General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Greetings @puroandson. It has been a while in these Who-less days.

I have given this request a bit of thought, as there is so much to choose from, and any suggestion is clearly going to be highly subjective. And then there is the age: 15, not, say, 17. So, after pondering this a while I cast my mind back to the films I saw for the first time when I was 15, one sticks out as making an indelible impression on me, for many reasons, but most importantly for its central theme that the main character refused to conform to social values he knew were wrong, and if he was going to “prove”himself, it was going to be on his terms and not because it was expected of him. At 15, I realized the character played by Gregory Peck captured the “character” (in the personal sense) that I wanted to cultivate. And I was just old enough to see the political allegory being played out in the story of two warring clans in the desolate wastes of Texas.

The film, was of course, “The Big Country” (1957) with Gregory Peck. Fantastic widescreen photography, and a brilliantly stirring soundtrack.

It still remains one of my all-time favourite movies, and I watch it regularly.

It needs a good Blu-Ray version, a really big screen, and the sound turned up!

@puroandson

Here is a brilliant orchestral version of the soundtrack to “The Big Country” by Jerome Moross.

One of the great soundtracks of all time, in my opinion.

@puroandson

Hmmm. Big question.

No music collection is complete without a bit of Springsteen (either Darkness at the Edge of Town or The River, depending on your penchant for suicide music 😉 – Point Blank may be the most unrelenting angrily bleak song ever). But if you want to be really hardcore, go Nebraska.

For a one-off, Jeff Buckley’s Grace is peerless and really shows the talent that was lost when he died (also the definitive version of Hallelujah).

Lest he ever stray into the belief that Adele can sing the blues, then either Frank or Back to Black by Amy Winehouse will provide the necessary corrective.

Oh, and Carmina Burana (André Previn/ London Symphony Orchestra version).

Am assuming Led Zep IV, Peter Gabriel 3 are a given.

And I chuck in Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures.

I’d argue that collections need to be permitted for Ella Fitzgerald (Gold) and Nina Simone (The Essential Collection).

Now. Film

Field of Dreams: timeless and really not even slightly about baseball (no knowledge of it required);

Silent Running: 2001’s quieter and more intelligent cousin;

The Dish (which you really ought to have seen, but brilliantly captures the wonder of the moon missions);

Local Hero. Just lovely;

The Maltese Falcon/ The Big Sleep. Humph, Sam Spade and Philip Marlow. ’nuff sed;

Gold Diggers of 1933 (just to see if he spots what it is really about) Gold Diggers of 1935 and 42nd Street are technically superior, but ’33 is the invention of an entire genre);

The Outlaw Josey Wales – by a mile Eastwood’s finest achievement.

A Fistfull of Dollars/ For a Few Dollars More/ The Good The Bad and the Ugly. All three.

All The President’s Men (great cast and excellent look at journalism, but also very much of its era) – and then see Spotlight too!

And, yes. The Godfather (but especially The Godfather II).

Not film, but TV: Edge of Darkness (BBC 1985-ish). Bob Peck, pre-fame Joanne Whalley. One of TV’s finest achievements.

That’ll do for now.

@blenkinsopthebrave

**Clicks “Like”.**

Arbutus @arbutus

Nice list @pedant     To your suggestions of compilations that count, I would add Bob Marley’s Legend, and to your Springsteen suggestion, Born to Run (I confess I haven’t kept up with his recent output, but I have all the earlier stuff and they are essential).

(I would have agreed with Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah as “definitive” until I heard k.d. lang’s. Gives it a run for the money in my view. I believe I have posted it before so I won’t again but it blows me away every time.)

Additionally, @puroandson, how about these?

If you liked the Byrds: Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Deja Vu
    If you liked Dylan: The Band, Songs from Big Pink
    And because it’s great: The Clash, London Calling

A couple of films that Young Arbutus liked a few years back and still considers some of the best (even now that he is fully into his action and apocalypse phase), are The Sting and Casablanca.

