General Music thread 2

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 2

This topic contains 1,008 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@miapatrick thanks for your musical offering! (and how are you by the way? -I think it was you talking about an excellent grade you received for a subject recently completed? If not, well, congratulations anyway. Pick a thing: any thing!)

@todeledo thank you for the music -the Hillywood and The Pianist.

Kindest to all you musos,

puro

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@purofilion- yes that was me, managed to scrape a distinction despite moving house (in a very basic, no budget fashion) during the course. Thank you!

Whisht @whisht

ah @purofilion – in terms of Scott Walker, like so many artists I probably like the idea of Scott Walker more than the artist themselves.

Something delightfully barmy/ unlikely/ just slightly ‘other’.

I think (I may be wrong) that I linked to this song as a ‘song for a companion’ when discussing Amy and Rory and the Doctor.
    But equally could have been for Amy later (choosing between Danny and the Doctor).

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

I adore this series and this song

Anonymous @

@thekrynoidman

that was awesome, thank you.

God, am I in such an awful mood today. Two weeks ago I chipped a tooth but couldn’t see the dentist. Then, four days ago, I ended up chipping it again. This time, it was like a spike of ceramic and being thick thought, “I’ll stick my finger in and see what it’s like.”  I promptly bit through my finger!

Then at the dentist, the lovely technician kept saying “I’m concerned how close we are to the nob. The nob is a problem”

I’m thinking “Aw, hell, this nob must be important and I never ever heard of it. How dumb am I?”

After 10 mins and more “nobs”, I realised she meant “nerve. We have to be careful of the nerve.”

Ah Jeezus!

“What happened to you….and what happened to me…the day went by so fast.”   Indeed it did. It always does at the dentist.

HatingAllDentists, puro.

ichabod @ichabod

@purofilion   Nobody ever needs adventures with the nob of a tooth.  *Nobody*.  So sorry!  Better days ahead . . . !

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

In celebration of New Horizons reaching Pluto, I’ll repost a video for Pluto Drive by The Creatures (Siouxsie Sioux s other band). A great achievement by the NASA team.

Just look at the pretty pictures!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I apologise for calling you out on your metal aversion @whisht. Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed ACDCs Back in Black. Have you heard any of their earlier stuff with Bon Scott? As it’s a quiet Sunday morning, have something mellow:

In a similar vein of metal showing its roots, and cosmic things, here is Black Sabbath’s Planet Caravan from their Paranoid album. Truly music to get stoned to.

@purofilion

The Church! I know their output well, and I’ve got all their albums and more than a few singles on vinyl from Unguarded Moment onwards. I guess if anyone remembers them in the UK it would be for Under the Milky Way which got a bit of airplay at the time and then later in the film Donnie Darko. Another, relaxing cosmic track. I do like this version:

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

awesome, thank you! The voice is notable isn’t it? and whilst the chords are predictable it works damn fine with the lyrics which roll off the tongue nicely.

A few peeps have commented on this style of chord progression with other Oz bands and I think it’s true: the A; A7/13/; F; G. Always a minor ‘uplift’ which lends a question to an antecedent phrase. Pleasantly adequate 😉

With Planet Caravan, my parents, on seeing the poster, asked a friend to oil paint an ‘abstract’ along those lines. It’s still in the house and I remember various boyfriends cackling and pointing, “Black Sabbath; you have cool parents” and ma and pa would be all “what the heck? We are not Satanists.”

They never hid it though -a singular pride?

Possibly  (or a “what are we going to hang in its place?”).

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – he he, me and Metal can remain a fun thread!

;¬)

Enjoyed Ride On (mainly as its on the ‘hard rock’ end of the spectrum rather than cock rock perhaps…)

;¬0

And really enjoyed Black Sabbath.
    Made me go all cosmic, and dig out this little gem playing the background as I type…..

……man…..

Whisht @whisht

in fact @phaseshift I hope you’ll be amused to know that I saw the Ozrics at Glastonbury one year and remember dancing very very hard to this one!

Pretty sure no drugs were involved (though memory is hazy, and it was Glastonbury, and it was the Ozrics….).
    Think you’ll enjoy this….

;¬)

@phaseshift love AC/DC and Black Sabbath (not a fan of metal though).

I’m not sure if it’s particually well known, but I quite like this AC/DC track from the film Last Action Hero. The music video itself is fun because they actually got Arnie to appear in it.

I know that some of you don’t think much of Oasis, but I think their first couple of albums have some great songs on them

Anonymous @

@whisht

no drugs from your angle, maybe, but on theirs? I’m pretty sure there’s a mix of interesting stuff.

loved that track from the ozrics -very Who-ish, actually.

@thekrynoidman

awesome!

Anonymous @

This song reminds me of Primer because:
    1) Like Craig said for Primer – why?? Didn’t I hear Snuff before now
    2) I think it is much better than the poor sound recording makes it seem

@thekrynoidman – Snuff do a cover of Whatever Happened to….

Missy @missy

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Apart from the classics, you can’t go far wrong with the whole Doctor Who musical score by Murray Gold, in particular the new Doctor’s theme.

