardisBlue

Anonymous @

@tardisblue — thanks for the detective work. Yeah, most of the ones you mentioned above did cross my mind. I’m thinking that the Frankenstein one is probably the most likely candidate so will probably have to try and source a copy if such a thing is possible.

RE. Sapphire and Steel, I refer you to our esteemed colleague @phaseshift‘s blog on the programme quite some months ago (and I suspect before you joined us)

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@jimthefish,

TY, your fishiness.  I definitely will check out @phaseshift‘s blog when I have a mo or ten.  Want the time to give it justice.  Have a friend coming over for dinner in less than an hour and no Tardis to cook the turkey in!  Gotta get crackin’

By the bye, has there been anything substantive posted on here about Quartermass?  I’ve seen it mentioned referentially often, but I missed out on it due to relative youth, parents not having met yet, country of birth, and a bunch of other tired excuses.

TardisBlue

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@tardisblue

Well, I hope you enjoy the bit on Sapphire and Steel. @miapatrick asked for it to be included on the rewatch list as well.

Just on Quatermass, I’d love to include something, but I’ve been grappling with how to do it. You can’t really overestimate it’s resonance and impact (not just in the UK – both Stephen King and John Carpenter among others cite Quatermass and the Pit as big influences), but it’s a question of go with the original TV series (and Quatermass and the Pit is the only one that survives in it’s entirety), the films (which I’ll mention as this is the film thread 😉 ) or cheat and cover the “live” attempt at restaging The Quatermass Experiment of the mid 2000s (which is notable for including David Tennant and Mark Gatiss).

Quatermass and the Pit, the TV series is 6 x 35 minute episodes, so it depends on how people feel about reviewing 1950s TV for that duration. Personally, I think it’s fantastic for its time.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Sorry, forgot to mention @jimthefish, I’ve been struggling to remember anything that would fit the bill on McCallum being menaced by a hand, but I’m coming up blank. I’ve seem the version of Frankenstein before, but I don’t remember a scene like that (although that could be time playing tricks).

If you find out, let me know. If McCallum can sell being menaced by a floating pillow in S&S, he can pretty much sell being menaced by anything! 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish @phaseshift

30 seconds in. Look familiar? I don’t know if it menaces him, but it looks a bit menacing.

Anonymous @

@craig — I’m increasingly convinced it is Frankenstein that I’m misremembering from all those years ago. I do remember seeing that film when I was quite small and it giving me the wiggins for years after.  And it’s slowly but surely inspiring something now, no doubt after festering away inside me for all those years…

Good find. Many thanks…

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.