Arbutus @arbutus

On another topic, I was so, so fortunate this past weekend to hear Collegium Vocale Gent performing the Lagrime di San Pietro of Orlando de Lassus. It was breathtaking, I can’t remember when I last heard such gorgeous singing. Some kind soul has posted the entire thing on YouTube, so here is a taste:

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

thank you very much indeed. We love Greg Peck in this household. In a film with a crew of the famous, he says: “I speak German. Perfect.”

We imitate his voice  all the time. But, Question: what’s the movie, people?

@arbutus also. Yes, The Sting! I think Son watched it a few months back and enjoyed it -not as much as Butch Cassidy. In any movie when they shout “it’s the fall that’s gonna kill you” we shout “oh, oh” and he shouts back “YES, I know!!” Ah, The Clash. Forgot about that.

Ah @pedant. I was silly wasn’t I? I was talking about this on the phone with the d’elder brother and he said I already have The Fistful of $. Also, Big Bad etc…What I don’t have but what I borrowed and will now buy is Josey -coz you mentioned it before. Brilliant (brother knows what I have because on his trips he raids the DVD cupboard)

Yes, Carmina Burana -I’m an idiot and never thought of that. And I did buy Grace and his Dad’s album also which isn’t something he likes at ALL now but he will eventually. As to the rest, I shall print this up.

Many thanks!!

Puro Solo.

@puroandson Well, the movie is “The Big Country” and her is a clip. The clip does not feature the admirable characters, but it captures beautifully the the way that loyalty (or even love) can overcome even rational thought.

It really is a great movie.

@puroandson Well, the movie is “The Big Country” and her is a clip. The clip does not feature the admirable characters, but it captures beautifully the the way that loyalty (or even love) can overcome even rational thought.

It really is a great movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SDYkONnfCw

@puroandson Well, the movie is “The Big Country” and here is a clip. The clip does not feature the admirable characters, but it captures beautifully the the way that loyalty (or even love) can overcome even rational thought.

It really is a great movie

Whoops. A bit of duplication there…apologies.

@puroandson

Totally forget, for films: A Matter of Life And Death – a reasonable case for the finest British film ever (almost any Powell & Pressburger – A Canterbury Tale for when Spawn is much more grown up: it is rich meat!)

And The Big Country is very good (as were the band of the same name, for a bit of Celtic rock)

Come to think of it, specifically British films, in addition to Local Hero: Kes; Gregory’s Girl; Made in Dagenham;

Oooh, and since he’s 14 going on 15 he should see Walkabout. He can thank me later.

And back to music, very obscure but K’s Choice’s Paradise in Me  – does not include Virgin State of Mind, which was in Buffy, but does include the utterly brilliant Not An Addict, acoustic version below:

Whisht @whisht

@puroandson

a list a list!! Yes!

My taste “eclectic” ? – thanks but its closer to ‘eratic’. Though actually I reckon that I’m not as different as I used to like to think I was…. (I fear all my pseudo tendencies).

Ok, so what can I add…..?

Well, you’ve been given loads of “classics” and I can’t argue with any of them. Though as its personal taste some I still can’t get to like (Pet Sounds… I know I should but….).

But it made me remember how I got to hear music.
    When I was somewhere between 12 and 15, my ‘internet’ (ie random access to music not based on stuff in the house) was the library.
    It was ace – CDs for a week or two for 50p. Instantly copied onto tapes of course!
    Just like my intake of books (2-3 sci-fi novels a week based solely on the cover… and author if I’d read them before).
    I just inhaled albums – stuff I thought I ‘should’ like, weird stuff, compilations etc etc.

Hell, I even got a Japanese No theatre CD* once. I’d try anything!
    * it was wonderfully awful/ brilliant.

So, I now go to the local Oxfam charity shop and trawl their CDs. “Win win” as it were!
    Most recent great but completely-unknown-to-me album?
    An Ethiopiques compilation.
    Bloomn’ brilliant!
    🙂

So – what else can I think of….? Well, in my house I had the good fortune to have East Side Story by Squeeze and Armed Forces by Elvis Costello in the house. That was handy as it trained a bit of my ear!

Have to go to bed, but one artist I was glad to stumble across was David Sylvian. I got two albums early on and I’m not sure he’s done much better. I can’t tell if its pretentious crap, noodling or awesome sonic-pretentious-crap-noodling!!
    I listen to it a lot when reading!