Also the soundtrack of Neverwhere. Anyone heard that?

Arbutus @arbutus

Happy Birthday, @purofilion!

Anonymous @

@arbutus

thank you very much, indeed. What a lovely song with all the happiest of sentiments.

Now, this is The Forum: optimistic, fun, friendly, poetic aaand… gold gee-tars!

“May your feet always be swift…May you stay forever young”

Warm thanks.

Puro

Anonymous @

@whisht @thekrynoidman @Purofilion

Warning: This is no match for @phaseshift’s AC/DC selections and awesome space videos.  

Possibly one for the omnisexual TL shipper theories? 😆

@fowl God, I remember watching Spongebob when I was younger. Here’s another AC/DC cover with a Spongebob connection (can anyone guess what it is)

Anonymous @

@barnable

Thank you for that!  it was wonderful to hear   <<*\*>> (music coming out of my ears!)

“Great Balls of Fire…..she’s got big balls….

But we’ve got the biggest balls of them all!

@missy sorry about my awfully late reply. No, I don’t know the sound track of Neverwhere. It’s good, yeah? Certainly agree with you on Murray Gold. I was watching The Wedding of River Song and his beautiful, lyrical soundtrack was awesome. This guy devotes the energy of a film to each episode. I’m surprised he hasn’t aged much. He still looks great -and fairly relaxed, considering the work load. His conductor and fellow orchestrator is also terrific. Saw him when he came to Sydney three years ago. I have the poster and T-shirt to prove it. Alex Kingston was there too and also Mark…?  who plays Rory’s dad.

@thekrynoidman

Ah, ‘Highway to Hell’. We must be posting at the same place in the space/time continuum….. I’ll have to listen and get back to you…

Kindest,

puroooo (singing)

I’m going to see the film Tommy, based on the rock opera by The Who, at a screening in Whitley Bay which is followed by a Q and A by Roger Daltrey himself. In anticipation of this I thought I would post one of my favourite songs from the album

Arbutus @arbutus

Apparently there’s big band music, and then there’s Big Band music.

Anonymous @

@arbutus amazing FF video! Imgur comments are hilarious!!

Happy Birthday @Purofilion! Glad you liked the Bon Scott ac/dc. I almost went with the real video, but SpongeBob was too funny to resist.

Great song @thekrynoidman but that cover sounds like Jumpsuit Elvis sings ac/dc. 👿

@fowl It’s Tiny Tim. I posted his version because one of his songs was in an episode of Spongebob(that was me trying to be clever)
    Here’s the original

Missy @missy

@purofilion

Don’t apologise, I’m not on here often and have only just seen your post. How it is that Murray
    Gold alswys manages to suit his music to the various actors baffles me. In particular the theme for Peter Capaldi’s Doctor – it’s just him.
    We saw the Doctor Who spectacular when it cam to Perth early this year and Ben Foster was conducting, and to listen to the Theme LIVE was mind boggling.

As for Neverwhere, this is an audio disc of a BBC play production written by Neil Gaiman. I believe it’s been done before, so this was a new adaptation. The incidental music is superb.

Quite surprised to hear about the passing of Cilla Black today. She was a very talented singer.

Whisht @whisht

I’ve just got to say how shocked I was to hear of Cilla Black’s passing.
    She was a staple of TV when I was growing up.
    This obviously meant that I didn’t think much of her at the time (because I would have been so exposed to her in light entertainment shows) and took her for granted.

Which proves I know nothing.

She had a particular voice but worked really really hard. And I was really saddened when I heard she’d passed away.

@krynoidman posted a great track of hers that I probably would have done. So here’s one that in a way shows here strengths because it contrasts with some limitations (but bear with me – its to show her strengths).

The intimacy and honesty she could get from her half-spoken singing is incredible (to me). In my mind’s ear she works similarly to Dusty Spingfield and though Dusty’s range may be greater that shouldn’t take away Cilla’s quality. Maybe the reason she was so successful with Surprise Surprise and Blind Date was that they were honest and heartfelt (though admittedly it takes skill to always be like that and bring it across over tv).

So, here’s a track that I think illustrate those intimate singing moments (even if they are between a song’s lung-belting parts)

Whisht @whisht

now….. @arbutus.

I. Love. You.

But purely in a platonic/musiphonic way
    (its Doctor Who so musiphonic’s a madey-uppy word obviously).

Still – you’ve also made me love Dave Grohl even more and I’m afraid I now don’t know if I can’t stalk him until we marry.

I thought the video/music event had been instigated by him and I’d thought “cool”.

Instead it was instigated by fans who thought he might like it enough that he might come to play their city.

Which makes them massively amazing, but also what a credit to him that they thought ‘yeah – he’d like this’!

{sigh}

btw – I think whoever was engineering the sound (or whatever their job titles) how this wasn’t presented as a muddy mess of people playing deserves a ton of credit.

and btw – am I the only one to think that as the guy is thanking everyone at the end someone should be standing and sayng “I am spartacus” or something similar!? 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

Reposting my earlier replies that were lost in the cloud (although without most of whatever deep views might have been attached).