The only other thing I can recommend would be to recommend a non-classic. Or at least a ‘classic’ that doesn’t get enough recognition due to the artist.

Yep – my (I’m not really feeling that guilty) secret is Face Value by Phil Collins.

honestly. Not often but I’ll dig it out every five years or so.

As for fillums…..

Jazz on a Summers Day ?

Anonymous @

@pedant

Matter of Life and Death. Lord I haven’t heard of this at all! But I get it: “rich meat”. Some things at Christmas my brother said “hmm, I don’t think that’s for my nephew, just yet”. Desperately wanting to prove him wrong, he started watching them and had to turn them off either red faced or white faced. Same for…jeepers, what’s that film….Rutger Hauer? Harrison Ford? Futuristic. I think it’s a classic and Son was ready to watch it and went “what the hell? This is depressing.” I said “well, yes, and no, the end is different.” But he had to turn it off and will wait a year or three. I was about 20 when I first saw it.

That was an awesome song (Puro speaking like an teen). The ‘middle 8’ reminded me of two Beatles songs -beautiful dorian modes. And perfect harmony. Niiice.

Excellent choices in every thing else. I will say this as I trust you. I don’t know Walkabout. Why don’t I? I must google it. 🙂 Made In Dagenham ?  I think this is whirring about my head as a memory.

@whisht, man, that was a big and also awesome list. Not a fan of Pet Sounds? -not many ppl are these days 🙁

Phil Collins. heheheheh. OK. You’re serious. I will definitely look him up again. Shouldn’t laugh. I danced a lot to young Phil when I was at uni. A friend of mine there turned every song into a classic arrangement. Nuts but clever.

Sylvian. Yesss. I know this person. What is noodling? I know k’noodling

Costello. Good choice. – totally forgotten about him. Red face.

I love No theatre by the way. Seriously. Very good for meditation.

Hmmm. Philosophy.

We all have pseudo tendencies. You, probably less than others, Whisht. You crack me up. As for “fillums” no one in Bris, lately, pronounces it that way anymore – I hope! Thx for the Summer’s Day!

Thank you for all the inputs. <gleefully rubbing hands>

@puroandson

For clarity, A Canterbury Tale is the rich meat, although I’m fairly sure you would love it (Churchill hated it). A Matter of Life And Death is simply sublime, with every shot a work of pure invention.

Walkabout – Nick Roeg (dir) and Jenny Agutter (being Jenny). The juxtaposition of the words “Jenny”  and “Agutter” should set any right-thinking lad’s pulse racing.

On the subject of the Blessed Jenny, anyone serious about understanding film should also watch The Railway Children, to understand how the perfect children’s movie is put together (the 1970 one, not the later remake).

Oh, and Blade Runner. Of course it was depressing. It was a dystopia. And Deckard was a replicant. “It’s too bad she won’t live; but then again, who does?”

Oooh, ooh. If you can find it, an early George Lucas (pre-Star Wars): THX 1138. The way that ends is just …. to even hint would spoil it. He really can tell a story when he’s not being a dick.

And an equally early Steven Spielberg: The Duel.

(Squeeze is, indeed, an important one to add to the music. I think, along with Legend for Marley a collection (The 45s) might be in order.)

Anonymous @

@pedant

Oh yes, the best Spielberg is Duel in my opinion. And that’s already wrapped for xmas!! Read my mind.

Loved it when I saw it decades ago. Such talent – but later, his talent (possibly) wasted – imo.

Blade Runner: thank you. Exactly, a dystopia. And it’s not that he dislikes depressing films/stories. At all. But at just 14 I think he wasn’t quite ready.

At 11, he already decided Quiz Show was one of his all time favourites and not because of  John Turturro but also Scofield. I think Rob Morrow’s an underrated actor myself and did very well in that film -by and large.

Ah, I see -I failed to read your post correctly with respect to A Canterbury Tale. Churchill hated it?

We all share your opinion of Jenny Agutter. For some reason when spell checking her name, it came up with this JA: Spooks, The Avengers. Really?

A Matter of Life and Death: again, haven’t heard of this but will Goggle it  —  🙂

Thx for the clarifying. I need plenty of this today as morphine dosage set on HIGH. Screen be wobbly. LOL.

Have an op coming up to remove the kidney stones which these days is a simple lithotripsy; in/out with only a bruise left. Hopefully.

Kindest

PuroSolo

Anonymous @

@pedant THX 1138 I’ve never heard of this? How is that! My bro is an expert on good Lucas and Spielberg. But then he also knows the partnership of Taupin and Elton John (not exactly an awesome two-some, as it were).

Yes, we have Legend… But I needed the reminder. Lots of bookshelves and time for a chuck out as many are pretty worthless VCRs. Funny. Years ago when  running around Europe for 6 months with my parents -working/studying, my father filmed everything and I was the 24 year old narrator. There I am with big hair, little tight shorts women wore when exercising in the ’80s/ ’90s and an array of loud t-shirts displaying “up with the revolution’. Son won’t allow me to be rid of these tapes.

Also, there were some  good music t-shirts on Dvorak, Beatles, advertising the various music festivals across America and the tennis championships in Kitzbuhel. Honestly, he tells me he’s going to flog them on facebook at which point I’ll stop feeding him. I also ruin any chances of him playing soccer.

I don’t know The Railway Children. Goodness, this is reminding me that I’m under 50 and there’s a lot of good film I’ve missed. The general dreck out there stops me from going to the cinema at all. Same with Jazz concerts also (illness aside). But yes, I really wanted to see Spotlight. The advertisements and rave reviews were one thing but various friends who I trust implicitly said it was utterly brilliant but that they didn’t take their young teenage children.

Not sure? It’ll be one for the ‘classics’ collection but not one he’ll see right away? What do you think?

Kindest,

Puro

PS: thanks for the reminder about House. I dropped both Farscape (couldn’t handle it any more) and Fringe which drove me insane. I’m sure it would be better in the final season but we’re pretty much drowning happily in House at the mo     😈

<gleeful again>

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave and @pedant @lisa @arbutus and others

During my inquiries, JB Hi Fi has managed to order quite a lot on the lists!

Unfortunately they can’t order  THX 1138 (but it isn’t discontinued).

The Big Country IS discontinued. <bummer>

It’s possible a kind soul popped it on youtube -which, according to Mr Blenkinsop, isn’t the correct way to watch it but I’ll give it a try. I should, by now, be connecting my laptop (she is called Stellar, after all!) to the telly for better visuals. Silly. I must get on to that. Plenty of HDMI cables rolling around the house.

Thank you for your lists ladies and  gentleman: great help for birthday and Christmas classics lists for Son as he ages.

PuroSolo  <happy watching during these Who-less times>

@puroandson

“The Big Country” is discontinued in Australia?! Clearly, the nation is in decline…

But, yes, I think the whole movie has been posted on youtube. Yet there may be an alternative. Do you know if your DVD player is region free? (quite a lot sold in OZ are) If so (and it only works for dvds not bluray) then you should know that “The Big Country” is readily available on DVD via amazon (both US and Canadian). But…then there are the postage charges. Hmm. On second thought it might be better to explore the youtube option.

But in any event, it sounds like you are rapidly acquiring an excellent movie collection courtesy of all the great suggestions!

And on that note, @pedant, I couldn’t agree more about the genius of all the Powell and Pressburger films. My personal favourite is probably “I Know Where I’m Going”…or is it “A Canterbury Tale”? Or “The Small Back Room”? Or “A Matter of Life and Death”? Or…

Well, you get my point. The list just goes on and on. The amazing richness of their output over the course of the 1940s is simply staggering.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

Yes, indeed, Mr Blenkinsop the nation is in decline  -and for many, many reasons 🙁

I will explore the youtube option but you’re right about Amazon. Generally, I think you can purchase region particular DVDs on Amazon (from memory) but we also have a Blu-ray player too -the Blu-ray is attached to the ordinary telly but the DVD is in my ‘home made’ media room and that gets to go “boom boom” when the sound is upped. Thank you for all your advice and The Big Country Soundtrack.