@fowl   Thanks for the Rush! I hold Geddy Lee in some esteem. Here is my pong to your ping:

@thekrynoidman  @whisht   I had lots of love for your tunes and comments regarding Cilla Black, but can’t remember exactly what I said. Here is my musical response. (I did remark that I remember a French version being around the airwaves a bit, back in the day.)

Apparently The Kinks recorded an instrumental version of Lola on their album Percy, which was the soundtrack to some bad 1970’s sex comedy. Just thought I would put it here for those curious.

ichabod @ichabod

Just — because?  Though not into rap, this got to me; enjoy (I hope)!

https://www.facebook.com/lostateminor/videos/10153309510468972/?fref=nf

I hope the link works!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ichabod Many thanks for that. My grandparents were deaf so I have a real affection for all those people who make life more inclusive for deaf people. I was overjoyed to see signers on stage at Glastonbury this year. Because deafness is like sight really. Some have never heard, but there is a sliding scale and most “deaf” people have heard in their childhood or even adulthood, and most can hear a little bit. But having a signer helps.

One thing is sure, they can all feel the bass through their body at a gig. Which is why hip hop is such a great choice.

I shared it with my family on Facebook and they loved it.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ichabod Found her on YouTube. Everyone should watch this. There is just a pure love of communication in this video.

ichabod @ichabod

@George Bailey  Good!  So glad I’m hoping this clip goes viral in a big way.  It’s drama, dance, and visualized music all rolled into one spectacular treat — recognition of a new art form?  It just makes me smile and smile . . . !

Anonymous @

@ichabod –You might like the movie 8 Mile if you like the song? I agree that lady does the best ASL video.  

@Arbutus – Rush is brilliant!! You read my mind with that video. I like it even more than ‘Lime’light. 🙂

This might be my favorite. @Purofilion you just watched Psycho? no offense intended but maybe you will like the Hitchcock references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peraafUFQ_A&feature=player_detailpage

Anonymous @

@barnable

Indeed I did: but no way was I gonna read the youtube comments. I can JUST imagine “bay’s a f****er and Hitch is a cock, Tarantino is sleazy and…and …and.” Nope. Not worth it; but the site’s great and the link was fun!

Ta to you.  Ahem, we’re on the. wrong.  thread.  Barn! Wrong thread!

No, yours was music, my comment aint!

:ducking:

Arbutus @arbutus

@fowl

Whisht @whisht

RIP George Cole

As one YT commenter (Dondonesque Strikes) says:

“I defy anyone to listen to this without mentally raising their lapels, settling an imaginary trilby on their head and walking away keeping their back to a wall!”

(honestly I’m not on ‘death watch’ or anything but maybe its just my (middle)age.

@whisht I’ll always remember him in this

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thekrynoidman I have a friend who always finished her DJ sets with that. I shared on Facebook earlier and there is a lot of love for Arthur Daley tonight.

@craig Not surprised. Minder was a great series and he was great in it.

Anonymous @

@whisht @craig @thekrynoidman

thanks for that update. I had no idea! What a tremendous actor. A legend.

ichabod @ichabod

@fowl  Barnable, I’ve seen bits of Eight Mile — more than I care for of a musical form that I don’t normally respond to much.  It’s the ASL beauty that caught my attention and dragged the music with me . . .

Since I’m in a bit of a Kung Fu flick mood at the moment…

Kharis @kharis

@todeledo and @purofilion thank you!  I enjoy as many sources of new music as possible, especially Doctor Who themed music, trippy dance music, folk music and classical.

@missy yes, Murray Gold blows my mind too.  He is a true genius.

Whisht @whisht

so in The Cloven Hoof there’s been much chat of non-alcoholic beverages.

I know – in a pub.

However, tea was mentioned so here’s two choons that feature tea.

There are many others, but these seemed to go together.
    The first talks about how even a spoonful of tea can be enough (though maybe he’s singing about a spoonful of something else far less healthy…), while the other admits that… well, not everything’s everyone’s cup of tea.

and…

Whisht @whisht

And now, to stretch the plausibility of why I’m actually linking songs…

{cough}

…here’s a (ninja)choon that links food and crows (which we weren’t discussing when we were discussing Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, though we could have been).

Its damn near seamless my DJing*.

*no, you’ll be unsurprised to learn that I don’t DJ and the only time I ever looked after the decks while a friend was incapacitated (by his own doing {cough} ) I hadn’t a clue. Why all the white labels? How the hell could I find anything I even remotely recognised??
    I dropped tunes like someone dropping spanners onto a draining board.

or people’s heads.

ooohhhh the tune after Crow is a live set…. uh oh, there goes bedtime….

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht     Howlin Wolf, beautiful. Well done. How about this for a tea song (with a callout to @thekrynoidman)?

Whisht @whisht

so, there’s obviously a wonderful conversation over in the Cloven Hoof about grub (perhaps the offerings of pub grub aren’t up to much) and you may say I’m being obvious, but as I say to my team “you can’t be too effing* obvious”

*though obviously I actually swear.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 1,009 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 2’ is closed to new replies.