Whilst some movies in my list are not films he’ll watch now, I’m hoping he’ll recognise the  classics as he grows up. We made a mistake last year in purchasing the film version of Tinker Tailor…with Gary Oldman. It looked good but compared with the original series, nothing doin’. I re-gifted it to a mate who loves movies -ANY movies any time 🙂

And on that note, @pedant, I couldn’t agree more about the genius of all the Powell and Pressburger films. My personal favourite is probably “I Know Where I’m Going”…or is it “A Canterbury Tale”? Or “The Small Back Room”? Or “A Matter of Life and Death”? Or..”

I have shown my absolute ignorance of Powell and pressburger! I don’t know those films at all. Must get a look at A Matter of Life and Death directly.

Kindest and thank you all.

PuroSolo

@puroandson

Puro, you really should take the plunge with Powell and Pressburger.

Here is a clip of the opening of “A Canterbury Tale”. It was made (and set) in 1944, and alludes to the pilgrimage stories of Chaucer. The opening begins with with a scene from Chaucer and then cuts seamlessly to the present.

It is one of the most sublime openings to a movie ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rFWlT5gdgw

Whisht @whisht

oh for the love of god.

Really?

And it seems hard to find any music online…. (sigh).

Guess I’ll have to dig out something – maybe When Doves Cry

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@whisht

Yeah. It’s getting to the point where I’m going ‘Does God have a gig on?’ 🙁

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht @bluesqueakpip Am beginning to think there’s some sort of slow Rapture going on with all the best people going first (Lemmy being No. 1 of course). I may make the encore if I’m lucky. Save a drink for me.

This will probably be deleted as quick as it was posted…

Arbutus @arbutus

Oh crap.

Arbutus @arbutus

And this. I think my heart has exploded.

Anonymous @

@arbutus @craig @pedant and all the lovers of the good music. I was introduced to Prince by my brother when I was 12. Parents horrified. But I truly discovered real music at that point and the icing on the top of it. A real performer and genuine talent.

I need a flippin drink. A large one.

@bluesqueakpip -you’re right -a gig in the stars. But we don’t get to see it. 🙁

Puro Miserable

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

thank you for the clip -I appreciate it. My brother and other family members know this well. Where have I been all this time? Good news is that this site continues to introduce me to excellent film and music -and cast members too.

Thank you all!

Puro

Wait for a couple of minutes in…

Anonymous @

@pedant

Still my guitar… gently weeps. Indeed….

I unhooked my drip so I could dance for that one. The technique, the cadences, the fucking harmonics…..an experience.

Thank you.

Whisht @whisht

@pedant @puroandson

The words “nailed it” just oozed from Prince at the end.

Its a kinda “I’m-gonna-effing-own-this” away from all the other reverential players, but today, I kinda like that.

Whisht @whisht

btw @puroandson I was away this week and didn’t get chance to change my rambling ‘songs for Scion’ entry.

What I was trying to say was that actually at 14, 15 for me it wasn’t coming across ‘the classics’ that had an affect, as it was coming across anything and everything!

At that age I was probably lucky in that although some of the stuff I was listening to (and reading!!) was probably crap, it also meant listening to stuff that had completely different ‘sounds’ like crackly old Blues and Jazz, stark Punk, stodgy Rock, un-crackly Electronic, airy Folk, smooth Modern Classical etc etc etc.
    This had nothing to do with me but mainly due to random things like being given a blues harmonica and then buying CDs to play along to, having Irish parents with Irish folk music, siblings listening to pop and some Punk and Electro and Autobahn, being of an age where “O Superman” and “Close to the Edit” was on the radio (both stopping me in my tracks), and delving into a public library where someone had been ordering all sorts of stuff…

So…. I guess looking back I kinda enjoyed discovering stuff.
    I still have a penchant for buying random collections of ‘various artists’ even though they might be crap – one thing on it might be brilliant.

So (ramble nearly over) I’d suggest a compilation album or two is definitely in order.
    Maybe (if we’re sticking to stuff that was contemporary to our generation) Old Grey Whistle Test, or a John Peel collection.

or just some random shit* – its time for experimenting!!

* did I mention that I used to judge books by their cover ?

Anonymous @

@whisht

totally agree with you there -in terms of discovering stuff. My poor parents were into Richard Clayderman and light classical which I found awful but Dad played the violin when he was a youngster before escaping Bohemia (I mean that literally) and also the piano accordion . He had a natural ear and so I discovered him hiding a copy of Revolver which he didn’t want to tell Mum about!

Certainly my brother was the one who introduced me to good jazz (and not some diluted, sugary stuff for Easy Listening stations) including Miles D, Bela Fleck, and on and on….His was an interest in music without vocals. Even now, there’s only a few CDs with vocals attached. And I’m working on that.

Thx to youtube and an attitude of discovery that you had, Whisht,  Son is trolling the ‘waves’ and finding some really great music -whether it be punk, rock, pop or some fusion thing. He stays away from most rap (just not his thing) -bar Eminem. I’ve never heard a single of bar him/them/it. Clueless about Em. (see what I did there? Cripes I’m sooo funny!!)

Old Grey Whistle Test -haven’t thought of that in a long time. Either it was you or someone else who sparked that memory the last time (on this Forum) and I agree with you about Prince’s “own it/nail it” and I didn’t mind one tiny bit. Harrison would have loved it. Distinct improvement on the original, mind, but that’s just my opinion.

I’ll take your suggestion of some more compilations. He discovered Dylan that way finding Blonde on Blonde too tough to take when he was, erm, six (yeah, a bit young mebbe) but liked the Dylan CD  collection Number 1 and same with both Bowie (Changes compilation 1) and Queen. Even ABBA was a favourite at 4 years of age. Which, you know, I didn’t bash him over the head for.

And at the risk of being killed, I actually always thought ABBA’s pop was underrated and their stuff effortlessly sounding but difficult and remarkably clever  -you know, for Scandinavians! 😉

Again, I thank you for the links. In the last few days people have provided us with so much good material to listen to. Absolutely no excuse to have no taste these days 🙂  -or access to excellent choons.

The Puros thank you

@whisht

Apprently Olivia originally only wanted people who knew George. But Prince asked to take part because he wanted to perform with Tom Petty (because he loved Free Fallin’).

Hmmm. Tom Petty. While it would be wrong to say he is underrated (because he is held in high esteem by anyone who matters), he is probably not as generally appreciated as he ought to be.

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – ah, thanks for that.

It prodded me to actually find out if that was George’s son on guitar at the back – and it was.

His look of joy at what Prince was doing was what made me like it as much as anything – just joy in the performance.

And yep – I’m kinda guilty of liking what I’ve heard of Petty’s (like this single), but never going out and listening to the rest.
    dumbdumbdumbdedumb

@whisht @puroandson

Back to Prince, this is both entertaining, informative and historical (it is marked as public so should play).

https://www.facebook.com/FarrelltronGraphics/videos/1036358926388042/

Re Petty – check out Damn The Torpedoes. Refugee is a great song.

Whisht @whisht

well, according to her own site, this is the new companion.

Who’d a thought?

@whisht

hahahahahahahahaha.

Of course Earl’s A Winger was better.

@whisht @puroandson

Also, you can tell the esteem musicians are held in by the one’s who play their songs in tribute.

Arbutus @arbutus

@pedant       Wow. I haven’t listened to Damn the Torpedoes in years. I have it on vinyl, which I can’t currently play, so I went onto YouTube and listened to the whole thing. I couldn’t believe how well I still knew every track. Here it is, everyone who has never heard it go listen at once.

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    I followed your link to Pearl’s site. Apparently she can sing. Will we be looking forward to “Musical Evenings with Bill and the Doctor”?  🙂

@pedant    Thanks for the Prince and Springsteen links. The Purple Rain performance is both fabulous and fascinating, and The Boss is, well, The Boss!

Arbutus @arbutus

And here’s what I actually came here to post! For anyone interested in the earliest of early music: Extreme Retro.  A reconstructed, millenium-old tune.

@arbutus

Some years ago a friend took me to a concert of early works of Thomas Tallis, about whom I was wholly ignorant.  It was fascinating – you could, essentially, hear modern music being invented.

Arbutus @arbutus

Hi, all! It’s my birthday today and the sun is shining. In the spirit of kids’ birthday parties where you both receive (gifts) and give (loot bags), I am requesting some music. What tracks fill you with joy? You can’t have too much joy. My loot bag for you all contains these two:

Anonymous @

ooh Bela Fleck? I love this one! Happy Birthday @arbutus

(hope this works: I’m seeing double 🙂 )

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson    Thanks for that! I don’t have enough Bela Fleck; I might have to do something about that. I love the pairing with Meyer, and Professor Google tells me that they have done a few things together.  🙂

Anonymous @

@arbutus

To ask for this for your birthday (let’s call it a birthday fortnight, shall we?) would be fantastic.

I was introduced to Edgar Meyer via my colleague at UQ whilst Meyer was working with students majoring in double bass and in some informal concert arrangements. Wonderfully funny, enthusiastic character.

I then saw Bela at a concert at The Basement in Syd about 9 years ago and promptly purchased about 6 of his CDs -some with The Flecktones incl the auspicious and clever Victor Wooten (who plays with Meyer as well -more recently). So if you’d get this one, your dreams would be answered:

Music for Two with Fleck and Meyer.

So this isn’t the rockabilly stuff Bela is known for with The Flecktones but contains some hilarious music and wonderfully composed pieces by both.

Interesting, is a DVD of about 40 mins included.  It shows how they tour (in a large bus/RV) and demonstrates their practise (and eventual success in performance) of a particularly daunting duet in an unusual time signature. There’s jokes, excerpts from concerts and the typical lambasting that Meyer gives to Bela during most concerts. Def, Meyer is the most outgoing in terms of personality so there’s a marvellous balance between these two geniuses.

You might be interested in Bela’s rendition of Bach’s preludes -a particularly fast yet gentle interpretation of the better known and virtuosic elements of the well tempered clavier -how he makes that leap to the banjo is extraordinary and in concert, brought tears to my eyes. My brother noted this and I said “nah, I’ve just had too many gin and tonics!” (in The Basement you can have a 3 course meal and sit at table with the waitpersons scuttling quietly past topping up drinks. Nothing more perfect than an evening at The Basement. The last one was a tribute to Hendrix by the violinist Nigel Kennedy).

Kindest,

Puro and the Puricle -who loves The Flecktones too)

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson     Yes, I was looking at Music for Two yesterday. It has gone onto my wish list! I have Bela on a recording called Perpetual Motion, which is a sort of grab bag of classical stuff from Bach to Debussy and many things in between. It’s gorgeous. I saw him here at the Folk Festival a number of years ago, with Abigail Washburn, which was a delight.

Now, here’s something cool for you. For my birthday, I asked for and received the latest from the Scottish band Lau, and the title track is something else. It’s a long listen, 17 minutes, and features the Elysian String Quartet doing a lot of stuff that’s pretty far out there. On first listen, I found myself thinking, “Whoa you guys, what have you done?” But the more times I’ve listened to the track, the more it has drawn me in. An absolutely haunting piece of music, where the quartet, the folk instruments, and Kris Drever’s gorgeous voice, are melded perfectly seamlessly. I’m finding that I can’t get enough of it.

And look! It’s on YouTube.  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson    Having just posted the above, it seems that the video is suddenly “not available”. Not sure why as it has apparently been up for a year, is an official release, and has garnered many views, not least mine earlier today! Possibly a temporary glitch which will go away. I hope so as i would love you to hear the track!

Anonymous @

@arbutus

Nope, I got it!!

Beautiful, isn’t it? The harmonics are incredible and the dorian ‘collapse’ at the opening -I should say arpeggio – was like a harmonious collapse -and I liked that. Not to mention the looong bow up the neck. Glory be!

Great to meditate to. Reminds me a lot of Edgar Meyer’s interest in modal work  as well as both Colin Spears and Peter Sculthorpe. The 2nd theme, darn it, is SO much like Mendelssohn’s Octet? Well, to me anyway, because that ties in with a rather notable Bach work 🙂

Thank you so much -love the addition to my mental library. The secret is to keep remembering where I ‘put’ it. :\

PuroSolo

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.